info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/02/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed,  1 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 99

Today's Topics:

      [*] Clipboard Magician 0.65
      [*] Empire Builder demo v1.8
      [*] Mac startup screen
      [*] Mount Image 1.2b1
      [*] Qcat
      [*] Rahwana startup screen
      [*] Scientific references 1.1
      [*] TidBITS#59/AccessPC
      [*] Translate 1.0b1
      [*] ViewColours DA
      [*] Zhou Jun StartupScreen
      AppleScan printing with Mac si
      cache
      Dirty Rotten ROMs, T-shirts, 240 volts.
      Ethernet vs Token Ring
      Help on E-Mail Retrieval of Info-Mac Archive
      How about an Info-Mac bibliography?
      HyperCard won't open stacks
      IIe card and HD Access
      I would like a PD copy of PING
      Loodle 4.03
      MountImage Readme- SIMA/GEOL
      PSMathGraphsII for math diagrams
      Serious HyperCard Problem.
      SLIP for Mac
      StyleWriter and Rotated Text
      System hangs at times for SE/30
      Using MSWord 4.0 Glossary
      VGA for SI
      Wallpaper for the Mind on Mac+/SE

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 13:34:32 -0700
From: Ed Lai <lai@apple.com>
Subject: [*] Clipboard Magician 0.65

This is the latest version of Clipboard Magician, a DA that let you look at
the content of the scrap and manipulate it in many different ways. This new
version includes FKEYs that would let you use the function directly from
your application.

[Archived as /info-mac/da/clipboard-magician-065.hqx; 219K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 22:09:04 PDT
From: Thinker@gate.oxy.edu (Richard K. Neunherz)
Subject: [*] Empire Builder demo v1.8

       I have sent the new Empire Builder demo in all one part.  It has
been encoded in a Self extracting archive.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/empire-builder-18.hqx; 342K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 10:25:17 CDT
From: motcid!marble!derosa@uunet.uu.net (John DeRosa)
Subject: [*] Mac startup screen

If you use this StartupScreen, please send me some
e-mail or s-mail.  My kids would get a kick if I
got some mail from the other side of the world.

This is a startupscreen of my Macintosh Plus taken with a MacVideo
adapter.

It is really a pretty cool picture, not just a Mac on a table,
but a perspective with a neat background and good foreground interest.

It is perfect for a startupscreen for a compact Mac (especially
a Plus).  There are several other good startupscreens in the
archives, I like art/cow the best.

[Archived as /info-mac/art/mac.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 04:56:20 EDT
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Mount Image 1.2b1

I found this in the "New from Apple" folder on America Online.
Apparently it's a Control Panel device that mounts .image files on the
desktop (those created by DiskCopy 4.1 such as system software on apple.com).
It's very small too!  This is a BinHex-ed Stuffit Dexlue/Classic archive.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/mount-image-12b1.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 16:36 CDT
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: [*] Qcat

Fast and easy to use disk and file cataloguing utility. Creates a TEXT file
for import in databases. MultiFinder compatible, does removable cartridges,
optional file versions."QCat" is in two parts, the application and dox (this
file) and "QCat Stuff.sit" witch contains  2 HC starter stacks.This version
fixes some bugs with removables and windows and more.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/qcat-143.hqx; 100K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 16:21 MET
From: "NYMEGEN UNIVERSITY (KUN) - HOLLAND -" <HSCHOTEL%KUNRC1.URC.KUN.NL@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: [*] Rahwana startup screen

Hello Asian ART lovers!
Startup screen showing Rahwana, the "Wayang" (shadow play) figure
who stole Sita, the wife of Rama, and brought her to Sri Lanka.
The Ramayana will tell you how Rama got her back (more or less).
There are hundreds of Wayang figures. (There is also the
Mahabaratha!). Let's start with this one. (You will understand that
this is something completely different from the 'cows' screen!).
Bye! Henk

[Archived as /info-mac/art/rahwana.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: 13 Apr 91 13:36:00 EST
From: "DAVID J. GODBEY" <godbey@ccf1.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: [*] Scientific references 1.1

This HyperCard 2.0 stack is used to keep scientific reference database
including topical file, title, author, affliiation, reference, and notes.
It has full search capabilities for finding, cross referencing, retrieving,
listing, and printing information in any of the above fields. It is an
updated version of a SUMEX posting scientific-references.hqx, and has
several new capabilities.  The new features are: 1. Cross referencing
enables you to search a key word or topic, then further narrow your search
by restricting a second search to the already selected entries; 2. Listing
and printing the search.

Dave Godbey

[Archived as /info-mac/card/scientific-refs-11.hqx; 27K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, Apr 30, 1991 8:41:18 PM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: [*] TidBITS#59/AccessPC

[*] TidBITS#59/AccessPC

AccessPC Review

AccessPC is a single purpose utility that sits in the
background and allows you to mount MS-DOS disks on the
Macintosh desktop (assuming of course, that you have a
drive that can read and write MS-DOS disks). AccessPC
is about as transparent as possible and is much faster
than DOS Mounter 1.0. You even get the extra bonus of
being able to mount SoftPC hard disk documents as
volumes, which makes for much easier transfer of files
in and out.

AccessPC Review
  AccessPC Introduction
  AccessPC Installation
  Using AccessPC
  AccessPC Documentation
  AccessPC Conclusion

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-59.hqx; 29K]

------------------------------

Date: 12 APR 91 13:20:02.84-GMT
From: RAYNAUD%FRESE51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Translate 1.0b1

  Here is Translate 1.0b1, a dcmd (MacsBug external command), that
displays the translation tree used by the Paged Memory Management
Unit (PMMU) for a given virtual address.

  It is in fact an emulation of the coprocessor instruction PTEST, but
gives much more information. Each level of table search is displayed,
with the according flags (Used, Modified, and so on).

  The binhex file is a Stuffit (1.5) archive which contains the dcmd
(just paste it in the Debugger's Prefs file with ResEdit) and a small
100% text documentation created by MPW. Any text reader or word processor
should be able to read it.

  I welcome all comments about this dcmd : it is now beta 1, and while
all the algorithm of translation is implemented, the output is not
perfect, mostly because my system cannot test every possible case. It
works fine with System 7.0b4 virtual memory on a MC68030. I would like
to know if it works with Virtual, or on a MC68851.

  Alain Raynaud <Raynaud@Frese51.Bitnet>

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/translate-10b1.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 15:10:47 +0100
From: thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (Thomas Okken)
Subject: [*] ViewColours DA

ViewColours is a DA that shows you the colours of the monitor it is on. It will
recognize all current colour & grayscale devices, from 1 to 32 bits per pixel.
ViewColours displays a small window, in which the colour set is shown similarly
to the Monitors cdev. Move it to another monitor, and the display changes
accordingly.
ViewColours will work on any Macintosh with Colour QuickDraw. Since it is only
2141 bytes, I only BinHexed it without compressing it first. ViewColours is
freeware: use it as you see fit.

 - Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

[Archived as /info-mac/da/view-colors.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 12:02 MET
From: "NYMEGEN UNIVERSITY (KUN) - HOLLAND -" <HSCHOTEL%KUNRC1.URC.KUN.NL@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: [*] Zhou Jun StartupScreen

Hello art lovers!
This StartupScreen was drawn by the Chinese ink painter ZHOU JUN
during the first and only 10 minutes he ever spent drawing
on a Macintosh. Originating from Shanghai, he is currently
living in Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Sooner or later he will be
seen in the New York art scene. This might be the only of his
drawings you will ever be able to afford! Henk Schotel.

hschotel@kunrc1.urc.kun.nl

[Archived as /info-mac/art/zhou-jun.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 08:23:18 EDT
From: Kathy S Brown <KATHY@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: AppleScan printing with Mac si

Anyone else with a MacII si having trouble printing from AppleScan?
THe Print command (or Print Selection) are both dim from the File
menu.  Any yes the printer is selected from the Chooser and the
document window is active.  Any help would be appreciated.  List

kathy@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 1991 06:17:39 GMT
From: hui@landau.uchicago.edu (Hui Dong)
Subject: cache

  What is cache? what it really do? How does it affect the system memory
location and may be speed? The cache card will increase the speed of mac?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 17:09:05 CDT
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Dirty Rotten ROMs, T-shirts, 240 volts.

The current MacWeek has the headline "Dirty-ROM Mac owners clamor for
Aplle cleanup", and according to the article, there have been weeks of
on-line discussion on Internet about why Apple should make a clean-ROM
upgrade available to IIcx, IIx and SE/30 owners (for < $200). I seem to
have missed this discussion and the "open letter" that it resulted in.
So far the letter has 300 signatures, which doesn't seem like a lot. Anyone
know how info-mac subscribers can add their 2 cents worth?

The same MacWeek says that System 7 T-shirts are being issued to people
invited to the May 13 rollout. How can "the rest of us" get our hands on
a System 7 T-shirt?

Something completely different: the LC has an international power supply,
which means it can run off 220 volts. When I take it to the UK this summer,
does this mean that all I have to do is get a Brit cable, plug it in and
switch it on? Or are their thingmyjigs inside which have to be appeased
before feeding the machine the stronger brew?

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF@TCSVM
PL0BALF@VM.TCS.TULANE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1991 17:08:45 PDT
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: Ethernet vs Token Ring

Date    4/30/91
Subject Ethernet vs Token Ring
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

        Reply to:   Ethernet vs Token Ring
The following person (liane@sbu.ufrgs.anrs.br) needs arguements as to why they
should choose either ethernet or token ring.  I sent all the reasons why I
would choose one vs the other (yes token ring does have a place in the world
but for them I figure ethernet is the best choice.)  Does anyone know of
articles in magazines that compare the two.  Can anyone provide additional
comparisions for them?  Without major documentation or good arguements, the
IBM heavy sell to upper management is probably going to win out.

I don't think they see info-mac.  If anyone has something they can use, please
e-mail them directly at:
liane@sbu.ufrgs.anrs.br

BTW: I have no idea whether their users are on Unix boxes, Macs, PCs, etc but
I figure that people on info-mac are probably pretty well versed in
networking.  My appologies if I'm the only networking person on info-mac.

Kee Nethery

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 13:41:45 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help on E-Mail Retrieval of Info-Mac Archive

On Tue, 23 Apr 91 12:03:25 PDT you said:
>Is there any way of retrieving files from the Info-Mac archive thorugh
>e-mail? I do not have direct Internet access so I CAN NOT do FTP. I would
>appriciate you help. Thank you.

email to: listserv@ricevm1.rice.edu
(subject ignored)

$MAC INDEX ALL
$MAC INDEX RECENT
$MAC INDEX POPULAR
$MAC GET 00CDEV-ABSTRACTS.ABS
$MAC GET WAITLESS-10.HQX
$MAC GET /CDEV/WAITLESS-10.HQX
$MAC GET VAPORWARE-05-91.TXT
$MAC GET /DIGEST/VAPORWARE-04-91.TXT

Got the idea?  You can put one or more commands in the body of the email,
but LISTSERV@RICE has a daily (24hr) limit of 256K of output per requesting
address.

$MAC tells the LISTSERV you want the Macintosh (info-mac) archives.

The INDEX commands retrieve directories.

GET retrieves files (the only time the subdirectory actually is needed is
when the file names are duplicated -- in a few cases where there are
separate entries for source and binaries or apps and docs.

Some of the abstract files may cause the mailer problems because they have
a few lines which are wider than 80 characters (I have no idea whether
LISTSERV wraps, truncates, purges, or uglifies those because it sends
a compressed format to BITNET sites which is "transparent to the user" <most
of the time> :-)

Busy as sumex-aim is, I expect that email retrieval might be preferred by
some than trying to establish an ftp connection to sumex-aim.  I don't
know for sure whether ricevm1.rice.edu supports anonymous ftp (it is
technically possible).

BITNET users also can send the commands by message (TELL commands from
VM/CMS, SEND commands from VAX/VMS whatever the equivalents are from
MVS, URREP, and "homebrew" (yes, Virginia the net protocol software for
some BITNET hosts is officially listed in the NETSERV records as "homebrew" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 17:47 EDT
From: "Ethan J. Benatan" <ETHAN%PITTVMS.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: How about an Info-Mac bibliography?

Dear Netters and Moderators:

It seems that I frequently find myself wanting to learn about some new aspects
of computerdom which seem too mundane to ask of all you busy people - i.e., I'm
afraid of sounding like an idiot. A lot of the basic information has got to be
available in books; I have seen many referred to on this list. The problem is,
when I see the references, I am usually not aware that I will want to use the
source in the future for some project I haven't even thought of yet. I suspect
that there are other folks in this situation too. So here is an idea:

Why not have an info-mac *bibliography* on the archives? A listing of books,
and maybe people's comments/reviews, as well as useful information on
availability and price. What do you think?

Now for the really tricky part, I am going to put my time where my mouth is: I
am prepared to put some effort into making this happen, starting  with some
discussion to figure out if I have the skills and resources and could devote
the necessary time to make it an ongoing project.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks,

        Ethan

        Benatan@pittvms (Bitnet)   or   Benatan@vms.cis.pitt.edu (Internet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 15:03 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: HyperCard won't open stacks

Greetings,

I am having a recurring problem with HyperCard 2.0v2 running under MultiFinder
6.0.7 in a 2000K heap on a Mac IIcx with 8MB of RAM and an 80MB internal
Quantum drive. I have one stack that is always open in a small window. Every
once in a while (2 or 3 days) I can't open any other stacks. I can't go home,
nor can I open other stacks. Checking in the About the Finder... box I see that
HyperCard is only using about half of it's (generous) allocation. The HeapSpace
function returns over 1MB (e.g. 1385748 today). I don't have many other files
open in other applications, I've certainly had more open without this problem.
Does anyone have any clues? When I quit and launch HyperCard again, the problem
is gone.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 91 23:38 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: IIe card and HD Access

>I was disappointed to see, however, that the manual says *nothing* about the
>much vaunted sharing of the LC's hard disk: the manual speaks only in
>terms of your having inside your LC an Apple ][ that you can run off
>floppies.

The ability to use your Macintosh hard disk in IIe mode with the Mac LC will be
part of a free software upgrade that will ship this Summer. This fact is
mentioned in a piece of paper that is inserted in the IIe card's box.

Sorry to put out your flame, but this much-vaunted feature will be there,
gratis, while it's still warm in the northern hemisphere.

The rest of you may go out and buy a IIe card without fear.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 08:55:09 GMT
From: Brad Stone <BRAD@dcsprod.byu.edu>
Subject: I would like a PD copy of PING

I am looking for a public domain version of PING, the TCP/IP program that
can test the connection to internet sites.  I have a copy for the IBM,
but would like one for the Macintosh.  Also, any other Mac network tools
would be helpfull.

     - Brad Stone

INTERNET: brad@iss.byu.edu
BITNET:   issbgs@byuvm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 11:36:41 BST
From: Marcus Harvey <marcus@sun.pcl.ac.uk>
Subject: Loodle 4.03

Firstly, thanks to all who replied concerning DXF->Mac and also the Async.
LaserWriter.

Secondly, does anyone know an email address for the authors of Loodle? I
would like
to use this program but unfortunately the labels it supports are not
available in the UK. I would like to beg them to support user-definable
labels!

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.sun - JANET
marcus%sun.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 91 23:37 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: MountImage Readme- SIMA/GEOL

>I download MountImage, but when I un-stuffed it I found the ReadMe
><bullet> MountImage file was of type SIMA and creator GEOL. Not even
>QUILL can read it. So how am I supposed to read the stuff that is so
>crucially important it's put in the ReadMe document?

This is an AppleLink image file, readable by AppleLink 5.0 or above. It is
created by printing the document using a special "printer" driver that actually
saves an image of the formatted page. The code that creates this file is based
on Glue, by Solutions International of Williston, VT. Their product may be able
to display and print it. If not, your local Apple dealer or other Apple support
contact should have the AppleLink application, and they may be willing to let
you print the Readme.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 22:16:27 EDT
From: riddle@mathcs.emory.edu (Larry Riddle)
Subject: PSMathGraphsII for math diagrams

Please include in comp.sys.mac.digest. Thank you.
-----

I recently purchased the program PSMathGraphsII for the Macintosh
for preparing mathematical plots and diagrams for my classes and papers.
I saw a demo of the program at the meeting of the American Math Society
in San Francisco in January and it has just been officially released
within the past month.

PSMathGraphsII is described by its creator as "an easy to use program
for preparing accurate, high quality mathematical and scientific type
diagrams." To use it you first specify a layout size for the diagram.
You can then specify what should be done with the x and y axis, whether
tick marks should be drawn, if numerals should be placed along the axes
and at which tick marks. You can then plot graphs of functions, graphs
of polar coordinate functions, graphs of parametrized curves, direction
fields, vector fields, and histograms. You can combine as many of these
objects as you need. You can also create diagrams with shaded regions
between a curve and the x axis or between two curves, or inside a
polygon. You can specify points to plot along a graph or draw a
tangent line at a specified point. All objects can be drawn with
different colors or gray scales if you want, or at different line
widths. The program will also draw solution curves to differential
equations and to autonomous 2x2 systems of differential equations.

A postscript language description of the diagram is generated when you
save a file or copy the drawing to the clipboard. You can paste the
diagram into a word processor and have it print using the postscript
code for very nice looking output. You can also save the file in EPS
form or Adobe Illustrator form, in which case you can then fine tune
the diagram or edit it using Illustrator or Freehand. I haven't tried
this latter option since I don't own Adobe Illustrator, but apparently
many of the beta testers used the program in just this way to produce
diagrams for textbooks. I've been using it with Word to produce
diagrams for my exams, homework problems, and class notes.

While many of these same objects could also be drawn using a program
like Mathematica, this program only costs $79.99 and is very easy to
use. The program is available from MaryAnn Software, 53 Los Pinos,
Nicasio, CA 94946. Telephone is 415-662-2486. The programmer's name is
John Jacob. I believe a demo disk is available for about $5 which can
be applied to the purchase price. If you call or write, tell John you
read about the program on Usenet.

If you have questions about the program, please email them to me
at riddle@mathcs.emory.edu and I will try to answer as best I can.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this program and only met
John Jacob for 15 minutes at the math meeting in January. I have been a
satisfied user of the program, however, and would like to see John
succeed in this venture so that he will be able to continue adding new
features to the program.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1991 17:15 EST
From: Rashi <KMR91%GENESEO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Serious HyperCard Problem.

        My equipment is a IIci with 4 Megs, an 80 meg hard drive using the built
in color. I am writting scripts for a National Instruments IEEE-488 board
that occupies one of the slots. I am using ScriptEdit to do all editing and
using System 6.0.7.
        My problem is that when I try to open the stack I have been working on
it either starts to open and returns to the finder, or displays a message box
saying "Can't open stack "name". File is busy." The only way out is either the
OK button presented or when that is locked out, restarting. When I press the OK
button I either go to the finder or home card. There seems to be no pattern.
        I have been getting some strange bomb boxs lately, but attributed it
to buggy scripts. The error messages are "Coproccessor not installed", "Illegal
Instruction" or "Heap collision with Stack."
        I have run Disinfectent 2.4 and found nothing. Norton Tools and
MacTools both say the file and harddrive is fine. I have tried to reinstall
Hypercard, but the error still happens. I have also tried to go back to 2.0,
but, still errors.
        I have also tried to edit the stack script from the home card, but I get
"Can't open Script editor." This remote editing works on other stacks. I have
tried this with and without ScriptEdit.
        Is there anyway to say this stack? If anyone has ANY insight into this
please respond directly to me as soon as possible!!! This stack is my grade for
a directed study that I need to graduate.

Keith Rachunok
SUNY @ Geneseo.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 11:17:41 -0900
From: "Lewis Overton"  <SNALO%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SLIP for Mac

>  Does anyone know of a SLIP implementation for the Mac?

MacWorld, January 1991, page 207, reviews TCP/CONNECT II 1.0, which
includes SLIP and SNMP support. It's somewhat pricey (list is $295). I
don't know about street prices. If anyone has experience with this
product, I would like to hear their opinions.

  Lewis Overton, SNALO@alaska.bitnet or SNALO@orca.alaska.edu

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 91 23:38 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: StyleWriter and Rotated Text

>I am about to purchase a StyleWriter. From some preliminary test I
>noticed that rotated text is printed with the resolution of the screen
>instead of with TrueType/360dpi resolution. What am I doing wrong, or is
>this a common problem ? If so, will it be solved in future StyleWriter
>drivers ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>Daniel van Kraalingen, kraalingen@cabo.agro.nl

Since TrueType does not do text rotation, this is a function of your
application, not the StyleWriter driver or TrueType. If applications wish to
rotate TrueType text, they may do so, but they'll have to be aware that with
high-resolution printers, the text must be rotated after it is rendered at
printer resolution. Your application is copying a screen-resolution bitmap of
the previously rotated text onto the page being imaged.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 17:54:25 edt
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: System hangs at times for SE/30

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>At times, when I boot my SE/30, my cursor gets locked, and I always have to
>reboot it.  What is the cause of this?  Could it be an INIT, a virus, or what?
>Any comments is appreciated.

If you are using the Kensington Turbo-Mouse, I have noticed this too.
The interesting thing is, that when this happens (infrequently) the
mouse still works--But my PowerKey doesn't.  This leads me to believe
that it's an ADB problem with the Mac only recognizing the mouse &
Keyboard.

	-=Alan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 11:12:34 -0900
From: "Lewis Overton"  <SNALO%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Using MSWord 4.0 Glossary

Joe Chou <CTCHOU@KODAK.COM> commented about the difficulty of using
Word's glossary with the mouse. I agree, but there is another way.

To access the glossary in Microsoft Word 4.0, press command-delete. You
can type a mnemonic (followed by return) for your glossary term (which
you define when you create the term), and Word will insert the term in
your text.  It's easy and fast for frequently used terms.

Date: Wed, 01 May 91 18:52:25 -0700
From: proteus@medisg.stanford.edu
Subject: VGA for SI

There has been a good deal of conversation here regarding VGA monitors
for use with the LC. In this light, does anybody have any
knowledge/comments/experience with regard to VGA compatibility with
the SI? Would I need to buy a special video card to display 256
colors? Also, would it be significantly slower if I were to
substitute, say, an 13" VGA for the Apple 13" color monitor? Finally,
would I still get WYSIWYG?

Thanks very much. E-mail replies are preferred; I will summarize to
the net to reduce bboard traffic.

Gregg L. Kasten

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 15:34:37 -0700
From: John Peterson <jp@apple.com>
Subject: Wallpaper for the Mind on Mac+/SE

Unfortunatly somebody discovered the recently posted Wallpaper for the Mind
(v 1.1) doesn't run on the Mac Plus or SE running pre-7.0 software.  If you
find it dies with an undefined trap (Bomb #12) on these machines, try the
following patch:

Using a tool such as Fedit, search for the hex number A05D (there's only
one of them).  Change this to 4E71.

(Or better yet, upgrade to 7.0!  : ))

Cheers,
jp

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 09:57:01 -0600
From: daspit%zodiac@johns.Stanford.EDU (John Daspit, C.U. LASP, (303)492-6951)

Hi,
	I would greatly appreciate any comments pro or con from anyone
who has either a RasterOps ColorCAD #228  or a Radius #0031/#0242 or #0040
8-bit color display system for the Mac II, as we (Univ. of Colorado) are
trying to decide which of the two to purchase. Any general comments about
the RasterOps or Radius companies, product reliability/user support are
also welcome. Thanks very much.

John Daspit, University of Colorado LASP, Bitnet: DASPIT@COLOLASP

End of Info-Mac Digest