info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/23/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 22 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 114

Today's Topics:

      [*] Alexandria font
      [*] Extensions Manager
      [*] TidBITS#62/20-May-91
      [*] Upper West Side font
      7.0 DIFFICULTY ON A MAC PLUS
      7 is not your lucky number: Look and Feel
      7 Not Lucky For Those With Attitudes Yucky
      AppleShare Server statistics
      Blesser and System 7.0
      Compactor Pro and 7.0 compatibility
      Desktop Manager and System 7
      FDHD Without SWIM
      Hard drive/power light question
      Lapis card-Jet Writer incompatibility?
      Latest version of MacWrite
      MacTCP
      NCSA TELNET vs. System 7
      Pay for Sys 7.0?
      pro Jasmine
      SYS7-L New System 7.0 List
      System 7.0 -- Compatibility
      System 7.0--Word and Works
      System 7.0: READ/NEWthe path and file names of the system 7 software
      System 7.0 and AfterDark -- the aftermath . . .
      System 7 and Compactor Pro self-extracting files
      System 7 compatible programs (info)
      system 7 problems
      uu**coding engine
      vanishing startup screen: The Answer

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 22:23:05 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Alexandria font

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the Alexandria
font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive containing the Alexandria
PostScript font as it was originally received by me (bitmap, downloadable
PostScript file(s), and perhaps documentation and/or AFM files).  I've
added a suitcase file which contains a TrueType version of the font,
created by FontMonger 1.0.

Dave Platt

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/alexandria.hqx; 67K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 12:16
From: LOGAN.MUS@mhs.unc.edu (LOGAN)
Subject: [*] Extensions Manager

Hi,
  This is in response to those who were asking for a copy of the Extensions
Manager, by Ricardo Batista, to be uploaded.  Well, here it is. This file
will allow you to turn INITs, cdevs, and System 7.0 extensions on and off.

logan  --  OIT User Service UNC Chapel Hill

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/extensions-manager.hqx; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 08:08:47 GMT
From: ace%tidbits.UUCP@theory.tc.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: [*] TidBITS#62/20-May-91

Index of TidBITS#62/20-May-91
Reviews/20-May-91

TidBITS Wedding - Surely you won't mind if we take a
week off to get married.

MailBITS/20-May-91 - Corrections and clarifications
galore on MIPS, iff, and AccessPC.

SevenBITS/20-May-91 - MODE32 to avoid the dirty ROM
problem, some graphic upgrades for System 7, big
SIMMs, and a possible help for flaky DAs.

Digital Photography - What I've been able to figure
out about digital photography. Even comes with an
offer to get a photograph of us, strange as that may
end up.

Commodore CDTV - A consumer product that hides some
parts of an Amiga inside a CD drive that attaches to a
TV. Strange stuff.

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-62.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 22:24:09 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Upper West Side font

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the Upper
West Side font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive containing the
Upper West Side PostScript font as it was originally received by me
(bitmap, downloadable PostScript file(s), and perhaps documentation
and/or AFM files).  I've added a suitcase file which contains a
TrueType version of the font, created by FontMonger 1.0.

Dave Platt

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/upper-west-side.hqx; 303K]

------------------------------

Date: 21 MAY 91 18:27:19 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 7.0 DIFFICULTY ON A MAC PLUS

    Does anyone have any "hints" on why I can't run System 7.0 on
a local Mac Plus?  Installation was painless and a minimal Mac Plus was
selected in the option area.
    During bootup, the happy Mac shows up and promptly, I get an error
message saying something like:  "There is not enough memory.  Temporarily
disable your extensions by pressing RESTART and pressing the SHIFT key."
A RESTART and SHUTDOWN is offered in the error box.
    The Mac Plus has four megs and is stock--no accelerator.  With
6.0.5, it runs great--absolutely no problems.
    Any advice would be appreciated.  Oh, the Mac was purchased new
last year so it is not THAT old.

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET> | Stephen F. Austin University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 20:02 EDT
From: Greg Smith <SMITH@coral.bucknell.edu>
Subject: 7 is not your lucky number: Look and Feel

I just saw your posting on info-mac about 7.0's shortcomings.  Actually, you
CAN have command-R for restart (and anything else you want to do via keyboard
shortcuts) by changing a resource.  Apple just didn't use the standard MENU
resource for Finder 7.0.  They now use 'fmnu' resources to build their menus.
These resources contain the strings (and their keyboard equivalences) used in
the various menus.  To add command-R for restart, just replace the NUL
character at location 7E of 'fmnu' 1255 with an 'R' character.  I know, it's
not as simple as it used to be, but you can still do it.

I'm a little surprised that the Apple support folks neglected to mention the
checkbox for turning off trash warnings.  If you select the trashcan and do a
Get Info on it, you will see a checkbox for toggling this annoying feature.
(The only way I knew about it was in looking through the 7.0b4 seed
documentation we received from Apple; I haven't seen the final documentation,
yet, but the checkbox is still there.)  I agree that they should not have
changed the default behavior, but at least there's still a way to get the
preferred behavior.

Overall, I've been pleased with 7.0.  My ONLY complaint has been that sometimes
you will not have any window selected.  Eject the disk with the currently
selected window; none of the remaining windows will become selected, although
the old behavior caused the foreground window to be selected.

I'm using 7.0 on an SE/30 with 5MB and a Quantum 80M drive.  Virtual memory
has been working just fine for me (I was using Connectix Virtual prior to 7.0).
The file sharing has also been a welcome addition and works well, although
Central Point Software's Mirror utility (from MacTools Deluxe) is not
compatible with 7.0 file sharing (save or delete a file and your mac will
hang).

Your mileage may vary.

Greg Smith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 17:19 PDT
From: BIGDAVE <DTSUJI@scuacc.scu.edu>
Subject: 7 Not Lucky For Those With Attitudes Yucky

This is in response to the "System 7 Hate Post" in IM v9 111

It is true that with non IIci, IIsi, LC, or FX macs, virtual memory and 32-Bit
clean addressing takes a back seat.  However, you can still use virtual memory
up to 16 Megs with your cx... (You gotta UPDATE your drivers using HDSC
setup!... the disk is probably not re-entrant!) the only problem is that you
need 16 Megs of precious drive space.

To suppress trash warnings forever, try and get info on the trashcan, and
surprise surprise!  There's a check box to suppress trash warnings.

There are TONS more finder short cuts in system 7.0... try selecting the "finder
shortcuts" from the balloon window.  If you want shortcuts for shutdown and
empty trash etc., try a NEW version of QuicKeys... if you BOUGHT the product
then the upgrade should be free...

As far as being cute, Finder 7.0 lets you copy and paste icons via the get info
command, display folder contents in a hierarchy in name view, scroll without
using scroll bars, open suitcases WITHOUT font/da mover, and the list goes on
and on.

Unfortunately, your ignorance and arrogance have clouded you from the big
picture.  With other power features like publish and subscribe, and the IAC, the
power of the mac is elevated far beyond the capacity of system 6.07...

It is understandable that you don't know the "worth" of file sharing because you
obviously don't know what you're doing!

I am sorry that you have problems with system 7... maybe you should switch back
to 6.07 since you are more familiar with it...  I didn't buy my copy of system 7
either, it took me a lot of fooling around till i finally got real
comfortable...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 11:14:14 +0100
From: srcmd%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: AppleShare Server statistics

Hi,

I am looking for a program that would allow me to monitor the use of my Apple-
Share Server in terms of usage of different software packages, e.g. textproces-
sors, dbs, ss etc. It would be handy  in order to remove packages nobody uses.
Does anybody know of such a program ?
Please reply directly to me (srcmd@bdiluc01)
Thanks.bitnet)nce.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 23:26:47 EST
From: "George A. Piotrowski Jr." <V2071A@vm.temple.edu>
Subject: Blesser and System 7.0

On Fri, 17 May 91 13:49:30 PDT The Moderators said:
>From: Loren Ryter <ST701831@brownvm.brown.edu>
>Subject: Blesser and System 7.0
>
>I have heard that the application Blesser, which allows one to switch
>between two system folders on the same volume, will not work with
>system 7.0.  Since I use a foreign language system (Japanese) as well
>as English system 6.07 right now, I will not update to System 7.0 until
>switching between them is possible.
>I understand the incompatibility stems from the different use of boot
>blocks.
>Does anyone know whether a Blesser update is imminent or possible?
>--Loren

Loren,

I have used blesser to switch between System 6.0.7 and 7.0.  But's there a
catch; you must change one of two things inorder for it to work.

1.  Change the file type of the System 7.0 System file from 'zsys' to 'ZSYS'.
    (This will let one copy of Blesser let you change to wither system, and
     It doesn't appear to have any adverse effect on System 7.0)

2.  Make a copy of Blesser.  Then use a file editor (like norton) and search
    for the string 'ZSYS' in the copy.  Then change it to 'zsys'.  This tells
    the 2nd copy of Blesser to search for the System 7.0 folder. (I like this
    way better because I don't like modifying the new System.)

I put each copy of blesser in the right system folder, then when I run them,
I select the system file that comes up in the dialog box right away.

Hopefully, the author will possible make an update to let Blesser look for
both Systems with no modifications.

I have just downloaded System Switcher from sumex, and I am going to do some
testing to see if and how it works to switch back and forth.  I will post
again when I am done testing.

Later for now,

George
Acknowledge-To: <V2071A@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 16:26 EST
From: <BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: Compactor Pro and 7.0 compatibility

For those of you who are wondering about the compatibility of Compactor
Pro and System 7.0, I just finished talking with Bill Goodman (Compactor
Pro's author).  He says

1.  He has not had a chance fully to test it with System 7.0, but
2.  The reports he has gotten from beta testers indicate
    a.  It does indeed seem to work under 7.0
    b.  It is not 32-bit clean, so it must be run under 24-bit mode, and
    c.  There are some minor cosmetic problems.
3.  There should be, however, no problems relative to data integrity.
4.  He will be working on an update, which will not be immediately available
       (within, say, a week), but should not be too long down the line.

  Thus, it works, but be sure not to use it in 32-bit mode.

  The one cosmetic problem Bill mentioned was that the document window
did not immediately update when the "Add" button was pushed.  As soon as
the Add dialog was released, however, the archive window showed the
correct information.

  Bill seemed quite apologetic that he could offer no further information,
but he was not able to get hold of System 7.0 any earlier than "the rest
of us."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 1991 14:14 CDT
From: Happy the Man <DMONEY@ducvax.auburn.edu>
Subject: Desktop Manager and System 7

Desktop Manager will not work with System 7.0. If you have Desktop Manager
installed in your System Folder, your mac will go through the startup pro-
cedure okay, but when you get to the desktop, your machine will hang--you
will only see your menu and your watch cursor.

Restart your machine, holding down the shift key to turn all extensions off.
Remove Desktop Manager from your System Folder and restart.

Dean Money
Academic Computing Services
Auburn University

------------------------------

Date: 21 May 91 23:20 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: FDHD Without SWIM

>Is there any way to use an FDHD drive on one of the old macs that do not
>have the FDHD code in the roms, WITHOUT having to change these ? I was
>thinking of something like the HD20 or the AppleTalk inits, that install
>the necessary patches in the system.

The FDHD does not require modified ROM (the software modifications can be
loaded into RAM as ROM patches). The chip about which you have heard is a
different disk controller chip. The IWM (Integrated Woz Machine) chip which you
have is replaced by the SWIM chip (Super Wozniak Integrated Machine or
Snaders-Wozniak Integrated Machine, depending on whom you ask).

There is no way to use an Apple-labeled FDHD drive on a non- FDHD Mac without
this hardware upgrade, but there are third-party alternatives for using HD
disks with non-FDHD Macs.

Hope this helps,

pat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 13:52 PDT
From: I AM CatMUG <NELSON%catlin.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard drive/power light question

        I was wondering if it is possible (yes, it's possible, but is it safe)
to disconnect the power light on the front of the IIsi and connect it to the
plug on the HD (80 MB Quantum). I know how to do it, I'm just wondering if the
voltages and aperages are the same. I don't really need a power light (I can
hear the fan running when it's on) but I really could use a hard drive light.

Thanks in advance

Russ Nelson
Nelson@Catlin.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 11:01:30 EST
From: Doug Vetter <VETTER%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lapis card-Jet Writer incompatibility?

Hello all,
I am passing a question along for a friend of a friend, so watch out.
The problem seems to be frequent crashes when trying to print Word
docs from an LC to an HP Laserjet IIP equipped with a Jet Writer.The LC
specs are as follows: LC with 2MB RAM, a Lapis Display Server LC card,
and an Apple Portrait Display monitor. The printer has 1.5MB RAM.
Given all of this info, does anyone know of any reason why such crashes
should occur, or has anyone had similar experiences along these lines
involving the Lapis card? Any HELP would surely be appreciated right
now. Please reply directly to me. Thanks.

D. Vetter

------------------------------

Date: 21 May 91 15:10 GMT
From: CLARIS.CR@applelink.apple.com (Claris Customer Relations,CLA)
Subject: Latest version of MacWrite

The System 7 compatibility checker recommends updating MacWrite II to
version 1.1v2.  I have 1.1v1, so I asked Claris Customer Relations about
the update and here's what they said...
Date: Wed, 22 May 91 16:07:36 EDT
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: MacTCP

Hello everyone,

  I'm trying to use MacTCP and Telnet 2.3 (MacTCP version) under System
6.0.7, with a Novell Etherport II in my Mac IIcx.  With this configuration
I can Telnet to hosts on our local network ok, but when I try to go to a
host on the Internet (through our cisco router) the session dies soon
after the initial connect, and subsequent connects fail entirely.
I have the same problem with the Mac240 terminal emulator from White
Pines software, so it's not Telnet that's at fault.

  Has anyone seen this type of behavior?  I'm totally baffled.  I suppose
the thing to do would be to watch traffic at the router with a network
analyzer, but we don't have one.  8-(

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 09:33:09 SDT
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.AT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: NCSA TELNET vs. System 7

The problems with NCSA telnet and tn3270 that appear at some sites that have
recently upgraded to System 7 may be due to the fact that System 7 does not
support AppleTalk Phase 1 any more. For this reason we had to set our GatorBox
to phase 2 and the two aforementioned programs worked fine again.
We do however have a problem with HyperFTP which refuses to work under System 7

Norbert Mueller
Institute of Chemistry
Johannes Kepler University
A-4040 LINZ
AUSTRIA

------------------------------

Date: 20 May 91 21:00 -0500
From: "C.M. Cho" <ccho@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: Pay for Sys 7.0?

Hello, folks, opinions wanted!

I haven't  gotten 7.0 yet, since I don't know whether I should
ftp it or get it from the campus bookstore ($150 CDN!). Are the manuals
worth it? I rather doubt I'd ever use the support. Or is it perfect;y
(oops) useable w/o the manuals? I must admit I find the cost a bit on
the stiff side.

Thanks in advance!

Connie K. Cho

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 09:27 N
From: <VJAL2314%DS0RUS54.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: pro Jasmine

After some recent complaints concerning Jasmine Technologies, let me also put
in my $.02 worth:

Jasmine has held an excellent reputation for the quality of their products in
the past and I think this still applies after their restructuring. I bought
their Syquest drive 6 months ago and would recommend it wholeheartedly, also
for their documentation (not to mention the bundled S/W). They did have a lag
of two weeks in processing my order, but it was nothing we couldn't sort out,
even transatlantic.

In general, my observation in dealing with US companies is that since everybody
started to indicate fax numbers, communication is swift and effortless. And
with credit card rates down to below $20 per year (Germany), payment is equally
easy (& safe).

A last hint for potential European Jasmine customers: they are owned by a French
company and they do have an address in Paris (haven't tried it yet, though, so
I don't have it on hand; look closely at the Jasmine ads).

Frank Pohlemann                BITNET/PROFS/JNET:    vjal2314@ds0rus54.earn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 09:27:21 CDT
From: David Remington <DAVIDR%UAFSYSB.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: SYS7-L New System 7.0 List

Due to the recently high traffic on INFO-MAC, MAC-L and elsewhere concerning
System 7.0 we have decided to create a new list to handle issues specifically
relating to this issue. The new list, SYS7-L, is specifically dedicated to
the problems of installation, configuaration and features of the new system,
as well as issues relating to product compatibility. We hope that this will
serve the Macintosh community well, by providing a hoefully closer look at
this new product without diluting the excellent quality of existing Mac
mailing lists. To subscribe to the list send the following command to
LISTSERV@UAFSYSB: SUBSCRIBE SYS7-L Your Name

Please direct all questions, comments, or problems to the list owner:
David Remington    <DAVIDR@UAFSYSB> -or- <davidr@uafsysb.uark.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 21:12:13 CDT
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: System 7.0 -- Compatibility

Rick Rohan asked if VersaTerm Pro 3.1 is compatible. Synergy says that yes, it
is, but are recommending upgrading to VTPro 3.5 for the Communications Toolbox
compatibility. As for AppleShare PC, I believe that Farallon is handling all of
the PC AppleTalk products (or is that just the hardware?). Can't help on
the other three (shareware BoomeranS8g, Vantage 1.5, or Compact Pro).
Dave

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 08:08:25 EDT
From: Garrett Fitzgerald <SAREK@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: System 7.0--Word and Works

In the Compatibility Checker, it tells me that my versions of Word and Works
are not compatible with System 7.0. I've found that TrueType doesn't work with
Word--is this the only incompatibility? Thanks. :-)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 16:33 +0100
From: Pieter Stouten <Pieter.Stouten%EMBL-Heidelberg.DE@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7.0: READ/NEWthe path and file names of the system 7 software

Somebody requested the path and file names of the system 7 software
for automated downloading. I am sorry if this already has been posted
here, but the path for system 7 is:

dts/mac/system7/7.0.software/800k.images

and the files are:

disk-tools-image.hqx
fonts-image.hqx
install-1-image.hqx
install-2-image.hqx
install-3-image.hqx
more-tidbits-image.hqx
printing-image.hqx
tidbits-image.hqx

Download through anonymous ftp from 130.43.2.3 (ftp.apple.com).
I downloaded it last Sunday in the afternoon (European time !!)
without delay or problems.

Hope this helps,

Pieter Stouten, <stouten@embl-heidelberg.de>, <stouten@embl.bitnet>.

------------------------------

Date: 22 May 1991 13:04:04 CDT
From: "Richard K. Wolf (312) 996-5991" <U42641%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 and AfterDark -- the aftermath . . .

Thanks to everyone who responded to my "AfterDark is slow in 7.0"
post.  I got answers ranging from "there is already a revised version
of AfterDark which works better with the new Finder in the foreground"
to "they're aware of the problem."  I figure whoever is right, I'll
have a new and improved AfterDark soon.  For now, I'll make sure
some other application is in the foreground when impressing friends
and relatives.

. . . on second thought, maybe I will order that Flying Toaster T-shirt.
You shoulda seen the look on my over-PC'ed workmates' faces when I installed
AfterDark.  Even they admit that the PC version doesnt't come close
to the Mac's!

Richard K. Wolf
University of Illinois at Chicago
U42641@uicvm.uic.edu
U42641@UICVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 21 May 91 13:14:10 GMT
From: jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue)
Subject: System 7 and Compactor Pro self-extracting files

Has any one encounter problems with Compactor Pro self extracting files under
System 7?

I used to have problems under 6.0.7, but I ignored them.  Now, under System 7.0,
I find that I get an alert "application wants 0K of memory.  0K available. Do
you wish to open application with available memory"?

If I click OK (or Yes, whaterver), I get an error that the application quit
because of lack of memory. If I try to edit the Get Info application size, it
first of all takes about 3 minutes for the Get Info to appear, and then it will
not let me save the changes (not enough memory, please close applications and
windows).

Any ideas?  I am using a Mac IIci with no extensions other then the Systems
, CD-ROM 3.1, and MacTCP.

THank you,

Jason

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 19:54:20 EDT
From: Glenn Fleishman <FLEGLEI%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 compatible programs (info)

I upgraded to System 7 at home on Sunday & I love it. Nuff said. I have
spent several hours going through programs & Apple's compatibility checker
list & calling vendors to find out what works & what don't. Here's
a brief list.

Disktop should be upgraded to 4.0.1 (available from the sumex archives).
The accompanying CEToolbox Control Panel device should be updated to 1.6
to work. Available from C$, AOnline, etc. or from CE Software for $15.

Diskfit 2.4, the most recent release, is 7.0 compatible except with tape
drives. Apple says to get 2.7, but that won't be out until the end of
summer according to SuperMac Software. By the way, the receptionist knew
more than many technical support people I've talked to.

After Dark 2.0t, the latest release, works "95%" according to Berkeley
Systems Inc. The new release 2.0u will be out soon & they will post updaters
to sumex, among other places. It will be "100%" compatible they say.

Stuffit 1.6 (shareware version, Stuffit Classic) IS compatible. The fine
people at Aladdin said the Compatibility Stack has an error which causes it
to say it should be updated to 3.0. Stuffit Deluxe SHOULD be updated to 3.0
which will be available in the next few weeks.

Symantec products (SAM, SUM) should be upgraded. SAM (Virus program) has
release 3 out; SUM's release 3 is pending. People who got it through bundles
should call customer support; you'll have to send a photocopy of the first
page of the manual if you don't have a serial number (like many Dove bundles;
two of which I have).

Adobe's phone system is arcane, but here's the thing. If you use ATM &
Suitcase, you MUST HAVE 1.2.9. OR drag Suitcase 1.2.8 in the system folder
level NOT into the extensions folder. The 1.2.9 updater is in the sumex
archives. Call 415-961-0911 and hit 7, then 1 for ATM technical support.
Adobe Type Reunion should be upgraded to 1.0.1, a mini-release to become
fully 7.0 ready. One point oh is fine, but newer is more reliable. Free to
registered ATR users. Adobe Illustrator 3.0.1 (& Separator) are the 7.0
ready versions of those products. Registered 3.0 owners received the update
disk within the last two weeks.

DiskExpress MUST be upgraded to 2.0.7. Call 713-353-4090 (I think the phone
listed is wrong in the Apple stack) for ordering only. Credit cards, etc.
$14 for update; will be mailing within the next two weeks.

Whew. The ftp.apple.com site path is:
./dts/mac/system7/7.0.software then choose disk size for image files.
Also, the network software IS THERE for Dave who asked.

Glenn Fleishman, Yale Printing Service
glenn_fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu, yups@yalevm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 18:23:15 -0700
From: c9e-bx@volga.berkeley.edu (Timothy Suh)
Subject: system 7 problems

i have been running into some problems with memory using system 7.  i am
currently running a IIci with 8 meg and a number of extensions.  the system
memory takes up about 3 meg.

i have been getting messages saying that there is not enough memory to open
applications or to keep windows open,  when the about macintosh window
clearly shows 3 or 4 meg free.  a number of times, i was just running the
finder, and got a message that it could not even keep the current window
open.  i ended up having to reboot, because i could not do anything else.

question... does system 7 automatically adjust heap size, or is it necessary
to resize this manually.  has anyone else been having similar problems with
memory management?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 00:03 MDT
From: Bernie <BSWieser%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: uu**coding engine

Greetings.
I've just completed a generic uu**coding engine.  It's small, fast, and
seems to work so I am looking for people to test it.  Anyone interested
please send me mail, and I'll send you it, some quickly written documentation,
an improved uutool (2.0), and example source.  Once tested, I'll post it
and the new uutool to the nets.

Bernie Wieser
(Currently stranded on Multics with no internet access.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 91 21:18 EDT
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: vanishing startup screen: The Answer

Thanks to all and sundry who wrote suggesting that AppleShare or any init
which initialized the memory manager might be causing the problem. But that
wasn't the answer. Remember, I said that the startup screen was replaced
by gray *before* **any** inits began to march across the screen; and,
appleshare wasn't installed.

One person got the *right* :-) :-) answer, thank you very much. Solution is
(though don't ask me why), reset color depth to 1 (i.e. pure B&W), then back
to whatever I had it set at before (in this case, 4 = 16 grays). And voila,
inits now march across the startup screen as before, not across an all-gray
screen.

What a great net!

On another topic: I disagree with the view that initial impressions of
System 7 are just line chatter; I think this is a good forum for people to
flame and react about it, even if they err. I'm interested to see what folks
have to say, regardless.

matt

End of Info-Mac Digest