info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/21/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 20 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 113

Today's Topics:

      [*] Bugfix for Shanghai 2.0
      Are These Compatible With System 7.0?
      converting NeXT snds to mac snds?
      Dialtone DA
      Disinfectant and System 7
      Freedom-of-the-Press Demo???
      FTP.APPLE.COM & System 7.0
      Indonesian Fonts Wanted
      Information on BTG's product Sindex needed
      Jasmine
      Mac SE 30 as X windows terminal
      MPW 3.2 the easy way
      Questions: HD, Ethernet linkage
      Scrolling in System 7.0
      System 7.0 and After Dark.
      System 7.0 Comments (2 msgs)
      System 7.0 compatibility problems
      System 7.0 Installer BUG
      System 7 stuff
      System 7 Tip
      System Seven-Oh Feedback
      TrueType fonts when printing to file
      What if a font ...
      xxx image files

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Sun, 19 May 91 16:08:04 PDT
From: Brodie Lockard <brod@jessica.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Bugfix for Shanghai 2.0

Enclosed is a BinHexed self-extracting bugfix for Shanghai 2.0.
It fixes the bug that would crash Shanghai when starting any
kind of new game from the "Start a new game" menu on a IIci,
IIfx, and IIsi with less than 8 megs of RAM.

Brodie Lockard
Shanghai Author
INTERNET: brod@jessica.stanford.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/game/shanghai-20-bugfix.hqx; 87K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 14:44:46 -0500
From: rohan@euler.jsc.nasa.gov (Rick Rohan)
Subject: Are These Compatible With System 7.0?

I just tried out the System 7.0 Compatibility Stack and am wondering
about the status of several programs:

1. Is Versaterm Pro 3.1 compatible (it is labled 'Not Avail.')?

2. Are Compact Pro 1.3 and SittoCpt1.0 compatible?

3. I've been trying out McSink and am considering buying Vantage 1.5.
   Is it System 7.0 compatible?  Are there plans to upgrade it?

4. Right now I have the very old freeware version of boomerang, which is
   listed as 'Mostly comp.'.  Is the shareware version still active?  Is it
   compatible or will it be upgraded, or will I have to buy the Now Utilities.

5. In addition to the above, we are considering changing from TOPS to
   AppleShare PC.  I am wondering if Apple intends to upgrade this package
   giving it System 7.0 like capabilities (distributed file sharing of PC
   files--thus allowing us to completely replace the flaky TOPS).

Thanks
Rick Rohan

P.S. I noticed the new Claris Ad.  It has a picture of a zebra-lion-deer-bird-
     ram-fish.  Is this going to be Claris' new mascot for System 7.0?  What's
     it called? and what kind of bark does it give?  How about taking all the
     first two letters of each animal and creating 'bizeliderafi' as in "busy
     little raffe" (well maybe with an accent)?  As for sound, a stereophonic
     twe-roa-baahh-wheh gurgle gurgle?  I can't wait for technical note 310!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 11:27:21 PDT
From: djchin@vaxkiller.agi.org (daniel j. chin)
Subject: converting NeXT snds to mac snds?

Hello,

has anyone successfully converted a NeXT snd into a mac snd?
is there a translator available or is there a simple header
fix?  any leads greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 18:47:50 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Dialtone DA

Unfortunately, Telecom E/ireann hasn't upgraded my extension to fibre
optic cables yet, and consequently I live in the world of pulse dialling.
Slow, but bearable. But as I was waiting, at IRL1.11 a minute, for an
American automated answering exchange to finish cycling through the
myriad of options I might have had as a tone-dialler so that the human
operator at the end could finally process my call, I had an idea for a
little DA. Could someone please write up a touch-tone dialler DA?
Hypercard has something like this, but it's not as convenient as a
DA. Just something with twelve little buttons and twelve little tones
in it, and maybe a little box which would type a string automatically?
I think I've seen a few diallers in the archives, but of the ones I tried
none of them seemed to work very well.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 May 1991 19:50:35 -0600
From: j-norstad@nwu.edu (John Norstad)
Subject: Disinfectant and System 7

Thanks to an error in Apple's Compatibility Checker, I've been deluged
with requests for information on Disinfectant 2.5.

If you have installed the Disinfectant INIT on your system, Apple's
Compatibility Checker incorrectly reports that it is incompatible with
System 7, and it recommends that you get version 2.5.

There is no Disinfectant 2.5, and there won't be one! Disinfectant 2.4
works fine with System 7, provided you leave the Disinfectant INIT in
the System Folder proper. Do not move the INIT to the new Extensions
Folder. If the Installer moves the INIT to the Extensions Folder for you,
move it back to the System Folder proper.

If you try to repair an infected file, Disinfectant 2.4 may tell you that
the file is busy and recommend that you "try again without MultiFinder."
You can't turn off MultiFinder in System 7. If this happens to you,
restart your Mac using the "Disk Tools" startup floppy that comes with
System 7. Then run Disinfectant again.

There is one small problem with Disinfectant 2.4's custom get file dialog
which lets you select a folder to be scanned. Don't try to select any
files or folders in the new Desktop level in this dialog. Disinfectant may
crash or scan the wrong object.

I am working on a new version 3.0 of Disinfectant which will take
full advantage of the new facilities available in System 7, including
Balloon help, full color icon families, anti-viral and other Apple events,
icon dropping in the Finder, a new solution to the busy files problem,
and other neat new stuff. Version 3.0 will also include a very thorough
discussion of all the issues regarding viruses, Disinfectant, and System 7
in the online manual, and it will fix the problem with the custom get
file dialog. I hope to release this new version sometime this summer.

Again, until my version 3.0 is released, you can and should use version 2.4

with System 7.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
j-norstad@nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 07:00:14 PDT
From: JMUELLER%PPL.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Freedom-of-the-Press Demo???

HELPHELPHELP*EMERGENCY*HELPHELPHELP!!!
Alright, that is a bit strong...
The Subject says it best: IS THERE A DEMO VERSION OF FREEDOM-OF-THE-PRESS
available anywhere?
I have a chance to pick up a StyleWriter cheap (used 1 month, not hot) but
the person I am buying it from did not think to try FotP before she said
"This piece of junk doesn't work with Illustrator! Let's buy a TI laser
printer."
As she is bringing it by a week from today (Sat, May 18) I would like to
have the demo copy (if it exists) in hand (or Mac) by then.
Much obliged.
Jim Mueller
You should be able to Email me @ JMUELLER%PPL.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 10:59:44 CDT
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: FTP.APPLE.COM & System 7.0

Just an open message to Apple & especially Mark Johnson for all the time
and effort put into making System 7.0 accessible to the Internet, and for
not giving up after so many problems during the big rush (or should that
be stampede? ;) I've got everything (and yes, the Network Install is there,
in the directory dts/mac/system7/7.0.software/net.install - six .HQX files
that are StuffIt segments which combine & unstuff to make a folder containing
the FDHD disks plus the network install - ~6500K of hard disk space). If there
is still an interest, I have the FTP scripts plus DIR listings of the major
areas to grab the files you need.
Again, thanks Mark & Apple for System 7.0 and the archive.
Dave Martin (DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU, BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 May 91 22:43:33 cdt
From: charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu
Subject: Indonesian Fonts Wanted

Indonesian Fonts Wanted (shareware preferred)

charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 12:33 N
From: <MBFYS_NU%HNYKUN51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Information on BTG's product Sindex needed

Hi,
Does anyone have information on BTG(British Technology Group)
and its product Sindex that allows you input Chinese characters
and Japanese under English operating system. I got to know this
>From a Dutch magezine quoting Newsbytes, San Francisco. If you
happen to know BTG, Sindex and Newsbytes, please send me a
e-mail. I appreciate your help.
Hong Zhou
Univ. of Nijmegen
The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 08:39:39 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Jasmine

>From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
My thanks to M J Sawar (sawar@cbl.leeds.ac.uk) for the note about Jasmine and
SIMMS in Info-Mac 9-111. I had been wondering about Jasmine's "resurrection"
and had been thinking about buying their Syquest drive. I think I'll look
elsewhere!

Disclaimer: If UC wanted me to speak for them - I'd have a different job!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 14:02 CDT
From: LZIEGLER%MOE@msus1.msus.edu
Subject: Mac SE 30 as X windows terminal

I have a chemist friend who would like to hook up his Mac to our campus
workstation network and use it as an X windows terminal.  We would very
much like to know about any such software.  In addition, his Mac is an
SE/30 and he would like to simultaneously hook up to the ethernet and run
a large color screen.  Can you do this (considering the single slot)?
Please respond directly and I will summarize.  Email address is:

lziegler%moe@msus1.msus.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 May 91 19:17:17 CDT
From: Eric J. Richards <richards@eng.auburn.edu>
Subject: MPW 3.2 the easy way

   System 7 is going great for me, except for one latent surprise:
clicking on my recently purchased MPW 3.1 resulted in a dialogue
telling me it was time to upgrade.  WTF?!?  Then I noticed mentioning
that the upgrade wouldn't be available until June.  BBT.
   Then, like most people probably by now, I started to wonder just
how 7 was able to be so biased.  It wanted version 3.2, not version
3.1.  Version?  As in vers-ion?  Whip out ResEdit!
   What I did was copy every resource out of the existing MPW
shell into a new document, setting its info to the correct type
and such as well, and then messing with the vers resources so that
they read 3.2 instead of 3.1.  Hopefully this isn't too terrible
illegal... I might see this e-mail in court again.
   Anyway, it worked and now I have MPW running under the guise of
3.2.  The first problem I've noticed so far is the command-B for
Build don't work no mo'.  It comes up with a file I/O OS error,
so I've just resorted to:

   BuildProgram <program-name>

   And that seems to work dandy.  Now then, if anyone knows a real
good reason why we shouldn't do this with MPW, perhaps they'd like
worse.

=========== Be Seeing You ========================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 13:51 EDT
From: "Ethan J. Benatan" <ETHAN@vms.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: Questions: HD, Ethernet linkage

Dear Netters,

A friend is looking for a hard drive for her Mac Plus. I know we just saw some
info on HD's in the digest, but there are two *absolute requirements* that
she has:
1) it must be zero footprint, and
2) it must have a metal case.

Beyond that, the priorities are, in order:
1) dependable
2) cheap
3) fast

Size? Negotiable- she wants to spend <$500 and needs a minimum of 40-60 MB.

While I am at it, question 2:

We have an Ethernet here at Pitt. What is the cheapest way of achieving
high-speed file transfer between a Mac and a Vax on the network? (one Mac, not
on any network at the moment). What software and hardware do I need on both
ends? I am a novice at this and am easily confused by all the references to
proprietary software and hardware, and would  be grateful if someone could
explain (in words of one syllable ;-)  ) what these things do and how they
work together- or give me a reference to a good  book that can help.

If you reply directly to me I will consolidate for the Digest. Thanks very much
indeed-

	Ethan Benatan    Benatan@vms.cis.pitt.edu  or Benatan@Pittvms  (bitnet)

p.s. I managed to get system 7 from ftp.apple.com - but is going to take a day
or two to download it at the rates I can currently achieve. I'll be happy to
pass it on (if this is legal??) since it isn't on the archive- any suggestions
on how to do this easily?

[It is not legal to pass it on, as far as I know. You have to have a license
 to do that. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 16:14:24 PDT
From: "William J. Lipa" <lipa@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Scrolling in System 7.0

I did manage to ftp System 7 from ftp.apple.com Sunday morning, so it is
possible. Thanks a lot to Mark Johnson and Apple for making it available!

I think System 7.0 is really great except for one thing. (You knew there had
to be a gripe in here somewhere.) Scrolling seems to have gotten really
slow and jumpy when in 256-color mode. It's definitely a lot slower than in
6.0.7. Any ideas why this might be? Particular applications I've seen this
in: Zterm 0.85, MPW 3.2b12, Think C 4.0.5 -- pretty much anything I've
tried. These applications now feel a bit sluggish and unresponsive. I
have a IIci with a plain vanilla 7.0 system.

I did have the TeachText init installed on my 6.0.7 system, so I doubt
the speed decrease can be due to TeachText alone (even if those
applications were using the outline version of Monaco, which I doubt).

But other than that, I'm very happy with it so far!

Bill Lipa
lipa@neon.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: 20 May 1991 12:07:03 CDT
From: "Richard K. Wolf (312) 996-9664" <U16480%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 and After Dark.

Just curious about System 7.0 and After Dark.

With Finder in the foreground I noted that After Dark ran amazingly
slow -- but, with any other program in the foreground After Dark ran
just fine.  With MultiFinder in 6.0.7 I had no problems.

After Dark is always in the background, right?  So, is the new Finder
not giving up much CPU to background tasks?  Just a guess on my part.

Anyone have any insights on this?  Is this something we'll all have to
live with?

Richard K. Wolf
University of Illinois at Chicago
U42641@uicvm.uic.edu
U42641@UICVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 08:58:17 -0700
From: MARK@hssi.dnet.hac.com
Subject: System 7.0 Comments

I installed system 7.0 on my machine at home & had some (long) observations
that I thought might be interesting.  I also checked what was on-line on
Compuserver & have included some of those at the end.

Personal observations [on a 5 meg Mac IIci at home, no VM, no 32bit yet]:
  (1) The stuff in the installation notes made me backup & clean up my
hard disk (I freed up >7meg!).  [That alone is worth the upgrade :-]
  (2) Installing takes up 2.6meg of space for the Mac IIci system,
2.9meg for all machines [ouch!] using the custom install.  It is a pig
on RAM as well using about 2 meg out of 5 for system.
  (3) Installation was smooth until I started looking around...
      a.  I noticed AppleShare and the file sharing stuff was included
          even though I had said I didn't want it.
      b.  I threw some stuff that I though was `unnecessary' and ended
          up with a machine that got address errors during reboot.
      c.  I reinstalled system 7 [sigh] and fixed that mess.
Needless to say, this made me mad, even though I expect to use file
sharing a lot at work; I don't want it taking up space at home.
  (4) The CD driver that came w/ the Denon DRD-253 worked OK once I
moved it out of the "may not work" folder.  However, system 7 did try to
`rebuild' the desktop of the Manhole CD [sigh].  Audio CD's and foreign
CD's worked OK.
  (5) Some of the programs listed in the compatiblity list as upgrade
required worked OK for me [eg. SuperPaint, MacSchedule].  Perhaps I need
new versions as soon as I turn on VM or 32 bit mode.
  (6) The DeskWriter printer worked OK for me too [same comment as (5)]
but it isn't in the compatibility list.  I thought it was odd that Apple
didn't move chooser items out of the system folder into the "may not
work" folder.
  (7) I did get a error box when I dragged Apple File Exchange & the
conversion into their home on my hard disk.  Apparently I didn't notice
that I put it over the AFE icon on my hard disk & it tried to run the
old AFE w/o much success.
  (8) I copied Disk First Aid from one floppy to another and ended up
switching floppies about six times.  That was VERY annoying after going
through several dialog boxes to say that yes I did want to overwrite the
old version etc.
  (9) PowerStation didn't work at all.  It was mad that it was in the
startup folder & just beeped when trying to launch applications. :-<
  (10) The compatiblity checker claimed I had a copy of Redux [i don't]
that was a required upgrade item.  I assume that it found SUM Backup
instead but I haven't verified that yet.
  (11) The Hypercard 2.1 that comes w/ the official distribution has the
"broken" home card.  I knew about "magic", but you have to do it on the
right card (the settings card...).  I wish I knew if the 2.0 home would
work w/ the 2.1 Hypercard so I won't have to wait for the stuff from
Claris.
  (12) I am sort of pissed at apple about not using standard menus.  I
suppose we can get an update to ResEdit that fixes the menu edit problem.
  (13) Holding down the option key while emptying the trash will skip
the trash warning as well.

Compuserve notes [I haven't personally verified all this yet]:
  (1) Hold down the option key when selecting the apple menu to get
"about the finder".  Selecting About the Finder will display the
original mountain display & if you wait long enough, the list of people
who worked on the Finder.  Use command-option to get a funny face
instead of your normal cursor.  Balloon Help can tell you about "about
the finder".
  (2) Terminal emulators & file transfer tools like Zterm & Navigator
seem to work OK in normal mode.  Turning on 32-bit mode or enabling VM
will definitely break Navigator [no data on Zterm].
  (3) There is a lot of concern on Compuserve about backup utilities
such as SUM Backup (which is not in the compatibility list).
  (4) The maker of Disinfectant, John Norstad, put a couple messages
there indicating that there IS NO VERSION 2.5.  The latest version (2.4)
works OK w/ system 7.

Overall, for a major upgrade, I would have to say it is going pretty
good.  I expect to spend another few days just running all the programs
on my machine to see what works & what doesn't.  I hope someone will be
putting together a more comprehensive list of compatiblity checks like
the one posted in the Info-Mac archives a few days ago.  I'd be glad to
help.

--Mark Johnson <mark@hssi.dnet.hac.com>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 09:10:21 -0700
From: MARK@hssi.dnet.hac.com

Just a follow-up to a message I posted a few minutes ago.  I gave Fifth
Generation Systems a call about PowerStation, and they are working on a
system 7 compatible version.  The people who answered the phone said it
would be 2-4 weeks before it is ready.  I got a similar message from
CE Software about CalendarMaker [it runs in 24 bit mode only]; they are
working on it and upgrades will be announced when it is ready.  I would
expect A LOT of vendors to be in this situation, so I recommend patience
while they get the software fixed for all the forms of system 7.

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 00:03:41 EDT
From: eck@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hangnail Whipperwill)
Subject: System 7.0 compatibility problems

   A friend had some thorny problems concerning Microphone II v3.0 and a pair
of TrueType fonts.  It seems that the bitmap for the Thomas font, 9
point size, has the same ID as Microphone's built-in VT100 font, and the
system chose to use Thomas over the VT100 font, with disastrous results.
Of course, if one could set one's own font in Microphone, this never
would have happened...(of course, if that were so, I might own
Microphone.  Maybe 4.0 will convince me to switch...:) )

   Also, it seems that Jacksonville might have the same problem; this is
not confirmed.

Brian Eck
eck@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 May 91 22:58:31 CDT
From: jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jonathan Helton)
Subject: System 7.0 Installer BUG

Yes, a bug...  When installing minimal System 7.0 software on a high
density floppy disk the installer fails to include the Chooser.  Be sure to
add it yourself if you do this.

I'm using this disk to check out my "incompatibilities."  Many applications
listed as "must upgrade" work fine with System 7.0.

--
Jonathan Helton
jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 09:45 EDT
From: "SEAN L. HILL" <SHILL%hampvms.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 stuff

I too ftp'ed the system disks from ftp.apple.com.  I was very glad to
be able to get them so quickly.

Installation was no problem.  I didn't run the compatibility checker
but everything seemed to work very well... except...

NCSA telnet.  Would the compatibility checker tell me what's wrong?  It
won't connect anymore.  I'm connecting over a localtalk network.  I do
have an ethernet card, but am using the built-in network. I can boot from
a 6.05 floppy and connect fine.  Does this have something to do with
the new localtalk and ethertalk drivers?  Any help would be appreciated.

Adobe Type Manager.
I guess I may be a little slow, but where do I put the fonts for ATM to
find them under 7.0?

Thanks for helpful comments.

Sean
SHILL@HAMPVMS.BITNET

P.S. Sys 7.0 is quite a bit slower than sys6.0x on a 5meg no PMMU Mac II.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 08:04:33 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: System 7 Tip

Here's what I hope is one of the first System 7 tips (besides the Trash tip, I
mean ;^).  The Clean Up menu item in the Finder has changed.  It is much more
powerful than the previous versions. Normally, it is merely Clean Up Window,
but if you hold down the Option key it is Clean Up By Name.  This is cool.
Things are ordered by name in either of the icon views.  You can use the Views
control panel to control the stagger and whether to snap your drags to the
grid. If you drag with the command key down then you will reverse the snap
setting that you chose. Finally, if you change your view to one of the list
views (by Name, Size, Kind, Label, and Date) and then back to one of the icon
views (by Small Icon, or Icon) then you will get Clean Up by Kind (or
whatever) when you hold down the option key and choose the Special menu.  In
this way you can order your icons by any of the sorts available.

I also have Hypercard 2.1 which should be available from Claris soon.  It has
some new features, including AppleEvents support so that you can send scripts
>From one machine to another on the network.  Pretty cool stuff!

Have fun!

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 02:07:40 EDT
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: System Seven-Oh Feedback

>    PLEASE DO NOT POST MESSAGES THAT TELL THE REST OF THE WORLD
>    HOW CUTE THIS FEATURE IS, HOW MUCH YOU LIKE THAT NEW THING,
>    OR HOW YOU CAN'T STAND THAT ASPECT OF THE NEW SYSTEM. ....
>
> [Hmm, I disagree on this one. I think our personal reaction to software is
>  usually interesting and often helpful to people who are developing new
>  programs. I'd hate to see all commentary, flames, etc. disappear from the
>  net. -Bill]

I agree with the Bill.  I for one am waiting for more "cute" and "dislike"
feedback before I upgrade my system.  Keep these comments coming!

						Hisham.

Bitnet: ABBOUD@CUA              Internet: ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon May 20 12:33:43 PDT 1991
From: microsoft!scottla@uunet.uu.net
Subject: TrueType fonts when printing to file

We have run into a snag in using TrueType fonts when creating a
PostScript file and are wondering if there is a way around it.
In producing our documentation, we use MS Word 4.0 to print to
disk to create a PostScript file to hand off for typesetting.
The problem is that, if we are using TrueType fonts, the entire
description of each font is included in the PostScript file even
though it will ultimately be ignored at the time of printing in
favor of a Type 1 version of the font.  This creates files much
too large to deal with practically.  We could reduce the overhead
somewhat by not selecting "Unlimited Downloadable Fonts in a Document"
in the LaserWriter Options box.  However, we need to select this option
so that we can reorder the pages in the PostScript file or pull out
individual pages for printing. One solution would be to remove the
TrueType fonts from the System, but then we lose the advantage of
scalable screen fonts.

Does anyone know of a way around this problem?  Does the Apple System
or LaserWriter driver provide a way to bypass the TrueType font
descriptions when printing?  Any ideas or info is much appreciated!

-Scott Larson, Composition Supervisor
 Applications Division, Microsoft Corp.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 09:53:37 PDT
From: Nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: What if a font ...

Date    5/15/91
Subject What if a font ...
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

        Reply to:   What if a font ...
Just an idea.   Is it possible to create a cursive handwriting font (true
type?) that is continuously varied by some randomization process during the
calculation of the characters?  All the cursive handwriting fonts that I have
seen use the same characters over and over (like other fonts) and all the
handwriting samples I've seen are NTSC (Never Twice Same Character).  If the
screen font cannot be varied in a random fashion, how about varying the
postscript version.  Maybe the postscript version would calculate the random
variances.  If someone does it, I'd sure like to see the results.  The idea is
free.

Kee Nethery
kagi.kee@appleLink.Apple.Com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 17:28:38 -0400
From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)
Subject: xxx image files

What am I supposed to do with those .image files I downloaded from
ftp.apple.com? I assume they are system 7.0 files but none of my
applications recognize them. What is the application to decipher them?
Thanks for any response in advance.

Chou

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 08:43 EST
From: "Russell Aminzade: Trinity College of VT." <AMINZADE%uvmvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>

I was on here a few weeks ago flaming about how mean Apple
was to small colleges...remember, I moved from a big school
 in Boston to a very small one in Vermont, and our Apple rep
 wasn't returning my calls?

Well, I must balance things out a bit.  Since my flame I've
gotten justifications from a few Apple folks, and a friendly
cooperative visit from the very Apple rep I complained
about.  Furthermore, Apple has changed its higher-ed
policies to make dealers, not Apple reps have front-line
responsibility for a lot more of the marketing.  This may
not be the best thing for larger schools (like Northeastern,
University of Vermont, etc.), but for an eager but small
place like us, it's a lot easier (the dealer is in nearby
Sheburne, Vermont, not Connecticut, where the Apple dealer
has his office).

I still don't feel good about the $100K limit for HEP II
participation, but I understand why Apple might want to do
it.  I still would like an AppleLink account, and I still
think there should be a special "bootstrap" program for very
small colleges, but I'm not enraged at Apple over this.  In
fact, I feel we can work with Apple pretty well with this
arrangement.

End of Info-Mac Digest