info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/25/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 24 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 116

Today's Topics:

      [*] Bootman
      [*] Extensions Manager
      [*] FCB Monitor
      [*] ftp primer
      [*] Teac Utility 1.1 desk accessory
      7 is not your lucky number: Reactions
      APS' APT
      Color Pain Programs
      Customizing the System 7.0 Finder
      Dangerous Tip!!!
      ELM under A/UX
      Mac Classic running Sys 7.0 and APS Quantum P105S
      Macintalk
      MPW 3.1
      NO 4-bit icons when Highlight color is "Green"/System 7
      PostScript
      Sys 7 made Quantum HD80 Invisible?
      System 7 (what else these days)
      Truetype Banners
      Weird Bugs

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 15:31:37 MDT
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca>
Subject: [*] Bootman

This is Bootman, a utility for changing heap space, file control blocks
and OS events.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/bootman.hqx; 16K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 01:21:29 GMT
From: norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia)
Subject: [*] Extensions Manager

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>Hi,
>  This is in response to those who were asking for a copy of the Extensions
>Manager, by Ricardo Batista, to be uploaded.  Well, here it is. This file
>will allow you to turn INITs, cdevs, and System 7.0 extensions on and off.

>logan  --  OIT User Service UNC Chapel Hill

>[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/extensions-manager.hqx; 21K]

Those not using System 7 may find it helpful as well since it works well
with System 6.0.x by putting turned off INITs and cdevs in a folder, *NOT*
merely changing their type.

Cheers,
Norton

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 15:20:14 MDT
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca>
Subject: [*] FCB Monitor

Thanks to all who responded to may problem with too many files being open
on an AppleShare server. I got a copy of Up Your FCBs, but was warned that
it is a little buggy. I received an excellent alternative in a cdev called
FCB Monitor. It seems to work well and not only lets you change the file
control blocks, it reports how many files are currently open. Another very
good fix sent was a utility called Bootman. It lets you change the FCBs as
well as OS events and heap size. I am sending both of these excellent
utilities for the archives.

In addition, someone suggested that I should reduce the number of suitcases
on the server by combining fonts and DAs into one suitcase. Apparantly, this
is done by copying the resources into one suitcase using ResEdit ( I haven't
tried it yet, but the guy says it works well).

Thanks again to all who helped.

Bob

[Archived as /info-mac/util/fcb-monitor.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 23:40:21 -0700
From: Raymond Beausoleil <beausol@milton.u.washington.edu>
Subject: [*] ftp primer

About six weeks ago, Bob Jopson of Bell Labs asked me to write a short article
on the rudiments of "ftp'ing" for "Optics and Photonics News," the monthly
magazine for members of the Optical Society of America. He certainly didn't ask
*me* because I am an expert; rather, I'm a fairly typical user who knows just
enough Unix to ftp, read mail, etc.

With much help, I managed to write the two-part article below. The first part
covers the ftp process itself, while the second part describes some approaches
to downloading and decoding Mac and MS-DOS files from a Unix host to your
microcomputer. In particular, Mac folks can find out how to get mcvert up and
running on their system.

The article below is somewhat longer and more detailed than the edited version
that will appear in O&PN.

Regards,

Ray Beausoleil

[Archived as /info-mac/report/ftp-primer.txt; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 21:15:18 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Teac Utility 1.1 desk accessory

This little utility is designed as an accessory for people who own
tape-backup drives which use the popular Teac MT-2ST cassette
mechanism (150 megabytes, plus or minus a bit).  It monitors and displays
the drive's status and error-log, and can thus give you some advanced
warning that your tape drive's heads are dirty and need cleaning, or
that your tape is wearing out.

Instructions are included.

---
Dave Platt

[Archived as /info-mac/util/teac-da-11.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 18:43:50 -0700
From: RSAUNDERS@hssi.dnet.hac.com
Subject: 7 is not your lucky number: Reactions

I would to thank the 35 people who sent my mail concerning the "get info on
the trashcan" checkbox to toggle trash warnings.  I obviously asked the
question wrong to Apple.

Since a number of people thought that was what my message was about, I
think I should restate my concern in a more compact manner.  I like much
of the way in which System7 has been distributed by Apple, especially the
idea of a compatibility checker.  I am not upset at how Apple handled the
process, I was expecting more impact from a major system revision.  I work
on my Mac a great deal, and I consider the ability to customize the Mac to
match my situation the primary differentiator between it and other workstations
I might use (Sun, NeXT, ...).   I might be willing to give up customization
for features, if the features seemed incompatible with customization.  However,
I don't understand why customization is incompatible with file sharing,
publish/suscribe, virtual memory, or balloon help.  If I wanted to pick a
fast, cheap computer and I wanted to tough it out with a user interface
designed to convince novice users to buy the system, I would use Windows 3.0.

Although 13MB is greater than 8MB, it is not enough to load all the programs
I use.  As a result I cannot just open everything at power-on and hide the
programs I am not using (Yes, I like "hide" alot, back as far as Finder6.1).
I would want to use virtual memory to avoid having to wait while programs
load themselves and display their happy version messages.  Yes, I understand
that Apple thinks virtual memory is a finder-in-the-dike until you buy more
RAM.  Alas, it could be so much more.

I understand that ResEdit is not the be-all-and-end-all of user friendly
preferences updating tools.  In fact I think that Preferences control panels
are the only civilized way to do things.  Too bad Apple doesn't agree.  I
knew, when I entered the post, that you could patch the hex of an "fmnu"
resource to change menus.  However, I took checked out the description of
ResEdit 2.1 and found that even in the new release Apple does not intend to
release templates which define what all these resources do.  I took some
offense at this and posted a bit more drastic flame than might have been
necessary, to point a glaringly offensive omision that I hope they fix soon.

Let me offer the following list as a start of the "System7 tricks" that I
would like to see people figure out.  As I discover them, I'll post tricks
(but probably just in a file interested parties can download):
1) Kill zoom boxes.
2) Complete templates for Finder resources.
3) Make the defalt for copy floppy to hard disk be "Doit" not "Cancel".
4) Large and small icon spacing.
5) Change date formats in list views to "MM/DD/YY".
6) Change column widths in list views, truncating long type names.
7) Change order of columns in list views (I couldn't do this in 6.0.7).
8) Add key equivalents to Finder menus.

In my opinion, many of the "features" of System7 are so infrequently used
as to hardly be worth the effort Apple must have spent on them.  In this
list I include:
1) Bubble Help, although it is darn cute.
2) Installing fonts automatically, Font/DA Mover was OK by me.
3) Adding user file classes when they always appear after mongo-long dates.
4) Adding Icons to Control Panel and DA names.

Finally, I would like to keep commentary on System7 in this forum.  I think
the Mac-System7 list is a cool idea for quick comments and answers.  However,
that list is not moderated or digestified.  As a result it is nearly impossible
to find things that you read in the past. More involved discussions should
take place in a refereed forum, where you will be able to find them in 3 months
when you decide to switch to System7.

	Randy Saunders

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 19:35:31 CDT
From: "sendhil  revuluri" <revu@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: APS' APT

Hello all.

Could someone please explain the difference between hard and soft partioning?
Which is the one that makes big files that aren't files, but partition place-
holders? And is Alliance Power Tools (comes with every APS drive) a hard or
soft partitioner?

On the same note: should one optimize before using VM, as you should when
partitioning?

Is SUM Partition hard or soft?

And should we get a Mac Classic 1/0 or a 2/40? Either way, we are buying an
APS 105 MB Quantum (external) hard drive. Price, memory, expandability, etc.
issues are important. (Does the 2/40 ship with System 7.0?)

For the answers to these and other questions, please email me in a day or two.
(To those gurus who are itching to answer: Please do so vial email, to the
address below.) If there is lots of interest, I will summarize to the net.

Thanks!

Sendhil Revuluri
revu@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 2:03:12 CDT
From: Your friendly neighbourhood Lab GTA <chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu>
Subject: Color Pain Programs

Oops, that should be "Color Paint Programs" 8-)

I am in the market for a cheap color paint program. I have test-driven a
friend's copy of MacCheese 1.05. I found the manual hilarious, and the
program has some really nice features like anti-aliasing, but I decided
not to get it after all, because I couldn't customize the pattern
palette, the color LUT, and the small color set palette. It was also
hard to pick a specific color because it doesn't use the standard color
picker, and was hard to change some other things like the size of the
picture or its pixel depth.

So does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not looking for a $400
professional package but rather something along the lines of a color
superpaint or something like that.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 15:46:14 SDT
From: "Alexander Falk (ALF)" <K360950%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Customizing the System 7.0 Finder

The new Finder for System 7.0 has indeed been completely rewritten (in C++)
and this is the very reason why none of the old ways to customize the
Finder with ResEdit work anymore.
There are, however, a couple of things you can actually do with ResEdit
in the new Finder, too. The menus are stored in resources of type 'fmnu'
(they include quite a bit more information than would fit in the regular
'MENU' resource type) and here is how you can edit them: Use ResEdit
(preferrably 2.1, but it should also work with older versions) to modify
the ResEdit Preferences file (in the Preferences folder inside your
System Folder) by adding a new resource of type 'TMPL'. Create 15 new
fields in the list and enter the following values for "Label" and "Type":

   Label            Type      Comment
   Visible          DWRD      1=Menu is visible in Menubar; 0=invisible
   Item Count       DWRD      the number of items in the menu plus 1
   ???              DWRD      ???
   Menu Number      DWRD      the resource ID of the 'fmnu'
   ???              DWRD      ???
   ???              DWRD      ???
   Title            ESTR      title of menu (padded to an even length)
   *****            LSTB      begin of item list
   AppleEvent       TNAM      corresponding AppleEvent for this item
   ???              DBYT      ???
   ???              DBYT      ???
   Cmd Key          CHAR      keyboard equivalent of command
   ???              DBYT      ???
   Item Text        ESTR      text of item
   *****            LSTE      end of item list

Please note, that a "???" indicates, that I simply don't know what these
fields contain (maybe they will one day be documented by Apple).
Once you've entered this list, close the 'TMPL' resource you've just
created and change it's name to 'fmnu' (using the "Get Resource Info"
command). Finally close and save the preferences file. You are now
ready to edit the Finder's menus!

There is, however, one tricky thing to actually do this: you have to
create a duplicate of the Finder, edit the copy, and finally replace it
in the System Folder and reboot.

While the above technique will actually give you the same freedom of
customization that you already had in the 6.0.x days, there is lots
more you can do with the new 'fmnu' resources:

1) The 'fmnu' resource type is NOT position-dependent anymore! This
   means that you can actually completely REARRANGE the menus in the
   Finder. All you need to do is make sure that you copy all the
   information stored in the various fields of an item to it's new
   destination (copy/paste can be a lot of help here!). You can
   even create your own menu and move commands from other menus to
   the new one!
2) If you find yourself getting annoyed by the fact that you always
   have to go through a lengthy duplicate/edit-the-copy/replace/reboot
   sequence to try out a new variation, the following might be a tip for
   you: you can actually add a "Quit" command to the Finder!
   Here is how: Open the "File" 'fmnu' and add 2 to the number of menu
   items (Item Count); Copy a separation line and append it to the end
   of the menu; Create another new item at the end of the menu; For this
   last item put 'quit' in the AppleEvent field, -127 in the next field
   (the one labeled ???), and finally "Quit" in the item text field.
   What this actually does is tell the Finder to send a "quit" AppleEvent
   to itself every time you choose that command from the menu. If you
   now want to customize the Finder, life is suddenly easy: just launch
   ResEdit; switch to the Finder; Quit from the Finder (doesn't that
   sound weird?!); edit the Finder from within ResEdit; Quit from
   ResEdit (once you quit the last running application the Mac will
   relaunch the Finder); voila - you are back in the Finder and didn't
   even have to reboot in order to see your newly customized Finder.

By the way, all the above assumes that you know how to use ResEdit. If
you don't, please don't attempt this, as it might damage your Finder.
Which reminds me: it is always a wise idea to keep a backup of your
original Finder (just in case something goes wrong....).

I will post more Finder customization tips as soon as I understand
the other new resource types.....

Happy Seven-Oh-ing,

(A) (L) exander  (F) alk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 09:56 EDT
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Dangerous Tip!!!

Chip Eckardt writes:
>If your Mac freezes up on you after booting reboot with a bootable System
>6.0X disk.  Look for a folder in the main window on the hard drive called
>Desktop Folder.  Delete this folder and reboot.  This worked with beta
>7.0 lockups.

Chip, that's a good idea, but you forgot to mention what's IN the Desktop
Folder.  I have a number of documents/applications dragged out onto my desktop
for quick access.  System 7 (for some reason) moved all those files into the
Desktop Folder.  Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but it seems to me that a
user who just "delete[d] this folder and reboot[ed]" might lose some important
files that way.

Mark Nutter [manutter@grove.iup.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 17:44:04 EDT
From: "Mark A. Steggert" <masst9@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: ELM under A/UX

  Greetings. I am writing in hopes that someone in netland can advise me
as to the most likely causes for a problem that I'm having in getting ELM
to operate under A/UX 2.0.1.
 The package as I have it currently installed will both send and receive
mail messages, however I am not alerted when new mail messages arrive.
Is there a flag that I need to set on sendmail in /etc/inittab or elsewhere?
Any help would be very much appreciated as I am a new to the A/UX environment.

Mark

masst9@unix.cis.pitt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 16:48:18 CDT
From: rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook)
Subject: Mac Classic running Sys 7.0 and APS Quantum P105S

Can anyone confirm that the Mac Classic will run System 7.0 from an APS
Quantum Pro105S using Power Tools 1.13?  If I install from another machine,
everything is fine. When I hook the HD back up to the Classic, System 7.0
behaves "normally" until I try to copy a file from a floppy. The machine
then hangs with the select light for the HD on.  The drive is then trashed,
and will not reboot to system 7.0. (requires a reformatting on a different
machine.)  Copying files works fine with this drive on a IIcx.

Is there something wrong with my Classic?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 2:15:26 CDT
From: Your friendly neighbourhood Lab GTA <chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu>
Subject: Macintalk

Donald Peterson's search for a Mac program that reads text out loud
reminded me that this facility came out with the mac way back in '84
or so, in the form of Macintalk, but that in recent years, Macintalk
seems to have been abandoned by Apple.

In fact, most of the Macintalk-using programs I had died with 6.0.5
and I think the rest of them went with sys7...

Why??????? Apple coulda boasted that Mac was the only computer that
*came* with built-in speech synthesis... but no, they let it fall by
the wayside.

(If anyone knew of how to use Macintalk with Sys7, I'd appreciate the
info.)

Ian Chai     Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
               Bitnet: 665instr@ukanvax

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 1991 19:39:44 PDT
From: nicky@apple.com (Nick Pilch)
Subject: MPW 3.1

>   System 7 is going great for me, except for one latent surprise:
>clicking on my recently purchased MPW 3.1 resulted in a dialogue
>telling me it was time to upgrade.  WTF?!?  Then I noticed mentioning
>that the upgrade wouldn't be available until June.  BBT.
>   Then, like most people probably by now, I started to wonder just
>how 7 was able to be so biased.  It wanted version 3.2, not version
>3.1.  Version?  As in vers-ion?  Whip out ResEdit!
>   What I did was copy every resource out of the existing MPW
>shell into a new document, setting its info to the correct type
>and such as well, and then messing with the vers resources so that
>they read 3.2 instead of 3.1.  Hopefully this isn't too terrible
>illegal... I might see this e-mail in court again.

I doubt if this is illegal, but if you do it, don't say you weren't warned!
There's good reasons why the system goes through the extra trouble of
warning you about MPW. You may have problems with FileShare and VM and
other
things.

Again, this is probably not a wise thing to do. Run MPW 3.2 or later on
System 7.

Disclaimer: Apple Computer has nothing to do with what I say on the net.

Nick Pilch
Development Systems Group
Apple Computer
nicky@apple.apple.com
AppleLink: NICK.PILCH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 00:29 CDT
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG@lawrence.edu>
Subject: NO 4-bit icons when Highlight color is "Green"/System 7

Well, "fortunately" for me, I have been at home the past
two days, nursing a sick person, and this has given me plenty
of time to do System 7 testing.

Now this is repeatable, even off a freshly installed System
Folder onto a blank partition, with no inits,etc.

When I select the highlight color "Green" in the Color
CDEV, I lose all my 4-bit color icons.  I.E.  The Apple,
all icons, Special Folders, etc.  ALL turn black and white.
I can select any other color, and the all come back.  I can
even select a color as close as I can tell to the "Green", and
all the 4-bit color icons come back.  They also come back
if I set the video mode to 8-bit with the Monitors CDEV.

To repeat: in 16 color (4bit) mode, when I select the
predefined color "Green" for Highlight color, I lose all Icl4
displays (no color icons, apple, folders, etc.) If I switch to
256 color mode, or select any other Hightlight color, they come
back.

Strange, huh?

Also, the About this Mac..  box is all in b&w as well, and it
STILL shows my SE/30 as having 2 internal floppy drives.  IT IS
TEASING ME!

Setup -
Mac SE/30 Micron 8-bit color card, Micron Monitors CDEV extension,
freshly installed System 7 onto a blank disk, selected "Software
for SE/30".

Greg Trimper Strange@Things.brewing.on.my.mac

------------------------------

Date: 23 May 91 14:14 -0700
From: burton@cs.sfu.ca
Subject: PostScript

SendPS doesn't work under System 7.  (Similarly, OzTeX can't print.  For
me this is the real problem.))

1.  Does anybody know how to print postscript files?

2.  What does one do about adding a laser prep (e.g. for printing on a
Unix machine) now that there doesn't appear to be an explicit laser
prep?

Warren Burton, Simon Fraser University, burton@cs.sfu.ca

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 01:01:26 -0500
From: Jonathan Mills <jwmills@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Sys 7 made Quantum HD80 Invisible?

System 7 has made the internal Quantum 80Mbyte hard disk drive in my
SE invisible, unaddressable, or else has physically damaged the drive.

My configuration:

SE, Radius 25 Accelerator & two-page display, 4Mb memory, Quantum 80Mb HD

The sequence of events:

1. Installed Sys 7.  Would not boot, hung regardless of configuration
   of Radius 25/TPD.

2. Used Sys 7 disk tools to reinitialize the internal Quantum drive.

3. Installed Sys 7 on Quantum drive, booted without Radius 25/TPD;
   everything worked, saw balloon help, read about $2/minute charge
   for users who didn't buy "upgrade Kit", saw "Rock-solid" logo, etc.

4. Rebooted with Radius 25 but *not* TPD;  everything worked.

5. Rebooted with Radius 25/TPD; system hung.

Now for the REALLY BAD NEWS.

6. Rebooted again -- and the icon for the internal Quantum HD was GONE!

7. Repeated 6 several times:  the Quantum drive light goes on, but
   the startup drive is not found.  The flashing disk w/ question mark
   comes up.

I have other devices on the SCSI bus (an everex disk & tape drive); they
work, so I suspect that the internal HD is *probably* physically OK.

It may be that reformatting the internal drive with the System 7
hard disk setup program has created a "Catch-22" situation where the
drive can't boot because it can't recognize itself...

None of the versions of Apple's hard disk setup programs can find the
internal drive, so I can't reformat it for an earlier system.

Is there any way to force the drive to be recognized?  Or software
that reformats "invisible" drives?  Or should I reset PRAM?  Take
some obvious & trivial action to bring the drive back, somehow?

When & if I figure this out -- or until someone provides a working
solution to this problem -- or I find that coincidentally the drive
blew *just* after installing Sys 7 -- I'd advise against trying for
a "clean" install on a customized Mac.  Something is very wrong
somewhere with System 7.  I'd sure like to know how to recover from
it so I can get my drive back & return to System 6.0.5.  I know
Apple can't check every configuration, so this is not a flame -- and
I *did* back everything up -- but who would have expected to lose
the internal Quantum HD from the desktop?

Sincerely,
Jonathan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 1991 17:47 CDT
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG@lawrence.edu>
Subject: System 7 (what else these days)

Hello all.

First - One of the problems that I said I was having with Sys7 was
	the balloon being cut in half - that was due to the TB2/R
	init.  Mystery solved.

Second- Things I like - 1.  Duplicate XXX produces XXX Copy, NOT Copy of
	XXX!!!  Good job!  "Copy of.." took things out of alph. order,
	and that always annoyed me.  2. The overall directory Listings -
	I always liked name view, but then you could not see Size/Free
	amounts.  Now you can turn that on!  Also, I simply LOVE the
	arrows to view the heir. of folders.  Click - expand.  Click -
	collapse.  I kept HFS Backup around just for that sort of functionality
	in directory listings.  Nice job, again.

Third -	Problems 1. Compactor Pro.  in the Dialog box to Add.. to archive,
	the return and enter keys DO not add the highlighted item to the
	archive, as the default button {Add}, and performance under sys6
	suggest it would.  I sent Bill Goodman a note on this, but maybe he
	will read it first here.  Has anyone else noticed this?  2.  Is there
	a fix for INIT/cdev 3.0?  It does not find all the inits.

Fourth-	Picky Problems - 1. Hey, Apple, when I choose "About this Macintosh"
	it shows me an icon of an SE with 2 floppy drives built in.  Now,
	While I wish that I could have two internal floppys AND an internal
	HD like I was able to have with the SE (that was so convienent),
	the design of the SE/30, which is what I have, prevents that.  I just
	think that if I only have one floppy drive, it should show me an icon
	with just one floppy drive.  There is an icon in the System with
	just one floppy drive, but mine shows two.  (config - SE/30 8/80
	with external CD/ROM, Tape, and HD, and external 800k floppy, however,
	disconecting the ext. floppy does not solve the prob).
	2. WHY CAN'T I HAVE "Physical Icons" for the floppies anymore?  Or
	can I?  I can't find that option anywhere.
	3. Set Startup is missing.  How can I set apps/DA's to starup
	with the mac?
	4. Switching apps - With Sys6/OnCue, I was able to switch between
	apps under multifinder by the keyboard or by clicking the icon
	in the menu bar.  Now I have click, drag, release.  Why can't
	we simply rotate between open apps?  That was a very nice feature.

Fifth -	ResEdit.  Okay, I was able to modify keys for menu items easily
	enough, but try as I might, I can not get rid of zoom rects.  I have
	never liked this feature (useless waste of time, ESPECIALLY under
	sys7 where my once fast SE/30 is slowed down visibly by all the
	animation, etc in the finder.)  I tried modifying AND simply removing
	the FAni and RECT resources, but no luck.  Are these the wrong
	resources?  Or do I have to set just a particular byte to 00 or 0F?
	Anyone?

Sixth -	New Victim - Insignia's Multi-Driver INIT/cdev does not work with
	virtual memory.

Seventh-Can I prevent the Finder from "Rescuing Items", i.e. the ResEdit scrap
	file, every time I run ResEdit?

Thanks for the time,
Greg Trimper Trimper@Lawrence.bitnet, and many other.  Disclaim and alarm

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 2:08:58 CDT
From: Your friendly neighbourhood Lab GTA <chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu>
Subject: Truetype Banners

Does anyone know of a banner program that takes advantage of the fact
that now with TrueType we could do banners on the Imagewriter at 72 dpi?

The one from CE software still uses 72 point version of the font and big
pixels...

Ian Chai     Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
               Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 20:07:15 -0400
From: Steve Eisenberg <steve@csmil.umich.edu>
Subject: Weird Bugs

	I have a Mac SE 30 with 4 meg ram and a two page display and internal Quantum 80 meg hard.  I have been getting erratic behavior out of the machine
I get many bus errors, micro processor not installed, out of memory, and other
strange error messages like these.  If I attempt to open the application enough
it will open, but often it takes 4 or 5 attemps after restarts.  When I collect all the "stuff " on the hard disk and put it into a folder and get Info i have
40+ meg although get info for the disk says I have 73+meg used.  I have looked at it with resedit and mac tool and have found nothing.  I have my system on an
external hard drive because when I install the system on the internal it acts
even screwier than it does now.  Any hints ??????????????????
Steve Eisenberg  steve@csmil.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 16:18:51 EDT
From: phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)

Connie K. Cho writes:
> I haven't gotten 7.0 yet, since I don't know whether I should ftp it or
> get it from the campus bookstore ($150 CDN!). Are the manuals worth it?

For those who feel more comfortable with additional System 7 installation
guidance, and for those who don't want to figure out the new features of System
7 haphazardly, there are a number of third-party books already available which
are good substitutes for Apple's System 7 documentation.  The following info
comes from recent issues of MacWeek:

General information:

"The System 7 Book", Ventana Press, 388 pp, $22.95.
"The Macintosh Bible Guide to System 7", Goldstein & Blair, 253 pp, $12.
"The Little System 7 Book", Peachpit Press, Inc., 160 pp, $12.95.

More specialized:

"The Macintosh Font Book, 2 ed.", Peachpit Press, Inc., 350 pp, $23.95.
(Includes updated information re TrueType.)

"System 7 Revealed", Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Inc., $22.95.
(For programmers.)

Scott Robert Anderson
phssra@emoryu1.{cc.emory.edu,bitnet}
gatech!emoryu1!phssra