info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/17/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 16 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 110

Today's Topics:

      [*] ChooserUser 1.1
      [*] Flash-It v.2.2b1
      [*] LaserwriterLockout 1.1
      [*] More Fish for After Dark
      [*] System 7 Compatibility Checker
      [*] TheStartupNews
      Anyone got an address for Iterated Systems !
      Apple Dealers and Free Copies
      AppleTalk version53
      A Simple Matter of Killing All the Lawyers
      Can you help?
      Color Icons in System 7.0
      Differential Equations Soft
      Drive 2.4 and Rapport
      dynopage, math writer, disklight
      Good book on typography
      Kermit file transfer tool found
      LaserJet III+PostScript+AppleTalk?
      LaserWriter and IW Cable
      Mac Classic (Vol 9 Issue 109)
      Macintosh Classic
      MacTerminal annoyances
      PKZIP FOR MAC PLUS IP ADDRESSES
      problems with different languages...
      Responder and Backgrounder
      SYSTEM7 and APPLE.COM
      ThunderWare
      Word Processors
      X11R4 installation for A/UX

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 14:58:10 EDT
From: volaski@contra.med.buffalo.edu (Maurice Volaski)
Subject: [*] ChooserUser 1.1

Announcing an all-new version of ChooserUser: 1.1. For system
administrators not familiar with ChooserUser, this program was
originally designed to control who change the user name in the
Chooser. The new version adds the ability to post a warning dialog
in the Chooser, and to extract the Appleshare name at startup and
make it the user name. In addition, the password protection in the
Control Panel has been completely redesigned. Still, ChooserUser
remains freeware.

Maurice Volaski

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/chooser-user-11.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1991 12:00 PST
From: Nobukazu Toge <TOGE@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Flash-It v.2.2b1

	      enclosed for widest possible distribution
	   a CPT-HQX file containing Vn. 2.2b1 of Flash-It
			 Shareware $15/copy

	Flash-It is a screen-capture cdev/init, which works in color
	and B&W mode with menus pulled down.  Captured images can be
	sent to clipboard, scrapbook, PICT files, rsrc files and printers.

This is a maintenance upgrade (from v.2.1) released primarily to
achieve compatibility with the Macintosh OS release version 7.0,
and it was labeled beta not because we feel it is still unstable or
in need of extensive testing, but because it was only possible to
test the program with pre-release versions of System 7.0 (b1, b4 and FC1);
as soon as System 7.0 is released by Apple, we will verify full compatibi-
lity and either drop the "beta" from version 2.2b1 or release a new update.

Some minor bugs were also fixed in this release.
Please, look at the included MacWrite doc for more details.

- Nobu Toge (Internet: 76334.650@compuserve.com)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/flash-it-22b1.hqx; 67K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 14:59:01 EDT
From: volaski@contra.med.buffalo.edu (Maurice Volaski)
Subject: [*] LaserwriterLockout 1.1

Announcing an all-new version of LaserwriterLockout: 1.1. For system
administrators not familiar with LaserwriterLockout, this program was
originally designed to hide specified Laserwriters from the the
Chooser. The new version expands on this idea, now being able to
hide any Chooser device. In addition, it can hide devices added to
the network without even changing the cdev configuration.
LaserwriterLockout now works with foreign versions of the Chooser,
and the password protection in the Control Panel has been completely
redesigned. Still, LaserwriterLockout remains freeware.

Maurice Volaski

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/laserwriter-lockout-11.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 15:51:50 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: [*] More Fish for After Dark

Someone asked for more fish for After Dark.  This archive contains
the original fish modules, including Halloween and Christmas fish.
None of these fish are as pretty as the ones included in After Dark
but they are kind of amusing.

Jon

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-more-fish.hqx; 49K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 1991 14:06:18 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] System 7 Compatibility Checker

Before ftp.apple.com went down due to massive FTP overload, I managed to ftp
the hypercard stack that checks out your software for compatibility with
system 7. I got permission to post it at sumex so here it is.

We will NOT be able to make system 7 available here at sumex because of
licensing restrictions. Ftp.apple.com will come back up someday and it will
have system 7 on it; please wait for notification to come from Apple before
trying to ftp it. Your futile ftp requests are making the resurrection of
ftp.apple.com even harder. I will make sure to post a notice in the digest
when that site is available.

Thanks,

Bill

[Archived as /info-mac/apple/sys/sys700-compat-checker.hqx; 711K]

PS. And that's no foolin'.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 9:24:36 EDT
From: Leo W <Leo_W@qm.circa.ufl.edu>
Subject: [*] TheStartupNews

	TheStartupNews 1.02
 (1991, Leo Wierzbowski)

	An INIT that displays a PC text file in a draggable, resizable,
	scrollable window on the Macintosh screen.  It filters out the
	peculiar IBM PC non-text characters (except carriage return of
	course), by replacing them with spaces.  No more ugly rectangles
	displayed for those linefeeds!  It also works with Macintosh text
	files.  The text file can be on a file server, providing AppleShare
	is set to automatically mount the server volume containing the
	text file.

	This is freeware.  Unbinhex and unstuff the file, then read the README
 file for the details on configuration and installation.  Then keep
 your Macintosh lab's news file up-to-date so folks will read it when
 it pops on their screens.

 Sincerely,
 Leo---

[Archived as /info-mac/init/the-startup-news-102.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 MAY 91 08:41:11 GMT
From: AEIC0456%VAX1.CENTRE.QUEENS-BELFAST.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Anyone got an address for Iterated Systems !

Tidbits 60 mentioned:

. . . Iterated Systems might top them all though, with its
compression board for PC-clones. The board can save a minute
and a half of moving video images on a 1.4 MB floppy . . .
technique uses fractal transformations, essentially replacing bits
with mathematical formulas. . . the hardware is required for
compression, but decompression can be software only and can
play video at 24 to 30 frames per second without hardware.

I've been trying to track down this company, Iterated Systems, for some
time now and get the hold of their demo floppy. I'd be grateful for any
pointers !

Thanks, George

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 09:54:07 EDT
From: ehorvath@attmail.att.com (Ned Horvath)
Subject: Apple Dealers and Free Copies

In 9-109, Murph Sewall writes:

> Apple's policy is unchanged.  Dealers are NOT required to make copies or
> let you make them.  The are PERMITTED to let you make copies.  System 7 is
> a total of 8 (or 10?) 800K disks not just the one or two it used to be.
> It's not surprising that dealers may not be enthusiastic about having every
> Mac owner in the area crowding the store making System 7 copies and not
> buying anything (or not buying much).

Y'know, I find this very mysterious.  Every other retailer on earth uses
"loss leaders," items advertised at prices at small or zero margin, or even
below cost (thus "loss" leader) just to get the customer into the store --
and then makes lots of other products look attractive so that you buy
more than you came for, or at least see things you can't afford but can
start to lust after, etc.

So here's a highly-publicised, long-awaited, gee-whiz giveaway deal; lotsa
customers crowding into the store; many of them will at least buy a box of
floppies (at the high margins the typical Apple dealer sells 'em for), and
the dealer has this great opportunity to bombard you with promotional
material and neat gee-whiz stuff to lust after.

Now, if I were a retailer under these circumstances, I'd be real happy.  I'd
have all my displays dusted off, I'd have lotsa neat gee whiz demos running
on my IIci's and IIfx's and IIsi's, I'd at LEAST get your name/address/phone
for my mailing list, maybe I'd even demand that you fill out an application
for Apple Credit, and show you how easily you can afford that IIsi while I
was at it...

Or, as in the typical war story we hear on the net, I can hang tough and
demand the $99, and leave a bad taste in the mouth of every customer.

Clearly, somebody doesn't understand retailing.  One theory is practiced
by K-Mart, Sears, and every supermarket and hardware store on the planet;
the other is practiced by a lot of Apple dealers.

Apple Franchise: the power to be a pest.  And a jerk.

I don't say ALL Apple dealers have this problem.  But those that do need to
get their heads straight.

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com
--

=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

------------------------------

Date: 16 May 91  8:21 -0700
From: Rick Sutcliffe <faith!Rick_Sutcliffe@cs.sfu.ca>
Subject: AppleTalk version53

           AppleTalk version53
If anyone has a copy of this version, could you mail it to me, please?  I
am trying to solve a compatibility problem with EtherTalk, and versions
55,56,and52 do not work properly.  I hear that 53 does, and don't know about 54.
 Thanks in advance.
Rick Sutcliffe
Cmpt Department
Trinity Western University
Reply to: rsutc@twu.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 10:41:59 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: A Simple Matter of Killing All the Lawyers

I have spoken with Mark Johnson at Apple, since I work just down the hall
>From him, and he is committed to providing FTP access to Apple software. He
just has to bust his ass to get permission from the goons.  We have briefly
talked about my assisting with the Apple FTP site once I get into the swing of
things and get an account on the gateway machine.

He also told me that Apple.Com gets over 70 breakin attempts a day.  They have
installed a firewall to prevent access to their internal net.  Everyone inside
the net has complete net functionality.  They just can't get out and no one
can get in.

More as it develops.  I've got to get down to the World Wide Developers
Conference for some more AppleEvents stuff.  It's pretty damn cool and I will
probably be mentioning some of it here.  Watch for it.

Jon "AE, it's a ligature (shift-option-quote)" Pugh

PS  System 7 is way rad and EVERYONE will want to upgrade!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 16:08:19 EDT
From: "Charles A. Patrick" <PATCHAS@vm.nrc.ca>
Subject: Can you help?

Recently I began looking into the possibility of replacing our existing, very
imposing, paper filing physical installation by an electronic one. I would see
it as having five essential components:

1. A Macintosh, preferably with a full-page monitor;

2. A Scanner with a sheet feeder as a primary input device;

3. Good quality OCR software;

4. An appropriate Data Base Management system.

5. A "WORM"-like storage device

The preference for a Macintosh is not entirely chauvinistic, it is more a
recognition of its Graphics-friendliness.

The precise sheet-feeder on the scanner would be a necessity to allow multi-
page documents to be read in with proper alignment. These could have
beneficial effect on the accuracy of the OCR operation.

The capture operation, in bare outline, could proceed as follows:

The document to be filed would be scanned and displayed on the screen. The
"objective" information like date, originating organisation, originating
individual, file and topic references etc., would be subjected to OCR,
immediately edited, and inserted in appropriate fields in a text-editable
"stub", essentially by reference to a standard questionnaire. In addition key
words summarising the contents of the document could also be entered into this
"stub" via keyboard and mouse-selection from essentially fixed menus, also
using the standard questionnaire format. This stub and the scanned graphic
would constitute the record which would be captured and stored on a "WORM"-
like medium.

The retrieval would use an elaborate Find-File function much like the one in
DiskTop or even GoFer or the like. The retrieved Graphic could be printed
directly, or be excerpted from by OCR.

In theory, such a system could be put in place for less than $7000.

Does anyone know of an installation of such a system?

Can anyone refer me to sources of information on scanners with sheet feeders?

What about experiences with recent versions of OCR software?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 1991 11:26 EST
From: MacPhreak! <JPONS@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: Color Icons in System 7.0

Hello!

I installed system 7.0 two days ago on my MAChine (Yes I got a copy from my
local dealer, he was so nice as to set up a computer just for people that want
to make copies of sys 7.0) anyway I have a Mac IIci and had all these colorful
Icons (icl8) using SunDesk. My problem is this now that I have sys 7.0 only the
applications that have icl8 resurces on them display a nice colored icon. I
know that in the get info box I can them paste the color icon for any
application or document, but this is incovinient to do for all of my files.
Could someone answer me these two questions?

1. If I paste the icons into the get info box the icon losses some of it's
colors I suspect this to be because of different 'clut' resources. Would there
be a problem if I replace the 'clut in the system file with the one on my
sundesk icons file?

2. It would be a lot easier if there was an application a la "sundesk Strip"
that searched my applications and compared them to my "icon gallery" file and
then placed the 'icl8' resources in the applications? This would be much easier
than doing it manually! Is there someone interested in writing such an
application?  Or is ther one already? I very much doubt the latter one!

If you have any comments, ideas or suggestions please E-mail to me and I'll
summarize to the net!

Thanks a lot!

Juan

INTERNET  JPons@Jack.ClarkU.Edu	     BITNET JPons@ClarkU        AOL MacPhreak

------------------------------

Date: 16 May 91 13:39:20
From: Thierry Jurand <Thierry_Jurand.BART@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
Subject: Differential Equations Soft

                       Subject:                               Time:1:35 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Differential Equations Software        Date:5/16/91
Hi netters,

This is an addition to inquiries about software packages that teach calculus
and ordinary differential equations. There are two applications which are used
as teaching aids and developed at Drexel University (MacIntosh based
University): "Differential Equations" and "Phase Portraits". Unfortunately I do
not know the status of this programs distribution outside the university. If
you are interested, please contact:

Dr. Herman E. Gollwitzer, Professor
Drexel University
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 895 2658

and you can cite me for quoting the software. I am in the ECE Department of
Drexel University.

Thierry Jurand
jurand@ece.drexel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, May 16, 1991 9:03:19 AM
From: Adam Engst <ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: Drive 2.4 and Rapport

Drive 2.4 and Rapport

Check out TidBITS#51/Drive_2.4 for a review of the Drive 2.4 and Rapport.
Rapport will certainly work by itself, but it's not usually much fun to only be
able to read disks and not write to them. For that you need the Drive 2.4 as well.

Note that Rapport will allow you to READ IBM 720K disks and READ & WRITE a
special 1.2MB Mac format that nothing else uses. It does NOT allow you to READ
or WRITE 1.44MB disks without the Drive 2.4. There's simply a limit to what an
800K drive can do.

cheers ... -Adam

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 09:09:06 EDT
From: Clare Durst <CCD@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: dynopage, math writer, disklight

Here are a couple of bugs I've uncovered recently.
a) the FACES DEMO in the archives doesn't work, as far as I can figure
out, although maybe it would if one had the commercial version of stuffit
to unstuff with.  (I think this has been posted before)

b) I just downloaded the new DYNOPAGE demo, with great anticipation.
Loaded the stuff it says to load into my system folder.  And restarted,
only to get a "bus error" message on my IIcx, and a bomb.  Had to
restart with a system disk and get it out of my system folder.  This was
the only modification I'd made, and sure enough, it's fine now. I'm using
6.0.7.

c) A friend using Mathwriter, Norton Utilities'Disklight, and After Dark
was having frequent crashes.  He thought it was Mathwriter, but no, apparently
Disklight interferes with many things, including (in this instance) the
spawning fish in After Dark.  BTW, he LOVES Mathwriter, has just published
a hundred page thesis with it, has found the support very helpful, and
is of course delighted that it wasn't THAT crashing, it was the fish/light
combo.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 22:07:19 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Good book on typography

The Thames and Hudson Manual of Typography by Ruari McLean (London,
Thames and Hudson, 1980) is a good book on typography.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 14:34:10 PDT
From: "William J. Lipa" <lipa@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermit file transfer tool found

A week or two ago I posted a message asking for help locating a Kermit
file transfer tool for use with the Communications Toolbox. Thanks to the
many responses, I was able to get my hands on a beta copy of such a tool.
It is from:

   Seaquest Software
   4200 N.W. Columbia Avenue
   Portland Oregon, 97229

   Voice: (503) 645-2282
     Fax: (503) 629-8442

and they can be reached through email at D0937@applelink.apple.com.

They are also working on a Zmodem tool; that is in beta also.

Thanks again to those who responded,

Bill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 09:57:48 CDT
From: John Valdes <valdes@geosun.uchicago.edu>
Subject: LaserJet III+PostScript+AppleTalk?

Hello all,

  We have an HP LaserJet III which we want to connect to our macs.  To do this
we plan on buying a PostScript cartridge and an AppleTalk interface.  However,
both HP and Pacific make these products.  Does anyone know which are better?
We want the fastest combination of PostScript and AppleTalk plus as complete
PostScript compatibility as possible.  I'd appreciate any comments (good or
bad) from anyone using either of these cartridges and/or interfaces.  In
regards to the HP AT interface, does this install in the I/O expansion slot
in the LJIII, or is it a separate box which connects to the parallel port, like
the Pacific interface?

Thanks in advance for your reply.  If possible, please email me directly, and
I will summarize if there's interest.

John Valdes
valdes@geosun.uchicago.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 07:27:48 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: LaserWriter and IW Cable

>If you want to do this, and you understand what you're doing
>(building a 2 node AppleTalk network that can never expand, a
>provocative concept), I'd say it's OK, but be prepared to face some
>confused dealer support people if you ever have a problem and need
>their assistance.

If a dealer support person is confused by this, he or she is
definitely in the wrong business!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 11:02 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Mac Classic (Vol 9 Issue 109)

David Balcom writes:

>I'm looking into buying a Macintosh Classic, the 2mb/40mb HD deal from
>Apple.  I can get it for $1124 with an educational discount, which seems
>like a very good deal.  I've heard that Apple's internal hard drives are
>dog slow but reliable.  My question is this: would I be better off buying
>just the 1mb/no HD for $749 and adding a third party hard drive?  The
>question really depends on how slow Apple's drive is in a Classic, and
>whether disk performance is a factor to begin with.  Thanks in advance,

I did just that (sort of, I had an Apple external 80 already) and am pleased
with the result. The 80 is a reasonably fast drive (I guess) but the Classic is
no speed demon. I don't find disk access to be unacceptable with the external
80, so I'd guess that a third party external would be fine. I am getting tired
of the keyboard, and plan to buy a third party replacement ASAICAI.

Hope this helps: Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 08:41:29 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintosh Classic

On 15 May 91 00:58:00 EST you said:
>I'm looking into buying a Macintosh Classic, the 2mb/40mb HD deal from
>Apple.  I can get it for $1124 with an educational discount...
>My question is this: would I be better off buying
>just the 1mb/no HD for $749 and adding a third party hard drive?  The
>question really depends on how slow Apple's drive is in a Classic, and
>whether disk performance is a factor to begin with.  Thanks in advance,

Adding memory to a 1MB Classic requires a little add-in board as well
as the SIMMs.  As I understand it, the $149 1 MB memory upgrade from
Apple includes that board (and leaves two empty SIMM slots to which you
probably want to add 3rd party RAM).

So...

Classic with 2 MB and NO HD - $749 + $149 = $898
105 MB external Quantum $369 + $16.50 (shipping) = $385.50 (from APS)

Total ($898 + $385.50) = $1283.50

That's an extra 65 MB of hard disk for about $160.  Looks like a good
deal from here.

I've watched a few Classics work and haven't noticed that the HD speed is
any problem (a Mac SE/30 is MUCH faster than a Classic, but that's as much
due to the processor as the HD -- in fact it could be ALL due to the
processor, they may use the same HD in both machines).  The Quantum 105
is a VERY fast and VERY quiet drive.

I'd say a big thing from your point of view is the memory.  I've got a
rented Mac+ at home and I find working in 1 MB VERY frustrating.  I really
recommend you get 4 MB (you'll be glad you did ever time you type a letter
to your Aunt Millie while downloading System disks in background :-)

Speaking of System disks; a 1 MB Classic will ship with System 6.0.8 NOT
System 7 (that will be true even if you order the memory expansion kit
because System 7 also requires a HD).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 12:03 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: MacTerminal annoyances

Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with MacTerminal and/or knows of
solutions.

The Setup:
MacTerminal 3.0 running under MultiFinder 6.0, System 6.0.7, MacIIcx, no INITs,
connected via LAT Tool to a VAX running VMS 5.x

The Problems:
1) Screen updating: If one holds down a key (auto repeat) one does not seen the
   characters  produced (or deleted) until the key is released.
2) Screen updating: Sometimes, not always, when moving the cursor up in TPU
   the existing lines below the cursor move down, but the cursor does not move
   up resulting in a gap between the lines on the screen. This gap is NOT
   actually in the file, i.e. if you force a full screen refresh (by calling up
   help and then going back to the document) the lines are not separated.
3) Slow response to ctrl-S: several screens of text will scroll by after a
   ctrl-S is sent.

Any insights you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance: Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 20:03:27 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: PKZIP FOR MAC PLUS IP ADDRESSES

First, thanks to the amazing number of replies I got for the
ip addresses of zaphod and aux.support.apple.com, I managed to
successfully ftped stuff. You guys (and girls) are absolutely
fantastic.

My next question concerns pkzip for the Mac. I have many zipped
files created on with pkzip.com on the IBM PC which I must unzip
on my Mac. Seems both unzip 1.01 and ZipPop does not work at
all. They kept giving bad crc error detection messages.

I need a version for the Mac that will work. Is there also a
version for the unix?

Please reply to isstth@nusvm and I summarize. Thanks a zillion.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 16:37:43 SET
From: "Christian Fritze ( 'WonkoTheSane' )" <CKFB14%DDOHRZ11.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: problems with different languages...

Hi to everybody!

Every now and then I come across a problem which isn't really serious
but keeps annoying me: all postings to this list are written in English
(quite alright - most people understand it so this causes the largest
amount of feedback to the queries). Unfortunately (? ;-) not every
Mac understands English! People in different countries use different
language versions of the MacOS and of their applications. So when
somebody on this list reports a problem with some very special
function which isn't used very frequently I would probably need to
know the name of that function in my own (german in this case) version
of the OS/application to identify it properly. I think there should
be some kind of 'permutated index' of Mac words (names of buttons,
functions, error messages etc) in different languages! Does anybody
know about such an index (where, how, how much...)
Related to this I would like to see an index of incompatibilities
due to different languages of the OS and the application. For example
I heard some rumors about the english version of Quark Xpress 3.0
not working with the german OS. Information like this would of course
be very important when buying software by mail order.
Is there something like this?
Any hint appreciated!

Virtually yours,
Christian Fritze ( 'WonkoTheSane' )
<fill in your favourite disclaimer here...>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 1991 6:32:02 EDT
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Responder and Backgrounder

COuld someone tell me what backgrounder and responder do.  I have a
printer directly hooked up to my SE, but my firend has Appletalk with
his laser and his imagewriter.   He uses the Apple spooler, print
monitor, and he wants to know if he need those two files.  DO I need
backgrounder?  I use a DeskWriter and an Imagewriter.

Kieran

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU
IOCONNOR@SUNRISE (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 16 May 91 14:49:00 EDT
From: "CAPT. RICHARD BERRY" <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: SYSTEM7 and APPLE.COM

I found this on APPLE.COM where they used to keep the Mac OS files.  It
may interest a few Mac users.

"System 7.0 will NOT be posted on Apple.com (130.43.2.2), so do not bother
connecting to this machine looking for it.  In addition, all of the archives
on this machine are moving to ftp.apple.com (130.43.2.3).  Please check that
machine for further details on the status of the Apple FTP site.  Thanks for
your continued patience...

Mark B. Johnson
Developer Support
mjohnson@apple.com"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 1991 21:04 GMT+1
From: FRICCI%ITOPOLI.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: ThunderWare

Does anybody have the AppleLink, internet, bitnet or CompuServe address of
ThunderWare?

Thank you very much!
- Alberto Ricci.
FRICCI@POLCLU.TO.CNR.IT

------------------------------

Date: 16 May 91 17:22:00 EST
From: "DAVID BALCOM" <dbalcom@gmuvax.gmu.edu>
Subject: Word Processors

Thanks to everyone who replied about my Mac HD query.  I think I'll
probably go with Apple's internal.  Now that I've got it settled, I
need one last bit of help.  I want to use the Mac for writing at home,
and my Toshiba laptop everywhere else.  I'm quite happy with my 24-pin
Panasonic printer (plus I can't afford Mac printers), so I need a
word processor that can both write to and receive files from WordPerfect
5.1 (IBM).

I know that WordPerfect 2.0 for the Mac is capable of doing just that, but
it's also big bucks.  Are there any cheaper word processors that can
(or better word processors) accomplish that same feat?  Maybe a third-
party transator?  I'd rather keep it to one program, and for that reason,
I would't mind going the WordPerfect route, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Anyone else do this (use WP 5.1 & a Mac simultaneously)?

Thanks again,

David Balcom
Fairfax, VA
internet - dbalcom@gmuvax.gmu.edu
bitnet - dbalcom@gmuvax

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 14:32:29 GMT
From: dpugsle@nswc-wo.navy.mil (Donald Pugsley)
Subject: X11R4 installation for A/UX

I am trying to get X11 running on my A/UX system (Mac IIx, A/UX 2.01).
I have installed the X11R4 software (obtained from apple.com) as per
the instructions... I get the following error on startup

	Fatal server bug!
	ioctl I_STR VIDEO_MAP_SLOT failed
	IOT trap (core dumped)

This is from the XmacII binary (X11R4.update) recently posted... I got
a nearly identical error from the older X11R4 distribution.  My video
card is a SuperMac Spectrum (I have been told this is not a good card
for following Apple standards) but I get an identical error when I
replace the Spectrum with an Apple video card.  Is this an X software
problem, a Mac hardware problem (maybe a board which doesn't respond
correctly to the ioctl), or an X configuration problem?  Do I need to
relink the software on my machine (the distributions contained only
binaries)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

				Don Pugsley

End of Info-Mac Digest