info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/20/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 19 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 112

Today's Topics:

      [*] GlyphaII (color)
      7 is not your lucky number: Look and Feel (2 msgs)
      About System 7
      Apple Dealers
      Blesser and System 7.0
      Company E-mail Addresses
      English/Hebrew word processors
      Hello...
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #111
      Is it Jasmine Technologies fault or my bad luck?
      Kermit
      new programmer
      Portable RAM and RE: Portable brightness
      System 7.0 HELP!
      System 7.0 Network Installation
      System 7.0 on ftp.apple.com
      The impact of System 7 on Info-Mac
      Vanishing start-up screen

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: 9 May 91 00:47:20 CDT
From: 2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Subject: [*] GlyphaII (color)

This is my first (probably last) attempt to post to info-mac.  I have the
latest version of GlyphaII (color only).  It rivals Solarian II :) and I though
the net would enjoy this.  I don't know how to break things up, etc.  I don't
even know if this will get to you.  So, any help you can provide would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Not to be confused with Glypha 3.0, this is Glypha II.  It's a full screen
(640 x 480) and 16 color version of the b&w Glypha 3.0.  It requires a 16 color monitor of at least 640 x 480 in size (sorry LC owners).  It has been
compressed self-extracting Compacter.
Glypha II is an arcade action game that reminds us of that Williams
coin-op classic - what was it called? - with the birds and you flapped?
Well, in any event, you control a rider on a bird and have to joust with
enemies.  Egyptian flavor (enemies are sphinxes, etc.).  See Help under
the Options menu for game play.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/glypha-ii.hqx; 276K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 19:28:10 EDT
From: Garance A. Drosehn <gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu>
Subject: 7 is not your lucky number: Look and Feel

In comp.sys.mac.digest article Info-Mac Digest V9 #111
        RSAUNDERS@hssi.dnet.hac.com wrote:

> Alas, I was mistaken.  Although almost all my programs work just
> fine, my experience with the "System" has been negative.
>    [skipping a section -- gad]       What drives me mad is the
> annoying cuteness that you CANNOT turn off (at least you can

> turn bubbles off!).  I'm talking about time wasted in zoom

> rectangles.  I'm talking about trash warnings no matter what is
> in the trashcan.  I'm talking about no ability to use key

> shortcuts for finder operations like "Empty Trash" or "Restart".
> If you didn't know you could change these things -

> System7 is for you!

I've used system 7.0 for all of 24 hours now, and I'd say you're
selling it way short.  There's a few big things that have appeared,
but more importantly there seems to be a million little things that
have changed.  All the little things add up to be more than the big
things, in fact (as nice as the big things are).

> For the rest of us, who used ResEdit on dear old Finder to
> adjust the look and feel to our situation, we need 6.0.7 back.

I'm one of those who used ResEdit on finder.  I don't miss the few
options that have disappeared on me (not enough to switch back, that
is).  I do like the hordes of things that have improved.  Unless
something seriously breaks, I have no inclination to go back to
6.0.7.  I have a 4 Meg Mac IIci here at work so I would like to add
more memory, but other than that I like sys7 a lot.

> It was always the best mac feature that you could adjust the
> GUI, not just that it had a GUI.   Now it seems Apple is so

> proud of its creations that it not only sues people who copy
> them (which I approve of) it locks them in stone and forces

> them on people who want to stay current with their releases.

Rubbish.  If you peruse your control panels, you'll see that there
are a lot of new options you can play with to customize your GUI
environment.  Things that you couldn't hope to do in system 6.0.7, no
matter how much ResEdit-ing you did.  A few things haven't reappeared
in the new finder, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

Don't forget this is a completely new finder, it isn't a matter of
them going into the old finder and ripping out features just to piss
you off.  They started out with an empty source file.  There's a few
options that they didn't get around to implementing perhaps, but I
think they've done a great job.

> Now to decide if file sharing is worth being trapped with Disney

> land cuteness everytime I want to delete something??

If you think the only advantage of system 7 is file sharing, then you
haven't been poking around much.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 00:04:20 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu

Randy,

  In the last Info-mac digest, you write:

>What drives me mad is the annoying cuteness that you CANNOT turn off (at
>least you can turn bubbles off!).  I'm talking about time wasted in zoom
>rectangles.  I'm talking about trash warnings no matter what is in the
>trashcan.  I'm talking about no ability to use key shortcuts for finder
>operations like "Empty Trash" or "Restart".  If you didn't know you could
>change these things - System7 is for you!!

  Do the following.  Select the trash can.  Do a get info.  In the get info
window is a box that says "Warn before emptying".  Un-check it.  That fixes
that.  Why the tech support line didn't tell you is mystifying...  (For that
matter, the help balloons don't mention it.)

  I don't know what you mean about zoom rectangles.  As for key equivalents to
empty trash or restart, they must be there somewhere.  If all else fails, buy
QuicKeys.

  I think that the features of 7 (Find, the restructured open/save dialogs,
vm, the various file sharing options, publish/subscribe, etc , etc, etc) more
than outweigh your complaints...

Seeya,
--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 18:19:51 EDT
From: regis@athena.mit.edu
Subject: About System 7

 -------
Repl:  Christopher Cotton (regis@Athena.MIT.edu)
Mail:  351 Mass. Ave.
       Cambridge, MA 02139
 -------
First off I'll just tell you a little info about who I am.  My name is
obvious from the above header.  I work for M.I.T. Information Services
as a Consultant on the Help Line (Not that they take any credit for what
I am about to say).  And I must say that despite what you say (part of
which is completely wrong) I really love what Apple has done to System 7.

One thing to try, (just humor me and try it)  is  select the "Trash
Can", and do   Get Info (Yes there is a command key for it... called
Command-I)   Now look at the "cute" window it brings up, and look at all
the interesting data it gives.   Then notice the small check box in the
lower left hand corner next to which is text saying "Warn Before
Emptying".  Trying clicking on this and then closing the window.  Now
try deleting a file.  Notice that the warning message does NOT come up,
cool idea eh?  (With 6.0.7 you couldn't turn off the warnings even if
you wanted)

Next, you are right about not being able to edit the menus (and I do
question Apple as to why they no longer use standard menus. )  But there
is a fix.  This is some program floating around which will let you edit
the menus, and add those command keys you so dearly wish.

About those command keys.  I think Apple is smart in not suppling
pre-assigned keys to two of the most deadly functions in the Finder.
Obvisously if you were trying to do some other function and you fingers
slipped, and  ooopps!  Sorry, your Mac restarted.   Such a shame.   But
then again, I am not flaming at them for not adding them...  I would
rather just be able to put them in myself.  Apple is not known for
letting you shoot yourself in the foot that easily.

File sharing worth it?   Are you nuts?  Of course it is worth it.   But
then again, you probably only have one mac, and it is only connected to
itself.  Such a waste.  In our staff room we 4 Macs, and when you want
to transfer some file from one to the other... it makes things so much
easier... and when installing software if you have the disk images (made
with DiskCopy, another fine product by Apple) you can use MountImage
(Yet another... do I have to repeat myself?) to make them available, and
then install from the other machine.  We placed the new version of 7.0
on one machine, and then upgraded all the remaining machines from it.  I
would say that is definitely worth it.

And what is this that you keep talking about Disneyland Cuteness?  Who
doesn't love DL... have you ever been to DisneyWorld and seen Epcot
Center...   nuff said there.

So in final... I just don't know what you are complaining about... If
you want, go ahead and use 6.0.x  and see if I care that you do not
receive the other benefits which you have failed to even mention.
(Including my favorite:  If you have a window that is partially hidden,
and you want to move a file from that window, to another that is the
front window.  Click and hold on the File.  Notice the lower window does
not immediately pop up to the front.  Another annoying thing in 6.0.x)

That's all I have to say for the moment.

Christopher Cotton
o Kiwi Sadist
o RaNNdom ThiNnkeR!.
o M.I.T. doesn't care about what I think!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 05:14:29 GMT
From: bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman)
Subject: Apple Dealers

In digest <9105172049.AA27186@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>>From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
>Subject: Apple Dealers
>In V9-110, Ned Horvath posted a long diatribe about what a benefit it would be
>to Apple dealers if they gave away free copies of System 7. I guess this goes
>to show that there are always two sides to every view. I have a friend who is
>an Apple dealer who has decided NOT to give away free copies of System 7, and
>I wouldn't begin to call him a jerk. He just recognizes his business, and it
>isn't K-Mart with blue light specials.

>The last thing this guy wants is 300 people who have never bought anything
>>From him in the past (mail order is way cool, dude - cheaper you know) and who
>won't buy anything from him in the future (ditto), but who are perfectly
>willing to swamp his store and his staff to make them free copies of a
>multi-disk set (on the 39 cent bulk floppies they got mail order, of course)
>and to complain that he (1) doesn't have the sets premade to give away, (2)
>won't let them self-serve using his equipment, and (3) won't give them the
>manuals that they "know Apple gives him". To top it off, since these
>"giveaway" copies of the system don't come with the free Apple telephone
>support, guess who these people are going to call when they can't figure out
>how to use System 7 without the manuals? Bingo!

Let me if you will add another factor to this problem. This is not just
a disk or two, it is 8 disks or more.. If your local dealer was to
provide these disks to you at no charge, who is going to pay for the
time his employes have to take to make these dups for you?? Perhaps if
you were to offer to hire one of his service people for an hour at the
customary 1 hour service charge ($40-50 per hour in most places) just to
have the person sit there and copy the disks for you, the dealer might
be willing to help you out. But to expect the dealer to take this person
off of paid work just to make your "free" updates is asking a bit much
I would think.. Of course, multiply this times all of the other people
who want the same free updates and you can see where it is very costly
to the dealer.. On the other side of the coin, if you are truely a good
customer, one who purchases all of his hardware, software, disks,
printer supplies, and whatever else from the dealer in question, as well
as Applecare or service when needed, then perhaps the dealer will value
you enough as a prefered customer to make that investment in you and
provide the upgrade for you at no charge. If however you support your
favorite mail order place most of the time because you like their prices
better, then perhaps you should try asking them to provide this free
service to you, after all, YOU are their customer.

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |                         | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 18:15:48 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Blesser and System 7.0

On Thu, 16 May 91 21:46:09 EDT you said:
>I have heard that the application Blesser, which allows one to switch
>between two system folders on the same volume, will not work with
>system 7.0.  Since I use a foreign language system (Japanese) as well

What was true of beta isn't necessarily so with the final release.

Actually, I don't know about Blesser (probably it will work), but an
Apple engineer was merrily switching back and forth using System Picker
last Friday night (I have that and could post it, but read on :-)

>as English system 6.07 right now, I will not update to System 7.0 until
>switching between them is possible.
>I understand the incompatibility stems from the different use of boot
>blocks.

So we were told, but that no longer appears to be a major problem.
Some time ago, I downloaded System Switcher from the info-mac archives
(it's somewhat more elegant than either Blesser or System Picker).
Wednesday, I watched a developer use System Switcher (from me :-) to jump
between a beta4 copy of System 7 and System 4! (that's right, four -- seems
there's a Mac game his wife is enamoured of that won't run on later Systems).
This dude had FOUR different System folders (4.x, 6.0.5, 6.0.7, and
7.0b4).  He said he switched among them all the time.

Of course, the safest thing to do is use two hard drives with 7 on one
and 6 on the other, but I've now seen with my own eyes folks switching
between 6 and 7 on the same volume.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 1991 19:01 CST
From: SAWATZKYJ@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Company E-mail Addresses

I am in the process of moving and would like to notify several software
companies of the new address by E-mail (faster and cheaper), and I need
some addresses.  Is there a list of companies with mail addresses on
AppleLink.Com somewhere?  Or maybe a list of the companies on CompuServe with
those addresses?  If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it!

				Thanks, Brad Sawatzky

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 17:46:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mario Castelou Goertzel <mg2p+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: English/Hebrew word processors

	I have a friend who needs to write a dissertation in both
Hebrew and English.  She is planning on purchasing a new computer,
either a mac or pc compatible.  I need information on English/Hebrew
word processors for both systems.  I'm particularly interested in how
the English and Hebrew integrate, printing and system compatibility.

Mario
mg2p@andrew.cmu.edu

ps.  Please send E-mail.  I'll summarize if there's much interest.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 00:03:50 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hello...

On Fri, 17 May 91 21:03:00 EST Mehboob Alam said:
>Any comments on migrating to System 7.0 yet. Unfortunately, we have
>to put it off till late summer. Our strategy is to upgrade all our

I ran the compatibilty stack earlier today (Friday).  It'll take me
awhile to contact vendors and resolve about eight "must upgrade"
notations (a whole lot of good mailing in all those warranty registration
cards has done me :-(

>software first, and then do mass upgrades of computers.

As nearly as I can tell, this is not a bad plan (and if all that
beta testing has failed to uncover some important glitch, 7.0.1 may be
out before you find youself in "deep doo doo" :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 20:18:05 -0700
From: wolfeman@applelink.apple.com
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #111

In your Digest:

>Date: Fri, 17 May 91 10:26:11 -0700
>From: RSAUNDERS@hssi.dnet.hac.com
>Subject: 7 is not your lucky number: Look and Feel
>
>time wasted in zoom rectangles.  I'm talking about trash warnings no matter
>what is in the trashcan.  I'm talking about no ability to use key shortcuts
>for finder operations like "Empty Trash" or "Restart".  If you didn't know
>
>        Randy Saunders
>        Hughes Aircraft

Randy,

Do a Get Info on the trash and note the checkbox at the bottom to turn off the
warnings.

Dan Wolfe
Apple Computer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 00:14:03 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Is it Jasmine Technologies fault or my bad luck?

On Fri, 17 May 91 13:08:45 BST you said:
>I bought my 8 (1meg) SIMMS from Jasmine technologies, yes I
>know they have an odd reputation. But I took a chance, since they
>accepted their fault and promised to send the rest of 4 SIMMS, a
>week later when I get the package, it only had 2 SIMMS !!
>
>Now I have been trying to get in touch with them for more than two
>weeks and no response. And they still have to send me 2 more SIMMS
>which I have paid for.

Because you're overseas you may not have the good fortune to have paid
with a bank credit card (any credit card actually).  If you did pay with
plastic, I believe you're entitled to invoke U.S. law (check) even from
abroad.  Basically, you can write the credit card company and have them
withhold payment (even if you've already paid the card company, they'll
issue you a credit).  You don't have to pay finance charges while the
bill is in dispute.

On two occasions I've had companies bill me a month or two in advance
of shipping.  I've refused to pay; eventually received the merchandise
and am still waiting for them to reinstate the bill (once screwed up,
always screwed up apparently).  Both times it was software (less than
$100).  However, our user group has a member who had a similar problem
and ended up with a Mac SE and no bill ;-)

In the same vein, I've NEVER had a problem with MacConnection or MEI
in Ohio.  If they back order, they don't bill until they ship (just
like they're supposed to).  I'm happy, and their happy which is why I
keep doing business with them.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 19:17:21 CDT
From: ECPKLINE%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Kermit

Netters, I have a few questions about Kermit that you might
be able to help me with:
    --Why does    the later version of Kermit that I just downloaded
      vers .98(62) have a slower screen rate then the version .9(40)
      that I have been using for quite a while now?

    --Can the download speed be increased in Kermit in any way (like
      packet size)? I find that Kermit protocol is slower, a lot slower
      then x-modem.

    --Is the latest version of Kermit faster in downloading than the older
      version?

Thanks in advance. Please E-Mail to me directly and I will summarize.

Jeff Kline (Internet: ecpkline@UMCVMB.Missouri.edu    BITNET: ecpkline@UMCVMB

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 May 1991 15:17:09 GMT
From: hui@landau.uchicago.edu (Hui Dong)
Subject: new programmer

   Thanks for all those who have replied about books for mac programming. I
think I shall post a short summary so maybe others can benefit.
   The "must have" are of course "Inside Macintosh" I-V (and IV is already
out). "Macintosh revealed" I-IV are very much recommented by many people,
"Macintosh C programming primer" I-II are very suitable for beginners (in
fact, they are the books I use most up to date), but maybe not good as
a reference. All above mentioned are in Pascal. "Using macintosh toolbox with C"
is a good reference for C programmers, "Encyclopedia mac ROM" is both in C
and Pascal (I haven't seen it though). I also use "C programming techniques
for the macintosh", which is very brief and old (1985) but has a good
summary of toolbox routines. That is all the information I get, hope will
be useful for some people.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 20:57:30 EDT
From: N V Long <INNV%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Portable RAM and RE: Portable brightness

> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 17 May 91 11:51:56 -0400
> From: dmg@mwunix.mitre.org (David M. Gursky)
> Subject: Portable brightness
>
> I have one of the new Portables with the backlit display. I'd like to turn
> it off, as I have no problems read the display in low light situations and
> would rather have the long battery life.  According to the manual, I should be
> able to do this with the brightness thermometer in the Portable CDEV, but when
> I bring it up, there is no gauge to change the screen brightness.  I'm
> running system 6.0.7 with version 1.2 of the Portable CDEV.  Any clues folks?
>
> David Gursky
> ------------------------------

I have a Portable, but not one with a backlit screen.  (I bought
mine last June.)  But on the 6.0.7 disks there is a CDEV called
Brightness.  I know that this allows you to set the screen brightness
on a Mac Classic, so maybe it also works with the backlit version
of the Portable. Copy the Brightness CDEV into your System
Folder and see if it works.  (It doesn't even appear in the
Control Panel on my Portable.)  In any case, the brightness gauge
wouldn't be in the Portable CDEV since there's nowhere it would
fit. (I also use version 1.2.)

 -----------------------------
My turn to ask a question:
Does anyone know about upgrading the Portable's RAM ?
I currently have Apple's 1 Mb Memory Expansion Card, but
I would like to have more RAM (for use with System 7.0).
The only choice I seem to have is Applied Engineering's
MacRAM Portable card.  Does anyone have this card ?
Do you have any other suggestions ?

NV Long
innv@musicb.mcgill.ca

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 20:18:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Donald Jackson Pickett <dp32+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 HELP!

I just got my hands on System 7.0 - not a beta, but the "Rock Solid"
release. I unDisk Copied the suckers, stuck them on 8 800k floppies, and
installed.

It don't work. I have an 8mb cx, with a Quantum 40meg internal, and an
80meg Rodime external, 8 bit color. I reformatted the drive threee days
ago, so I assume nothing is wrong there. I ran the compatability
checker, so I know what doesn't work. Before installing, I removed *all*
the inits, cdevs etc. from my system folder. There is no other system
folder on my system.

It boots, gives me the happy Mac, the Welcome to Macintosh message, and
then hangs. I get a still stopwatch - no ticking - on a blank screen.
The stopwatch can be moved around the screen, but there is no activity
>From the computer at all - no hard drive, no nothing. For laughs, I let
it stay that way while my girlfriend and I went for some food. An hour
later, it looked the same.  On the adivce of a friend, I ran the 7.0
version of Disk First Aid, which found nothing, and reinstalled. Same
old same old.

Can someone halp me? I'm pretty sure that the version I got is fine, as
the same friend installed it on his si. I've checked the drive with
Norton, and it found nothing. Even unhooked the external drive and
network connections. Nada.

What up? ARRGH!

Rock Solid my ass,
Don

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 1991 16:29:08 CDT
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: System 7.0 Network Installation

Wanted to see if anyone knows whether or not the images on FTP.APPLE.COM
contain the network installation software (on the TIDBITS, maybe?). I have
yet to get them, and would like to know if I would be able to get by with
downloading the System 7.0 images and purchasing the Manual Pack, since the
Group Upgrade Kit is on CD-ROM & we cannot afford a CD-ROM drive at this
time, especially both the drive & the Group Upgrade Kit. Having twenty+
Macs to update (eventually - I'm not in a huge rush to do it) would make
the Network Installer stuff very nice.
Respond to me or the net, I'm sure others may be interested.
Thanks!
Dave Martin (DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU, BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 19:40:49 PDT
From: "Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@nv-ngnet.army.mil>
Subject: System 7.0 on ftp.apple.com

If the person announcing the availability of the System 7 files on the new apple
ftp site could include the complete paths for the files on the system, it should
be a simple matter for most people to write a shell script to fetch them. Or usePerl, or their favorite automated fetcher, or whatever.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 13:47:11 SDT
From: "Alexander Falk (ALF)" <K360950%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.AT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: The impact of System 7 on Info-Mac

Now that many people will be upgrading to System 7.0, may I suggest
the following guideline for discussions on Info-Mac:

   PLEASE DO NOT POST MESSAGES THAT TELL THE REST OF THE WORLD
   HOW CUTE THIS FEATURE IS, HOW MUCH YOU LIKE THAT NEW THING,
   OR HOW YOU CAN'T STAND THAT ASPECT OF THE NEW SYSTEM. THESE
   ARE ALL PERSONAL OPINIONS ON THE NEW SOFTWARE AND DO  N O T
   CONVEY ANY USEFUL INFORMATION TO OTHERS!!!

If you are encountering real problems (i.e. compatibility and the like)
you are of course encouraged to share them with others, but please
keep personal preferences out of these discussions. Especially please
do not post flames or other messages containing emotionally biased
statements.

Thank you all for your cooperation! Let's keep Info-Mac the best
discussion forum in the electronic world.

Take care,
(A) (L) exander  (F) alk  -  Oh, it's a seven. -  No, it's Seven-Oh (7.0)!

P.S.: Oh, by the way, one comment for Randy Saunders: try doing a "Get
      Info" on the Trash - you will find a nice checkbox that lets you
      turn off Trash Warnings! Isn't that way better than having to use
      ResEdit? And there are in fact lots of things you can customize
      in the new Finder using ResEdit. If time permits, I will compile
      a list of useful tricks and post it to Info-Mac.

[Hmm, I disagree on this one. I think our personal reaction to software is
 usually interesting and often helpful to people who are developing new
 programs. I'd hate to see all commentary, flames, etc. disappear from the
 net. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 17:55 EDT
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: Vanishing start-up screen

Okay, you're just never going to believe this one. I am accustomed to the
following sequence at startup on my LC: some flickering and the usual
startup ding; a happy mac; my personalized startup screen, which lives in a
file in the system folder called Startupscreen; my inits marching across
*the startup screen*; startupscreen is replaced by desktop pattern,
(multi)-finder shows the windows, and we're off to the races.

Today, this sequence suddenly altered in the middle, like this: .... my
personalized startup screen, *for about 2 seconds*; then *my startup screen
vanished*, and was replaced by *an all-grey screen*; the inits marched across
this *all-grey screen*; then the desktop pattern, etc.

I threw out the entire system folder and restored it from a time when I know
the sequence was happening the old way, but no soap; it keeps happening
this new way.

Is this serious? Is it explicable? It seems to me it cannot be a virus or a
hidden file of some sort, since I threw out the whole system folder. (I also
tried replacing the system with an absolutely clean system and only having
one or two inits in the system folder, of which init-cdev [my first init]
was *not* one; still the same thing.)

Seems like such a tiny thing, but with a thing like a computer, variations from
what has been an invariable sequence are a little scary... Any wisdom on this?

matt = neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 21:52:35 PDT
From: djchin@vaxkiller.agi.org (daniel j. chin)

Hello,

Has anyone successfully created a hypercard 2.0 palette with
buttons containing scripts that execute more
than one line??  I've tried the power tools stack and
merely added additional lines (like put "hello" into
msg) to the demo "scripting level" buttons
- to no avail.  the created palettes dont execute additional
code but the buttons in the power tools stack work fine.

>From the createPalette function and
newPalette xcmd (in the background scripts),
only line 2 of the btn scripts is passed into the msgList
variable which then is passed to the newPalette xcmd.
i've been unable to send the entire script via msgList
since each btn's second line is demarked by a return.
(putting the entire scripts in bombs)

clicking on the "show commands" button indeed shows the entire
list of commands but the created palettes still don't do their
assigned tasks.  i dont think this button reads scripts from the
palette, probably reads the stack btn scripts.
Nothing in the claris reference books seems
to address this issue.  am i missing  something obvious?

also, can palette btns write to palette flds?
any help or references will be gladly appreciated.

End of Info-Mac Digest