info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/05/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat,  4 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 101

Today's Topics:

      'Obscure virus problem' SOLVED!
      About JPEG... (Info-Mac Digest V9 #98)
      coprocessors
      dBASE file access from custom Mac program
      HELP!!!
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #100
      Info-Micro subscriptions
      init for ps password protection?
      MacBugs
      Obscure virus problem (I think) with a Mac SE...
      Postscript tricks
      proposal: sharing purchasing experience
      Removable media & AppleShare
      Ruler problems in Word 4.0
      SE Accelerator Boards
      Solarian under 6.0.7
      start on mac programming
      System 6.0.7 Compatibility
      tape drive summary
      thanks
      Using an IBM monitor
      Using Internal as External Drive
      VGA on the IIsi
      Word crashes...

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 03 May 91 13:43:15 BST
From: Ciaran O'Rourke <SCP23021%IRTCCARL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 'Obscure virus problem' SOLVED!

Hi again,

     Thanks to Jim Amundson and Ed Bolson (and anyone else whose replies
I haven't received yet) for clearing up the mystery surrounding my
'virus'. It seems that what caused the hard disk name to become a string
of '-' was simply my '-' key getting stuck or a book lying on the tab
key while the Mac was starting up. Facade hasn't been able to restore my
hard-disk globe icon because it examines disk names to determine which
disk to put the icon on. Since my hard disk name has changed, Facade
doesn't know that it's that disk that should have the icon.

 As Jim Amundson said in his reply to me :
 >99.999999% of virus reports have nothing to do with viruses.

 Thanks again,
 Ciaran O'Rourke
 <SCP23021@IRTCCARL>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991 09:58-EDT
From: Tom.Lane@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: About JPEG... (Info-Mac Digest V9 #98)

> I'm very interested in the algorithm of JPEG, can anyone
> be so kind to explain it to me or tell me where can I find
> some infomation about it?

The April 1991 issue of Communications of the ACM has an excellent
article describing JPEG image compression (and another one on MPEG,
the related motion-picture compression standard).  This should be
readily available in any technical library.

If you are looking for actual software, commercial implementations
are starting to pop up.  Both pure software and hardware-addon solutions
are available (the hardware-assisted ones are much faster, of course).
The names C-cube, Radius, and Storm Technology come to mind; Kodak
also has a version (incompatible with everyone else's, unfortunately).

I've organized a group of volunteers that is working on a free
implementation, but it'll probably not be ready for a while yet.

--
			tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu	BITNET: tgl%cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma

------------------------------

Date: Fri, May 3, 1991 8:40:17 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: coprocessors

coprocessors

> sigh...i wish i had thought about this before i bought MY 2si.
> anyways, to the questions at hands.  a math coprocessor would probably
> only speed up the 2si if you're going to be using math intensive
> programs like excel, etc.

Well, that's true on PCs (where programs often don't support the coprocessor
anyway, so it wouldn't make any difference), but on the Mac a lot of programs
will get some use from the math coprocessor because dealing with graphics
requires calculation, which speeds up with the coprocessor. Without the
coprocessor, the IIsi is slightly slower than the SE/30 - with it, it's faster,
or at least that's been my experience, whatever that's worth.

cheers .... Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991 09:52 CDT
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: dBASE file access from custom Mac program

I need to write a small database program on the Mac.  Does anyone know of a
PD or SW library/source code package for the Mac that reads/writes dBASE
files?  Or maybe one for the PC that can easily be ported?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Brian Roden
BPRODEN@UALR.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991 16:03 PDT
From: JBAYER@scuacc.scu.edu
Subject: HELP!!!

I hope you can help me no one at my school can since they (Santa Clara) do not
support macs.

I would like to know how I would go about downloading and uploading to and
>From my mac to my school's vax.  I have a mac se and I use quick link II as
my communication software.  My school has a vax 8650 and uses Kermit as its
protocal for up/down-loading.

I have tried to use the kermserve program, but it leaves my computer frozen, it
asks for an "escape sequence to revert control to you PC", needless to say I
have no idea what escape sequence it is asking for since I can go back to my
mac at will.  This is as far as I can get, the computer at school will not let
me out so I am stuck with a frozen screen.  I have tried to force an upload
using kermit protocal but to no avail.

Please help

Desparate Law Student

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 May 91 09:17:31 CST
From: Bill Hayes <IANR012%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #100

The issue of Token Ring and Ethernet is largely artificial, contrived
by those who are afraid of NEW technology.  I'm happily using token ring
on Macs in a largely blue shop.  What do I care if it gets me to what I
want to do and where I want to go?  I can store files and programs on
MS-DOS file servers, print to Postscript laser printers on MS-DOS servers,
and send PICT files to film recorders on MS-DOS machines.  I can log on
to Big Blue Mainframes, and I understand TCP/IP software is around the
corner. There are routers which can let me pass freely between Ethernet
and Token Ring nets.
If you really WANT to know about Macs and token ring I'll be delighted
to post vendor names, addresses, etc.  Otherwise spare me the bigotry.
Ethernet and Token Ring work, so it's largely a local issue.  Go with
whatever is most cost effective for your location.  But don't defame
something which works, just to play office politics!
In case you haven't figured out, I'm pretty steamed!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991  17:47 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>

This posting:
 ------------
Date: Thu, 02 May 91 08:17:43 EST
>From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Murph's VAPORWARE column for May 1991
To: Macintosh Digest <Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>

The May column is now in the /digest/ subdirectory at sumex-aim and in
the shadow archives on LISTERV@RICEVM1.Rice.Edu

Those of you who find retrieving the column from the archives inconvenient
may wish to subscribe to info-micro@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil (a digest
also available from the LISTSERV systems as DIST-MIC)  It's a low
volumn list (four or five digests a month, usually smaller than a
typical info-mac digest - the column makes it noticeably fatter :-)

[Archived as /digest/vaporware-05-91.txt; 16K]

---

Has resulted in a flood of 12 requests so far - posted directly to the
Info-Micro main mailing list.  I wish you had included instructions on
how to subscribe.

Subscription requests should go to:

   Info-Micro-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

Please post a correction in the next Mac Digest.

--Keith Petersen
  Info-Micro mailing list maintainer

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 May 91 17:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gregory S. Fox" <gf0c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: init for ps password protection?

  Does anyone have an init for protecting the password of
postscript printers under the print server?  [Please pardon
my alliteration].  I'll summarize meaningful reponses.

Thanks!
--Greg
(gf0c@andrew.cmu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 2 May 91 21:40:22 GMT
From: jims@momenta.com (Jim Straus)
Subject: MacBugs

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>   Hello, does anyone have a tutorial about MacBugs, or does anyone want to
>tell me how it exactly works? Write to me since I seem to get the list cut up
>into chunks and miss lots of it, thanks in advance. Also how is 7.0 going to
>treat printing, in other words I heard that it will be possible to send Post
>script files easier (ie Downloader)than it has been. How will fonts be treated,
>I work as an image setter and often have problems with font incompatibility,
>is it true that Suitcases II will no longer work with 7.0, if this is the case
>what are the alternatives?

Check out Addison Wesley's new book "Debugging Macintosh Software with MacsBug".
It just came out and includes MacsBug 6.2 (which is 7.0 compatible).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 13:25:15 PDT
From: 6500erik%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Erik Adams)
Subject: Obscure virus problem (I think) with a Mac SE...

I have heard that facade will not work if you change the name
of the disk:  the disk's name must be the same as when you originally
set up facade, or the new icon won't be there.  I don't know if
this is true, since I don't use facade, but I have heard something
like it.

As far as the problem goes, it sounds an awful lot like a keyboard
problem:  you selected the disk with something leaning on the "-"
key of the keyboard, so it changed the name.

I don't have you letter in front of me:  have you tried changing
the name back to what it was?

Erik

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 May 1991 07:27:59 CDT
From: mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS)
Subject: Postscript tricks

In article <9104280522.AA14772@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>,
rocket!cory@uunet.uu.net (Cory Myers) writes:

>I am trying to get SendPS (version 2.22) to talk to a CAP LaserWriter
>server (lwsrv).  The postscript file sends just fine but then prints
>out as if I had done an "lpr" of a postscript file.  The problem seems
>to be that the file sent by SendPS does not begin with %! and the Unix
>printing software assumes that if it gets an input without this prefix
>then it should think it is a text file and print it.
>
>I can work around the problem by capturing the postscript file on the
>Unix machine after it has been sent by SendPS and editing it to have a
>%! prefix.  DOes anyone have a better solution?  Thanks in advance.

You might try including a PREC 103 resource that contains the %!. Basically,
the LaserWriter driver prepends anything it finds in a PREC 103 to the
postscript it generates. The resource needs to be in the resource hierarchy of
the application that is doing the printing (not SendPS, as this is just passing
text via PAP without using the LaserWriter driver). Thus, it could be in the
resource fork of the document or of the application. Note that this is not
"safe as milk"; it is always possible that something downstream from where you
put your PREC will need one as well, and also it is concievable that the %!
prefix could cause problems when going to some device.

Having said this, here is a rez file that could solve your problem:

type 'PREC' {
	string;
};

resource 'PREC' (103) {
		"%!This is some stuff in my PREC 103"
};

Now I put this in a copy of Microsoft Word and grab the postscript:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Title: Untitled1
%%Creator: Copy of Microsoft Word
%%CreationDate: 02 May 1991
%%Pages: (atend)
%%BoundingBox: ? ? ? ?
%%PageBoundingBox: 17 7 593 783
%%For: Jeff E Mandel
%%IncludeProcSet: "(AppleDict md)" 70 0
%%EndComments
%%EndProlog
%%BeginDocumentSetup
md begin
%!This is some stuff in my PREC 103
T T 0 0 1008 748 -10 -23 1018 771 77 72 72 1 F F F F T F T F psu
(Jeff E Mandel; document: Untitled1)jn
0 mf
od
%%EndDocumentSetup

Now you notice the PREC 103 is in the document setup. You also note that Word
has properly put a postscript prolog on the document, starting with the %!.
Thus, I am not at all clear that this will solve your problem, in that the
LaserWriter driver should put the prolog there for you (That's what I get for
starting to write this before testing my solution). In any event, I've probably
show everyone a neat postscript trick, so all is not lost.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 May 91 22:25:15 EDT
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK%UORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: proposal: sharing purchasing experience

I have just gone through the tedious process of shopping around for
hardware for my mac.  In doing so I learned a lot about various products
and companies.  No doubt many of you have climbed the same learning curve.
I would like to propose that we develop a way to share this infomation.

My original idea was to propose a digest list like info-mac for this
sort of information, but who would want to read that every week?  And the
archives would be cumbersome and disorderly.  Perhaps an alternative would
be workable and useful.  Someone could volunteer to accept messages relating
to customer support, product satisfaction, etc, then monthly they would
summarize the responses about various products and companies and post it
to infomac.  I'm not proposing an elaborate consolidation of product reviews
that would require a lot of editing.  An example of an entry in the summary
might be:

HARD DISK DRIVES
Hard Drive International (HDI) --
1.  "After two weeks of 'it should ship this afternoon' I cancelled my order
for a Quantum 105 external.  If time is important, I would stay away from
HDI"  Kirke Lawton LAWK@vm.cc.rochester.edu
2.  "The drive I ordered arrived when promised, works well and was very cheap"
Fictitious product reviewer (anonymous)

Now, wouldn't that be very helpful?

Could this sort of thing be done?  Any volunteers?  Send your comments to
me or to the list.

Kirke B. Lawton
lawk@uorvm.bitnet       or   lawk@vm.cc.rochester.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991 15:50:45 PDT
From: CHUCKM@ucrac1.ucr.edu (Chuck McDaniels, UCR Academic Computing)
Subject: Removable media & AppleShare

Hi:

We have three computer labs which have Macs networked using AppleShare.
In two of these labs, we also want to provide CD-ROM and Bernoulli access to
all the Macs in the network.

It seems, though, that there would be a problem in making these available to
all machines... We recently acquired a MicroNet 315 330MB hard drive, and to
have the server recognize it, and permit the network to use it, we had to

a) shut down the server
b) boot the server from a floppy
c) power up the MicroNet drive
d) run AppleShare Admin on the server

This worked fine, since we won't be changing the name of the MicroNet drive.
However, I don't believe this would work with the CD or Bernoulli, since
faculty would (presumably) be encouraged to bring in their own software on
CD's or Bernoulli's.  We wouldn't know what volume name would be assigned to
these removable disks.

Would we have to go through the shut-down/re-boot/AS Admin cycle each time
a faculty member wanted to use his/her own removable disk on the network?
Or, is there another way to permit AppleShare to recognize these removable
volumes, no matter what the name of each happens to be.

Thanks in advance for any help; please reply through e-mail, and I'll
summarize to INFO-MAC/comp.sys.mac.digest presently.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 09:57:41 CDT
From: allan%chem.nwu.edu@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: Ruler problems in Word 4.0

>One of the secretarys at work has experienced a problem with Word 4.
>When she opens the ruler - there is a system failure with ID 4.  I
>replaced the Word files but she still has the same problem.

Try deleting the Word Settings file from the System Folder.  This
often does the trick.

David Allan
Department of Chemistry
Northwestern University
allan@chem.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 17:48:09 -0400
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: SE Accelerator Boards

Does anyone have experience with accelerator boards for the SE?  Do they
really work?  How well?  What's the best kind?  What's the best value for
the money?

All opinions gratefully received.  Thanks.

	Bob

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 91 05:43:05 GMT
From: cdlee@rpi.edu (CHUNDA LEE)
Subject: Solarian under 6.0.7

In article <19-9104280556.AA15233@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu> writes:
>This is a post for another person...
>vvvvv
>Are there problems with running Solarian under 6.0.7?  It bombs right away on
>my IIsi.
>^^^^^
>
>-Tom
>
>[I have run it successfully under 6.0.7 on my fx.  -- Jon]

There are problems for IIsi running Solarian. You need run new version Solarian II, that will work.

CD LEE, cdlee@rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991 20:01:56 GMT
From: hui@landau.uchicago.edu (Hui Dong)
Subject: start on mac programming

    I am begining to learn write program on mac using think C, I know C and
am a experienced user of mac, what's the best book to look at which begins
at starting level but be complete, i.e. all the "managers" and tricks etc.?

------------------------------

Date: 04 May 91 00:01 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: System 6.0.7 Compatibility

I thought the net may be interested in a communication put out by Apple
Worldwide Product Marketing with regard to problems that have been attributed
to SSW 6.0.7. The text below is an official statement, but please be aware that
I as an individual am not responsible for any of it. I am simply passing it on
in the interest of keeping users informed. Thus, if anyone out there is unhappy
with this statement, please confine your flaming to the world at large and not
me personally. Please don't shoot the messenger.

pat

6.0.7/CPU Investigation Summary - 4/30/91

Our continued investigation into reported "bugs" with SSW 6.0.7 has shown that
6.0.7 is a very stable release. Initial investigations showed that other issues
were causing false concerns with 6.0.7 and this continued investigation has
proven this again. Any problems we have found have not been attributable to
6.0.7 but were caused by other issues.

This document summarizes the information that we have discovered on these non
6.0.7 issues. Please pass this information on to anyone who is doubtful about
6.0.7. We have seen many instances where incorrect information has lead to a
lack of confidence in 6.0.7 where in fact these were problems having nothing to
do with the software.

Quick Summary
 ------------

There has been a significant decrease in "rumoured" 6.0.7 problems since
investigation began. Issues that have been reported are mainly due to the
following reasons:

 1. Hardware related: faulty third party 2MB SIMMs
 2. Confusing "Co-processor not installed" message
 3. Caused by incompatible or old revisions of software
 4. Cases caused by systems infected with the WDEF virus.

These four issues constitute most of the questions that concern 6.0.7.

Issues
------

o Bad third Party 2M SIMMS

We have seen quite a few systems whose problems have been attributable to bad
3rd party 2 Mb SIMMs from different developers. If you have third party 2 Mb
SIMMs and are experiencing problems, please contact the developer for more
information.

Investigations showed that pulling out the SIMMs would cause the problems to
disappear.

Initial Problem:
IIsi system from an Apple account has bad third party 2MB SIMMs that have a
critical logic error.  Engineering feels sure that the problems reported by
this account are due to these 2MB SIMMs. Removing these SIMMS solved the
problems.

The failures were three system hangs and one "No Co-Processor found".

o "coprocessor not installed" message

In most cases, this error message under 6.0.7 is erroneous and has nothing to
do with whether a math coprocessor is installed or not.

This error message appears when an invalid f-trap instruction is encountered
and can occur when an application inadvertantly gets trashed, or when debug
code is left by accident in an application.  In previous versions of system
software, an "ID=10" error message would have been displayed.

In System 7, this error message is replaced by "Bad F-Line Instruction".

Initial Problem and explanation:
In pre-6.0.7 versions of the system software when a system error occurred the
message "Sorry, a system error occurred.   ID = xx" would be put up by the
system.  In 6.0.7 the "ID = xx" part of the message has been replaced by a
specific message (in cases where the system error code is not one of the
standard error messages the default message "error type = xx" is put up
instead).

"Sorry, a system error occurred.  ID = 10" is now replaced by "Sorry, a system
error occurred.  Coprocessor not installed" in 6.0.7.

System error 10 is generated whenever an invalid f-trap instruction is
encountered.  If a valid f-trap instruction is made and no floating point
coprocessor is installed then the exception handler generates system error 90,
"floating point coprocessor not installed".

How this error message can be generated:

1. Any applications that have not taken out all of their debug code have
   the potential of causing this message to appear.

2. Programmers that have the habit of handling errors by dropping into
   the debugger via an f-trap have the potential of causing this message
   to appear in their programs.

3. An application that inadvertantly gets trashed with $Fxxx somewhere
   in that application's code segment could cause this message to appear
   if that code were to then be executed.

o Classic and Drive Problems

No further problem reports of this kind.

Initial Problem:
A problem reported with a Macintosh Classic that when installed with the FDHD
6.0.7 set of disks would crash on boot and when installed with the 800k set of
disks would boot just fine. It turned out that when you installed MacsBug with
the 800k install this would also crash the system on boot.

Investigation from both hardware and software engineering showed that the hard
disk in this Classic had a timing problem.

o Compatibility Issues

Compatibility with System Software 6.0.7 has been extremely good but as with
any software release there are certain compatibility issues.

Please check compatibility lists or check with developers for up to date
compatibility information.

o WDEF Virus

We have found that the WDEF virus is incompatible with 6.0.7 and will cause
serious system crashes.  We recommend that users run Disinfectant 2.4 on any
system suspected of being infected.

Thank you,

World Wide Product Marketing
Engineering Project Management

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 May 91 11:23:43 EDT
From: stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (James Stricherz)
Subject: tape drive summary

The following is a summary of responses to my tape drive inquiry:
 --------------------------------------

I'm very satisfied with my TEAC drive. MacUser did a review of tape drives
last year and said that the TEAC drives were uniformly good so you basically
shop for price and support. I got mine from Ruby Systems (It's a Stardrive
150TX) and it's not given me any trouble.

Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that
  Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax | way."                   - Harry Poindexter

   You should start with the software!  Find the backup software that
will work for you and THEN find out which tape drives it supports.

   One word of worning, you should not get a tape drive which will not
be able to contain the contents of your entire disk. Tape drives are SLOW
and if you have to watch it (as opposed to starting the backup before you
go to sleep, go golfing, etc.).

   If you have the money, check out the DAT tapes.  They are neet!
--
      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \

For a drive in that size-range, I'd suggest one of the Teac streaming-
tape drives.  These use a 150-meg tape cassette (physically almost identical
in appearance to an audio cassette).  With suitable backup software
(e.g. ExpressTape, APB Backup, Retrospect) it's possible to back up
your disk at speeds of 4-5 megabytes/minute.  The tapes cost
between $15 and $25, depending on brand and vendor.  The drives have
built-in error detection/correction... they check blocks as they're
written, and automatically rewrite "on the fly" any blocks that don't
verify correctly.  During readback, they'll re-read a faulty block up to
15 times, and if they still can't read it correctly they'll use some
error-correction-code techniques to salvage the contents of the faulty
block.

These drives are available for $550-$800, depending on vendor and software.
The bundle I'd currently recommend is offered by APS... they're selling the
drive with a copy of Retrospect (very flexible backup/archiving software)
for $629 (I think... their ads are in MacWeek/User/World).

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
                    UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

Whatever you do don't get the Apple tape drive. Talk about
slow! Take a look in some back issues of MacUser for a
definitve review of tape drives. DO GET RETROSPECT as
your backup and archival program. Beleive me, I have bought
every backup program sold for the Mac and nothing else compares.
---
# Dave Carlton		      # sactoh0.SAC.CA.US           #
#                             # UUCP=..ames!pacbell!sactoh0 #
########################################################*****

=========

In the end, I got a Teac 150mb tape drive bundled with Retrospect &
cable from APS for $599+shipping+extra tape($24). I never did believe
the 4-5mb/min transfer rates advertised - but now I do!!! It took 25
minutes to archive (uncompressed) 112.8mb - 4+mb/minute. Retrospect is
great, too.

James N. Stricher
stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 May 91 11:50:45 EDT
From: Lee Hartley <N640027@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu>
Subject: thanks

Thanks to the five helpful individuals who responded to my question about crash
 problems with Word $.  I removed the Word Settings file as suggested and the p
rogram appears to work with no problems.  This is the type of assistance that m
akes a communictions network worthwhile.  Thanks again.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 13:05:38 PDT
From: marks%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu (Mark Seidenberg)
Subject: Using an IBM monitor

Can someone please tell if the IBM 8512 monitor I have can be hooked up
to a Macintosh?  How?

Could it be connected to an LC or IIsi, for example?

Thanks.

Mark Seidenberg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 14:03 EDT
From: <JFL4%PSUVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Using Internal as External Drive

This is probably in a FAQ somewhere, but I have received a
20MB Apple internal drive I'd like to donate to a school that
needs an external drive for a Plus.  Could someone point me
to an inexpensive housing that would let me use it in this way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff Luck
CES Systems Office
Penn State University

------------------------------

Date: 04 May 91 00:01 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: VGA on the IIsi

>There has been a good deal of conversation here regarding VGA monitors
>for use with the LC. In this light, does anybody have any
>knowledge/comments/experience with regard to VGA compatibility with
>the SI? Would I need to buy a special video card to display 256
>colors? Also, would it be significantly slower if I were to
>substitute, say, an 13" VGA for the Apple 13" color monitor? Finally,
>would I still get WYSIWYG?

The mac IIsi does not support VGA timing. This is only available in the LC.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 9:30:04 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Word crashes...

Lee Hartley <N640027@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu> writes:
>One of the secretarys at work has experienced a problem with Word 4.
>When she opens the ruler - there is a system failure with ID 4.  I
>replaced the Word files but she still has the same problem.  According
>to her there have been no changes to the material on the hard drive
>before the problem started.
>If you load an old file the ruler works - if you have a new screen and
>access the ruler you get a crash.
>Any suggestions on how to deal with the situation.  She is using a Plus
>with a generic hard drive.
>My only thought is to replace the system files.

Before you go and replace system/finder, try trashing the Word Settings file,
which should be in your System Folder. We had a problem somewhat like what
you describe, and that ended up being the solution. Somehow the settings file
got scrambled, and well...

                tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 13:19:31 PDT
From: gregl@freia.jpl.nasa.gov (Greg Lyzenga)

I am trying to find a small application that provides ftp *server* support
(as opposed to client) that I can leave running in the MultiFinder
background.  I can probably do most of what I want with NCSA Telnet, but
I'd prefer something smaller and that supports a larger set of ftp commands
(for example, remote delete).  Any suggestions?
                                                 - Greg Lyzenga

End of Info-Mac Digest