info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/12/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 11 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 106

Today's Topics:

      [*] Eradicat'Em 1.2
      [*] Gatekeeper 1.2
      [*] THINK C 4.0.5 Update
      [*] THINK Pascal 3.0.2 Update Kit
      2 modems/1 mac
      Amiga-->Mac transfers
      Calculus Educational Software
      Comm port programming question
      coversion and typesetting (Donald Peterson)
      DD INIT and 7.0
      DDP-IP Routing
      Hypercard 2.0
      inexpensive TEAC compatible tapes
      INTERNET/BITNET e-mail to GEnie
      IP ADDRESSES
      La Cie drive head park utility
      Liaison
      look for isetl
      MacII HDD troubles
      Microsoft Mail
      Personal LaserWriter NT Cables
      POPCHAR and TrueType
      Red Blur in NuVistaVideo Output
      SQL Client/Server software out there?
      System 7
      Token ring
      Token Ring & SE/30
      Token ring and ethernet
      TrueType INIT/HyperCard 2.0 Crashing
      Where can I find Paul M. Hyman (Author of DesignerDraw)?
      Word Processor translations

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 19:36:34 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Eradicat'Em 1.2

This posting contains version 1.2 of Eradicat'Em, a free antiviral
which finds and eliminates the WDEF and CDEF viruses before they can
infect and/or crash your Macintosh.

Version 1.2 is an update to Eradicat'Em 1.0, released in December 1989.
If you're using the original version, you should upgrade to this one.
If you managed to get a copy of version 1.1 during its short, ill-starred
release... it's buggy... please replace it with version 1.2.

Version 1.2 is ready for System 7 - it's 32-bit-clean, and works
properly with Finder 7.  It's also compatible with System 6.0.x, and it
fixes an incompatibility with a few third-party applications (including
the Now Utilities "Customizer" program) which led to incorrect reports
of a viral infection.

---
Dave Platt
dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us       (domain/MX)

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/eradicatem-12.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 18:12:43 -0500
From: chrisj@bongo.cc.utexas.edu (Chris Johnson)
Subject: [*] Gatekeeper 1.2

Gatekeeper 1.2
Gatekeeper Aid 1.2

by Chris Johnson (c) 1988-1991

Enclosed is the complete Gatekeeper 1.2 anti-virus system.  This
distribution set includes Gatekeeper Aid 1.2 and all documentation.

The file is a BinHexed self extracting archive.  People using previous
versions of Gatekeeper will need to put Gatekeeper into Override mode
before double-clicking on the file "Gatekeeper 1.2 Distribution.sea"
file that will be generated by decoding this BinHex file.  Failure to
put Gatekeeper in Override mode during this process will prevent the
archive from extracting some of its files successfully.

(By the way, Gatekeeper 1.2 automatically provides the appropriate
privileges to self extracting archives created by Compact Pro, StuffIt
and Disk Doubler, so you shouldn't have to worry about this override
nonsense when dealing with self extracting archives in the future.)

Chris Johnson
chrisj@emx.utexas.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/gatekeeper-12.hqx; 264K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 09:37:00 -0400
From: siegel@world.std.com (Rich Siegel)
Subject: [*] THINK C 4.0.5 Update

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/think-c-405-updater.hqx; 182K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 13:30:13 edt
From: "Phil Shapiro" <phils@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: [*] THINK Pascal 3.0.2 Update Kit

THINK PASCAL 3.0.2/TCL ONLINE UPDATE PACKAGE

This update package corrects some bugs in THINK Pascal 3.0 and some
minor bugs in the Pascal version of the THINK Class Library.

It also allows THINK Pascal to be 90% compatible with System 7.0.
	NOTE:	THINK Pascal 3.0.2 will NOT run under
                Virtual Memory or in 32-bit mode.

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/think-pascal-302-updater.hqx; 143K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 91 21:51 MDT
From: McGuire%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: 2 modems/1 mac

Comm question here...I'd like to run 2 telephone lines, each with its
own modem, into my Mac.  One modem will be used for BacFax (actually,
Orchid MacFax) and the other for std.  modem using perhaps Timbuctu
Remote.  I understand that the Mac has only 1 communications ID.  Is
there any way to set up 2 comm ids, or set up 2 diff.  addresses?  I'm
not too familiar with the comm side here on Macs, so any references
would be appreciated.  BTW, I currently am using a Mac SE, but may be
upgrading in the future.  Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 May 91 20:10:53 -0700
From: proteus@medisg.stanford.edu
Subject: Amiga-->Mac transfers

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could approach the task
of transferring an Amiga Scribble file to my Mac in some sort of
usable form?

Thanks.
|  Gregg L. Kasten  |    Stanford University    | proteus@medisg.stanford.edu |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 13:26 EDT
From: "James A. Muysenberg" <Muysenberg@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>
Subject: Calculus Educational Software

          I'm thinking of getting software packages that teach calculus
and ordinary differential equations.  After calling MacConnection,
MacZone, and MacWarehouse I came up with calculus packages from
Broderbund ($57-58), Sensei ($58), and True Basic ($39).  Are there any
others (including free/shareware)?  Would any of you readers be willing
to tell me your experiences using Mac-based calculus software?  I will
summarize to the digest if I get any responses.

          Thanks.

James A. Muysenberg

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 11:42 PDT
From: I AM CatMUG <NELSON%catlin.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Comm port programming question

    Another question for net-land programming gurus: What is a buffer,
and what is its format? Pascal source or data types would be nice, but if
need be, I can probably decode C source with a little effort.

Thanks in advance,
Russ Nelson
Nelson@Catlin.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  9 May 91 22:46 CDT
From: <SCHUSSLE%KNOX@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: coversion and typesetting (Donald Peterson)

WordPerfect 1.0.2 is good at removing unwanted LF's/hard returns. Use the
find/replace function to replace hard returns with one space.  2.0 is very
SLOW!!!!!!!   Hope this helps.

Brian Schussler
Apple Student Rep
Knox College

------------------------------

Date: Thu, May 9, 1991 1:52:14 PM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: DD INIT and 7.0

DD INIT and 7.0

> -- At this point your harddisk does NOT contain a system which is
recognizable
>    by a macintosh, and  as such you will get a clean installation when you
>    install system 7. You can then move/copy all the stuff you still need to
>    the new system folder. Quite some INITs are incompatible, and the
>    DiskDoubler INIT makes the system crash when you click the menu bar.

Just so you all know, Salient is working on a new version of DD that is
targeted at June 1st for release. It's System 7.0 compatible and mega cool.

cheers .... Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 91 21:42 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: DDP-IP Routing

>! A GatorBox costs between $3000 and $2000; for educational
>institutions, they should tend towards $2000. Furthermore, that's not
>the only option available. NRC (Network Resources Corp.) sells
>several routing options. The most attractive is the software router
>(I forget the exact name) which does full routing and extraction of
>MacTCP packets from AppleTalk packets and sends them out as TCP
>packets.

MultiGate Mac, from NRC.

pat

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 1991 13:50:58 EDT
From: Doug Berry <DBERRY%UMAB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypercard 2.0

Greetings from the Eastern Shore!

I would like to know if anyone knows of a way to randomize the order of cards
in a Hypercard stack.  I am writing a stack for psychological testing that
requires that the 15 cards in the stack appear in a random order.  If there is
an XCMD or other solution out there, please let me know!  Thanks!

Doug Berry
(Send replies to DBERRY@UMAB.UMD.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 11:22:40 MEZ
From: Helmut ORTNER <U3011VAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: inexpensive TEAC compatible tapes

it seems that original TEAC tapes (CT-600 N) are very expensive.
there is a compatible tape from MAXELL labeled CS-600XD which is much
cheaper. The local Maxell representative told me, that also the original
TEAC tapes are manufactured by Maxell. My own experience ist that these
tapes work very well on my Nova T150 from Microtech.

Hope this helps a little.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 14:45:51 EDT
From: barnett@pluto.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett)
Subject: INTERNET/BITNET e-mail to GEnie

>From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject: INTERNET/BITNET e-mail to GEnie
>Info-Mac Digest V9 #104

>What GEnie wants is assurance of enough volume to be able to spread what
>is largely a fixed cost (running a gateway) over enough uses and users
>to keep the charge per mailing small enough to be acceptable.  Most
>marketers know that potential customers would LIKE products and services
>to be available, the difficult part is figuring out how many of them
>actually will PAY for them.  If GEnie puts up a gateway they need some
>confidence that there'll be a CONTINUING demand (and concommitant willingess
>to pay).

GE already has an Internet gateway. Our site gateways mail to other GE
sites using GE DECNET, TCP/IP, UUCP, and Appletalk.

All they need is a modem and support for UUCP and we will forward mail
to them.

They also need the software, and be willing to pay for the phone bills.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 11:11:39 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: IP ADDRESSES

Hi.
Can someone please supply me with the internet addresses of the following
sites?

zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu
aux.apple.com

Is there a file of ftp-hosts with IP-addresses available?

Please reply to isstth@nusvm.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 91 21:55 MDT
From: McGuire%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: La Cie drive head park utility

I use a La Cie Cirrus 80 Meg Hard Drive, and a problem is that the head
parking software utility is not transparent, IE, a remote restart can
not be done - the machine must be manually clicked to continue.  Anyone
know of auto-park or a hardware mod for this drive, or a way around it
for remote restart?  I use a Mac SE.  I've had no luck corresponding
with La Cie previously on this(they dont answer letters) Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 91 21:42 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: Liaison

>What  is liaison (sp?)? I understand it is a cdev used in networks, but I
>could use additional info & comments, bug reports, version 3.0 vs. 2.0,
>etc. Thanks--Pete
>Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

Liaison is an AppleTalk router. It handles local routing on LocalTalk, Ethernet
and Token Ring, as well as half-routing over wide area links.

Contact Farallon Computing in Emeryville, CA for more information.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 11:37:49 EDT
From: gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: look for isetl

Is anyone aware of any PD implementations of isetl for the Mac?
Or maybe even commercial?  Thanks much in advance...

Gregg TeHennepe  **  gateh@conncoll.bitnet  **  SysAdm, Connecticut College

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 11:08:52 PDT
From: moynihan@trwind.trw.com (Bill Moynihan)
Subject: MacII HDD troubles

I have a 1988 vintage MacII with a hard disk problem. Configuration is
as follows: O.S.=6.0.5, Finder=6.1.5, HDD=Connor CP3100 @~100MB packaged
as a CMS PRO100-SE/i (not original HDD). Symptoms are: 1)upon
startup the floppy icon with `?' momentarily flashes and then
proceeds normally with HDD icon in upper right corner; 2)booting
with a "System Tools" or any other standalone diskette produces
no HDD icon below it; 3)Apple HD SC Setup it is unable to locate any
drive at all. The kicker is symptom 1.

If you have a suggestion please e-mail (moynihan@trwind.trw.com)
me directly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill Moynihan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 13:34:18 -0400
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: Microsoft Mail

Is Microsoft Mail a good mail system?  Does it have an interface to
Internet-type mail.  If this isn't the right list to ask those questions,
the right list doesn't exist.

	Bob

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 17:27:26 PDT
From: Robert Pierce <piercer@nv-ngnet.army.mil>
Subject: Personal LaserWriter NT Cables

Here is a mystery I could use some help solving.
I just bought a Personal LaserWriter NT and asked
the dealer (what I thought was) a simple question.
Namely, "What do I use to connect this thing to my
SE at home?" His first response was that I could simply
use an Imagewriter cable if all I was doing was connecting
one Mac to one printer. He did some checking for me and
came up with these differing responses:
1. You must use LocalTalk type connector because line
   interference could fry the motherboards with just an
   ImageWriter cable. (This came second-hand from an Apple
   Technician)
2. The above stated argument is simply a ploy for dealers to
   sell you a more expensive cable. (This supposedly also came
   second-hand from an Apple Tech!)
3. We've never had a problem with using an ImageWriter cable
   and it saves our non-networking customers money.

I looked at the manual and Apple seems to assume that you are
going to use a LocalTalk connector box. What gives with all this?
I looked at the report on Nate Hawthorn's CapNet and he talked
about problems only if the two units were using a different
ground (i.e. in different buildings.) Am I mixing apples (sorry)
and oranges here? I'd appreciate some advice since it will be
awhile before I will have a network at home. I don't want to
spend any more money than I have to for awhile (I'm still trying
to explain a laser printer to my wife!) Thanks ahead of time.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 09:51:39 EDT
From: ELOISE%MAINE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Eloise Kleban)
Subject: POPCHAR and TrueType

In a recent digest, someone noted that after installing TrueType on
his/her LC, POPCHAR no longer worked.  I have both POPCHAR and
TrueType installed on my IIx (system 6.0.7) and both work fine.
Eloise Kleban
eloise@maine.maine.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 13:18:33 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Red Blur in NuVistaVideo Output

>        Hello netters, I'm trying to get in touch with any NuVista or NuVista+
>users, especialy if you have had any experience geting good video output, to
>a VCR 3/4 or VHS or Beta.
>        Please let me know if you've done so, I would appreciate it very much
>for I've had some problems with fliker and also a blur on red colours.

Consider the possibility that you are asking video to do what it can't.
When the NTSC standard for color television was developed (around 1950),
the FCC mandated a bandwidth of only 6 MHz for the signal.  Part of this
bandwidth was reserved for the "luminance" (black-and-white) signal,
and part for the "chrominance" (color) signal.  Chrominance was further
effectively divided among red, green, and blue (I know this will appear
oversimplified to video gurus, but bear with me), with UNequal bandwidth
for the three colors.  Essentially, they optimized the standard for
images of rather bland, slow-moving objects like Dan Rather's face.

Since bandwidth is the inverse of resolution (again oversimplified),
the net result is unequal resolution for different colors.
You may be able to get 400 pixel/line resolution
in blue, but only 70 pixel/line resolution in red (your mileage may
vary, but red will be worse than blue in any event).  I have actually
seen a video of a visualization of galaxies colliding, in which one
galaxy's stars were colored bright red and the other's stars were
colored blue.  The red stars were smeared horizontally to at least
4 times the width of the blue stars, though we were assured by the
maker that the original dots on the computer screen were identical
in size.

Another problem you may be encountering is that all colors that
your Mac can produce are not "legal" for NTSC.  The specifics
are rather complicated, but the rule of thumb is to avoid colors
which are more than 75% saturated.  Violations of this rule
can cause blurring.

I may not be describing the source of *your* blurring problem,
but these are issues you should be aware of.
  -- Joshua Yeidel

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 09:24:21 EDT
From: lti2!magee@lti.uucp (Mike Magee x30)
Subject: SQL Client/Server software out there?

I'm currently operating a small network that has 2 dozen Sun's, a dozen or
so PS/2's, and a dozen or so Mac's of various flavors.   The PS/2's run
OS/2 EE 1.3, and have the "stuff I need" on one or more databases.  The
Mac's, PS/2's and Sun's all share an ethernet, with the appletalk getting
into the fray via a Gatorbox.

 (whew)

What I'm looking for is information on anyone that may be able to provide
the SQL client software with a reasonable GUI for the Mac environment.
The idea is to keep and serv the data at the PS/2's and to provide access
to both the Sun's and Mac's across the ethernet.   Of course, cost is a
very large issue, as is the concept of standardizing on a single data
access "protocol" such as SQL.

Please post directly to me, and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Magee - Language Technology Inc.    -    magee%lti.uucp@bu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 91 01:18:37 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that System 7 has "gone
golden" (the production version is being manufactured).  I saw a copy
running on an LC Friday evening (you can get your own Monday or Tuesday).

If you plan on making copies at your dealer or user group.  Bring LOTS
of disks (13 800K or 8 1.44M -- I think that's what he said, whew!).

I also saw the //e card running in an LC.  Some copy protected stuff gives
it a problem, but otherwise software from 1980 through present works
fine.

1) it WILL work on ALL the monitors supported by the LC (a late fix,
originally it wouldn't work with the Apple 13" RGB - does now).

2) it will emulate up to 1 Mbyte of //e memory (for those AppleWorks
freaqs who want to run the entire Timeout series while editing the
great American novel)

3) No HD support yet, but coming (free upgrade) mid-summer (along with
a cdev that will allow ProDOS disks to be mounted on the Mac desktop similar
to mounting MeSsy DOS disks with AccessPC or DOS Mount).

4) IIgs emulation is being worked on but may be a Loooonnnnngggg time
coming.  One problem is the LC's power budget doesn't allow for a card
as exotic as apparently is required to emulate a IIgs :-(

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 11:14:12 CDT
From: Marc Cooper <MAC566F%SMSVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Token ring

Sorry netters, my last posting on this subject gives the impression that a
Gator Box costs $20,000.00. Rather, a Cisco router plus 2 dedicated Mac IIs,
will cost about $20,000.00. This appears to the least expensive way we
can offer both Macs and PCs access to the Token Ring backbone in our
environment.
A Gator Box can be had for about $2,000.00. I hope the good folks at
Cayman Systems will forgive me.
Acknowledge-To: <MAC566F@SMSVMA>

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 91 23:52:49 GMT
From: 9531sons@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini)
Subject: Token Ring & SE/30

In digest <9105092359.AA02615@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:

>We're still at the point of LAN adoption.  The campus supports  Token
>Ring and Ethernet, but the Computer Center is recommending Token Ring
>for our building (eventually 70 PC's, 10 Macs).  The message from Marc
>Cooper saying Apple's TokenTalk card does not properly support TCP/IP
>packets is disturbing.  Is that true if the LAN software is Novell
>Netware 386?

I don't think there is any TCP/IP for Mac's that runs over Token Ring.
Novell's Mac support provides for Mac file sharing and printing, but I
don't think the Novell TCP/IP NLM would provide TCP/IP services (like
telnet or ftp) for Mac's on the LAN).

>Another problem is there does not appear to be a TokenRing card for
>our SE/30s (correct?).  In theory, it ought to be possible to make a
>NuBus adaptor for an SE/30 direct slot which would allow a NuBus Token
>Ring card to be used with an SE/30.  Has anyone heard of such a thing
>(vendor address and phone number would be nice)?

Avatar makes a TokenRing card for the SE/30.  1159 Triton Dr Suite B,
Foster City, CA 94404.  Bob Cicciarella (415) 358-8611 is the sales rep.
You can request an evaluation copy  (hardware & software) from Rose Dimiano
at their Mass office (508) 435-3000.

>I have this nagging feeling that Ethernet would be less hassle, but our
>Computer Center people swear Token Ring is the way to go.  Can anyone
>name a site running mixed PC and Mac LANs on Token Ring on which both
>the PC's and the Macs can telnet and ftp?

We have PC's and Mac's on a Token Ring, and are waiting for Novell's Mac
software (NLM for Mac's).  We're only using the Token Ring (for now) to
connect to our IBM hosts and that works fine on the Macs.

>Given our "brink of disastor" financial situation, the hardware for the
>LAN is (relatively anyway) major bucks.  If we go wrong, the Computer
>Center's techies are going to say "well, we *thought* it would work..."
>but we will be *stuck* with the bill :-(  I feel like someone who's doctor
>has recommended open heart surgery; I'm willing to listen to the expert, but
>I'd be happier with a second (or third, fourth...) opinion.

Hope any of this helps. But we're in the same boat.

				Jamie Sonsini
				9531sons@ucsbvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 09:14:44 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: Token ring and ethernet

Regarding the recent notes discussing Token Ring and Ethernet.  Our educational
discount price for the GatorBox is under $1700 in quantities of 1, and Cayman
has very good technical support in my opinion.  Also, in a rather esoteric setup
that we were forced into by circumstance, the IBM 8209 Token-Ring to Ethernet
bridge has worked well for us to force ethernet traffic through a Token Ring
loop (we were stuck with the Token Ring loop due to an agreement another
department made, and we were pretty much forced into the 8209 as well).  This is
contrary to what MacWeek reported a couple of weeks ago (Apple stated that the
8209 and AppleTalk were incompatible).  I'm not sure what configuration they
used, but we've had the thing hooked up for months and it works fine for all
kinds of traffic to and from the Macs on the other side of the loop and bridge.
We've used Telnet, TN3270, AppleShare services, printing to LaserWriters, Public
Folder, and Broadcast just to name a few.

Bruce Carter  -  Internet: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu  -  Bitnet: duscarte@idbsu

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  9 May 91 22:29 CDT
From: <SCHUSSLE%KNOX@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: TrueType INIT/HyperCard 2.0 Crashing

Carl,
Whenever you ask for help about a crashing problem its important to include
a list of your inits/cdevs.  It sounds like you might have an INIT conflict.
I've succefully installed the truetype init/ Card 2.0 on IIsi's without the
problem you describe.  Please provide more info.

Brian Schussler
Apple Student Rep
Knox College

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 91 12:33 N
From: "Gary T. Czychi" <CZYCHI%CSGHSG5A.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Where can I find Paul M. Hyman (Author of DesignerDraw)?

Hi,

does anybody out there know where I can find Paul M. Hyman? He is the author of
the shareware program DesignerDraw (./app/designer-draw-31.hqx).

I have a customer for him, but can't contact him at the given adress:
        417 Associated Rd.
        Suite A-197
        Brea, CA 92621

Does he have an EMail account? Has he moved? I would be greatful for any info.

Thanks a lot,

        Gary

czychi@alpha.unisg.ch (preferred), or czychi@bernina.ethz.ch

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 14:25:27 CDT
From: allan@chem.nwu.edu (David Allan)
Subject: Word Processor translations

      Translating Text between Different Word Processor Formats

                       David Allan
                     allan@chem.nwu.edu
                       May 10, 1991

Recently I asked about translation programs to convert between different
word processor formats, specifically WordPerfect on the PC to Microsoft
Word on the Mac.  I received a number of helpful comments, which are
excerpted or summarized below.  In general it seems that most of the
translation programs will do an adequate job of converting common
formatting features such as underlining, italics, and boldface. However,
special characters (such as accented characters), symbols, and tab and
margin settings do not translate as well.  Graphics probably don't
translate at all.  So, even with the best translators, some reformatting
will probably be necessary.

With that introduction out of the way, several different options are
available for performing the specific conversion mentioned above.  There
are several stand-alone programs and a number of translation scripts
that work from within Apple File Exchange.  MacLink Plus received the
most endorsements; it exists both as a standalone program and as an
Apple File Exchange script.  I used MacLink Plus at our computer center
(both standalone and AFE script gave identical output) with pretty good
success.  Special symbols needed to be reformatted.

Below are the comments of the respondents to my query.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
MacLink Plus Translators by

DataViz, Inc.
55 Corporate Drive
Trumbull, CT  06611
 (203) 268-0030  voice
about $100 mail order

It allows conversions between many formats and platforms; PC or Next to
Mac, Mac to PC, Next, or Sun, Mac to Mac. We translate things with
mathematical expressions and there are some things that don't go through
as painlessly as we would like.... their next upgrade is supposed to
handle WordPerfect graphics and so forth; it may actually get to the
point where symbols and math can be easily translated (at least I can
hope!). Comes in two forms: one works with Apple File Exchange, one is
stand-alone.  The standalone version is recommended for better speed. (5
respondents recommended this package.)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Word for Word

Tiger Software $79.95

We do this all the time here in our Computer Center. We use "Word For Word" In
order to use it, you first need to use the Apple File Exchange Utility
(to get your DOS WordPerfect document into Macintosh format. Then you
use the Word For Word program to translate from WordPerfect to Word. It
works really well.  We purchased it from TigerSoftware for $79.95. (1
respondent)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
WordPerfect Conversion program (dist. with WP)

If you are a registered user of wp 2.0 you can download the new
conversion document from the WP BBS. Or you can call them and they will
send you the update Version 2.0.1 (fixes lots of bugs!) and the new
conversions. You can call their 800 number and they will be happy to
provide you the BBS number. (1 respondent)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Microsoft Word <-> WP Apple File Exchange Script

Distributed by Microsoft.
Microsoft just released a new set of
WordPerfect translators that work with AFE for WordPerfect 5.1.
I believe these are up on AppleLink, CompuServe(?) and are
also available through Customer service at (800) 426-9400.
I suspect if you call Customer Service they can help you.
(1 respondent, Microsoft employee)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Apple File Exchange

There is a Wordperfect-RTF
translator that works with Apple File Exchange that is good for
WP 5.1; it handles everything in 5.2 also, I think, except for
tables, which it translates as a series of columns.

I downloaded it from Compuserve, in the MAC Applications section.
I think it will handle everything you say you are using.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Thanks to:
Dan Lunderville <ACS_DANL@UWRF.bitnet>
Pam@cab.mrs.umn.edu