info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/29/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 28 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 121

Today's Topics:

      [*] FONT/POSTSCRIPT-ESCAPE.HQX
      [*] Jacksonville Old Style font
      [*] Ktext 094
      [*] Laboratory toolbox
      [*] maccp - command-line HFS copy for A/UX 2.0 release 1.0
      [*] MandelZot 3.0.2
      [*] Pignose font
      [*] SCSI Probe 3.0
      [*] TidBITS#63/27-May-91
      Another System 7 Tip
      boomerang ditto
      DiskCopy
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #117
      Latest version of MacWrite
      MODE32
      PostScript printing in Quickdraw
      SendPS -> LaserWriter Font Utility
      Slow StyleWriter
      System 7 (what else these days)
      System 7 - Comments & Invisible Folders
      System 7 compatible programs (info)
      TN3270 PRINT SCREEN PROBLEM RESOLUTION
      Typeographer 2.0 and some unrelated System 7 quirks...

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 10:52:56 CDT
From: motcid!marble!derosa@uunet.uu.net (John DeRosa)
Subject: [*] FONT/POSTSCRIPT-ESCAPE.HQX

Well, here it is...finally...after being told of the
existance of this font from 10 different sources,
I finally tracked down the elusive PostScript Escape  Font
on Compuserv.  Now Sumex has it also.  There were no
copyright notices or author information included on Compuserv.

Any text that is formatted with this font will be interpreted
by a PostScript printer as PostScript code.  What this
means is that you can imbed PostScript code into any document,
>From nearly any application.

I use it to place a light grey "PRELIMINARY" across
my documents, underneath the text. Dark enough to see
yet light enought not to interfere with reading the
document.

This PostScript trick and others are discribed in
a short manual which I have included with the font.
I also talk in the manual about using the PostScript
font in various applications.  Printing the manual
also produces a mild surprise (Microsoft Word only).

Enjoy.

John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group

[Archived as /info-mac/font/postscript-escape.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 May 91 21:37:58 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Jacksonville Old Style font

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the
Jacksonville Old Style font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive
containing the Jacksonville Old Style PostScript font as it was
originally received by me (bitmap, downloadable PostScript file(s), and
perhaps documentation and/or AFM files).  I've added a suitcase file
which contains a TrueType version of the font, created by FontMonger
1.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/jacksonville-old-style.hqx; 139K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 91 16:47:08 CDT
From: uunet!txsil.sil.org!evan@labrea.stanford.edu (Evan Antworth)
Subject: [*] Ktext 094

info-mac/app/ktext094.hqx  Text processing with the PC-KIMMO parser

KTEXT is a text-processing application that uses the PC-KIMMO morphological
parser. It accepts as input a text in orthographic form, tokenizes it into
words, strips off and saves punctuation, capitalization, white space, and
formatting codes, parses each word, and outputs the results to a quasi-
database file with a record for each word. The output data structures are
suitable for further processing by other programs, such as a text
interlinearizer, syntactic parser, or machine translation system.

Evan Antworth
Academic Computing Department
Summer Institute of Linguistics

[Archived as /info-mac/app/ktext-094.hqx; 169K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 May 1991 13:03 EDT
From: LOBSTER@northeastern.edu
Subject: [*] Laboratory toolbox

This file contains the Laboratory Toolbox and It's associated
help stack.

The LaboratoryToolbox is a Hypercard Stack which originated as a
tool for teaching laboratory computing. It implements an object
oriented "Laboratory Notebook" structure for the acquisition and
management of sensor based data within a laboratory environment.
The LaboratoryToolbox  Stack is  organized to support
hypothesis testing. The home stack spawns Project stacks which
organize the information and data objects which support the test
of a hypothesis. Each Project Stack can spawn Experiment cards
which organize the information and a set of Trial cards of a
particular  method for testing the hypothesis.  Each Trial card
organizes a set of Data Objects which support or trash the
particular method of testing the hypothesis.

An Extensible Data Dictionary
The LaboratoryToolbox only operates on  Data Objects which have
been defined in a Data Dictionary.  Each Data Type defined in
the Dictionary is either supported by the Instruments, Viewers,
Handlers and Editors of the Stack or by  applications accessable
>From the stack.

An Experimental Database
Laboratory Toolbox operates within the framework of a set of
Project Stacks. The Project stack consists of a Project Card,
A Chronology Card, A PathList card, a set of Experiment Cards
and for each Experiment Card a set of Trial Cards. As Data
Objects are added to each trial they utilize or add to paths
in the PathList card

An Extensible Set of Instruments
Instrument cards  implement a set of virtual instruments which
perform data acquisition functions to control VCR's, Aaaps and
Data Translation Frame Grabbers and GW Instruments Analog Interfaces

An Extensible Set of Handlers
Handler cards  control serial line peripherals, VCR's and CamCorders.

An Extensible Set of  Viewers
Viewer cards  support display and review of table, analog and
image data as well as videotapes.

An Extensible Set of  Editors
Editor Cards support display and alteraton of acquired analog and
table data as well as  some signal processing and statistical
operations.

Joseph Ayers, Associate Professor
Marine Science Center,
Northeastern University

[Archived as /info-mac/card/laboratory-toolbox.hqx; 621K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 May 91 21:05:38 +0200
From: d88-jwa@nada.kth.se
Subject: [*] maccp - command-line HFS copy for A/UX 2.0 release 1.0

Here comes maccp, a simple utility that allows you to copy files
to/from (or between) HFS volumes (like floppies, HDs, etc) and
the A/UX file system. You can specify wether to copy the data
fork, the resource fork or both.

Sorry, no wildcards or multiple files in this release. A "macls"
would be nice to, so maybe I'll write one in the future. Source
and makefile included. Please send me questions, comments or
a picture of your girl friend.

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/maccp.tar; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 May 91 23:50:41 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] MandelZot 3.0.2

This is version 3.0.2 of MandelZot, a program for exploring the
Mandelbrot set and other fractal-generating formulae.

Version 3.0.2 is an update to version 3.0, released last September.
3.0.2 adds a couple of new accelerator algorithms, including a
contour-crawling mode.  It includes an extension module for performing
Newson's method on polynomials of up to Z**5.  It's ready for
System 7 (32-bit-clean, tweaked for the 7.0 Palette Manager, and
virtual-memory-aware).  It'll run on any Mac with sufficient memory,
under System 4.2 or later.

MandelZot is Copyright Dave Platt, 1991.  It's "freeware"... use it
at no charge, give copies to friends, and so forth.  Distribution by
for-profit organizations requires written permission by the author.

Documentation follows in a separate mailing.

---
Dave Platt

[Archived as /info-mac/app/mandelzot-302.hqx; 197K
             /info-mac/app/mandelzot-302-docs.hqx; 188K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 May 91 21:38:59 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Pignose font

This posting contains a convertion into TrueType format of the Pignose
font.  What follows is a StuffIt 1.5.1 archive containing the Pignose
PostScript font as it was originally received by me (bitmap,
downloadable PostScript file(s), and perhaps documentation and/or AFM
files).  I've added a suitcase file which contains a TrueType version
of the font, created by FontMonger 1.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tt/pignose.hqx; 228K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 9:17:48 CDT
From: "James R. Macak" <llvvll@mixcom.com>
Subject: [*] SCSI Probe 3.0

This is Robert Polic's freeware SCSI Probe cdev, updated for System 7. SCSI
Probe checks SCSI devices connected to your system and displays the SCSI id,
type, vendor, product and version.  You can then update, reset, and mount
devices on your SCSI bus.

SCSI Probe supports any Macintosh by allowing you to add the new machine type
(click the cursor on the specific computer-type field). A SCSI Probe INIT can
now be installed which will mount SCSI devices upon startup or user-defined
keystrokes.

Jim Macak
llvvll@mixcom.com
macak@mixcom.UUCP (James Macak)

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/scsi-probe-30.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 22:49:12 GMT
From: ace@tidbits.ithaca.ny.us (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: [*] TidBITS#63/27-May-91

Index of TidBITS#63/27-May-91
Reviews/27-May-91

MailBITS/27-May-91 - Mail about another method for
storing digital images in digital cameras without
going through the analog disks.

SevenBITS/27-May-91 - Lots of news about System 7,
including bad news about QuickMail Administrator 2.5
and the amount of memory you need for System 7.

Storage Notes - Optical disks and 20 meg floppies and
phase change WORMs and 88 meg SyQuests, fun fun fun.

BAT News - Two new products from Infogrip with the BAT
chord keyboard, the Mini-BAT and the Walk-Around
Portable with Private Eye. Also some rumors about
Apple's forthcoming handhelds.

-Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor...

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-63.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: 28 May 91 23:58 GMT
From: JONPUGH@applelink.apple.com (Pugh, Jon,VCA)
Subject: Another System 7 Tip

Well, I have an Applelink account, although I am supposed to have a VAX account
on the way.  I can now be reached at jonpugh@applelink.apple.com although with
a 32K limit I cannot really post or retrieve anything this way. I can do email
though.

My System 7 tip concerns the new INIT 31 mechanism. For those not in the know,
INIT 31 was the INIT that ran all the other INITs, enabling us to put them in
seperate files in the System Folder. It has been improved in System 7. Now if
you hold the Shift key down it will not even run any INITs and if you keep it
down it won't load your stuff from the Startup Folder.  If you want to disable
only some INITs you will need to keep the Shift key up and then press it just
before that INIT runs, which is a real trick and it assumes that the INIT
doesn't run if the Shift key is down, which may not be a valid assumption.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 91 13:17:56 GMT
From: james@amdahl.ccsd.uts.edu.au (J Boswell)
Subject: boomerang ditto

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>Just want to echo James Davis'
>lament in the last info-mac about boomerang
>not working under system 7. It doesn't surprise me
>but it maketh me to weep: it was more important and
>valuable to me than any other init, and I probably
>won't actually do a full switch over into system 7
>if no substitute is forthcoming... :-( matt

They tell me that Super-Boomerang is the correct upgrade although this
would appear to be a commercial product - oh well. I am under the impression
that it will not load because it checks the version of the SSW (ahh inbuilt
obsolesence in software - what next :-< ).

If anyone's got info on Super-Boomerang or an update for Boomerang, please
post.

James.

 -----------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 15:38:09 CDT
From: "sendhil  revuluri" <revu@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: DiskCopy

Finally got some disks in the mail, and have space for System 7.0. Now all I
need is DiskCopy to make this easy as pie...

Where can I get DiskCopy? Is it in one of the disk images? (I have MountImage,
so I can get at the stuff in the disks...)

Thanks...

Sendhil Revuluri
revu@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 12:59:18 PDT
From: Loren_Latker.ES_CP8@xerox.com
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #117

Please put in next Info-Mac Digest:

Problem with System 7 and aliases.  I have a Hackintosh SE (with Irwin
Accelerator) with one SCSI 45 Mb hard drive and a 32 Mb drive connected to an
adaptec SCSI controller (all inside an IBM case).  The 45 Mb hard drive is the
startup drive, and is hard partitioned.  System 7 is on one partion, and 6.0.7
is on the other.  Some of my software is 7.0 compat., some listed as "must
upgrade," and the bulk unknown.  The system folder is free of unknown and must
upgrade utilities.

I can create an alias.  If the original item is on the desktop, the alias works
fine, time after time (dumb idea, but for testing is ok).  However, if I put
the original in a folder which is on the desktop, and bug (xerox term for
double click) the alias, it works one time only.  Thereafter a dialoge box
opens that says, "The alias  XXXX could not be opened, because the original
item could not be found."  When I select find original from within the Info box
for the alias, the dialoge box says the original item could not be found.

The way I was using aliases was to put all applications within folders within
an application folder.  The folders were opened, the alias created and put on
the desktop.  The alias name was not changed.  According to the Mac Bible
System 7 Book, what I'm seeing is not the way aliases are supposed to work.

I downloaded 7.0 from ftp.apple.com.  It is the network version software (the
Mac is not always on the network).  Any ideas on how to fix this (I assume it
is not a bug)?

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 91 02:02:01 GMT
From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: Latest version of MacWrite

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>The System 7 compatibility checker recommends updating MacWrite II to
>version 1.1v2.

>...Claris Customer Relations said...

>MacWrite II 1.1v2 is due to be released sometime around the end of June...

That is strange, I have a copy of 1.1v2 and I got it from a mail order
about a month ago!  And there was a coupon for a free upgrade to the new
System savvy version called MacWrite Pro.  Maybe that is what Customer
Relations told you.  All I know is I got it and you don't }:->.

Customer Relations...  The last ones to know...

-- Pat -----------------------------------> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 17:53:24 -0400
From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)
Subject: MODE32

Connectix Corp releases MODE32 which allows Mac II, IIx, IIcx and SE/30 run
in 32-bit mode. This extention has a list price of $169. It's phone number
is (800)950-5880 or (415)324-0727.

I don't think this is the solution though, especially for those IIcx user.
On page 13 of "Macintosh IIcx Special Options and Technical Information", I
found the following statement about IIcx's memory:

1 MB RAM, expandable to 8 MB; additional expansion possible with
greater-capacity RAM chips.

Since this statement is found in Apple's manual, shouldn't Apple, instead
of other company, make it happen?

Chou

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 13:33:38 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: PostScript printing in Quickdraw

From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
>Jaime E. Vargas askes about programs or utilities which allow PS files to be
>printed on Quickdraw printers:

Jaime, try Freedom of Press, or possibly Freedom of Press Lite (if it supports
the LW LS). Works, but I hope you aren't trying to process huge volumes of PS
print - it's pretty slow, IMO.

Disclaimer: These are my own personal opinions, not my employer's.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 17:38:10 EDT
From: tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu (Tim Cera)
Subject: SendPS -> LaserWriter Font Utility

About three INFO-MACS ago someone asked about SendPS not working with
System 7.0.  A couple solutions where offered (including one which I
cannot get to work).

On the System 7 "More Tidbits" disk there is a program called
LaserWriter Font Utility.  You can download Postscript files with
this program.  It also has some other neat features (print out font
samples, turn off the startup page, . . . etc.)

Hope this helps!

tim cera       tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 15:55:20 -0700
From: davidh@mills.berkeley.edu (David Hartmann)
Subject: Slow StyleWriter

A friend recently purchased a StyleWriter for use with her Mac Plus. She
has System 6.0.7 installed, with TrueType being the only init in the
System Folder.  The System is on her _SERIAL_ Apple HD 20, which is
no speed demon, to put it mildly.

The problem is that a simple page of double-spaced times takes 1 hour
and 20 minutes to print!  A more complex page using times and helvetica
and a few tabs takes close to two hours.  In faster mode these pages
take roughly ten minutes each, but "best" (sic) drag the whole shebang
to its knees.

Any ideas?

David Hartmann
davidh@mills.berkeley.edu

p.s. Thanks to those who replied to my problem with a Laserwriter 2NTX with
a hard disk.  Unfortunately, the problem persists and the users have given
up on it.  Apple is clueless.  Such is life....

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 00:54:45 edt
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: System 7 (what else these days)

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Hello all.

Hi! :)

>Third -	Problems 1. Compactor Pro.  in the Dialog box to Add.. to archive,
>	the return and enter keys DO not add the highlighted item to the
>	archive, as the default button {Add}, and performance under sys6
>	suggest it would.  I sent Bill Goodman a note on this, but maybe he
>	will read it first here.  Has anyone else noticed this?  2.  Is there
>	a fix for INIT/cdev 3.0?  It does not find all the inits.

It does, actually...  It just doesn't put it onto the list. :(  But it
added it to the archive when I tried it out.

	-=Alan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 14:32:57 PDT
From: Dave Martin <DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu>
Subject: System 7 - Comments & Invisible Folders

Two questions -
     I noticed that when you rebuild the desktop under System 7 that it
mentions that comments typed into Get Info will be lost. Now, I haven't
tried it myself to see if it's true, but I understood that this 'feature'
>From previous system versions had been left out of this latest release.
Is the message in error, or - worse - correct?
     Also, even though Apple should be commended for the fine work done
on System 7 (though their Marketing & PR people could have done better
before its release), it seems that they have managed (through AppleEvents,
I would guess) to completely mess up my network. Not literally, no damage
or anything like that, but in order to ensure that my management headaches
are as few and far between as possible I would (under System 6.0.x) hide the
System Folder & remove the Control Panel from the Apple Menu. By hiding I
mean I would use ResEdit to enable the 'Invisible' checkbox.
     Lo and behold, you do this to the System Folder under System 7, and the
stuff in the Apple Menu disappears (except for About this Macintosh...). An
alias to the System Folder (or anything contained therein) results in a file
not found error message. Herein lies my reasoning that AppleEvents is the
cause -- an alias is probably nothing more than an AE script. You double-click
on an alias, and the system knows to execute the contents of the script based
on the 'alis' file type (I don't have Sys7 right here, so I can't recall the
exact file type of an alias file, but I believe that is it).
     So, the second question is this -- how can I protect the System Folder
and Control Panels from meddling ignorant fingers under System 7? And does
ChooserUser still work even though the Username info is no longer within the
Chooser? (oops - that was five, um, three questions). Well, that will do...

Dave Martin (DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU,  BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 91 01:40:56 GMT
From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: System 7 compatible programs (info)

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>I upgraded to System 7 at home on Sunday & I love it.

   [ ... deleted stuff ... ]

>If you use ATM & Suitcase, you MUST HAVE 1.2.9.
                                          ^^^^^
   You might want to update to Suitcase 1.2.10 (probably at sumex now).
There was enough difference between the last prerelease version of the system
and the released version of the system to cause problems with suitcase.  This
is why the compatibility checker shows 1.2.9 as compatible.  The only problem
is if you open a suitcase and use it before you restart.  The system crashes.
In the mean time, open all of the suitcases you use, and then restart.

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 20:01:57 EDT
From: Matthew Tolbert <MTOLBER%ERENJ.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: TN3270 PRINT SCREEN PROBLEM RESOLUTION

Folks,

    A few months ago I mailed a query re: why our TN3270 program (a 3270
emulation program created at Brown University that allows users to connect to
an IBM mainframe via an Ethernet TCP/IP network connection) kept printing
out gibberish (like @#$%^WEWR@!#@$@@@@@@) whenever we used the PRINT SCREEN...
option.  Well, we found a solution that seems to work.

    Apparently you need a special set of fonts installed that the TN3270
program requires to print out the appropriate characters from a PRINT SCREEN
request.  These fonts, in the TN3270 Font Suitcase we found with a beta copy
of the MacTCP-version of TN3270, are 3278ALA, 3278ALABold, 3278APL,
3278APLBold, 3278Std, and 3278StdBold.  Once I installed them in several
of our site's Macintoshes, we could do PRINT SCREENs that didn't produce
gibberish!

    Frankly, I'm not sure if this is the actual answer to the TN3270 PRINT
SCREEN printer gibberish output problem, but it seems to work for us so far.
As I can't send files out through BITNET (only mail), can someone out there
send INFO-MAC a copy of the TN3270 Font Suitcase so that others can get
their hands on it?  Thanx in advance!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 19:30:28 PDT
From: glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin)
Subject: Typeographer 2.0 and some unrelated System 7 quirks...

In article <9105231954.AA26117@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> you write:
>   First, the typeographer 2.0 question (this utility appeared on the net a
> couple of days ago).  Great idea.  I have a Stylewriter, so I am used to long
> waits for the output... but not 7 minutes!  For every band it prints my SE/30
> with 5 megs sits there and thinks for 15 to 20 seconds.  It does this for every
> band -- even when nothing is printed on that band.

If the application does DrawChar-DrawChar-DrawChar rather than DrawString,
the overhead (yes, Virginia, there is overhead for every QD call to the
printer) becomes greater than the actual data sent.  The simple solution
is to build the string in memory and print the entire string with one DrawString
call rather than a series of DrawChar calls.  If they need to wrap lines
around the page, it is MUCH better to go with a repeat/draw string that
fits on page/remove printed string/until string has been printed loop rather
than drawing each character separately.

   -GLA

End of Info-Mac Digest