info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/31/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 30 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 123

Today's Topics:

      Boomerang, Sys7, etc.
      Conference Announcement
      Dragging suitcases into system file
      e-mail ftp server (like bitftp@pucc WAS..)
      Excelan EtherPort SE and Sys-7.0
      Forwarding- Partitions with
      fpt/telnet from Mac (FAQ?)
      Freehand
      HyperCard 2.1 Network Communication?
      I/O error with Macwrite II
      Japanese word processor needed
      Latest version of MacWrite
      Looking for a .tar decoder for the Mac
      Map merge?
      Monitors for the LC.
      Script Manager Package.
      Shareware
      Summary on Ram Checker
      SunDesk to system 7
      System 7 (Fact or Fiction?)
      System 7.0 and SuperBoomerang
      System 7 ?
      Telnet on a Plus connected to Internet Router !
      Trouble with Alert XCMD from Developers 1.3r
      upgrades

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 21:53:17 EDT
From: JBUTLER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Boomerang, Sys7, etc.

Two questions regarding System 7 problems.

1.  For those of us who have neither Boomerang nor Super Boomerang but want
the latter, given all those who say they can't live without it, where can it
be gotten?

2.  Is there any clock program that puts the time above the menu when using
Word4?  On my Mac SE/30 under Sys7, Superclock 3.9 no longer shows up when
using Word4?  Any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 08:37:53 EDT
From: MacSciTech <scitech@ra.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Conference Announcement

1st Annual
SCIENTIFIC & ENGINEERING
APPLICATIONS OF THE MACINTOSH
T E C H N I C A L  C O N F E R E N C E  &  E X P O

January 15 to 17, 1992   Sir Francis Drake Hotel   San Francisco, CA

CALL FOR PAPERS

Title Submission Deadline:  August 1, 1991

Full Abstract Submission Deadline:  October 1, 1991

The 1st Annual Conference on Scientific & Engineering Applications
of the Macintosh (SEAM 92) will be held January 15 to 17, 1992 at
the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in San Francisco, California.  The
technical conference will provide a central forum for discussions on
the use of Macintosh computers in all fields of science and
engineering.  The meeting will focus on practical applications of
Macintosh technology in scientific and engineering environments,
and will serve to stimulate the interchange of real solutions to
current problems.

SEAM 92 will overlap one day with MacWorld Expo and will present
an opportunity for interaction with Apple Computer, vendors of
scientific and engineering software and hardware, and other, more
general users of the Macintosh.  SEAM will also include its own
table-top exhibition where third-party developers will demonstrate
their latest products.

SEAM 92 is organized and sponsored by MacSciTech, the Macintosh
Scientific and Technical Users Association, an independent,
professional association whose charter is to enhance the effective
utilization of Macintosh computers within the scientific and
engineering communities.  The conference is open to all scientific
and engineering users, but members of MacSciTech will receive a
registration discount.

Technical Sessions & Keynote:

The SEAM 92 technical program will consist of 2 and 1/2 days of
technical sessions and will include invited talks, contributed
papers, at least one poster session, short courses and panel
sessions.  The plenary talk will feature Dr. Clifford Stoll, author of
RThe Cuckoo's Egg.S

To receive more information about technical session topics, paper
submission procedures and deadlines, and other conference
activities, please write to:
      SEAM 92
      c/o MacSciTech
      49 Midgley Lane
      Worcester, MA 01604

or e-mail a request to

scitech@ra.nrl.navy.mil on the Internet or
SciTechMac on America Online.

Membership information for MacSciTech can be obtained from the
above mail and e-mail addresses.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 09:31 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Dragging suitcases into system file

Mitch writes:

>Has anyone else had difficulty "running" their DA's
>under System 7?  Supposedly, one can drag DA
>suitcase files into the system folder and an executable
>version of the DA is placed in the Apple Menu Folder.
>No matter which suitcase file I try this with, my
>system crashes in the middle of the copy.  Anybody
>have a solution to this problem?

The key is not to drag the SUITCASE file, but to open (double-click) the
suitcase and drag the DA out of it, into the "Apple Menu Items" folder which is
in the System Folder. You can also drag the DA anywhere else, and it will
create a stand-alone application (which I assume runs only under system 7.0)!

So I have my less frequently used DAs in a folder ("Other DAs") which has an
alias in the "Apple Menu Items" folder. NEAT!

Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 22:46:47 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: e-mail ftp server (like bitftp@pucc WAS..)

On Tue, 28 May 91 13:58:42 +0200 you said:
>Does anybody know why BITFTP@PUCC, my favourit ftp-server won't service
>me (and a lot others) anymore?

Because you host is NOT on BITNET (note, that's BITftp).  There's a copy
of the note from the folks at Princeton in the HELP-NET archives on
LISTSERV@TEMPLEVM.  The short version is there was simply too much of
a traffic load from UUCP and other hosts not on the Internet proper for
Princeton and BITNET to continue to underwrite the cost (what appears to
be "free" costs somebody).

>Does anybody know of an alternative e-mail oriented server?

Pardon?  I'm getting old, I guess.  I regarded the advent of BITFTP (only
2 or 3 years ago) as nothing short of astonishing (also that a PRIVATELY
funded institution would underwrite it -- the inevitable was entirely
predictable).  I'm almost certain Princeton would be happy to provide
the code at no charge to any "Daddy Warbucks" sufficiently well heeled
to pick up the tab.

Our institution is about to connect to the Internet proper.  I sit on the
relevant committeess and, as a consequence, know that the cost of the
Internet is about 60 (yes, SIXTY) times the cost of BITNET.  The Internet
is faster and provides more service (ftp, telnet) and we can no longer live
without it, but what you're asking for ain't cheap.  The solution is hard
currency, nothing less.

BTW the folks at Princeton are VERY UNHAPPY about cutting off the service,
but you can't repeal or ignore economic reality.  They had no choice; I'll
be happy to supply an address where you can send compensation for the
services already consumed to date (if EVERYONE pays up, you might expect
service to be restored).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 05:47:43
From: randy@sparc.ncpa.olemiss.edu (Randy Zagar)
Subject: Excelan EtherPort SE and Sys-7.0

I am trying to install sys-7.0 on a Mac-SE with an EtherPort-SE card.
Unfortunantly, I don't have the correct driver for this beast for 7.0.

If anyone has made a disk image of the installer software available by
anonymous ftp, please let me know.

Also, I seem to remember someone mentioning that getting MacTCP to work
under sys-7.0 was a little troublesome.  Could someone forward that
information to me please.

Thanks,

 Randy
 randy@sparc.ncpa.olemiss.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 22:29:24 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Forwarding- Partitions with

On Wed, 29 May 91 13:44:34 U you said:
>Note: I am trying to set up my hard drive to have two partitions, each with a
>different Operating System. Eventually, I'd like to run 6.0.7 on the first
>partition and System 7 on the second. For now, I am just trying to put a small
>6.0.7 on the second partion to see how/if this scheme works...
>
>Problems:
>1) In the Control Panel, when I select partition 1 as the "Startup Device" and
>close and reopen the Control Panel, it always goes back to showing both
>partitions selected.

Two partitions really aren't necessary, but now that you have them, the
simple answer is the one that works for multiple system folders in a
single partition (or on multiple volumes, however...).  Download:
System-Switcher-11.hqx from your favorite info-mac (sumex-aim, wuarchive,
ricevm1, MACSERVE's -- all the usual suspects :-)  It'll work and you'll
like it MUCH better than the Startup cdev (which I long ago pitched).

Is there an echo in here (haven't I heard about System Switcher at LEAST
five times in the last 10 days? not including the replies saying, "you
know you're right; it works terrific!)?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 7:38:56 EDT
From: siegel@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Warren Siegel)
Subject: fpt/telnet from Mac (FAQ?)

I know this has been discussed a lot, but what is the best way to directly
connect an AppleTalk network of Macs directly to Internet, for purposes of
ftp, telnet, mail, Usenet news, etc.?  (We would also like to network our
printers with our MIPS & SGI mainframes.)  I need to know about hardware
(GatorBox?), software, and $.  I have the latest version of VersaTerm for the
Mac end.  We have been using uShare for connecting to the MIPS, but performance
and support have been less than optimal.  Also, I'm running System 7.0 (on a
Mac+), and would like something already (/soon?) compatible.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 09:25:28 EDT
From: "Jonathan M. Lang" <JMLANG@gwuvm.gwu.edu>
Subject: Freehand

Does anyone know of a utility that works with freehand files (2.0 or 3.0) and
will break a color image into its four (cymk) color planes and allow the
user to save the planes as seperate files?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 08:43:02 -0400
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce @ The Hotline)
Subject: HyperCard 2.1 Network Communication?

I am trying to get multiple HyperCard 2.1 stacks to talk to each other by
passing events via the network. If anyone has had any luck with this type
of program or knows where I could get some more information I would love
to hear from you.

I have been running HyperCard 2.1 under System 7 for about a week now and
can't figure out how to use the network features.  The documentation that
comes with the 7.0 Personal Upgrade is introductory at best and does not
address any of the new features.  However, with ResEdit 2.1 and a few other
vague  "hints" that I have come some clues have been found.

1) If file-sharing is on, a command like

       put the programs in field "FieldName"

   will display a list of active applications much like ProcDoggie or the
   Application menu.

2) High-level messages can be sent between active programs with SEND.

   ex: send "YourMessage" to program TeachText
   or, send "OtherMessage" to "HyperCard"

3) Also appleEvents can be dealt with using familiar HyperTalk constructs

    on appleEvent myString
        put myString
        beep
    end appleEvent

4) Also I was sent some mail tempting me to try these commands

    answer program "myPrompt"
    reply error "myErrorMessage"
    request appleevent data
    set the itemDelimiter to colon

But, I have not been able to get a HC21 stack on one machine to be able to
control a HC21 stack on another machine across the network.  I am trying
some of the events from Inside Macintosh VI against other programs to see
if I can learn anything that way.  If any solid information is out there
and available I would love to see it.

Bruce Abernethy
Calvin College, Computer Center
bda@uengr.calvin.edu

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 91 01:13:47 GMT
From: mryman@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Mark Ryman)
Subject: I/O error with Macwrite II

A user came to  me today with a rather important file which he could not
open.  He had a data disk containing only five files, all of which were
created with Macwrite II.  He is able to open all of the files except one,
which of course is the only one he really needs to complete the last course
of his college career.  When we attempt to open the file it gives an error:
I/O error. Unable to read or write to disk.  The file is 125k in size.  I
got out my box of utilities and repair disks and did everything I could think
of and had no luck.  Norton Disk Doctor for Macintosh came up with two minor
errors near the end of the run, but said they were successfully fixed. I tried
to open it again and got the same results.  Next I did a bit copy to a new disk
and used Mactools to verify the file.  I came up with the following error:
-36 at block offset 251.  This came up two more times, at block offsets 252
and 253 also.  I also used SUM II on it to try to recover the file. Initially,
this seemed to work, but error -127 appeared just as I thought the file was
going to open.  I do not have a lot of experience with handling problems of
this nature, but I do have several utility and repair programs available to
me for attempting to remedy situations such as this.  If anyone has experience
with a problem similar to this and could send some useful information for
recovering all or part of the damaged file, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
-Mark

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 07:52:38 SDT
From: ALexander Falk <FALK2%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Japanese word processor needed

A friend of mine would like to use her Mac for German - Japanese
translation work. I've had no problem installing Apple's Kanji System
Software 6.0.7 (from the last Developer CD: Lord of the Files) on her
Mac, but I was wondering if there is a good Japanese word processor
on the market (preferrably one that includes a spelling checker?!).
If not, does anyone at least know what applications (especially what word
processors) are compatible with KanjiTalk?
Any help is highly appreciated,
(A)(L)exander (F)alk

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 91 03:32:46 GMT
From: hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: Latest version of MacWrite

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>>The System 7 compatibility checker recommends updating MacWrite II to
>>version 1.1v2.

>>...Claris Customer Relations said...

>>MacWrite II 1.1v2 is due to be released sometime around the end of June...

  Customer relations knows what they are talking about!  I am the one with
hoof and mouth desease (open mouth, insert foot).  I have MacWrite II 1.1v1
and MacDraw II 1.1v2.  I got a bit confused...

   Sorry about that Claris Customer Relations... (but I did use a smiley!)

-- Pat -----------------------------------> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

P.S.  I gotta figger out whats causin' my posts to get duplicated!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 21:01:27 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL@vmtecqro.qro.itesm.mx>
Subject: Looking for a .tar decoder for the Mac

Would anyone happen to have a decoder for binary files in Unix .tar format ?
I have a bunch of Postscript files that arrived all nicely bundled up
in one big .tar file, which is quite useless as is.

My Macs are running system 6.0.7, and disk space/directory structure is
not a problem.

I saw that there is a .tar translator, but since I don't have
StuffIt Deluxe, it is useless too.

Thanks in advance,

Juan Courcoul
Monterrey Tech.
Mexico

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91  15:03:29 MST
From: "Robert D. Reynolds" <IACRDR%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Map merge?

FROM:  Robert D. Reynolds
       School of Music
       Arizona State University

     Can anyone tell me how to merge a Map made under System 6.x with the new
Map under System 7 which apparently has additional cities? Alternatively, is
there a way to print out the cities in Map, with their correct longitude and
latitude? Thanks, <RDR>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 12:50:02 +0100
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Monitors for the LC.

A friend of mine has an old colour monitor that was used with an Apple II. He
 now wishes to use it with an LC that he has just bought. When we try to plug it
 in the picture is all blured and we think this is due to the synchronisation
 between the com
Does anyone out there know if it is possible to connect old Apple II monitors
 toLC's. (It is a Taxan type I think). If this is not possible what other cheap
 monitor options are there for the LC. He wants to avoid buying an expensive
 Apple
monitor if at all possible.
I remember seeing something about connecting IBM EGA monitors. Who do i have to
 contact to get the cables to for this kind of set up?

Thanks in Advance.

Peter Hardman. Manchester UK. hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa / hardman@uk.ac.mcc.cgu.v3

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 12:57:42 +0100
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Script Manager Package.

Does anyone know where I can get this package from. We used to be able to get it
 from the developers group in the UK, but recently they decided to charge lot of
 money to be a member. As we are relatively poor we are no longer able to afford
 to join but would still like to be able to buy these products. The last
 catalogue we have
Is there any way we can get it mail-order from the states?

Peter Hardman. Manchester UK. hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa / hardman@uk.ac.mcc.cgu.v3

P.S i think System 7.0 is great apart from the fact that even on a 2.5M SE we
are unable to use filesharing and still run programs at the same time.
I had hopes that we could get it running on our network here but with 15
 machines needing to be upgraded the cost is just too much.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 22:15:38 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Shareware

Just to talk about something besides System 7... ;^)

I disagree with Chuq about people using Boomerang without paying for it.  As a
Shareware author (I have received more checks than 5) I don't think you should
even consider releasing something as Shareware without agreeing that people
can and will use it without paying.  This is called an understanding of human
nature. There are two ways to "combat" this and get people to send in your
money. The first is upgrades, a proven technique, while the other is prayer,
and all I can say is that it hasn't worked for me. ;^)

I see Shareware as an attempt to justify your need to hack and to perhaps
altruistically provide something to this electronic community of which we all
belong.  If I am to be viewed by others as merely a consumer to be plundered,
then I'm not sure I want to play here anymore.

I'm an old Boomerang beta tester and I still prefer an old beta that replaces
the SICN next to the volume name in the file boxes sort like a mini-Facade. I
never liked that Hiro took that out, and I really don't like SuperBoomerang.
Give me back the little popup!  It would pop right up at the thing I used
last, be it a file or folder.  I get none of that with SuperBoomerang.  Of
course, none of this has anything to do with the Shareware issue.

Anyone who expects people to not use a Shareware product is both deluding
themselves and making criminals.  Giving something away for free and then
demanding payment is against the law in most states.  Making unenforceable
laws is unethical and bad news, and I think _demanding_ money for Shareware is
akin to this.  You are a guest in someone's computer and you should be polite
and ask, not demand.  It just rankles me to get these dialogs boxes that spout
on like I am doing now.  Sorry.

Final words, if you have a Shareware program that you want to sell, then sell
the damn thing.  If you want to give it away, do it as Shareware.  You can
make money on it, but you have to be good.  I think anyone who creates decent
Shareware deserves everything they can get, plus some.  I just don't think
they have the right to demand it.  I would be making millions on my Shareware
if there weren't so many pirates out there among you!  ;^)  It sounds like a
stupid argument to me too.

Jon "I've never written anything as cool as Solarian" Pugh

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 16:15:01 -0500
From: rohan@euler.jsc.nasa.gov (Rick Rohan)
Subject: Summary on Ram Checker

I posted a note asking for a program to test memory.  I had mentioned
that ProVue's ram-checker (Archived as .../util/ram-checker.hqx) had
only tested the application heap.  I was not thinking, nor did I
take the time to read the instructions in the letter attached to the
hqx file (What! read instructions,...Me? :-) ).  Anyway several
people noted that if the ProVue Ram Checker is run under Finder
that it can test most of the memory (I would reason to guess that
it doesn't test memory to which the system is loaded on, but what
do you expect for nothing...).  If it is run under system 7.  I
guess you could give it a really big application size (and turn
VM off) (I havn't tried it.)

Anyway, I wasn't able to find a problem with the SIMM's I had.
Maybe they just by coincidence weren't properly seated in their
sockets (but enough to make them pass the system startup test).
Because I got no errors, I don't know if this memory tester would have
told me which SIMM was bad or not, but I guess it beats random crashes.

No other program was mentioned.

Thanks to all who responded.
Rick Rohan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 21:53 CDT
From: MDCLARK%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SunDesk to system 7

SunDesk is a shareware program.  Immedium Design (which markets this in the
U.S.) has a complete set of icons for system 7--and this is available on
America Online.  I believe that there are also some notes on adding the color
icons to individual applications.

One last note: Immedium Design is slated to release a new utility which will
automate this process and make it unnecessary to use ResEdit for this type
of bulk resource job.

To get the color icons (I assume that you mean the ic18/ic14's from your
SunDesk file) into your system 7 desktop, you need to use ResEdit to copy the
ic14/ic18's from the single file and then paste them into the individual
applications to which they belong.  Renumber your resources to match the
ICN#'s in the apps.  You can also create the small b/w and color icons
with ResEdit 2.1 by dragging the large icons into the small icon boxes.  You
will need to edit these somewhat for a more pleasing effect.  If you have
files in the cicn format, get a copy of Explode Cicn!, available through this
FTP (I think).

One other way you can get instant color is to get a document with bundle info
for particular applications.  One such freeware version is called "Icon Vaults."
Icon Vaults have the same info as the apps do, and keep the color icons
separate from the actual application.  This way, when you have to replace your
application, you won't have to reinstall color icons with ResEdit.

(I use "the same info" loosely, of course--I mean a file ref, a bundle, an
owner resource, and the icons--list, ic18, ic14, sicn, etc.)  Set the Bundle
option in the  doc if you're starting from scratch.

If there's any interest, I'll upload a sample.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 02:16 EDT
From: Joshua J Hart <STUHART%EKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 (Fact or Fiction?)

 HELLLLLP!!!
       It was just recently I seriously thought about Upgrading my "simple"
Macintosh SE to use System 7. Knowing that I Could get it from Ftp.apple.com I
promptly went into the phase of finding info on the System. I was rather
shocked! Please, kind people, help me to clear up a few misconseptions (?) I
have about System 7:

   A) If a owner of a "Lower" Macintosh (Classic,Plus,SE,SE/30,LC) is to use
      System 7, they will not gain the "Virtual Memory" and "32-Bit addressing"
      features of System 7. It takes 2 megs of RAM to *think* of running
      System 7, so a Macintosh Classic (expanded) and a Mac SE, would have 2
      of it's 4 maximum megs of RAM tied up in the system alone. Am I Correct?

   B) If this is true, this would not serve to better the machine, but rather
      to hurt the preformance of the Macintosh.

   C) With this advent of System 7, new programs which use the "Virtual Memory"
      option of System 7, would not be able to run these programs. Wouldn't
      that be really bad in light of Apple's slogan, that "It does not matter
      which Macintosh you get, because a Macintosh is a Macintosh.." It seems
      like that idea would be blown out of the water then. Does anybody think
      that the "New" versions would be very "downward" Compatible with respect
      to a system's capabilities?

     On a sidetrack... I read in InfoMac Digest V9 #121:
>From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)
>Subject: MODE32
    [Lots Deleted]
>On page 13 of "Macintosh IIcx Special Options and Technical Information", I
>found the following statement about IIcx's memory:
>1 MB RAM, expandable to 8 MB; additional expansion possible with
>greater-capacity RAM chips.

    Could the same be said for any mac when it comes to expanding RAM? Is it
possible to find "Higher Capacity" Chips and go past my present 4 Meg Celing
for RAM expansion?

    Thank you all for your time and patience...  Thank you Moderators!! :)

                               Joshua J. Hart   <STUHART@EKU.Bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 8:09:00 CDT
From: pejacoby@serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby)
Subject: System 7.0 and SuperBoomerang

In a posting NEUBURG@campus.swarthmore.edu writes:
[problems with Boomerang under 7.0]

>I just want to note that I believe that all who have paid the shareware
>fee have received (the commercial version) Super Boomerang for free.
>This seems to work under system 7, albeit with some quirks (the dialog box
>gets a bit confused).

FYI, a temporary patcher for SuperBoomerang 2.0.3 showed up on
CompuServe in the last few days.  It is supposed to fix some basic
problems with SB 2.0.3 and System 7.0.  However, it has some pretty
verbose warnings that it has _not_ been thoroughly tested by Hiro!

I haven't gotten it yet, but plan to when it shows up locally.

  Paul  (pejacoby@3m.com)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 12:04:13 GMT
From: Emmanuel CASTRO <CASTRO%FRMOP11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 ?

Hi everybody?

I just need to need a little thing.
Where can I find System 7 ?
I could not localize it on ftp.apple.com
(I use BITFTP so it's not very usefull)

Can someone help me ?
Thanks

Emmnanuel CASTRO

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 MAY 91 11:26:15 GMT
From: AEIC0456%VAX1.CENTRE.QUEENS-BELFAST.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Telnet on a Plus connected to Internet Router !

I've a IIx running Internet Router and would like to use it as a gateway
for a Plus to get at ethernet using BYU Telnet. Has any one succeeded ?
TOPS is fine between the localtalk and ethertalk zones but after about
an hour's trying I can't establish a connection to anything with Telnet
on the Plus and I'm concluding that it'll only work with Fastpaths - I'd
appreciate confirmation of this or other comments.

Many thanks, George

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 09:01 EDT
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ULKYVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Trouble with Alert XCMD from Developers 1.3r

I tried to use the Alert XCMD from the recently posted Developers Stack version
1.3r.  It loaded into my stack just fine.  Hyercard accepted the command and
everything seems dandy.  Trouble is, the dialog box isn't coming up!  If I tell
the XCMD to beep, I get a beep, but no dialog box.  This XCMD fits my needs
perfectly so i'd really like to be able to use it.

What am I doing wrong?  I'm new to this, so forgive me if this is a FAQ.

The details:  System 6.0.7, HyperCard 2.0, Mac Classic 4/40.  This problem
occurs both under Finder and MultiFinder.

Please respond directly to me.  Thanks in advance!

Mike Harpe
University of Louisville

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 2:14:36 CDT
From: Your friendly neighbourhood Lab GTA <chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu>
Subject: upgrades

Wow, not only was Aladdin (Stuffit Deluxe) the first to respond to my flurry
of "Please send me sys7 compatibility upgrade info" letters, they sent me the
latest version *free*! No $5 handling fee, even!

Now that's what I call service!

Ian Chai     Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
               Bitnet: 665instr@ukanvax

End of Info-Mac Digest