info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/09/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  8 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 82

Today's Topics:

      030/882 Upgrades for Older Macs
      6.0.7 on and old SE should I do it? Will it crash like on the IIx?
      Accessing Unix volumes over Localtalk / Ethertalk...
      After Dark ideas
      after dark shutdown
      Application(s) Request
      C++ books
      Changing the HyperCard cursor
      Color for an old SE? Possible? Realistic? Expensive?
      DOS-Mounter fix
      File: "HELPCOMM TXT A1"
      Hard partitioning
      how to do double-side printing
      I got the dead Mac+ power supply blues...
      Looking for Music software
      MacinTalk
      MacTCP problem
      MacTCP Tool
      My previous posting regarding MS-DOS disks in A/UX
      Print Spoolers and StyleWriter
      SE upgrades - results
      SilverLining/LaCie flame
      StyleWriter, DeskWriter and TrueType
      Switching Keys on a keyboard (that resource thing)
      text database (3 msgs)
      This Disk Drive Needs Minor Repairs?!!!!
      US vs UK pricing.
      Virtual Memory and Accelerated SE's and Pluses
      Wordperfect 2.0 default font changes

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 91 16:12:51 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: 030/882 Upgrades for Older Macs

Your recipe for a cheap SE/30 equivalent seems to have one flaw:  no
SCSI bus in the system to hook the HD to -- or did I miss something?.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 21:17 EST
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 6.0.7 on and old SE should I do it? Will it crash like on the IIx?

Should I put 6.0.7 on my SE?

I read an article which told me Only the new macs should have .0.7, but I
really, really, really, want TrueType.

Would it crash my poor mac?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 91 08:17:05 PST
From: 9531sons%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini)
Subject: Accessing Unix volumes over Localtalk / Ethertalk...

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>My department is looking to put a file server on one of its Sun Unix boxes and
>we are investigating strategies for doing this.  The options I know about are:

> o  TOPS from Sitka
> o  KAShare from Mt. Xinu
> o  Gatorbox from Caymen
> o  FTP
>
>What other options exist for this type of file sharing?

David - Here at UC Santa Barbara several departments are using the CAP
package (Columbia AppleTalk Protocol).  I'm not one of these folks, but
understand that they're quite happy with it.  If you don't get a response
>From someone directly using this package, get in touch and I'll pass along
the name of someone to contact at UCSB.

				Jamie Sonsini
				UC Santa Barbara

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 13:03:21 +0100
From: Phil J Barrett <barretpj%uhura.aston.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: After Dark ideas

Here's a couple of ideas for After Dark modules, should anyone feel like a
little programming in a spare moment.

They both concern the display of picture files. The Slide Show and Picture
Frame modules work fine, except that they use the system clut (well at least
that's what I presume; they certainly don't look in the PICT file). This
means that all the nice colours in your digitised picture vanish.

The second module has a similar feel, but saves on disk space. How about a
GIF module? Something like Gif Movie, I'd expect-though I can't get that to
work yet.

Phil Barrett
Aston University
Birmingham, UK

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 23:13 EST
From: AELevy@dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Subject: after dark shutdown

It would be very useful to have an after dark module that would shutdown
the mac ii after n minutes.  This module might be run under the
multimodule so that if I forget and go to sleep, the mac would be turned
off in n minutes.  If you did anything in less than the preset time it
would behave normally.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 13:38:59 EST
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: Application(s) Request

     Could someone please post to the archive the latest upgrade (version
1.6) of MacWelcome ??  We are considering using this application to post
start-up messages to our small AppleTalk network, but would prefer to
evaluate the latest version for compatability problems rather than v1.4
that archie has pin-pointed at a number of ftp sites.

     We are also interested in color Icon design/editing and have been told
that ColorBits is the application of choice.  Other options, comments, flames
etc. are welcome, as I've not been able to locate a copy (archie comes up
empty) to evaluate personally.  Thanks for any/all tips and suggestions ....

  Jim Love <jeteye@cbl.umd.edu>  / Univ. of Maryland System / Solomons, Md

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 91 10:46:31
From: Rick Jarvis <Rick_Jarvis.MATH_ONE@quickmail.clemson.edu>
Subject: C++ books

 C++ books
Can anyone suggest any particularly good books for learning C++. Could be
either in the Think C enviroment (insofar as it supports C++) or (gasp!)
Borland C++. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 00:37:51 EST
From: hcr@egrlab.ac.duke.edu (Henry Rosenblath)
Subject: Changing the HyperCard cursor

    Can anyone tell me how to *permanently* change the hand
cursor in HyperCard 2.0 to the plain, old arrow.  I'd like
a pointer with better resolution.  I've tried replacing the
the hand cursor resource with an arrow (I set the arrows id
number to 128 and its name to "Hand".), but that didn't work.
    Please mail me your suggestions.  I hope that I am not
being incredibly obtuse and asking an incredibly simple
question.  If I am not, I'll post whatever works.

Thanks in advance,

Coty Rosenblath
hcr@northlab.ac.duke.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 21:05 EST
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Color for an old SE? Possible? Realistic? Expensive?

Hi all,

        We own an old color monitor from an IBM PC. We figured all we would
need is a female to female cable and we were in buisiness.

        Of course we need a color board. Are there 8 bit color boards for the
SE? does anyone have one? How is it? What is it?

        I'll reply to the net.

                Thanks,

                Spencer (SZawasky@WheatnMA.Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 13:11 EST
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: DOS-Mounter fix

Follow-up to my last posting:  I re-named DOS-Mounter to "gDOS Mounter" so that
it would load after Foreign File Exchange, and the two are apparently
co-existing peacefully now.  Inserting an MS-DOS disk no longer sends my Mac
into "infinite wait" mode.

Mark Nutter [MANUTTER@IUP]
Apple Support Manager, Indiana University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 91 11:01:20 CST
From: ECPKLINE%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: File: "HELPCOMM TXT A1"

Hello Netters:
I am interested in info about communications programs, especially
sharewareand freeware.  I am interested in a program which
supports the standard protocols including Kermit.  I would also
like a program that supports scripting and autoscripting.  Finally
I need a program that supports keyboard mapping.  I am interested
in Red Ryder, but the archives only has vers. 9.2 and I am certain
that there are later versions.  I currently use MacKermit for the
mainframe and Term Plus for other BBSs.  I have one question
about comm programs.  It seems that only programs which
support downloading with Kermit (Red Ryder and MacKermit)
allow me to log onto my mainframe account without additional
screen garbage (when  I log on with Term Plus I get garbage in
addition to the text which normally appears). Is my guess right
that it has something to do with whether the program supports
Kermit?  Please E-mail me suggestions through BITNET and I
will summarize for the Net.  Thanks beforehand.

Jeff Kline
ECPKLINE@UMCVMB

------------------------------

Date: Fri, Apr 5, 1991 9:35:30 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: Hard partitioning

Hard partitioning

Agreed. Soft paritioning is evil. If you have ever lost a file to any sort of
corruption, think of how terrible it would be if that file happened to be the
pseudo-partition. No file recovery software will work within that partition
once it's messed up, so you'd better hope it never goes.

As far as hard partitioning goes, I've used Silverlining from La Cie for about
a year now very happily. It's a true SCSI partitioner and can even resize and
add and delete partitions without reformatting the entire drive. It's quick to
initialize, format, and optimize, and overall I have few complaints. The
version I have, which is not the latest, 5.22, does NOT work under System 7.0,
although there is no problem using disks formatted with it under System 7.0.
Since Silverlining loads volumes alphabetically, I just change the names on my
System 6.0.5 and System 7.0 boot volumes to determine which one loads first
(and thus which one boots the Mac).

Some programs are not all that smart about partitions, but all should be since
partitions are an excellent way to split up logically different types of files
(apps, files, system) for backup, and the desktops rebuild faster when the Mac
crashes.

cheers ... -Adam C. Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1991 12:13 EST
From: ZHOU%YALEMED.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: how to do double-side printing

Does anyone know softwares (commercial or share-/free- ware) that allow me to
print a long document on both sides of printing paper? I can imagine a scheme
that all odd-numbered pages are printed first, then the even-numbered pages in
reverse order by putting the papers back into the paper-tray. The reason I am
asking is to save some paper and make my desk a little less messy.

Thanks in advance! J. Zhou, "zhou@yalemed.bitnet"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 09:08:18 -0800
From: brein%jplgp.span@jpldig.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: I got the dead Mac+ power supply blues...

Having had several positive responses to my query about the Mac+ power supply I
will describe the problem in detail:

The computer is an unmodified Mac+, purchased 10/86.

Originally, the screen blanked out intermittently when I wiggled the AC line
input connector.  The processor was unaffected because the display was unchanged
when it winked on again.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread:

I opened the case and was able to replicate the screen blanking problem.  The
computer beeped normally when booting.  I turned the computer off and
disconnected the line cord preparatory to ohming things out with a meter.  To
avoid a nasty bite I discharged the CRT to the chassis without using a resistor.
A 3/16" spark resulted.

When I next turned the thing on nothing happened.  No beep.  Further
investigation has showed that no voltages are reaching the motherboard.  (Yes
the fuse is good.)  The 7905 regulator on the motherboard is showing no input or
output voltage.

I realize that I may well have blown every chip on the motherboard, but I won't
know until I can get some current to it.  Thus far I suspect the problem is
between the AC input and the power transformer, including maybe the CRT/sweep
circuitry.  I might be wrong so don't limit your diagnoses to this area.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms?  I am willing to shotgun the four or five
most-likely-to-fail components.  Also if anyone has a schematic of the
sweep/power board I will make strenuous efforts to help them send it to me.

Please reply directly to my address.  Thank you.

Barry Rein
BREIN@gpvax.jpl.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: 5 APR 91 16:34:12.21-GMT
From: RAYNAUD%FRESE51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Looking for Music software

  I am looking for a music program (preferably freeware or shareware), that
would let me enter and edit partitions. I don't need MIDI at all, but it
would be great if the program knew how to transpose partitions from
key to key (mostly C to Bb).

  If such a package doesn't exist, maybe I might end up with writing some
myself. One of the numerous problems is that I don't have any font that
can display music (notes, keys..). I heard there is a font called Sonata,
is it freely available ?

  Please reply directly to me and I will summarize to the net if there is
interest.

  Alain Raynaud <Raynaud@Frese51.Bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: 5 April 91, 09:35:40 CST
From: Mike Holden 449-4726 C162288 at UMCVMB 206 Hill Hall 882-9647@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: MacinTalk

I am trying to locate the code of the System document, MacinTalk.  If anyone
has knowledge of the specifications of its parameters, I would greatly
appreciate your response.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 91 09:26:00 EST
From: "DRLMC5::ROBERTSON" <robertson%drlmc5.decnet@grumpy.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacTCP problem

With the following software and hardware:
	MacTCP v 1.0.1a2
	HyperFTP v 1.3
	NCSA telnet v 2.4b8
	system 6.0.4
	finder 6.1.4
	Mac IIci
when I run HyperFTP I get the message:
	"$$$ domain name resolver failed $$$"
in the hypercard message box.

When I run NCSA telnet I get a dialog box with the
message "Unable to open Resoler" (Quit)

MacTCP is set up to obtain addresses manually.

There is a hosts file in the system folder.  It is a
teachtext file and when copied to another Mac running
MacTCP/HyperFTP it works fine.

Since I don't subscribe to info-mac, please reply directly
to robertson@grumpy.crc.dnd.ca

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 9:43:04 EDT
From: Jon "Hermit" Bentley <hermit@pcs.cnc.edu>
Subject: MacTCP Tool

Howdy!

Can anybody out there help me out by telling me what "MacTCP Tool" is, and how
to install/use it?

Oh, and by the by, what's the deal with the message from Scully?

Was that really him pulling an April Fool's Day "Joke", or was it someone else
who knows how to manipulate mailers?

We need the reply to the first question fairly quickly, so if you reply, please
reply to hermit@pcs.cnc.edu (INTER) or ZORN@CEBAFVAX.BITNET (BITNET).

Thanks in advance!

		hermit

[Enquiring minds want to know...]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 17:35:56 CST
From: stewart@dlsun24 (Dan Stewart)
Subject: My previous posting regarding MS-DOS disks in A/UX

I don't think my full address came across last time in regard to my
message inquiring how to read MS-DOS formatted disks in A/UX.  The
data on the disks contain tar and compressed-tar A/UX files and
Apple File Exchange is not copying them correctly (with no translation
selected).

Please reply to me at stewart@dlsun24.dallas.rockwell.com

Thanks,
DStewart

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1991 16:47:04 EST
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Print Spoolers and StyleWriter

I'm not sure if it will work with it, but...
I got Multispool from the init or cdev or da directories from sumex.  It
is a print spooler writter by a guy from Italy.  You must use multifinder
when you print, but I think you can save up your printing in finder--then print
in MF.

It works with the ImageWriter and the Hewlett Packard DeskWriter.  Can someone
try it with a StyleWriter?

Its kind of weird, it is an init which installs itself as a DA--there is help
in the DA.

Kieran

Keep on Mac'in!

Keep on Mac'in!
IOCONNOR@SUNRISE (bitnet)   IOCONNOR@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  5 Apr 91 11:06:19 -0500 (EST)
From: David Stephen Gillen <dg2y+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: SE upgrades - results

This is in response to my post back at the beginning of March.  I was
looking for information about upgrading my SE to something with a 68030
and math coprocessor.

I thank everyone for all of the responses that I received.  I will
summarize them for you now:

* The August 1990 MacWorld has a bunch of reviews of different
accellerator options.  I haven't had a chance to check this out but
MacWorld is usually very informative and accurate.

Specific Products:
* I got a couple of responses saying that the CMU Computer Store sells a
SE -> SE/30 upgrade kit (made by Apple) for $1200.  It is a 16mhz '030
with a math coprocessor.  Other people stated that the Computer Store on
their own campuses sell the same kit.  This can probably be gotten from
any Apple dealer.  However, without the educational discount, the price
will probable be close to a new SE/30.

* Novy Systems sells "Quick 30" boards which can upgrade Mac+'s and SE's
to within +-5% of a Mac IIci speed.  They run at 25mhz with an 030 and
882 floating point chip, and should be used with 80ns memory.  This
system was described to me as "solid and reliable and will blow the
doors off an se/30".  Possible drawbacks include: (1) may not run system
7.0 (uses old 128K roms)  (2) small screen  (3) board must be soldered
onto mac+'s motherboard (Novy can do this for you), SE board just snaps
on  (4) SCSI speed is same as Mac+ and very slow compared to SE/30 or
IIci. Disk caching system is included to compensate.  Call (904)
427-2358 for more info.

* I've been told that Dove makes upgrades but I don't have any
information on them.  Also, there is a product called NewLife with
looked very impressive (25mhz, coprocessor, + other features for $999)
but I don't know anything about how reliable the product is.

Any experience with the products above or other responses about any
other products would be appreciated.  Please send them to
dg2y+cpu@andrew.cmu.edu

Thanks
Dave Gillen
Carnegie Mellon University

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 91 18:23:30 GMT
From: knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp)
Subject: SilverLining/LaCie flame

LaCie recently changed their upgarde policy for SilverLining.
Previously, you sent in your original disk and $5.-, and they would
send you the newest version. Having to send in the disk was a major
hassle, but I could live with that.

I had problems with version 5.22 in that it is not reentrant (can't be
used for System 7's virtual memory), and in that it crashes Apple's
DiskCopy which is used to distribute system software via FTP. When I
inquired about an upgrade LaCie informed me that they changed the
upgrade fee from $5.- to $25.-!

Considering that every user of SilverLining that wishes to use virtual
memory in System 7 will have to upgrade, and that many other minor
version changes are due to bug fixes (current version is 5.28), I
consider this fee hike a scam on LaCie's part to squeeze money out of
their customers most of whom will have no choice but to buy the upgrade.

If you feel strongly about this, please write LaCie a letter. Address
it to:

	LaCie, Ltd.
	Attn: Joel Kamerman
	19552 S.W. 90th Court
	Tualatin, OR 97062

	Phone: (800) 999-0143

Edagr

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 91 13:55:38 CDT
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: StyleWriter, DeskWriter and TrueType

James Donahoe asks for comparisons between the SW and the DW. Recent MacWeek
timings show that the SW is very slow by comparison with the DW - the worst
comparison was 2.34 to print a one-page Word file using an SW, .59 using a
DW (MacWeek 5/12).

On the other hand, the current MacWorld (May) shows comparative output, and
they managed to get distinctly better quality from the SW (p.144). My question
is: is the better quality due to the SW resolution of 360dpi as opposed to
the DW's 300dpi, or is it due to TrueType?

If it's due to TrueType, the next question is whether the DW can output
TrueType fonts. Any advice?

MacWorld also pointed out that quality of output with an inkjet printer
varies dramatically according to the type of paper you use. I have
found that it can vary from packet to packet of the *same* paper! Does
anyone have a favorite paper for the DW they'd like to recommend?

Graeme Forbes
Bitnet: PL0BALF@TCSVM
Internet: PL0BALF@VM.TCS.TULANE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 21:14 EST
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Switching Keys on a keyboard (that resource thing)

I have several Russian Fonts.

If any of you have ever used more than one Font of some non Roman based
Language you know that transliteration is an arbitrary science.

I'd like to be able to set up some sort of system where I only have to
remember one keyboard setup for all my Russian fonts, that way I can type
faster, and make fewer mistakes!

How do I do it? I've used ResEdit before, and although I don't claim to be
a hacker I feel relatively comfortable with it.

Are there any little utilities which make this sort of thing a breeze?

Please reply directly to me, I'll sumarize to the net.

        Thanks,

        -Spencer
        SZawasky@WheatnMA.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1991 09:29 ADT
From: Stan Armstrong <ARMSTRONG@husky1.stmarys.ca>
Subject: text database

There are several alternatives that I have used. There is a commercial product,
called SONAR Text Retrieval System, by Virginia Systems Software Services, Inc.

There is a shareware product, called Texas, in one of its incarnations, though
I think it has a different name in its latest versions. I got it from
sumex.aim, but I don't have it with me now to check.

There is a non-obvious commercial alternative. Filemaker has unlimited fields,
each of which is reverse indexed for rapid searching.

The first two programs support complex boolean searches; Filemaker does not.
Filemaker has a friendly interface.

Texas, by Mark Zimmerman, has a Hypercard version.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. It has been a while since I have used any of
these, other than Filemaker, which I use every day.
.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, Apr 5, 1991 9:46:09 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>

text database

As far as text databases go on the Mac, I'm just starting to use and test a new
one called ThoughtPattern from Bananafish Software (800/522-5939 or
415/571-5939 or 415/929-8135 AND BANANAFISH@applelink.apple.com).

It has a few rough spots still, but overall I like it a lot. Basically, there
are two views, list view and item view. You create a new item, add text of any
sort (or link a file, which can be launched from within the program if it is
not MacPaint, EPS, or TEXT (Nisus files are straight text), at which point the
program displays it for you) and then add tabs, which are like the tabs on file
folders, only far more flexible. You can add any number of tabs, and to keep
the tabs organized (because you'll get a lot fast), you can create tab groups,
which are the equivalent of folders. Once you have tabs assigned, it's easy to
filter out only the items you want to see, double-click on the one you
specifically want in list view (it shows the first few lines), and poof, there
you are.

There are other nice features, such as a priority marker (for To Do items), an
alarm feature for items that are temporal, etc. It's wonderful for collecting
and archiving all the little bits of information that come through the net
every day, which is my primary use for it. It's also good for little notes,
phone numbers and addresses, and linking in files that are all in a single
project. You can of course search on text in either or both the tabs and the
contents of the item.

I'll be releasing a review of ThoughtPattern in TidBITS at some point, though
it may not be for a while, since I like to work with programs for a while
before I start writing the review. Mail to the AppleLink address should be
answered by Steve Zagerman, the programmer and president of Bananafish.

cheers ... Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: 6 Apr 91 08:31 EST
From: science@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Mark Zimmermann)

for your Mac text database needs, you may want to check out my "Free Text"
indexer/browser package ... works with multi-megabyte text files, provides
word lists, key-word-in-context displays, and full text retrieval ... also
includes fuzzy proximity search and various other features ... comes with
full source code (it's "free software" in the GNU/Stallman sense), so you
can customize as you wish ... C routines for indexing and search/retrieval,
which live behind a HyperCard shell/interface ... there are also versions
for Sun, PC, etc., though the user interface is less nice ... I am currently
(still!) working on the multifile/multilingual version, which I have an
early test version of now, perhaps ready for posting to INFO-MAC in a few
months ... the last time I looked, "Free Text" was to be found in the
HyperCard section of the INFO-MAC archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu, or
on CompuServe in Library 14 of the MACHYPER forum, and via various user
groups, etc. ... if you want a copy from me, I ask for a relatively nominal
payment, so try to find it in one of the archives first, or get it from a
friend ... most current version of "Free Text" is number 1.02 ... ^z
(science@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
DISCLAIMER:  opinions expressed are mine, not employer's....
 ------

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 5 Apr 1991 13:00:20 EST
From: Roger Smith <ACPS5788%Ryerson.CA@vm1.gatech.edu>
Subject: This Disk Drive Needs Minor Repairs?!!!!

Greetings,
 It is with great saddness that I am writing this note for today my HardDrive
presented me with this message. However when I choose the OK option it
attempted to reconstruct the Desktop file and then died a miserable death after
about 15 minutes. All subsequent attempts to mount the drive have resulted in
in a total system Lock up. My system configuration is as follows:
Mac Se/30
5 Megs Ram
Internal 40 MB drive
External 320 PowerDrive
-- Fate would have it that it is the 320 MB drive that would not mount:
I have allocated 1024K to the finder and 1 and have no inits loading. Also I
have changed the system heap allocation so that the system has more headroom.
The Hard Drive had about 6 Megs free at the time it died and it was not
partitioned but was using the desktopfile init.
SCSI probe acknowledges the presence of the external drive but when it tries to
 mount it stops after a few seconds.

My question is simple: Is it possible to Regain this Hard drive and if possible
are there any programs in the archives (or comercially) that excell at this
kind of operation? Any info / feedback would be appreciated at this point in
time: thanks...
                                                       Roger Smith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91  15:48 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: US vs UK pricing.

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me how much a Mac Classic costs in the US with Educational
Discount. I'd just like to compare with the UK price.

Cheers,

Andy.
(LAWA @ UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE                   Big Nose in Edinburgh)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 14:22:18 PST
From: kumashi@bend.ucsd.edu (Toshiyuki Kumashiro)
Subject: Virtual Memory and Accelerated SE's and Pluses

I read somewhere that the virtual memory feature of System 7 does not work on
accelerated SE's and Pluses with 68030 because it relies on a cetain ROM routine
that does not reside in those machines' ROM. The article also said that one
has to buy Connectix's Virutal, which is already or will be bundled with many
accelerators. Is this really true? If so, why doesn't Apple provide some ROM
patch like the one for AppleTalk for Pluses? I already purchased a RailGun
accelerator from MacProducts U.S.A. for my S.E. but they didn't bundle Virtual
with it.

Toshiyuki Kumashiro

kumashi@bend.ucsd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 19:02:54 PST
From: 2034bang%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Steven K. Bang)
Subject: Wordperfect 2.0 default font changes

Without the manuals by my side I can only tell you to
look under Styles in the WordPerfect Reference manual.
Essentially, you open the Styles sub-menu and redefine
Normal. But, you must remember to go to the Set Defaults
and respond Yes or the change will not become the new
default. If you can't figure it out, e-mail me and I
can get more specific when I am sitting in front of my
Mac at home. Good luck.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 91 09:12:53 EST
From: Steve Greenfield <feats%vtvm1.cc.vt.edu@ricevm1.rice.edu>

I am interested in finding 2 games for my IIsi.  I want a good CHESS game,
preferably available from the net.  I do not know the name of the second
game but I can try and describe it.  This game has units of 4 blocks (in
different patterns) falling from the top of the screen.  The object is to
maneuver the units so they stack a certain way.  If you stack the units so
that a row is completely filled at the bottom of the screen the row
disappears.  If you do not completely fill the row, the rows add up until
they fill the whole screen and then the game is over!  Does anyone know
the name and where I can get the second game I just described?  Thanks!

End of Info-Mac Digest