info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/29/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 28 Apr 91       Volume 9 : Issue 96

Today's Topics:

      [*] DeSEA 1.0
      [*] Diamonds 1.5
      [*] Edit_II_11.sit.hqx
      2 FileMaker Pro questions
      Always suggesting a word in Word 4.0?
      Apple ][e card for the LC -- disappointing?
      Classic memory to 2.5MB
      cleaning floppy drive heads in public lab
      Description of Riddler program?
      Looking for a FONT entitled _Perpetua_
      Microphone II Confusion. $65 or $85
      New Radius accelerator
      Printing Color PixMaps on IM LQ
      Serial communications from HyperCard 2.0
      Software for pre-school age - Summary
      Standard ReadMe documents, another plea, MountImage
      StyleWriter, Mandelbrot, Book Printing
      System 7.0 Upgrades
      What system for a IIFX
      Zaum Gadget problem

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 16:01:19 EDT
From: kenh@eclectic.com (Ken Hancock)
Subject: [*] DeSEA 1.0

Enclosed is a utility that I've written to convert self-extracting
archives to their non-self-extracting cousins.  Currently,
DeSEA is configured to recognize Compact Pro and StuffIt SEA archives.
DeSEA will convert either single files, or an entire directory,
by first stripping the resource file, changing the type/creator,
clearing the finder flags, and renaming the file.

This should be especially useful to those Sysops who have users
uploading .sea files or to those who routinely download archives
>From one site and forward them to another.  DeSEA is freeware.
Compact Pro archive.

Enjoy!

Ken

[Archived as /info-mac/util/de-sea.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 15:13:32 +0200
From: odreer@iiic.ethz.ch
Subject: [*] Diamonds 1.5

Finally here is my promised version 1.5 of Diamonds.
I've inclued all announced stuff. I've also rewritten a
large part of the game, so now it should work on most color
Macs. Minimal Configuration : 2MB Ram, 4-Bit Color Video and
at least 640*480 screen resolution.

I have also included a Level Mover, so that all those people
who got the Level Editor can publish their new levels.
When I've got enough Shareware fees, I will also publish the
Editor as public Domain! So keep on sending me checks or cash!

Oliver Dreer
odreer@iiic.ethz.ch

[Archived as /info-mac/game/diamonds-15.hqx; 330K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 19:04:42 CST
From: kseah@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth Cheng-Lim Seah)
Subject: [*] Edit_II_11.sit.hqx

Edit II 1.1 is an update to Edit II 1.0.2.  Besides fixing bugs in 1.0.2,
1.1 incorporates new features:
* Balancing of parentheses, braces and brackets.
* Preferences file for font/size etc settings
* Strip/Add linefeeds.  Special SmartStrip mode to invisibly remove
  linefeeds on opening a file and to reinsert them when saving.
* Select all available on Edit menu
*** Bugs fixed ***
o Crash on exit on Mac Plus fixed (tried to call non-existent ADB)
o Memory full problem alleviated with save and exit
o Typing O in CursorPad mode will cause a cursor down
>>> For the uninitiated <<<
Edit II is a replacement for Consulair's venerable (and copyrighted) Edit.
It supports the use of the F1-F4 keys for copying and has a cursor pad
mode (as well as uses the cursor keys).  Shareware fee: $15
Regards - Ken
PS If you have already registered - this one's for you

[Archived as /info-mac/app/edit-ii-11.hqx; 68K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1991 22:09:00 +0200
Subject: 2 FileMaker Pro questions

Lausanne, Switzerland, April 27, 91, 10:10pm

Hi Mac Info Netters,

I have 2 questions about FileMaker Pro...

I'm actually importing Reflex databases from the PC world into FileMaker
databases. The Import function does a good work. But, I would like to know
2 things...

1) I'm appending 3 databases into 1. So I have names repeated in
my database list. I have added, in FileMaker, a field containing
the origin of each name: 3 boxes where I click in, named "File 1", "File 2"
and "File 3".
For example, if a person was in File1 and in File3, I'll have it twice,
in two separate records, one with the Box "File1" marked on and the other
one with the Box "File 3" marked on. I would like to know if it is
possible to copy the information of the second record into the first in
order to obtain only one record with that person, and both "File 1" and
"File 3" boxes marked on ?

Example:
      Jordi   Steve     xFile 1    oFile 2    oFile 3
      Jordi   Steve     oFile 1    oFile 2    xFile 3
must give
      Jordi   Steve     xFile 1    oFile2     xFile 3
(where x is a marked box)

2) I also have a field named "Record number". I only put here the number
of the record. But, is it possible to renumber it automaticly from the
1st to the last one with a step of 1 (or 2, 10, ... ) ???
I would like to use this when sorting  the records by name. As a
result  of the sort, the "record number" fields are not sorted anymore !

Thanks for excusing me the way I speak English (I'm very tired!), and thanks
too for any help.

And remember: Don't Worry, Be Apple !

Steve Jordi, University of Geneva, Switzerland
JORDI@SC2A.UNIGE.CH

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1991 22:11:00 +0200
Subject: Always suggesting a word in Word 4.0?

Hi again netters,
I would like to know if it is possible, in Word 4.0 to force the
speller to ALWAYS suggest words ? I know there is such an option
in Word for Windows (on PC), but can we do the same in Word 4.0?
It is boring to click on the button each time we want a suggestion...

Thanks for the help.
Sincerely,

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 91 11:37 EDT
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: Apple ][e card for the LC -- disappointing?

The Apple ][e cards to go into the LC have finally shipped, so I took a
look at the instruction manual that comes with it to see how it was going
to solve my problem of porting my Apple ][e world onto my mac. I was
disappointed to see, however, that the manual says *nothing* about the
much vaunted sharing of the LC's hard disk: the manual speaks only in
terms of your having inside your LC an Apple ][ that you can run off
floppies.

If you are like me, this is going to help you not at all. I've got literally
years of work on a hard disk from my Apple ][ days, and am no longer set up
to run off floppies at all. If I can't get my whole Apple ][ world onto my
LC's hard disk, the Apple ][ card is pointless: I may as well just try to
get the textfiles onto the LC with Apple File Exchange and treat them as Mac
files (just what I intend to do).

Since there was a thread about Apple ][ --> mac transfer running on this net
some while ago, I thought I ought to mention this little bummer. It may be,
in fact, that there *is* a way to partition the hard disk so the Apple ][e
card can share it with the mac, but the manual doesn't mention it, and on
the strength of that I see no reason, after all, to buy one.

The usual disclaimer: this is just my stupid opinion, subject to correction at
any time by those wiser than I. matt neuburg = neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 91 11:01:34 PDT
From: 6500erik%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Erik Adams)
Subject: Classic memory to 2.5MB

Yes, you should be able to put the 256k SIMMs into your
classic, but if you do it yourself you'll void the warranty.
Better to have a dealer do it.

Erik

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1991 14:47 CDT
From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: cleaning floppy drive heads in public lab

Hello netters,

I haven't seen this kind of question up here before, so I don't feel too guilty
for asking.  Are any of you using any kind of cleaner floppy with solvents
to clean floppy drive read/write heads on a routine basis?  Are these kind of
cleaners to be trusted?  Do they ruin heads?

If this kind of disk is good for cleaning heads, can you recommend good brands
to look at?

Thanks in advance.

Albert Everett
UALR Academic Computing Services
BITNET:  aeeverett@ualr.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 91 09:59:06 CDT
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: Description of Riddler program?

Hi. Does anyone have information about the Riddler software program?
Thanks in advance for any info? Marsh
Internet: NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU
BITNET:   NU163467@NDSUVM1

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 91 20:02 EST
From: THE GOAT SLAYER <G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu>
Subject: Looking for a FONT entitled _Perpetua_

Hello there....

I am in dire need of a font called PERPETUA.  Since info-mac has lots of fonts
in the archives, and since info-mac goes out to a lot of people, I was wondering
if anybody could help me.

If anybody has this font, or knows how/where to get it, please let me know.

Thank you,

G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 15:28:41 CDT
From: ECPKLINE%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Microphone II Confusion. $65 or $85

Concerning my previous note a few weeks ago about Microphone II being offered
for $65, well not quite.  I was told that over the phone, but when I later

talked to the sales rep, he stated that $65 was for Universities Computer
not us regular students.  He did state that I could have the software sent to
me directly for $85 plus shipping.  This is still under dealer cost and
allows you to upgrade for free to 4.0 in august.  Also this is a full standard
working copy, not limited.  I think this is a wonderful deal and I plan on
pursuing it as soon as possible.
Sorry about the confusion.
Jeff Kline (ecpkline@umcvmb.missouri.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 15:07:12 edt
From: Kelvin Gustilo <kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu>
Subject: New Radius accelerator

Has anyone used the Radius Rocket accelerator? It's a NuBus card containing a
25 MHz 68040. I would like some information regarding performance and compatability problems. I saw a review on the NY Times Science Section a few weeks back
and someone said it had rather peculiar problems with Word? Please e-mail to my
address and I will summarize it for the net

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 91 11:44:49 SDT
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.AT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing Color PixMaps on IM LQ

Has anybody found a way to print colored pixmaps on an ImageWriter LQ!
Color prints are Ok if the source is an object PICT file but pixmaps
always appear Black and White only?

Norbert Mueller, Institute of Chemistry, Johannes Kepler University, LINZ
AUSTRIA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1991 11:35 EDT
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ULKYVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Serial communications from HyperCard 2.0

I want to write an application in HyperCard that uses a modem to dial an online
service, retrieve the data, format and display it.  I can do everything else
but the serial stuff is going to require an XFCN and an XCMD.

I am looking at the Serial Toolkit from APDA.  It's only $20 and I can have it
right away.  I am wondering if there are other products that are better for
some reason.

Please respond directly to me.  I'll summarize if the responses would be of
interest to all.

Mike Harpe
University of Louisville

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 91 09:15 CDT
From: Flying Low Without Radar <KH1461A@acad.drake.edu>
Subject: Software for pre-school age - Summary

Howdy again, all.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help in locating
software suitable for use by a pre-school age child. I have included a
summary of the responses I received below. A couple of notes:
1] The software available on the net seems to come from the
    hypercard stack directory at sumex. I tried to get Puz'lings
    via FTP and then a kermit download to my Mac, and something
    went wrong. The Mac file I ended up with would not unstuff
    due to file corruption. Has anyone successfully downloaded
    this stack? I'm guessing I did something wrong somewhere in
    the transfer.
2] My 5 year old enjoys playing with Superpaint and a game I
    found on sumex-aim, Toxic Ravene.

Happy Macing.
Kevin Houle  -  (KH1461A@DRAKE : Bitnet)
<I've seen a 2 year old using a Mac running a program called PlayRoom.>

<If you can't locate any suitable software on the net, you might>
<try contact Heizer Software, 1941 Oak Park blvd, Suite 30,     >
<Pleasant Hill, CA  94523; 800/888-7667 about their catalog.    >
<They have lots of software such as Hypercard stacks, Excel     >
<spreadsheets, and educational stuff. Their prices are pretty   >
<reasonable, also. I've ordered from them before and have no    >
<complaints. They have both Mac and IBM.                        >
<I have heard of the following software but know none of the             >
<details.  They are probably not available on the net, I just don't know!>
<                                                                        >
<          Playroom         Reader Rabbit         McGee                  >
<          KidsTime         Math Rabbit           PreSchool Pak          >
<          KidPix           Blaster                                      >
<          Riddler          Katie's Farm                                 >

<You might want to look into Kid
<Pix, available in both a commercial (~$27 mail order, look in the
<mags) and shareware version (look in sumex-aim archives, or
<visit your nearest users group, most of which maintain a public
<domain/sharware library).
<   Kid Pix is a very nice painting program designed to be easy to
<use for children (although many adults like to play with it too).
<If you want to erase the entire screen, you drag a firecracker
<onto the screen, the fuse burns down, and there is a big explosion,
<   ... some text deleted, due to inept editing...  of dinosaurs and     >
<ice cream cones, dripping paint, lots of goodies. i know it runs         >
<under system 6.0.4 . The commercial version offers color.                >
<   Cosmic Osmo is a very popular (and very large) hypercard              >
<program, coming in floppy disk or cd-rom formats. (CD-rom version        >
<is much more elaborate). It's sort of an Alice in Wonderland             >
<sort of thing. It's commercial, widely avail.                            >
<   Also, there are a great many Hypercard stacks with child appeal.      >
<The Inigo series, by Amanda Goodenough are popular (some commercial,     >
<some not) and Berkeley Macintosh Users Group (BMUG) maintains a          >
<large library of hypercard stacks.                                       >
<   Of course, you don't have to limit yourself to programs designed      >
<for children (at least on the Mac). I've seen children happily tapping   >
<away on Macwrite, even if they were too young to read.                   >
<   If you have a hard disk, the thing you have to worry most about is    >
<that the child will rearrange or trash your files (or reformat the       >
<hard disk). Best to keep a backup of your HD. Making your folders        >
<invisible (with something like disktop or disktools 2) also provides     >
<some security, although it is not foolproof.                             >

<I seem to remember one called Reader Rabbit which got RAVE reviews >
<everywhere.                                                        >

<IF you have a hard disk, I highly recommend Cosmic Osmo (about $40     >
<from places like MacConnection or MacWarehouse).  This is a 5 megabyte >
<Hypercard program (you have Hypercard, right?).  The CD-ROM version is >
<even better, but you probably don't have a CD-ROM; be sure you get the >
<version you need.                                                      >
<                                                                       >
<Cosmic Osmo is a sort of space exploration game.  There is no object,  >
<you just explore, watch the animations, listen to the sound effects.   >
<You explore by pointing and clicking.  Words which sometimes appear on >
<the screen (in word balloons) are also read aloud.  Clicking on        >
<various things cause various results (e.g. clicking on a door may open >
<it, clicking on the ground may cause flowers to pop up, ....).  You    >
<really need to see it to understand--it's sort of like a cartoon under >
<your control.                                                          >
<                                                                       >
<An earlier game by the same company, The Manhole, is similar but       >
<somehow not as captivating.                                            >

<For your child--can I suggest the hyper card stack "puzzlings"       >
<Most of the things are for beginners.  Look in the card dir at sumex.>
<  I have a three-year old who is an active Mac user. HyperCard 2.0 (or 1.2.5)>
<is the program he enjoys the most - he uses the painting tools and likes     >
<to build with the train set stack.  With a little HyperTalk programming, I   >
<am able to make up other stacks from time to time.  For example, he was      >
<interested in the LED display on digital clocks, so, I made up a stack with  >
<a single card showing a single digit in the LED format.  He can click on     >
<the LEDs and when it forms a letter or number he gets some feedback (the     >
<Mac speaks the letter or number and in some cases shows a picture).          >
<There are a variety of stacks available in the Info-Mac archives (look in    >
<the 'card' directory).                                                       >

<You should try Puz'lings if you haven't yet. >

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 91 13:04:54 PDT
From: REM@suwatson.stanford.edu
Subject: Standard ReadMe documents, another plea, MountImage

I download MountImage, but when I un-stuffed it I found the ReadMe
<bullet> MountImage file was of type SIMA and creator GEOL. Not even
QUILL can read it. So how am I supposed to read the stuff that is so
crucially important it's put in the ReadMe document?

I add my voice to the chorus of requests that all ReadMe documents be
plain ASCII TEXT (I don't care what creator since I can patch that or
manually select the file from inside any TEXT editor), and that all
regular documentation be in something that can be read by some freeware
program (i.e. somebody should publish the data representation of Microsoft
Word and MacWrite so that somebody else can easily write a WordReadonly
program and a MacWriteReadonly program and make them generally available;
and SIMU/GEOL etc. shouldn't be used at all for documentation).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 16:21:59 EDT
From: Paul Devalier <PAD@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: StyleWriter, Mandelbrot, Book Printing

I would appreciate any help on the following:

  1) Has anyone heard of a way to use non-water-soluble ink cartridges
     with the StyleWriter. I remember people going around the DeskWriter
     problem by injecting ink into the used cartridges. Is there any
     solution to this problem?

  2) There used to be a program called Mandelbrot in the archives, which
     allowed for exploration of that set. It had fairly extsenive online
     help and excellent color picking tools. I believe it was shareware
     $35. I've looked in several archives, including the one here at
     Brown and it seem to have been erased everywhere I looked. How can
     I get it?

  3) I need to print pages onto paper which will later be bound into a book.
     I therefore need a way to print pages, not in their sequential order,
     but in such a way that by binding them folio, they will appear in their
     sequential order. Is anyone getting me? For example, a book bound with
     2 full letter sheets will have 8 pages, 2 on the inside of each sheet
     and 2 on the outside (one page per half piece of paper per side).
     One paper will be numbered 2,7,1,8 and the second paper will be numbered
     3,4,5,6. Take a look at a bound hard cover book to see what I mean.
     So, my question is: What reasonably priced software/hardware combo
     will allow me to do this.

Any help would and will be appreciated. Thank you, Paul Devalier PAD@BROWNVM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 15:17:37 PDT
From: "Donald R. Proctor   spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu" <spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu>
Subject: Summary: SLIP for Mac

Thanks to everyone who replied to my inquiry about SLIP for the Mac.
Following is a summary of the responses I received.

 -------

>From: "Dana Cartwright, Syracuse Univ, 315-443-4504" <DECARTWR%SUVM.bitnet@uccvma.ucop.edu>
To: spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu

A/UX has a slip implementation....works fine for telnet and ftp, but
it's been driving me crazy trying to run NFS......

I keep hearing rumors about a TCP/IP package which runs under the regular
Mac OS, but I haven't seen anything concrete on this......

 -------

>From: Eric Meininger <ericm@css.itd.umich.edu>
To: spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu
Subject: SLIP implementation

Check out the program MacNet which is available on the archives at
ub.cc.umich.edu, um.cc.umich.edu and probably now mac-archive.ifs.umich.edu.
This program uses an implementation of the SLFP protocol for FTPing, not
SLIP. If they're totally irrelevant, then please ignore my ranting. :)

Eric Meininger

PS: The um and ub archives are located in the PC2: directory.

 -------

>From: faith@eagle.mit.edu (Ray Faith)
To: spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu (Donald R. Proctor)
Subject: SLIP for Mac

At MIT I, as a client, use a SLIP implementation to access our POP3 mail
server via telephone.  I don't know the details concerning distribution
rights, and I don't know for sure whether it works for other network
applications, but would guess that this is the case.

You should contact the network services group at information systems to
get more info about this software.  Try (617) 253-4101 (their usual help
line). I'm pretty sure that SLIP is sold very cheaply as a component of
a communications toolkit within MIT, and it may be available via
anonymous ftp at a suitable network server (with a name something like
net-serve.mit.edu) but I can't give any details now because I don't have
that info at hand here at home.  If you want to access this software,
and can get no help from the phone connection, send me a note and I will
try to help you further.

 -------

>From: Daniel Schwabe <PUCRJDI%BRFAPESP.bitnet@uccvma.ucop.edu>
To: spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu

Version 2.3 of NCSA Telnet (available from the infomac arch.)
accepts the option hardware=slipN (N=2400, 9600, 19200, ...) in
the configuration file (although it is not documented). I've been
using it w/o problems for both telnet and ftp.
If you find any other alternatives, I would also like to know.
Cheers, Daniel Schwabe

 -------

>From: Troy Gaul <TG0331A@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU>
Subject: Re: SLIP for the Mac
To: spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu

The only one I have heard of is in TCP/Connect II (or something like that) from
Intercon Systems. It has many parts, including mail, news, telnet, ftp, etc.
all in internet network form, and it also comes with SLIP capabilites. The
price is in the multiple-hundred-dollar range, but I believe that you can get
only the parts you need for less than the package price.

If you hear of any other alternatives, let me know if you would. Thanks.

 -------

>From: zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston)
To: spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu

InterCon's TCP-Connect, a commercial product, supports slip.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 13:11:34 PDT
From: Dave Martin <DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 Upgrades

Just wanted to vent a frustration. System 7.0 is supposed to be released May 13
>From what I've read in MacWeek. Of course, Apple is saying nothing. Here it is,
almost the end of April, less than three weeks from the expected release date,
and Apple still is giving no information regarding upgrades, pricing,
availability, etc. Even if System 7.0FC is still too buggy to release by that
date, and things are delayed until June (...or July...or 1992...), Apple should
decide immediately how upgrades are to be handled, and get the information to
dealers, service providers, and - perhaps far more importantly - end users and
system managers. I've called Apple's Customer Assistance number, only to be told
that the only information that Apple has released regarding System 7.0 is that it
will be released during the first half of 1991, and that pricing and availability
information will be released when the release date is determined, with shipping
shortly thereafter.
As the unofficial manager of a small (~20) Macintosh network -- not alot of 'em,
but enough -- I need to be able to plan purchasing and installing the upgrades
for budgeting both money and time. Apple's delay in getting such very important
information to the people who need it shows just how little they really care
about customer service. MacWeek has claimed that the individual upgrade price
(which, by the license included in Apple's more recent System software, can only
be used on one unit, and cannot be copied except for backup purposes) is supposed
to be $99 (up from their original report of $49), with the site-license upgrade
kit, which allows unlimited copies of the software at the site, should run $250
to $350. This group upgrade kit reportedly (from the original MacWeek story) will
ship only on CD-ROM. If this is the case, I need to know so that I can purchase a
CD-ROM drive, and expect to buy the group upgrade. Even if not, I still need to
know what is coming, when, and what it will cost.
Apple seems to believe that secrecy is their best weapon. Not a very effective
weapon when you consider the number of sites planning to hold off on System 7.0
until next year. True, many are waiting to see how well it works, to plan
training for the new System, and so forth. But would as many be waiting if Apple
had been willing to give out more information sooner? Probably, but would they be
waiting quite as long?
Sorry, I've been ranting awhile here. If you think Apple should release upgrade
and shipping information now, you should call the Apple Customer Assistance
Center at 1-800-776-2333 and tell them to pass a message on up the line stating
your dissatisfaction with Apple's lack of information on this very important
subject. If you work at Apple, how about getting the OK from on high to send in
an official or semi-official statement on the topic? If anyone has any
information at all, please respond to me or to the net.
Thanks for putting up with this...
Dave Martin, Geochem & Enviro Rsrch Group, Texas A&M Univ. - DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 91 13:55:45 -0400
From: grant@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Liam Grant)
Subject: What system for a IIFX

Hello,
	Someone in the office here just got a Mac IIfx a few weeks ago.
At the moment he is getting a lot of "Coprocessor not installed"
bombs and just plain freezes.  Could anyone tell me where to start
looking for this problem.  I just upgraded his MS Word to ver 4.0D
and I'm hoping that will help somewhat.  What system should he be running
on this machine (6.0.5 or 6.0.7) ?
       Please reply direct to me at "grant@css.itd.nrl.navy.mil" and
I will summarize for info-mac.

Liam Grant, NRL, Code 5541, Washington, DC 20375-5000, (202) 767-2392

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 91 15:04:19 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Zaum Gadget problem

I downloaded "Zaum Gadget" but can't get it to work.  When I try to
press any of the three buttons "Zaum Bother," "Zaum Wound," or "Zaum
Sound" I get the message "That tool is not available at the current
user level," and when I quit HyperCard (the only way to exit from the
stack that I have found), I get the message "Can't find menu item
'compact stack'."  What--if anything--am I doing wrong?  I'm using
HyperCard 2.0.

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 91 10:56:05 PDT
From: 6500erik%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Erik Adams)

Open the MacPaint document with any paint program that supports
color and colorize it.  All versions of SuperPaint do this, for
example.

Erik

End of Info-Mac Digest