info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/29/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 28 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 120

Today's Topics:

      [*] Brewer's WorkSheet
      [*] Color Picture Viewer
      [*] Command Keys in Finder System 7.0
      [*] Developer-Stack
      [*] Minor*Repairs 1.01
      [*] Sav-O-Matic
      [*] Sound DA accesory for LC and SI
      (Super) boomerang under system 7
      Bad SIMM Tone
      Changing the keyboard definition for System 7
      Coonectix 32 clean ROM extension
      Creating new Suitcase files
      Dialogs and System 7
      Edit II 1.2.2
      gatekeeper 1.2 options
      HC 2.0 & Personal LaserWriter LS...
      Joystick Input for Macintosh?
      MacKermit woes...
      MUGs in Chicagoland
      OzTeX and Postscript
      PICT Utilities Problem solved!
      PRAM problem fixed
      PseudoPS - Wanted / Help
      Putting and Getting files
      Scrolling in System 7.0
      StuntCopter
      System 7
      System 7 & Color Icons (again)
      System 7: keyboard modified?
      telnet and 7.0
      The System 7.0 Book in Spanish
      Think C updater question
      Typing tutor
      Video grabbers?
      White Knight with dedicated ImageWriter II (low-level printing)
      Window Copies from MacX
      Xante Laserwriter Accelerators

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 07:12:36 -0700
From: darryl@ism.isc.com (Darryl Richman)
Subject: [*] Brewer's WorkSheet

This is the Brewer's WorkSheet, a macro file and template for Microsoft
Excel that provides many features for calculating homebrewed beer recipes,
including water treatment, beer color and grain extract, and hop bitterness.
A manual is included;  Excel 2.2 is required.  If you have problems, I
may be able to help, but I'm not officially supporting this (I discovered
why people get paid a lot to write Excel macros ;-).

		--Darryl Richman
		darryl@ivy.isc.com

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/brewers-worksheet.hqx; 106K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 1991 05:51 PST
From: MOOREHOUSE@cisco.nosc.mil
Subject: [*] Color Picture Viewer

Greetings,
   I would like to submit this program to the info-mac
archives.  It is a color picture viewer for color Macintosh
machines.  It is very similiar to Apple's PICTViewer with a couple
of minor additions:
	- Multiple PICT files may be viewed
	- If enough RAM is available picture will be
	  loaded and drawn else PICT spooling
	- Looks for color palette info in PICT, if it
	  finds info it will build a color palette (using Palette
	  Mgr) and display PICT using color palette
	- PICTs are automatically dithered if the depth of
	  monitor is less than the depth of PICT->pixmaps
	- If you put the program into a folder with multiple
	  PICT files and select all the PICT files along with the
	  application and select "Open" from the Finder "File" menu
	  the application will attempt to open & display all of the
	  selected PICT files.
	- Built in Scale popup menu (25% - 400%)

   I would appreciate any comments.

-Mike Morehouse

[Archived as /info-mac/app/color-picture-viewer.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 08:24:58 PDT
From: LOUIE CASAGRANDE <casagrande%crcvax@bypass.span.nasa.gov>
Subject: [*] Command Keys in Finder System 7.0

Fellow Netters:

I am forwarding this message, courtesy of Thomas Lunde via Jim Bethin, because
I found it
immensely helpful and I thought others might, too.  I implemented everything
except the CMD-U,
CMD-S,. and CMD-R (too many accidental restarts when trying to empty the trash
with CMD-T) and they all work just as promised.  BTW, I'm using 7.0b4 (I know,
a dinosaur, but I haven't
been able to get my grubbies on any of the FC's) and ResEdit 2.1 (though _that_
shouldn't make
any difference).  Now, maybe one of you MacGods out there can develop a
template or, even
better, a resource editor, to make these things easier.

Lou Casagrande

[Archived as /info-mac/report/sys7-finder-command-keys.txt; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 9:07:37 EST
From: Tkelley@hel4.brl.mil
Subject: [*] Developer-Stack

	This is the first part of a two part developer Stack. This stack
	is a very valuable collection of xcmds and xfcns. I have had no
	problems using it with HyperCard 2.0, although this stack is in
	1.2.x format. Enjoy...

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xcmd/developer-stack.hqx; 531K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 91 11:04:44 EDT
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: [*] Minor*Repairs 1.01

Greetings from the Chesapeake ....

     As discussed in the latest (June 1991) MacUser, Minor*Repairs 1.01 is
a free, public-domain utility from 1stAid Software that rebuilds the Mac
desktop file WITHOUT losing comments from the Get Info dialog boxes.  It's
a handy alternative to Widgets (CE Software) and the FileSaver/Format
Recover combination of the Norton Utilities that perform essentially the
same task.  PowerUsers may still prefer the RedEdit approach to rebuilding
the desktop, however, which was discussed in some detail in the March
(pg 231) and November (pg 279) 1990 issues of MacUser.

  Jim Love  <jeteye@cbl.umd.edu>  Univ. of Maryland System / Solomons, Md

[Archived as /info-mac/util/minor-repairs-101.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991 14:49:52 -0500
From: smcguire@eagle.mit.edu (Scott McGuire)
Subject: [*] Sav-O-Matic

This is a CDEV which acts as an autosaver by sending a "command-S" to any
specified programs at an interval you specify.  Seems to work well (has the
advantage over the old Savior DA which doesn't work under MultiFinder
really), and solves the problem of Word not having the feature built in.  I
downloaded it from CompuServe (I was surprised there was nothing like it in
the archives.  Well now there is).

--Scott McGuire / smcguire@eagle.mit.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/sav-o-matic.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 10:07 CST
From: JAIME@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Subject: [*] Sound DA accesory for LC and SI

Sound Scrap DA

This little desk accesory allows the user to manage a sounds scrapbook,
named 'SoundScrap' into the System Folder. It allows copying and pasting
and rename of existing sounds. In addition, for those who have LC or SI
systems, allows the recording and saving of sounds directly to the
sound scrap. It works similarily to the Sound cdev, but stores the sounds
in a separate file, not in the system file.

The SoundScrap file which comes in this release must be stored in the
system folder for the DA to work.

Requirements : System and Finder 6.0.7 or greater.

This program is free, but I would like that anyone who uses it send me
a message, so I can build a users list for future releases. Any comment
will be welcome.

Please send e-mail to:

Jaime Iturbe
Bitnet: jaime@udlapvms

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/sound-scrap.hqx; 39K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 10:02:58 +0100
From: sigurd@ii.uib.no (Sigurd Meldal)
Subject: (Super) boomerang under system 7

In a posting NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu writes:

>Just want to echo James Davis'
>lament in the last info-mac about boomerang
>not working under system 7. It doesn't surprise me
>but it maketh me to weep: it was more important and
>valuable to me than any other init, and I probably
>won't actually do a full switch over into system 7
>if no substitute is forthcoming... :-( matt

I just want to note that I believe that all who have paid the shareware
fee have received (the commercial version) Super Boomerang for free. This
seems to work under system 7, albeit with some quirks (the dialog box gets
a bit confused).

Best regards,

Sigurd Meldal

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 8:04:03 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnala.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts)
Subject: Bad SIMM Tone

Hi y'all,
  I just saw someone comment about the "tone" his mac sometimes produced when
booting.  Another guy responded: bum SIMMS.  Hmmm.  I have an SE/30 with 5
megs, running System 7.  If I choose "ShutDown" from the Finder's Special Menu,
and hit the "Restart" button when the "You can turn off dialog" shows up, I too
get this tone.  This crash happens *every* time (even if I start up without
INITs -- ops system extensions).  My Mac, however, has never had any problem
booting from a "Restart" or from a power up.  So I'm not so sure that the tone
always means bad SIMMS...

Gordon Watts
BITNET: watts@uorhep
INET: "URHEP::WATTS"@fnala.fnal.gov

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 09:19:59 CET
From: Michael Daether <BF5%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Changing the keyboard definition for System 7

Jean-Luc Brousseau mentioned how to adjust System 7 for foreign keyboards
using ResEdit. I did this much easier (and probably safer):
After having loaded System 7 I simply opened the old System file, which was
a german Version 6.0.4 and dragged the keyboard configuration into the
System 7's System file. Just liking copying fonts and sounds.
This worked fine for the keyboard, only the other national support is not
copied along, like the different Date format or the currency sign etc.

                                       MICHAEL DAETHER

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 1991 20:55:47 PDT
From: Russell Rogers <rogers@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Coonectix 32 clean ROM extension

Connectix  has an init (extension) to fix the dirty ROM problem.  I
think the price is $189.  Sorry, no phone number.  Still wish Apple
would just release clean ROMs.  I want to put SOMETHING into the ROM
SIMM slot.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 09:50:11 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Creating new Suitcase files

Open a suitcase file. Option-drag one of the elements out onto the desktop.
(This copies instead of moves it there). Lo! a new suitcase appears.

In other opinions, aliases are the best thing since buttered bread! They
are enabling me to rethink my hierarchical file structure somewhat.
It seems to me that the most sensible thing to put in the Startup folder
and Apple Item folder is NOT the things you want starting-up or in the
Apple Menu, but their aliases. Keep anything you don't want possibly
ever corrupted by proximity to the system folder out of the system folder.

Apple Menu could've been a little more like On Cue, viz., with hierarchical
popup menus off the applications for docs, but perhaps that's wishing for a
lot. Does anyone know how to make SoundMaster work? I want to use the meg of
cute sounds that came on the CD......

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 09:32:10 PDT
From: "Paul J. Romaniuk" <PROMAN@uvvm.uvic.ca>
Subject: Dialogs and System 7

Has anyone seen this problem? Some of the Finder alert dialogs end up
positioned at the top left hand corner of the screen, partially obscured
by the menu bar - I see this on a Mac II and an accelerated Mac Plus.
I've only seen this with System 7, not previous systems. Any
comments/insights into what the problem might be?

Paul Romaniuk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 07:41:28 CDT
From: Keith Pollok    <AEZRAYS%UICVMC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Edit II 1.2.2

 I downloaded Edit II 1.2.2 last weekend and discovered that my Mac II si
 got a bus error every time I tried to read a text file. After returning
 to version 1.2 the problem went away.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 14:31:19 CDT
From: JOHNSON%TWSUVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: gatekeeper 1.2 options

Help!  I just retrieved Gatekeeper 1.2 and extracted 8 files.  I installed
Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Controls, Gatekeeper Prefs and Gatekeeper Aid in
the System Folder (System 6.0.5, Finder 6.1.5), shut down and rebooted.
I get a message that says Warning:Gatekeeper is currently operating in
Notify Only mode.  As a result it will not provide any protection against
virus attacks.
OK, I read the documentation and know I can change this by opening
Gatekeeper, but I can't open it.  I get the message "in use or application
is missing" when I try the FILE OPEN.
What do I need to do in order to change Gatekeeper's startup
option to Notify and Veto?  Thanks in advance
Bitnet:  JOHNSON@TWSUVM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 13:16:56 N
From: THOMAS_F%eldi.epfl.ch@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: HC 2.0 & Personal LaserWriter LS...

Hi,

I have a problem printing full stacks using HyperCard 2.0 on a Personal
LaserWriter LS under 6.0.7...

I'm not able to print two cards on one page, and the garphics do not print
correctly...

Anyone got an idea ?

Please send answers directly to me & I'll summarize to the net...

THOMAS_F@eldi.epfl.ch

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 22:41:31 EDT
From: halp@theory.tc.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern)
Subject: Joystick Input for Macintosh?

I need to use a joystick to control the vertical position of a display on a Mac
 (preferably a Mac LC) while the horizontal component moves across the screen on
 a predetermined, timed basis. I also need to store in RAM, and eventually on
disk, the (vertical) position of the joystick every 50 or 100 msec. All of this
is very easy to do on an Apple II or an MS-DOS computer using the commands
 that are built in to several BASICs. However, it seems to be very difficult to
do on a Macintosh.  I'd appreciate suggestions on how to solve this problem.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 12:58:28 -0600
From: con_mdp%lewis.dnet@selway.umt.edu
Subject: MacKermit woes...

Has anyone seen this problem before?

I run verion 0.98(63) of MacKermit, very satisfactorially for the most
part.  I use it to connect to a Vax running VMS 5.4 as a VT100
terminal.  Everything is fine until I enter the EVE editor (TPU to
some).  I really like the fact that the arrow keys and the keypad
operate properly (they don't in other packages), but often, the cursor
forgets to move down a line when I hit return, or when I fill a
paragraph, it is placed in the wrong position halfway through.  The
text is all there and properly formatted, but the screen
representation gets lost somehow.  Control-W (refresh screen) puts the
text back properly, but when this happens every 2-3 minutes, it's a
bit of a drag at 1200 baud.  Any notions on the net?  Thanx in
advance.

Mike Post
CON_MDP@SELWAY.UMT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 21:38:26 CDT
From: "sendhil  revuluri" <revu@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: MUGs in Chicagoland

Hello again...

Thanks to all those who responded to my recent queries on partitioning, VM,
and buying a Classic. (If anyone needs info, email me and I will tell you
what I can.)

To the point at hand: Does anyone out there know of MUGs in the Chicagoland
area? Or Mac BBSs in the (312) or (708) area codes? Or even a MUG which runs
a BBS? (Sorry if this is a bad place to ask; say so in your response, and
tell me some better place to ask.)

Does anyone know of some sort of MUG or BBS group maintained by anyone else?
Is this list posted to some newsgroup on USENET? (I haven't called Apple yet;
I assumed they were closed on the weekends, etc. (Memorial Day).)

Thanks in advance. Please reply via email and I will summarize to the digest.

Sendhil Revuluri
revu@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 91 21:37 -0700
From: burton@cs.sfu.ca
Subject: OzTeX and Postscript

Jim Amundson, amun@midway.uchicago.edu has the solution:

>       OzTeX will work just fine under System 7 if you put a copy of
>       the laserwriter driver in the System Folder proper i.e. not
>	just in the "Extensions" folder.

Also, the Laser Prep is no longer required.  The Postscript files
generated under System 7 can be printed on Unix machines, used in OzTeX
\special commands, etc., without change.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 7:23:28 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnala.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts)
Subject: PICT Utilities Problem solved!

Hi 'yall,
  Boy, do I feel stupid!  I went home after sending that message and !!! the
manual tells you how to spool PICT files via the QD bottleneck routines!  Oh
well, thanks to those that respond to my question anyway...

	Gordon.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 11:18:24 GMT
From: siegel@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Warren Siegel)
Subject: PRAM problem fixed

In a previous posting I complained about my Mac+ losing time, date, etc.
problems, which I suspected was due to a bad battery connection.  As suggested
by Ernie Potenziani (potenziani@etdl38.army.mil) and Bob Canfield
(canfieldra@vtcc1.bitnet), I had the battery connections to the analog board
resoldered.  (Coincidentally, it also needed resoldering for that standard
picture-tube-on-the-blink problem).  After a couple weeks of testing, it seems
to have worked.  (Of course, with all the System 7 problems I'm having, I
could miss a little thing like that.)  Thanks to all who responded.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 09:40:19 +0200
From: Georg.Denk@mathematik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Subject: PseudoPS - Wanted / Help

Hi net,

just before the files have disappeared from the net, I was able to
catch the three parts of PseudoPS submitted by Craig Rasmussen
<CER@STAR.STANFORD.EDU> long ago. PseudoPS should be a small utility
to show PostScript files on the screen (just a subset of the thousands
of PostScript commands is enough for me).

But after putting the three parts of the submission
together and deBinHexing it, PackIt (you see, the file was submitted
really long ago) was not able to unpack it (it mentioned something
about corrupted file). As I am not able to re-download it (it is no
longer in the archive) I would like to ask some (many) kind souls
to send the stuffit-ed and binhex-ed file either to me or upload
it again to sumex-aim.  (Craig, do you read this?!)

BTW, is there another utility in the large netland to print PostScript
files to the screen?

Waiting for the overflow of my mailbox and wishing you a forever happy mac

     Georg Denk    e-mail: Georg.Denk@Mathematik.TU-Muenchen.dbp.de

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 1:05:05 EDT
From: k044477@hobbes.kzoo.edu (Jamie McCarthy)
Subject: Putting and Getting files

I trashed my info-mac mail, and then found an answer to this problem, so
I'm not sure who asked it. Someone posted a message wondering why
his/her prompt window directly above a StdFile dialog wasn't being
updated properly under 7.0.

This isn't exactly an answer, but there's a folder on the system 7
Golden Master CD that deals directly with this problem.  Find someone
with the CD and check out "System 7.0:SampleCode:StdFileSample"--it
contains an application (and the source code thereto) which demos about
twenty different ways to Get and Put files, including windows which need
updating.

If you can't find the CD, it's also (I guess) Macintosh Sample Code Note
#18, from DTS, named StdFile, updated last in April 1991.
--
 Jamie McCarthy						k044477@kzoo.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 20:17:33 PDT
From: well!mo@apple.com (Maurice Weitman)
Subject: Scrolling in System 7.0

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

:A few days ago I posted about a significant decrease in scrolling speed when
:using 256-color mode in System 7.0. Dean Yu from Apple suggested I turn off
:the colored windows using the Color control panel. This speeds things up
:considerably.

:Apparently the extra expense of drawing the color scroll bar and various
:other window pieces is what causes the slowdown.

Maybe so, but since Dubl-Click software was able to make all
sorts of cosmetic changes to windows, scroll bars, cursors, etc.
without any discernable performance hits, maybe Apple could do a
bit better.  Click Change by Dubl-Click is really slick, although
I don't think it works (yet) with 7.
--
Maurice Weitman  mo@well.sf.ca.us

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 20:17:52 BST
From: ypay@leland.stanford.edu
Subject: StuntCopter

Does anyone out there have Stuntcopter? My four-year-old cousin loves to play
it but his disk is damaged. Actually, just post it to sumex, and I'll get it
>From there.

If it isn't free/shareware, does anyone know who sells it?

Thanks,
Dan Cory
Stanford

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 07:35:14+010
From: Alfonso Fuggetta - CEFRIEL <alfonso@ercole.cefriel.it>
Subject: System 7

Dear netters,

I have installed System 7 on one siII of our appletalk network: I have a
problem with the laserwriter driver.

I would like to have only one machine running System 7, at least until we
have checked that all our programs are compatible or we have received the
updated versions of the incompatible programs.

Since we cannot have different versions of Laserwriter and Laserprep on the
same net (is this true? I have errors when I try to print from my mac -
6.0.7 - after the printer has been reinitialized by the mac running System
7), I would like to install the new driver distributed with system 7 also
on those machines running system 6.0.7.

Is this possible?

If this is not possible, what can I do to have one machine running system 7
and all the others system 6.0.7?

Thank you,

Alfonso Fuggetta

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 16:22:54 BST
From: Marcus Harvey <marcus@sun.pcl.ac.uk>
Subject: System 7 & Color Icons (again)

Can anybody tell me why System 7 doesn't use the colour disk icons present in
the System file to represent my hard drive and inserted floppies on the
desktop?

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.sun - JANET
marcus%sun.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 8:07:13 EDT
From: siegel@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Warren Siegel)
Subject: System 7: keyboard modified?

Do I just have another Sys 7 incompatability, or did Apple change the keyboard
assignments?  I find some Option-Shift characters have been assigned different
ascii equivalents (like Option-Shift-X, Z, G, ...).  I need this stuff because
I'm using TeXtures 1.3 & taking advantage of the 8-bit capabilities by using my
own 8-bit font.  It's not a big problem, but I'd like to know what it's about
before I start modifying my font according to Apple's changes.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 9:32:44 EST
From: Tkelley@hel4.brl.mil
Subject: telnet and 7.0

	Does anyone out there know anything about using system 7.0
	and telnet. I have a ethertalk connection to a Sun machine
	and I was running NCSA telnet 2.3. Now I can't seem to log
	in with this new system.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 23:05:42 -0400
From: "Keith E Gatling" <kgatling@rodan.acs.syr.edu>
Subject: The System 7.0 Book in Spanish

It was mentioned in an earlier post that among the third party books
available on System 7.0 was "The System 7.0 Book" published by the
Ventana Press.

I just thought you'd all like to know that "Ventana" is Spanish for
"window."

Hmm...I wonder what Microsoft is marketing "Windows" is in Spanish
speaking countries?

keg

Keith E Gatling
kgatling@rodan.acs.syr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 10:11-0400
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com>
Subject: Think C updater question

I tried to use the recently posted 4.0.5 updater for Think C (I have
4.0).  I unpacked the updater distribution but could not find anything
in te way of installation instructions.  I tried running whatever
applications I found (autowaeve and the updater) but none of them gave
me a clear idea of what they were intended to do, or whether they had
done anything at all.  Maybe I'm just being dense or somethig, but could
someone out ther clue me in as to how to update Think C from 4.0.0 to
4.0.5?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 23:38:18 EST
From: pcwood@picasso.ocis.temple.edu (Paul Wood)
Subject: Typing tutor

 Hello,
 	Does anyone know where I may find a Public Domain Typing Tutor ?
 I purchased a copy of Typing Tutor III when I had a plus, but it
 bombs my mac II. I searched the archives at sumex with no luck.
 Thanks muchly.
 --
Disclaimer: Signature removed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 14:44 EDT
From: Rick Lesniak <LESNIAK%UBVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Video grabbers?

        I need some information about video grabbers.  We have several
MacII's, a Montage FR-1 film recorder, a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet Plus
black and white flatbed scanner, and Letraset's ImageStudio and Adobe's
PhotoShop programs.  We also will have (very limited) access to another
department's BarneyScan color slide scanner.  Our primary use for digital
imaging right now would be to grab single frames off rolling videotapes
that we would then manipulate (if necessary) and output as either slides
or prints.  We need a product that will allow us to freeze the moving
image without distortion and grab it via the Mac.
        Here's my question:  what advice can you give me about frame
grabbers?  Mass Microsystems' "QuickImage 24 Video Frame Grabber II" is
in our price range at $700 (from MacWarehouse), but all I know about it is
what it says in the promos.  If you are familiar with this board, are you
aware of any problems with it (things it won't do, or other possible
stumbling blocks to using it)?  Do you know of any less expensive boards
that will do the same thing?  Are there other products for frame grabbing
that you can recommend, or steer me away from?  Our budget is tight and
once we buy something we are going to have to live with it for some time,
so I'm hoping that you can provide some additional info that will help us to
avoid making costly (and permanent) purchasing errors.  Oh, did I forget to
mention the obvious:  we would like to purchase something soon, so any
info that you can give me as soon as possible would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

Rick Lesniak (LESNIAK@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 21:49:14 PDT
From: proteus@medisg.stanford.edu (Gregg L. Kasten)
Subject: White Knight with dedicated ImageWriter II (low-level printing)

Does anybody out in net-land use White Knight with a serial-connected
ImageWriter II (Low-level printing option in the printer-options)? I'm
trying to send the following command sequence before printing:
^[W^[E^[B^[a2

The W makes it print normal height;
The E makes it print Elite;
The a2 makes it print in Near Letter Quality mode;
The B is SUPPOSED to make it print 8 lines/inch, but this option is
not working. Has anybody had this problem? If so, any solutions?

Much appreciated.  :)

Gregg L. Kasten
proteus@medisg.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 10:21:02 EDT
From: rocket!cory@uunet.uu.net (Cory Myers)
Subject: Window Copies from MacX

We recently got MacX (1.1) up and running and I love it but I have one
minor problem.  I want to be able to copy a window from MacX into a
document.  I know about Command-B, but, in the rooted environment
(which I must use because the brain-dead application I have requires
twm) the copy command copies the entire screen, not the selected
window.  I have been using the "box" type cut but it seems relatively
painful compared to the ease of just getting the selected window in
the unrooted environment.  I've tried seeing if an xwd command will,
as a side-effect, leave something in the clipboard but xwd does not
affect the clipboard.  Anybody got a good idea?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 09:36:03 PDT
From: "Paul J. Romaniuk" <PROMAN@uvvm.uvic.ca>
Subject: Xante Laserwriter Accelerators

Does anyone have experience with the above products? How compatible is
their postscript compatibility? Please mail me direct, and I will
summarize for the net.

Paul Romaniuk
Bitnet: PROMAN@ UVVM     Internet: PROMAN@uvvm.uvic.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 08:51:24 -0600
From: bechard%mercury.cs.uregina.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu (Anne Bechard)

	I wonder if anyone out there knows of a good shareware or relatively
inexpensive Expert system.  I am trying to use an expert system to facilitate
movement and simulate AI in Hypercard.  The package I am working with
now, MacSMARTS, just isn't cutting it, because of difficulties in pulling in
information from text files or .sylk format databases.

	Anne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 08:33:58 COL
From: "Jaime E. Vargas" <FISICA01%ANDESCOL@ricevm1.rice.edu>

Hi, everybody

I'm a Macuser. I have a Mac IIsi with 2M in RAM and 40M in HD,
and I'm planning to buy a Personal LaserWriter LS.
As we all know this printer has no Psotscript and I need to print
PS files (like PageMaker files, etc). Does someone know about a
program or utility that converts PS descriptions to Quickdraw
descriptions?

'Cause any way every printing with a laser is no more than 300 dpi
Bitmap printing.

If there is no program, I can program this utility but I don't
know how to do it since I don't have enough information.
Any help (information, programs, comments, etc) will be usefel.

Thanks in advance

Jaime E. Vargas
e-mail: FISICA01@ANDESCOL

End of Info-Mac Digest