info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 27 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 95

Today's Topics:

      Bibliographic software
      Changing default font in Microsoft Word 4.0
      Classic memory to 2.5MB
      DOS machine to Mac network printer
      GIF Files
      HC Virus ...
      Help wanted from an Excel expert
      LW II NT problem
      LW II NTX and 20 Meg SCSI
      MacBugs
      macintosh LC
      MAC Utilities/Accessories
      MacX and System 7.0- Read ON!!!!
      net-bunny
      New Wave Of Macintosh Software
      PICS file info?
      Postscript on NEC Silentwriter
      SLIP for Mac
      Solarian under 6.0.7
      System 7.0FC1 questions....
      Teleport fax modem news
      TokenRing/NetWare/Mac II's
      Using Sun (Sony) CD-ROM
      Xapshot
      Zoom modem with sendfax (Query)

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1991 17:43 EDT
From: SRIDAR@petvax.medcor.mcgill.ca
Subject: Bibliographic software

Hello again!

	Thanks to all the people who responded to my query about
bibliographic software to use with Word.  There seem to be two main
contenders in this arena, ProCite and EndNote (and EndNote Plus).
They both come highly recommended, but the EndNotes seem to have the
edge in popularity, with 11 plugs versus 3 for ProCite.  Two of
the three people that mentioned ProCite also used EndNote Plus.
One wasn't sure which one he preferred, while the other had trashed
ProCite in favour of EndNote Plus because of its better integration
with Word.

	EndNote and EndNote Plus are put out by

Niles & Associates
2000 Hearst St.
Berkeley
CA  94709
(415) 655-6666

	ProCite is published by

Personal Bibliographic Software, Inc.
525 Avis Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI.  48108
(313) 996-1580

	ProCite costs $195 U.S. through The Mac Zone.  EndNote 1.3
and EndNote Plus 1.0 are $85 and $145 U.S., respectively, through
MacConnection.  (MacWorld April '91.)

	Peter Szolovits also mentioned a shareware program called
WordRef that uses the Word mail-merge facility.  It was written by

    Mark Nodine
    70 Mountain Avenue
    Riverside, RI  02915-5016

He's not sure whether it's still supported or not.

				Sridar Narayanan
				Sridar@petvax.medcor.McGill.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 12:06 MST
From: <KMH%NAUVAX.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Changing default font in Microsoft Word 4.0

>How does one change the default font in Microsoft Word 4.0?

This is done in "Define Styles" which is found under the "Format" menu.

1.  Select Define Styles.

2.  Choose the "Normal" style by highlighting it. The name should appear
    in box labeled "Style:".

3.  Go up to the main menu and select the font and point size that you
    want to be a default. You will notice the style being described in
    the box below the Style name.

4.  Click on "Set Default". You will be asked it you want to record
    this in the default style sheet. Click ok.

5.  Click OK to exit the Define Styles mode. You're all set.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1991 12:22 CDT
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Classic memory to 2.5MB

I read somewhere that the possible memory configurations on a Classic are 1MB,
2MB, 2.5MB, and 4MB.  Someone at Apple was being quoted.  Does this mean I can
take the two 256K SIMMs I removed from our SE when I upgraded it and stick them
in the Classic 2/40 we got?  Has anyone done this?  Does anyone have
instructions out on how to do this yourself, or should I take the machine to
our Apple dealer?  Please reply directly to BPRODEN@UALR.BITNET.

Brian Roden
University of Arkansas at Little Rock

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1991 08:53 CDT
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: DOS machine to Mac network printer

This is kind of a Mac and Windows question.  What exactly (hardware and
software) do I need to hook up a DOS machine to a LocalTalk network so the
DOS system can use the laser printer without having to power down, flip DIP
switches, then power back up.  I know about the TOPS FlashCard, but what
software would I need with it?  The product literature I have on it is rather
sketchy.  We don't need to share files between the Macs and DOS machine, just
use the printer.

BPRODEN@UALR.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 08:21:27 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: GIF Files

I have been having problems FTPing GIF files to my VM userid, then using
either Tincan or Kermit to download to my MAC.  I issue a binary before I
do the get command under FTP and I set my file type to binary before I do
a download to my MAC.  Once the GIF file is on my MAC I try and use QuickGIF
to view the graphics image but when I double click on the document nothing
happens!

A few people have tried to help, making the following suggestions:

1)  GIF files are binary so when FTPing use TY L 8 before the get.  The
    FTPed file must be modified so the record lengths are 512 bytes.  Use
    program MODATT to modify.
2)  Need to get the GIF data into the data fork of a MAC file somehow.
3)  Edit GIF files and convert Line Feeds to Carraige Returns.

Has anyone seen an FTP command 'TY L 8'?  DOes anyone know where to get
this MODATT program or an equalvalent?  How does one get the GIF data into
the data fork of a MAC file?  Is it necessary to convert the Line Feeds to
Carraige Returns and if so what is the easiest way to accomplish this?

The documentation for QuickGIF states, "QuickGIF will display GIF format
graphics on a Macintosh with Color Quickdraw".  Is Color Quickdraw a part
of 6.0.7 or is it something I have to purchase?  Is there a PDS equalvalent?

Bitnet:    FEATS@VTVM1
Internet:  feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

[You shouldn't need to convert the GIF at all.  You do have to tell
everyone that it is binary though.  This means FTP, the host Kermit, and
the Macintosh Kermit.  I bet you missed the host Kermit.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Apr 91 12:53:49 GMT
From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: HC Virus ...

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

 [ ... deleted stuff ... ]

>Does anybody have heard about this virus ?  [HC Virus]

Yes, it is a virus which does not reside in the Resource Fork (the usual
place that programs reside).

>Does anybody know if a new version of Desinfectant is on the way for
>that virus ?

According to a recent MacWEEK John Norstand (author of Disinfectant) has
no plans to update Disinfectant to take care of this virus.  This is
partially do to the fact that any competant HyperCarder can modify this
virus so that it will not be found by the scanning for a particular string
of characters.

John is not alone, according to the same article, Jeff S. (the author of
Virus Detective, a shareware product) has no plans to update his product
either.

hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 16:32:20 EDT
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Help wanted from an Excel expert

I'm trying to get items out of a tide table using Microsoft Excel.  The
table is a fairly standard lookup table, with a series of times across
the top, a different series of times along the left side, and a value
(it's a multiplier for current speeds, if that makes any difference) found
at the intersection of the two.

Is there any way to use Excel to look up something in a table like this?
I've tried to figure out how a simple LOOKUP could do it, and I don't thik
think, that is, that it can, but I confess to being a little confused at
this stage.

Another problem is that the correct row and column to use are the ones
headed by the time CLOSEST to the desired time, not necessarily the ones
larger or smaller.  So probably I need to look at the time that is one
row (or column) higher than my argument and then also go back one to be
sure that one isn't closer.

This is probably a large order to ask someone to help me through in the
net, so a reference to a good text (I understand there are several) about
Excel for the Mac would be fine (if, of course, it goes into table lookup
exhaustively).

I have to admit I'm awfully tempted to just program the damn thing in
C, but I figure there's an opportunity here to broaden my understanding
of Excel.  Besides, it formats things so prettily....

				-Bill Williams
				-St. Mary's College of Maryland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 15:59:02 GMT
From: G13E%DHBRRZ41.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: LW II NT problem

Hi netters,
we have a problem with our LW NT. The papers made on this printer have
blurred letters. Our dealer exchange nearly all parts (mainbord, ... )
but the letters are still blurred.
Someone saw this effect before?
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
My adresses are : G13E@DHBRRZ41 or gi@informatik.uni-bremen.de

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1991 21:39 EDT
From: SRIDAR@petvax.medcor.mcgill.ca
Subject: LW II NTX and 20 Meg SCSI

Hello out there!

	I recently threw in my two cents worth regarding the connection of a
20 Meg SCSI to a LaserWriter II NTX.  I made the mistake of repeating an old
rumour about the purported necessity of using an Apple 80 Meg SCSI drive.
This is not true!!  (Sorry.)  I was just putting forward a POSSIBLE
explanation.  A more plausible one was sent to me by Hisham Abboud.
He states:

	Third-party SCSI drives do not usually implement the full set
	of SCSI commands as defined by ANSI, they put in just enough
	for it to work with the Mac.  The controller card in the IIntx
	was desgined by Adobe (not Apple), and requires some of these
	SCSI commands that are not implemented.  The reason Apple's SCSI
	works is because it does have the full set of commands.

Sounds good to me.  Hope it helps.

Sridar (Sid) Narayanan

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 00:28:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rudolf Halac <rh32+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: MacBugs

I have installed MacBugs on my system, but the only two commands that I
know are 'g' for go and 'rs' for restart.  Does anybody out the in the
wast world have some other commands I can use.

Thanks,

Rudy

[The only other command you really need is 'es' for ExitToShell. Anything
more would involve learning.  ;^) -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 16:23:51 EDT
From: Paul Aucoin <P22%CORNELLC.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: macintosh LC

Our admistrative manager is interested in the pros and cons of the new
Macintosh LC.  Anyone with experience or review info please mail me direct.
Thanks,
Paul Aucoin
Cornell University
p22@CORNELLC.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 09:53:38 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: MAC Utilities/Accessories

I have a week old MAC IIsi and was wondering if someone could recommend
a good set of utilities and/or accessories that are most useful in creating
a safe productive environment?  I just FTPed disinfectant-24 from
WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU and was wondering about other tools are would be useful,
especially in a programmming environment.

I need an editor on my MAC!  I'm getting WORD 4.0 from our bookstore at a
great price ($85) but it is on backorder.  Is there a PDS editor anywhere
that would make reading help documents and writing notes available to me
until my WORD 4.0 comes in?

Stephen L. Greenfield
Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Blacksburg, Virginia

Date: 24 Apr 91 18:14:12 GMT
From: jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue)
Subject: MacX and System 7.0- Read ON!!!!

For those of you who are testing System 7:

I got MacTCP in the proper place (System Folder), and it is version 1.0.2.  All
MacTCP Packages work fine.

However, MacX crashed with system error 15 or freezes the machine.  I tried
placing the TCPTool in the extensions folder, or in a communications folder
within the System Folder, but neither helped.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Jason D. Blue

------------------------------

Date: 24 Apr 91 16:27:16 U
From: tevans <tevans@micmac.arpa>
Subject: net-bunny

A while back, somebody promised to download a cdev called "NET-BUNNY".   This
is where the energizer rabbit randomly appears and walks across your screen.  I
have never seen it in the archives yet.  Was it rejected from the archives or
some other reason.  I would like to use it and so would others.  If it is on
another archive please let me know a net address.
thanx
Troy                                    Tevans@redstone-emh2.army.mil

[NetBunny was squashed by Eveready lawyers. -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 91 12:03:22 GMT
From: steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell)
Subject: New Wave Of Macintosh Software

	Well, I'll be darn. I thought out of my 7 years with macintoshes'
I'd never see the day when a piece of software would actually please me.
SOLARIUM was that software. Perfect animation, excellent detail,
and for the first time, an excuse for the reason why we have a 8.24GC and
Sony Trinitron (apple's) monitor hooked up to our FX.

I actually enjoyed using that software. I wish other people like Ben, would
use a similar interface with there programs. The resolution is there, the
power is avail, and hell it looks good too. We must break away from apples
hiddious B&W an software must go independent from the finder.

The mac is just waiting to blow people off their feet with its awsome power
excellent resolution and absolute ease of use. I can really get to like this
SOLARIUM like interface with ANY program.

The guy who wrote is on the right track something bad. His taste for a
visually attractive game is absolutley excellent. I'd like to see a software
"money Making, slave driver, push it out by tomorrow" company come even close
this shareWare effort.

Well Done. I certainly look forward to ANY program you write sir.
(and that sort of gear is well and truely worth PAYING for)

steve h

[It is Solarian, not Solarium, but I'm sure Ben doesn't care as long as you
send in your Shareware payment.  Check out Ben Haller's After Dark 2.0 modules
Rose and Satori also.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 13:44:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Kenneth E. Mohnkern" <km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: PICS file info?

I need to find specs on PICS files. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ken

ken mohnkern # the graphics deli # the robotics institute # pittsburgh pa

------------------------------

Date: 26 Apr 91 12:13 +0200
From: "Prof. H. Schlichter" <schlicht@informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>
Subject: Postscript on NEC Silentwriter

I received several messages of people who have the same problem.
Therefore, I send the solution to the problem. I tried it out and it
works on the NEC. Thanks to all people who responded. This is the answer I
got from Gregg Kasten, Stanford.

Try using ctrl-f instead of ctrl-k. This will NOT put a laserprep file
at the beginning of your file. Also, ftp to the sumex.stanford.edu
archives and get, from the unix directory (I'm assuming you're using a
UNIX workstation) the macps file. This contains an application that
will append a laserprep file to your ps file before sending it to your
DEC.

The macps is a bit vague; You actually have to prepare a blank
document on your Mac and ctrl-k it so that you get a laserprep file
all by itself. Then you have to run it through a macps module one
time. This way, the DEC has a copy of the laserprep file. The initial
setup of macps on your DEC will take maybe an hour, but after that,
you should be able to ctrl-f files on your mac, upload them to your
DEC, and do "macps psfilename | lpr" to send them to your ps printer.
/Hans

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 06:07:51 PDT
From: 9531sons%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini)
Subject: SLIP for Mac

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>  Does anyone know of a SLIP implementation for the Mac?  I'd like, for
>  instance, to dial in to a Unix host at work and ftp files to my Mac
>  at home.

>  Thanks, Don.

Don - If you get any respones (positive ones) to your posting, please
forward a copy to me.

				Thanks,
					Jamie Sonsini
					UC Santa Barbara
					9531sons@ucsbvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 14:12 CDT
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: Solarian under 6.0.7

This is a post for another person...
vvvvv
Are there problems with running Solarian under 6.0.7?  It bombs right away on
my IIsi.
^^^^^

-Tom

[I have run it successfully under 6.0.7 on my fx.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91  12:05 GMT
From: SCOFFIN%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: System 7.0FC1 questions....

I have just installed 7.0FC1 and very nice it is too. However I have
come across a couple of annoying compatabilty questions. In order to
print in the background to my non-AppleTalk DeskWriter I use SuperLaser
Spool, on trying this with Sys7 one gets a bomb on startup and the message
"Unimplemented Trap". Is this a known problem and is there likely to be
a fix from the authors of SLS ??
  Rather more worrying is the fact that my internal HD40 (which still has
Sys 6.0.7 installed) cannot be looked at using Norton Disk Doctor as it
says that the disk appears to have been used with Sys 7 and NUM does not
work with System 7 disks. Is this just to do with the new Desktop database
or have the BootBlocks been altered despite the fact that Sys 7 is installed
only on my EXTERNAL HD40SC. Is there any way that I can recover the disk to
it's state before system 7 did it's work, and for the future is there a
way of preventing the mandatory rebuild of the desktop for all volumes
that get mounted ????  Has anyone seen or heard of an upgrade  to NUM
that is Sys 7 compatible ??

Rob Scoffin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 16:16:40 CDT
From: Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>
Subject: Teleport fax modem news

	MacWeek of April 16, page 26 reports that Global Village began
	shipping an improved model of their ADB-modem together with a
	new version of their software (Vn. 1.05) which allows send-fax
	transmission speed of 9600baud.

	the article INCORRECTLY states that modems manufactured before
	March 1990 require a hardware change to use the 9600bps software.
	IN FACT, it should have said March 1991 (i.e. last month)

	Furthermore the article states, that the new software can be ordered
	from Global at a cost of $60 and that it is available also for
	downloading on America Online.

	I called Global to verify  the information (not least because I
	did not believe the March 1990) and learned that older modems
	can be factory upgraded at a cost of $49 to be capable of the
	9600 fax-send speed.

	I also learned that together with Apple's release of System 7
	in mid-May, there will be a release 1.06 of Global's software
	for compatibility reasons with the CTB of System 7.

	As the software is proprietary and only works with the Global
	hardware, I was kindly given permission to make the software
	available in RASCAL's FTPable archives (and I created a directory

		mac/support-of-products/GlobalVillage

	where I will make version 1.04 available (as well as 1.05 and
	1.06, as soon as I receive it)

				Cheers,		---Werner

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 06:15:25 PDT
From: 9531sons%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini)
Subject: TokenRing/NetWare/Mac II's

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I am trying to get some info on connecting a Mac II onto a Token Ring
>network that is using Novell Netware as a File Server.

>I have set up a Mac II onto an Ethernet that was using Novell Netware
>version 2.15 using the MAC VAP on the server and a Kinetics Etherport II
>card in the Mac II.  I haven't heard much about doing this with Token
>Ring though.

>Can anybody suggest a Token Ring board for the Mac II??

>I have heard that there are problems with this set up when the Mac II has
>an oversized monitor (doesn't make much sense to me) anybody know about
>this?

>Any help?  Or can anyone point me in the right direction?

>mc

I have a Apple TokenTalk card in my Mac IICX and use it, daily, to
connect to our SNA (Mainframe) environment.  I also tested an Avatar
TokenRing board (their old 4Mb one, they'll be coming out with a 4/16
card soon) and it worked fine also (for what I did). I have a 2 page
Apple monitor, also.

I do know that we had problems with Mac IICi's with a large monitor and
Apple's Coax/Twinax board (I know this seems unrelated, but...) that
Apple claimed had to do with bus incompatabilities (or conflicts)
between the monitor card and other cards (so maybe the T/R card might
conflict?), but these seemed solved with the last Coax/Twinax card they
sent.  This same arrangement works OK with the T/R card and the large
monitor.

We have Netware 3.10 and are in the process of purchasing the NLM for
Mac's (and the upgrade to 3.11).  So, hopefully soon, I should know if
this works - I sure expect it to.

Check with me in a month (or so) if you're still wondering.

					Jamie Sonsini
					UC Santa Barbara
					9531sons@ucsbvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 16:24:20 -0400
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@alexander.bbn.com>
Subject: Using Sun (Sony) CD-ROM

A few weeks ago I posted a question as to whether it was possible to
use a Sun label CD-ROM drive with a Macintosh.

It turns out that Sun made some firmware changes to the CD-ROM drive
(presumably to allow Suns to boot directly from the CD-ROM drive).
One person guessed that these changes involved changing the blocksize
to 512 byte blocks.

There is a company called Optical Media International (800 DISC OMI
or 408 376 3511) that makes a Mac driver for the Sony CD-ROM drive for
about $40, but the people at OMI didn't seem to think it would work
with the Sun drive and I wasn't willing to gamble the $40.

If anyone finds that this driver does in fact work with the Sun drive
or finds another solution to allow the use of the Sun CD-ROM on a
Macintosh, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks to those who responded

		--Jim Dempsey--
		Bolt Beranek and Newman
		jjd@bbn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1991 15:39 EST
From: RUSSELL AMINZADE FROM TRINITY COLLEGE OF VT <AMINZADE%uvmvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Xapshot

I just got an interesting piece of mail.  Seems that Canon is selling
its Xapshot camera with a mac interface, and video digitizer, and some
software at an academic discount of $600.  $740 for color.

Sounds like it might be great for the student paper!  Has anybody had
any experience with the Xapshot.  I suspect that the quality won't
be too lovely, though they claim 640x480 pixels (per what?  The photos
included in the mailing look like they might indeed be 640x480 DPI,
but I wonder if that's the _total number_ of pixels per picture...),
with 8 bit depth.  Hmmm.  Looks interesting.

Write me about it and I'll summarize to the net.  The offer is said
to expire 6/15/91, so write soon!

------------------------------

Date: 26 Apr 91 07:55 +0000
From: DURTSCHIR%AC%CSC@csc.isu.edu
Subject: Zoom modem with sendfax (Query)

I finally got around to trying to send a fax from the 2400 Baud
ORZoom Modem with Quick Link II software.

When the fax number is dialed, a connection is made and then it's
like the modem is at the wrong baud rate or something because the
fax machine sends characters a couple of times then just hangs up
and leaves without allowing the modem to send the fax.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

By the way, the modem works perfectly in every other way except sending
a fax.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 14:15:17 PDT
From: REM@suwatson.stanford.edu

<<Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 14:36 EDT
>From: "G. Watts -- Rochester" <WATTS@urpas>
Subject: Tex vs WYSIWYG...>>
I'm posting this instead of replying privately only because WATTS@urpas
is not a valid internet domain-system address. (Administrivia: I wish
the software that accepts mail for inclusion in the INFO-NETS digest
would check return addresses for validity.)  [Write us some.  We'll
use it.  ;^) -- Jon]

<<TeX is *THE* way to typeset equations.>>
I dispute that strongly. TeX requires you manually translate your nice
reasonable equation in structured/nested mathematical form as it came
>From Reduce or Macsyma etc. as a LISP s-expression, into a totally
non-structured markup language involving shifting to
superscript/subscript and backspacing (overtyping) and inserting special
characters like integral signs at random places (so as to appear in the
correct visual location), etc. For example:
(INTEGRAL (COS (TIMES 2 X)) X 0 (TIMES 2 PI))
or if you prefer RLISP syntax:
INTEGRAL(COS(2*X),X,0,2*PI);
(the semicolon needed to tell the parser where the end of the expression
is), would be translated into a sequence something vaguely like this
(expressed in English here):
Enter math mode, IntegralSign, Superscript, 2, Asterisk, Pi, backspace,
Subscript, 0, Normal, MaximumColumn, CosineOperator, space, 2x, space,
dx, Leave math mode.
With any nontrivial mathematical expression, that translation step is a
royal pain prone to infinite introduced errors.
We need something that will translate from Reduce or Macsyma etc.
structured form into TeX markup language automatically. Ideally it
should be a utility callable directly from TeX, like this (again,
command structure expressed in English):
Translate Reduce s-expression, (INTEGRAL (COS (TIMES 2 X)) X 0 (TIMES 2
PI))
again if you prefer RLISP syntax:
Translate Reduce RLISP, INTEGRAL(COS(2*X),X,0,2*PI);
Until such a facility exists, I prefer the less-pretty but totally
automated lisp-to-printform utility I wrote (MRPP4 which runs in
Portable Standard LISP).
Likewise we need something to translate Reduce or Macsyma etc. into the
internal representation used by various word processors that can handle
formulas properly. (I guess one can always just paste it as a bitmap
image, sigh. Laserprinter drivers do a nice job of smoothing it so it
doesn't look too bad.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 09:37:55 EDT
From: dlandry@ncs.dnd.ca (Dominique Landry)

This question is about a MacPaint (black & white) File that was
created on a Mac SE. Also, remember that the desired objective is
to have coloured slides.

I would very much appreciate any info as to how to convert
MacPaint (B/W) files to coloured ones. Thank you.

Internet: dlandry@ncs.dnd.ca
CompuServe: 71161,1044
Phone: (613) 992-3391

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 12:49:58 -0400
From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)

I have a command on MS Word's glossary. Unless you have terms more than
one-line long or terms with several superscripts and/or subscripts, it
doesn't pay to store them in MS Word's glossary. By the time you reach out
for the mouse, move the pointer to the menu, press the button, select the
"Glossary ...", wait for the window to open, move the pointer to the scroll
bar, press the button to browse through glossaries and, finally, choose the
term you want, a person with average typing skill can type at least one line
already, not mentioning the interruption of thought flow.

I think Mitchell's way (info-Mac digest V9#89) is actually better for simple
terms, but ultimately, a word processor should be able to find mnemonics
or acrynoms and replace them with predefined terms. That is to say at the
place where you want a glossary entry to be, you simply type in a
mnemonic or acrynom. At the end of composing, you select a command and
the program will search and substitute all the mnemonics or acrynoms
with the predefined terms. So it will substitute asap for as soon as
possible, alap for as late as possible, fyi for for your information, btw for
by the way and so on all together at once provided that you have defined
and stored the mnemonics before.

I think that is the way glossary should work.

Chou

End of Info-Mac Digest