info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 27 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 93

Today's Topics:

      Adobe Type Reunion & PopCha
      A question about MCI Mail.
      atalk imagewriter screen dump
      Background Printing with the StyleWriter?
      Cherokee Font supplied
      Communications Toolbox?
      connecting HP LaserJet
      Converting fonts/legalities
      Data & Fax modems for the Mac Portable
      Epson MX82-Grappler combination
      Font conversion
      FTP/TinCan/Stuffit Problems
      Gradebooks
      Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)
      How to Talk to Archie
      LCD Display for desktop Mac?
      LC sound problems
      LocalTalk -> Ethernet question
      Looking for Apollo Images
      Mac Plus Upgrade
      Mac programming - Link failed
      Mail order for Quantum 105 drive
      Presenting Psychology Stimuli on the Mac; MacPsych Mailing list
      Sam Virus Update
      SCSI drives and IINTX
      Serial Card
      StyleWriter & rotated text
      System hangs at times for SE/30
      Using Mac on a sailboat

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: 22 Apr 91 08:41:26 U
From: "Glenn Fleishman" <Glenn_Fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: Adobe Type Reunion & PopCha

                       Subject:                               Time:8:37 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Adobe Type Reunion & PopChar           Date:4/22/91
I don't believe this has been posted before, but it bears repeating if it
was. I tried to e-mail the author of PopChar but the mail bounced back.

Adobe Type Reunion & PopChar versions 1.4 & 1.5 do not co-exist. PopChar
wil work; ATR will stop working & nothing you do will make it work.

PopChar 1.3, however, works perfectly with ATR. If you've installed a
later version of PopChar, remove it & also remove ATR and Type Reunion
Data from your system folder. Put a fresh copy of ATR in & PopChar 1.3
if you have it & re-boot. All of your submenus for type will be
restored. I have version 1.3 & would gladly re-send it to the archives
to be posted until the author was able to determine what was causing
the conflict if he is not already working on it.

Glenn Fleishman, Yale U. Printing Service
fleglei@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu or @yalevm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 16:17:29 -0500
From: Douglas Renze <drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: A question about MCI Mail.

I'm looking for information about MCI Mail.  What are the rates?  How do I
subscribe?  Anything else that y'all think a possible subscriber should know?
	If you could mail to me personally or point me to a source, I'd be
really grateful.
	If there's enough interest, I'll summarize and post to the net.

------------------------------

Date: 19 APR 91 12:40 -00
From: KIM CARY                      <KCARY@peppcdrm.pepperdine.edu>
Subject: atalk imagewriter screen dump

Our student advisement system is going ON-LINE (as opposed to on
paper) September 1.  It would be great for our faculty/advisors with
macs to be able to print a screen dump of the degree audit as it
appears on the kermit screen (or maybe telnet ;-).  Currently they are
all linked to a laserwriter, via a star controller, on phonenet cables.
Shift-Cmmd-4 produces inconsistent results, when the Appletalk
Imagewriter is chosen in my chooser (e.g., window, then screen print;
or screen print degenerates to bleeblsnarf 7/8ths of the way through).
Of course, Apple provides no way to print screen to LW (how reliable
_is_ that fkey for dumping to LW?  Anyone with extensive experience?).
Is there a good way to get screen dumps?  We also have a networkable
DeskWriter; would that work?  Thanks for reading this; I'll let every-
one who responds know what we do in the end (or, post to the digest
if many respond).  kcary@peppcdrm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1991 12:15 EST
From: Fritz Morgan <FMORGAN@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: Background Printing with the StyleWriter?

Does anyone know of a way to background print with the StyleWriter?  I have
tried the print spool Program from Sumex, but can get it to work.  If anyone
knows of a program that will work I would love to here about it.

Fritz Morgan

Internet: Fmorgan@vax.clarku.edu
Bitnet: Fmorgan@clarku.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 09:52:40 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Cherokee Font supplied

I am the author of a Cherokee font. Will the user at the Naval Weapons
Site please get in touch with me directly about it.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 13:02 EDT
From: ADMSK904@ksuvxa.kent.edu
Subject: Communications Toolbox?

What is the Communications Toolbox? What Does it do and where can I get it?
Why do I need it for the Hermes BBS? If anyone knows it would be appreciated
if you could tell me.

Thanks
Pete
ADMSK904@ksuvxa.kent.edu

[The Communications Toolbox is an INIT sort of thing from Apple to manage
additional serial ports. It actually does a lot more than that though.
I have been using it for six months or more with VersaTerm PRO and a
Telnet connection.  I also have a modem card that uses the C port which was
a logical choice since the a port is the modem and the b port is the
printer. With the CT I am able to use ports a, b & c simultaneously.  I
suspect that it will be a part of System 7, but I don't know.  Yet.  The CT
allows you to write Tools which do the communications.  Any program can
use the tools without knowing what they really do.  It is good stuff! -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 14:45 CDT
From: LAMB4784@iscsvax.uni.edu
Subject: connecting HP LaserJet

I am the Mac field support person here at the University of Northern Iowa.
Recently, I have been trying to get an ancient HP LaserJet  (model 2686A+
option 300) connected to a MacPlus.  I am using a print driver made with Laserstart
v2.5 (Softstyle) with a 1985 copyright.  Basically I want to be able to access
the cartridge fonts on the HP cartridge (92286F TMS Proportional).  So far, all
I can get are jaggy bit-maps to print.

Having read the article Printing From Mac To LaserJet (MacUser, May 1991, p.
120), I made the following reccommendation:  Go with Insights MacPrint.  My
reasons are:  1) Its fast and seems to do what I want. 2) I found it at the
nearly ridiculous price of $31 from MacFriends after calling several mail order
joints.

My questions are:  Did I do the right thing here?  Does anyone out there have
experience with MacPrint?  Does it come with a print driver to replace my 85
model in the chooser?  Is there something better or cheaper that I should know
about?

Please reply to me directly and Ill post a summary.

Tanks bunches in advance!!

Go Cubs!!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 23:55:36 EST
From: Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.fidonet.org (Adam Frix)
Subject: Converting fonts/legalities

Mark Nutter <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu> writes in Info-Mac Digest V9 #90 17 Apr 91:

> At the risk of opening a can of worms, I'd like to pose a
> question about the legal/ethical issues involved in
> converting Type 1 PostScript fonts to TrueType.
> Specifically, if I go out and buy a bunch of commercial
> fonts from Adobe or some other vendor, are there any
> legal/ethical restrictions to prevent me from copying them
> all into TrueType format?

It seems to me that most license agreements I've seen mention that the licensee
can alter the program or whatever for his own use, but cannot distribute said
altered version (at least without express permission of the licensor).
Translating a proprietary and copyrighted font is the same thing as diassembling
it and altering it for your own use; so, I would say that distributing it
without permission _probably_ violates the licensing agreements.

I'm not going to go into the technical legalities concerning the validity of
license agreements here, though.

--Adam Frix--
--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.18!Adam.Frix

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 21:30:08 EDT
From: dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Data & Fax modems for the Mac Portable

We have recently purchased a Mac Portable for our office and want to buy an
internal modem so we can call in to the office and get mail.  It would also be
nice (but is not necessary) that we can send faxes from the Portable.  Two
questions then for the community:

1 - What are people's experiences with Mac Portable modems?

2 - The various rags (MacUser, MacWeek, MacWorld) have all recently done
    reviews of modems for the Portable, but I don't know the issue numbers
    offhand.  Anyone have that information?

Please respond directly to me at dg@mitre.org.  Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 14:37 MET
From: BPVZELLE%rulgl.LeidenUniv.nl@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject: Epson MX82-Grappler combination

Dear Folks,
I tried to connect my Mac to an Epson MX82 9pins printer via a Grappler
interface. It did not work properly, as the printer prints additional
characters and line feeds. Is there anyone around with an Epson MX82
who managed to get it working on a Mac? If so, what was the solution to
get it working?
Bauke Zelle
IN%"BPVZELLE@rulgl.LeidenUniv.nl"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 15:27:14 EDT
From: kenh@eclectic.com (Ken Hancock)
Subject: Font conversion

In Volume 9 : Issue 90, Mark Nutter <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu> writes:
>Subject: Font conversion legalities?
>
>At the risk of opening a can of worms, I'd like to pose a question about the
>legal/ethical issues involved in converting Type 1 PostScript fonts to
>TrueType.  Specifically, if I go out and buy a bunch of commercial fonts from
>Adobe or some other vendor, are there any legal/ethical restrictions to prevent
>me from copying them all into TrueType format?

My guess, if you read the licensing agreement, there is a clause about
decompiling the fonts, which is, essentially, what any of the font
conversion programs do.  Legally, the answer is probably no.
However, if they're for your own personal use, I see no ethical reason
why you can't convert them and use a TrueType version as opposed to
a Type 1 version.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 09:59:31 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: FTP/TinCan/Stuffit Problems

I FTPed a file from SUMES-AIM.STANFORD.EDU in text format.  I used TinCan
4.01 to Text Down the file to my Mac IIsi.  I used Stuffit 1.5.1 to
Decode Binhex file having the Include LFs option checked on.  This new file
was called name STARTUP.  I did an open archieve on this 'name STARTUP'
and did an extract.  The extract placed the 'name STARTUP' into my folder.
When I try and open this file it has the following message:

     'The file 'name STARTUP' could not be opened/printed (the application
      is busy or missing)'.

How did I miss creating the application?  I followed the same procedure with
another ftp file and when I did the Decode Binhex it created an application
and a Startup file.  After extracting both, this one worked when I opened the
startup file.  How do I get help for Stuffit?  I'm lost as can be! ! !

Bitnet:    FEATS@VTVM1
Internet:  feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 12:52:26 EST
From: Don Webb <UOG02036@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Gradebooks

Re: Infomac 9:88 (Mon 15 Apr 91) Ashley Hill's query about grading
programs

I share your interest!  I've been using Excel 2.2 spreadsheets, but
I'm open to other methods.  I'll briefly describe my approach for those
who also use Excel.

Two main advantages:

(1) Thoroughness: three basic files per class ("calendars," for
attendance and labs; "quiz," for each exam; "global," to put them all
together).

(2) Accuracy: you can compute just about anything you want.  For
example, we use plus and minus grades that are weighted in the
students' official grade-point averages; I've programmed to do that,
although I've discovered there's a minor subtlety involved.  As for
grading curves, I've developed a (rather complex) formula that will
adjust the class average to whatever you want without pushing the
top grades over 100 or depressing the lowest grades unduly.  And
with iterations, you can even answer the perennial question "What do
I need on the final to get an A?"

Disadvantages:

(1) I have macros to build 3- and 4-day calendars in the style of the
traditional gradebook, but using the calendars requires a lot of
scrolling.  A more concise format records dates of absence only.
However, you lose other information that way.

(2) The files gobble disk space.   Since I don't have Disk Doubler, I
semi-archive "dormant" files by the massive use of paste-value,
leaving the formula active in only the first cell of rows and columns.
It is, of course, imperative to compress files once the semester is over.

You can achieve similar results with MsWorks or other spreadsheets,
of course, but Excel's esthetics are hard to beat.

Don Webb
(also DonWebb@CSUS.Edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 08:39:00 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)

FTPing from WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU, I have downloaded some graphics images
onto VM.  When I xedit the text data the first 6 characters of the first
record has the following:

                   GIF87a

There is no '(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)' record at the
top of the file and the record lenghts are quite large (1019 to 2949).
When I try and load these down to my MAC IIsi using TinCan 4.01 I get an
error from the PCTRANS MODULE on VM about a read error.  If I use KERMIT
I can download but once the file is on my MAC I can do nothing with it!

I figured I needed some type of program, either on the mainframe or the
MAC, to convert the file to some other format.  In searching in
WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU, I came across a GIFConverter.2.2d6.hqx file that I
FTPed and downloaded to my MAC.  When I would try and use this thing it
kept putting files into my system folder which concerned me!  Being a
beginner and reading about all the viruses, I decided to ask around before
really causing problems.  If this GIFConverter is really what I need, how
is it used to manipulate these GIF87a graphics files?  What does it move
itself to the system folder?

Bitnet:    FEATS@VTVM1  or  Internet:  feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

[Without a doubt the missing clue you lack is that GIF (Graphics Interchange
Format) files are BINARY.  If you FTP them as ASCII (the default) you
will get garbage.  Giffer, GIF Converter (which is probably trying to
store its preferences file in your System Folder), and others can read
GIFs which have been transfered correctly.  Be sure to Kermit them in
Binary too!  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 13:21:15 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: How to Talk to Archie

FTP-able resources on the net.  There is special software which helps
you to search this directory.  Therefore, you DO NOT ftp to archie.
Instead:

1) telnet to quiche.cs.mcgill.ca

2) login as archie

3) type help

and the rest will be made clear to you...

-- Joshua Yeidel (Hey, I'm only telling you what they told me... yattayatta...)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 16:51:40 PDT
From: Mark Standring <MPRINT@uvvm.uvic.ca>
Subject: LCD Display for desktop Mac?

I am interested in finding information on non-CRT displays for
desktop Macintosh computers.  I am looking for a stand-alone gas plasma
or LCD monitor which would take the place of a normal 12 or 13 inch
Apple CRT display.

A search of the Redgate buyers guide on AppleLink did not turn up
anything, other than LCD projection units.

Has anyone come across such an item?  Any pointers would be helpful.

thanks,
Mark Standring (MPRINT@UVVM.UVic.CA)
University of Victoria Microcomputer Systems Group

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 18:35:53 +0100
From: Phil J Barrett <barretpj@uhura.aston.ac.uk>
Subject: LC sound problems

I've been experiencing an annoying series of problems with my LC's sound when
playing the (otherwise excellent) game 'Sky Shadow'.

Initially, everything was fine. Then one of the sounds wouldn't stop playing,
and continued throughout the rest of the game, underneath any other sounds.
Reinstalling a new copy from the master disks cured this, but now a further and
more worrying fault has developed:

All sounds are now interrupted, at short and varying intervals. Thus they play
at the correct pitch, but are lengthened and distorted considerably.
Even reinstalling the game and the system (6.0.7) and removing all inits has
not cured it.

It sounds (sorry!) like a hardware fault to me--any ideas? (Direct replies
would be appreciated; if the problem is solved I'll explain it for the net)

Phil Barrett, Aston University, UK

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 09:41 EST
From: FUSONV@max.cc.denison.edu
Subject: LocalTalk -> Ethernet question

Should this work?  My goal is to access our VAX from my Mac using NCSA Telnet
(or other TCP/IP software).  The path I would like to take:
	my mac	-> LocalTalk
		-> Novell NL1000 card in PC file server for Novell network
		-> local Novell network
		-> PC running PCroute (an IP routing program)
		-> campus ethernet backbone
		-> VAX
I have tried this but can never get a connection.  Is the NL1000 not truly
a LocalTalk to ethernet bridge?

Vanessa Fuson				Internet: fusonv@max.cc.denison.edu
Denison University Computer Center	Bitnet:   fusonv@denison

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1991 04:00 PST
From: MOOREHOUSE@cisco.nosc.mil
Subject: Looking for Apollo Images

Dear Sirs:
   I am writing a Macintosh-based program to convert Apollo GPR
bitmap files to Macintosh PICT files.  I have a couple of sample
GPR files but I need alot more to perform any kind of decent testing.
   Does anyone out there know where I can get sample GPR files?

-Mike Morehouse, FGM Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 11:28:34 PDT
From: 6500erik%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Erik Adams)
Subject: Mac Plus Upgrade

I readlize your article was published a few days ago, but I
felt I should throw in my 2 cents worth.

For the memory, no problem.  It should be more or less the
same as an SE.

For the Superdrive, you will have trouble.  In order for any Mac
to properly use a superdrive, it must have a special chip
replaced on the motherboard.  The old chip, in all vanilla,
fat, enhanced, plus, and earlier SE's is called the WIM, the
new one is called the SWIM (I don't know what all the letters
stand for, but the W stands for "Woz", for Steve Wozniak, who
designed the essential parts of the chip when he and Jobs
designed the Apple II, which used more or less the same chip).
SE's and other macs can be upgraded to include the SWIM,
but Pluses down cannot.

There are some componies that make superdrives for Pluses
and earlier.  One company makes a drive and adapter combination
that plugs into the drive port and lets your internal read
720k IBM and 800 ProDos disks, and lets any external drive
read and write to the same.  With their external disk drive,
you can read and write and format those, as well as 1.4 meg
and 2.2 meg disks.  These products are from Rapport, and are
VERY expensive.  The whole setup costs $700 or so.  There
is also a company that makes an exteral disk drive that
connects to the SCSI, but I have read that all it lets you
do is read/write and format Mac 1.4 meg disks, and does not
give you the full functionality of the Superdrive.

For the harddrive, forget it.  The Plus was not made to have
an internal harddisk.  The power supply was not made to
handle it, and there are no internal SCSI connectors for it.
Also, there may not be room anyway.  Your only choice with
a harddrive is to get an external one.

Erik

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 09:46 U
From: <GCSNG%NTIVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac programming - Link failed

Hi everybody,
   I have a problem in linking all my programs in the project file using
THINK C ver 3.0 and the error message is

   "Data segment too big"

   The reason of why I got this message is because of the application
consists of many entities and each entity contain many attributes.  Each
entity is allocated average array size of 20.  All these entities cannot
be further eliminated.

   Any suggestions or solutions would be much appreciated.

   Ng Cheng Swee
   Bitnet: GCSNG@NTIVAX

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 13:12:27 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mail order for Quantum 105 drive

I keep finding more interesting software to evaluate, and my 80 Mbyte
internal seems to have "shrunk" :-)  It's time to bite the bullet *ouch*
and purchase a second hard drive.

>From everything I've heard and read, the Quantum 105 mechanism will fill
the bill admirably.  The question is, from whom?

MacConnection, who I've dealt with before, sells the PLI 105 for $779.
The MacZone in Redmond, WA lists the Datacell at only $589 (right below
the Everex 105 at $805).
MacProducts USA in Austin, TX lists the Elite 105 for $589 (but the 80
for $639?? is there a typo?).  They also offer the Magic 105 low profile
for $629.

Two obvious questions.  Is there a logic behind the price differences
(does Quantum make more than one 105 MB mechanism, for instance)?  Does
anyone have any experience (opinions) about the brands and vendors.

I've not ordered a drive before; I assume they come formatted and with
cable (some offer software with the drive; generally I'm not willing to
part with much cash for those -- I'm already a registered owner of Norton
Utilities and MacTools).  I'm looking for "plug and play."

Anyone have any recommendations (positive experiences?)?  I'm willing to
spend a reasonable amount for peace of mind, but I have no desire to pay
$800 if $600 is sufficient.  My experience is that drive speed also is
worth a few extra dollars (the ms's add up over a lifetime of drive use,
and I do some I/O intensive work).

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 12:53:18 EDT
From: michael@psych.toronto.edu

To the individual who asked about presenting psychological stimuli on the
Mac (and any other interested parties):

I would highly recommend you looking into the PsychLab package.  It is a
general purpose stimuli presentation and data collection package produced
by Teren Gum and Daniel Bub at the Montreal Neurological Institute.  IT
can present words, sentences, pictures, or tones, with variable stimulus
duration and interstimulus interval.  Responses can be taken from the
keyboard or mouse, with reaction times to the nearest millisecond.

It is an extremely flexible package, and we in our lab have been quite
pleased with it.  To reach the authors:

Teren Gum
Dept. of Neurolinguistics
Montreal Neurological Institute
3801 University St.
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA  H3A 2B4
(514) 284-4741

Also of interest to Mac fans in psychology is the MacPsych mailing list
>From St. Olaf.  Submissions can be sent to macpsych@stolaf.edu.  To
the uses of Macintoshes in the various fields of psychology.

- michael

------------------------------

Date: 19 Apr 91 15:24:26 GMT
From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: Sam Virus Update

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>>I just received a note from Symantec saying that there is a new virus around
>>which will infect HyperCard stacks called the HC virus.  The note also says
>>that they are unable to supply me with the anti virus code for this virus
>>because it is too complex.

>Drew -- I'm a little hazy about exactly where this virus grafts itself into a
>stack, but I'm under the impression that it attacks an area that SAM simply
>is not coded to check or deal with, so its a basic lack of functionality.

This HC virus lives in the DATA fork and until now the data fork of files
was thought to be immune (or at least no one have found a data virus before).

I know that the other virus protection software developers have to do a
similar radical change to check for this kind of virus.

In fact, Disinfectant and one other shareware anti-virus program choose NOT
to upgrade to fight this virus because the Hypercard commands responsible for
this virus can be EASILY changed to make it difficult/impossible to check for
every variant of this virus.

The answer is:  The developers of SAM are not trying to rip you off and as
a user of SAM I am sending in for my upgrade now!

Note:  I have no connection with Symantec except as a happy customer.

hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1991 00:46:32 GMT
From: News <news@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: SCSI drives and IINTX

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>SCSI drives and IINTX

>> Regarding David Mills' question about connecting a 20 Meg
>> SCSI drive to the NTX, I seem to recall that Apple rigged
>> it so that you MUST use an Apple 80 Meg SCSI drive. Try to
>> get your hands on one and check it out, or verify this
>> directly with Apple.

>I don't think this is the case, since I know some friends of mine have used a
>DataFrame 20 meg drive on their IINTX. Actually, I'm not absolutely positive
>that it's a DataFrame 20, but I do know that they don't own **any** Apple
>drives other than one 20 meg drive  that's internal to an SE. However, short of
>this experience, I don't know much else about the subject.

>-Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

I have personally connected other brand names of drives to IINTX's.  It makes
no difference what kind you use, or what size.  As long as it is SCSI.
You then format it and load it up with fonts with the font utility program.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1991 20:54 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Serial Card

Does anybody know of a card (that can be plugged in a nuBus slot or in an SE
slot, or '030 Direct) that allows more than 2 serial connections (possibly 4)?

Please reply directly to me, and I'll summarize if you want me to.

Thanks a lot,
- Alberto Ricci, FRICCI@POLCLU.TO.CNR.IT.

[Digiboard (612) 943-9020 makes an 8 or 4 port serial board.  Just read
about it in MacLeak (4.23.91 p12). They want $995 or $1295. -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 09:52 MET
From: KRAALINGEN%CABO.AGRO.nl@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject: StyleWriter & rotated text

Dear Net,

I am about to purchase a StyleWriter. From some preliminary test I
noticed that rotated text is printed with the resolution of the screen
instead of with TrueType/360dpi resolution. What am I doing wrong, or is
this a common problem ? If so, will it be solved in future StyleWriter
drivers ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Daniel van Kraalingen, kraalingen@cabo.agro.nl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1991 08:37:09 PDT
From: Joseph_Yang.ES_AE@xerox.com
Subject: System hangs at times for SE/30

At times, when I boot my SE/30, my cursor gets locked, and I always have to
reboot it.  What is the cause of this?  Could it be an INIT, a virus, or what?
Any comments is appreciated.

--joe

------------------------------

Date: FRI, 19 Apr 91 14:17:51 EDT
From: "Serge Daigle" <ORUPSYCH%UQAT.UQuebec.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Using Mac on a sailboat

This is a special request:

A prof here want to sail around the world and can not live without his mac.

So the question is:  What is the best way to install a Mac SE 30 with
a good security, price and compactness.

We know about 2 ways
1.  a generating machine (portable Honda or kawasaki)
      We were not advise to connect a mac directly with it?

2.  an inverter for computer
      We did not know much about it ?

3.  tell the prof to buy a mac portable
      He did not want to hear that... He is in love with his old SE 30

Please answer directly to me, I will summarize to the net.
We need to figure a solution for the next month
Thanks for your help

Serge  Daigle
departement de psychologie
Universite du Quebec en Abitibi-Temiscamingue
ORUPSYCH@UQUEBEC.BITNET

[Check out the Bernoulli removable drives.  The Seattle Fire Dept.
swears by them on their fire boats.  Get rid of any Winchester
drives, as they would be torqued to death on a boat.  Don't forget the
internal hard drive.  Lose it.  Also, when, er I mean, if the boat sinks
you won't have to salvage the Mac to get your data back. ;^) -- Jon]

End of Info-Mac Digest