info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/09/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed,  8 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 104

Today's Topics:

      [*] Assault 2.0
      [*] ChangeArrow1.1 -> 1.2
      [*] Genoa & TechPhonetic fonts
      [*] Strike Jets
      6.07 and Omnipage incompatabilities
      AOL/CompuServe Request
      Before you install system 7.0
      DeskWriter et al. c/o Karl Pottie
      Font Problem
      INTERNET/BITNET e-mail to GEnie (2 msgs)
      LANWORKS
      Laserwriter page size & simple tricks
      MAC/IIGS Networking
      MacroMind Director Scripts
      Missing address
      NuVista or NuVista+ users
      oztex figures
      Possible PRAM Problem
      Prospective new moderators
      Reading AU files (& GIFs)
      Shared file usage statistics ?
      Sigma Designs DoubleUp Compression board
      The Mac internal synthezisers
      Token ring and ethernet
      Transputer Development Systems
      Truetype INIT crashes IIsi
      What is this virus?
      Where can I find...

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 15:50:33 EDT
From: kenh@eclectic.com (Ken Hancock)
Subject: [*] Assault 2.0

Enclosed is the latest version of Assault, a WW II strategy game.
Forwarded from Bob Nordling, Project GAMER.

Assault 2.0 - Major upgrade of Brad Sander's wargame, now with docs, help
menu, some color support, and compatibility with System 4.1 - 7.0

Assault 2.0, Compact Pro document.

Enjoy!

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com

[Archived as /info-mac/game/assault-20.hqx; 264K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 12:54:25 BST
From: mattt@cs.umu.se
Subject: [*] ChangeArrow1.1 -> 1.2

This is ChangeArrow 1.2, a update of ChangeArrow 1.1.
The difference is:
1) The startUpIcon can now be turned off.
2) The cursor changes directly. No need to reboot anymore!

Happy Macing!
Tommy Tornqvist, University of Umea, Sweden.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/change-arrow-12.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 19:45:03 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Genoa & TechPhonetic fonts

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the Genoa
font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive containing the Genoa
PostScript font as it was originally received by me (bitmap, downloadable
PostScript file(s), and perhaps documentation and/or AFM files).  I've
added a suitcase file which contains a TrueType version of the font,
created by FontMonger 1.0.

The PostScript version of this font is actually two fonts... GenoaRoman
and GenoaItalic.  In the TrueType version, I've merged these into a single
font... Genoa... with both plain and italic styles.

Generic statement: I am not the author of this font;  I'm simply
converting it as a service to the Mac community.  I believe that it's
legitimate for me to convert and redistribute this font... if you feel
otherwise or have information to the contrary, please contact me via
email.  If this is a shareware font, please honor the author's shareware
request if you use either the PostScript or TrueType version of the
font.

---
Dave Platt

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/genoa.hqx; 330K
             /info-mac/font/tt/tech-phonetic.hqx; 313K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 01:13:55 -0400
From: cem@cs.brown.edu (Charles E. Moylan)
Subject: [*] Strike Jets

This is a stuffed, binhexed version of "Strike Jets: Air War in the
Modern Age", a tactical simulation of modern jet fighter combat for
the Macintosh.

Players can command up to an entire squadron against the computer or
go head-to-head against another player.  Two scenarios are
provided:  one an aerial dogfight and the other a ground strike
mission.  It's a strategic game, not a flight simulator.  Demo.

Please place in your Macintosh archives.  Thanks!

Charlie Moylan (cem@cs.brown.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/game/strike-jets.hqx; 504K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 9:41:52 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: 6.07 and Omnipage incompatabilities

Pete Tamas <V5296E@templevm.bitnet> writes:
>Some time ago, James Bradley asked about Omnipage & 6.07 incompatabilities.
>Whaat was the result? If you use Omnipage, do you stay away from 6.07?

I use Omnipage 2.12. Ran it under 6.0.4, 6.0.7, and now 7.0FC1. No problems
to report.

                tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 11:30:10 EDT
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: AOL/CompuServe Request

Greetings from the Chesapeake ....

    I've read a recent review (MacSciTech Association News, 2nd Quarter '91)
and subsequently received vendor information on a new Math/Stat/Graphics
application called InterPlot [Scientific Visions, Silver Spring Md - (301)
593-0317].  Features which have attracted my attention include built-in
error analysis options [including error propagation], X and Y error bar
display, FFT and linear/non-linear curve fitting to user-specified functions -
all for only $99.00.  A demo version [ip.sea] has been posted to both AOL
and Compu$erve [lib0 or lib14], but unfortunately I lack access to both these
forums.  Could some kind Info-Mac reader possibly down-load this software
and make it available on the sumex-aim archives ??
							Thanks, Jim

   Jim Love  <jeteye@cbl.umd.edu>  Univ. of Maryland System / Solomons, Md

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 22:00 +0200
From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <ECO861771@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: Before you install system 7.0

I am now the happy user of the final international release, which was
presented by Apple Denmark the 6th may 1991 for the supporters at the
danish Apple Centers.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE INSTALLING SYSTEM 7.0

If you are going to install system 7.0 on a system which already contains
an older system folder, then I recommend the following steps:

1. Backup your harddisk. If you do not do this, then follow the next steps
   very closely.
2. Boot from a system 6.x floppy. Open the system folder on your harddisk.
3. Create a new folder in your system folder, and name it 'old finder'
4. Drag the file 'Finder' from the system folder on the harddisk to the
   folder created in step 3.
5. Rename your system folder on the harddisk to 'old system folder'

-- At this point your harddisk does NOT contain a system which is recognizable
   by a macintosh, and  as such you will get a clean installation when you
   install system 7. You can then move/copy all the stuff you still need to
   the new system folder. Quite some INITs are incompatible, and the
   DiskDoubler INIT makes the system crash when you click the menu bar.

SWITCHING BETWEEN 6.0 AND 7.0

This is no problem. Just create a folder named 'old finder' in the system 7.0
folder. When you want to start up under system 6.0 then just drag the finder
in the system 7.0 folder to the 'old finder' folder.

Then open the system 6.0 system folder, and the 'old finder' folder inside it.
Drag the Finder here to the system 6.0 system folder ('old system folder' if you
used same names as I suggested in the above steps). Reboot, and you are running
system 6.0

You should then update the system 6.0 LaserWriter driver to system 7.0 to
make sure that printers will not restart all the time.

Good luck in your installation.

I am not responsible for the consequences of anything you do, even if you
think I made you do it. But I know the above process worked fine for me with
all the versions from 6.03 to 7.0, and that a friend of mine spoiled his
system file by just hitting the Install button.

Povl H. Pedersen
eco861771@ecostat.aau.dk   /   hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 1991 00:20 PDT
From: JBAYER@scuacc.scu.edu
Subject: DeskWriter et al. c/o Karl Pottie

I too am interested in refilling my DeskWriter cartridges, I know there are
commercial kits (syringes) for about $10.00, but I have never used them.

I recently installed the upgrade kit from HP, and I am still awaiting the
promised improved performance.

I have a related question about the DeskWriter:  I understand that it is not
a PostScript printer but I thought I read somewhere that you can buy a
software program that would allow you to use PostScript fonts.  Does anyone
recall???

Joe (by the way I resolved my up/down load problem- thanks)

------------------------------

Date: 08 May 91 17:28 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: Font Problem

>I have a font problem I can't seem to solve. A small display font shows
>up distorted in many applications; for example, in HyperCard buttons that
>use icons, in Excel's help window, and in many other places. I had the
>problem in 6.0.5 and now in 6.0.7. I tried unloading all my inits and
>cdevs and restarting, but that didn't fix it. I have a straight II with
>Apple RGB monitor. Any ideas? It's probably something real simple, but
>I am no Mac whiz.
>
>Barry Bandstra, Hope College (bandstra@hope.bitnet)

You may be experiencing a new feature of the (some manager). If a text item is
too long to fit in its allotted space, the letterspacing is compressed a bit to
see if it will fit. If it will, it is dislpayed with the reduced letterspacing.
If not, it will be truncated and maybe displayed with ellipsis.

I'm not sure if this is it, but it might help...

pat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 May 91 21:47:54 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: INTERNET/BITNET e-mail to GEnie

On Tue, 07 May 91 03:36 PDT Gann Matsuda said:
>Currently, there is no way to send mail from either BITNET or
>INTERNET to GEnie.  GEnie is in the process of considering an
>INTERNET connection.

That's the same gateway they've been "considering" for more than two
years :-(  I wouldn't hold my breath (I'm told Genie's administration
is awaiting a clammoring of their paying customers <after all the gateway
will cost them something> for the service - economically sensible if
frustrating for us).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 May 91 10:05:28 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Wed, 08 May 91 02:10 PDT Gann Matsuda said:
>In the GEnieus Roundtable on GEnie, is category 8,there is a topic
>regarding an INTERNET e-mail connection.  There is indeed a lot of
>GEnie users requesting it.  Sure, GEnie will charge for it.  After

What GEnie wants is assurance of enough volume to be able to spread what
is largely a fixed cost (running a gateway) over enough uses and users
to keep the charge per mailing small enough to be acceptable.  Most
marketers know that potential customers would LIKE products and services
to be available, the difficult part is figuring out how many of them
actually will PAY for them.  If GEnie puts up a gateway they need some
confidence that there'll be a CONTINUING demand (and concommitant willingess
to pay).

If the volume going throught the Compu$erve gateway is a clue (last week
that gate got so overloaded it was 50K messages behind), there'll be
plenty of demand.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 1991 10:41:34 +0000
From: Laboratorio de TeleInformatica UPM-FIM <ltele@fi.upm.es>
Subject: LANWORKS

Do you know any problem with LANWORKS in a SE-30 over a 3COM Ethernet board?

Is there any manner for to connect a display X-Windows to the SE-30, also ethernet board?

Thanks for your information.

ltele@fi.upm.es

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 May 91 09:06:26 CST
From: Randy Bradley <MARC003%UNLVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Laserwriter page size & simple tricks

>Date: Mon, 6 May 1991 09:04 EDT
>From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
>Subject: Arbitrary LaserWriter Page Sizes
>
>WALLACE FELDMAN was asking why the LaserWriter driver won't let you define
>arbitrary page sizes like the ImageWriter lets you do.  Or rather, he was
>asking if there was some sneaky trick that would let you do in on a LW as well
>
>I've tried to think of a way to do it, but I've come to the conclusion that it
>can't be done.  Here's why:  the ImageWriter is a line-oriented printer
>generally designed to be fed by a continuous "stream" of paper.  "Page" to an
>mageWriter just means that after 66 lines you do a few line feeds to skip over
>he preforation.  Since it advances the paper after each line is printed, it is
>a simple matter to tell the printer to make the pages only 6 lines, or 12
>lines, or 47 lines, or any arbitrary size.

    Mark, are you sure it is not just because Apple wrote their Laserwriter
driver that way?  I mean, the only real trick to page size on a Laserwriter
is to start printing at the top left corner of the page.  The only problem
here is that when you feed the paper into the Laserwriter, you place it
against the RIGHT side of the feed tray instead of the more logical LEFT
side.  Now, since the Laserwriter driver wants to start printing at the top
left corner, it is up to the higher level software to set up the left
margin to start at the correct indent.  Fortunately, many higher level
software packages will set this up for you, An old package I like is
SCOOP from Target Software that supports any user page size and sets up
lots of custom printing options for book interleaving, etc.  What ever
happened to them anyway?
    Alas, I ramble...  Back to the original problem.  The "TRICK" I always
use is to print "WIDE", "LANDSCAPE", I hope most readers know these terms
by now.  This will work if your page length is less than 8 inches and your
page width is less than 11.5 inches.  Then feed your paper in sideways.
This is one case were two wrongs make it right !-)  I use this trick all the
time to print 5*7 cards from Foxbase for Labels in two columns.  Works great!

    Hope this helps...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 11:40:00 EDT
From: "CDR CALCATERRA" <calcater@usna.navy.mil>
Subject: MAC/IIGS Networking

I'm interested in networking a "Woz" IIGS running the "old" SCSI card and
a 32MB CMS drive with a MAC IIcx with Sony/Apple 40MB internal drive. Best
possible results would be a sharing of an IW-II printer and allowing the
IIGS and IIcx to share space in the external CMS drive. Cost is always a
factor! Any help/suggestions from your readers would be great.

				"Cal"

calcater@csvax2.scs.usna.navy.mil
           - or -
calcater@csservera.scs.usna.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 May 91 10:42:45 SST
From: Chiang-Seng Chong <CCECCS%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacroMind Director Scripts

We are looking for MacroMind Director scripts for a multimedia presentation.
It should be a kind of shell where you can attached bits & pieces of frames
or even video clips, animations and the like. We intend to create an inter-
active presentation of the University where the user can select the various
departments and areas of interest. If you already have one in use or in
development, please drop me a line. Thank you.

Chiang-Seng, Chong (National University of Singapore)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 08 May 91 12:02:44 +0300
From: Rhoda Frydman <LSFRYD%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Missing address

Hi MacUsers,
In the BYTE Magazine of March 1991, we found a note in the NEWS MicroBytes
section about a small company that has come up with a way to make diskless
booting possible over Ethernet. The company is called Mauswerks in Columbus,
OH. (The product is called BootToob for $139). Could anyone out there send
us their address, BitNet, or Faximilia number.
Please send an answer directly to LSFRYD@WEIZMANN
Thanx a lot.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 16:05 CST
From: TURNBULL@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Subject: NuVista or NuVista+ users

	Hello netters, I'm trying to get in touch with any NuVista or NuVista+
users, especialy if you have had any experience geting good video output, to
a VCR 3/4 or VHS or Beta.
	Please let me know if you've done so, I would appreciate it very much
for I've had some problems with fliker and also a blur on red colours.
	Thank you very much in advance...
Charlie Turnbull
Turnbull@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Universidad de las Americas-Puebla
Mexico

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 07:57:47+010
From: Alfonso Fuggetta - CEFRIEL <alfonso@ercole.cefriel.it>
Subject: oztex figures

I have received a solution to the problem concerning figures in OzTeX.

Since other people have the same problem, I am including the hint I
received from Herb Howe (thank you very much, Herb): it works!!!

--Alfonso Fuggetta

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 7:05:58 EDT
From: siegel@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Warren Siegel)
Subject: Possible PRAM Problem

I posted this to comp.sys.mac.hardware (Distribution: usa) on Thu Apr 18,
and so far the only response I got was from one other person who had exactly
the same problem:

My Mac + has a problem that looks like a bad connection to my battery or PRAM.
Once every few days or so, I start it up and it's lost the following settings:
time, date, speaker volume, initial map setting, mouse tracking speed.
I replaced the battery: no change.  I know nothing about hardware, and the
electronics people here know nothing about Macs.  I don't subscribe to this
newsgroup (that's why I know nothing about hardware :-) ), so please e-mail.
(Also, I'm too cheap to buy the manual.  Besides, if I did, I would know
something about hardware; see above.)  If there is general interest, I'll
summarize.  If this is a FAQ, I won't.  Thanks a lot.  (No .sig:  Yaaaaaaay...)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 14:32:03 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Prospective new moderators

Those who mailed info-mac-request about volunteering to be a new moderator
should have received a test mailing on Tuesday. If you did not, please mail
info-mac-request again.

Thanks,

Bill

------------------------------

Date: 9 May 91 01:34:43 GMT
From: justin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Justin Ridge)
Subject: Reading AU files (& GIFs)

First things first, I've had heaps of answers to my enquiry about displaying
GIFs.  I can now do this perfectly.  Thanks to everyone who replied - sorry
I don't have time to respond individually.

Next question: does anyone know of archives other than WUARCHIVE, SCHIZO, and
SUMEX?  I've seen a lot of lists, but none seem to be remotely accurate
(each misses out a substantial no. of archives and includes ones with no
GIF files)

AND.......

DOES anyone know of a utility which will let .au sound files (used on Suns?) to
be played on the mac?  We have a lot of Sun stuff in Oz.
Any information will be gratefully received.

Justin,
justin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 16:09:28 +0100
From: nve%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Shared file usage statistics ?

Dear Netters,

Does anybody know a program which allows one to gather statistics on
usage of shared files on an AppleShare file server ?

Please reply directly to NVE@BDILUC01.BITNET.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 1991 10:26 EST
From: "MJ Kociscin, RIT/Apple Student Representative" <MJK7911@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: Sigma Designs DoubleUp Compression board

Does anyone have any comments on the DoubleUp Data compression package?

For those of you who are not familiar with this, DoubleUp is a NuBus
expansion card that works in conjunction with DiskDoubler 3.1 (included).

Given that the mail order houses are selling this for $179, I am seriously
consdering purchasing it.  However, before I do, I would like to see what
owners/users have found out about it.

Thanks!

Mark J. Kociscin

Please send replies directly to:
  MJK7911@ritvax.isc.rit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 09:25:37 +0100
From: lempens%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: The Mac internal synthezisers

Hi fellow LabView users or C-programmers out there,

We at the physics department of our university are doing some analysis on
speech with our students of the second grade.  We are using now the LPC method
( Linear Predictive Coding ).  After analysing and/of processing the signal,
we would like to send it back as a analog signal to a speaker.
  Is there anybody who used the internal sound manager or sound synthesizers
of the MAC.  I now you can make a C-language routine and use that in LabView,
bud I don't now how to program in C.
  I looked in the Inside Mac V for the sound manager.  So is there anybody who
has made some VI's for those routines like "SndPlay", "SndNewChannel",
"SndAddModifier", "SndDoCommand", "SndControl", etc., or VI's that control
those various synthesisers like ID 1 "note synthesizer", ID 3 "wave table
syntheziser", ID 5 "sampled sound synthesizer", etc.

Many thanks, I look forward to the answers

Rick Lempens
Limburgs Universitair Centrum
Belgium
BitNet  LEMPENS@BDILUC01.bitnet

P.S. I am using a MAC IIfx.  I hope this causes no problems with sound!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 May 91 17:53:22 CDT
From: Marc Cooper <MAC566F%SMSVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Token ring and ethernet

The recent postings on token ring vs. ethernet only begin to scratch the
surface of the networking problems likely to be encountered by Mac users.
MacTCP, for instance, does not support the standard Internet protocols
TCP/IP with Apple's tokentalk card (or any other T'ring card at the moment).
In practice this means that the encapsulated T'ring packets produced by
a dedicated mac running MacTCP with tokentalk can only be understood by
another Mac with the tokentalk card. Not very useful in the kind of
computing environment likely to be found at a university with an IBM
mainframe. To get on the token ring, a Mac must send tokentalk packets
to a router (Gator Box, etc.) which cost nearly $20,000. PCs with
a token card can get to the T'ring with nothing more than an inexpensive
bridge.

When the T'ring backbone goes through my building, our dean will
probably ask us what are the benefits of networking and how
much does it cost? The copper to fiber connection together with the
bridge is likely to be inexpensive enough to justify the cost since
we probably have 100 pc's in the building. How will I justify a gateway
or expensive router for a couple of Macs?

My only real hope for networking at the moment is that a) Apple will
improve MacTCP to support native token ring packets, or; b) Computer
Services will decide to go with ethernet instead of tokenring.
Acknowledge-To: <MAC566F@SMSVMA>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 02:45:31 -0400
From: jones@estsc1.dnet.nasa.gov
Subject: Transputer Development Systems

Dear Netlanders,
I am looking for a transputer development system for the Mac,
Levco used to make one but i can not find any current advertising.
Does anyone out there use this system (or any other) and have a
contact for Levco?
many thanks
andru     AJONES@SOLAR.STANFORD.EDU  SPAN  SOLAR::AJONES

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 18:55-0400
From: Carl L. Gay <CGay@alderaan.scrc.symbolics.com>
Subject: Truetype INIT crashes IIsi

I just installed the software for my new StyleWriter and now
my machine (a IIsi with no FPU) crashes immediately after
startup (after the Truetype INIT is displayed) with the
error message "coprocessor not installed."  When I remove
the Truetype INIT from the System folder the problem goes
away.  I have been able to boot from a floppy with the
Truetype INIT and at least view some Truetype fonts in the
Font/DA Mover so I'm guessing that the problem is running
Truetype in combination with some other piece of software.
Anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?  (Could this
be related to the fact that Hypercard 2.0 crashes my
machine?)

-Carl

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 91 17:43:47 GMT
From: Mitch Cherniack <mitch@cs.concordia.ca>
Subject: What is this virus?

Can anyone identify a virus which causes an occasional crash after
it displays a crudely drawn "unhappy face" on the right hand side of
the menu bar.  Disinfectant 2.1 did not find it, and SAM Virus Clinic
crashes every time I have it scan what I suspect is the infected drive.
What is this virus and how does one remove it?

Mitch Cherniack
mitch@concour.cs.concordia.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 91 23:00:40 CDT
From: "sendhil  revuluri" <revu@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Where can I find...

Hello Net:
	I am an undergrad math major. As such, I am poor. I need a TeX or other
mathematical typesetting program which is freeware or shareware/commercial but
costs no more that $75. Does anyone know if such a program exists? If so, what?
Are any available at anonymous FTP sites anywhere? Any info (any at all) would
be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sendhil Revuluri
revu@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago