info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/09/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  8 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 83

Today's Topics:

      [*] afterdark module
      [*] FastTab XCMD 1.01
      [*] Import/Export Tools
      [*] MultiToys
      [*] Pyro Updater 4.0->4.0.1
      [*] Report on IFS Explorer (Fractal software)
      Applelink access in Australia
      authorware
      Bilingual Dictionary (Swedish)
      Creating sort orders
      Duplicating/Copying Files Invisible to Directory w/o Making Them Visible
      Finder replacements
      Font/DA mover Problem -- Solved
      FONT <-> NFNT: the best way to do it with ResEdit
      GET PICT CODE IN INSIDE MAC V 5
      How can Mac applications talk to eachother?
      HP DeskWriter Problems
      IBM Proprinter ==> Mac+
      IIsi Printer and Modem
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #82 (2 msgs)
      Mac expo
      PostScript downloader code wanted
      Random number generator?
      Reading MS-DOS disks from A/UX.
      Scheduling program
      SG boards for NuBus
      stylewriter follow-up (final edition?)
      StyleWriter Margins
      text data base info
      Word 4.0 maintenance release: 4.0d
      XEROX Full Page Display Problems (?)

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 91 14:25:10 -0600
From: Dan Walkowski <walkowsk@ta1.cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] afterdark module

This AfterDark module is based on an X screen-saver I saw and liked.
It produces an effect similar to a swarm of insects buzzing around on your
screen (though some have said it reminds them more of a school of fish).

You can adjust several parameters from the control panel to achieve different
effects.

Its free, unless someone has the overwhelming urge to send me money.
(email and I'll send you my street address)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-swarm.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 13:27:32 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] FastTab XCMD 1.01

The FastTab XCMD is designed to accelerate HyperCard 2.0's tabbing
speed.  Increases of 2 to 5 times seem fairly common.  Invoking FastTab
is equivalent to using "send tabkey to HyperCard", only faster.

FastTab also can be used to accelerate the "select" command.

Changes in 1.01:  solves compatibility problem with RasterOps video
boards; accounts for space of scroll bar beside scrolling fields;
generally improves in behaviour as a good software citizen; documents
limitations and work-arounds.

John Mille
Symplex Systems

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xcmd/fast-tab.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 10:14:15 EST
From: Robert Murray <murray@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: [*] Import/Export Tools

   Import/Export Tools is copyright 1991, Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, all rights reserved.
   This HyperCard 2.0 stack is a set of tools which allow you to import
and export from to and from any stack which has background fields. You can
also go from one stack to another. The interface is pleasing and easy to use.
They are especially designed to move large amounts of data from databases
to HyperCard. Please read the commments and help on each card for more info.

Robert Murray
MIT Media Lab

[Archived as /info-mac/card/import-export-tools.hqx; 57K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 23:16:57 EST
From: David Hairston <hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] MultiToys

I recently submitted two applications, MultiTimer and MultiDog.  I had
not tested those applications on 68000 machines and had assumed that all
was well.  All was not well ... I overlooked a call to GetMainDevice()
used in centering rects to the main screen which fails on 68000 machines.
I have now tested these applications on 68000 machines and confirmed
that they do indeed run on all Macintoshes.  Admittedly, I haven't tried
the IIfx or the IIsi or the LC but there are no machine dependencies in
my code beyond the check for color QD.  Here's some brief notes about
these applications which I've now repackaged in one self-extracting
archive, MultiToys.sea.hqx.

MultiToys.sea.hqx features two tiny applications that I wrote that are
intended to be run under MultiFinder.  They are applications and not
INITs because I feel that MultiFinder should be exploited and that INITs
that typically involve trap patches and possible conflicts should be
avoided.  The first application, MultiTimer, displays 3 different timer
functions in customized desktop windows.  The other application, MultiDog,
does nothing useful but display the paw prints of an invisible dog as it
trots across the desktop.  Each runs in a 64k MultiFinder partition, or
less.  Both applications are freeware but not public domain!  Docs for
each are included in the package.  Enjoy!

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/multi-toys.hqx; 53K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 03:32:48 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Pyro Updater 4.0->4.0.1

This file updates Pyro 4.0 only to Pyro 4.0.1
Changes:
1. now chooses a random checkmarked module at startup instead of the first
2. fixes lack of response to sleep on Plus or SE under certain conditions
3. fixes lack of response to auto sleep on certain password/restart conditions
4. fixes for module developers.... read the info within
This is a BinHex-ed Stuffit Deluxe/Classic archive.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/pyro-401-updater.hqx; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 16:05:16 CST
From: ST5845%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Report on IFS Explorer (Fractal software)

Here is a review of a fractal program.  In case if some netters are interested
in such category, this review  might be of informative.  Please put it into the
"Report" folder.  Thanks.

Terry (ST5845@SIUCVMB.BITNET)

[Archived as /info-mac/report/ifs-explorer.txt; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 16:01:06 GMT
From: s57783@zeus.usq.edu.au (chapman alan)
Subject: Applelink access in Australia

Hi Netters,

I have seen a bit of discussion here about accessing Applelink from the
Internet.  I was wondering if it is possible to access Australian Applelink
nodes through the Internet too.  If so how?

Reply direct to me, I will summarise replies.

Thanks,
Alan Chapman, Tutor, School of Information Technology, UCSQ, Qld, Australia.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 18:43:49 bst
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: authorware

Could anybody tell me about authorware. what is it, what doies it do?
is it any good for creating educational software? Is it adaptible
: ie not imposing lockstep frame based learning on the user. Thanks
for all  replies
G. Byron Stirling University. gsb1@uk.ac.stirling.forth

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 08:19:36 -0200
From: Peter Kay <comqpk@hatfield.ac.uk>
Subject: Bilingual Dictionary (Swedish)

May I add my request to Fred Condo's (digest no. 76) for a bilingual
dictionary. I am particularly interested in an online Swedish-English
dictionary. I am not hopeful about the existence of such a beast because
Swedes (and other Scandinavians) appear to master the English language
at an early age.
			Peter Kay

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 14:40 EDT
From: Chris Culy <CULY%UNCVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Creating sort orders

I am a linguist working on "exotic" languages, with different character sets
>From those officially supported. In order to create various lists and do
searches, I would like to be able to create my own sorting orders (code
resources in 'itl2', I believe). Does anyone know of a program that would
let me do that relatively painlessly?

As long as I'm asking, how about making HyperCard's character equality test
be "international" (or ASII even) instead of "ignoring diacritics"? Yes, I
can, and have, added a checking routine, but that's a nuisance.

Thanks.

Chris Culy
culy@uncvx1.acs.unc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 91 17:16 EDT
From: Ashirvad Kakodkar <ASKAKODKAR@vaxsar.vassar.edu>
Subject: Duplicating/Copying Files Invisible to Directory w/o Making Them Visible

Would anyone be able to suggest a way to copy files that are invisible to the
directory WITHOUT using some utility, such as say ResEdit, to make them visible
first. For instance, does anyone know of some utility which would be able to
both identify invisible files and transfer/copy them to another volume WITHIN
the same utility. Alternate solutions are equally welcome.

                                    Regards,
                                            Ash,
                                            (AsKakodkar@Vassar.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, Apr 7, 1991 11:57:39 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: Finder replacements

Finder replacements

Hi All,
  Michael O'Henley's comments on MasterFinder reminded me of this. We're
planning a TidBITS special issue comparing a number of the Finder replacements
such as DiskTop, MasterFinder, KiwiFinderExtender, Mr. File, and Finder 7.0.
Are there others that should be included in this list (which is undoubtedly not
exhaustive)?

  As far as MasterFinder goes, it was a bit slicker than DiskTop, which isn't
surprising considering DiskTop's age, but it just didn't replace the Finder for
me. One thing that has made a big difference is a combination of Super
Boomerang and a larger screen for my SE/30 - the Finder eats screen real
estate, but if you have enough to feed it, it's still the best around. More on
this whenever we get everything, test them, and write the reviews....

cheers ...  Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 21:54:14 EDT
From: Jacob S Weinstein <jacobw@phoenix.princeton.edu>
Subject: Font/DA mover Problem -- Solved

	A few weeks ago, I reported that Font/DA mover would not let me
alter the system file on my hard disk when it was my startup disk. I
received a number of guesses as to what the problem was, as well as
suggestions on how to fix it. In case somebody else has had the same
problem, I summarize the responses below.
1) Font/DA mover won't run under MultiFinder; use set startup to start
up with Finder, and try again.
2)I have a locked disk with a system folder on it stuck into my disk
drive, and my Mac, with typical arbitrariness, has decided that that is
the current system folder; eject the disk and try again.
3)Due to a huge number of inits and cdevs, my system heap has grown too
large for my poor SE's memory; use something like "HeapTool"
to fix it.

	As it turned out, the problem was #3, and I found a slightly
simpler method of fixing it; I just used InitCdev to prevent most of my
inits from loading. Piece of cake.
	Thanks to everybody who replied.
	-Jacob Weinstein

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 08:49:58 +0100
From: reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl
Subject: FONT <-> NFNT: the best way to do it with ResEdit

Subject: FONT <--> NFNT

The simplest way to make ResEdit automatically edit 'NFNT' resources is by
including a 'RMAP' resource named 'NFNT' into ResEdit. The contents of this
resource must be:
		MapTo:            FONT
  Editor only?      1
  Exception count   0

(The template for 'RMAP' resources should be in ResEdit already. If it is not
it probably is not implemented yet in your copy of ResEdit. This may well be
the case since ResEdit 2.1 already has this 'RMAP' resource to map NFNT to FONT.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 91 21:22:56 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: GET PICT CODE IN INSIDE MAC V 5

Can someone please tell me why the code segment to read and draw a pict
file listed in Inside Mac V5 works great for some MacDraw files, but
bombs when reading other Pict files such as those from PixelPaint?
I have since then decide NOT to follow that example and simply load
the entire Pict file into ram before calling DrawPicture. This works
well, but it means I cannot display Pict files larger than ram in
my application heap.

All replies appreciated. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 09:44 PST
From: "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused." <COSTELLO@amstel.llnl.gov>
Subject: How can Mac applications talk to eachother?

Greetings,
	I am helping a friend write an interactive multi-user application.  The
client applications will run on separate Macs.  The server will run on a
separate Mac for now or on one of the client Macs in the future (if that's
possible).  I need a basic communications package to integrate into the client
and server programs enabling application-level communications. Are there
packages, libraries, products, Think C or Meridian Ada source code, etc.
available that I can use to get these applications to speak with one another?
We will eventually be on some kind of ethernet wire, we now are on Appletalk
PhoneNet(?).  We want to be able to speak over different kinds of networks.
Thanks in advance.

Ed Costello (415-422-1012)  costello@amstel.llnl.gov

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 12:59 EST
From: LLEDUC%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: HP DeskWriter Problems

I waited patiently for the HP DeskWriter printer drivers (version 2.1) because
I thought that all my problems with low-level printing under White Knight
were finally over.  Unfortunately, I was sadly disappointed. To the contrary,
more problems were created with the new printer drivers.

I am running system software 6.03 on a Mac SE with 4 MEG of RAM. In addition,
I have a few inits such as SAM, SUM, SuperClock 3.9, ATM 2.0 and Pyro.

The problem arises when I try low-level printing such display screen to
printer or printer echo under White Knight 11.10. The first round of printing
is O.K. but that's it. After this, my cut, copy and paste functions are
disabled. In addition, launching and quiting Word 4.0 under Multifinder
produces the following error message "Macromaker couldn't save the changes
because of a file system error". The only solution left is to reinstall the
system software. I'm getting tired of reinstalling the system software!

If I select high-level printing, I can send display screen to the printer
but I can't use printer echo. So, even high-level printing does not work
perfectly.  Someone told me that version 2.1 would support low-level
printing but this seems to be incorrect, at least for me. In fact, high-
level printing is not satisfactory.

Did I get a bad installation disk from HP or is there a problem with the
new printer drivers? Am I the only one to experience such problems?

Please respond directly to me.

Leo G. Leduc
Laurentian University, CANADA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 91 09:16:54 CDT
From: "Joseph Counsil, Research Engineer" <C0428@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: IBM Proprinter ==> Mac+

Thank you to all who replied to my question about connecting an IBM Proprinter
to a MAC+.

The answer was simple:  By the Grappler interface hardware from Orange Micro,
and use the ImageWriter printer driver from the Chooser.

Again, Thanks!

-JAC-

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 91 08:10:04 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: IIsi Printer and Modem

When I receive my IIsi I am going to hook up a printer and a modem.  The
printer will probably be a Hewlett-Packard DeskWriter.  Someone told me I
should make sure the DW is packaged with AppleTalk!  Can anyone explain
this to me?  I thought the DeskWriter was made for the MAC; if so, why do
I have to make sure it comes with something special, like AppleTalk interface?

I now have an IBM 3151 ASCII terminal at home which I use to connect to the
mainframe at work using a microcom modem.  When I get the IIsi I still want
to use the microcom and TinCan to dial in to the mainframe, looking like a
VT100!  I have concerns, due to my own ignorance, about cabling the printer
and modem!  I want to make sure, before I buy anything, that I have the right
cables and that I connect the devices to the right ports!  Can anyone give me
a good outline of what to make sure of, what to avoid, what type of cables to
buy, and/or any books that may go into these concerns in depth?

feats@vtvm1     or     feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: 08 Apr 91 21:21:36
From: Robert.H.Gross@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #82

knapp@cs.utexas.edu wrote:
LaCie recently changed their upgarde policy for SilverLining.
Previously, you sent in your original disk and $5.-, and they would
send you the newest version. Having to send in the disk was a major
hassle, but I could live with that.

I had problems with version 5.22 in that it is not reentrant (can't be
used for System 7's virtual memory), and in that it crashes Apple's
DiskCopy which is used to distribute system software via FTP. When I
inquired about an upgrade LaCie informed me that they changed the
upgrade fee from $5.- to $25.-!

Considering that every user of SilverLining that wishes to use virtual
memory in System 7 will have to upgrade, and that many other minor
version changes are due to bug fixes (current version is 5.28), I
consider this fee hike a scam on LaCie's part to squeeze money out of
their customers most of whom will have no choice but to buy the upgrade.

If you feel strongly about this, please write LaCie a letter. Address
it to:

 --------------------- end of quoted material ------------------------

   I have to respond to this with two points. First, I do not think it is
unreasonable for LaCie to charge $25 for their upgrades. It takes a
considerable effort to keep up with all Apple's changes and to support users
that slam into problems brought about by Apple's changes. This requires
programming time and support time, not to mention the time to update the
records and actually exchange disks.

   Second, I am writing this note on a Mac SE/30 running SilverLining
partitions (set up with version 5.19, the only version I have) using System
7.0 b6. It worked with b1 and b4 also. I have not had any trouble with
SilverLining partitions in the several years I have been using it since I
bought my LaCie drive. I even have system 6.0.7 on one partition and System
7.0 on another partition - whichever volume is first alphabetically will be
the one that boots the Mac. Although I have had some incompatibility problems,
mostly with older applications and INITs/cDEVs, I have never had any problems
that could be attributed to the SilverLining partitioning.

                                 - Bob Gross
                                   bob.gross@dartmouth.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 19:13 EDT
From: RICHIE <GU090RWM%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

What is the best word processor program for a MAC LC. I would like
to hear people's preferences..thanks..

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 16:05:26 CDT
From: Steve Kohlmeyer <steve@sunserver.psych.umn.edu>
Subject: loading color PICT files/resources

My question concerns loading PICT files and resouces into offscreen
bitmaps on Mac II - IIfx.  Volume 5 of I.M. (pg 88-89) shows a routine
for loading PICT files.  This routine works fine for black and white
images but I cant get it to work for color PICT files.  I would be very
grateful for any suggestions for loading color PICT files.  Thanks.
Please respond to steve@eye.psych.umn.edu.  --Steve Kohlmeyer.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 09:43:22 CST
From: Fabio%cca.pue.udlap.mx@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Mac expo

Hi mac-users,

        could some 1 of you answer this easy question?

        WHICH ARE THE DATES OF THIS THREE EVENTS:
        MAC EXPO IN BOSTON
        MAC EXPO IN VIENNA
        MAC EXPO IN AMSTERDAM

        You can reply to this list or directely to me.

                        Sincerely  Fabio

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 21:28 EDT
From: shadrach todd <SHTODD@vaxsar.vassar.edu>
Subject: PostScript downloader code wanted

I'm looking for skeleton code for a PostScript downloader for the
mac (C or Pascal). Please mail me directly if you have any, know
of any, or can point me in the right direction. I will summarize
if there is enough interest.

Thanks for reading,

Shad

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 91 16:43 EST
From: DRBH@db1.cc.rochester.edu
Subject: Random number generator?

Does anyone know a good alogithm for a random number geneator?
The "random" call in various Mac programing languages is not very good. For
convenience I would like to seed it with the TickCount.  Any suggestions
much appreciated. Barry Hall DRBH@UORDBV

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 00:48:12 -0700
From: Bob Lantz <lantz@apple.com>
Subject: Reading MS-DOS disks from A/UX.

In comp.sys.mac.digest Dan Stewart writes:

>I have some MS-DOS formated disks containing compressed (and uncompressed)
>tar files for A/UX, and I can't figure out how to copy them over.  I've
>tried the Apple File Exchange program, but is seems to be saving them
>as a Mac resource file on A/UX (using MSDOS to MAC copy, default
>translation).  The size is a bit larger than the original file also.
>If anyone has any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong, or some
>other utility/method to use, I would appreciate it.

On A/UX, Macintosh files are stored in AppleSingle or AppleDouble format.
The fcnvt(1) utility, supplied with A/UX, converts between these formats
as well as BinHex, MacBinary, and raw triple.  This is further documented
in the _A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Interface_ manual.

>I had ftp'd the files to a DOS disk (my only choice) for use on A/UX,
>since I can't ftp directly to that system.  Please send any suggestions
>directly to me, as I'm not yet on the info-mac mailing list.

Sorry Dan, but your address didn't come through correctly.

>Thanks,
>Dan Stewart

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  7 Apr 91 01:17:52 EST
From: dpw%cosy.uoguelph.ca@vm.uoguelph.ca
Subject: Scheduling program

Does anyone know of an Excel macro, Hypercard stack or independent
application that will schedule multiple simultaneous events, e.g.
sporting events, conference sessions, college classes, etc.?
It should be able to handle several variables at once.

The application Do It Now (I think that's the title) is large,
but from the description I have, I doubt it can handle simultaneous
events.

Thanks,

Don Webb
(DonWebb@CSUS.Edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 09:07:38 EST
From: mperry@sydvm1.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: SG boards for NuBus

Hi there,
I was reading in my local trade mag that Silicon Graphics will be shortly
releasing NuBus versions of their graphics boards, and their GL library.

Does anyone have any further information on availability, price, specs, etc?

Also, seeing I have an SE/30, is there any way to add a NuBus architecture
externally my machine via the PDS slot? Or am I asking something
architecturely (sp?!) or financially impossible? :-)

Thanks for any advice ...    Mark.
"The above are my opinions only, not representing my employer, etc."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 16:39 EDT
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: stylewriter follow-up (final edition?)

Final answers to a few questions elicited by my two previous reports on
stylewriter over this net...

Edges of an 8-1/2 x 11 page are .277 inches from top and bottom, .25 inches
>From right and left. There is absolutely no deterioration of image at these
limits.

Grayscale comes out about as well as it does on a b&w LaserWriter, except that
some banding is visible, even when no blending is taking place. I have a
greyscale monitor, and a block of five different grays from lightest to darkest
came out as five different grays from lightest to darkest on the stylewriter
as well. Technique is the same as for a b&w LaserWriter (variation of tiny
dot size). Extremely convincing and pleasant looking.

Color apparently comes out exactly as on a b&w LaserWriter as well, that is,
everything that is not the background color comes out black.

Finally, recall that in previous note I complained of poor quality printing
of screen fonts. In particular I said that a document in Monaco 9 came out no
longer monospaced, thereby ruining my columnization. Our brilliantly intuitive
Humanities support person at the computing center here at Swarthmore College
opined that the same technique as on an ImageWriter might be in order: install
a double font size. I created a Monaco 18, installed it, and it *solved* *the*
*problem*. *ALL* pure screen fonts look *far* better if there is double size
available (and in this case it restored perfect columnization and monospacing
as well). (Name of wise, experienced, talented support person: Matt Wall. Do I
get the money now? :-)

neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: 7 Apr 91 14:06:48 GMT
From: elsmed@bu-pub.bu.edu (Dipesh Navsaria)
Subject: StyleWriter Margins

Howdy, folks.
     Kyle Griffin asked about the StyleWriter's minimum margins.  According
to Apple's official specs, the minimum top and bottom margins are .25 inches,
and the minimum left and right margins are .25 inches as well.
     As for my StyleWriter, I love it!  It's high-quality, small and quiet.
For a crowed college dorm room, it's perfect in terms of size, and since I
love laser-quality output, this gives it to me right in my room.  Finally, it
doesn't have that ear-splitting whine that the ImageWriter II has.  Best of
all, at university pricing levels, it's cheap!
     With the way the output tray folds out, sometimes I think that Apple
reused an old design from those Transformers toys... 8)

                                     ----> Dipesh Navsaria
                                           (elsmed@bu-pub.bu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 91 10:35:54 PST
From: HARRIS%ORN.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: text data base info

This is in reply to Gerda van den Berg's query regarding text database programs
for the MAC--

I am certain that Odesta Helix/Double Helix program can handle large
text fields (32K or maybe even more); Reflex Plus may also do the job and
is easier to use. If you are really serious you can try 4th dimension or
Foxpro, but those have much steeper learning curves.

Jeffrey H. Harris
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 11:53 EST
From: MITCHELL@nmr.biophys.upenn.edu
Subject: Word 4.0 maintenance release: 4.0d

I came across a bug in Microsoft Word 4.0 for the Mac.  When reading plain text
files, such as the data files I import from a VAX, Word can crash (ID 02)
during a search and replace.

Microsoft Tech Support was aware of this bug, and informed me that another
maintenance release was available to fix it.  The release is version 4.0d
and is available on request to registered users, by calling Tech Support.
This is the second such unannounced bug fix I am aware of; 4.0b was released
maybe a year ago.

Not to get down on this program, though.  I am using it for my Ph.D.
dissertation, about 100 pages including much imported graphics, and its not
had a glitch on it yet.  If you make an effort to read the manual and use
the features like style sheets and outlining, your work will be much easier
and very professional-looking.  You can use multiple table of contents
levels to make separate listings of figures and tables to go with the contents.

I would be glad to e-mail a copy of the style sheet and outline to those of
you who are also working on dissertations.  Just send a note and your address.

Howzat!?!
Matthew Mitchell        mitchell@nmr.biophys.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 91 11:29:19 EST
From: John_Olsthoorn%CMR001.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: XEROX Full Page Display Problems (?)

Good day,

I have two questions. The first is about a XEROX full page display
I have hooked up to my MAC SE. I am using TopShelf as init & control
panel to drive the monitor. The problem is that after a while, on the
monitor I get vertical lines appearing where my cursor is and it
reaches the point when I can hardly see anything on the screen because
of all the vertical lines. I have to shut the system down, reboot, and
then the screen MAY clear. The  problem seems intermittent, I have
run the SE with System 6.04 loaded up with inits and all that good
stuff and with just bare bones system software. Is it the monitor,
the interface, the software? Anyone has any ideas?

The second question is how do I download the System 7.0 software
that was submitted via Info-Mac. I saw that it was posted
OOPS it just hit me - it was posted April 1st. forget this question.

Please respond to me regarding the first question either via info-mac
or to me directly: OLSJ@CMR001.BITNET.

THANKS
J OLSTHOORN

End of Info-Mac Digest