info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/07/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  6 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 102

Today's Topics:

      [*] 4Plus 1.4.cpt.hqx
      [*] AfterDark module: gengi -the no-muss-no-fuss-cat
      [*] BeepFlashToo
      [*] Blackjack Trainer
      [*] BoDiddly font
      [*] Floating Windows Code!
      [*] mcvert 1.6
      [*] Report: Using TrueType and Bitmapped fonts on the Imagewriter
      [*] Satellite 3D demo
      Arbitrary LaserWriter Page Sizes
      BDT Sheetfeeders
      CHINESE TALK
      Figures in OzTeX
      I am having problems Installing Aldus FreeHand 3.0 under System 7.0b4.
      IIsi speed
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #99
      Item for comp.sys.mac.digest
      Kermit file transfer tool?
      Mac IIsi speed
      MacTCP
      MS Word 4.0 crashes
      Need help with Appleworks to Mac to Ascii
      nil pointers debugging
      Printing under A/UX
      Problems with Word 4.00B
      Scheduler stack
      Sending e-mail to Genie from Bitnet
      sid
      Signatures for Apple letter
      Solarian on IIsi
      TCP/IP Server cdev in VersaTerm PRO
      TURBO PASCAL
      Versaterm Professional

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 10:58:58 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: [*] 4Plus 1.4.cpt.hqx

I'm not the author of this INIT. I just downloaded it from BIX. Please, send
your fees to:

         Donald Way
         109 4th Street
         Hoboken, NJ  07030

4Plus is an INIT designed to enhance the THINK C editor.  It has been written
to be compatible with THINK C 4.0, and has proven to work with the 4.0.1 and
4.0.2 maintenance releases Symantec has subsequently made available.

If you love THINK C you must try this INIT. I'm sure you will love this INIT
too.

NOTE: The first time, rename the file "About 4Plus..." to "About 4Plus.c". Open
it with THINK C and click in the content region with the option-comando-shift
modifiers. A popup-menu shows you a quick guide to this INIT.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/4-plus-14.hqx; 113K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 09:25:24 PDT
From: JMUELLER%PPL.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: [*] AfterDark module: gengi -the no-muss-no-fuss-cat

This is an entertaining little AfterDark module created by
Keith Stattenfield with icon art by Kenji Gotoh.
A tiny cat (gray on a color screen) will cavort all over a
dark background with occasional pauses to sleep, wash, stretch,
sharpen its claws on the sides of your monitor and chase the
little bluebird that passes through (the About calls it a
Norwegian Blue Parrot).
I'm just posting this after receiving it from a friend, and
thought the InfoMac world had to have it.

BinHex4'd and squashed with Compactor 1.2

Ad Astra!
Jim Mueller

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-gengi.hqx; 25K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 02:29:39 -0700
From: matthew@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Matthew Kaufman)
Subject: [*] BeepFlashToo

If you use the external audio jack on your macintosh, this
INIT might just be for you.
When installed, it causes the menu bar to flash along with the
system beep at all sound volumes... no more missing system beeps
just because the external speakers were turned off.
To keep this init from loading, hold the mouse button down while
booting.

BeepFlashToo was written one evening by Matthew Kaufman,
(matthew@ucscb.ucsc.edu) and is in the public domain. People
who like/use it are encouraged to send e-mail. Distributing
this program with its authorship information removed is rude,
so don't.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/beep-flash-too.hqx; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 19:21:29 EDT
From: Chuck Weinstock <weinstoc@sei.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] Blackjack Trainer

Here is a revised copy of Blackjack Trainer which corresponds to the
one currently being sold commerically.  Blackjack Trainer teaches
professional play of blackjack, including card counting.  In addtion
to playing the game of blackjack, it includes drilling and simulation
capabilities.  This version is a limited functionality version which
will only teach proper basic strategy play.  It is shareware.
Instructions are included.

Chuck Weinstock

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/blackjack-trainer.hqx; 64K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 22:43:50 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] BoDiddly font

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the BoDiddly
font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive containing the BoDiddly
PostScript font as it was originally received by me (bitmap, downloadable
PostScript file(s), and perhaps documentation and/or AFM files).  I've
added a suitcase file which contains a TrueType version of the font,
created by FontMonger 1.0.

Generic statement: I am not the author of this font;  I'm simply
converting it as a service to the Mac community.  I believe that it's
legitimate for me to convert and redistribute this font... if you feel
otherwise or have information to the contrary, please contact me via
email.  If this is a shareware font, please honor the author's shareware
request if you use either the PostScript or TrueType version of the
font.

---
Dave Platt

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/bo-diddly.hqx; 118K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 08:26:32 -0400
From: spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer)
Subject: [*] Floating Windows Code!

This self-extracting Compactor archive contains a THINK C v4.0
project which implements floating windows.  It was written by
Patrick Doane and downloaded from GEnie.  The author's address
on GEnie is R.DOANE.  Enjoy.

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/floating-windows.hqx; 37K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 14:12:35 EDT
From: zaccone@sol.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393)
Subject: [*] mcvert 1.6

Mcvert is a C program that will do binhex/macbinary conversions on a
Unix machine.  I think it works on VMS too.

Mcvert 1.5 didn't work properly on Sun 4's.  In particular, it bombed
with a bus error if you tried to extract the resource or data fork
>From a macbinary file.  That is, the following operations didn't work:

mcvert -Ud foo.bin
mcvert -Ur foo.bin

This was caused by a byte alignment problem.  I've fixed the problem
and I've enclosed the new version (1.6).

Rick Zaccone
zaccone@bucknell.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/mcvert-16.shar; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1991 00:21 CDT
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG@lawrence.edu>
Subject: [*] Report: Using TrueType and Bitmapped fonts on the Imagewriter

Any person curious about TrueType/MS Word/Imagewriters:

Attached is a binhexed Compactor Pro archive, entitled
TrueType-Imgwtr-bitmap-rep.cpt.  It contains an MS Word
4.0 doc that shows the differences between the TrueType
and bitmapped versions of New York, but applies for
other TrueType fonts as well when printing to an Imagewriter.
Also included is a font file that has the bitmap and
'sfnt' resources for New York, with the resources named
distictively bm for bitmap and TT for New York.

Needs: TrueType init, MS Word, and a way of using the
font resources (Suitcase II >=1.2.8, ResEdit, or other
similar [Font/DA mover WILL NOT WORK], or, of course,
System 7.)  An Imagewriter to actually see for yourself
the differences is a good idea.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/font-comparison.hqx; 94K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 23:22:02 +0200
From: GAUTHIER%frcict81.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Satellite 3D demo

Following is a demo version of Satellite 3D, an application which
creates 3D perspectives  for vectorial images created with Adobe
Illustrator* and saved as Illustrator 1.1. files.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/satellite-3d-12.hqx; 160K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 1991 09:04 EDT
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Arbitrary LaserWriter Page Sizes

WALLACE FELDMAN was asking why the LaserWriter driver won't let you define
arbitrary page sizes like the ImageWriter lets you do.  Or rather, he was
asking if there was some sneaky trick that would let you do in on a LW as well.

I've tried to think of a way to do it, but I've come to the conclusion that it
can't be done.  Here's why:  the ImageWriter is a line-oriented printer
generally designed to be fed by a continuous "stream" of paper.  "Page" to an
ImageWriter just means that after 66 lines you do a few line feeds to skip over
the preforation.  Since it advances the paper after each line is printed, it is
a simple matter to tell the printer to make the pages only 6 lines, or 12
lines, or 47 lines, or any arbitrary size.

The LaserWriter, on the other hand, is a page-oriented printer.  I can't say
for sure about non-PostScript laser printers, but the PostScript-based
LaserWriters have a "showpage" command that is executed at the end of every
page.  "Showpage" signals the printer that the page image has been completely
generated in the printer's memory; when "showpage" executes, the hardware kicks
in, grabs a piece of paper, runs it past the drum, toner, fuser, etc., and out
onto the output tray.

The point is that every time "showpage" is executed, a piece of paper is going
to go through the printer.  There is no way to have the paper go halfway
through, then stop while you generate page 2, and print page 2 on the bottom
half of the paper.  The mechanism isn't made that way.  The "Paper Jam" light
would come on, and it wouldn't print page 2 until you opened the printer and
got the half-printed page out of there.

As far as workarounds go, though, this shouldn't be too much of a problem.  A
number of database programs and mail-merge programs let you print multiple
records on a page.  I have used both 4th Dimension and Microsoft Word to do
3-up mailing labels on Avery's special laser-label paper (whatever they call
it, I forget the brand name), and I think most other programs that need odd
page sizes have some provision for "assembling" them all on one LaserWriter
page.  Anyone who has questions on exactly how to do this in Word or 4D can
Email their questions to me and I will do my best to explain the details.

Mark Nutter [manutter@grove.iup.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 May 91 19:21 CDT
From: <HARWELL%PANAM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: BDT Sheetfeeders

Has anyone had problems with BDT Sheetfeeders? We have one hooked to our
department's LaserWriter II NTX. Certain applications can CRASH the sheetfeeder
when a print job is sent. We have had bad luck with SuperPaint 2, the "Aldus"
driver under PageMaker, and now Adobe Illustrator 3. Thenthe feeder must be
turned off and on again to reset it.

Calling the company for technical support yields no results because they want
to charge an hourly rate to answer technical questions, and we cannot pay that.
A recent call to BDT to ask if they were going to be supporting System 7
printing got the following response: "What's System 7? I never heard of that."
The person I was speaking to was a salesman, who subsequently told me that if I
wanted to ask the same question of their technical staff "it was a chargeable
item."

Seems they're busy these days focusing their energies on the DOS world. Anyone
out there know anything?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 May 91 16:15:03 SST
From: F Chua <SWKCFK%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CHINESE TALK

      I have been using the Chinese System v4.3 for two years
now.  I have learned to live with its inadequacies.  However,
it does not work with the IIsi or the Classic (or I presume,
the LC).  Is a new Chinese system available, yet? (In fact,
is there a Chinese system 6.0.x available ?  The Technical
Support CD that I got - gratis - from Apple has the 4.3 version
and the CD is dated April 1990!) I need the Chinese operating
system and not a Chinese word-processing package as I am doing
some work in experimental psycholinguistics.
      Also, I'd like to know is whether Chinese laser fonts are
available.
      Please write to me direct.  My bitnet address is
swkcfk@nusvm.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 08:06:15+010
From: Alfonso Fuggetta - CEFRIEL <alfonso@ercole.cefriel.it>
Subject: Figures in OzTeX

Dear netters,

I have been using OzTeX (ver. 1.3) for almost six month. I still have a
problem I already raised a few months ago: it is very difficult (at least
to me) to include figures in LaTeX.

I was able to do that only with MacDraw vers. 1.9.5: if I use MacDraw II or
Canvas 2.0, the resulting figures (generated via command-F) have a huge
magnification and go outside paper margins.

Moreover, I am not able to include EPSF figures, generated, for example, by
Cricket Draw or Freehand: what I obtain is a "clean, white page". I must
say that I have already checked the version of my Laserprep with the one
(modified) used by OzTeX.

Can anyone help me? I think that there should be a way to easily produce
figures that can be printed from within OzTeX (MacDraw is not a
satisfactory solution).

Thank you for your attention,

Alfonso Fuggetta

P.S.:
Please reply at alfonso@mailer.cefriel.it or alfonso@imicefr.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 12:34:47 GMT-12:00
From: David Richards <DAVID@wcc.govt.nz>
Subject: I am having problems Installing Aldus FreeHand 3.0 under System 7.0b4.

Has anybody tried to install Aldus FreeHand 3.0 under System 7.0b4?

I tried to install it, when the Aldus Installer asks for "Disk 2" to be
inserted another dialog box appears [I don't think it's from the Aldus
Installer] telling me to insert "Disk 1".  When I insert disk 1, I am asked to
insert disk 2, but the disk isn't ejected.  I have tried to insert disk 2 when
asked for disk 1, but it is ejected and disk 1 is requested.

Any ideas? ...

David
P.S. My return address is screwed, please SEND not REPLY, to "david@ccc.govt.nz"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 May 91 10:37:12 EDT
From: Pam Norton            <BI599023@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: IIsi speed

    I just thought I'd add my 2 cents on the issue of the IIsi being "slow".
My IIsi with math co-processor is nearly as fast as my IIci overall.  The
co-processor is not just for number crunching.  Check out the December 90
issue of MacUser for their comments on IIsi performance with/without FPU,
then go out and buy an FPU, not more memory.

   Oh, and I know, turning of the color speeds things up, but I like the
color.  It's more fun that way.

   Pam Norton   BI599023@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 May 91 09:49:05 CDT
From: John Venable <JMVENABL%SAMFORD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #99

I noticed that a tidbit is being advertised reviewing and describing PC-Access.
I also noticed that the table of contents included sections for installing
the program.  My question is: why include installation information, unless
to assist those who are pirating the software?

John Venable
Samford University
Birmingham AL 35229
(205) 870-2685
BITNET JMVENABL@SAMFORD

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 May 91 23:15:57 EDT
From: dlc@ais.org (David Claytor)
Subject: Item for comp.sys.mac.digest

I have encountered an incompatibility between DiskTop 4.0.1 and Flashwrite ][1.2which I am curious if anyone else can confirm.  Specifically, it seems that
DT Launch (part of the DiskTop Extras) disables the "hot key" access to
Flashwrite ][.  DiskTop and Flashwrite ][ still functio as Ds, but once
DT Launch is activated, Flashwrite ][ can no longer be accessed with a "hot
key."  I am running system 6.0.5 and finder 6.1.5 with a variety of inits
and CDEVS and Suitcase II 1.2.9.  I tried using MacroMaker as a go around for
the "hot key," but DiskTop 4.0.1 conflicted with that, too.

--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 1991 17:50:33 GMT
From: lipa@neon.stanford.edu (William J. Lipa)
Subject: Kermit file transfer tool?

Are there any file transfer tools available for the Communications Toolbox
that support Kermit? I need to be able to transfer files from a DEC under
program control from the Mac, and the only communication package the DEC has
is Kermit.

Bill Lipa
lipa@neon.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  5 May 91 10:39:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Jae W. Chang" <jc7j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Mac IIsi speed

Excerpts From Captions of internet.info-mac:
 3-May-91  Mac IIsi speed                 Darryl "NOT S. Lee@ucsbu (2765)
>Better yet, get the way cool fKey named Switcheroo (available on both
>of the aforementioned ftp archives) v.1.6 (well, i'm not sure what's
>the lowest version that works, but 1.6 works for me) and let your
>shift-command-whatever keys do the work, instead of having to go to
>the control panel.  It's darned convenient when i'm working on
>illustrator to be able to move semi-fast in b&w keyline mode, then get
>a preview and switch to color/greyscale.

    Another option for changing graphics modes on the fly without having
to go to the control panel is an init called DepthGuage. It doesn't just
switch from B/W to color but also to any 1,2,4,8 bit mod color or B/W.

Jae

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 May 91 11:37:31 CDT
From: ECPKLINE%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MacTCP

Hello Netters: I am summarizing to the net concerning my question
on MACTCP. It seems that MacTcp is commercial and available
>From apple at the address below. It maybe best to attempt
 to get your school or organization to get a site liscense.
MacTCP is a site-licensed product.  To order MacTCP, contact:

     Software Licensing Department
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     10431 De Anza Blvd., M/S 381
     Cupertino, CA 95014

I do not know much more than this so good luck and
don t quote me on any of this I am just relaying
what was told to me.
Good Luck and happy hunting.
Jeff Kline ecpkline@UMCVMB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 May 91 21:19:12 EDT
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: MS Word 4.0 crashes

This might help the person(s) having crashes with his or her MS Word 4.0.

A while back, Word would consistently crash when I was previewing a document,
and always at the same page.  I called Microsoft support, and the guy on the
other line had me save the file as RTF, read it back, then save again as
Normal.  Word stopped crashing.  The tech support fellow said that if you have
a corrupt file (for whatever reason), usually saving a file as RTF and then as
Normal "filters" the file, cleans it up.

I hope this helps...

						Hisham.

Bitnet: ABBOUD@CUA              Internet: ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 5 May 91 02:49:00 EST
From: "DAVID BALCOM" <dbalcom@gmuvax.gmu.edu>
Subject: Need help with Appleworks to Mac to Ascii

Could someone please help me?  I have a 3.5" floppy disk full of a year's
worth of writing that I would love to get at.  The problem is that all of
the files were composed in Appleworks on an Apple IIc+.  The ORIGINAL
version 1.0 of Appleworks (goes back to '83 or '84 I think).  What I
want to do is someone use a Mac as a platform to go from ProDos to Mac
to IBM ascii, as my current machine is a Toshiba laptop.  Can the new
Superdrives read Appleworks files or not?  If so, can it perform the
necessary conversions to get to IBM ascii format?  If not, can you offer
any alternative suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

David Balcom
Fairfax, VA
Internet: dbalcom@gmuvax.gmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 May 91 21:18:02 EDT
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: nil pointers debugging

Hi there,

Someone mentioned a couple of months ago an INIT that helps with debugging nil
pointer dereferences (named "Mr. something" if I recall?).  Anyone knows of
this INIT?

Thanks.

Date: 6 May 91 09:15:00 CDT
From: dstewart@dallas.rockwell.com
Subject: Printing under A/UX

Hello - I wonder if anyone has any experience with printing under A/UX
using an HP DeskWriter.  I have v2.1 (or maybe v2.0) of the HP driver,
and select it with the Chooser.  When I print something using the Unix
lp command, I get a page of ink printed out.  When I try to print from
a Mac application, everything freezes after it says "Sending output to
Printer."

I've setup using lpadmin (for AT&T print facility) and have lpsched
running.  Also, are the Berkeley facilities better?  I've read conflicting
reports, one of which praises the Berkeley print facilities, another calls
them "flakey."

Any help would be appreciated.  I don't have the Apple manuals, but it
seems this shouldn't be too difficult to get setup!

Thanks,
Dan Stewart
Rockwell Int'l
dstewart@dlvax3.dallas.rockwell.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 May 91 17:28:05 CDT
From: jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu (Jeff Wolman)
Subject: Problems with Word 4.00B

I have been having problems recently with my copy of Word. 4.00B.  Whenever
I run the program, it will come up with an alert box with the message:
	"No more room on menu"
and an OK button.  It will put up another alert box with the same message,
and then the program will work without a problem.  When it puts up this
alert box, it has constructed the entire (or almost the entire menu bar, as
I'm not sure at this exact moment) menu bar.  The only programs that I have
loaded that deal with the menu bar are SuperClock 3.9 (even when I don't load
it on startup or hide it from the menu bar, it doesn't change) and PopChar 1.5.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be occuring?  Should I trash my copy
of the Word Settings file (I have a lot of customizations that I really don't
want to trash)?  I'm clueless about this one, and also, has anyone else had
this problem?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 May 91 16:40:27 EST
From: Don Webb <UOG12005@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Scheduler stack

Not long ago I posted a query to Info-Mac asking whether anyone
knew of an application or stack that would make schedules of
simultaneous events, especially academic department schedules.  Well,
a colleague has brought to my attention an article that describes just
such a program.

It's a Hypercard stack called "Le Secretaire."  It has been developed by
M. Jacques Courchesne, who says it does the following:
* Uses a general schedule of 5 days and 9 periods a day;
* Checks for room and instructor conflicts;
* Makes both individual and general schedules.

He writes that the stack is simple and practical and that it is being
used in a number of departments, including one with a staff of 37
instructors, 15 classrooms and 15 different courses.  He says it is still
being developed and will eventually include a budget file.

I imagine the stack can be adapted to meet the needs of larger units
and to accommodate more complex schedules.

For information, communicate with:

Monsieur Jacques Courchesne
CEGEP de Sainte-Foy
2410, chemin Sainte-Foy
Sainte-Foy, Quebec
G1V 1T3 Canada

tel (418) 659-6600
fax (418) 659-4563

Reference: Jacques Courchesne, "Le Secretaire: un outil informatique
de gestion de departement." _La Page-Ecran_ 3:2 (janvier-fevrier
1991), 28-30.

Notes: CEGEP = College d'Enseignement General et Polytechnique

_La Page-Ecran_ is the "Bulletin de l'Association pour les Applications
Pedagogiques de l'Ordinateur au Post-secondaire." Address:
454, Place Jacques Cartier, 4e etage
Montreal, Quebec
H2Y 3B3 Canada

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 May 91 20:40:51 EDT
From: Greg Mouning <GAM%YALEVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Sending e-mail to Genie from Bitnet

I was looking through the Info-mac/tips archives and noticed tips on sending
mail to various networks.  Does anything exist on sending mail to GENIE?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 10:18:54 -0600
From: daspit%zodiac@johns.Stanford.EDU (John Daspit, C.U. LASP, (303)492-6951)
Subject: sid

Hi,
	If the person who was looking for a copy of SID I wasn't able to find
it, please contact me. I happened to run across it the other day, but don't
have your address anymore. John Daspit. DASPIT@COLOLASP

------------------------------

Date: Sun, May 5, 1991 10:33:46 PM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: Signatures for Apple letter

Signatures for Apple letter

Please folks, no more signatures for the Apple letter regarding new ROMs. We're
well over 500 signatures now so I think it's time to stop harrassing my my hard
disk and 2400 baud modem.

Many thanks to all of you!

Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 May 91 15:07:23 EDT
From: s74205@ursa.calvin.edu (Michael D. Esser)
Subject: Solarian on IIsi

Solarian II 1.04 works fine on a IIsi.  Versions earlier than 1.03 crash
because they assume a coprocessor is present and try to use it.

A happy Solarian addict,
Michael Esser
s74205@ursa.calvin.edu

--

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 May 91 15:39:13 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: TCP/IP Server cdev in VersaTerm PRO

Lonnie Abelbeck has written an FTP Server that works dandy. It wasn't on the
last release disks I got though, so I don't know what his plans are with it.
If you are a VersaTerm user you could probably wrangle it out of him. Call:

WhateverTheCompanyNameIsTheseDays
2457 Perkiomen Avenue
Mt. Penn, PA 19606
(215) 779-0522

Lonnie also wrote a VersaTerm server, so if you have a Mac with an Ethercard
you could run a server on it and route Telnet sessions through it from other
Macs without a Gator box or Apple's Internet router. I used the Server to talk
ADSP between VersaTerm on my SE/30 and the Server on a cx which routed me out
an internal modem board running a driver named ".Cin" (as opposed to either
the modem ".Ain" or printer ".Bin" drivers which remained available for use).

All this magic works due to the Communications ToolBox and some tools that
Lonnie has whipped up. I used a modem board I got from a friend as a demo
freebie. He wrote the driver for it, which works with the driver tool that
Lonnie wrote.  The modem cdev (last updated a couple years ago) allows me to
name the board any letter I want, which allows it to override either serial
port or go into never never land in anticipation of the CTB.  Well, this
naming ability came in very handy when I got Lonnie's tool that will use any
arbitrary driver.

ADSP is the Appletalk Data Stream Protocol which consists of an INIT and a
CTB tool.  This is, obviously, from Apple and part of the CTB. It works quite
well and will support Mac to Mac communications through any program that uses
the Communications ToolBox.

Lonnie also wrote a time server cdev, a Telnet tool, an FTP Server tool, an
FTP Client tool, and an FTP Client program, in addition to VersaTerm,
VersaTerm PRO, and the FTP Server cdev and driver tools mentioned above.

Me, I'm just a satisfied beta site who started out as a customer with ideas
for improving VersaTerm PRO.  Lonnie listens.  Now we just need to get him to
do multiple connections. ;^)

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 15:45:08 EDT
From: dlandry@ncs.dnd.ca (Dominique Landry)
Subject: TURBO PASCAL

Hi mac programmers,

Does anybody know why Borland Intl seems to be dropping its Pascal product for the or
the Mac. The only version I've seen advertised is 1.1 - then nothing more!

Think Pascal's advertisement is leading me to believe that Turbo was dropped
because of system 7. I'd appreciate some insight ...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 May 91 18:00:25 PDT
From: Edan Kabatchnik- <ekabatch@us.oracle.com>
Subject: Versaterm Professional

> I am trying to find a small application that provides ftp *server* support
> (as opposed to client) that I can leave running in the MultiFinder
> background.  I can probably do most of what I want with NCSA Telnet, but
> I'd prefer something smaller and that supports a larger set of ftp commands
> (for example, remote delete).  Any suggestions?

Versaterm Professional is bundled with the Versaterm Professional FTP Server
INIT.  (This requires MacTCP.)  It works very well.  I get transfer rates that
are at least half an order of magnitude faster than those I acheived using NCSA
Telnet 2.3.4 with MacTCP.  Furthermore, it consumes a very small amount of
memory.  (If my memory serves me well, < 50K.)  I am sure that it works with
just about everything.  I run 60 inits, of which 15 are network related.
(Isn't that scarry?)  No problems.

I am also really impressed with the customer support I received from the
Versaterm Professional people.  I logged an enhancement request regarding an
option to specify the default transfer directory.  In two days they
incorporated my request and mailed me an update.  Mr. Ablebeck himself spoke
with me on the phone regarding my request.  He claims and the documentation
claims that the entire Versaterm Professional package is System 7 compatable.

	- Edan Kabatchnik

End of Info-Mac Digest