info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/05/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  4 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 80

Today's Topics:

      [*] Backgammon Game
      [*] Big Ben DA
      [*] Blackjack-11
      [*] Giffer 1.10b1
      [*] hierLauncher Utility
      [*] Tile's Play v1.0
      Accessing Unix volumes over Localtalk / Ethertalk...
      After Dark modules
      Desperately seeking SID
      Disk Dupilcators
      Foreign File Access
      Hard Disk Partitioning - Hard vs soft
      Info-Mac Inquiry
      In search of software for pre-school age.
      Latin translation on MAC info please
      Looking for languages
      Mac IIsi with 3 MB
      Mariah
      Mass Mailing
      multi-user software
      Postscript to DEC Printserver 20 connected to VAX
      printing tex on a mac
      Reading MS-DOS disks from A/UX.
      Source for 030/882 Upgrades for Mac+,SE,512K *and* 128K !
      StyleWriter VS. Deskwriter
      text database
      using Sony CD-ROM
      Warranty questions
      Wordperfect 2.0 default font changes

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 18:26:57 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: [*] Backgammon Game

Enclosed please find a Mac Backgammon game.  You can play with
the Mac or play with yourself.  Its freeware, but send the guy
5$, it won't kill you.

I did not create this program, but am uploading it for the 'net.

Kieran O'Connor

[Archived as /info-mac/game/backgammon.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 13:00 EST
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: [*] Big Ben DA

Here is BigBen, a DA by Riccardo Ettore (of SoundMover and
SndControl fame), submitted in response to a request that
appeared on this net a few days ago. When left open in the
background under MultiFinder, it shows a picture of Big Ben,
and on the hour does a shortened version of his famous chime.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/big-ben.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 91 15:33:00 EST
From: "DAVID J. GODBEY" <godbey@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: [*] Blackjack-11

Here you are folks.  This corrected version of Color Blackjack is SE tested
and guaranteed to work on your SE or Mac Plus.

Dave Godbey

[Archived as /info-mac/game/blackjack-11.hqx; 101K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 13:00:07 EST
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] Giffer 1.10b1

Here is Giffer 1.10b1. It is used to view GIF files. This version
can also open TIFF files. Files can be saved as GIF, QDV, PICT or
color StartupScreens. Beerware from Steve Blackstock of Random
Dot Software. Docs included.

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/giffer-110b1.hqx; 98K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 16:48:11 PST
From: rrr@duck.svl.cdc.com (Rich Ragan)
Subject: [*] hierLauncher Utility

hierLauncher is an application that allows you to add
applications hierarchically to the menu lists provided
by OnCue and MultiMaster.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/hier-launcher.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 18:30:19 EST
From: Subrata Kumar Sircar <sksircar@phoenix.princeton.edu>
Subject: [*] Tile's Play v1.0

Please direct all comments, replies, etc. to surshkmr@phoenix.princeton.edu
or surshkmr@PUCC.BITNET.

Tile's Play v1.0 is a action game where the player shuffles tiles on a board
(much like the grid puzzles) to provide a path for a rolling ball.  Monsters
and lightning bolts, along with bolted down tiles provide challenges for the
careful player to overcome.  This game is shareware, with a $15 fee.  It needs
a color/grayscale monitor.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/tiles-play-10.hqx; 328K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 08:10:08 EST
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Accessing Unix volumes over Localtalk / Ethertalk...

My department is looking to put a file server on one of its Sun Unix boxes and
we are investigating strategies for doing this.  The options I know about are:

 o  TOPS from Sitka
 o  KAShare from Mt. Xinu
 o  Gatorbox from Caymen
 o  FTP

What other options exist for this type of file sharing?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 09:42:03 PST
From: managan#robert#a%nersc.mfenet@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: After Dark modules

Here is a request for all you After Dark programmers out there.
Many of the modules that are written never look at whether there is
more than one screen.  I know I am being picky and that most people
are lucky to have one screen but it is good programming practice to
consider whether your module can be extended to multiple monitors.
Most all the modules bundled with After Dark do this.

Another feature to be aware of when programming for multiple
monitors is that the global coordinate (0,0) is tied to the upper
left of the screen with the manu bar; this does not have to be the
upper left corner of the bounding box for the desktop.  In other
words, the second screen can be to the left of (or above) the
screen with the menu bar.

With these two considerations your modules will be much more
general and more widely used I hope.

Rob Managan;   managan@llnl.gov

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 10:13 EST
From: Andrew Lewis <LEWIS%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Desperately seeking SID

        Does anyone out there have the SID sound digitizer specifications?
I am talking about the original, not SID-II.  I have almost all of it
myself but am missing the MacPaint picture of the circuit diagram.  And
I would like the whole thing for my BBS anyway.  Please send it to me
directly and/or post it to sumex.   Thanks!
        --Andrew Lewis, lewis@ithaca (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 09:17:17 -0600
From: Rob Schaeffer <robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Disk Dupilcators

I am looking for a disk copier so I can copy my high density SE tour disk.

I can't find anything that screams, "I am a disk duplicator," at sumex.

Any ideas?

Rob

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 91 16:30:25
From: Tom Weyer <Tom_Weyer@qmrelay.mail.cornell.edu>
Subject: Foreign File Access

Foreign File Access
                                              4/3/91            4:21 PM
I suspected an INIT conflict, and after some experimentation (kudos to John
Rotenstein's INIT cdev), I found that removing Foreign File Access (vers. 1.1
>From Apple) made the problem go away.  I originally put it there thinking I
needed it to access my CD-ROM drive, but apparently not, since the "develop" CD
comes up OK without it.

I bring this up both to help anybody that may be having the same problem and
also (just out of curiosity) to ask if anyone knows what is going on.  What is
Foreign File Access for, and why doesn't it get along with DOS Mounter?  Or is
mine an isolated case?
 -----------------

Well I believe the culprit is Foreign File Access. I have version 1.1.1d2 dated
Jan 30, 1991.  This init collides with my NightShift client software.  1.1.1d2
is the version that Apple is shipping on it's beta 4 developers disk.  I have
contacted TTI, the manufacturer of NightShif,t but have gotten no response yet.
 So what is he actually saying........   Well if you can get by without Foreign
file do it, I think it has some bugs in it, I hope that Apple is aware of it's
incompatibilities (just in case anyone from Apple is listening.....)

Tom Weyer
Cornell University
Office Support Services

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 2 Apr 1991 23:28:24 EST
From: "Jeffrey N. Fritz" <JFRITZ%WVNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Partitioning - Hard vs soft

A recent article in MacUser magazine cautioned against using soft hard drive
partitioning software.  Apparently, this kind of software creates a large file
which somehow tricks the Mac OS into thinking it's a partition.  MacUser was
concerned that such trickery is asking for trouble.

This was a surprise.  I have used AlSoft's MultiDisk (a soft partitioner that
does trick the Mac OS) for a couple of years without problem on several Macs
(Plus, SE, IIci, IIsi and Portable).  I sent an AppleLink to Apple asking for
their opinion.  They strongly agreed with MacUser's caution.  That leads to
two questions:

1.  If you use soft partitioning software, what has your experience been?

2.  What hard partitioning software have you used?  How satisfied have you
    been with it's operation?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 10:33:19 -0800
From: brein%jplgp.span@jpldig.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Info-Mac Inquiry

I have a Mac Plus with an internal hardware problem.  I think the sweep/power
supply board has failed.  Is this the right list to ask for advice?  Would I
have to subscribe to receive responses?  If it is not the right list, could you
suggest one.

Thank you
Barry Rein <BREIN@gpvax.jpl.nasa.gov>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 20:57 CDT
From: Flying Low Without Radar <KH1461A@acad.drake.edu>
Subject: In search of software for pre-school age.

Howdy, all.

I need some help. I am interested in locating software on the net
suitable for use by a pre-school age child. Can anyone tell me
if such software exists, and if so, point me in the right direction?
My system is a Mac+, with version 6.something of the operating
system. (I'm new to the Mac scene!)

Kevin Houle

KH1461A@DRAKE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 11:51:27 PST
From: bew@barney.esl.com (Bruce E Wilson)
Subject: Latin translation on MAC info please

I am helping a friend translate some 17th century manuscripts
which are mostly in Latin, yes the language is still around.

Am looking for any suggestions on two topics:
1) Spelling corrections of the Latin.  Are there any Latin dictionaries
that can be loaded into WriteNow or MicroSoft WORD?
2) Tranlation of the LATIN to ENGLISH.  What are the good language
translation systems?  I don't need a lot of fancy formatting at this
point, but either a side-by-side format or inter-linear would be good
possibilities.
   Alternatively, are there any suggestions on how to use a regular word
processor to do the translation task?

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will summarise if there is interest.
bew@esl.COM
---

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 11:22:51 EST
From: gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Looking for languages

I am interesting in finding out if there are any PD implementations
on the Mac for the following languages:

        FORTH
        SNOBOL4
        ML

Please respond directly to me and I'll summarize if necessary.
Thanks much in advance... - Gregg

Gregg TeHennepe  **  gateh@conncoll.bitnet  **  SysAdm, Connecticut College

------------------------------

Date: Wed, Apr 3, 1991 10:38:18 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: Mac IIsi with 3 MB

Mac IIsi with 3 MB

Boy, this TidBITS thing must be useful - I can just copy and paste from it into
these messages to answer all sorts of questions. :-)

>From TidBITS#48/18-Mar-91, the news from Apple on the IIsi... It's likely that
stores will still have some of the old machines in stock, which might account
for your clueless salesthing. Oh this information came directly from Apple
propaganda.

 ------------
In addition to these new prices, Apple is increasing the standard memory for
the IIsi to 3 MB (we think that Apple will accomplish this using 512K SIMMs in
the IIsi) and for the IIci to 5 MB. With the price of RAM these days, the move
allows Apple to get rid of some 256K SIMMs in the IIciUs and make a few friends
in the process.

Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 14:22:02 PST
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Mariah

I just came across a simple announcement for Mariah, a storage and retrieval
system.  It indicates that Mariah can handle a large number of formats:
PICT, EPS, TIFF etc.  Does anyone know if it can convert between all
these formats?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 91 09:49:41 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Mass Mailing

>From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
On April 2, Randy English inquired about how to send messages to CompuServe,
AOL, and other commercial services.

>From the internet, it is possible to send messages to individual subscribers
on Compuserve. AOL does not have any external gateways at this time, although
it is my understanding that they are definitely going to implement them in the
near future, but no timetable is give. GEnie does not have an external
gateway. I don't know about other services.

It is my understanding that none of the services support general mailings to
their subscribers, except from the service operators. I AM GLAD ABOUT THIS.
Randy, I don't know what you plan to send to the general public, but I
probably don't want to receive it as EMail. If ANY service begins to permit
"junk" EMail, I'll cancel that service in a wink. I'll not pay online and
download charges, plus possible storage fees, to read junk mail, and I'm sure
that I'm not alone in feeling that way.

Every commercial service has forums or message areas. You need to target your
message to one or more specific areas. Thousands and thousands of people
subscribe to CompuServe, and (gasp!) lots of them don't have, use, or even
like, Macs! In fact, lots of them don't have, use, like, or care about any
specific topic you might care to discuss.

There are many of us who read this net, for example, and have accounts on
commercial services, BBSs, etc. If you put something out and ask that it be
disseminated widely, that will happen, but in ways that are more appropriate
to the community of interest.

This is just my personal opinion, but I'll bet I'm not alone!
  Jerry Wilcox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, Apr 3, 1991 10:25:00 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: multi-user software

multi-user software

> We are running a large student lab, and are having trouble
> getting some popular software to run on the network. It is
> a real pain having to have 10 separate copies of PageMaker
> on the server, 'cause it won't run multi-user. And of
> course Aldus is no help.
>
> Does anyone have hints and/or tips on getting the following
> software to run on a network? Thanks......
>
> Pagemaker 4.0 Illustrator 3.0 Quark Express Photoshop

If you do indeed own enough copies of the software, something that works on
some, but not all programs, is to click the SHARED bit with ResEdit. Then
everyone can run the same copy of the program, at least in theory. Some
programs write to themselves, some require a separate prefs file for each
person, some like HyperCard are just too confusing to mess with multi-user,
etc. I've had success with Word, MacDraw, Excel, PageMaker, and possibly
FileMaker II, though I'm not sure of that one now that I think of it. HyperCard
was a dismal failure, some seriously funky Cornell-grown communications
software was even worse, and I don't think the old MacPaint worked. Disclaimer
on this stuff - I worked with it about two years ago, so my memory fails me to
a certain extent. I do remember that in the version of ResEdit that was current
at the time, the SHARED bit button and the CACHED bit button had been switched,
we just checked both of them to make sure we got SHARED. I don't think that's a
problem with the current ResEdit 2.1, but it might still be if you have an
older version (1.1 or something like that).

Adam C. Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 91 10:17:18
From: heha@nmrvex.biochem.mpg.de (Herbert Hanewinkel)
Subject: Postscript to DEC Printserver 20 connected to VAX

We have here a PrinServer 20 connect to our VMS machines. To use it
>From the Mac's we have CAP running on one of our Unix machines.
The files are spooled via CAP, Unix and VMS to the PrintServer.
A long way but it works fine.

1.DEC's PrintServer and ScriptPrinter have different fonts. CAP creates
Bitmap fonts automatically, but if you transfer the files manually to
the VAX the printout will fail if a font doesn't exist.

2. To use the printers, Apples ProcSet (also known as LaserPrep) file
has to be modified. For each job CAP put's the modified version
automatically at the beginning of the postscript file. If you transfer
the postscript files manually to the VAX you can give it as the first
file of a file-list or create a special form and put the ProcSet file in
a "device control library" for the printer.

This are our modifications to Apples ProcSet (AppleDict md) file

1) remove the following code for "stretch" and "smooth":

          currentfile ok userdict/stretch known....
              ... long hex string
              ... more hex strings
          cleartomark

          currentfile ok userdict/smooth known....
              ... long hex string
              ... more hex strings
          cleartomark

   it may be neccessary to do this on a VAX using EVE because some lines
   are too long for vi or EDT.

2) find the txpose macro:

/txpose{fNote{smalls}{bigs}ifelse pgs get exec pxs pys scale ppr aload

and replace it by:

/txpose{fNote{smalls}{bigs}ifelse pgs get exec
9 pgs eq { statusdict begin /a3tray where { pop a3tray } end} if
pxs pys scale ppr aload ...

This is for printing on A3 paper on the PrintServer 20. The 'a3tray'
PostScript
operator is specific to the PrintServer 20 and is probably understood by
other printers. Thus, we first check if the postscript operator 'a3tray'
exists (using the PostScript operator 'where', only if it does 'a3tray'
is executed.
This will enable a PostScript previewer to grok the file even if it
requests an a3tray, which, of course, the previewer has never heard of.
To print A3 format on a Mac, click on the 'Tabloid' field in Page Setup
and select 'A3 Tabloid' from the Popup menu.

3) find the /wtkey macro definition:

/wtkey false def
statusdict begin/waittimeout where{pop waittimeout 300 lt{md /wtkey true
put...

and replace it by:

/wtkey false def
statusdict begin/waittimeout where{pop waittimeout 300 lt{md /wtkey
false put...

This is for printing on a ScriptPrinter. If 'wtkey' is true, some lines
below the definition a statement tries to change 'setdefaulttimeouts'.
'setdefaulttimeouts' is a known priveleged keyword on the ScriptPrinter
and the interpreter stops with an access violation if you try to change
it in normal mode.

Herbert Hanewinkel

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 91 15:40:26 EST
From: ruberman@binah.cc.brandeis.edu
Subject: printing tex on a mac

I'm posting this question on behalf of a colleague.  Please direct
all responses to him:
vilonen@binah.cc.brandeis.edu
vilonen@brandeis.bitnet

Does anyone have experience using either of the following two
printers with Textures (or Oztex for that matter):
LaserWriter IINT or Personal LaserWRiter NT.  The question is
whether they get bogged down printing reasonably complicated
pages using lots of fonts and mathematics.  Any indication of
how long it takes to print up a document would be helpful.
	Thanks for your help.

Kari Vilonen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 12:25:03 CST
From: stewart@dlsun24 (Dan Stewart)
Subject: Reading MS-DOS disks from A/UX.

I have some MS-DOS formated disks containing compressed (and uncompressed)
tar files for A/UX, and I can't figure out how to copy them over.  I've
tried the Apple File Exchange program, but is seems to be saving them
as a Mac resource file on A/UX (using MSDOS to MAC copy, default
translation).  The size is a bit larger than the original file also.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong, or some
other utility/method to use, I would appreciate it.

I had ftp'd the files to a DOS disk (my only choice) for use on A/UX,
since I can't ftp directly to that system.  Please send any suggestions
directly to me, as I'm not yet on the info-mac mailing list.

Thanks,
Dan Stewart

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 91 10:39:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.eeel.nist.gov>
Subject: Source for 030/882 Upgrades for Mac+,SE,512K *and* 128K !

There is a continuing interest from info-mac on 030/882 upgrades for old Macs,
so, despite some posting this before, here it is again: Call Novy Systems at
(904) 427-2358 and speak to Richard Smith. They sell a "Quick 30" board that is
$694 at 16 mhz with 030 and 882 included. (That is with no memory; you can put
4 megs on the board for ~$160 at current prices.) I have 3 of these systems
running in Mac+'s and they are fast, reliable and stable. Speed of the 16 mhz
setup is identical to an SE/30 and my 25 mhz versions run within +/- 5% of
IIci speed!

The ultimate cheap setup is:
1. Buy used ORIGINAL Mac 128.		$230
2. Buy apple spare part 128K ROMS	$100
3. Novy 16 mhz 030/882			$694
4. 4 one meg SIMMS			$160
5. 40 meg external quantum		$300
					----
Total					$1484

This is the equivalent of an SE/30 for the price of a Mac Classic.

Disclaimer: I do beta test for this company. I don't get money or price breaks
for it. I like their product. The only "flaw" in the product is that SCSI speed
is the same as the old Macs (+,SE,512,128) and significantly slower than SE/30
or IIci.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 91 09:02:55 CST
From: JAMES DONAHOE <JDONAHOE%UA1VM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: StyleWriter VS. Deskwriter

I'm trying to get a gauge on feelings about the new Stylewriter and how
it compares to the Deskwriter, anybody seen both at the same time? The
diffenence in price is about 120 dollars (university prices that is).
The other thing that bothers me is that the Stylewriter looks in pictures
to be the same general shape as the Canon Bubblejet.

In a related comment, the reason I haven't seen the new printers is that
Apple pulled the dealership away from the only dealer in town
(Tuscaloosa, Al). The reason they gave me was that they sold IBM and Apple
and Apple said choose us or we drop you.

Please tell me if you have played with both printers and how they compare
in speed and print quality. Thanks.

Bitnet JDONAHOE@UA1VM.UA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 10:47 MET
From: BERG%rulfsw.LeidenUniv.nl@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: text database

Does anybody know a text database program for the Macintosh?
A text database is a database program that allows unlimited
input of unstructured text. Most database programs for the
Mac that I know, allow you to include text, but up to a
maximum, for instance 255 characters.
A text database is useful for research on verbal material,
e.g. speeches, interviews, myths. Part of this material
can be structured, such as factual information about
persons who are interviewed, but the main body of the
material is unstructured. Researcher want to search through
the unstructured, textual part. They may want to make
selections based on information in the structured part or
based on the occurrence of specific words.
I am familiar with the text database askSam on PC and
would like to have a similar program for the Macintosh.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Gerda van den Berg
Dept. of Behavorial Computer Science
Leiden University, The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1991 11:40:56 PST
From: ntg!dplatt@apple.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: using Sony CD-ROM

> I have a Sun Microsystems CD-ROM drive connected to my Macintosh II
> running System 6.0.7.  SCSIProbe 2.03 lists the drive as follows:
>
> ID    Type      Vendor    Product          Version
> 5     ROM       SONY      CD-ROM CDU-8012  3.1a
>
> I have MacOS CD-ROM software installed.  However, I can't mount any
> CD-ROMs from this disk, even when using the explicit "Mount" command
> on Paul Mercer's SCSI Tools or on Robert Polic's SCSIProbe.
>
> I am guessing that the problem might be that Apple's CD-ROM software
> will only mount Apple CD-ROM Drive.  Is this my problem?  Is there
> some publicly available CD-ROM driver which will work with this drive?

Your analysis is correct.  The Apple CD-ROM driver will work only with
the Apple drive (which is really a Philips under the hood, I
understand).

I spoke with a woman who works in the Sony CD-ROM division about the Sun
drive.  She explained that it's a customized drive, and that its SCSI
command set is significantly different than the command-set supported by
the other Sony CD-ROM drive models.

I also spoke with a representative of Optical Media International in Los
Gatos, CA.  OMI does make CD-ROM drivers for a wide range of OEM drives
(including the general-purpose Sony models, Toshiba, and quite a few
others).  However, OMI has not written a driver for the Sun-specific
drive... and because it has a unique command-set, it's unlikely that
their standard Sony driver would work with this drive.

So, at the moment, I believe that the answer to your question is "No,
there's no practical way to use the Sun CD-ROM drive on a Macintosh."

You might want to contact OMI (1-800-DISC-OMI) and urge them to release
a driver compatible with the CDU-8012.  If enough people ask for it,
they might just do it!

	Dave Platt (dplatt%ntg.uucp@apple.com)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, Apr 3, 1991 10:34:30 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: Warranty questions

Warranty questions

The following article from TidBITS #43 should answer your question. In short,
you cannot install SIMMs yourself without voiding your warranty. NuBus cards
and NuBus cards only. This information came directly from dealer guidelines.

Warranty Realities - from TidBITS#42/18-Feb-91
This isn't exactly news, but I think all Mac owners should know this important
information. You do know that Apple finally extended its warranty period from
90 days to one year, a move which we at TidBITS considered to be a case of
"About time!" You may not know that it's easy to void that wonderful one year
warranty, at which point your friendly local dealer will be more than happy to
fix your broken machine and take your first-born as a down payment on the
repair bill. OK, so it's not quite that bad, but still...

All Apple and third party hardware upgrades (basically anything you would want
to put in your Mac, such as an internal hard drive, extra RAM, a PMMU, a new
carburetor, etc.), must be performed by an Authorized Apple Service Technician.
If some of my description sounds stilted, it's because I'm closely following
the guidelines to avoid ambiguity. Apple figures that if you crack a compact
Mac or generally muck about with anything inside the case, you are likely to
screw it up, most likely by failing to properly ground yourself against
electrostatic discharge. While this probably isn't true of most people who know
enough to open the case, Apple doesn't want to pay for your mistakes just
because your machine is still under warranty.

What you can do inside your Mac is install a NuBus card if you have a Mac
II-class machine, including the IIsi with the NuBus adapter (We haven't heard
about the PDS adapter, but it seems that PDS cards shouldn't be different from
NuBus cards in this instance. Check if you're worried.). However, you have to
check the details for your card, because there are three criteria which it must
meet. First, the card manufacturer must not require installation by an
authorized reseller. Second, the NuBus card must meet Apple's specifications
for NuBus architecture for the Macintosh II family. Third, the system
configuration (in other words, the sum total of everything you've jammed in
previously as well as this current board) must not exceed Apple's specified
total power consumption, as noted in the system owner's manual. Whew. Be
careful out there...

This last criterion is most applicable with the new Macs, and most specifically
with the IIsi, which has a power limitation of 15 watts. Most cards fit within
this limitation with the exception of some high-end graphics cards, including
the Apple 8*24GC card. We gather that exceeding the IIsi's power limitation
will result in overheating, though Apple says that it tested the 8*24GC card
with the IIsi and found no troubles in normal operating temperatures (up to 90
F or 32 C). If the IIsi overheats, an internal thermal sensor automatically
shuts the machine down. So if your IIsi occasionally shuts down for no apparent
reason, it might be overheating. Or it just might be possessed with daemons,
you never can tell.

Information from:
   Mark H. Anbinder - mha@memory.uucp

Adam C. Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Apr 91 20:23:40 CST
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: Wordperfect 2.0 default font changes

Hi. Could someone please tell me how to change the default font on
the Macintosh Wordperfect 2.0 program from Geneva 12 to something
else (like Times 14)? I've tried using the environment command
but that doesn't do the trick. Thank you kindly, Marsh
Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU
BITNET:   NU163467@NDSUVMq

End of Info-Mac Digest