info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 27 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 94

Today's Topics:

      Archie
      ATARI EMULATION OF THE MAC PLUS
      AUDIO ROUTINES
      Classic and Modem Problem
      Fractal software wanted.
      Help on E-Mail Retrieval of Info-Mac Archive
      Help with SendPS and lwsrv
      HP LASERJET IIP
      Hypercard Virus
      icl8 and System 7.0
      lookin' for an da like SETSOUND but for screen colors
      Mac Classic RAM options
      Mac implementations of uucp
      Multi-platform Flexible Benefits Software
      PICT/PICT2/TIFF file format?
      Portable vs. Laptop
      Problems with MacX
      request: NetHack
      System 7.0 and IIfx
      Terminal 2.1 ?
      TokenRing/NetWare/Mac II's
      TrueType Observations
      Versacad 2.1.1 template (and the lack thereof)

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 10:54:35 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Archie

>FROM
>
>I know this was mentioned earlier this year, but could someone tell me how
>to connect to the Archie archives?  I can't remember or seem to find the
>address.  There was also some mention about NOT ftp'ing to this site.  If
>anyone would be kind enough to reply, I'd appreciate it.

Brandon,
   Type the following:

telnet quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
       -or-
telnet 132.206.2.3

   Login as 'archie'. Follow the instructions...

                tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: 22 APR 91 22:03:13 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ATARI EMULATION OF THE MAC PLUS

Francois Bonnafy <francois@LOIRE.EDRC.CMU.EDU> requests information
on the Atari ST's ability to emulate a Macintosh.
~   Using 128K Mac ROMs, the Spectre GCR Macintosh Plus emulator
does a rather decent job.  Simple to use, it plugs into the Atari ST's
cartridge port and and does just about everything that the Mac Plus
does.  The ST is a slightly faster box than the Plus so runs Mac software
about 10% faster than a stock Plus.
~   The emulator reads and writes standard Mac 400K MFS disks and Mac
800K HFS disks.  1.44 meg floppy support is not supported yet.
~   Other niceties include sound support but the 6.0.7 SoundManager is
not supported.  However, SoundMaster works--it's just that the user
won't get "game" sounds with 6.0.7.  Consequently, most Atari users
run their emulator with 6.0.5.
~   Printer support is currently limited to IBMish Centronics Parallel
printing with some PostScript support which I'm not sure of since I
don't have a PostScript printer.  However, Orange Micro printer drivers
and so forth work perfectly.  ATM and TrueType works perfectly.  Atari
users have been saving files as PostScript files and going to the Atari
side, printing with the popular PostScript Atari emulators.
~   Hard Drive support is quite transparent with a single mechanism able
to be split into Mac format and MS DOS/Atari ST format.  While on the ST
side, the Atari cannot see the Mac partitions and while on the Mac side,
the "Mac" cannot see the Atari ST partitions.
~   Hard partitions are ironically easier to create than they are on the
real Mac.  For example, SilverLining is not required.
~   SyQuest Mac cartridges are perfectly happy with the emulator.
~   Commerical programs work perfectly.  By commerical, I mean PageMaker,
HyperCard 2.0, FullWrite, Excel, Microphone II, etc.
~   Games are another beast, though.  If there is a slight degree of
copy protection, then the Spectre will choke since it doesn't contain
Mac hardware, other than the 128k ROM chips.
~   Monitor expansion is quite good and getting better.  Two paged
monitors are popular and interestingly, portrait monitors have been
slow in arriving.  Monitor speed with the Spectre is quick and screen
refresh is very fast and faster than a real Mac Plus.  Standard screen
resolution is 640 * 400.  The Atari ST accepts standard multisync
monitors, so monitors such as the paperwhite NEC GS2A works perfectly.
~   Color support does not exist as far as color Macs are concerned.  No
256K ROM chip use is planned.
~   As with an other emulator, the Spectre GCR on the Atari ST is not
meant to replace the Mac Plus, but is meant to be an extension to the
ST.  Atari 1040STe's can be had for $350.00, emulator with ROMs for
about $400.00.  Therefore, it can be seen that the price is already
approaching that of a Classic, especially if the cost of a monitor is
thrown in.  Hence the statement that the emulator is meant to merely
provide an extension to the Atari ST.
~   So, I guess in summary:  color Mac support is not there, copy protected
games do not work.  That's it.  PostScript support is weak, but ATM/TrueType
works perfectly.  There are no other real negatives.
~   Hope this helps.

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET> | ATARI ST USERS OF EAST TEXAS

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 07:15:15 SST
From: ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: AUDIO ROUTINES

Hello from Singapore again.
Many months I posted my excitement concerning Ed Bogas' Super Studio
Session technology. This is sort of a repost with new stuff.
Games such as Tetris, Faces, Weltris, Vette!, and the Carmen series
for the Mac licensed Ed Bogas' technology to provide a low-cost
and easy to create (plus low-memory and low-cpu usage) background
sound system for their games. I tried writing to Ed Bogas but so
far no reply. I think such a wonderful piece of work should be
make generally available to programmers as a programming library.
The other games with their own background music stuff are Mission
Starlight and Sky Shadow from Cassday and Greene, which again do
not license out this technology.
The closest thing is a combination of delving into MIDI and using
Sound Exciter. This is a memory resident program that plays
8 digitized voice MIDI files in the background. I suspect heavy
collaboration from Ed Bogas. But this is not a good solution
because it requires that user purchase the init (about US$45), plus
it has to run under MFinder.
Folks, the MSDOS people are laughing at us right now because their
Sound Blaster cards (and relatively cheap Roland cards) simply
blow away our Mac sound abilities.
All comments on this topic are welcome. Please email to isstth@nusvm
and I will summarize.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 91 20:16 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: Classic and Modem Problem

>Why does my Kyocera KM 1200S Full Duplex Direct modem work fine
>with a 512KE, but not at all with my new Classic?  When I hook up
>the modem to the Classic and turn on the modem, the TM light
>(which is always lit when it's connected to the 512KE) turns on,
>then off in half a second.  No terminal emulation program then
>can work with it on the Classic, so it seems like a hardware
>issue.  Both serial ports on the Classic work perfectly with my
>printer.  Do I need to reset dipswitches on the Kyocera (if so,
>which ones? - I've lost the manual) - or buy another modem?
>Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
>           -Roland Moore (moore@qal.berkeley.edu)

This is probably because the GPi pin (pin 7, the receive/transmit clock input)
is not connected on the Classic's serial ports. This is the same as on a Mac
Plus. I'm not sure why your modem is looking for this, but you may be able to
get it to work with a configuration change on the modem.

Good luck.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 16:11:30 EST
From: John A Romanski <V4080%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Fractal software wanted.

I have a talk to give about fractals next Tuesday and I want some whiz-bang
pictures, programs, demos, anything that has anything to do with fractional
dimensions. I want to impress some of my fellow students, so no bells or
whistles shall be held back.

I know there's something at the sumex info-mac archives but I don't know where
and I am interested in any other archival locations as well.

Thanks,
John Romanski
Temple University

[Check out MandelZot.  It even animates the fractals.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 12:03:25 PDT
From: Byung-Sun Choung <hplabs!sc%cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM@labrea.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help on E-Mail Retrieval of Info-Mac Archive

Is there any way of retrieving files from the Info-Mac archive thorugh
e-mail? I do not have direct Internet access so I CAN NOT do FTP. I would
appriciate you help. Thank you.

Sunny Choung

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 18:23:00 EDT
From: rocket!cory@uunet.uu.net (Cory Myers)
Subject: Help with SendPS and lwsrv

I am trying to get SendPS (version 2.22) to talk to a CAP LaserWriter
server (lwsrv).  The postscript file sends just fine but then prints
out as if I had done an "lpr" of a postscript file.  The problem seems
to be that the file sent by SendPS does not begin with %! and the Unix
printing software assumes that if it gets an input without this prefix
then it should think it is a text file and print it.

I can work around the problem by capturing the postscript file on the
Unix machine after it has been sent by SendPS and editing it to have a
%! prefix.  DOes anyone have a better solution?  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 07:12:16 SST
From: ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: HP LASERJET IIP

Hello from Singapore.
A HP IIP recently came into my possesion. I want to use it with my
Classic and my (God Forbid) MSDOS PC. I am planning to add postscript
to it. What else must I do for the connection? Can both systems
be hooked to the IIP at the same time? Is it auto-switching?
Please email to isstth@nusvm and I will summarize.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 15:24:06 EDT
From: <v4080%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypercard Virus

I have heard that Disinfectant will not be updated for the HC Virus, which was
written up in April 16's MacWeek like this:

The new HyperCard virus, consisting of just a few lines of HyperTalk code, is
the Mac's first musical infection. If a corrupted stack is launched on Nov. 11,
1991, the virus will produce three effects in sequence. First it sends the
message "What are you doing?" across the screen, then it plays "Muss i Denn" a
German song popularized by Elvis in the 1950's. Then it will play "From the
Blue Mountain" another German song.

John A Romanski
Apple Student Representative
Temple University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 09:54:29 -0700
From: kretchma@hac2arpa.hac.com (Scott Kretchmar)
Subject: icl8 and System 7.0

As I understand it System 7 is going to incorporate icl8s (color icons) into
itself eliminating the need for such things as SunDesk or IconColorizer.

I still like to have the color icons I created or collected the past couple
of months to be used.  Does anybody know if SunDesk or IconColorizer still
work under 7.0??? and if not is there an easier way to put the color icon
resources into every program short of hunting through my icon collection and
finding the right (ICN#/icl8) pair, pasting it into the Application and
renumbering the resource so that it mathces the BNDL in ResEdit?
Sounds kind of tedious...........

Reply to:	gecko%spl0@hac2arpa.hac.com

NOT to the Sender ID of this letter please...(it's not my account)

		Thxs..

[The new MacUser claims that you can paste your own icl8 into the GetInfo
box and change the icon that way.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 02:02 EST
From: THE GOAT SLAYER <G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu>
Subject: lookin' for an da like SETSOUND but for screen colors

Hi there....

I was just wondering if there was such a DA, or if anybody would be willing to
write a DA that would let the user change the number of colors displayed on a
MAC LC/2 without going into the control panel.

The DA SETSOUND does this for the speaker volume, making it a much easier task
than to access the control panel each time.

Some programs that I have require the color setting to be set to 16 COLORS, when
the default is 256 COLORS.

If anybody can help, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu

[Check out Switch-a-Roo and DepthGauge.  I use them both! -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 10:36:38 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mac Classic RAM options

I heard that the Mac Classic w/ 1 meg RAM has the RAM soldered on. Does this
limit the maximum of RAM we can put in a classic? Can 4 meg SIMMs be put into a
Classic. Can 4 meg SIMMs be put in a Mac Plus? What is the max amount of RAM
for a classic?
             Thanks, Pete
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 11:10:34 EDT
From: chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us (j chapman flack)
Subject: Mac implementations of uucp

Hi!  I'm looking for uucp and mail (and possibly news, but that's gravy)
implementations for Macintosh.  I understand there's a commercial package
called uAccess ($$$), but also an old Mac port of `uupc' running around,
and perhaps others.

I'm searching on behalf of several Mac-owning friends, who by and large do
not own development software, so binaries would be a plus.  If I could
snail-mail someone a Mac diskette and return envelope, that would be ideal,
since I've yet to master the arcane steps required to transfer a binary to
a Mac (that's not too bad--I know a guy with a Daynafile), then convince the
Mac that it *is* a binary (the tough part) and make it go.  I guess if
someone could explain that procedure easily, emailed binaries would be ok.

...I understand the Mac version of `uupc' included a Macbinary <--> native
Mac file structure converter, which would make such transfers easy once
someone had uupc, but there's a chicken/egg problem at this point.

Any information anyone can offer will be warmly welcomed.  Thanks for
the help!

-Chap Flack      chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us
(313)554-3703/110

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 09:43:38 EST
From: Dean Williams <DJW%UVMADMIN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Multi-platform Flexible Benefits Software

     The University of Vermont is planning to implement a full blown LAN
based Flexible Benefits system in November of this year.  This system
must include:
              1) Cafeteria style benefits (sect. 125>
              2> COBRA administration
              3> Retirement annuity modeling
              4> Flexible spending account administration

and must interface with our mainframe and other systems across campus.
Concurrently, I am evaluating software for Applicant Tracking.

     We are currently in the process of installing Information Associates
Human Resource System (HRS) on our mainframe.  The system does not adequately
address flexible benefits or applicant tracking.  Both of these functions
will be performed on a local area network.

     Information Associates offers a Flex package that runs on a LAN but
it is quite deficient in many ways.  I have looked at several packages
and the range of quality and price varies greatly as does the technology.
Vendor consulting is often a part of the package purchase and I would
recommend it based on my findings so far.  I am interested specifically
in a functionally complete SQL based package with a reasonable price
tag.

We also need to address connectivity to the system from multiple
platforms.  The application should run on Macintosh and DOS/Windows
systems (at the very least), sharing a common database.  Users should
see substantially the same user interface in all environments.  We
very much want to avoid applications that require one specific
operating system, and we strongly prefer a graphical user interface
over a character-based interface.

     Are any other Universities/Colleges running any LAN-based packages for
the forementioned functions?  I would be most interested in any information
or experience anyone has relating to this topic.  I think we will see
more and more use of emerging technologies and software to solve our
needs, save money, and save time!

Thanks for your time.. please respond to the list or directly to me.

Chris Walker  CAW@UVMADMIN

Analyst/Programmer
Administrative Information Systems
University of Vermont
(802) 656-1184

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 12:13 ???
From: Absolut Swedish Quality <JPNILSSON%AMHERST.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: PICT/PICT2/TIFF file format?

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest
Date: 23 Apr 91 12:12:31 GMT

Could anyone describe the PICT, PIC2 or TIFF formats on the MAC.  I am
usually not Mac programmer but we have a FX graphics lab here and I
would like to transfer a digitized image to my computer and there use
it in my program.  To transfer it is no problem I just don't know the
format of the these Mac files.  Which one is best to use?  I want the
data in as raw format as possible, preferably in bitplanes (Many if
possible that represent the grayscales)
Please anwer to JPNILSSON@AMHERST
Thank you,
Jonas Nilsson

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 91 20:15 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: Portable vs. Laptop

>Hello:  Would someone please explain the difference between a laptop and
>a portable?  I always thought they were the same.  Thanks in advance.

According to most in the industry, a portable computer is one which has
essentially all the functionality of a desktop computer, but is packaged in a
self-contained case and is usually battery-powered. Portables usually weigh in
>From 12-20 pounds. The Mac Portable fits quite nicely into this definition.

The term "laptop" is usually applied to a leightweight (7-12 pounds)
battery-powered computer which lacks some of the functionality of a desktop
computer. Functions that are typically eliminated are disk drives (e.g. no
floppy or no HD), expansion slots, networking capability, or processing power.

The terms "transportable" (heavy, AC powered, all in one desktop) and
"notebook" (very small, lightweight but limited power and functionality) round
out the vocabulary of portable computing.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 17:31:20 +0100
From: reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl
Subject: Problems with MacX

QUESTION:
   We are currently trying to install MacX 1.0.1 on a Macintosh and it does not
   quite work:

    Configuration:
      Macintosh IIsi
      Apple Ethernet Card
      System 6.07 with some INIT's (SuitCase, On Cue, Public Folder, Broadcast)
      Communications Toolbox 1.0 installed
      MacTCP 1.0.1a2

    MacTCP was configured so as to make the use of a special MacTCP version of
    Telnet 2.3 possible. When MacX was started it complained that there were no
    connection tools for the selected connection type.
    After some twiddling with the Control Panel settings (we changed the
    MacTCP settings from 'Ethernet' to 'Ethertalk' we got MacX so far to
    acknowledge the existence of the MacTCP Tool in the Communications folder.

    Now we can launch MacX without any problems, but when we try to execute
    a command on a remote machine the command seems to timeout in 10 seconds,
    after which the error message:

        The remote command 'xclock' could not be executed via the
        tool 'MacTCP tool'. Creation of the remote command stream failed.

        The connection came up halfway and then failed.

   Acoording to Apple's documentation this error message is to be explained as:

        Sorry, I ran out of memory due to this request.

    (see page 118 in the 'MacX User's Guide'), so I increased MacX's partition
    to 3000K and checked how many memory it actually used. This appeared to be
    approximately 1500K.

ANSWER:
    That's what I am asking for now. Hints are welcome, too.

Reinder Verlinde

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 16:49:38 -0700
From: John Doug Reynolds <jdr@racer.physics.ucsb.edu>
Subject: request: NetHack

I'm looking for NetHack, and it seems to have been removed from
INFO-MAC/GAME.  Could someone please mail it to me?  Thanks.

Doug Reynolds

Internet:	jdr@sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu	(preferred address)
Bitnet:		jdr@voodoo.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1991 12:49 CDT
From: EWINGRA@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: System 7.0 and IIfx

A Mac IIfx with 16 megabit SIMMs can indeed address 128 megabytes of
main memory.  Such SIMMs exist, but the 16 megabit chips do not.  Instead,
Newer Technologies fashions a large SIMM with 4 banks of 4 megabit chips
to do the same thing, and it works.  They even had an example working at
the last MacWorld in a Mac IIci using Connectix's Optima 32 software, since
System 7 couldn't be shown at the show.  But System 7 would be able to
use all of it, no problem.  Such SIMMs at last check cost about $2000
apiece.

A have a friend who ordered 4 megabit SIMMs for his IIfx from the Chip
merchant and is quite happy with them.  He'll be even happier when
he switches to System 7 full time.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 23:57:26 EDT
From: 93ajm@cc.williams.edu (Andrew Mauer)
Subject: Terminal 2.1 ?

I am looking for the *sources* for a terminal program called Terminal
2.1 (or newer) written by Erny Tontlinger. I was released in December
1990, I believe. Any help would be appreciated. Please E-mail replies
to me or just submit the sources to Info-Mac

Andrew Mauer
93ajm@cc.williams.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 19:51:28 -0400
From: George Conant <geconant@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: TokenRing/NetWare/Mac II's

Mark Cole sent a message inquiring about token ring cards for the Mac.

h-three Systems in Research Triangle Park, NC has such a product, I
believe.  You can reach them at h3info@uunet.uu.net or by phone at
919-549-9868.  I don't have any connection with them but have met them.
They seem like good folks.

George

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 06:57:46 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: TrueType Observations

As far as I can tell, there is no need to use the Installer to
install TrueType.  Dragging the TrueType init into the System folder
and installing the fonts with Font/DA Mover 4.1 seems to be all that
is necessary.  If anybody knows differently, please let us know.

Although only the basic four LaserWriter font families are included
in the original release, it is generally believed that Apple will
provide the full LaserWriter Plus family with the release of
System 7.0.  Apparently, it will be left to others to provide
TrueType versions of standard System fonts such as Chicago.

I thought it strange that there is no italic or bold italic versions
of Helvetica and Courier, but Troy Gaul of Drake University offered
this explanation:

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 13:53 CDT
From: LAMB4784@iscsvax.uni.edu
Subject: Versacad 2.1.1 template (and the lack thereof)

Howdy, folks!

We run Versacad 2.1.1 on our Mac II's in our Industrial Technology Dept.  We
bought Kurta 11 x 8.5" ADB tablets a couple of years ago and have yet to hook
them up (so what's new?).  Being a dilligent Mac stud, I have taken it upon
myself to get the Kurta pads up and running with Versacad.

When I contacted Kurta to see if I could get a Versacad template, they told me
two things; they don't make their own templates anymore, and the company they
farm the templates out to doesn't support Versacad (ugh!!).  They were,
however, quite nice about it and volunteered to send me the new ADB driver
software which allows me to make my own template.

The problem is I have never seen a template for Versacad on the Mac.  I have
an IBM version, but it is of little help.  If someone would be so kind as to
email me here at UNI as to how I can get ahold of a Versacad template, I will
be forever grateful!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon Apr 22 19:12:38 1991
From: Dale Southard <ds4a@dalton.acc.virginia.edu>

To: Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: Info-Mac Digest V9 #92
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.digest

>From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
>Subject: Sam Virus Update
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>>Drew -- I'm a little hazy about exactly where this virus grafts itself into a
>>stack, but I'm under the impression that it attacks an area that SAM simply
>>is not coded to check or deal with, so its a basic lack of functionality.
>
>This HC virus lives in the DATA fork and until now the data fork of files
>was thought to be immune (or at least no one have found a data virus before).

Wasn't the Dukakis HC virus a "data virus"?  It was spread in a manner that
sounds simular to how the "new" HC virus works.  In theory, it should be
fairly easy to detect such viruses -- a modification of the script used to
eliminate the Duke virus should function nicely.  I wouldn't think that it
would be economical to modify the current crop of virus detectors to look for
them -- there are better things to do.  At any rate, I would doubt
that a virus written in HyperTalk could be more that just an annoyance -- it
can, after all, only infect other stacks.  But the virus-producing scum have
suprised us before.

Perhaps the scum are getting ready for the '92 election (maybe even with a
Republican Virus, or is that redundant?  :-)  )

--

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

End of Info-Mac Digest