info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 27 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 119

Today's Topics:

      4-bit color problems in System 7
      7 gets you 9.
      :Mac SE 30 as X windows terminal
      Diskcopy
      Drafting/Blueprinting Applications
      Mach 2 Forth
      MacTCP under System 7 ~works
      memory upgrade SE/30
      Message in SFDialog box
      Microsoft Word and home brew print drivers
      OCR Software
      Opening Documents Created by a DA--Understudy
      OrangeMicro's 286/286 PC/AT's In A Mac II
      Pagemaker and Word 4.0
      Problem with System 7
      Res-Edit 2.1 breaking under system 7.0?
      SE/30 Sounds
      SendPS & 7.0
      Spanish Telecommunications
      superclock screws up Xpres???
      switching between sys6-7 (desktop rebuild)
      System 7 - Changing Default Folder/Document Icons
      System 7 PICT Utilities package questions...
      Towards a better doc format...

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: 27 May 91 13:29:00 PST
From: "TOM MUCCIARO" <mucciaro@bogart.stanford.edu>
Subject: 4-bit color problems in System 7

Greg Trimper recently reported 4-bit color problems in System 7
when the highlight color is Green.  I actually am having 4-bit color
problems in any highlight color.

Background: Mac IIcx, 5 MB ram, Apple 8/24 color card, Apple 13 inch
		RGB monitor.  System 7, with Macsbug, Superclock 3.9,
		and Disinfectant 2.4 inits.

Symptom:  In 256 color mode the icl8 icons in the finder display
	properly, as well as the Apple icon in the menu bar.  When
	I switch to 16 color mode using the Monitors cDev, the
	colors change properly UNTIL I CLOSE THE CDEV WINDOW.  Then
	I lose all the icl4 colors, and also the Apple icon in the
	menu bar turns black.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

By the way, I like System 7 a lot, but I do miss two "features" of
the old finder:

	1. Title bar click.  This is much more convenient and faster
	than the drop menus.  Also, it only uses one hand.

	2.  Adjustable icon spacing.  The default values in the icon
	grid are just too small, and my file names collide.

Does anyone know a way to change the spacing of the icon grid?

Thanks,

Tom Mucciaro (mucciaro@bogart.stanford.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 10:12 EDT
From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK@fuji.ila.com>
Subject: 7 gets you 9.

    Date: Wed, 22 May 91 17:49:01 CDT
    From: milton@niven.cc.umanitoba.ca (Dave Milton)
    Subject: 7 is not your lucky number: Look and Feel
    > Alas, I was mistaken.  Although almost all my programs work just fine, my
    > experience with the "System" has been negative.  I have 8MB of RAM, so I
    > can't really get much out of VM because my machine has dirty-ROMs.  The other
    What do you mean? You can have VM on that machine, just not giga-bytes of it!

Not if you use your NuBus!  For example, I have 5 NuBus cards.  I can
only have 9 Mb of virtual memory.  Whoop-de-doo, BFD.

Irony of ironies, one of the boards is a 16MB nubus memory card,
used by a co-processor.

32-bit dirty ROM's can ONLY be regarded as a very serious bug.
It is SO STUPID that it cannot even remotely be considered a
"design limitation".  (I'm being charitable in my description;
the alternative is to regard it as malicious bait-and-switch
to sell more machines at a later date).

The Mac was sold as supporting virtual memory.  It was not
sold as supporting piddling amounts of virtual memory, UNLESS
you use the Nubus, in which case, sorry, charlie!

So users get screwed, since they can't run the software they
expected to be able to run.  Developers get screwed, because
the market they expected to be able to sell large applications
into isn't as large as it appeared.  And Apple gets screwed,
because the software won't appear that otherwise would, so
large applications will remain on platforms which are friendlier
to large applications, like Unix, OS/2, and even WINDOWS.

A nice UI that won't run your software isn't so nice after all.

Since Apple refuses to redress its error, our only hope is that
Connectix provides an adaquate solution.  Does anyone have any
System 7-relevant data on this?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 12:53 PST
From: "Mike McNeil, BBN San Diego, (619) 224-3240" <MMCNEIL@sd-vax.bbn.com>
Subject: :Mac SE 30 as X windows terminal

Apple MacX works very nicely, not sure the individual cost. It now
comes bundled with AUX v2.0.1. I believe it was $150 before.

_____^_____
    0-0
    (_)+

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 91 21:39:04 -0400
From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)
Subject: Diskcopy

When you download System 7.0 files from ftp.apple.com, you also need to
download Diskcopy if you don't already have it. It is under /dts/utils.
After you unbinhex and unstuff the System 7.0 files downloaded from
ftp.apple.com, you need Diskcopy to convert the resulting .image files to
files you can handle.

Chou

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 91 13:09:19 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Drafting/Blueprinting Applications

I was wondering if there were any PDS, FreeWare, or fairly cheap applications
that help in the creation of blueprints or drafting?  I would like to be able
to perform the following functions:

1)  The capability to size my drawings.  By this I mean to be able to scale
    the various pieces.  If I am creating a blueprint of my house, I want to
    be able to tell the application how long a wall is and have the application
    scale it for me.
2)  The capability to control angles.
3)  I want to be able to create an object and duplicate that object in various
    parts of the drawing.
4)  The reduction and enlarging of drawings, or pieces of drawings, would be
    a nice feature.
5)  The ability to zoom into a section of my drawing and add detail would also
    be of benefit.

I am sure that there are other features that would be of help that I haven't
thought of.  If anyone can help me find an application that can do all or some
of these functions, I would greatly appreciate it!  Does anyone know of a list
that deals with this subject?  Thanks for all the help! ! !

Stephen L. Greenfield
Bitnet:    FEATS@VTVM1
Internet:  feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 91 20:49:50 PDT
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Mach 2 Forth

Does anyone have any idea why Mach 2 Forth does not work correctly under
System 7?  It gives a strange message of "Font missing".

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 15:30:54 EDT
From: H_DOLBEN@unhrcc.unh.edu
Subject: MacTCP under System 7 ~works

This is a summary of responses to the question:  "Can MacTCP 1.0.x be used with
System 7?"

0.  MacTCP 1.0.x is listed by the Compatibility Checker as "Must upgrade" to
version 1.1, which is supposed to be released in June.  Obviously, any use of
MacTCP 1.0.x is not supported and "any attempt to get ... anyone ... at Apple
to fix any bugs ... will be met with derision."  The AdminTCP cdev is broken.

1.  MacTCP has been used successfully under System 7 without apparent problems
by some.  The following may or may not work for you.

2.  Put MacTCP in the System folder and an alias for it in the Control Panels
folder.

3.  Do not use it with Virtual Memory on.

4.  This works when the LAP is set to Ethernet so that the Macintosh does
TCP/IP directly, but not when using a DDP/IP gateway via Ethernet.

5.  The previous problem may be solved by copying the .ENET driver from your
system 6.0.x to your system 7.0.

6.  One person mentioned that MacX did not work with his setup.

Thanks to the following people for their responses:

	Alan Mimms	abm@oxydol.aux.apple.com
	Mark Scherfling	mrs2%harvey@gte.com
	Hobbes		rhz@cwns4.ins.cwru.edu

Regards,
Hank Dolben, SSC/SERB, Univ. of NH, Durham, NH 03824, 603-862-1391

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 13:13 N
From: BPVZELLE%HLERUL52.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: memory upgrade SE/30

I want to upgrade the RAM memory of my SE/30 from 2 to 5 Mb. I have
4 1M Simms to replace 4 256K Simms, but I need an instruction on
how to do that. The book "Macintosh repair and upgrade secrets" does
not contain info about the SE/30. Does anyone know a source to find
the "How to upgrade?"
Thnaks,
Bauke Zelle.
BITNET-address: BPVZELLE@HLERUL52

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 91 08:50:00 EDT
From: RBUTT@bnr.ca (Richard R.A. Butt :Dept 4N23)
Subject: Message in SFDialog box

re: Bill Pearson's inquiry about losing message dialog above
    the SFDialog box:

  I'm not sure why the extra dialog above the SFDialog was dimmed out
under O/S 7. Why not try putting your text directly into the SFDialog
box using a SFPDialog call? Looks better anyway. Sample code below:

  promptStr := 'Sample prompt string goes here';
  SFPGetFile(someLocn, promptStr, NIL, 1, fileList, NIL, fileInfo, dlogID, NIL)
;

  In your resource file include the following:

  Resource 'DLOG' (302)
    {{0,0,220,348}, DBoxProc, InVisible, NoGoAway, 302,302,""};
  Resource 'DITL' (302)
    {{{163,256,181,336}, Button {Enabled, "Open"};
      {  0,571,105,589}, Button {Disabled, "Hidden"};
      {188,256,206,336}, Button {Enabled, "Cancel"};
      { 64,232, 84,347}, UserItem {Disabled};
      { 93,256,111,336}, Button {Enabled, "Eject"};
      {118,256,136,336}, Button {Enabled, "Drive"};
      { 64, 12,210,246}, UserItem {Enabled};
      { 64,229,210,246}, UserItem {Enabled};
      {149,252,150,340}, UserItem {Disabled};
      {  3, 12, 38,298}, StaticText {Disabled, ""}}};

  That simulates the standard dialog box with your prompt message
inserted. I believe that should work OK under O/S 7.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 20:36:02 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnala.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts)
Subject: Microsoft Word and home brew print drivers

Hi y'all,
  Ok -- I have written a print driver, like Raoult's PrintToPict (appeared on
the net a few days ago).  It works with lots of programs: Think C 4.0.5.,
PageMaker 3, HyperCard, the Finder (sys 7).  But not Microsoft Word 4!  I look
at the file and it does have data in it (a couple of K -- too much to account
for the pict header).  I tried to import it into the clip board and then to
MacPaint -- but no!  I just get a blank!  Any ideas?  Does Word print with PICT
comments?  Grrrr!

	Thanks,
Gordon Watts
BITNET: watts@uorhep
INET: "URHEP::WATTS"@fnala.fnal.gov

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 16:03:14 EDT
From: "Charles A. Patrick" <PATCHAS@vm.nrc.ca>
Subject: OCR Software

I am an occasional user of ThunderScan, and have from time to time toyed with
the idea of acquiring an OCR package. However the sporadicalness of my use
of ThunderScan makes putting out $500 somewhat less than cost effective!

Temptation, in the form of a special offer from Olduvai, has just raised its
ugly head yet once again. The offer, good until July 31, is to take READ-IT!
v 2.0(?) for a mere $187. At this price the balance swings somewhat. Only
somewhat because READ-IT!, in its original incarnation, was definitely of the
first generation, and presumably has been superceded, in theory, by more
recent offerings. But still, it is teachable, and with a sufficiently large
user base and, at least potentially, a commensurably rich supply of font
tables .........

Would experienced OCR users allow me the benefit of their acquired wisdom?
especially those with experience with READ-IT!

Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: 26 May 91 13:41:57 EDT
From: Ryan Rempel <72570.1476@compuserve.com>
Subject: Opening Documents Created by a DA--Understudy

THE PROBLEM

I have a number of Desk Accesories which create and open particular kinds of
documents. Under System 7, each DA has its own file, and can have its own
creator signature (though upon conversion from system 6.0.x it is initially
'movr'). I was hoping that if I changed the creator of the DA itself to the
creator of the documents it created, then the two would be associated in such a
way that double-clicking on the document would open the DA. This would be an
added convenience for me.

WHAT I TRIED

However, it did not work. The documents in question had a creator of 'Dpnt', so
I changed the creator of the DA to 'Dpnt', added the appropriate 'BNDL' resource
to the DA, checked the bundle bit, and rebuilt the desktop. The icons I had
added with the 'BNDL' resource showed up in the finder, but double-clicking on
the document produced the same message as before, that the application file
could not be found. My hunch was that while the creator signatures where the
same, the finder was looking for a creator of type 'APPL' rather than 'dfil',
which is the type for a DA. So I changed the DA's type to 'APPL', which allowed
me to open it by double-clicking the document, but of course produced a system
error because a DA is not really an 'APPL'.

I then tried the Understudy extension to see whether it would help, but it also
seems to only want to deal with 'APPL' file types.

IS THERE A SOLUTION?

Does anyone know of a way in which to open documents created by a DA by
double-clicking on them? It seems to me that it ought to be possible now that
DA's can have individual creator signatures. Is anyone interested in writing an
extension to do this? Is there some technical reason unbeknownst to me that this
is impossible?

Please reply direct to me (as well as the net if it is of general interest) as I
do not usually have access to the digest.

--Ryan Rempel
  72570.1476@compuserve.com

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 91 09:29:10 GMT
From: steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell)
Subject: OrangeMicro's 286/286 PC/AT's In A Mac II

	Does anyone own one of these cards. Or know of anyone that does
(Or even knows were one might be for sale, as you cannot get them here
in Australia that I know of)

I need info about it, like, whats it do, how it does it. Is it 100%
compatible. can it simulate VGA etc.

thanks

steveh

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 10:14:46 EDT
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Pagemaker and Word 4.0

MY school has Pagemaker 4.0 and Word 4.0.  I have begun to use it to
write tests in Word, and then format them for printing in Pagemaker
(PM).  I usually scan images into my documents so PM is really handy,
and Word is not in this regard.

Now, here's the question:  Whenever I import the Word document into PM
the margins print funny.  When I set up the page in PM I use *exactly*
the same margins as I did in Word, but when the doc prints in PM it
comes out with bigger margins that I had formatted.  For example, I
use 1.25 as the left margin in word, and in PM when it printed it was
1.5!  Whats going on here?

I notice that the margins screw up in other instances too.  I used a
line on periods .........  to make a separation between sections.  It
exactly fit in Word.  When it was imnported to PM it wrapped!

BTW, I have an SE, 2.5/40, and I usually print on a DeskWriter,
although sometimes I print on the school's laser.

Help!

Kieran O'Connor

Bitnet:  IOCONNOR@SUNRISE         Internet: IOCONNOR@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 06:50 EST
From: B_DOHERTY@cc.brynmawr.edu
Subject: Problem with System 7

Hello,

I've never posted here before, so I hope it works. I just got system 7 all
downloaded and installed on my hard disk. There is a problem.

I have an SE w/ 2.5 megs of ram and a 45 megabyte Jasmine (pre-bankruptcy) hard
disk. I have installed absolutely no special software, thought I should try a
clean system first. I do have my hard disk partitioned so that I can keep
system 6.05 around easily so I can switch back and forth. Or  so I hoped.

Turns out I can not start up with system 7. It worked once (but even then
failed to allow access to all my ram, strangely enough) but now it will not
start up at all.

I'm suspicious about the driver, as it is old and the compatibility checker had
no information on it. I've heard that I shouldn't use Apple's set-up program
on a Jasmine. I don't know enough to know if this is likely the problem (the
hard disk driver that is), but would appreciate any information anyone could
provide.

What happens is: everything goes fine, happy mac, welcome to mac etc
                 the new "rebuilding desktop" dialog comes up
                 it begins to fill in its graphic
                 the hard disk gets accessed, light comes on
                 light stays on forever, mac is hung (i.e. no moving cursor w
                   mouse)

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Brian (B_Doherty@cc.brynmawr.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 09:20 EDT
From: NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu
Subject: Res-Edit 2.1 breaking under system 7.0?

Is anyone else having the problem I am having with ResEdit under system 7?
When you go to change a resource number (having called for Get Resource
Info), the typing of a new number causes a crash.

This is on an LC. The same was true under 6.0.7 on this LC, but I found
(and promulgated over this net) a workaround. Now I seem to have no
workaround. Am I going to have to switch back to system 6 every time
I want to use ResEdit?

matt = neuburg@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 14:43 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: SE/30 Sounds

In IM V9, #115, John Venable writes:
> Every so often, I boot my SE/30 (System 6.0.7, 8mb RAM) and, instead of the
> happy Mac, the screen is gray and the computer is emitting sounds!
Specifically
> it repeats a cycle consisting of a minor chord followed by a major

It is a defective SIMM, or one is not installed properly.
Perhaps you should try to clean the contacts...

Hope this helps,
- Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 13:53:30 GMT
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: SendPS & 7.0

In Info-mac digests v9 no 116, Warren Burton writes

> SendPS doesn't work under System 7.  (Similarly, OzTeX can't print.  For
> me this is the real problem.))
>
> 1.  Does anybody know how to print postscript files?

Put the LaserWriter file at the top level of the System file, and an alias to
it in the "Extensions" folder (so that the Chooser can find it). Older programs
like SendPS don't know about the new "Extensions" folder.

NB You don't have to move the LaserPrep file (OzTeX etc don't use it; they
just need the PDEF 10 resource from the LW file).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 14:36:02 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: Spanish Telecommunications

Don't worry! It's not a Mac virus, but a PC one. Look into PC forums if you
are interested, or send me a message.

-- JM

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 91 16:49:36 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: superclock screws up Xpres???

On Sun, 26 May 91 13:02:37 -0500 you said:
>My superclock is fast--it gains about a minute a month. Has anybody else
>experienced that? Is there some simple way of correcting this?

There are two possibilities depending upon your willingness to pay for
a small amount of long distance or whether you have an accurate clock
locally to refer to.

There is a cdev in the info-net archives called Clock Adjust which will
keep your System clock on time AND automagically "Spring forward" and
"Fall back" on the appropriate dates.  You set the clock once, then
"adjust it" again a couple of weeks later, then again in another couple
of months. If the clock you use to do the setting and adjusting is accurate,
you'll have your Mac's clock accurate to within a second or two a year in
no time (or in about six month's time if you're a literalist :-)

The other option is the SetClock utility (also in the archives).  It dials
the phone number of the national time standard and PRECISELY sets your
system clock (to within about 2/10 sec of the national time standard).
Alas, clock adjust doesn't pick up the external adjustment made by SetClock;
so if you use the utility, you have to call up periodically to keep the
clock on time (or make a reasonable guess about how far the clock must be
off based on earlier calls and adjust on the basis of your estimate before
calling).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 21:39:24 +0200
From: stud04@cc4.kuleuven.ac.be (Tyberghein Jorrit)
Subject: switching between sys6-7 (desktop rebuild)

If you want to avoid the rebuilding of your desktop each
time you switch between system6 and 7, you should run
the Desktop Manager init on system6 (not when running
system7 because here the desktop manager is already
build in)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1991 18:27:28 CDT
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: System 7 - Changing Default Folder/Document Icons

Someone (I don't have his name/address handy) asked how to change the default
icons used to represent folders/documents without having to paste the icon you
want into each one separately. You'll need to use ResEdit to change the ICN#,
icl8, icl4, ics8, ics4, & sicn resources in the System file. It is safer for
those who tremble at the thought of ResEditing an open file, especially the
System file, to open it (or a copy) and copy the listed resources to a separate
file. Edit to your hearts content, then copy them back into the System file (or
your copy) and tell ResEdit that YES, you would like to replace resources of
the same ID. That will do it.
I have sent separately a file for the archives containing resources for all the
System-file icons which have been edited to improve the overall appearance of
the Finder. Some, like the basic folder & document icons, and the trash can,
are from those that come with SunDesk. All the other folder icons (Apple Menu
Items, Control Panels, etc.) have been modified on this model, as have a few
others. The suitcase for the System file itself has been improved as well. Some
of the icons have not been changed.
As I said, this has been sent in separately in order to facilitate getting the
answer out more quickly.

Now for my question - does anyone know what the ResEdit Jack-in-the-Box icon
in the Finder is for? Looks like it is meant to be a pop-up menu icon or some
such, but have yet to discover its use.
Now for a minor gripe - Either I'm not using it quite right, or all the hoopla
was in error, but the new Find command doesn't seem near as powerful as has
been made out. I wanted to look for all files with 'icl8' in their names and
'StuffIt' as their kind, but apparently you can only search on one attribute,
not multiple. Also, the 'All at Once' option does not clearly state what it
does, and would be nice if you could use it to search multiple volumes. Guess
I might just place a call to CE for DiskTop after all...

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 20:36:25 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnala.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts)
Subject: System 7 PICT Utilities package questions...

Hi y'all,
  Ok.  My last posting in this issue.  System 7 has the PICT utilities package.
Neat.  But -- what if my PICT is in a disk file?  Does the package use the QD
bottleneck procs to read it in?  Do I have to read it in, construct a pic
header around it?  If I do have to read it into memory, what if it is longer
than 32K (or does QD now ignore the PICT length, just looking for the end of
PICT opcode)?  Thanks for any comments,

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 20:35:16 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnala.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts)
Subject: Towards a better doc format...

Hi y'all,

  Remember several months ago all those flames about shareware manuals that
weren't in some standard format.  Stuff we couldn't double click to make go?
Well, back then I had an idea, and this weekend I finally got a prototype
working.

  Basically, the idea is to have a print driver save PICT commands to a file
and then have a reader recall those PICT commands (similar to Baudouin Raoult's
PrintToPict submission a few days ago, but all in one file) and display them
in some window and/or print them out.

  I now have a prototype (read: it works, but it isn' pretty!) working -- both
the print driver and the reader program.  Now my question is -- are people
still interested in something of this form.  Please send me mail and tell me
why it would be (would not be) a good idea to have something like this.  If you
think it would be nice -- what things should it do at the least, what should it
do if I had all the time in the world (to write this program)?  This sort of
program is no good unles a lot of people use it.

  Currently, I intend to offer it as shareware, $5.  $20 will get you source.
The file format I intend to make public -- I have made it so that others can
add things into it without breaking the basic structure -- it's a really cool
thing :-)!

  I'll summarize to the net the responses.  Please, when you write, tell me if
you are a shareware author, or a user (or both!).

	Thanks,
		Gordon.
Gordon Watts
BITNET: watts@uorhep
INET: "URHEP::WATTS"@fnala.fnal.gov

P.S.  The biggest bug, if you are curious, is that Microsoft Word won't work
with this thing (see my next posting!).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 18:50:56 PDT
From: djchin@vaxkiller.agi.org (daniel j. chin)

I have a few observations/questions about system 7.0's virtual
memory, eraseable optical cartridges and system 7'.0s
compatibility with third party accelerators.

First, running 32-bits on a mac2fx with 16 but not 24 MB of virtual
memory set (with 8 MB RAM) is inobtrusive when running several
image processing packages set at 5 MB each (Image 1.38, TCL-Image
and Nuvision-no package does everything).  The amount of
 remaining free space on the drive is
the simple difference of total space-VM space.

However, on another plain mac2 in my lab, a mac2 with a PMMU
chip and 5 MB of RAM can give no more than 7 MB of total accesible
memory (revealed by getting "About This Macintosh").  This means
that only 2 MB of disk space is being used as VM despite cliking on
the arrows in the memory manager till it peaks out at 7 MB (it won't
go no more bwana).  However, from the 10 MB space
 available on disk, only 3 MB is left, so 5 MB of disk VM is
 not being used by
the system but it is also not accessible for file storage.  Is this
maxwell's demon incarnate? i realize this ancient mac2 has dirty
24bit roms but i thought the max memory for 24bit addressing was
like 12 MB?  does the amount of physical RAM determine the VM on
a mac2 with PMMU?  or could it be an "early" PMMU? its got a paint
 dab over the x on 68851x markings.  i wuz told that it really was
a mature, production chip by MacProducts about 9 months ago when
 i bought it hoping 7 was shipping imminently (the bleeding edge?).

Regarding eraseable optical drives, i have a Sumo system's drive
(ricoh mechanism).  Of course, their init is outa data (soon, soon) so
i have to start the mac with the cartridge in the drive.  Now, i
really didnt think my driver was "re-entrant" (being an ejectable
medium) but hey, it works & its wonderful controlling access to
subvolumes of the partitioned cartridge.  Ditto for
 partitions of a large remote drive.

Has anyone used 7.0 successfully with a 3rd party accelerator? or
 even one of the newer 040 boards? (not expecting apple to provide
an upgrade path for unadorned or fx'd mac2's). if there
 are enuf responses, i will summarize for the net.

------------------------------

Date: MON, 27 May 91 12:05:38 EDT
From: "Jean-Luc Brousseau" <TRRBRJL%UQTR.UQuebec.CA@ricevm1.rice.edu>

Hi netters,
            I succesfully downloaded the SYSTEM 7.0 from ftp.apple.com and
I found a little problem with the keyboard since here in the french part of
canada (QUEBEC) we have a different keyboard.  In french we have accents on
some letters, just like in spanish they have ~ on the letter n.  We have a
special keyboard who have those keys.  If you do not have a US keyboard and
still would like to have those keys, here's a tip for you:  USE RESEDIT (2.1
preferably) open an old SYSTEM file who support your keyboard.  Find the KCHR
ressource.  Select your keyboard (Here in Quebec it is FR. CANADIAN) Make a
copy of it. You close your old system.  Then open your SYSTEM 7, the file
called SYSTEM.  Open the KCHR ressource and paste the ressource you copied
before. Ok close SYSTEM and YES save the modifications.  Close RESEDIT.
Open the KEYBOARD in the CONTROL PANELS, (Just double click on it remember)
Change the keyboard from US to the other choice that you will have.

Well, I hope this will help. Comments are welcome.That's all folks!
Jean-Luc Brousseau <TRRBRJL@UQUEBEC.BITNET>

End of Info-Mac Digest