info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/25/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 24 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 117

Today's Topics:

      32 bits of woe
      Auto-desktop rebuilding when switching 6.05<->7.0 ?
      BBS
      boomerang
      CD-ROM drives
      Command keys for menu's
      Help with VAX, ZMODEM....
      HyperCard w/ CloseView & 21" monitor for visually impaired user
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #116 (2 msgs)
      Is there a memory tester out there?
      logging application usage
      Looking for utility to change type and creator
      MacIIsi Tuning (or Cache vs Color)
      MacsBugs 5.4 Crashes System 7.0
      News submission for comp.sys.mac.digest
      startup items
      Sys 7 & Invisible HD
      Sys 7 installation problems
      System 7 - Changing Icons for Special Folders (TIP)
      System 7 - Now What?
      system 7.0
      System 7 and color Icons
      Teleport Modem
      VIRUS-L Digest V4 #88

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 17:52:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ray Pelletier <rp23+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: 32 bits of woe

This is the machine:

    Mac IIci
    8M RAM
    40M Apple HD
    Daystar Digital cache card
    Asante Ethernet card
    Apple 2 page monitor
    Apple 2 page monitor card (precursor of 4*8, etc)

With the advent of 32 bit mode System 7 and relatively inexpensive 4M simms,
we have been considering upgrading our machines to 32M.  I installed System 7
on one machine so that we could check out which applications work.
(32 bit mode, no VM)

Problem is that one of our programs not only hung the machine, but put it
into a state where it could no longer be booted in 32 bit mode.
Reinitializing the disk and reinstalling System 7 didn't make a bit of
difference.

Playing around with Control Panel settings DID fix the problem... the
first time.  Of course I wasn't satisfied with breaking things once and
eventually
ran that same application a second time (FYI MACL 1.3.2).  Now, of
course, nothing I do succeeds in getting this machine to boot in 32 bit
mode.

The machine gets a happy MAC, puts up a double edge window the size of
the "Welcome to Macintosh" window, hides the cursor, and hangs.

I have two theories

Theory 1: Parameter RAM getting set to some bogus value.
Theory 2: Non-Apple cards and/or older monitor card not compatible.

I don't know how to test Theory 1, and would like some feedback before
yanking out cards to check Theory 2.  Ideas, anyone??

--Ray Pelletier

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 15:44:53 EDT
From: berry@a.chem.upenn.edu (Donald H. Berry)
Subject: Auto-desktop rebuilding when switching 6.05<->7.0 ?

   In general, I think 7.0 is a real winner.  I'm currently keeping
two boot disks:  6.0.5 on an internal HD, and 7.0 on a Syquest
removable 45MB HD.  I generally just leave the RM45 running and let
7.0 boot-up (default).  However, sometimes I need 6.0.5, so I change
the StartupDisk Control Panel, restart, and use 6.0.5.  I just don't
touch the "new folders" (Desktop and Trash) which magically appear
on all my volumes when viewed under 6.0.5.

   Now the problem: When I go back to 7.0 (again, by resetting the
StartupDisk), the desktops of all volumes get rebuilt, and then
"modified for the new system software".

     Interestingly, there's another way of switching between systems
which doesn't cause the desktops to be rebuilt.  If the RM45 is off
during startup, the system folder on the internal HD gets used (6.0.5)
by default.  Later, I turn the RM45 back on, restart back to 7.0, but
the desktops do not get rebuilt.

Questions:
   (1)  Why are the desktops getting rebuilt sometimes and not others?
   (2)  Is there anything wrong with switching without getting the
        desktops rebuilt?

Don Berry

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 01:17 PDT
From: ROBYN <RMORIYAMA@scuacc.scu.edu>
Subject: BBS

I obtained Hermes 1.5 from our local MUG... however, I cannot get it to
run with System 7!  I understand that Hermes doesn't require the communications
toolbox (like 6.07 did), however, I can't seem to read any of the email
or posts that I put up.

I can run the software, and even upload/download.  When I "post" things and
do email, the "UserEdit" logs in the mail and posts but I can never read
them... as if they were lost or something... I think it has to do with
setting the path... could someone shed some light on setting up messages in
Hermes?

I'm a new Mac convert and would appreciate any help

Thanks!

Robyn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 14:04:18 PDT
From: jedavis@ucdavis.edu (James Davis)
Subject: boomerang

Does anyone know whats up with boomerang?  It didnt even load itself
on my machine, and i assumes the new standard file dialogs had ruined
all hope. but ive heard other people mentioning it. Does anyone know
if there is a working version available?

James Davis (jedavis@ucdavis.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 15:41 CDT
From: DENIS@evax.p-e-t.mankato.msus.edu
Subject: CD-ROM drives

   Some faculty members are interested in getting a CD-ROM
drive for our Macs (about 60).  For those who have some
experience and/or knowledge about the drives I have the
following questions:

1. What are the important parameters that determine which
   CD-ROM drive to buy?? (Are they pretty generic??)
2. Can the drive be connected to the network and accessed
   that way instead of available only to the mac it is
   connected to??
3. An article in MacWeek described new drives from several
   vendors. Are there new drives with superior price and
   performance about to be released??
4. Is additional software required to access the drive??

I will summarize my findings if people are interested.

Denis Becker
denis@msus1.msus.edu
denis@msus1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 12:53:36 PDT
From: jedavis@ucdavis.edu (James Davis)
Subject: Command keys for menu's

With all the help being offered regarding how to get command
key equivalents for menu's a thought occured to me.
Shouldn't I be able to look all this up?  Does anyone
know if apple or APDA publishes anything that describes all
the new resources?
Perhaps its in IM6 which i havent been able to obtain yet?
Any way, if anyone knows where I can get a refrence for this
stuff, Id appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 12:20 EDT
From: <UN025523%WVNVMS.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Help with VAX, ZMODEM....

Hello, net:

I am new to communication on a Mac.

I have not subscribed to this list since the beginning of this year, so
I'm not sure if this subject has been covered before.  (I'm willing to bet
it has.)  So here's the problem.

I've got Chuck Forsberg's RZSZ for VAX/VMS (version 2.10--I know that there's
a more recent version, but I've heard it's incompatible with previous versions
of ZMODEM).  I am using ZTERM dated October 31, 1989.  Since this program
does not have Kermit (the only protocol supported locally), I have to use
ZMODEM for file transfers.

I have successfully (I hope--no text editor) effected ascii transfers, but
all Binary transfers result in a message that the CRCs are messed up.  I
made sure to "type binary" when I FTPed the files I want.  I tried ZTERM
set at Smart MacBinary and again at Always MacBinary.  On the VAX side,
I tried "SZ -B -K {filename}".

So what's the problem here?

If this is a topic of interest, I will post to the net.  Please send all

Thank you,

James Burnell

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 15:59 CDT
From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: HyperCard w/ CloseView & 21" monitor for visually impaired user

Hello programmers,

I need some help with the following situation:

A visually impaired associate uses CloseView on her 21" monitor to amplify a
HyperCard stack with lots of buttons and fields.

Some of the scripts use MacinTalk to "narrate" through the buttons names so
that it it not totally necessary to see the screen to make a choice.  For
visual reinforcement of the audio cues, we would like to make the buttons
visible on the amplified screen as their names are being spoken.

The trouble with CloseView is that with large magnifications, only a small part
of the screen is visible at some given time, which means that buttons usually
can't be seen as they are called.  To my knowledge, there is no HC command to
get the HC window to move around on a large screen.

Possible solution (1):  use a sysenvirons xfcn to get screen dimensions, then
enlarge the HC stack window rect to that of the screen, then use HC "scroll"
command to bring buttons to exact center of screen.

Possible solution (2):  use xcmd to get screenrect and move HC stack window
on screen so that "called" buttons are at screen center.

Have any of you got a working solution to this problem?  I wouldn't mind trying
to write an xcmd, but time is very short and I am pretty green with xcmds.

As Mose Allison would say, "... I want to thank you in advance."  Please mail
directly to me, and if interest is overwhelming, I'll summarize to the net.

Albert Everett
UALR Academic Computing Services
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
BITNET:  aeeverett@ualr.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 17:11:18 EST
From: Chris Jones <CHMCHRIS@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #116

>Finally, I would like to keep commentary on System7 in this forum.  I think
>the Mac-System7 list is a cool idea for quick comments and answers.  However,
>that list is not moderated or digestified.  As a result it is nearly impossibl
>to find things that you read in the past. More involved discussions should
>take place in a refereed forum, where you will be able to find them in 3 month
>when you decide to switch to System7.

just a quick note to point out that this is no longer the case.  David
is now (painstakingly) digesting the list, until such time as the traffic goes
down, or he can find an automatic digest-ifier.  System 7 discussion almost
certainly still belongs there.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 18:44 EDT
From: "Gary Johnston, Northern Kentucky University" <JOHNSTON%NKUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

In the middle of "The System 7 Book" by Craig Danuloff (which I think is a
pretty good book) I found the following tidbit.  Pressing
Option-Command-Escape causes a forced exit from a program.  This is supposed
to be useful in a crash, giving a temporary fix to allow you to save work in
and coresident applications before thre recommended rebooting.  It does work,
and gives at least a hint of how nice life would be in a partitioned (protected)
multitasking environment like VMS where a crashed program affects only the
immediate user's individual process ('job' to you IBMers).

But it does not work if there is a total system freeze, limiting its
usefullness.  **sigh**

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 12:04:14 -0500
From: rohan@euler.jsc.nasa.gov (Rick Rohan)
Subject: Is there a memory tester out there?

Does anyone have a public domain/shareware utility that can repeatedly
test memory to reveal flaky SIMMs.  We have a set of SIMMs, one of which
we think is bad, but it is able to pass the system startup test.  We
don't think it is due to other faults in the machine (because the SIMM
set will crash on more than one machine).  We also made sure that they
are well seated.  The mac that holds these bad SIMMs will only crash on
rare occasions, therefore to ensure that we are not crashing from
something else we need some kind of testing utility.

If a Public Domain/Shareware utility is not available, suggestions of
commercial software would be appreciated.

I tried ram-checker off of the archive.  It appears to only test the application
heap.

Thanks
Rick Rohan

P.S. Comment on System 7.0...With the 3D look and feel and the new heirchial
     Views it looks a little more like MS Windows!  Maybe Microsoft will now
     sue Apple! :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 14:31:06 PDT
From: Samson Tu <tu@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: logging application usage

Our group is providing to a group of users an application constructed
using a commercial Mac database management system. We would like to
monitor the usage of that application by logging the times when a user
launches or exits from the application.

We had considered LaunchBreak, a program that monitors the number of
copies of a program that are in use on a network, that has this kind of
logging facility. However, because  LaunchBreak does not seem to work well
on a stand-alone machine, and because it makes modifications to the
applications it is monitoring, we decided against using it.

Are there other programs that can be used to log the usage of a Mac
application? Please send replies to tu@sumex-aim.

Many thanks.

Samson Tu
 ------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 13:38:31 PDT
From: jedavis@ucdavis.edu (James Davis)
Subject: Looking for utility to change type and creator

>I am looking for a utility to allow me to change the type and creator
>of a file.  I know how to do it in ResEdit but I need to set up an
>idiot proof method for normal users.  Ideally the application should
>be restricted to convert only from one specified type to another
>specified type.

I have two possible solutions...

1)Type/Creator DA.. well I suppose with sys7 things dont have to
be DA's but thats beside the point.  It just brings up a box that
lets you pick a file from standard file.  You then have the option
to change the TYPE and creator to whatever you want. Really simple to
use. Although the person using it need to know what things should get
changed to.  A friend wrote it, so I should be able to get it in
Application form, if thats prfeferable for some reason.

2)Phantom - An application I origianlly wrote to switch MacWrite
docs automatically MSWord.  But its configurable, so you could have it
switch things into any creator you want.  From the finder you would
just highlight the doc you wanted switched and Phantom
(theyd have to be in the same folder i think) and double click.
This wont change file type though, just creator.

I think Type/Creator is currently in the waiting queue at sumex,
and ill be happy to send along Phantom if theres an interst.
I havent bothered since its sort of similar to Application replacer.
(also at sumex)

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 15:27:20 CDT
From: strick@slcs.slb.com
Subject: MacIIsi Tuning (or Cache vs Color)

  Recently we have aquired a number of MacIIsi with 17 Meg and 100Meg
  disks.  We've been a bit disapointed with the performance and then
  Kurt Behnke discovered an interest 'tuning' trick.

  Kurt writes ...
 >   The explanation is that the video RAM sits in the 1 M RAM bank A
 > (fixed on the board), that is very busy (the more colours the busier).
 > Hence access to this part of memory is very slow.
 >   Smaller applications (almost every appl. is small, except things like
 > Mathematica ...) fit almost entirely into this bank, since the
 > application heap grows from bottom to top.
 >   Now Apple says that access to the other SIMMs is not affected by
 > video RAM access. So one needs a device to move applications to
 > higher parts of the memory.
 >   The solution is actually very easy: Ajust the RAM CACHE to
 > 768 K. As a consequence bank A is all video and RAM cache. Then
 > the performance with 256 colours is (almost) as good as in Black
 > and White.
 >   Regards,
 >        Kurt Behnke

  Well, much to our dismay, when we tried to bump the cache up to
  the recommended 768k, our IIsi would only go up to 384k cache.
  This is true with NO applications active and PLENTY of memory.

  On our IIsi with 5 Meg the cache will go up until close to all the
  RAM is used, 768k is easy.

  Have any of you seen this?  Any idea what's goin-on?

Don W Strickland

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 16:10:41 EDT
From: berry@a.chem.upenn.edu (Donald H. Berry)
Subject: MacsBugs 5.4 Crashes System 7.0

Despite a "Compatible" Status from Compatibility Checker 1.0, addition
of MacsBugs 5.4 to the System Folder (7.0) led to a total freeze upon
restart.  Version 6.2.1 works dandy, though.

-Don Berry

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 08:57:26 -0400
From: news@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu
Subject: News submission for comp.sys.mac.digest

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.sys.mac.digest
From: wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson)
Subject: Sys 7.0 programming problem
Sender: usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Fri, 24 May 91 12:56:57 GMT

	I have a program that puts a dialog box above the SFdialog when
selecting files.  It has worked for sometime under 6.0.X, but when run
under Sys 7.0, the dialog box is displayed (but dimmed) and the text
is not shown.  The code is enclosed below.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Compiler is Think C 4.0.5.

Bill Pearson

 ---------------
#include <MacTypes.h>
#include <StdFilePkg.h>
#include <DialogMgr.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#define FileDID 203

SFTypeList tlist={'TEXT',0L,0L,0L};

extern Point wpos;

FileDlog(prompt,freply)
	char *prompt;
	SFReply *freply;
{
	DialogPtr DP;
	CtoPstr(prompt);
	ParamText(prompt,"\p","\p","\p");       <--- This text is not displayed
	DP = GetNewDialog(FileDID,NULL,-1L);
	ShowWindow(DP);
	SFGetFile(wpos,"\p",0L,1,tlist,0L,freply);
	DisposDialog(DP);
	ParamText("\p","\p","\p","\p");
	PtoCstr(prompt);
	}

 ---------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 17:03:15 -0400
From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)
Subject: startup items

Hi netters:

Thanks to those people who answered my question about the equivalent of
FindStartUp in system 6.x. The answer is the new Startup Items folder in
System 7.0. Drop applications, files, DAs, or alias into that fold and they
will be opened during booting. Furthermore, holding down the shift key
while booting not only kills extentions but also those items in the Startup
Items fold.

Chou

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 11:06:39 -0500
From: Jonathan Mills <jwmills@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Sys 7 & Invisible HD

System 7 did *not* cause my Quantum 80Mbyte HD to die -- apparently the
repeated (like 5) on-off cycles during the hour I experimented with Sys 7
was sufficient to trigger the infamous "stuck drive" problem on the sixth
boot & subsequent boots.

On the advice of our systems manager I smacked the Mac several times
sharply on the side of the case near the HD while it was attempting to
boot -- and the drive came up!  This drive has been in use for over two
years, but typically is turned on in the morning, and left on until
midnight.  Murphy's law decreed that it would act up directly after
getting Sys 7 to boot.

In the process of returning to system 6.0.5, which has been very stable
for me, I found that after having formatted the Quantum HD with the
Apple SC HD Setup v7.0, I was unable to format the drive with either
versions 2.0 or 2.0.1 of the software.  Attempts to do so failed to verify
the format, then caused the drive to "stick" -- or something.

This problem could be solved by reformatting -- for a second time -- with
the v7.0 SC HD Setup, which did succeed.  There may be other software
out there that can re-initialize an Quantum HD with Apple's Sys 7 driver
installed, but Apple's software can't do it.

So far no problems running with Sys 6.0.5 & the Sys 7 HD driver, so
perhaps everything will work out.

In closing, there *was* something seriously wrong -- but it was the
Quantum drive, *not* System 7.  And IMHO, Sys 7 looks quite exciting,
certainly enough so to try it again with an updated Radius CDEV.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 9:42:15 EDT
From: Steve Berlin <berlin@saffron.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Sys 7 installation problems

I just finished installing sys 7, and thought I'd pass on a few warnings:
  (1) Make sure that the fonts in your current system file are not corrupted.
 	(I had somehow gotten several duplicate fonts loaded, and, although
	 the installation SEEMED to go smoothly, I was unable to open the
	 resulting system file.  In the end, I did a 'clean' install by
	 deleting the system completely and re-installing.)
  (2) I decided to keep sys 6 on my external hard disk so that I could
	reboot to run certain old, incompatible apps, at least until I
	upgrade them.  Alas, although this works, there ar some annoying
	glitches.  System 7 rrebuilds the desktop(s) whenever it is run
	after I have run sys 6.   This, on my slow disks and old SE, is
	a very slow procedure.
	Also, the mouse speed setting changes when I switch systems.
	I suspect that sys 7 is using a different encoding for the stored
	data.  Not a big problem, but annoying.
  (3) I have been able to crash the mac (BOMB with "illegal instruction")
	using the print monitor.  I haven't tried to reproduce this one,
	but beware.

On the up side, I like the new features a lot.  Particularly like aliases
and the fact I can dump anything into the apple menu.  The techs answering
the w3upgrade answerline have been very helpful, though they won't admit that
maybe I found a bug in the print monitor - in fact, they claim that NO bugs
have been reported yet - just installation questions!

All in all, I'd say that apple has done a great job here.  Oh, the tech also
told me that the price for an SE to SE-30 upgrade is dropping to $995.  With
an educational discount on top of that, maybe I'll get a faster machine
yet...
			-- Steve

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 11:46:26 CDT
From: DAVE@gergo.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: System 7 - Changing Icons for Special Folders (TIP)

(Also posted to SYS7-L@UAFSYSB.UARK.EDU):
If you have tried to paste in an icon for some of the System 7 special files,
you've no doubt found that you can't. One thing you can do (other than change
the ICN#/icl8 resources in the System) is to use ResEdit to Get Info on the
folder/file and check the "Use Color Icons" box. You still won't be able to
paste the icon into the Finder Get Info, but you can paste the icon onto a
different folder, then copy the invisible Icon file that is created inside to
the system-specific folder whose icon you want to change. An example of why
you would want to do this:
Using the Extensions Manager (which was written specifically to handle turning
on/off Sys7 extensions/cdevs/etc. from the various folders), it creates three
folders in the System folder - Extensions (disabled), Control Panels (disabled)
and System Extensions (disabled). They use the default folder icons, and you
cannot paste in new ones. I wanted them to use icons based upon the original
folders, only with a red 'X' through them. So I created the icl8's, pasted
them into regular folders, copied the Icon file from them to the appropriate
Extensions Manager folders, then used ResEdit to turn on the "Use Color Icons".
Now when I open my System folder, I know at a glance what those three folders
are, and what they might contain.
Hope this is a useful tip to someone. Someone asked for tips before they were
asked for by name. Well, here's one. I'm still looking, and I'll send in any
other little hints as I find them.
Dave Martin

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 91 18:49:41 GMT
From: Mitch Cherniack <mitch@cs.concordia.ca>
Subject: System 7 - Now What?

Sorry to ask an obvious question, but...

I've finally finished downloading all 8 image files from
apple.com, and "debinhexing" and unstuffing them.  Now
what?  What should be done with the "image" files?  Am
I missing an installer file?  Please help.

Mitch Cherniack

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 09:07 EDT
From: KARL WALDMAN <KWALDMAN@wash-vax.bbn.com>
Subject: system 7.0

	Well I downloaded system 7.0 from apple.com, and unbinhexed, and
unstuffed it (not exactly a speedy task), though putting on the system after
that took only 5 minutes.
	I think is was worthwhile for many of the same reasons already
mentioned however I do have some problems with it, perhaps someone could help
me out.

	1. Is it illegal for me to distribute to others here at work?
	2. There are some files that are too big to put on a 800k floppy
	   What can be done about this?
	3. Has NCSA Telnet put out an update yet, and when are they planning
	  to?

	That's all I found that I don't know how to solve, not bad for a major
system release.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 13:52:56 -0700
From: kretchma@hac2arpa.hac.com (Scott Kretchmar)
Subject: System 7 and color Icons

I figured out that you can "paste" the color icon onto the Get Info Icon and
it will show up on the desktop......

The question now is how do you get the same icon to show up in other programs?
Disktop still shows the generic "drive" icon not the new pasted one....
do I need a newer version......

Also how do I globally change a generic "folder" icon like I could with
SunDesk or IconColorizer????   Seems that the paste icon in the Get Info will
create an invisible file called "icon" inside the folder which holds the
current Icon picture.....
Is there a way to patch the New Folder command to also copy the invisible icon
file when it creates a new folder (besides duplicating an empty folder on the
desktop)....

Greg
gecko%spl0@hac2arpa.hac.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 20:32 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: Teleport Modem

Does anybody have any experience with the Teleport modem from Global Village?
How does the software recognize the modem? I think it has some INIT, right? Does
it require the Communications Toolbox?
If you have a Teleport modem, or if you have ever used one, please tell me about
me. I'll summarize to net.

What about internal modems for the SE? Does anybody know of any?

Thank you very much,
- Alberto Ricci                                 FRICCI@POLITO.IT

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 May 91 09:31:34 EDT
From: "The Moderator Kenneth R. van Wyk" <krvw%CERT.SEI.CMU.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: VIRUS-L Digest V4 #88

think this one belongs here...

Date:    Tue, 21 May 91 23:30:00 -0400
From:    kovar@eclectic.com

  I have established a mailing list for people interested in Macintosh
security. This can be used to:

        * Discuss existing security problems in various Macintosh applications.
        * Discuss security applications, hardware, and solutions.
        * Discuss potential problems and their solutions.
        * Announcements of new Macintosh viruses and virus control software.
          (Discussion of viruses in depth should be carried out on
          virus specific mailing lists.)
        * Just about anything else related to Macintosh security and
          access control.

  With the arrival of System 7.0 and it's wealth of information sharing
facilities, Macintosh security has entered a new era. Originally you
only had to worry about someone getting into your Macintosh via the
keyboard, or stealing it outright. Now it's much easier to browse
through information on someone else's Macintosh over the network.

  If you're interested in joining the list, please send a message to:

        mac-security-request@eclectic.com

  Contributions to the list should go to:

        mac-security@eclectic.com

  At present, the list is unmoderated and will immediately distribute
any incoming messages to the list. If conditions change, the list will
change to a moderated list, a digest, or some other form. Also, we can
look into making it a newsgroup at some point but I'd like to start it
in this form and see what develops.

  Please redistribute this message, particularly to whoever maintains
the list-of-lists since I can't figure out how to get onto that list,
or even where it is.

- -David C. Kovar
        Consultant                              ARPA: kovar@eclectic.com
        Eclectic Associates                     AppleLink: ECLECTIC
        Ma Bell: 617-643-3373                   MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

End of VIRUS-L Digest [Volume 4 Issue 88]

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 05:41:16 -0900
From: "AB J KUENZLI"  <FTAJK%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

    I am beta testing AfterDark 2.0u. If you have any comments or problems,
plese let me know. thanks.

End of Info-Mac Digest