info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/19/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 18 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 91

Today's Topics:

      Administrivia
      [*]TidBITS#55/15-Apr-91
      3-D Reconstruction Software
      America On Line WARNING!
      Backup of appleshare volume with many folders
      Binhex to MS-DOS machines?
      Control Panel Lockout Summary
      Deuterium Oxyde and MSWORD 4.x
      DiskDoubler & Salient
      FDHD Problem solutions - summary
      font conversion legality
      Getting the Internet tour
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #90
      Internet Tour
      LW II NTX and SCSI
      Mac/gnuucp questions
      Mac Plus Upgrade
      Modem connection 3270 emulator (V9N90)
      PostScript previewers for the Mac?
      Power consumption of accelerators
      Printing envelopes with the QMS-PS 410
      Shutdown from Hypercard?
      Suggestion for improved Subject lines on BB postings
      Up Your FCBs (Where is it?)
      Using Macs to present Psychological test stimuli
      Voyager Art
      White Knight Updaters

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1991 13:47:27 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

I will be away on vacation for the next week, so the digests may come out
more sporadically than usual. Jon will probably put some out, but he
doesn't usually handle archiving. Please hold off on unsolicited
binaries until two Mondays from now.

As the volume of submissions to Info-Mac grows, I am increasinly unable to
hold down the backlog to an acceptable level. If you are interested in
volunteering to help out as a moderator, please send mail to
info-mac-request.

Thanks,

Bill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, Apr 18, 1991 10:07:07 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: [*]TidBITS#55/15-Apr-91

[*]TidBITS#55/15-Apr-91

Sorry we're a few days late. Couldn't be helped since
we were out of town until late Tuesday night.

-Adam

Index of TidBITS#55/15-Apr-91
Reviews/15-Apr-91

MailBITS/15-Apr-91 - Clarification and news from the
people who know, TidBITS readers.

TechnoBITS/15-Apr-91 - The rest of the cool little
notes on new technologies that I had stored up.

The LC's Hidden Secret - Yes, Virginia, you can hook a
VGA monitor to your LC.

GigaGigaROM - How about a gigabyte of files on a
CD-ROM that can be easily hooked to a Second Sight
BBS?

El Cheapo Modem - Psst. Hey, Mister, wanna buy a 9600
baud modem for $169? Read on.

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-55.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1991 09:41 EDT
From: RADICE@urvax.urich.edu
Subject: 3-D Reconstruction Software

Is there software that will construct 3-D images from digitized outlines of 2-D serial  tissue sections?.  Microscope companies sell kilobuck dedicated systems that do this, but can I do it with my Mac IIsi?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 08:53:07 PDT
From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)
Subject: America On Line WARNING!

 ------
Dear Sir or Madam:

 I am writing in response to Rob Schoenborn's recent post in
today's Info-Mac.Digest on the America On Line Service.  I
would just like to say that, as a former subscriber to AOL,
I was very dissatisfied with their service and with the way
in which my situation was handled by the "moderators."

 From my experience, I am led to believe that AOL -- while
providing its customers with a snazzy Mac-interface -- has
little or no regard for the satisfaction of their subscribers.
I had a number of postings mysteriously removed from the
AOL boards with no reason or rationale provided to me.

 After several repostings, I finally received a notice from
the AOL "moderators" threatening me with termination of my
account if I did not refrain from my efforts.  This was the
first and only notice I received from the AOL "moderators."

 My relationship with AOL came to an end when they abruptly
cancelled my account (due to an alleged "payment problem"
despite my excellent credit rating).  Once again, I received
no warning of their actions.  I had to search for my original
software package to find their 800 number since they don't have
it posted anywhere in the "free" area, nor do they have it
listed in information (1-800-555-1212).

 In closing, AOL is severely delinquent in their "customer
service" efforts, leading one to believe that their primary
interest lies not in providing a high-quality service to
their users, but rather in lining their own pockets with
user fees.

-shane deichman

 ------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 09:12:39 +0200
From: kees@ooc.uva.nl (Kees de Ridder/Moret)
Subject: Backup of appleshare volume with many folders

Does anyone know of software which can backup AppleShare volumes with many folders?
Retrospect is very nice but has a limit of 4095 folders!!!!!

Kees de Ridder.
kees@ooc.uva.nl
AppleLink: Hol0146

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 00:02 EST
From: "Peter D.M. Macdonald" <PDMMAC%SSCvax.CIS.McMaster.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Binhex to MS-DOS machines?

I have been operating a very effective DTP system for the Statistical Society
of Canada. The editorial board has standardized on Word 4.0 and Stuffit 1.5.1
with Binhex for e-mail of text to and from the Editor, Managing Editor,
French translators, etc.

The incoming Editor insists on using an MS DOS machine. Mac MS Word will convert
DOS MS Word documents in either direction, and if we were mailing disks to each
other a SuperDrive with File Exchange would convert the files between Mac and
DOS correctly, but we want to e-mail the Word Binary files. Is
there a program I could run on the Mac to produce a hex file a DOS machine
could interpret, or a program to run on a DOS machine to produce a hex
file that a Mac could interpret? Has anyone tried anything like this?

Thanks,
Peter Macdonald

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 10:57:02 -0700
From: curfmanm@cas.orst.edu (Matthew Curfmanm)
Subject: Control Panel Lockout Summary

It would appear that I missed the obvious: simply removing the control panel
da when everything is set up correctly.  Thanks for all of your replys :)

Matt Curfmanm
curfmanm@darkstar.cas.orst.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 19:20 MET
From: "NYMEGEN UNIVERSITY (NL)" <HSCHOTEL%KUNRC1.URC.KUN.NL@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Deuterium Oxyde and MSWORD 4.x

Deuterium Oxyde and MSWORD 4.x
This is in addition to Matthew Howzat!?! MitchellYs answer to a question
by Ray Meng about Replace and formatting, in which Matthew described how he
wrote about Deuterium water in his dissertation. (infomacv9-089)
D2O has to be written with the 2 as a subscript. For this kind of
terms and even more so for more complex terms or complete phrases
one could save time by using the following procedure:

Make sure you are in the FULL MENUS mode (EDIT MENU FULL/SHORT MENUS)
   -------------------------

ADD MNEMONIC FOR YOUR TERM TO THE GLOSSARY
(1) Write your complex term exactly as you want it once
    (you migth want to add a blank character behind it)
(2) Select your term (and the blank character, you might
    also want to select a blank in front of your term)
(3) Type COMMAND-K (= Format Menu->GLOSSARY ...)
(4) Type a mnemonic for your term
    (in our case we could use od2o@)
(5) Click the DEFINE button and CANCEL the Glossary dialog

Now you have added the term to your glossary
(in working memory only!).

INSERTION OF MNEMONIC IN TEXT:
You can insert it in your text,
- via the glossary dialog,
- by using COMMAND-BACKSPACE (or DELETE) and typing in the
  mnemonic plus a return.
OR more flashy:
- you can make your mnemonic appear in a WORK MENU
  as follows:

CREATION TO / ADDITION OF WORK MENU:
(1) Type COMMAND-OPTION-PLUS (Cursor becomes a fat o+@).
(2) Type COMMAND-K to open your Glossary
(3) Select (=double click) your mnemonic from the scroll menu
(4) Cancel the glossary dialog (A work menu has appeared!)

To insert your complex term in your text selecting the mnemonic from the work me
   nu suffices.

When you QUIT MSWORD, you can have your glossary saved.

REMOVING AN ITEM FROM THE WORK MENU:
To REMOVE an item form the WORK MENU (or any other!) use
COMMAND-OPTION-Y-Y. Yes: You get a big MINUS sign for a cursor.
Click on the item you wanna remove.
Last Item removed removes the work menu.

By the way: the work menu is saved with your file, but only keeps working
if you save the changed glossary too!

More info can be found using MSWORDYs HELP facility!

Bye Bye
Henk Schotel
<Internet: HSCHOTEL@KUNRC1.URC.KUN.NL>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 23:10:42 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: DiskDoubler & Salient

Greetings,

  I just wanted to add my praise to Bill Doemel's in the last digest.  Salient
has been a wonderfully responsive company.

  I got DiskDoubler with my MassMicrosystems cartridge drive.  The version I
got was 3.0a.  I emailed them at their applelink address and asked if it was
possible to register faster than by sending in the little card.  The support
person was nice enough to write back and tell me what info he needed.  I
emailed it to him, and my update disk showed up about four days later!!!!!  I
was powerfully impressed.

  I also found a file on their forum on America Online which described a
hardware compression product called the DoubleUp board (by Sigma Designs),
which uses DiskDoubler as a front end.  I've sent them a check, and I'll send
a review to the digest when I've got it and tried it out.

'later,
--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 08:51:52 EDT
From: Barry Zalph <NOTCHES@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: FDHD Problem solutions - summary

Thanks to all of you who reponded to my query about my FDHD drive (in an
SE/30) that intermittently renders diskettes (or parts of diskettes)
unreadable and, sometimes, unable to be re-initialized.  Here is a
summary of the suspected causes suggested by fellow netters.
1) Dust, sucked in through the diskette slot, may have built up inside
the drive and may fall into the works intermittently.  One user reported
a similar problem being solved by having an Apple-authorized technician
open up the machine and clean out the drive; another suggested blowing
out the drive with compressed air.  Two suggested covering the diskette
slot (after cleaning the drive) with a piece of paperboard that can be
moved aside when a diskette needs to be inserted or ejected.  I was
admonished not to allow tobacco smoke near my computer (not a problem in
my case, but good advice).
2) I was told by several people not to format HD diskettes as 800K.  Two
netters stated this as a universal rule, while 2 claimed that this is a
problem only on FDHD drives, whereas 800K-formatted HD disks would work
fine, indefinitely, when formatted and used on 800K drives.
3) An early batch of FDHD drives had problems with the controller, which
was subsequently upgraded and might be covered by an extended ("secret")
warranty.  This problem gave rise to intermittent formatting problems
and read errors.
4) A damaged head can damage (and render unreadable) every diskette that
is inserted into the drive.  In that case, the head or drive must be
replaced.
5) There exists a shareware or freeware program named B.A.D. that locks
out bad sectors on diskettes, allowing their undamaged parts to be used.
One SE/30 owner, with a problem similar to mine, wrote that he uses
B.A.D. as a work-around but is eagerly awaiting a solution to this
vexing problem.  QUESTION: Where can i find B.A.D.?  Is it available on
the net?
6) One netter noted FDHD drives that reject a diskette as unreadable and
then, after 2-3 more insertions of the same diskette, have no more
problems with it.  No explanation was given.
7) Head alignment problems can lead to eventual unreadability of a disk,
especially when swapping disks between 2 Macs with unequally aligned
heads.  A disk written with a poorly aligned head will often be
unreadable on a machine with properly aligned heads.

I believe that my problem is likely to be due to a dust build-up inside
the drive.  For its first year, my machine was in a dusty (albeit non-
smoky) environment; i can see some dust on the metal drive parts near
the mouth or the diskette slot.  The dust, when applied to a spinning
diskette, would physically damage it, leading to the bad sectors
reported by PC-DOS when i reformatted one of my diskettes on a 1.44MB
PS-2 drive.  Dust would also be very unpredictable about when it might
fall into the works.  I have not yet had my machine disassembled for
internal cleaning.  I have loosely covered each of the air intake slots,
including the diskette slot, with low-density open-cell foam to serve as
an air filter.  I believe that there is still plenty of cooling air
flow, and have observed no overheating.
Thanks for the advice.  I hope that this summary is helpful to others.
Barry Zalph <notches @ vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 15:49:14 EDT
From: Glenn Fleishman <FLEGLEI%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: font conversion legality

Type 1 fonts you purchased into TrueType fonts, I'd like to refer him
& everyone to a recent posting by an Adobe Systems person on Usenet
(comp.fonts, I think). In this posting, for those of you without access,
this person said that Adobe for one will not pursue users who convert
fonts or otherwise modify them and use them as long as they are for
personal use or for use at the business who purchased on the licensed
number of machines ONLY. The Adobe rep said that they will pursue legal
action against anyone who uses any piece of Adobe fonts, converts or
modifies them, and them attempts to give away or sell them.

I am of the opinion that in the first case (home or business use) Adobe
would have a difficult time suing someone for modifying a product that
they legally purchased for personal or commercial use. I don't see how they
maintain, as this rep did in the posting, that they have a legal right to
prosecute people for this, but they weren't going to.

On the other hand, making commercial gain off of the intellectual property
of others without consent is illegal. I know there is some ambiguity over
the copyright of fonts and computer software, but in the last few years,
lawsuits seem to be settled in favor of clear copyright holders, when those
exist.

Another issue: if you own an IBM PC & a Mac & you buy the font for the Mac,
for instance, and then think, gee, it would be nice to use TrueType on
the IBM, and you convert the font & use it on that machine, that is clearly
illegal unless you have a site license or purchase an additional license
to use the font on that machine. Enough ambiguity for now.
Glenn Fleishman, Yale U. Printing Service. opinions my own.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 08:19 EST
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Getting the Internet tour

Graeme -
   I too had a little trouble getting the internet tour stack from
nnsc.nsf.net.  The problem was the ".sit.hqx" suffix, which caused my local VMS
system to choke.  I had to use

get Internet-Tour.sit.hqx internet.hqx

The second file name was the one to be given to my local VAX, and it worked
just fine.

Mark Nutter [manutter@grove.iup.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 23:37 CDT
From: "I'm back......." <DUCKENFP@carleton.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #90

	We have had a problem with out AppleShare file server. Our lab
configuration is as follows: 30 Macintoshes, 2 LaserWriters, 1 ImageWriter
and two file servers (IIcx's). The signal is boosted in the middle of the
network by a TOPS Repeater. The problem is that the file servers will
sometimes crash- the hard drive light will go on and stay on and all of
the Macintosh Pluses in the lab will hang when they try to access the
file server. There seems to be no solution to the problem. It doesn't seem
to be a hardware problem. Rebuilding the hard drives from scratch and
reformatting them has no effect. Also, with the AppleShare Printer Server
running, crashes seem to be more frequent. We also use TELNET via a
GatorBOX connected to the campus ethernet, but even when this is turned
off, crashes occur. Any ideas?

Paul Duckenfield
Carleton College
Computer Center
Micro Consultant

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 12:41:57 CDT
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Internet Tour

Thanks to all those who responded to my query about downloading the
internet tour from nnsc.nsf.net. In case anyone else wired to a CMS system
had the same problem as me, one solution is to use quotes around the
argument to Get and change the filename. Thus:

cd internet-tour
Get "Internet-Tour.sit.hqx" Internet-Tour.hqx

should work.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1991 13:51 EDT
From: SRIDAR@petvax.medcor.mcgill.ca
Subject: LW II NTX and SCSI

	Regarding David Mills' question about connecting a 20 Meg SCSI
drive to the NTX, I seem to recall that Apple rigged it so that you MUST use
an Apple 80 Meg SCSI drive.  Try to get your hands on one and check it out, or
verify this directly with Apple.

	On another note, has anyone come across a bibliographic reference
database to use with Word?  I'm thinking of something functionally like
Bibtex, where you place some sort of reference pseudonym into your document
(like Evans88).  The post processing program should then search the document,
replace all such citations with an appropriate number, and build a bibliography
section from a library of references.  It should also allow you to choose the
reference format (Medical Physics, SPIE, BJR, etc.) depending on the journal
you wish to submit a paper to.  I've heard of something called Bookends.  Has
anyone had any experience with this program?  Are their others?

	Any information will be appreciated.

Sridar Narayanan
sridar@petvax.medcor.mcgill.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1991 08:33 EST
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ULKYVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac/gnuucp questions

I have installed Mac/gnuucp on my Classic with no problems.  I sent a message
through the site that is forwarding for me back to my site with no problems.  I
sent mail to my friend on the other machine and he received it with no problem.
Trouble is, when he replied, the file came to my machine but the Hypercard mail
reader can't find the message.  It's there in the spool space, the program just
doesn't see it.  I have the reply address set to n4ple!mike where n4ple is the
site name and mike is the name I use on the Mac.

Everything in the configuration seems correct, there's not really that much to
screw up.  What's wrong here?  Are there other mail systems for the Mac that
are better?  I need a news reader that does NOT use NNTP as well.

Please respond direct to me.  Thanks in advance!

Mike Harpe
University of Louisville

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 08:46:30 +0300
From: "David L. Hirschberg" <BNHIRSCH%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac Plus Upgrade

Dear Netters,

I am planning to help a friend here upgrade a Mac Plus.  It is a basic
model with 1 meg of memory, two 800K floppies, and no hard drive.  My plan
is  to  increase the memory to 4MB and put in an 80 MB Quantum drive.  I
would also like to put in a fan and a 1.4 MB floppy drive.  I would like
to hear from people who have done this before.  I plan to order all the parts
>From the US and would like everything to fit and work the first time due
to distance and custom's hassels.  I have installed HD's in SE's and up, but
cannot remember if the pluses have SCSI ports or even need one for an
internal drive.  Anyone who has solved their plus problem with and alternate
upgrade path, I would love to hear the details.

Thank you in advance,

David L. Hirschberg
Rehovot, Israel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 10:22:50 EDT
From: Lew Shepherdson <SIMXT%UOTTAWA.BITNET@acadvm1.uottawa.ca>
Subject: Modem connection 3270 emulator (V9N90)

>From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
>Subject: Modem Connection 3270 emulator
>
>  (...lines not shown...)
>Another approach is to use outside hardware (a "protocol converter"),
>which looks like a 3274 to the mainframe, and like an ASCII host to the
>terminal.  This is typically expensive hardware that is owned by the
>mainframe computer center, since it has to be in the machine room to
>be channel-attached.  IBM makes a protocol converter with the number
>7171.  To connect this way, your Mac emulates some kind of ASCII terminal
>like a VT100, _not_ a 3270.  The 7171 takes care of fooling the mainframe
>into thinking you are a 3274/3278.

[Set BIAS_ALERT ON!!]

There are also software approaches to protocol conversion that work very
well. Simware Inc. has host software (in three mainframe versions--
MVS/VTAM, VM/VTAM and native VM) called Sim3278 that does all the 'fooling'
of the system to think it is a 3278 device.  There is also a complementary
Macintosh product called SimMac, whose major advantage over the hardware
approach is that SimMac directly emulates an "ascii 3270." This eliminates
the "double emulation" problem--i.e. you give your Mac a lobotomy to make
it into a VT100, which the 7171 makes into a 3270, ...instead SimMac
provides a block mode emulation, with all the 3270 attributes etc. handled
locally. It has tons of other features too...an extensive scripting language,
a facility called Views which lets you put a Macintosh-style front-end onto
your mainframe applications, etc.

Lew Shepherdson
Simware Inc.  (613) 727-1779

[Set BIAS_ALERT OFF...]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 18:42:57 +0100
From: ucca021@ucl.ac.uk
Subject: PostScript previewers for the Mac?

Does anyone know of a public domain or commerical PostScript interpreter for
the Mac which will allow you to preview raw PostScript on screen?
For the PC there seem to be several such versions of software available:
GoScript, UltraScript, Freedom of the Press and the public domain GhostScript -
I think these will also produce output of the PostScript on non-PostScript
printers like dot-matrix, HP LaserJet etc.
Will Aldus FreeHand or Adobe IIIustrator interpret imported PostScript and
produce a screen preview?

Charles Willoughby
Chemistry Department
University College London

------------------------------

Date: 17 April 1991 21:12:42 CDT
From: "Stephen Kawalko  " <U40857%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Power consumption of accelerators

In the recent discussion on accelerators for the Mac Plus and Mac
SE no one has brought up the question of how much power these
boards consume.  I recently receive some information from
Newbridge Microsystems on their NewLife accelerators.  Their
stated power consumption for their 25 MHz 68030/68881 accelerator
with four 1 MB SIMMs was 8 Watts.  This seems like a reasonable
value.  However, for their 33 MHz 68030/68882 accelerator with
256K of 25 ns static RAM cache memory and four 1 MB SIMMs a
typical value of 17 Watts with a possible maximum value of 25
Watts is given.  I thought Apple's recommended maximum value for
the power dissapation for a processor direct slot board was around
10 Watts?  Both these boards use a pass through connector so a
second board can be connected.  It sounds like a Mac SE with an
internal hard disk, a 33 MHz accelerator and another board such as
a video adapter could easily exceed the rating of the SE's power
supply (99 Watts).

Stephen Kawalko ( u40857@uicvm or u40857@uicvm.uic.edu )

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 12:46:52 CDT
From: auvdeso@auvsun1.tamu.edu (John DeSoi)
Subject: Printing envelopes with the QMS-PS 410

How do you print standard envelopes with the QMS-PS 410?  I place the
envelope in the tray exactly as instructed by the manual and the icon
on the tray.  I set the print format to landscape.  Print.  A blank
envelope comes out.  The problem is that when printing in landscape
mode the left side of the page (when facing the paper tray) is
considered to be the "top", while the instructions say to put the
envelope on the right side of the tray (putting it on the other side
causes a jam).  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John DeSoi
desoi@cs.tamu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 22:33 EST
From: "Peter D.M. Macdonald" <PDMMAC%SSCvax.CIS.McMaster.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shutdown from Hypercard?

I am attempting to write a finder 'replacement' for a hard disk with Hypercard.
I have no trouble starting up with Hypercard, but how do I shutdown without
accessing the Finder? Simply removing Finder disables the hard disk from
starting up. Thanx.

                Doug Macdonald

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 08:35:17 PDT
From: DORY%ORFE.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Suggestion for improved Subject lines on BB postings

I'd suggest that you offer guidelines to those who post messages to the BB.
In particular, it would be very helpful if the one-line subject follows these
suggestions:

First:  Make sure a few key words indicate the subject.  In a fair number of
        postings, this essential ingredient is missing!

Second: Indicate the nature of the posting by beginning it with something
        like:  Query:    or  Response(to query):   -- subject
        or     Request:  or  Response(to request): -- subject
        or     FYI:  (For your information, meaning an unsolicited observation)
        or     Hint(Excel): -- subject     or  Tip(Word 4.0): -- subject
        etc.

If these hints were standardized, then skimming for interest would be more
efficient, and automated searches would be possible on at least some systems.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 14:13:02 MDT
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Up Your FCBs (Where is it?)

I have been getting a lot of "Too many open files" errors in my AppleShare
network, usually with HyperCard running. This began after installing
Suitcase and having it connect to 4 suitcases on the file server. According
to the experts at Apple, the problem is the number of file control blocks
on the server is insufficient due to the fact that Suitcase is opening so
many files. One of the possible fixes was to use an INIT called Up Your
FCBs, but I have not been able to find such an animal anywhere. Does anyone
know where it might be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob
bbolt@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 09:02 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Using Macs to present Psychological test stimuli

Paul Lyons (9:87) wonders about other people using Macs to present stimuli in
psychological experiments.

We are doing that quite a bit here at Colgate University. You might want to
look up "A Pascal function for presenting MacPaint files on the Macintosh" in
Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 1989, 21(3), 415-419 by
Peter Jorgensen, Thomas J. Tucker, and James H. Reynolds.

I don't know about any recently published stuff, but there will be soon.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 11:08:12 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Voyager Art

>Ok.  What application created/can read this thing?  I've never  seen a
>type `SCRN' with creator `NONE'.

It's a StartupScreen. You an reboot with it in your system folder, if you
want to see it, or you can view it with SuperPaint (save it in other
formats, too).

>As an  aside  to all  submitters,  if you  submit a file,  include the
>little   readme as  part   of   the   stuffit or compactor    archive.
>Occaisionally, I'll download something, but  will have lost the digest
>message describing it and forget exactly what it will do.

Good point.

                tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 11:38:50 CDT
From: hallett@positron.com (Jeff Hallett x5163	)
Subject: White Knight Updaters

Help Meeeee!

Is there anyway to update an original White  Knight 11.01 to the newer
versions (other than sending Watson a check)?

Thanks

Jeffrey Hallett, GEMS PET Engineering (414/548-5163)

End of Info-Mac Digest