info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/16/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 15 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 109

Today's Topics:

      [*] DateTime Package
      [*] Heidelberg font
      [*] Middleton font
      [*] Typeface Reference Utility
      [*] util/macgrep-02.hqx
      Apple File Exchange
      bitmapped line drawings of humorous baseball cartoons
      Calculus Educational Software
      Dealers
      DEC WPS Plus to MS Word 4.0 Coversion?
      EBCDIC-ASCII ?
      Event logging INIT
      FTP site for System 7.0 (?)
      Good book on Typography?
      ImageWriter II
      ImageWriter II Question (Again)
      Long distance runaround...
      MacCompress and UNIX .Z files
      Macintosh Classic
      Mac Plus Color?
      MathWriter 2.0
      MEM INIT QUESTION
      missing apple
      Nil Pointers & Handles
      Rapport module
      Reading X windows screen dumps into a Mac
      Reprise: Using FDHD drives on old machines
      Software for anti-aliased fonts?
      SuperGlue II user:   HELP!
      System 36,38, AS400
      System 7 w/o Manuals

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 8:34:54 EDT
From: Leo W <Leo_W@qm.circa.ufl.edu>
Subject: [*] DateTime Package

This pair of programs enables you to maintain synchronized Macintosh
clocks on an AppleTalk internet/network.  These programs use only
the built-in AppleTalk protocols -- no extra protocol drivers
required.

The DateTimeServer is an application that runs under Finder or
MultiFinder.  Most sites would probably run it in the background
under MultiFinder, on a Mac that runs throughout the working day.

The SetDateTime INIT is a system startup INIT that runs on the users'
Macs when they start their Macs.  It is not persistent, nor does
it patch any traps.  It simply looks for the DateTimeServer and,
if found, gets the correct date and time and sets the Mac's clock.

This is freeware.  Unbinhex and unstuff the file, then read the
README file for configuration/installation details.  Then take
control of the clock chips in your Macintosh labs!!!!!

Sincerely,
Leo---

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/set-date-time.hqx; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 23:28:08 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Heidelberg font

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the Heidelberg
font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive containing the Heidelberg
PostScript font as it was originally received by me (bitmap, downloadable
PostScript file(s), and perhaps documentation and/or AFM files).  I've
added a suitcase file which contains a TrueType version of the font,
created by FontMonger 1.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/heidelberg.hqx; 168K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 23:28:56 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Middleton font

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the Middleton
font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive containing the Middleton
PostScript font as it was originally received by me (bitmap, downloadable
PostScript file(s), and perhaps documentation and/or AFM files).  I've
added a suitcase file which contains a TrueType version of the font,
created by FontMonger 1.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/middleton.hqx; 135K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 18:33:20 PDT
From: blane@dcs.etdesg.trw.com
Subject: [*] Typeface Reference Utility

Here's TypeBook v2.0.  What is it? Here's an excerpt from the documentation:

--- theTypeBook )1990 by Jim Lewis

theTypeBook is a Mac utility which aids in the creation and maintenance of
a typeface reference book. This type of reference is extremely popular in
the Graphics and Typesetting industries. It helps people (both clients and
employees) select typefaces by demonstrating the various artistic
attributes of each face on a printed page. theTypeBook is compatible with
virtually all printers.

---

TypeBook will print a page in the selected typeface (e.g., Times-Roman).
Each page consists of the alphabet, numbers, and punctuation at 6,7,8,9,
10,12,14,18, and 48 points. This is followed by three side-by-side columns
of sample text at 9, 10, and 11 points. At the bottom are informational
charts showing point size to chars/pica and cap height to approximate point
size.  Please don't ask me what these mean!

This is freeware unless you wish the author to provide a version with
custom sample text to be printed on each reference page.

Enjoy!

/Blane Yamamoto/

[Archived as /info-mac/app/type-book.hqx; 99K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 91 21:04 CDT
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] util/macgrep-02.hqx

     I spent quite a while trying to locate a program on the Macintosh which
performs the same function as "grep" on UNIX systems, namely that one can
output from one file specific lines, which match a specified pattern, to
another file -- a sort of extracting of lines. I finally found a program which
does this on page 117 and 165 of "The C Programming Language" (second edition)
by Kernighan and Ritchie, 1988, Prentice Hall. What I simply did was to port
this small program to the Macintosh while still retaining the UNIX-style
command-line argument function. I also used a modified version of the function
found on page 279 of "Algorithms in C" by Sedgewick, 1990, Addison-Wesley. The
major modifications were to make the program work with 2-byte encoded Japanese
text in SHIFT-JIS code.
     As many may know, "grep" is a UNIX function which stands for "global
regular expression print," and is used to print lines from files based on
pattern matching. This particular version of grep only has a few features, and
I plan to add more in the near future.

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/mac-grep-02.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 91 08:23:21
From: Thierry Jurand <Thierry_Jurand.BART@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
Subject: Apple File Exchange

        Reply to:   Apple File Exchange
Hi netters,

The topic is: how to navigate best in the realm of word
processors ?

I would like to know where and how it is possible to obtain (PD, Shareware,
etc...) translator files which work with Apple File
Exchange, in particular from/to MS Word 4.0, Write Now 2.0,
MacWrite II, WordPerfect, RTF, DCA.

Alternatively, I would like to know if there are other programs (commercial,
PD, shareware, etc...) which do the same job.

Please, answer directly to me; if I receive many answers I will summarize for
the archives.

Thierry Jurand
Internet: jurand@ece.drexel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 11:50 EDT
From: ROIHAR%CRL.AECL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: bitmapped line drawings of humorous baseball cartoons

I'm looking for a bitmap of a humorous baseball cartoon or caricature
for use in creating T-shirts with a Tek 4693DX colour thermal wax printer.
Any floating around out there in net-land?? Colour is not required but
would be appreciated. Thanx in advance...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 21:50:29 GMT
From: kerr@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Stan Kerr)
Subject: Calculus Educational Software

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>          I'm thinking of getting software packages that teach calculus
>and ordinary differential equations.  After calling MacConnection,
>MacZone, and MacWarehouse I came up with calculus packages from
>Broderbund ($57-58), Sensei ($58), and True Basic ($39).  Are there any
>others (including free/shareware)?  Would any of you readers be willing
>to tell me your experiences using Mac-based calculus software?  I will
>summarize to the digest if I get any responses.

>James A. Muysenberg

You should also look at Calculus/TL from Brooks-Cole. It's $39.95 for
a single user copy; lab and site licenses are available. It's based
on the Maple package from Waterloo. Here's an address and phone:

     Brooks/Cole Publishing Company
     Department TLFS
     511 Forest Lodge Road
     Pacific Grove CA 93950
     408-373-0728

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 08:38 EDT
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Dealers

Matt Haffner was asking about dealers who refuse to give away copies of System
7.0...

I used to work for a dealer and I remember when HyperCard first came out the
same sort of question arose.  The problem was that the license agreement was
worded in such a way as to make it look like it would be illegal for the dealer
to distribute free copies, even without the manual.  I even went so far as to
contact Apple's corporate HQ in Cupertino.  The rep I talked to consulted with
Apple legal department and called me back with an answer that was so vague I
couldn't make out whether she was saying "It's ok for dealers to do it" or
whether she meant "Some dealers do it, but we'll burn 'em if we catch 'em."
And yet, all the while, the software was available on CompuServe, and available
through users groups.  I imagine System 7.0 is probably in a similar morass of
legal ambiguity.  What it looks like to me is that Apple, the company, doesn't
have any objections at all to dealers giving away free copies, but Apple's
legal staff insists that Apple not actually give official permission for this.
(Sigh).  Anyone from Apple care to comment?

Mark Nutter [manutter@grove.iup.edu]

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 91 15:34:45 GMT
From: mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS)
Subject: DEC WPS Plus to MS Word 4.0 Coversion?

I have colleagues with a number of DEC VMS WPS+ files on their microVAX. I am
trying to migrate them to Macs. Their VAX has only serial lines and kermit for
transfering. I have MacLink Plus, and it seems willing to offer WPS Plus to
Word as a translation option for MS-DOS to Mac, but as the file has been
kermitted to a Mac disk, this option never gets presented to me. I have read
the FM, but it doesn't cover this. Before I go trying to find my serial number
and the number for tech support, does anyone know how best to do this?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 19:53:37 GMT
From: Emmanuel CASTRO <CASTRO%FRMOP11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: EBCDIC-ASCII ?

Hi everybody

Help. Does someone know where I could find an
EBCDIC-ASCII translator (source or ready to use application)
or an EBCDIC-ASCII convertion table ?

If you have something, please, send it to me.
Thanks in advance.

Emmanuel CASTRO (BITNET: CASTRO@FRMOP11)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 13:20:26 MET DST
From: gs@statlab.uni-heidelberg.de (G. Sawitzki)
Subject: Event logging INIT

Michael Kahn asked for an init to track keystrokes and mouse events.
You can use the NetWork processor, available on the developer CD.
Switch on the "logging" option using the NetWork control panel
extension.
The events to be logged are controlled by a string list resource
(Str# -4035). A leading dot masks that event. If you are testing
your user interface, you should set the time before logging starts
to a smaller time than those provided. The timing constants are
given in the NetW resource -4064.
The recent version of the NetWork Processor is on
   statlab.uni-heidelberg.de [129.106.113.100]
 Guenther

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 9:31:10 PDT
From: LIVESEY@merry.rad.washington.edu (John Livesey)
Subject: FTP site for System 7.0 (?)

Hello all:

Those of you who aren't "certified developers" may or may not know that Apple
has maintained system software archives of the last few system releases on
their mainframe ("apple.com" a.k.a. 130.43.2.2) with FTP access.  Like a good
snoop, I went looking for system 7.0 on Monday (actually on Friday in
anticipation), expecting that the disk images might be posted there on the
day of introduction.  Instead I found a note (in pub/dts/mac/sys.soft folder,
I believe) entitled SYSTEM7.README, the text of which follows:

>System 7.0 will NOT be posted on Apple.com (130.43.2.2), so do not bother
>connecting to this machine looking for it.  In addition, all of the archives
>on this machine are moving to ftp.apple.com (130.43.2.3).  Please check that
>machine for further details on the status of the Apple FTP site.  Thanks for
>your continued patience...
>
>Mark B. Johnson
>Developer Support
>mjohnson@apple.com

Since this message didn't explicitly state that System 7.0 _would_ be posted
to this new site, I e-mailed Mr. Johnson a short note inquiring about FTP
access to System 7.0.  Here is his response:

It is on ftp.apple.com, but we are fixing a few problems from the load
bringing that machine down.  Look for it later this evening or tomorrow
morning.

Mark

(woops, I forgot to put in the > marks... The last paragraph and signature
are from Mark Johnson).

So, there we stand... The "later this evening" refers to Tuesday, 14 May.
It is now Wednesday, 15 May 0930 PST and I still can't access this machine,
so I'm being patient.  (at least as patient as I can be)  Those of you who
just want to get a copy of the system for testing might periodically try
this address to see if it is accessible yet.

Now that I've increased my competition for access, I can get back to work on
what I should be doing...

Cheers

John Livesey, University of Washington, Seattle
LIVESEY@MERRY.RAD.WASHINGTON.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 12:06:02 SDT
From: "Alexander Falk (ALF)" <K360950%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.AT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Good book on Typography?

I've been running across a couple of typesetting issues in the last
few weeks and while I now know about ligatures and kerning and
hanging punctuation, I still lack the overview which is probably
necessary to do good-looking typesetting on a computer (I almost don't
even dare calling it typesetting....).

What I'd like to know is this: is there a "standard" book on
typography, that includes both an introduction of basic typesetting
concepts and also on more advanced topics, which is still readable
for non-typographic experts? Any recommendation would be highly
appreciated!

AL exander  F alk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 16:11:36 -0400
From: bww@po.cwru.edu (Brian W. Wolf)
Subject: ImageWriter II

  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix (or replace) the magnet attached
to the cover?  I tried to short the sensor, but I think the circuit has to be
broken in order to have it work without the magnet.  And I can't seem to find
a magnet that small and strong enough to trip the sensor.   Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91  13:41:49 EDT
From: ZAK@cu.nih.gov
Subject: ImageWriter II Question (Again)

Remember me?  I'm the one trying to figure out how to use the
ImageWriter II's built-in fonts but having a problem with the
printer not knowing when to skip to the next page.  I've had mail
>From a number of people with ideas, but no solutions.

Well, that's not true.  A number of the solutions aren't workable
for the simple fact that it requires change DIP switch settings;
the ImageWriter II is my primary printer, and I use it for drafts
and finals in the same session.  A software solution is a must,
and although one helpful soul suggested that there was an Esc
code to set the number of lines per page from within Word (using
Esc codes in Word is how I'm accessing the ImageWriter II's
fonts), but he couldn't remember it, and I can't find what it is.

Anyone have a clue?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 08:32:55 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Long distance runaround...

On Tue, 14 May 1991 16:29:17 CDT Matt Haffner said:
>I have already contacted our dealer here on campus (Northwestern U.) and they
>will only _sell_ copies of the new System 7 bound with the manuals for $89.
>I also inquired about just copying the disks w/o purchasing the manuals. What's
>the deal here? I don't NEED manuals right now, I'd just like to get it running
>on my machine. Has Apple changed their policy regarding 'free' dealer/user
>group copies, or is this a dealer-specific choice?

Apple's policy is unchanged.  Dealers are NOT required to make copies or
let you make them.  The are PERMITTED to let you make copies.  System 7 is
a total of 8 (or 10?) 800K disks not just the one or two it used to be.
It's not surprising that dealers may not be enthusiastic about having every
Mac owner in the area crowding the store making System 7 copies and not
buying anything (or not buying much).

Several months from now when the number of requests for System disk copies
is low, it will probably be much easier to find a dealer that will allow
you to copy a set.  In the meantime, a user group is likely to be your best
route (neither local user group had received a set yesterday, but I'm told
they should be receiving copies of System 7 shortly -- next 10 days??).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 7:39:01 CDT
From: WKULECZ@medics.jsc.nasa.gov (KULECZ, WALTER B. / KRUG-TLS)
Subject: MacCompress and UNIX .Z files

I'm having trouble with the X window sources from MIT.  When I run Apple's
A/UX v. 2.0 uncompress I get a garbage file unreadable by tar.  When I run the
A/UX version of sum on the ftp'd  .Z files from MIT the checksums do not match
either the 4.3BSD of system V values published by MIT in checksums.txt
However, if I bring one of these .Z files to our Sun the via a 1.44 MB floppy
the checksum matches and uncompress produces output tar can use.  I had hoped
that MacCompress would solve my problem but when I run it on these files it
complains "Bad Magic Error" and quits without doing anything.  Using the Sun is
not the solution because at present it is an isolated, dedicated system and a
1.44 MB floppy is my only way to exchange data with my Mac IIfx.

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 91 00:58:00 EST
From: "DAVID BALCOM" <dbalcom@gmuvax.gmu.edu>
Subject: Macintosh Classic

I'm looking into buying a Macintosh Classic, the 2mb/40mb HD deal from
Apple.  I can get it for $1124 with an educational discount, which seems
like a very good deal.  I've heard that Apple's internal hard drives are
dog slow but reliable.  My question is this: would I be better off buying
just the 1mb/no HD for $749 and adding a third party hard drive?  The
question really depends on how slow Apple's drive is in a Classic, and
whether disk performance is a factor to begin with.  Thanks in advance,

David Balcom
internet: dbalcom@gmuvax.gmu.edu
bitnet: dbalcom@gmuvax

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 17:18 CDT
From: SHAPIRNA@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Mac Plus Color?

I would like to upgrade my Mac Plus to have a 68030 and run a NEC 14" 3D
Color Monitor.  Any "cheap" ideas?
Andy Shapira [shapirna@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, May 15, 1991 8:48:05 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: MathWriter 2.0

MathWriter 2.0

I'm posting this now so that I don't have to butt in every time someone asks
about MathType or Expressionist.

If you are looking for a program that will create fancy mathematical and
scientific equations, you should definitely check out MathWriter 2.0. It is a
full fledged word processor with a feature set to rival Nisus and Word
(although Nisus's features are usually quite differentQWord's aren't). Some of
the features that you might like include (this information is taken from the
blurb from Brooks/Cole and the demo I saw a while back):

- text-based mathematical equations that are fully editable (so you don't have
to exit to another program to edit them) (mega-cool)
- automatic numbering of equations, tables, figures, etc.
- automatic revision control for editing purposes (this is snazzy!)
- a library for storing repeated bits of text, equations, or pictures
- excellent table-making abilities
- a science/math/engineering supplemental dictionary
- user styles
- spelling checker
- ability to print to the ImageWriter, LaserWriters, or any higher resolution
PostScript device without file modification
- on-screen line numbering
- hidden memos within text
- on-screen editing of multiple columns
- ability to view pages in different scales
- Thesaurus and Hyphenation
- online help
- text and graphics sidebars
- Find/Replace for mathematical expressions
- automatic line spacing for two-dimensional equations
- ability to handle PostScript, bitmapped, and object graphics
- ability to align on user selected characters, such as equal sign
- ability to import RTF documents (so you can just throw out Word)

As far as the details go, there is an "educational version" which is somewhat
stripped down but will run better on slower machines (i.e., less than an LC)
with less than 2 MB of RAM, which is the requirement for the "professional
version." The educational version is $99 and the professional version is $395.
You can get a free demo disk - call 408/373-0728 and ask the Brooks/Cole
representative.

A friend who beta tested MathWriter at Cornell said that it was worlds better
than creating equations in one of the other programs and pasting them into
Word, which is an awfully clumsy solution to the problem. I personally have
only used it a little bit, and as I don't ever do anything with equations, I
can't vouch for its power there (though everyone else I've asked was
impressed). However, I was extremely impressed by the general word processing
power (I do a lot of that) and the excellent interface. It doesn't do grep or
the fancy macros that Nisus can do, so I probably won't switch, but I'll admit
that I was tempted. The final thing I liked about MathWriter is that they
implemented the ability to accept modules written later on. I don't know
offhand what they are planning to do, but that ability will allow them to
extend MathWriter indefinitely.

cheers .... Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

(and no, I'm not related to the company in any way, although I do know the
programmer slightly)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 14:18 EST
From: MWILSON@scivax.stsci.edu
Subject: MEM INIT QUESTION

Hi,

Does anynone know if System 7 corrects the bug in the memory manager?? I
guess the question is if MMinit is still needed on my new IIsi??  I haven't
heard anything about this.

Thanks,

Michael Wilson
MWILSON@STSCI

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 12:35:22 -0400
From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)
Subject: missing apple

Recently I notice that the apple on the upper-left corner of the screen is
not always there. I can still pull down Apple Menu by clicking at that
corner though. Does anybody know the reason? I have a IIcx with 5Mb ram
running system 6.05.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chou

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 19:53 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Nil Pointers & Handles

The INIT you are looking for, Hisham, is called "Mr. Bus Error", and it should
be on the APDA Developer's CD series.
What it does is that, if it finds a pointer to 0L, it bombs with a Bus Error.
This is particularly useful when debugging your programs, but don't leave it
active if you use Microsoft Word! It bombs all the time!!!! :-)))

- Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 1991 23:43:10 EDT
From: kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu
Subject: Rapport module

I found a description of this item, which supposedly allows your MacPlus
to read 1.44 Megabyte disks, as well as DOS (maybe only MS-DOS) disks.
According to the descriptions all you need to do
is stick this module into the internal disk drive and voila!  (Qualification:
the advertisement said it could make the Mac READ the disks, not WRITE on them.

So:  who out there has one of these things and could give us a report on its
effectiveness?  (The parent company is Kennect).  And of
course, will it work with System 7?  Thanks in advance for your responses.
Bob Kosovsky   BITNET: kos@cunyvms1.bitnet  INTERNET:  kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 08:32:13 EDT
From: rocket!cory@uunet.uu.net (Cory Myers)
Subject: Reading X windows screen dumps into a Mac

In a previous note I asked for help getting an X window EPS dump read
into the Mac.  Well, I learned that I was misusing Adobe Illustrator
and was able to read the EPS in after all.  Now, since Adobe
Illustrator is not where I really want the image and it won't cut and
paste into another applicatioon what tools are there for converting
EPS to other, perhaps more useful, image formats?  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 15:04:45 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL@vmtecqro.qro.itesm.mx>
Subject: Reprise: Using FDHD drives on old machines

I sent this question out about two weeks ago, but since we had some severe
connectivity problems at around that time, and I haven't seen my posting
in any of the recent Info Mac digests, it got probably eaten by the
binary goblin lurking out there...

Anyway, the question is:

Is there any way to use an FDHD drive on one of the old macs that do not
have the FDHD code in the roms, WITHOUT having to change these ? I was
thinking of something like the HD20 or the AppleTalk inits, that install
the necessary patches in the system.

We recently received one of the drives, but since we haven't a single new
Mac, it just behaves like any other 800k drive when used. It seems to be
a waste of hardware, and I'd love to be able to transfer to/from our PS/2
machines without the hassle of MacLink+ et. al.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Juan Courcoul
Monterrey Tech
Queretaro, Mex.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 12:11:25 SDT
From: "Alexander Falk (ALF)" <K360950%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.AT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Software for anti-aliased fonts?

Now that either TrueType or Adobe Type Manager (ATM) gives us the
freedom to have nice types both on the screen and on non-PostScript
printers, I was wondering if there is a way to go one step further:

On a grayscale (or color) monitor it would produce even better-looking
types, if the fonts were rendered using a technique, which is known
as anti-aliasing. This is actually pretty simple: all you do is to
render the font and show pixels that are only partially contained
within the outline of the font in gray levels instead of simply making
them white or black only.

There is actually a feature in Letraset's new version of FontStudio,
that lets you create anti-aliased fonts (also known as grayscale fonts)
>From the outlines, but you have to create such a grayscale font for each
point size individually. To the best of my knowledge there is currently
no way to do this on the fly (i.e. this feature is currently missing
>From both ATM and TrueType).

Does anyone know whether either Apple or Adobe have plans to add anti-
aliasing to future versions of their products, or if any other company
is working on such a product?

AL exander   F alk

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 16:55:11 cdt
From: charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu
Subject: SuperGlue II user:   HELP!

Can you tell me if the Viewer bundled with SuperGlue II is any different

charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 91 15:01:34 EDT
From: Bryan Miller <bmiller@cabell.vcu.edu>
Subject: System 36,38, AS400

Is anyone out there currently connecting Macs to IBM System 34,
36, 38, or AS/400's?  If so, how easy is it?  What hardware/
software is required?  How much?

Any names, phone numbers, contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan Miller
bmiller@cabell.vcu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 91 19:16 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: System 7 w/o Manuals

>I have already contacted our dealer here on campus (Northwestern U.) and they
>will only _sell_ copies of the new System 7 bound with the manuals for $89.
>I also inquired about just copying the disks w/o purchasing the manuals.
>What's
>the deal here? I don't NEED manuals right now, I'd just like to get it running
>on my machine. Has Apple changed their policy regarding 'free' dealer/user
>group copies, or is this a dealer-specific choice?

This is, as it has always been, a dealer-specific choice. Dealers may, if they
choose, offer to copy disks for you, but nothing requires them to do so.

Many user groups are licensed to distribute Apple System Software, and they
will be receiving System 7. If you do not feel that the manuals will be
beneficial to you (you may wish to think this through), you may get the System
7 disks from your local user group.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 21:29:30 -0700
From: Matthew Curfmanm <curfmanm@cas.orst.edu>

OK, I know this has been addressed before, however I didn't need the info
at that point. :(

What I am looking for is some unix or mac tool that will allow me to convert
mac sounds to sun and vice versa.

Matt Curfman
curfmanm@cas.orst.edu
Computing Technology Unit, Oregon State University

End of Info-Mac Digest