info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/15/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 14 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 108

Today's Topics:

      [*] AppleDraw DA Version 5.1.1
      [*] Dynopage - a demo of page resizing mechanism.
      [*] MBTIScore program
      [*] Net Snooper Stack 2.0d6
      [*] Numerical Methods Stack
      [*] PICMeUp
      [*] PrettyC 1.43
      [*] TrashBox
      [*] Voyager Screen Correction
      Apple SCSI formatter info ?
      Color Icon design/editing
      Dove Fax/Modem/Voicemail
      Event logging INIT
      laserwriters on imagewriter cables
      Long distance runaround...
      MacII HDD troubles
      Mac LC games (?)
      Monitor for LC
      MS Mail and Internet (2 msgs)
      Reading X windows screen dumps into a Mac
      Slide making software
      Studio/8 Question
      Termination on Apple 20 SCSI Drive
      THINK Pascal 3.0 and MacApp.
      Voice Navigator

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 16:37:59 SDT
From: Guenther Blaschek <Blaschek%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.AT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] AppleDraw DA Version 5.1.1

This is AppleDraw version 5.1.1. AppleDraw is a DA for object drawings
that supports
 - lines, rectangles, ovals, arrows, text ...
 - polygons (also with arrowheads)
 - groups and "partial pictures"
 - zooming
 - hairlines
 - grid
 - ... and much more
New in version 5.1.1:
 - fewer bugs (at least 3 were extinguished)
 - compatible with TrueType (surprise)
 - shows the size of objects
This posting includes:
 - the AppleDraw DA
 - the Drawer application
 - MacWrite documentation
 - some sample pictures
AppleDraw is shareware (US$30)
The following is a self-extracting Compact Pro archive.
gue -- Guenther Blaschek -- blaschek@alijku11.bitnet -- gue@soft.uni-linz.ac.at

[Archived as /info-mac/da/appledraw-511.hqx; 125K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 14:39:53 CDT
From: Doug Morris <dmorris@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] Dynopage - a demo of page resizing mechanism.

The following binhexed binary contains a demo of a product for multiply
resizing pages on the fly.  The demo is fully functional however it prints
a advertisment masthead of the back of the printed page.  Quite the unit.
Documentation is contained within the stuffit archive.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/dynopage.hqx; 145K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1991 11:01 CDT
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] MBTIScore program

MBTIScore is a program for scoring Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
tests.  The program will score individuals, or groups in a file.
For group scoring, a summary statistics page with frequency
counts can be printed after the list of results.

Documentation is in a DocMaker self-executing document.

MBTIScore is freeware, but it is copyrighted.  Distribute it
freely, but not for profit.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/mbti-score.hqx; 128K]

------------------------------

Date: 19 Apr 91 14:09:00 EDT
From: Adrian (A.C.) Ruigrok <ARUIGROK%BNR.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Net Snooper Stack 2.0d6

This HyperCard 2.0 stack gives you an idea of how many devices of
what type are on your network by wandering through all the zones
and doing NBP lookups.  It then does Echo lookups on all the nets
it finds.  This stack has evolved as a matter of need within
Bell-Northern Research over the past year.  It has a fair amount
of utility here, so I expect it may be useful to others.

This is the first version I am posting so the documentation will
be a bit sparse until I get comments on what more the average
person needs to know.  My appologies.

Adrian C Ruigrok
aruigrok@bnr.ca

[Archived as /info-mac/card/net-snooper-20d6.hqx; 96K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 19:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] Numerical Methods Stack

Howdy,

  enclosed is a new version of Numerical Methods, a HyperCard
stack containing many useful numerical methods and matrix
manipulation scripts.  This has been slightly revised for
HyperCard 2.0.  Comments are welcome.  ShareWare, only $9!

- Brian

[Archived as /info-mac/card/numerical-methods.hqx; 115K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 13:02 PDT
From: Samuel Herschbein <SAM@chevax.cheme.washington.edu>
Subject: [*] PICMeUp

    PICMeUp was written to give AppleShare administrators
an easy method of getting a PICT message to all users when
starting up.  Graphics and sound were chosen over plain text
because folks don't pay attention unless they see bold
headlines and cartoons, and hear a lot of noise.  Just like
TV tabloids...

    PICMeUp reads the PICTs in Mac II style startup screens
(the PICTs are resource ID=0).  If a 'snd ' resource with
ID=12345 is in the file, it is played.
    If PICMeUp encounters an error, it simply does nothing.
This prevents the user from getting some arcane error message.

    PICMeUp easily fits on our 800K startup floppies used to
access our AppleShare Server.

    The included documentation (Word 4.0 and MacWrite formats)
explains all this in more detail.

    PICMeUp is ChocolateWare - if you use it send me chocolate
(I'll settle for E-Mail...)

    Samuel Herschbein
    Chemical Engineering BF-10
    University of Washington

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/pic-me-up.hqx; 63K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 11:02:15 BST
From: jeremyr@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Subject: [*] PrettyC 1.43

Here is version 1.43 of PrettyC, a utility for C programmers.  PrettyC
prints C source code and makes it look nice, avoiding splitting functions
across pages where possible, printing comments and code in different,
selectable fonts and sizes, emboldening and/or italicizing
keywords and comments, etc.  It accepts multiple source files as
input and prints an index at the end of the listing: the index gives
function, files, page number and type.  An option to print just the
index is available.  A PreScan option scans the selected files and
lets the user select as many files and/or functions as s/he wishes
for printing.

Changes from v1.04: several bug fixes.  Added user-specified margins,
load & save sets of parameters.  Better pagination, improved font
size handling, support for THINK C classes & methods, etc, etc.

Also included is an INIT called Pretty thoughts which makes THINK C
call PrettyC when its Print... command is chosen from the File menu.

PrettyC is shareware.  #10 sterling, $25/20 US.

Jeremy Roussak (jeremyr@dcs.qmw.ac.uk)

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/pretty-c-143.hqx; 94K
             /info-mac/lang/pretty-c-143-docs.hqx; 73K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 09:31:51 edt
From: Rocky Olive <olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com>
Subject: [*] TrashBox

If you would like to throw your files away into a box instead of the Mac trash
can, then replace it with TrashBox.  TrashBox is a replacement icon for your
trash can.  It even shows files in the box after you've thrown them in there.
Use ResEdit to install it into your Finder file.

I came up with this when I noticed that I tend to use empty boxes to throw
away trash, so I decided to let my Mac imitate real life...

== Rocky Olive, Data General Corp, Apex, NC, USA

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/trash-can-replacement-2.hqx; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 04:27:44 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Voyager Screen Correction

This is a very nice Voyager Startup Screen. It should replace the
one already in the archives as it corrects an error in the previous
posting, namely, it is a SCRN file of SPNT type, not SCRN NONE as
previously posted. Also the bundle and inited bits are set on which
they were not before.

[Archived as /info-mac/art/voyager.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 1991 20:53 EST
From: Mehboob Alam - Macintosh Monster <MD_MALAM@vaxc.stevens-tech.edu>
Subject: Apple SCSI formatter info ?

Hi,

Some time back, some one posted a sure-fire to force the Apple SCSI
program to recognize other manufacturers drives. Please post it
again.

It's fairly irritating that Apple's program refuses to recognize
non-Apple disks, even though they may be the exact same mechanism. If
it did, then everyone could use Apple's installer to make their disks
fully System 7.0 compatible. Drivers that are not "32-bit clean" or
not "re-entrant" cannot be used with System 7.0's virtual memory
function.

Mehboob Alam
MD_MALAM@SITVAX.STEVENS-TECH.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 12:32:14 EDT
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: Color Icon design/editing

In early April I posted the following request to Info-Mac:

>  We are interested in color Icon design/editing and have been told that
>  ColorBits (1.0) is the application of choice.  Other options, comments,
>  flames etc. are welcome, as I've not been able to locate a copy (archie
>  comes up empty) to evaluate personally.  Thanks for any/all tips and
>  suggestions ....

Several respondents recommended ResEdit 2.x as a better solution for color
icon manipulation.  I've had a copy of ResEdit 1.2 that I've used off/on
for the past several years, but prompted by these comments (and others) I
ordered "Zen and the Art of Resource Editing" (which includes ResEdit 2.1)
>From BMUG.  Another plug for "Zen ..." in MacUser some weeks ago has made
it a runaway best seller, so much so that back-orders of the 2nd Edition
are shipping from the printer just this week.

In the interim [while waiting patiently for "Zen ...." to arrive], I
discovered another shareware option called IconLab.  IconLab 1.1b1 was
written (c1990) by Tim Wasco and "allows the creation and editing of icI8
resources.  These are 8-bit color icons that the New Finder of System 7.0
will [sic] use and that SunDesk [1.1] currently uses.  In addition to icI8
resources, IconLab also supports cicn, ICON and ICN# resources."  This
utility is a joy to use, and makes color icon design/editing a snap, even
for an icon-designing neophyte as I.  IconLab (and documentation) is
currently available by anonymous ftp from:

   [bongo.cc.utexas.edu  in  /microlib/mac/util/icon-lab-11b1.hqx; 75K]

				Cheers from the Chesapeake -- Jim

Jim Love <jeteye@cbl.umd.edu>  Univ. of Maryland System / Solomons, Md

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 10:40:46 +0300
From: "David L. Hirschberg" <BNHIRSCH%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Dove Fax/Modem/Voicemail

Hello,

Several MacWeeks,ago I saw a short story about an new Dove Faxmodem that
also had voicemail included.  Have they started shipping yet?  I would
like to hear from anyone who has used one.

Thanks,
David L. Hirschberg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 15:03:07 CDT
From: kahn@informatics.wustl.edu (Michael Kahn)
Subject: Event logging INIT

Is there an INIT that will log all keyboard and mouse events that
is invisible to the running application?  We have a commerical
product (no access to the source code) that we would like to
track the user's keystrokes and mouse events into a log file
for analysis for "user-friendliness", etc.

Thanks for any info.
Michael Kahn
(kahn@informatics.WUSTL.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 09:20 EDT
From: <BRIGGSK%CITADEL.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: laserwriters on imagewriter cables

I ran across a user here who was connected to a Laserwriter II through
an imagewriter cable.  It worked, but it took 3 minutes to print a very
short document.  When we connnected her through localtalk it took 15
seconds to print the same document!

Kasey Briggs
The Citadel

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 1991 16:29:17 CDT
From: HAFFNER@ossenu.astro.nwu.edu (MATT HAFFNER)
Subject: Long distance runaround...

In IM-106 (v9), Murph Sewall writes:

> If you plan on making copies at your dealer or user group....

I have already contacted our dealer here on campus (Northwestern U.) and they
will only _sell_ copies of the new System 7 bound with the manuals for $89.
I also inquired about just copying the disks w/o purchasing the manuals. What's
the deal here? I don't NEED manuals right now, I'd just like to get it running
on my machine. Has Apple changed their policy regarding 'free' dealer/user
group copies, or is this a dealer-specific choice?

Matt Haffner
(haffner@ossenu.astro.nwu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 16:54:11 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL@vmtecqro.qro.itesm.mx>
Subject: MacII HDD troubles

On Fri, 10 May 91 11:08:52 PDT Bill Moynihan said:
>I have a 1988 vintage MacII with a hard disk problem.
>...                                      Symptoms are: 1)upon
>startup the floppy icon with `?' momentarily flashes and then
>proceeds normally with HDD icon in upper right corner; 2)booting
>with a "System Tools" or any other standalone diskette produces
>no HDD icon below it; 3)Apple HD SC Setup it is unable to locate any
>drive at all.

We used to have a machine like this, which deteriorated to the point of
refusing to start from the hard disk. The (inelegant) workaround that
the users followed was to stop and start the machine several times, using
the bypass switch on the back, until the disk caught and started.

The on-campus service center located the problem on the SCSI interface card
on the drive. After replacing that, the problem disappeared. This is the
card that plugs via the wide ribbon cable to the Mac II motherboard.

I've moved elsewhere, so I wouldn't know if the problem reared its ugly
head later on. Note that the physical media was not at fault and there was
no data loss (just a lot of frustration).

Hope this helps.

Juan Courcoul
Monterrey Tech.
Mexico

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 23:14:29 EDT
From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physics.mcgill.ca>
Subject: Mac LC games (?)

	Can a kind-hearted soul help me out?  I have been trying to pick
out a couple of fun (and hopefully colorful) games (to while away the hours)
>From the info-mac archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu (or anywhere else
for that matter).  However, every one I have picked up over the net has
turned out to not be compatible with my color LC (ie. Continuum).

	I have the 256-color LC.  Each game I get either requires the
high-res color board (like a II) or it doesn't seem to work.  I am getting
a bit worn-out with this miss-and-miss process and I would love a few
pointers to some tried-and-true LC-compatible games which are fun.

	I wouldn't mind some fast-action arcade-type games but I won't
turn down games like Chess, Go, or D&D stuff.

Many thanks,

Loki (loki@physics.mcgill.ca)

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 91  8:57 -0500
From: "C.M. Cho" <ccho@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: Monitor for LC

I use a NEC MacSync HC 13" monitor (excellent monitor) on
a IIsi at home and a 12" monitor on an LC at the university
and there is a big difference in quality. The 12" monitor
only has a 64 dpi resolution, and the visible area of your
work is much smaller than with the 13" monitor. It doesn't
bother me when I haven't worked at home for a while, but when
I switch to the 12" soon after I develop pretty terrific
eyestrain. To me the screen also seems a bit fuzzy. If you
can afford it, spring for the 13" and vRAM(unless you want
16 bit color, in which case you're stuck with the 12") BTW,
I thought I saw a magazine ad with the Apple 13" listed at
$499! Surely they didn't slash their prices so much!?

Connie K. Cho

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 04:15:06 GMT
From: gnaimo@cc.uow.edu.au (Greg Naimo)
Subject: MS Mail and Internet

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>>Is Microsoft Mail a good mail system?  Does it have an interface to
>>Internet-type mail.  If this isn't the right list to ask those questions,
>>the right list doesn't exist.
>>
>>        Bob
>
>I prefer QuickMail for several reasons, some of them personal, some of them
>technical, but I do think it has a better system for connecting to the rest of
>the world. Contact CE Software at (515) 224-1995 for more info.
>
>pat
We evaluated Microsoft Mail Vs QuickMail for a campus wide application, and
chose Microsoft. It was less 'user feature' rich but far better engineered in
a number of areas. In any case the new V3 of MS Mail has most of the features
that Quickmail offered. We use the Gator Mail product for access to Internet.

Greg Naimo
University of Wollongong
Australia.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 09:58:29 EDT
From: barnett@pluto.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett)

>Is Microsoft Mail a good mail system?  Does it have an interface to
>Internet-type mail.

We use MS Mail and an TCP Interface developed by Star*9 and sold by
Cayman.

If you had this package, you could even send me a Microsoft Mail 2.0 mail
enclosure to my Mac address
	barnett@macgw1.crd.ge.com

Here are some phone numbers I have:

Cayman 617-494-1999    FAX:   617-494-9270
Cayman Systems, 26 Landsdowne Street. Cambridge, MA 02139
Star*9 tech support 415 548 0936  (FAX 415 548 0393)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 16:12:42 EDT
From: rocket!cory@uunet.uu.net (Cory Myers)
Subject: Reading X windows screen dumps into a Mac

I am looking for a tool that will allow me to import X windows screen
dumps into a a Mac graphics program.  I generate X windows screen
dumps with xwd and then turn them into postscript using either xpr
(b&w) or xwd2ps (color).  I've tried Adobe Illustrator but keep
getting erros reading in the postscript.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 1991 15:38 EDT
From: SRIDAR@petvax.medcor.mcgill.ca
Subject: Slide making software

Hi,

Our lab is in need of some good colour slide making software.  Ideally,
we would like to be able to integrate text, (vector) graphics and
(bitmapped) medical images.  We have a bunch of SPARCstations and a
couple of Sun 3 (180 & 280) workstations.  Does anyone know of the
definitive slide maker for Sun machines?  Better yet, (from my own
self-seeking point of view) does a good software Mac emulator exist
for the Sun that would allow us to use something like Persuasion?
Price is very much an object!

Sridar Narayanan
sridar@petvax.medcor.mcgill.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 12:52:08 BST
From: Marcus Harvey <marcus@sun.pcl.ac.uk>
Subject: Studio/8 Question

Hello again!

	I am now the proud owner of a Macintosh IIci 8/80 which I bought second
hand from a UK company called MIdland Computer Brokers. Apart from the dismal
service (it was originally delivered a good 7 hours late with a dodgy monitor
and *no mouse*!, I now have a new mouse & 13" monitor but still no manual) I
am pleased as punch with owning a *real* computer at last (I also have an
Amiga 500 ;-)) at a price only a little more than I could get a brand new one
with a larger hard disk and a 16" monitor in the US ;-) (I'm a masochist, I
read the prices in the advertisements in MacWorld).

	Anyway, I bought the damn thing in the hope of getting out of computing
(don't ask how I got into it, it's a long story) and into making a living from
my art (don't laugh!). So I've got a painting going on Studio/8 and I want to
stick some text, well one word, vertically up the side. So I type the word in
72pt Avant Garde Bold in my little ScratchPad document, select it, rotate it
and paste it into the painting. Then I choose Resize selection and I start
stretching it... and the document stops auto-scrolling before I'm anywhere near
finished, and I read the manual and discover about the 'work area'.

	So, finally, this is what I want to know. My document is about 12"
tall and I have 8 megs of memory so why isn't my work area the whole document?
(It only takes up about 400-500k on disc). Would I be better off with
PixelPaint?

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.sun - JANET
marcus%sun.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 10:30:56 +0300
From: "David L. Hirschberg" <BNHIRSCH%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Termination on Apple 20 SCSI Drive

Hello Netters,

I would like to daisy chain a Dynafile disk drive, a GCC technologies
removable cartridge drive and an Apple 20 drive to an Mac SE.  I would
like to get some clarification on termination.  Do I need a terminator?
Is the Apple 20 external drive self terminated?  If it is, I should put
the terminated drive last, correct? If it is not, can someone suggest a
source for a terminator?

                 Thank you in advance,
                                  David L. Hirschberg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 1991 18:46:35 +0200
From: Enrique MIEDES <miedes@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: THINK Pascal 3.0 and MacApp.

I'm a user of THINK Pascal 3.0. I have all the compiler's disks, but some       folders of THINK MacApp are empties.

I need a little help (if it's possible).

					Enrique MIEDES
Thanks in advance			<miedes@etsii.unizar.es>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 11:51:29 -0200
From: Peter Kay <comqpk@hatfield.ac.uk>
Subject: Voice Navigator

It is now a year or more since I last asked through the columns of the digest
to make contact with other Voice Navigator users. For those of you who don't
know about it, it is a speech recognition device for the Mac. The only
more information about its functionality. Since then the software interface
has been improved enormously and Voice Navigator II is now being sold.
There are now many more users of this in mac-land and, once again, I would
like to make contact with other users.

	Peter Kay (comqpk@hatfield.ac.uk)

End of Info-Mac Digest