info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 27 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 118

Today's Topics:

      [*] Core Wars Simulator
      [*] Isotope Calculator 1.6
      [*] Pictoid Utilities
      [*] PINS! v2.0 GIF
      [*] Pixel Flipper 1.3
      [*] Replacement for Robot Battle
      [*] SGIL "Fast Math Init" for Plus/SE
      [*] Shareware INIT to do printer tracking
      [*] Timetraveller.GIF
      [*] UUTool123.cpt.hqx
      boomerang ditto
      CD-ROM drives
      FileMaker Pro question
      HARD DISK POWER (2 msgs)
      How to reach Dynaware USA?
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #117
      Latest version of Kermit
      Mac FileSharing and Unix FileSharing
      MacIIsi Tuning (or Cache vs Color)
      Macintalk & Sys 7
      Nisus 3.05 Bug?
      Questions on AFE, True Type and AppleTalk PC
      Sys 7 + Plus + BLP II = ?
      System 7 - Now What?
      System 7 - questions/responses
      Teleport Modem
      Troff to Mac conversions...

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 16:23 CDT
From: PK6811S@acad.drake.edu
Subject: [*] Core Wars Simulator

Core Wars Simulator.  Core Wars was described in Scientific
American articles written by A.K. Dewdney a couple of
years ago.  Using a simple (but suprisingly powerful) command
language, you write fighter programs that try to kill each
other off.  Compressed with Stuffit.  Contains application,
manuals, and fighter programs from 1987, 88, and 89
official tournaments.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/core-wars-simulator.hqx; 232K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 09:09:36 CDT
From: allan@chem.nwu.edu (David Allan)
Subject: [*] Isotope Calculator 1.6

This program is useful for calculating the
mass spectral isotope pattern for a given
chemical formula, assuming natural
abundance for each of the elements.  This
version does not handle chemical formulae for
isotopically enriched species.  The program
was written by Les Arnold of the University of
Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.  Shareware,
$15. This is a binhexed compactor archive.

***If anyone knows how to contact Les Arnold or
the University of Waikato Department of
Chemistry, please respond to me via the net.
I'd like to ask him to add capability for
handling isotopically-enriched species.
Thanks.***

David Allan
Department of Chemistry
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL  60208

[Archived as /info-mac/app/isotope-calculator-16.hqx; 60K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 18:14:32 BST
From: Nigel Perry <np@doc.imperial.ac.uk>
Subject: [*] Pictoid Utilities

	This is HyperCard 2 stack containing three externals: (a)
idleCursor - which allows you to change the cursor HC uses for
idle/browse i.e. you can now make your cursor changes stick without HC
reseting it back to the hand (b) available() - which returns a list of
all available sounds, pictures, fonts, etc, etc. and (c) fontInfo() -
which returns details of the available bitmaps for a font, and whether
they are styled or plain. Also returns this info for TrueType fonts.

	This stack is called Pictoid Utilities as it is part of the
next release of Regions, now renamed Pictoids. Its early release was
prompted by a Usenet request for an XCMD like idleCursor. The stack is
copyright, free for personal use.  No commercial, profit-making or
shareware use without prior agreement with the author.

Enjoy!

	Nigel Perry np@doc.ic.ac.uk

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xcmd/pictoid-utilities.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 23:33:32 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: [*] PINS! v2.0 GIF

Greetings,

  Here is a spectacular 640x480x256 GIF image created by David Palermo.  I
downloaded it from America Online, and re-upload it here with his permission.
This makes a very cool desktop image for color Macs, although you'll need a
good graphics package (PhotoShop, for instace) to dither it to the System
palette, or one of the inits (Thor's?) that loads the deskpicture's palette.
David's description follows:

"Here is version 2.0 of PINS!.  This version is MUCH better than the other.
The pins are more realistic.  In case any of you are wondering what this is,
it is a representation of a book cover.  The book is called The RenderMan
Companion and has a computer-generated image of bowling pins and a bowling
ball on it.  I re-created it WITHOUT using RenderMan."

David can be reached at (619) 944-9907 or at SPACE7 on America Online.
--Mike

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/pins-20.hqx; 187K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 8:29:42 EDT
From: kenh@eclectic.com (Ken Hancock)
Subject: [*] Pixel Flipper 1.3

Silly me.  After reading a recent info-mac digest, G_WERNER@cc.brynmawr.edu
asked about easy ways of changing the color depth of monitors.  I
replied back to him and Jon (who had suggested Switch-a-Roo and DepthGuage)
recommending PixelFlipper.  Well, doesn't do much good since it isn't in
the archives.  So, to solve that problem...

Pixel Flipper 1.3 is a slick little cdev which gives a pop-up menu
when you click anywhere on the screen with modifier keys of your choice
of all the available monitor depths as well as a color/gray option.
It's tres nifty and only $10 shareware.  Compact Pro archive.  Enjoy!

Ken

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/pixel-flipper-13.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 16:18:19 -0400
From: "Tobish E Smith" <bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: [*] Replacement for Robot Battle

you program robots in a language similar to BASIC (called RIPPLE) and
then watch two robots fight it out to the death, using a variety of
weapons.  All the while, humans roam around the battlefield, throwing
grenades at lethargic robots and getting smooshed beneath huge metal
feet.

For those who downloaded the 1.02 version, here's a list of bug fixes/new
features in version 1.1:

1.  Resolution of the nasty bugs associated with 1.02.
2.  Separate b/w & color versions - smaller for b/w users, faster for color
    users (the color version is compiled for '020s or greater).  Only the
    b/w version is being posted to sumex, to allow for quicker downloads.
    If you're interested in the color version, write me e-mail and I'll
    send you a copy.
3.  Extensive improvements to the language.  The new language is backwards
    compatible with the current (1.02) version of RB, but has the following
    new features:
      a.  No spaces needed between arguments;  10letb=c/d  is a perfectly
          valid line of code now
      b.  No carriage return is needed after the last line of a robot
          program.  This is a small fix, but caused a lot of confusion
      c.  Users can create their own variables now.  In addition to still
          having the ever-lovable A through Z variables, you can now have
          lines such as "Harriet = George * 2".  This makes for easier-to-read
          robot code.  Up to 200 variables can be declared per robot.
      d.  For/next loops.  By popular demand, these have been implemented.
          For/next loops can be nested up to 75 levels deep.
      e.  User-definable arrays.  A line like "Dimension SomeArray(75)" will
          create a 75-element array.  You can then have lines like
          "SomeArray(12)=SomeArray(5) / 6".
      f.  Optional line numbers.  Lines numbers are only needed as labels
          now.  An example of a completely valid RB v1.1 robot:

          Equip 1 0 0 0 0 400

          For loop=1 to 36
            swivel 10
            zap
          next

          20 turn 1
             goto 20

          So, as you can see, line numbers are only needed on lines that you
          want to branch to.

4.  Shield weighting.  This allows you to distribute energy to your eight
    shields as you see fit.
5.  All the weapons are now available for use in this version.  However,
    only the lasers do damage.  This allows users to get a feel for the
    full game by seeing how the entire system acts.
6.  Miscellaneous bug fixes.
7.  Snazzy new intro theme.

Tob & Chuck
Blue Cow Software
bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/game/robot-battle-11.hqx; 400K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 14:24:57 EDT
From: Scott Barvian <barvian@dart.ece.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] SGIL "Fast Math Init" for Plus/SE

The SGIL company of France has provided a shareware INIT which
replaces the SANE calls in your Macintosh with a faster mathematics
library.  It performs all calculations in REAL*4 precision (32 bits
instead of SANE's 80 bits) which results in a nice speed improvement
for FORTRAN applications running on an SE or Plus without the floating
point co-processor.  The Whetstone benchmark improves by a factor
of 2.2 on an SE.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/sgil-fast-math.hqx; 42K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 00:20:31 EDT
From: kovar@eclectic.com (David C. Kovar)
Subject: [*] Shareware INIT to do printer tracking

  This is an INIT that keeps track of printing on an individual
Macintosh. Each time a job is sent to a printer, this INIT writes
the following information to a file called "PrintTrack Log" in the
System Folder:

Name, Date, Time, Number of Pages, Type of Printer Used, Filename

The file is a straight ASCII file with tabs for delimiters, so
you can import it into just about anything you want. This isn't
overly useful for charging people because the name recorded is
just the user name.

This INIT *is* Shareware. We ask that you send us a check for $20
if you decide to use it. If you want to license it for a number of
Macintoshes, please give us a call and we can work something out.
Your Shareware fee will entitle you to free upgrades (or at cost
upgrades if we have to ship out a disk).

If you have any comments or suggestions, or you are interested in more
secure solutions, please send mail to info@eclectic.com or call
Eclectic Associates, Inc.  at 617-643-3373.

Enjoy!

-David Kovar

[Archived as /info-mac/init/printer-tracking.hqx; 81K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 23:31:42 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: [*] Timetraveller.GIF

Greetings,

  Attached is a spectacular 640x480x256 GIF image by David Palermo.  It's a
surrealistic rendering of a sort of "cosmic wristwatch" on a marble surface.
It's very hard to describe, but it's visually stunning, and makes a superb
desktop image.  I downloaded it from America Online and re-upload it here with
his permission.  David's description follows:

"This image is of a woman (my friend's wife) sitting inside a time piece
looking out into space which is inside the time piece.  Does that make sense?
I guess you will have to see it to understand."

Please note that the correct title is "Timetraveller".  It may have been
truncated somewhere along the way...

David can be reached at (619) 944-9907 or at Space7 on America Online.
--Mike

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/time-traveller.hqx; 149K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 10:57:11 MDT
From: wieser@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser)
Subject: [*] UUTool123.cpt.hqx

Greetings Netters;

Here is a bug fix release of UUTool.  UUTool does uu**coding, but
has some special features to allow for Macintoshness and internet
mailers which don't like white space.  UUTool 1.2.3 should work
on 68000 machines now.  There was a bug in the prefs. dialogue.

It should replace /util/uutool12 in the sumex archives.

Bernie

[Archived as /info-mac/util/uutool-123.hqx; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 11:43 EDT
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: boomerang ditto

Just want to echo James Davis'
lament in the last info-mac about boomerang
not working under system 7. It doesn't surprise me
but it maketh me to weep: it was more important and
valuable to me than any other init, and I probably
won't actually do a full switch over into system 7
if no substitute is forthcoming... :-( matt

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 12:12:36 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CD-ROM drives

On Fri, 24 May 1991 15:41 CDT you said:
>2. Can the CD-ROM drive be connected to the network and accessed
>that way instead of available only to the mac it is   connected to??

The CD-ROM drive can be connected to the network but until the new
release of AppleShare comes out you'll have to *reboot the network* :-(
everytime you want to change disks in the drive <bummer!>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1991 17:18:00 +0200
Subject: FileMaker Pro question

Hi again,
I have a question on FileMaker Pro...
I have 670 records in my database. Each record has a field "Data Number". It is
actually numbered 1, 2, ..., 669, 670. I want them to be numbered in a
different way, with a step for example (5, 10, 15, ..., 1015, 1020, ..). Is
it possible to AUTOMATICALY renumber each record ?

Thanks for the help, and remember: don't worry, be Apple !

Sincerely,

Steve Jordi, Dpt of Geophysics, Uni Geneva, Switzerland -> jordi@sc2a.unige.ch

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 91   17:42 EDT
From: FAC1893%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: HARD DISK POWER

      I currently have a 40MB Quantum internal hard disk in an original
Mac II. I wanted to add another INTERNAL 105MB Quantum hard disk.
However, I have talked to 2 vendors and one says no problem, the other
says absolutely not, you'll exceed Apple's power requirements.
      On the side of the Mac II power supply I can see the following
power output limits:           Voltage      Amp
                         V1      +5         18.0
                         V2     +12          2.5
                         V3     -12          1.0
Can I add the additional Quantum drive or do I need to buy an external
105MB or a case, power supply, etc. for the 40MB? If I need to buy
an external case does anyone have a suggested supplier?
      Thanks for your help. I'd rather not fry my motherboard!

   Gary Pawlas     fac1893@uof01.utoledo.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 08:45 EST
From: GRX0107@uoft02.utoledo.edu

    I currently have a 40MB Quantum niternal hard disk in an original
Mac II with an Apple video card. I wanted to add another INTERNAL
105MB Quantum hard disk. However, I have talked to 2 vendors and one says
no problem, the other says absolutely not, you'll exceed Apple's power
requirements. Neither vendor could support their claims with data.
    On the side of the Mac II power supply I can see the following
power limits:                 Voltage      Amp
                        V1      +5         18.0
                        V2      +12         2.5
                        V3      -12         1.0
Can I add the additional Quantum drive or do I need to
  1) Buy an external 105MB  or,
  2) Buy an external case, power supply, etc. for the 40MB?
If I need to buy an external case does anyone have a suggested supplier?
    Thanks for your help. I'd rather not fry my motherboard or power
supply!
  Gary Pawlas    grx0107@uofto02.utoledo.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 23:12 -0300
From: "Michael B. LeBlanc" <MLEBLANC@ac.dal.ca>
Subject: How to reach Dynaware USA?

Help!
Does anybody know how to get email to Dynaware USA,
makers of DynaPerspective?  I'm a registered user.

Their 800 phone number does not work from Canada, and their
AppleLink addresss (X1183) is incorrect-- my message got
bounced back from the AppleLink gateway.  I have tried
their FAX number, but they have not responded by FAX.

          Michael LeBlanc
          Nova Scotia College of Art and Design

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 91 10:09:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.eeel.nist.gov>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #117

I want to get the system 7 stuff from ftp.apple.com. I can raise them over
the net, but what is the username and password that I need to use???

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 18:52:58 EDT
From: "Charles A. Patrick" <PATCHAS@vm.nrc.ca>
Subject: Latest version of Kermit

I would like to know what is the latest version of Mac Kermit available, and
where. The "best" I can find is 98(63).

Thank you all in advance!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 16:20:03 CDT
From: jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu (Jeff Wolman)
Subject: Mac FileSharing and Unix FileSharing

Hello to all those out in Netland!

	I have got a complicated question about Macs and Unix (Sun's) sharing
	files.  At Washington University, the engineering subnet will be going
	to be expanding into three separate, smaller subnets.  On one of these
	subnets will be the Macintosh lab that I manage, an IIcx AppleShare
	server connected to 15 Mac SE's and 5 Mac +'s thru AppleTalk.  The
	plan is to connect this AppleShare network to the CISCO subnet via
	a GatorBox CS.

	The question I have:  Is there a way that a Unix machine (a Sun) to
	connect to the Mac as a client (sort of reverse GatorShare (Macs
	mounting Unix volumes)) so it can make a mirror copy of the Mac
	server's hard disk?  The main reason that we want to do this is to
	set up this "mirror" so that if the AppleShare server goes down,
	the "mirror" could substitute itself for the AppleShare server (an
	AUFS volume, I assume).

	Does anyone have experience in Mac to Unix filesharing, especially
	with regards to copying between the two platforms?  Would CAP be
	required for the "mirror" on the Unix side?  Basically, any help
	would be good, as I am somewhat unfamiliar in this area.  Please
	send your replies to:

			jdw4374@cec2.wustl.edu
				or
			dale@cec1.wustl.edu (my supervisor in this endeavor)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 12:13:42 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacIIsi Tuning (or Cache vs Color)

On Fri, 24 May 91 15:27:20 CDT you said:
>Kurt Behnke discovered an interest 'tuning' trick.
>
>Kurt writes ...
>>   The explanation is that the video RAM sits in the 1 M RAM bank A
>> (fixed on the board), that is very busy (the more colours the busier).
>> Hence access to this part of memory is very slow.
>>   The solution is actually very easy: Ajust the RAM CACHE to
>> 768 K. As a consequence bank A is all video and RAM cache. Then
>> the performance with 256 colours is (almost) as good as in Black
>> and White.
>>   Regards,
>>        Kurt Behnke

I tried that trick on my IIci, but Speedometer says there's no change in
the performance.  Since the IIci and IIsi video are twins, I'm not so
sure that Kurt's idea isn't just theory.  Depth gauge (a cdev I got from
the info-mac archives) does permit painless switching from B&W to color,
and Speedometer confirms that performance is enhanced.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1991 10:28 CDT
From: EWINGRA@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Macintalk & Sys 7

The last I heard from Apple on this subject is that Macintalk 1.31 has
not been officially supported in some time.  However, it has been patched
to work recently with various versions of the system software and
was originally not guarenteed to work with System 7.  However, it still
manages to work, although Apple refuses to say for how long after this
revision of System 7.

All this trouble is not because Apple doesn't care about speech synthesis
on the mac; far from it.  Unfortuntely, Apple has little control over
the situation because Apple does not own the source code to Macintalk.
Apple commissioned two sound engineers who were responsible for SAM, the
software automatic mouth product on the Apple II to write Macintalk back
in 1983.  But these two guys wanted far too much money for the source code
and Apple refused to buy it.  As a result, Macintalk was never improved
on the Mac product, and all that Apple could do was literally hack directly
on the machine language code in order to solve compatibility problems
that would arise with the introduction of the Mac II family, and various
systen software upgrades.  As for Macintalk, the product was eventually
ported to the PC by a friend of mine for a Fujitsu (I think) product
back some years ago, and not much has happened to it since.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 91 21:49 -0500
From: "C.M. Cho" <ccho@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: Nisus 3.05 Bug?

Many, many thanks to all those who sent their opinions about
whether to buy Syst 7.0!

Now, regarding Nisus: I have a bit of a problem with the layout
feature. At the top the positions of the margins are indicated in
inches. On the LC (with 12" monitor) the numbers look normal;
however, on the si with 13" monitor the numbers look as if they've
been selected from a font that is the worng size; some zero's are
scrunched and of irregular thickness, etc, just as if they're
something like 13 pt. Has anyone else seen this? In galley or page
format the type is okay, so what gives there?

All in all, Nisus is a *very* good program. It leaves Word 4.0
eating day-old dust.

Thanks in advance!   (Disclaimers, disclaimers.)

Connie K. Cho

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1991 16:57:00 +0200
Subject: Questions on AFE, True Type and AppleTalk PC

Hi Netters...
I have 3 questions:

1) In Apple File Exchange, it is possible to save custom options. But I would
   like to know if it is possible to save one as a default one? I'm tired to
   load my option file (and search the correct place where it is) each time
   I run AFE.

2) I will receive a Style Writer printer soon. I have a question about True
   Type.
   I will certainly prepare several documents at home on my Mac, and print them
   on the StyleWriter. But, I also will take my files to my university to print
   them on the LaserWriter. So what's up with my True Type fonts ? Does the
   LaserWriter accept them ? Do the applications convert True Type into
   PostScript fonts in order to print them in a correct way ?
   I know that the Style Writer is compatible with PostScript documents (I have
   seen a FreeHand document with a lot of PostScript effects, and 5 PostScript
   fonts - Garamond, Univers, Avant-Garde, Palatino and ZapfDingbats - printed
   on the StyleWriter, and it was correct !!!). But will it be the same from
   StyleWriter to LaserWriter ?

3) I have connected my PC to the AppleTalk network of my dpt. I can print
   documents from Windows 3 without any problem. But I can only print a
   Word (dos word, not word for windows) document once on the Laser Writer.
   If I want to print another documents from Word, I have to reboot the
   printer !!!
   Did anybody here already have the same problem ? If yes, how can I fix it ?

I thank you for any help. I will forward answers to info-mac later.

And don't forget: don't worry, be Apple !

Date: Fri, 24 May 91 23:46:43 PDT
From: msimpson@alfred.teknowledge.com (Mike Simpson)
Subject: Sys 7 + Plus + BLP II = ?

	Hi! I've just upgraded a Plus and a Classic to 7.0.  They
	are networked together along with a GCC BLP II laser
	printer.  Both machines have 4 megs of RAM; the Plus has a
	20mHz Gemini 68030/68882 accelerator.

	The problem I have concerns printing from the Plus.  I can
	print from the Classic flawlessly, but the Plus doesn't
	"see" out onto the network under 7.0.  I tried booting the
	system with an old 6.0.7 disk, and it worked fine.

	I tried removing the entire System Folder and having the
	Installer work on a clean volume - no luck.  (The Plus is
	hooked up to a Cirrus 80-meg drive, with SilverLining 5.27.
	Before I get howls of protest about that version, the
	Classic is running 5.27 on its drive, with no trouble.)

	I'm stumped.  Can anyone help me?

	Mike Simpson

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 15:41:36 GMT
From: burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill)
Subject: System 7 - Now What?

In digest <9105250641.AA20678@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>Sorry to ask an obvious question, but...

>I've finally finished downloading all 8 image files from
>apple.com, and "debinhexing" and unstuffing them.  Now
>what?  What should be done with the "image" files?  Am
>I missing an installer file?  Please help.

You also need to download disk copy 4.2.  This program will load the
disk image into memory, then let you copy the image to an 800K or
1.4Mb disk.  Remember to lock the instller1 disk before (repeat) before
you ever insert it into a maintosh computer.  The installer1 disk has
a system with no finder, inserting it into a mac will "unbless" the
system if it is not locked - useless installer..

Charles

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 1991 20:12 CDT
From: Stark Raving <TRIMPERG@lawrence.edu>
Subject: System 7 - questions/responses

run at startup, John Gastineau (Gastinej@Lawrence) informs me
that you simply drag an alias to whatever you want to run at
startup into the Startup Items Folder in the System Folder.
Duh.  Okay, so my brain was not working when I wrote
that message.

2. I forgot who said it, but I think that it is a BAD idea
for people to restrain themselves from commenting on what they
like/dislike.have problems with/find cute with System7.
How else are we going to get this information?  Everybody
sends everybody personal Email?  I think not.

3. RSAUNDERS@hssi.dnet.hac.com writes:

>Although 13MB is greater than 8MB, it is not enough...

How true.  The reason that I put 8MBs in my SE/30 was so that
I would have enough RAM for my tasks.  Giving up 12MB's of disk
space for a measly 4Mbs extra RAM hardly seems worth it,
especially with the perfomance loss.  When I bought my
SE/30 last year, the spec sheet said "Able to access up
to 128Mbs of RAM when Higher Density DRAMS become
available."  Thanks to my ROMS, I am stuck at 8 physical
12 virtual (color card + interanl vid = -2MB).  Maybe
all the SE/30 users should get together and sue Apple
for false advertising.   Maybe Apple should make ggod on this
spec by providing us with clean ROMS.  The SE/30 is perhaps
one of the best machines, as far as overall functionality
goes, that APple has ever made.  Now that they are
emphasizing 32-bit cleanliness, they should make the
SE/30 match that emphasis.

>1) Kill zoom boxes.
>2) Complete templates for Finder resources.
>3) Make the defalt for copy floppy to hard disk be "Doit" not "Cancel".

Very good suggestions, especiall 1) and 3).  It is silly that
someone though that a user would UNINTENTIONALLY  draf a floppy
icon onto a HD icon, and I hate the useless zoom boxes.

Also, I sure wish that I could get rid of that
balloon.

4. burton@cs.sfu.ca writes:

>1.  Does anybody know how to print postscript files?

Dragging the ps document on top of the
laserwriter driver should print it correctly.

5. Suitcases.

Now that the Font/DA mover is no longer needed,
how does one easily create a Suitcase file in
which to keep fonts and DA's?  Why would I want
to do this?  Simple.  Suitcase II.  I like to have
one suitcase with "DA's", one with "Font's", and
one with "FKey's and Sounds".  How do I createthme
now under Systme 7? (probably very obvious, but this
does not appear to be intuitive to me.)

Thanks,
Greg Trimper - wow@look.at.the.pretty.stars.  Col Dis'claimin'

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1991 19:06 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: Teleport Modem

Does anybody have any experience with the Teleport modem from Global Village?
How does the software recognize the modem? I think it has some INIT, right? Does
it require the Communications Toolbox?
If you have a Teleport modem, or if you have ever used one, please tell me
about it. I'll summarize to net.

What about internal modems for the SE? Does anybody know of any?

Thank you very much,
- Alberto Ricci                                 FRICCI@POLITO.IT

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 91 15:24:36 EDT (Sat)
From: tbc@spao.ao.gov (Tom Cleaveland)
Subject: Troff to Mac conversions...

This is probably a longshot question, but does anybody know if there's a
troff to Microsoft Word (or MacWrite) converter out there that can be used
with Apple File Exchange?  It's a real pain in the butt to try and format
troff stuff manually.

Also, has Apple said when they'll start bundling System 7 with their
equipment?

Please respond directly, as I do not subscribe to this list.

Thanks in advance.
Tom Cleaveland
tbc@spao.ao.gov

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 15:21:09 -0400
From: knighton@oswego.oswego.edu (Robert Knighton)

Hi-
	The subject says it all.  We have several Macs on the ethernet at
our school, and need to have them use our Sun 4/280 news server for the source.
I know that there is a UUCP news reader out there, but we really need an NNTP
one.

	Please E-mail and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks

End of Info-Mac Digest