info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/30/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 29 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 122

Today's Topics:

      [*] Applicon 2.0
      [*] resedit TMPLs to modify 7.0 finder
      [*] System 7.0 Ram disk
      %_OBCHK in MPW Pascal ?
      11 by 17 PostScript Printing?
      Bad SIMM tone
      Boomerang and System 7
      boomerang ditto
      C++ needed
      Date Formats/Boomerang
      DiskFit for System 7.0
      e-mail ftp server (like bitftp@pucc WAS..)
      File Sharing, who is <Guest>?
      Gatekeeper 1.2 options (2 msgs)
      HyperCard Question--
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #121
      LaserWriter ROM fonts
      MacIIsi Tuning (or Cache vs Color)
      MacTCP
      MacWorld Expo
      MODE32
      Need an XCMD
      Partitions with Different Operating Systems
      PICT Utilities problem...
      PostScript Plotter drivers
      sound-scrap
      StyleWriter information wanted
      SunDesk to System 7.0
      System 7, Mac SE & NCSA Telnet
      System 7 and Desk Accessories
      System 7 Finder Grid
      tiff files
      TN3270 screen printing problem.

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 13:39:13 -0700
From: Rick Holzgrafe <rmh@apple.com>
Subject: [*] Applicon 2.0

This is Applicon, a utility for System 7.0. Applicon places a
"tile" on your desktop for each running application listed
under the Application menu. Each tile displays the icon and
name of "its" application. Clicking the tile brings its
application to the front, the same as if you'd selected that
app from the Application menu. Option-clicking will hide the
current app's windows before bringing the selected app to the
front.

Applicon is nice because you can see what's running without
pulling down a menu, and because the tiles are easier to
manage than menu items: you don't have to stop and read, and
you don't have to be too precise with the mouse.

Since the tiles can be covered by other windows, you can select
"hot spots" in the corners of your screen: just jam your mouse
into a "hot spot" and the tiles will come to the front. Applicon
will remember and save your preferences for which corners are
"hot", and where the tiles are placed on the screen.

Applicon is a fully compatible System 7.0 application that shows
how some things that used to require INITs can now be done with
a small app. You can launch Applicon at any time, but it's most
convenient to simply drop it into your Startup Items folder
inside your System folder. It features full on-line help,
including Balloon Help. It is free.

Copyright 1991 by Rick Holzgrafe. All rights reserved.
rmh@apple.com

[Archived as /info-mac/util/applicon-20.hqx; 55K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 18:35:19 GMT
From: hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht)
Subject: [*] resedit TMPLs to modify 7.0 finder

This are binhexed ResEdit Resources to modify 7.0 finder menus and some
preferences (date abbreviation in list view etc.).
The original fmnu template is the one from Alexander Falk.
Also included is a corrected version of the fval template (the one from
ResEdit 2.1 seems to be wrong) and a modified Finder File menu (Quit added).
A short Read Me is included.

Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/sys7-finder-tmpls.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 17:20:44 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] System 7.0 Ram disk

Sorry, I deleted the abstract.

Bill

[Archived as /info-mac/util/app-disk-20.hqx; 16K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 19:06:27 GMT
From: Emmanuel CASTRO <CASTRO%FRMOP11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: %_OBCHK in MPW Pascal ?

Hi netters !

I just need to know what's the use of %_OBCHK routine
in the library ObjLib.o with MPW Pascal.
I know it's used in type coertion with object,
but I want to know what it checks.

Thanks in Advances

Emmanuel CASTRO (from FRANCE)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 10:09 EDT
From: Rick Lesniak <LESNIAK%UBVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 11 by 17 PostScript Printing?

Hello Net,

Does anyone know of a postscript printer, laser or not, which will do
at least 300 dpi but on 11 by 17 inch paper?  We have a Typeographics
service which is in the process of purchasing a Mac for doing layout, but
need to be able to do large formats.

Similarly, is anyone doing a similar function using printers with
smaller format capacity?

Thanks for your help.

Rick Lesniak (lesniak@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 08:41:38 GMT
From: ace@tidbits.ithaca.ny.us (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: Bad SIMM tone

I've also encountered the bad SIMM tone when I whomped my partition
table on my SCSI drive. The Mac wouldn't boot if that SCSI drive was
on, even if I was booting from floppy. I solved the problem by turning
on the drive after the floppy had started to boot, and then reformatting.

I have had a loose SIMM cause the tone too, though...

cheers.... Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 10:36:04 +0000
From: Joshua Lieberman <josh@mpi.unibe.ch>
Subject: Boomerang and System 7

Boomerang, like a number of inits/control items, doesn't understand the
system sub-folders of Sys7. It seems to work for me when put directly
into the system folder, with an alias put into the control panels folder
for access from the Apple Menu. This is true as well for MacTCP, the WriteMove
1.3 printer driver, ATM, and any outline fonts to be used by ATM. Hardly any
programs know to look in the Preferences folder for their auxiliary files, so
I've gone back to cluttering up the main System folder. Unfortunately, OnCue
works under no circumstances, and SteppingOutII shows very flaky behavior
(particularly with Word4.0 -- what else is new).

Otherwise, I like the new System very much. File-sharing and virtual memory
work well, the latter at least to the extent of allowing Mathematica a little
free room with 5m RAM. I too would like eventually to use more VM with my
SE/30 (Helloo Apple).

As a user residing in Europe, I would like to extend my thanks to Mark Johnson
and others responsible for ftp.apple.com. Otherwise, it would have been months
(and many swiss francs) before we could have had the use of System 7.

Joshua Lieberman   MPI - Uni Bern  Switzerland    <josh@mpi.unibe.ch>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 08:33:31 -0700
From: Von.Rospach@Chuq.stanford.edu, only here for the beer <chuq@apple.com>
Subject: boomerang ditto

>If anyone's got info on Super-Boomerang or an update for Boomerang, please
>post.

SuperBoomerang 2.0.3 works with some cosmetic glitches. SuperBoomerange
3.0 (not yet released) will be fully compatible.

>They tell me that Super-Boomerang is the correct upgrade although this
>would appear to be a commercial product - oh well. I am under the impression
>that it will not load because it checks the version of the SSW (ahh inbuilt
>obsolesence in software - what next :-< ).

Boomerang was not freeware, it was shareware. Anyone who paid their
shareware fee was sent a copy of SuperBoomerang.

Seems to me this "problem" breaks down into three possible issues:

o You paid for Boomerang, got the upgrade and it should work.

o You paid for Boomerang and didn't get the upgrade. Solution: contact the
  author for your upgrade.

o You didn't pay for the software, it broke, and now you're complaining
  because the author that you ripped off won't release a new version of
  the program that works for you to rip off. I should be sympathetic?

If you're one of those folks using the product without paying the
appropriate fees, well, you're getting exactly what you paid for, aren't
you? I suggest you consider doing something radical -- if Boomerang is that
important to you, pay for the product.

chuq (a registered owner of SuperBoomie)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 15:52 ITA
From: Alessandro Giovini <GIOVINI%IGECUNIV.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: C++ needed

Does anybody know whether there is a hope then THINK
will eventually come out with a THINK C++?
I have to use C++ on my Mac, but do not want to use MPW.
Am I the only one in desperate need for THINK C++?
Mail directly to giovini@igecuniv.bitnet; if there is enough
material I will re-post a summary to info-mac.
Thanks,
  Alessandro Giovini

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 11:27:40 BST
From: Marcus Harvey <marcus@sun.pcl.ac.uk>
Subject: Date Formats/Boomerang

I noticed some talk of localising keyboards and dates under System 7 so I
thought I'd mention that the International CDEV from System 6 works just fine
under 7 too. There's even a color icon for it in the SunDesk collection!

Also, Boomerang DOES WORK UNDER SYSTEM 7! Just make sure you put it in the top
level of the System Folder, and not in the extensions or whatever. (It needs its
prefs file there too). There are two problems with it however... 1) It messes up
the pop-up menu in the open-dialog (cosmetic) 2) It starts opening files without
being asked! Specifically, after using the Open... command once,the second time
the open dialog flashes briefly on screen then the application opens the next
file in the directory listing. It was this behaviour that made me (reluctantly)
remove Boomerang from active service and into my Broken at System7? folder.

Other things of interest - the invisible Desktop file no longer exists at 7 as
far as I can tell. However the rebuild dialog still says "Rebuilding desktop
file...". The files Desktop DB and Desktop DF are still extant. I don't have any
books on 7 'cause it isn't realeased in the UK until July.

Thanks to discussion on this list I discovered the pasting icons into Get Info..
method. This creates an invisible file (called Icon) in the folder/disk. This is
how the Amiga does things, basically having a hidden file containing the icon
data for its corresponding file/folder.

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.sun - JANET
marcus%sun.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 08:32:12 SDT
From: Guenther Blaschek <Blaschek%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DiskFit for System 7.0

I have been using good old DiskFit for backup over TOPS during the days
of System 6.0.x. Since TOPS has gone now, I have to use file sharing, but
alas, DiskFit now reports something like "this is a simulated disk" and
refuses to work. This happens with DiskFit 1.5, no matter if I try to
backup a real disk to an AppleShare volume or vice versa.
I would really like to continue to use DiskFit, as it is much simpler than
many other backup utilities, and -- what is very important for me -- DiskFit
produces a Finder-readable backup (i.e., not a single huge file that requires
the original backup program to restore individual files).
Is there a newer version of DiskFit that works with System 7.0 file sharing?
And: How can I get it? I understand that DiskFit is marketed by SuperMac. How
can we Europeans order DiskFit and from whom?
gue -- Guenther Blaschek -- blaschek@alijku11.bitnet -- gue@soft.uni-linz.ac.at

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 13:58:42 +0200
From: adam%TNOAL1.TNO.NL@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject: e-mail ftp server (like bitftp@pucc WAS..)

Hello all,

Does anybody know why BITFTP@PUCC, my favourit ftp-server won't service
me (and a lot others) anymore?

Does anybody know of an alternative e-mail oriented server?

Now something else:

I would like to add e-mail server functionality to my Macintosh, just
like bitftp did. Does anyone know if such a program is available in
FreeWare, ShareWare or Public Domain? I'd like C-sources if possible!

Regards,
Adam van Gaalen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 16:38:26 +0100
From: reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl
Subject: File Sharing, who is <Guest>?

Subject: System 7 File Sharing, determining who is <Guest>

In short: when someone is logged on to my shared directory I can see which users
are using it with the 'File Sharing Monitor' Control panel. But I do not see a
way to detect who is <Guest>. I would like to be able to determine that
(so I can ask them how long they will need before I shut down my Macintosh, etc.)
Is there a way to do this?

Reinder Verlinde

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 08:16:03 CDT
From: JOHNSON%TWSUVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Gatekeeper 1.2 options

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for help changing the options
for Gatekeeper 1.2.  I opened the Control Panel and clicked on the
Gatekeeper CDEV which opened Gatekeeper Controls.  Gatekeeper Controls
has a list of sections from which to choose all the other parts of
Gatekeeper.  I clicked on Settings - Change Modes, etc. and clicked on
Stop the Operation(Notify & Veto).  .  There are lots of other options
there to.  Many thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Brenda F. Johnson
Academic Support Programmer
Wichita State University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 08:57:28 PDT
From: "Donald R. Proctor   spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu" <spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu>

  Help!  I just retrieved Gatekeeper 1.2 and extracted 8 files.  I installed
  Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper Controls, Gatekeeper Prefs and Gatekeeper Aid in
  the System Folder (System 6.0.5, Finder 6.1.5), shut down and rebooted.
  I get a message that says Warning:Gatekeeper is currently operating in
  Notify Only mode.  As a result it will not provide any protection against
  virus attacks.
  OK, I read the documentation and know I can change this by opening
  Gatekeeper, but I can't open it.  I get the message "in use or application
  is missing" when I try the FILE OPEN.
  What do I need to do in order to change Gatekeeper's startup
  option to Notify and Veto?  Thanks in advance

You need to open Gatekeeper Controls from the Control Panel.  There will
be a menu selection for configuring Gatekeeper (including a spiffy new
feature for suppressing the dialog box when Gatekeeper is in "Notify
Only" mode).

If this doesn't work, you might try downloading the archive again.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 7:57:34 CDT
From: F_RUSHINGRG@ccsvax.sfasu.edu (Ron Rushing Education Media Cntr. S.F.A University)
Subject: HyperCard Question--

Greetings From Nacogdoches--
I'm beginning a project in which the user will need to select and drag objects
to locations on the screen.  These locations will then be read, and a reaction
will occur.
SPecifically, the user will select and drag phonetic spelling symbols and place
them at locations on specified words.  Based on their placement, these words
will be spoken, using digitized speech recordings.
I seem to have read about a feature in HC 92.1??) that will allow this type of
selecting and dragging objects, but can't recall where (or how...).

Anyone have any suggestions ?  A reference to a manual or book would help, too.

Thanks--
Ron Rushing
Education Media Center
S.F.A  University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 12:35:54 EDT
From: John Mignault <AP201058@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #121

>They tell me that Super-Boomerang is the correct upgrade although this
>would appear to be a commercial product - oh well. I am under the impression
>that it will not load because it checks the version of the SSW (ahh inbuilt
>obsolesence in software - what next :-< ).

I've been using Super Boomerang 2.0.3 with System 7 for two weeks now and have
had no problems at all with it. Thank god. I think it's the only INIT I really
couldn't live without.

John Mignault
ap201058@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 09:00:24 PDT
From: Robert_M._Albert.ES_XC15@xerox.com
Subject: LaserWriter ROM fonts

Can anyone reccommend a utility that can upload the Postscript font outlines
>From a LaserWriter II NT to the Mac?  System is a Mac IIx, running 6.0.5.

Thanks,

Bob

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 23:56:19 PDT
From: glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin)
Subject: MacIIsi Tuning (or Cache vs Color)

In article <9105250641.AA20678@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> you write:
>  >   The explanation is that the video RAM sits in the 1 M RAM bank A
>  > (fixed on the board), that is very busy (the more colours the busier).
>  > Hence access to this part of memory is very slow.
>  >   Smaller applications (almost every appl. is small, except things like
>  > Mathematica ...) fit almost entirely into this bank, since the
>  > application heap grows from bottom to top.

This is correct -- but the memory addresses are backwards.

The MMU is set up to map the video RAM to high memory.  The easy solution
is an INIT (excuse me, extension) that asks for the amount of physical RAM
in the machine, then subtracts 1Mb from that number and sets BufPtr to that
value.  No more accesses to that RAM, unless something loads before that
INIT...

     -Glenn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 14:40 AST
From: Jose Mendez - Universidad de Puerto Rico <J_MENDEZ@upr1.upr.clu.edu>
Subject: MacTCP

I have the exact same configuration as you do on a MacII si.  Be sure you've
given MacTCP the correct info on the Control Panel (specifically the "Routing
Information; Gateway Address").  The gateway address should be that of the
Ethernet Interface on the cisco, not the serial IP address.  What seems
strange to me is that you say there is an initial connection.  Is there any
machine on your network you might be able to ping some internet hosts from?
Try large packet sizes (1000-1500 bytes) and notice the round-trip time.

Jose
:^|

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 91 16:40:00 EST
From: "MICHAEL R. ROMAN" <mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: MacWorld Expo

Is MacWorld Expo worth going to? If not, is there a conference that is?

Mike Roman, mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 09:23:45 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MODE32

On Tue, 28 May 91 17:53:24 -0400 you said:
>Connectix Corp releases MODE32 which allows Mac II, IIx, IIcx and SE/30 run
>in 32-bit mode. This extention has a list price of $169.

Suggests a mail order price around $100??

>I don't think this is the solution though, especially for those IIcx user.
>On page 13 of "Macintosh IIcx Special Options and Technical Information", I
>found the following statement about IIcx's memory:
>
>1 MB RAM, expandable to 8 MB; additional expansion possible with
>greater-capacity RAM chips.

WITH the current ROMs memory can be expanded to 13 MB or so (depending on
the number of NuBus cards installed), that IS more than 8.  So the
statement is literally true.

>Since this statement is found in Apple's manual, shouldn't Apple, instead
>of other company, make it happen?

Apple HAS a current solution for your IIcx, it's called a IIfx upgrade,
and they keep lowering the price (eventually you may find the upgrade
worthwhile).

Really, I didn't miss your meaning - your concerned with the IMPLICATION
rather than the literal meaning.  OK, bye-and-bye Apple probably WILL offer
a ROM upgrade (rumor says it's in the works and will contain bug fixes and
numerous improvements in addition to 32-bit clean).  The ROM upgrade's price
is VERY LIKELY to EXCEED the (mail order) price of MODE32.  Assuming MODE32
works as advertised (and we'll hear one way or the other right here on this
net really soon I expect), what's the beef (you'd rather have the Apple log
on your solution even if it costs more and doesn't work any better)?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 11:01:51 EDT
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Need an XCMD

   Hello all.  I am sure that there is at least one person out there that
can help me.  I am looking for an xcmd that can take any resource (in
particular snd or pict) and save it as a text file (ascii), sort of like
a binhexed file.  Further, this xcmd should also be able to take as an
argument a string representing the ascii version of the resource and
convert it back into its resource form.  IS there anything out there?
Or, is someone looking for an interesting challenge who would be willing
to hack one up for me?

   On a related note, does anyone have any docs on the comm toolbox
XCMD's that can be used from hypercard?  I have the xcmds, but the
docs are very sparse.  Thanks in advance.

Bret Ingerman       Syracuse University     ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 06:30:55 PDT
From: krk.wbst102a@xerox.com
Subject: Partitions with Different Operating Systems

I am trying to set up my hard drive to have two partitions, each with a
different Operating System. Eventually, I'd like to run 6.0.7 on the first
partition and System 7 on the second. For now, I am just trying to put a small
6.07 on the second partion to see how/if this scheme works...

Problems:
1.) In the Control Panel, when I select partition 1 as the "Startup Device" and
close and reopen the Control Panel, it always goes back to both partitions
selected.

2.) When I select partion 2/Finder in "Special Menu/Select Startup" and
Restart, it always starts up partition 1 instead.

Does anyone know how to make this work?

	Thanks for any help,
	Ken

PS: My system is a Mac II Si with a Quantum 105 HD, formatted and partitioned
with Storware.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 10:33:36 CDT
From: "URPAS::WATTS"@fnalh.fnal.gov (G. Watts -- Rochester)
Subject: PICT Utilities problem...

Hi y'all,
  I have been trying to analyze a PICT using the new System 7 operating system.
I think the problem comes from me having never written a trap call from scratch
(Think C has always provided them).  The PICT utils are a package, trap
_Pack15.  The selector for GetPictInfo is 0x0800.  Below is a code fragment
that crashes with a "bus error" in Think C 4.0.5. on a SE/30 w/ 5megs.

main ()
{
	PicHandle thePic;
	PictInfo thePicInfo;
	int theErr;

	thePic = (PicHandle) GetResource ('PICT', 0);
	theErr = GetPictInfo (thePic, &thePicInfo, 0, 0, systemMethod, 0);
}

In my own header file I have declared the GetPictInfo routine as the following:
#define
_Pack15
0xA831
#define _moveW 0x3F3C

pascal OSErr GetPictInfo (PicHandle thePictHandle,
			PictInfo *thePictInfo,
			int verb,
			int colorsRequested,
			int colorPickMethod,
			int version) =
				{_moveW, 0x0800, _Pack15};

I have used MacsBug to dissassemble the code for this call -- it looks like
Think C pushes a bunch of stuff onto the stack (as it should, I think) and then
the trap call becomes:

	move.w	#0x0800, -(A7)
	_Pack15

I think that is right (I hope I am wrong).  I'm not really sure what to try.
I have tried looking at Think's way of calling the Standard File package (and
other _Pack trap) but it makes no sense to me.  Anyone have any clues?
Please!?!?!?

By the way -- the computer that gets my mail was down for 3 days over the
weekend due to a faulty system manager.  If you tried to respond to my mail
then and couldn't get through, please try again!  Thanks (I wrote about a
document format, Word PICT problem -- which I am trying to solve with this).

Also -- does anyone know how to get the Folder Titles back in the Finder
Windows?  Non of my folders have anything in the title bar (system 7).

Gordon Watts
BITNET: watts@uorhep
INET: "URHEP::WATTS"@fnala.fnal.gov

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 19:15:02 SDT
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PostScript Plotter drivers

This is a posting for a friend:

Are there any plotter drivers commercial or not that understand PostScript?
In other words is it possible to drive a plotter from Freehand, Illustrator
or other PostScript drawing programs without going via a PS to QD converter?

Thanks in advance

Norbert Mueller
Institute of Chemistry
Johannes Kepler University
A-4040 LINZ
AUSTRIA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 09:22:22 PDT
From: jedavis@ucdavis.edu (James Davis)
Subject: sound-scrap

Has anyone gotten sound-scrap to work correctly under 7.0
I get messages about "sound scrap must be installed in the system folder"
Am i being really stupid?  I suspect this DA wants to be directly
in the system file.. but any ideas?

Jamess Davis (jedavis@ucdavis.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 10:28:05 +0100
From: reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl
Subject: StyleWriter information wanted

I am thinking about the purchase of a StyleWriter and have some
questions about life expectancies:

1. I once saw the MTBF of the printer ITSELF being quoted as 6000
   pages. Is this true (looks rather low to me)?

2. Is there anybody around who can give 'real' figures on the
   life  expectancy of the ink cartridges? A related question:
   does the StyleWriter use different cartridges than the
   Canon BubbleJet it is based on (I have seen descriptions
   of both printers which seem to indicate that the StyleWriter
   has cheaper cartridges and manages to print more pages with
   them, but I do not trust manufacturers specs)?

3. Is there
   a. no possibility of a ink refill
   b. no possibility of a ink refill YET.
   c. a possibility of a ink refill
   In case of c: what does it cost/how do you do it?

4. Is there any speed difference with the StyleWriter as regards
   to the speed of the Macintosh driving it (i.e. should I buy a
   FX in order to get real speedy printing). I know this to be
   true for the ImageWriter (the 'pauses for thought' decrease
   in length when using faster Mac's and would think this to be
   even more true for the StyleWriter (a 360dpi page occupies
   about 1 Megabyte and I do not think that there is that much
   buffer memory in the StyleWriter))

Reinder Verlinde

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 29 May 1991 10:01:46 EDT
From: "Jeffrey N. Fritz" <JFRITZ%WVNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SunDesk to System 7.0

Does anyone know how to convert SunDesk icons so that they work with 7.0?
I'm not afraid to use ResEdit 2.1 to do the job, but my experimentation
hasn't worked so far.

Also, where are the desktop icons for the mounted volumes and AppleShare
server found?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 20:20:59 EDT
From: jbotz%MHC.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: System 7, Mac SE & NCSA Telnet

A user here at Mt. Holyoke just installed System 7 on her SE (2 Meg, 40M HD),
and now Telnet 2.3 (NCSA) crashes with an "unimplemented trap" bomb at the
point of opening a connection.  The rest of us have had no (major) problems
with the same version of Telnet on other types of Macs (IIcx, LC).  Has anybody
else experienced this?

Jurgen Botz, jbotz@mhc.mtholyoke.edu

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 91 22:01:53 GMT
From: Mitch Cherniack <mitch@cs.concordia.ca>
Subject: System 7 and Desk Accessories

Has anyone else had difficulty "running" their DA's
under System 7?  Supposedly, one can drag DA
suitcase files into the system folder and an executable
version of the DA is placed in the Apple Menu Folder.
No matter which suitcase file I try this with, my
system crashes in the middle of the copy.  Anybody
have a solution to this problem?

Mitch Cherniack
mitch@concour.cs.concordia.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 10:33:10 PDT
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: System 7 Finder Grid

System 7 has a new grid structure.  The spacing between lines is smaller.
I had established a number of folders such that they could be scrolled
with logical groups of icons in each full screen scroll position.  The
new grid sizes makes this almost impossible to maintain.  Has anyone
found a way to change the size of the grid (spacing between icons and
lines of icons)?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 14:59:30 EDT
From: Patrick Bray <bray@think.com>
Subject: tiff files

I am trying to display a tiff file to a screen. I have code that will parse
the tiff file turning it into pixels, but I am having trouble displaying the
bit map. Could anyone send me or point me to code that will either display a
tiff file or - given a bit map - display it. C code is preferable but Pascal is
welcome! Thanks in advance.

--Patrick Bray		bray@think.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 11:07:06 EST
From: Chris Jones <CHMCHRIS@vm.uoguelph.ca>
Subject: TN3270 screen printing problem.

Each copy of each archive I have received so far has had a copy of the
special fonts required.  They are kept in the 'printing configuration'
folder, which appear after the file has been un-archived.  Uploading the
fonts only is a waste of space, considering how easy it is to connect to
Brown U.  Your problem probably arose because you got a copy from someone
else, rather than the oringinal archive, which has always contained
everything needed.

Chris

End of Info-Mac Digest