info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/13/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 12 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 85

Today's Topics:

      [*] _Launch qc b5
      [*] Caesar -- A board game
      [*] Converse, the User Friendly Party Trick
      [*] PrintAid 1.0 submission
      [*] Sumex downloader
      [*] util/floppy-unlocker-101.hqx
      America Online!
      audio/video help
      Danny Goodman's Focal Point Stack
      for info-mac digest
      IIsi to NTSC
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #82
      Mac SE to LaserJet II connections...
      Mounting PC Disks under System 7.0
      Of Printers n' Scanners
      Printing and System 7.x
      Random Number Generator
      Screen Adj @ download query
      SilverLining/LaCie flame
      StyleWriter, DeskWriter and TrueType (2 msgs)
      System 6.0.7 on an SE
      text database

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon,  1 Apr 91 12:55:17 -0500 (EST)
From: "Michael A. Libes" <ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] _Launch qc b5

Here is the latest version of _Launch, qc b5.

I fixed all the bugs I could find.  I hope you have no trouble with this
release, it has never crashed on me in 1 month of testing.

_Launch is a Multifinder Enhanser.  It provides an icon dock so you can
start applications and open files without searching through multiple
folders in the Finder.

_Launch is Shareware, but it's cheap.  Try it out...

[Archived as /info-mac/util/launch-qcb5.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 91 3:39:28 PST
From: "Mark R. Wilkins" <wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu>
Subject: [*] Caesar -- A board game

Caesar is a board game played on a 7x7 go-type board with Reversi
pieces.  This game is fluid enough that many experienced Go and
Reversi players have thrown up their hands in disgust at the
difficulty of assimilating its nuances.  Can you handle it? :-)

-- Mark Wilkins
   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/game/caesar.hqx; 77K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 12:30:05 PST
From: Joseph A. Ruff <ruff@sierra.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Converse, the User Friendly Party Trick

Converse is a fake Artificial Intelligence program. Fool your
friends and get loads of laughs. Measure how gullible they are.
Converse is actually a simple program which communicates over an
AppleTalk network. Tell your friends that you have a new AI
program and let them try it out. Meanwhile, your accomplice is
actually controlling the program's responses from another
computer in another room.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/converse.hqx; 121K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 91 14:33:49 EST
From: Jim Walker <jwwalker@csd.scarolina.edu>
Subject: [*] PrintAid 1.0 submission

Return-Receipt-To: 76367.2271@compuserve.com

This is PrintAid 1.0.  I have posted it on CompuServe and America Online,
but not to any other Internet archives.

If you have a printer other than a LaserWriter, you have
probably been annoyed that when you print, background
processes stop, and you can't do the printing in the
background.  PrintAid is a control panel extension
(INIT/cdev) that alleviates this problem.  It's not a
spooler, but it's the next best thing.

MultiFinder and System 6.0.4 or later are required.

 -- James W. Walker

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/print-aid.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 91 14:52:49 EST
From: holla%monique@gatech.edu (Craig Hollabaugh)
Subject: [*] Sumex downloader

Here is a HC stack that will help anybody who constantly
downloads files from sumex. It generates ftp scripts from
the recent-files.txt and all-files.txt files. It takes the
pain out of downloading files. Give it a try!
You need to know about ftp and .netrc, they are briefly explained.

Craig Hollabaugh
Analog Microelectronics, Georgia Tech
holla@monique.adgrp.gatech.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/sumex-downloader.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 91 08:30:42 -0800
From: Bradley A. West <brad@aerospace.aero.org>
Subject: [*] util/floppy-unlocker-101.hqx

Have you ever come across a floppy or hard disk with a software
lock?  Someone came to me with one and after searching
everywhere I couldn't find anything that would easily remove
the lock, so I wrote something.
This is Floppy Unlocker and it simply removes software locks on
disks. It even places locks on floppies if that's what you want.
(something to get and keep handy in case you ever need it)
- Brad -

[Archived as /info-mac/util/floppy-unlocker-101.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 91 14:08:06 CDT
From: Rob Schoenborn <S099030@umrvma.umr.edu>
Subject: America Online!

How do I get logged onto America Online? I have looked everywhere, but
I can't find it listed anywhere! I have looked MacUser, MacWorld, and
as many BBS lists as I can!
Send Response to Rob Schoenborn s099030@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU or S099030@UMRVMA.bitnet

Thanks, Rob

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 09:16:32 EDT
From: BOWMAN%MOREKYPR.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: audio/video help

Hi,

I just joined this list.  I am the Manager of Academic Computing for
Morehead State University (Morehead, KY).  As this campus is mostly
PC compatible oriented (please don't yell and scream), I do not
get much of a chance to keep up with available technology for
the Mac.  Hopefully, this list will help me in that respect.

I asked the following questions at the MacGill server and received only
one response.  Andre Dumais supplied helpful information and suggested
I ask the same on this list.

Here is the info I am looking for: (Mac II oriented)

Can anyone recommend a thrid party color monitor, or is the Apple Comp.
monitor the best for the money?

What is the best 3D package available (must have solids and shading)?

Is there software available which can take a video image (from a Camera
or VHS), digitize it (Full Color), and have the ability to edit the image?

What is the best digitizing/sampling audio hardware/software?

If rough pricing information is available for the above, that would be
helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

Todd Bowman
bowman@morekypr.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 15:33:20 PDT
From: Robert Pierce <piercer@nv-ngnet.army.mil>
Subject: Danny Goodman's Focal Point Stack

Hi everyone. This is my first question to info-mac, although I've been
an avid reader for about six months now.

I'm just starting to explore the wonders (mysteries) of HyperCard and
have basically been plowing my way through Danny Goodman's excellent book
"The Complete HyperCard Handbook" and its companion developers guide.

Its an older version (1988) which covers HC 1.2 (I know, a little behind
the times but I haven't scraped enough pennys together for the upgrade
yet.) I'm interested in his FocalPoint software, which seems to do alot
of what I interested in doing, but I found no mention of how to get it
and I haven't been able to find it in any of the catalogs. Can anyone
help with some information or comments on this software?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1991 18:15:45 +1000
From: vthrc@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au
Subject: for info-mac digest

suggested TITLE: "Wanted: Touch Typing Tutor // Bugs in MacGawk"

Hi netland,
           I guess this is a common request, but can someone give me
pointers to public-domain touch-typing tutors. I had a bit of a scratch
around info-mac but I may have overlooked the obvious. After more than a
decade of the hunt-and-peck approach I'm starting to resent having to look
away from the screen - I also want to prevent atrophy in eight of my
appendages!

Danny Thomas,  University of Queensland  email: vthrc@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au
PS I don't think I need visual/auditory rewards, but I can probably live
with them.

Subsidiary Question: has anyone else had problems with MacGawk 1.0?
Any use of a character set in a regular expression seems to provoke an
error
eg with one-line script "/^[0-9]+$/  {print $0}"
"MacGawk: fatal error: Memory exhausted: /^[0-9]+$/" no matter how much I
allocate to the partition, and even after removing all INITs and running
under Finder. I wrote to the author a month ago without receiving a reply.
As the documentation clearly states Tom is to be the sole contact point for
bug reports. Although MacGawk is a port of Gnu Awk, the FSF have a policy
of not supporting the Macintosh because of Apple's attempts to copyright
look-and-feel but they can't and don't stop other people doing the ports,
they simply won't support them.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 13:03 CST
From: WSIMPSON%UWPG02.UWinnipeg.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: IIsi to NTSC

Some time ago there was a message about taking a video card output and
combining signals to get an NTSC signal (normal video).  Is there a way to
do this with the signals coming out of a IIsi (built-in video)?  How do you
connect the pins to an RCA phono connector?

Bill Simpson
wsimpson@uwpg02.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 09:37:26 CDT
From: sobiloff@stolaf.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #82

In article <9104082228.AA18554@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> you write:
>Date: Fri, Apr 5, 1991 9:35:30 AM
>From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
>Subject: Hard partitioning
>
>As far as hard partitioning goes, I've used Silverlining from La Cie for about
>a year now very happily. It's a true SCSI partitioner and can even resize and
>add and delete partitions without reformatting the entire drive. It's quick to
>initialize, format, and optimize, and overall I have few complaints.

Is anyone familiar with FWB's new drive software? I'll soon be purchasing a
new HD and would like to hear about FWB's software in comparison to La Cie's--
it looks like FWB's might be more powerful (at least according to MacWEEK).
Also, does anyone know of any mailorder places that carry the Hard Disk
ToolKit? Thanks in advance...
						-Blake Sobiloff
						sobiloff@stolaf.edu

------------------------------

Date: 10 Apr 91 01:44:22 GMT
From: elsmed@bu-pub.bu.edu (Dipesh Navsaria)
Subject: Mac SE to LaserJet II connections...

   Howdy.  My roommate wants to connect his Macintosh SE to a
Hewlett-Packard LaserJet II printer.  Can anyone out there help
me with these questions:
   o What sort of hardware/software does he need?

   o In terms of new printer drivers, which company makes them?

   o Finally, what limitations will he have printing to the HP
     as opposed to an Apple LaserWriter?

   Please try to reply via e-mail.  I'll summarize to the net if there
is interest...Thanks a trillion!  8)

                             ----> Dipesh Navsaria (elsmed@bu-pub.bu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 9:50:49 BST
From: Nigel Bruce <ecl6nb@sun.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: Mounting PC Disks under System 7.0

Hello Netters

Am I right in thinking that System 7.0 will make third-party utilities like
PC Access and DOS Mounter redundant? In other words are the rumours that
it allows you to mount PC disks and use them like Mac disks true?

Thanks for your help

Nigel Bruce
Leeds University
Computing Services
U.K.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1991 16:30 EST
From: AMINZADE%uvmvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Of Printers n' Scanners

I said I'd post to the net info about my laser printer and
scanner questions.   Here's the summary.  Thanks to all,
particularly to Rob Schoenborn <S099030@UMRVMA.bitnet>,
<midkiff@leland.stanford.edu>
Becky Hudgins <BLH100S@oduvm.cc.odu.edu>,
hoepfner@heawk1.bitnet (Patrick Hoepfner), Russell Rogers
<rogers@parc.xerox.com>, midkiff@leland.stanford.edu (Neil
Midkiff), piercer@nv-ngnet.army.mil, and
<Tom.Lane@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU> for lots of useful information.

Becky Hudgins not only gave me information on scanners, but
mailed me a report she completed comparing them.  Thanks!

SCANNERS

Though I liked the elegant ADB interface, the sexy lines,
 the dath-vader-like black hue, and the glitzy promise of
OCR, but everyone told me that the OCR was a bit too kludgy,
not quite ready for prime time.  Also that the graphics were
1-bit.  lightningscan, with more gray scale and a cheaper price seems like the b
   etter deal.  A big Kurzweil scanner is
the only way to go for serious OCR (the price looks like a
phone number...139-5000, or $13,950.00 in American...).
Flatbed scanners sound better, so I decided to just save the
money and keep mooching off of nearby offices for my
scanning.

PRINTERS
As for Laser Printers, everyone gave me the same story,
othough Neil Midkiff (midkiff@leland.stanford.edu) said it best:

Check out the QMS PS-410 laser printer.  It has three built-
in ports: AppleTalk (with full Adobe-licensed PostScript);
Centronics-style parallel; RS-232.  You can set the serial
and parallel ports to default to HP PCL 4 emulation, to
PostScript, or to automatically sense and switch.  The
printer maintains three independent buffers for the input
ports, and can receive simultaneously on all, without any
user switching or intervention. (You'll presumably have to
de-collate the output pages yourself, since there's only one
output tray.)  High-quality printing (wonderful blacks!)
with Canon LX engine (4 ppm, same as in Apple Personal LW NT
and HP LJ III), but VERY fast PostScript interpretation,
>From 16.7 MHz 68020 processor.  Best of all: street price of
$2000.

Well, that still ouches a bit, but considering how many
computers (mac 'n PC) we'll be hooking up, it sounds like a
very good deal.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1991 12:06 EST
From: Mehboob Alam - Macintosh Monster <MD_MALAM@vaxc.stevens-tech.edu>
Subject: Printing and System 7.x

HI,

Back in May 1989, when System 7.0 was but a gleam in everyone's eye,
possibly even most Apple engineers' eyes, some details (or rather,
plans) were leaked in various publications. Here's most of them, as I
remember them...

System 7.0 was going to introduce a radical change in the Macintosh
printing architecture. The new printing architecture would have
several ramifications, most favorable for everyone, some unfavorable
to developers... users would fervently thank the printer gods for
being so kind and making their lives easier; the developers would
have to rewrite all their printer drivers and curse Apple under their
collective breaths...

1- The physical size of the printing page would be consistent for all
   printers, i.e., no more going to 'Page Setup...' to fix the page
   margins. This would also mean that applications and users didn't have
   to worry about formatting documents to print properly on different
   printers, i.e. ImageWriter II vs. LaserWriter vs. Linotype etc.

2- The Print Monitor would provide background printing for EVERY
   printer, as long as they were written according to the new
   specifications. This, of course, meant that every printer driver
   would have to be re-written. (More on this later...)

3- In the print dialog box, there would be a pop-up menu with a list
   of available printers. That is, from the print dialog box, one could
   select the printer, select a different printer. No more going to the
   chooser to change printers. (#1, as mentioned above would
   eliminate having to worry about formatting changes)

4- With the new print architecture, every application would have
   print-preview built-in. Like the print-preview button built into
   Excel, one could select 'Print preview' check-box, and then have an
   interactive preview of their document.

   Since printing is now more device-independant, the print-manager
   now takes on a larger load of the document imaging involved. The
   application prints a QuickDraw image of the page, and then the
   print-manager interacts with the print-driver to translate this to
   the target printer. So instead of sending the information to the
   printer, the print-manager displays the images on the screen.

5- Print Monitor would be much more flexible. PM would allow one to
   re-direct the print job, i.e. if you found yourself waiting too long
   for a printer, you could just select the document that is waiting to
   be printed, and send it to another printer.

   Since the print-architecture was being redesigned from scratch,
   the Print Monitor would be much more Multi-Finder friendly, not
   freezing up your Mac for periods while it was doing its thing.

6- As mentioned in another message here, printers would now be
   accessible as icons on the desktop. One can double-click on the
   LaserWriter icon, and it would display a list of printers and zones.
   The printer that you select would be your default printer.

   Dragging a document to the Laserwriter icon would signal the owner
   application to print that document to the default printer of that
   type. This is the equivalent of selecting a document in the Finder
   and then selecting the 'File-Print' menu.

7- Applications, if re-designed to the new specifications, could
   change page orientations on a page-by-page basis. That is, one can
   choose the portrait format for the whole document, but then change
   specific pages for a different size and orientations; for example,
   page 3 would be landscape, page 9 would be landscape and envelope
   size, etc.

   Apparently, there would have also been a mechanism for better
   handling of multiple-bin sheet feeders, a 'feature' sorely missing
   today.

   Unfortunately, this feature was too revolutionary for the developers.
   This would have meant total redesign of all printing applications.
   Hence it was one of the first ideas to be retracted by Apple.

8- Printer drivers would have to be completely rewritten to become
   '32-bit clean' and optimized for the new print architecture. But
   Apple engineers also worked to make the work less of an issue.
   Developers would receive a 'print-driver tackle-box' to help them.
   85% of the printer-driver would be device independant, so the
   developer would only have to rewrite the bottom 15% that was
   device-dependant, i.e. the portion that actually communicated with
   the printer hardware and did the imaging.

   The new print-architecture was designed to cover as many hardware
   bases as possible, running from the low-resolution ImageWriter I and
   other 9-pin printers, to the fax-modem genre, all the way to
   color-printers, type-setters, film-printers, slide-makers, etc.

   Making it easy to now write print-drivers meant that more
   developers, large and small could enter the Macintosh printer market,
   a market that was always dominated by Apple. Apple engineers figured
   that this would cause Apple's market share for printers to drop to
   less than 50%, but it would also increase the printer options 5-fold,
   so it was an acceptable trade-off. (Very generous of them...)

   Another possibility, especially for the university audience (as I
   see it), is that in-house developers could develop custom drivers
   to give Macintosh users access to main-frame printers (IBM, Xerox,
   DEC etc.) and network printer and also build in security and
   accounting features. Just a thought...

Well, that's as far as I can remember. I can only kick myself for not
clipping those articles and keeping them. After all, at that time it
sounded like System 7.0 was just around the corner, instead of a
two-year wait.

In conclusion, System 7.0 is only half the story. The other half were
held back because of time-frame anxiety, developer concerns etc. I
can only encourage everyone to upgrade to System 7.0 and then rail on
every developer who doesn't release compatible software soon enough.

Apple, on the other hand, should be doing more to inform the user
community of coming improvements and changes. But then, seeing how
Microsoft is re-announcing Apple's ideas as their own, I can
understand why Apple is so secretive about things like this.

Mehboob Alam
MD_MALAM@SITVAX.STEVENS-TECH.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 14:14:42 MET DST
From: gs@statlab.uni-heidelberg.de (G. Sawitzki)
Subject: Random Number Generator

Barry Hall asked for algorithms for random number generators.

Most of the usual random number generators are linear congruence generators
following a scheme
   x'= a x + b mod c,
the correct choice of the constants being the trick. The random number generator
implemented in quickdraw is in fact a decent choice. The correct way to use it is
  a) initialize it once before using it, after you initialized quickdraw.
     you can use
         randseed:=tickcount;
  b) when you want a new random number, do the following
         garbage:=random;
         myNewRandomNumber:=randseed;
The true 32-bit random number is kept in randseed. Random is derived from it,
and truncated to integer size. Unless you just need it for games, you better
through away "garbage".

The SANE function RandomX follows the same algorithm, but at least with MPW 3.0
the implementation is slower than the one in Quickdraw, so there is no need to
use it.

If a random number generator with larger range is needed, there is an algorithm
in B.Ripley: Thoughts on Pseudorandom Number Generators, in'Random Numbers and
      Simulation', Lambrecht 1988
which has a period 2^521-1.
 Guenther

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1991 21:18:25 EDT
From: DORAN@bowdoin.edu (Roger W. Doran)
Subject: Screen Adj @ download query

The book MACINTOSH REPAIR & UPGRADE SECRETS by Larry Pina, Hayden Books,
has a section on how to check the size and adjust it if necessary.

I am new to this list and am puzzled about "downloading".  Can
someone give me an example of how to do this.

Thanks,

Roger   (DORAN@BOWDOIN.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 91 13:44:30 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SilverLining/LaCie flame

On 5 Apr 91 18:23:30 GMT you said:
>inquired about an upgrade LaCie informed me that they changed the
>upgrade fee from $5.- to $25.-!
>
>Considering that every user of SilverLining that wishes to use virtual
>memory in System 7 will have to upgrade, and that many other minor
>version changes are due to bug fixes (current version is 5.28), I
>consider this fee hike a scam on LaCie's part to squeeze money out of
>their customers most of whom will have no choice but to buy the upgrade.

What's the upgrade WORTH?  IF you INSIST on formatting your hard disk
with SilverLining; if you MUST use virtual memory (given the present
prices of RAM, if you keep bumping into "out of memory" maybe performance
criterion would make more RAM wise *anyway*), then isn't reentrant worth
$25 to you (and others)?  How easy is it to tear a routine apart, make it
work a different way, put it back together AND ASSURE continued reliable
service?  If that's only worth $5, then you should be able to patch the
software yourself, yes?  I think perhaps you should be happy they are
"throwing in" the other (minor depends on whether it bites you or not) bug
fixes while they're at it.  It sounds to me like you're looking the proverbial
gift horse down the throat.

Some of us own software that's been abandoned by their vendors (we have
no plans to upgrade).  That's the equivalent of an infinite price for a
needed fix.  Is that a "scam."  If LaCie's getting too much money, then
go into competition with them and rake in some for yourself.

"Gee, Mr. Morgan how much does it cost to maintain your yacht."
Answer: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 00:24:06 PDT
From: "Rainer Fuchs, EMBL Data Library" <Rainer.Fuchs%EMBL-Heidelberg.DE@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: StyleWriter, DeskWriter and TrueType

>On the other hand, the current MacWorld (May) shows comparative output, and
>they managed to get distinctly better quality from the SW (p.144). My question
>is: is the better quality due to the SW resolution of 360dpi as opposed to
>the DW's 300dpi, or is it due to TrueType?
>
>If it's due to TrueType, the next question is whether the DW can output
>TrueType fonts. Any advice?

I use my DW with TrueType fonts, and the print quality is superb. IMHO, the
TT fonts look even better than the fonts provided by HP !

Rainer Fuchs
EMBL Data Library
Fuchs@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE

------------------------------

Date: 10 Apr 91 13:06:02 GMT
From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)

   MacWorld has an article about 12 lo-cost printers.  You should get a
copy before you buy any.  It shows that the type of paper that is used
is very important in any of the Ink Jet printers.  The LaserPrinters
work well on just about any type of paper.

hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 91 20:32:13 -0500
From: Douglas Renze <drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: System 6.0.7 on an SE

Some poor soul wanted to know what 6.0.7 would do to his SE.  Still want to
know?  Absolutely nothing.  This question has been hashed and rehashed on
comp.sys.mac.system, and the general conclusion, unofficially supported by
those people at Apple who chose to put their $0.02 in is that 6.0.7 is good
for all macs...if you want the enhanced functionality provided by it.  And it
won't harm it.  Not all the enhanced functionality of 6.0.7 will work with your
SE, but that's mostly because you simply don't need it...you don't need a
brightness CDEV, etc.  But it won't hurt.

PS, I know this from experience:  I've been running 6.0.7 on my SE with loads
    of INITS, CDEVS, etc, and I've had no crashes.  And I'm sort of an appli-
    cations developer (as a hobby & for shareware $$$) and have found no basic
    differences between what will crash my mac under 6.0.5 & 6.0.7.

PPS, If all you want is TrueType, I've been told that the TrueType init on the
    StyleWriter install disks also works under 6.0.5.

------------------------------

Date: 10 Apr 91 12:43:28 GMT
From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: text database

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

   Another non-obvious solution to the text database question is
On Location.  This is an INIT and DA combination which includes not
only text but also documents like MS Word, MacWrite, WriteNow, and
all the other word processors.  This indexes the text in all of your
documents and even includes a viewer (using XTND) which can display
and print a document EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE APPLICATION!

   This makes for a very nice free-form database.  The scientists
here use it to find references to a particluar item across many
different documents.  It is like GREP only faster A LOT FASTER!
Once you get hooked on it you won't be able to live without it!  It
even does all of the indexing in the background and stops indexing
when you start to use your machine so as not to interupt what you are
doing.  It is very slick.

Date: TUE, 09 Apr 91 14:06:13 EDT
From: "Marc Dionne" <TRRMICR%UQTR.UQuebec.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>

I am looking for a software to protect confidentiality of the data contain in
the hard disk of your staff. I want something like SUM Partition from SUM II
who can hide a part of my hard disk and allow acces to it by a password.
The price of the software must be lower of SUM II.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc Dionne      NetNort/Bitnet: Trrmicr@Uquebec.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  9 APR 91 19:43:51 GMT
From: SCOFFIN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu

Re : TrueType fonts on the DeskWriter

Yes they do work, and very nice they are too. The TT init co-exists nicely
with ATM v2.0. I have Courier, Helve, Times, Symbol as TT fonts and my
own personal fav. Palatino as ATM. The new symbol font is very nice in big
sizes and is legible down to 6 point... One thing though, there is a
problem with PopChar and TrueType, so if like me you find this init very
useful you may wish to stick with ATM for the time being (?? Upgrade in
the pipeline ???)...

  The SW's ink is supposedly non-smear which may help, I am currently using
one of the new HP cartridges with the little pink stickers which now
contain (on the quiet) water-resistant ink. This is done with a bit of
clever chemistry relying on the solubility of the ink being different in
alkali and acid (paper is slightly acidic). I would give a glowing report
but unfortunately one nozzle is taking an extended vacation, so all is not
perfect. Hopefully I just got a duff cartridge. BTW the box comes with
a little note saying that an upgrade is available for early DW's (check
if the catridge "saddle" is fawn or black. Fawn ones need an upgrade, supposed
to make your cartridge las twice as long. When I get a chance I will contact
HP here in the UK about this. My usual experience with them suggests a great
deal of "never heard of it" and "so the DeskWriter is an oscilloscope then".

Rob Scoffin

End of Info-Mac Digest