info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/01/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 31 May 91       Volume 9 : Issue 124

Today's Topics:

      3151 terminal emulation on Mac
      32-bit ROMs, here we go again....
      ???: RealTech PostScript Level 2 printer???
      anonymous FTP sites with ClipArt
      Bad Sumex File
      boomernag ditto
      Can You Copy Sys 7? Apple Prez Says "Yes"
      Color PICTs in Nisus?
      Disinfectant Init
      DISKFIT and AppleShare volumes
      Error 39
      Force Quit from the Finder
      Freedom of Press Lite
      getting sys7.0
      HC Performance
      Imagewriter Magnet Expensive Fix
      Inside Mac DA Author
      LaserWriter 6.1 question
      MODE32
      seeking Varityper Toolkit
      Shanghai and 12" color monitor
      Software Inventory?
      Suggestion for file sharing utility
      Suitcase II & Sys7.0
      Super Boomerang
      Sys 7 & Sys 6.x on the same Local Talk net
      System 7.0 and file sharing...
      System7/Jasmine Driver
      System 7 and system 6 on two partitions?
      system 7 errors
      Teleport Modem
      THINK C 5.0
      Where to get TT Init?
      Your Question: dragging objects in hypercard

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 08:50:00 +0100
From: kees@ooc.uva.nl (Kees de Ridder/Moret)
Subject: 3151 terminal emulation on Mac

Does anyone know of a package which emulates a 3151 terminal on a Mac?

Kees de Ridder
kees@ooc.uva.nl
Applelink: Hol0146

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 18:20:19 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: 32-bit ROMs, here we go again....

In the last info-mac, Murph Sewall wrote:

>Really, I didn't miss your meaning - your concerned with the IMPLICATION
>rather than the literal meaning.  OK, bye-and-bye Apple probably WILL offer
>a ROM upgrade (rumor says it's in the works and will contain bug fixes and
>numerous improvements in addition to 32-bit clean).  The ROM upgrade's price
>is VERY LIKELY to EXCEED the (mail order) price of MODE32.  Assuming MODE32
>works as advertised (and we'll hear one way or the other right here on this
>net really soon I expect), what's the beef (you'd rather have the Apple log
>on your solution even if it costs more and doesn't work any better)?

I think what bugs me the most is the lack of a policy statement from Apple.  I
wouldn't mind particularly if they said [hypothetical], "We're going to
release a ROM upgrade for the 24-bit machines in December."  ...or whenever.
Sure, that's a long wait, but at least I'll know.

What I don't like is the stony silence.  If they're going to wait until
December, I'll buy MODE32.  However, if they're coming out with it in July, I
can wait.  I'd just like to know what they're doing, so that I don't get stuck
with a $100 program that is instantly obsolete, or get stuck waiting for a
year for them to upgrade...

What we need is for them to announce their INTENTIONS!!!

Seeya,
--Mike

PS:  Is MODE32 available yet?  Anybody got it???  How about a break for owners
of Virtual?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 08:05 PDT
From: "Phil Jung.....Wherever you go, there you are. 8)" <PJUNG@scuacc.scu.edu>
Subject: ???: RealTech PostScript Level 2 printer???

There's a company called Software and Hardware that Fits out of Texas that's
selling a PostScipt level 2 printer for $1995...

What (basically) is the difference between level 2 and the old version running
in every other PS printer out there?

Is PS l2 compatible with level 1 (or whatever you call it)?
If I buy that printer, will it be compatible with existing software that
uses PostScript?

Has anyone bought or used this printer? Is it any good? It looks like the
same case as the TI MicroLaser printers...

In case you're curious, look on page 258-259 of the July 91 MacUser for their
little blurb on this printer...

I'm sure people out there are as curious as I am. It looks like a pretty good
deal, if you ask me. But then again, that's just my $0.02 worth...

Reply here, or e-mail me directly, and I'll post some results to the net...

Phil Jung, Santa Clara University (for 2 more weeks!!!)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91  11:33:04 EDT
From: "pmdmfmc" <pmdmfmc%buacca.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: anonymous FTP sites with ClipArt

Hello Out There,
   I am working on a research project this summer that will
require ClipArt
require ClipArt (color, preferably).  If anyone knows of
such FTP sites, please e-mail the address to me.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 14:43:52 -0500
From: goodman@cs.wisc.edu (James R. Goodman)
Subject: Bad Sumex File

In converting to System 7 I shot a screwy bug for several hours before
discovering that a file I downloaded from Sumex was the cause.  The
file is cdev/temperament-2.hqx.  In the package is a MSWD document,
AboutTemperament_2, that has the bundle bit set.  This can create some
weird behavior when you run Word.

jrg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 10:22:11 PDT
From: rich@vaxkiller.agi.org (Richard E. Showalter)
Subject: boomernag ditto

To those who are interested in boomerang 2.0 not super boomerang, I
have a MacII running sys7.0 and have had boomerang working just fine.
You have to put boomerang and the prefs file in the system root file,
(it does not seem to work if it is in any of the subfiles).  One
problem,  it does not work if you have 32bit addressing as we found
out on a MacII fx.  But, since I cannont use 32bit on my MacII I will
continue to enjoy boomerang.  Hope this helps someone else.

Richard Showalter
SysAdmin
rich@vaxkiller.agi.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 14:56 EST
From: AMINZADE%uvmvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Can You Copy Sys 7? Apple Prez Says "Yes"

I guess I'm not alone in wondering how legal it was to copy System 7
rather than buying a shrink-wrapped copy (sure, everyone I knew was
ftp'ing it from Apple.com, but the word from Apple execs was very
confusing...moral dillemma).

Well, this weeks PC WEEK (May 27, 1991) has an interview with Apple USA
president Bob Puette, and he is quoted as saying

       To being with, we're continuing the policy that anyone
       can copy System 7.  So one copy in a user group, and
       everyone can copy it.  One copy in a company, and
       everyone can copy it.  What you don't get in the process
       is the documentation that goes with it.

Whoops, sorry, that should read "to begin with."

Sounds pretty clear to me.  Unless he's confused too   :-)

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 91 21:45 -0500
From: "C.M. Cho" <ccho@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: Color PICTs in Nisus?

Hi, can anyone help here?
I know Nisus's graphics tools don't support color, but can the program
print an imported color PICT, either bitmapped or object? A simple 8 color
graphic won't be printed by the IW II (only the black bits are printed,
between yawning sections of white) Would a smarter printer handle the
PICT? I phoned Paragon's tech support, and was told Nisus could print out
a color PICT, but he frankly seemed uncertain about it. A decision whether
or not to spring for a color printer will be heavily influenced by the
answer.

BTW, the min. system requirement of 2Mb for System 7.0 is really misleading.
Sure, it'll work, just the same way Multifinder just barely does, but you
can't open much of anything, let alone use 'em. My dealer told me you need
at least 5Mb to get decent performance. Quite a difference between 2 and 5.

Connie K. Cho

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 8:44:38 PDT
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Disinfectant Init

I recall reading that the latest version of Disinfectant Init would work with
System 7 by placing it in the System folder, not the lower folders.  I tried
that and inserted a disk with WDEF.  It did not find it.  When I do the same
on System 6.0.7 I get a lot of beeps and a useful dialog message.  Apparently
I misread the original note for System 7.  Could someone tell me how to make
it work.  Thanks,

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 19:11:32 +0200
From: adam%TNOAL1.TNO.NL@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject: DISKFIT and AppleShare volumes

Guenther,

We are using DiskFit 2.0 and... same thing here... No way to backup
AppleShare volumes..

Regards,
Adam van Gaalen
Adam van Gaalen (adam@tnoal1.tno.nl)

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 91 15:16:10 U
From: "Glenn Fleishman" <Glenn_Fleishman@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: Error 39

                       Subject:                               Time:3:12 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Error 39                               Date:5/30/91
When trying to launch applications or open desk accessories under
System 7, I occasionally get the message "Error -39" and it won't open.
If I reboot, all is well. What's the story?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91  11:08:57 MST
From: Ben Goren <AUBXG%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Force Quit from the Finder

From: Ben Goren

You probably don't need to add a "Quit" to the Finder, as you can "Force Quit"
(cmd-opt-esc) from it. I'm not sure that the Finder stays "quitted," but it
will at least re-launch it.

b&

Ben Goren

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  31 May 91 11:04 +02:00
From: DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Freedom of Press Lite

Hi,

I need to print PS on my HP DeskWriter. I already got TScript, but it
is painfully slow and a bit hard to use with a HP DW (you have to save
the PS first and print it in a separate operation).

Anyway, I would like to try Freedom of Press Lite (i.e. the cheap version!)
Could somebody tell me if it supports HP DeskWriter? Any comments on
its speed and ease of use will be appreciated too.

Thanks

Nuzhet DALFES
Bogazici Uinversity
Istanbul, TURKIYE

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 08:26 EST
From: STEEVES%STETSON.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: getting sys7.0

>From: Emmanuel CASTRO <CASTRO%FRMOP11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject: System 7 ?
>I just need to need a little thing.
>Where can I find System 7 ?
>I could not localize it on ftp.apple.com
>Can someone help me ?

One week ago yesterday (23.5.91), against my better judgment,
I yielded to overwhelming temptation and decided to adventure into
the snares of System 7.0.  I was fascinated by the challenge of whether
an avid Mac user who is a computer clutz (I'm a history professor)
could achieve happiness in downloading something so complicated.
It took exactly one week and many fits and starts:  I started over
several times and threw many fits.
Again and again I cried out:  why doesn't anyone give complete and
clear instructions? And then when I got something to work I said,
why didn't they just say so?  In an attempt to help others I summarize
below my lessons for people who want to get system 7.0 through
BITFTP.

1.  Request System 7.0 in two steps, because only five files will
be sent on one request.
2.  Request 8 files from ftp.apple.com for system 7.
3.  BITFTP breaks 3 files into two parts.  They must be merged
before they can be unpacked.
4.  To make the received files useable, three steps must be completed:
     they must be unbinhexed--use BINHEX 4.0 (in Stuffit Classic)
     they must be unstuffed--use Stuffit Classic
     they must be unimaged--use Diskcopy
5.  Commence installation by starting up with Install.1 disk--BE SURE
DISK IS LOCKED.  Follow all instructions on screen thereafter.
I found that System 7.0 installed fine and was fully operational.

NOTES:  Here is the script to accomplish nos. 1 & 2
send it to BITNET%"BITFTP@PUCC"

FTP ftp.apple.com
USR anonymous
CD /dts/mac/system7/7.0.software/800k.images
GET install-1-image.hqx
GET install-2-image.hqx
GET install-3-image.hqx
GET disk-tools-imagel.hqx
GET font-image-hqx
GET more-tidbits-image.hqx
GET print-image.hqx
GET tidbits-image.hqx
QUIT

But remember to send it in two messages with no more than five
GET's in each.  BITFTP will inform of the changes in names
that occur in the process of downloading.  It also sends a control
file for each of the three files that it breaks up, which informs
of the identification of these.

Here is the script to get Diskcopy:

FTP ftp.apple.com
USR anonymous
CD /dts/utils
GET diskcopy-4-2-readme.txt
GET diskcopy-4-2.hqx
QUIT

After I got System 7.0 running I had great fun with it.  But soon
I became aware of why I might not stick with it.  For my purposes
it does not save time.
1.  Switching disks used to be a one-step operation on 6.0.7.  Now it
is a two-step operation:  click Desktop, select Disk.
2.  Switching applications used to be a one-step operation.  Now it is
two.  Click Icon, select application.
3.  Trashing files used to be a one-step operation.  Now it is two:  move
file to trashcan; empty trash.
4.  Printing Best quality (Imagewriter II, MSWord 4.0) takes an
eternity--or at least 5 minutes per page.
5.  Hypercard (less than 2.1) won't work with it.  I use Hypercard a
great deal and I need to use lower than 2.1.
6.  Overview won't work with it.  ditto.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 17:05:56
From: rhz@cwns4.ins.cwru.edu (Hobbes)
Subject: HC Performance

Does anyone know or have a benchmark test of Hypercard performance as the
number of cards (and/or bitmaps) increase?  I am creating a stack which
will need to handle anywhere between a couple hundred to millions of
cards/bitmaps.  If necessary, I will split it up into many stacks in order
to aid performance.

Also is there some kind of relation between the number of cards/bitmaps and
amount of disk space?

Please reply directly to rhz@po.cwru.edu
If there is interest, I will sum it up.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 11:30:45 -0400
From: bww@po.cwru.edu (Brian W. Wolf)
Subject: Imagewriter Magnet Expensive Fix

  Well, I got ahold of my apple dealer, and they told me that I could
purchase the magnet which was lost, for a mere $36.00.  This is just a little
info for anyone that was interested.>

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 1991 08:34:06 CDT
From: U49852%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Inside Mac DA Author

Does anyone know how to contact Bernard Gallet, author of the Inside Mac
DA?  I sent him the shareware fee for version 2 of this DA and have not
heard anything.  Thanks.

Gary

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 09:06 GMT
From: RLAHTINEN@uku.fi
Subject: LaserWriter 6.1 question

Hello netters!
I've a simple question. I'm using LaserWriter 6.1 and I'd like to know, how to
change paper default in the Page Setup dialog. The default is "US Letter",
but I always use "A4 Letter". I've ResEdit 2.1, but I don't know which resource
to modify and how (I feel quite novice with ResEdit). Thanks in advance!

Internet: rlahtinen@kylk36.uku.fi, BITNET: rlahtine@finkuo

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 13:35:47 CDT
From: GEOFFREY PARSONS <parsons%WKUVX1.bitnet@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: MODE32

>Apple HAS a current solution for your IIcx, it's called a IIfx upgrade,
>and they keep lowering the price (eventually you may find the upgrade
>worthwhile).

  Well it's called a IIci upgrade... You can't upgrade from a IIcx to a IIfx.

  One question -- Why did apple put a ROM SIMM slot on all the class two
macs (SE/30, II, IIx, IIcx, etc.) if they didn't intend in upgrading the ROM?

  It also seems strange to put the ROM SIMM slot on the mother board if you are
going to offer ROM "upgrades" via board swaps. Why not just leave the ROM SIMM
slot off?

  It's seems really stupid to me that my IIcx could have 128Mb on the mother
board, but my old ROMS prevent this. Just as system software has to be updated
>From time to time so do ROMs. The real reason Apple hasn't offered an upgrade
is clone fear.

  Apple, do the right thing and release new ROMs.

  BTW, what are SE/30 owners suppose to do?

  Last question -- If MODE32 is such a good solution, why didn't apple just
include such a patch in the system patches of system 7?

Geoffrey Parsons

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 13:31 EST
From: PCONTI%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: seeking Varityper Toolkit

Has anyone already downloaded from ZMac Ken Winograd's free application
Varityper Toolkit (stored in ZMac's Library 1-Applications as VARITY.SIT)?
If so, could you either submit it to the sumex archives or e-mail a copy
to me?  Thanks very much.

--Carol Conti-Entin   pconti@oberlin (bitnet); pconti@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 21:54:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nico Tjandra <nt05+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Shanghai and 12" color monitor

    I have a 12" apple monitor and shanghai 2.0. When I run it in B&W
the tiles size fit the screen perfectly. However when I choose color
tiles it goes off the screen and it is very annoying. I tried to change
it using ResEdit 2.1 but I have nolock so far. If anybody could help or
give suggestion, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Nico: nt05@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 15:00:44 CDT
From: THE GAR <GLWARNER%SAMFORD.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Software Inventory?

Does anyone know of a package that will assist in inventorying the
software on Macintoshes?  How about a package that will list a
hardware configuration to diskette?

We will be performing an inventory this summer, and need to identify
all major software packages on our computers.  Ideally, the program
would write the titles/versions/serial numbers to diskette, in records
that included a machine identifier of some sort.  We will be compiling
this data for use in a database on our mainframe.

Please let me know if you have suggestions.

I work for a non-profit organization....Price is DEFINITELY a concern.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 17:03 MST
From: "The Moderators <INFOMACR%CMSNAMES@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>" <INFOMACR%CMSNAMES@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Suggestion for file sharing utility

Here's a suggestion for a file sharing utility I'm sure many people out there
would love to use:

Place a small icon in the menu bar to indicate when somebody is connected to
the Mac. This should also be a menu which will list all the shared volumes in
use; from that a pop-up menu listing connected users. Releasing the mouse on
one of the volumes should bring up the "Sharing..." window from the finder;
releasing the mouse on one of the users should bring up a window which shows
the user name, the chooser name and AppleTalk zone (if possible), how long
that user's been on, a log file showing all activity (a la GateKeeper), a way
to send a message (if possible), and a button that will disconnect that user
with an option to not allow that user to connect again. Of course, everything
configurable (like whether or not to save the log to a text file).

Any takers?

Of course, I'd be glad to be a beta tester/consultant/whatever, and I could
handle some of the minor design problems (like creating an icon, for example).
I'd do it myself, but I've never programmed on the Mac before, and I've only
had limited programming experience otherwise.

Please let me know if you'd like to try something like this.

b&

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 10:13:02 CDT
From: hallett@positron.com (Jeff Hallett 548-5163	)
Subject: Suitcase II & Sys7.0

I am a little confused...

Since Fonts and DA's  are available immediately by dropping  them into
the System  Folder  (DA's  -> Apple  Menu folder),  why does  one need
Suitcase II?

Further, how does one make use of sounds and FKEYs? Are they available
by  just  placing them into a  special place within the System folder?
Does  the   new Finder   have  sound  hooks ala   SoundMaster (or does
SoundMaster work)?

Thanks in advance
Jeff Hallett, GEMS PET Engineering, 414/548-5163, hallett@enterprise.med.ge.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 09:05:50 SDT
From: ALexander Falk <FALK2%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Super Boomerang

Super Boomerang is now part of the "Now Utilities 2.0" package, which
also contains a couple of other neat utilities (but most of them currentlty
don't work under System 7.0: NowMenus [formerly called hierDA],
MultiMaster, ....). This software package is available through dealers
and mail-order sources.
My personal experience: since I've been using 7.0 beta versions since
last December I haven't been using any one of the Now Utilities except
Super Boomerang, which has worked remarkably well for me (the only
problems I've found so far under 7.0 are of cosmetic nature). And I, too,
wouldn't want to live without it. It's definitely worth its price and
I'm looking forward to a new version of the entire Now Utilities package
that is compatible with 7.0.
(A)(L)exander (F)alk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 09:42:12 EDT
From: berry@a.chem.upenn.edu (Donald H. Berry)
Subject: Sys 7 & Sys 6.x on the same Local Talk net

    According to the July issue of MacUser, Macs running 7.0 and 6.x
can peacefully co-exist and share the same printer (without repeated
printer restarts) by having the 6.x machine using special versions of
the Laserprep and Laserwriter files.  There are two ways to accomplish
this: (1) a special installer which can install the 7.0 driver on a
6.x system or (2) version 6.1 of the files, which can just be dropped
into the System Folder.

    The Problem: the special installer is distributed only with the
Group upgrade package, so I don't think it's available through
ftp.apple.com.  Furthermore, I've never seen a copy of Laserwriter and
Laserprep v 6.1. Version 6.02 was included as an option (in the Apple
Color folder) on the System 6.0.7 installation disks.  I tried using v
6.0.2, but the those printer restarts just keep coming.

    Does anyone know where I can get the v 6.1 or the "special"
installer?

Don Berry

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 15:42:44 PDT
From: Jesse_M._Evans.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: System 7.0 and file sharing...

Hi, folks.

	I'm now the proud owner of a IIsi and I'd like to hook up a mini-net
between it and my old Mac, which is an original 128K upgraded several times so
that it is now a 1M Mac Plus. The file-sharing capabilities of Sys7 sounds like
just the thing I need but, so far, all references I've seen to Sys7 indicate a
minimum RAM of 2M, which seems to rule out upgrading my old Mac.

	Is there a minimum configuration of Sys7 that will fit in 1M of RAM, or
is there another way of connecting these two machines?  I'm mostly interested
in sharing files without resorting to dancing the floppy shuffle.

	Although I've been reading the digest for sometime now, this is my
first post.  I'm sure there must be a Mac guru out there who can help me out.
Many thanks in advance for your efforts.

'til next we type
HAVE FUN!!	--	Jesse

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 10:04 EST
From: B_DOHERTY@cc.brynmawr.edu
Subject: System7/Jasmine Driver

Hello. This is a summary of responses I received regarding my inquiry about
trouble I was having with trying to start up my SE w/ a Jasmine hard disk
under System 7. Solution is pretty simple.

I was using driver version 1.094, current one is 1.79 and Jasmine tells me a
new one (for which they will want $20) is due out in about a week. Someone was
nice enough to send me version 1.79 of the Driveware. I now have it up and
running, and now even the used and available memory add up to an appropriate
number, though the source of this strangeness is still unknown.

Also, it should perhaps be mentioned that an installation help file I got
>From Compuserve indicates that Apple's hard disk utility should not be used
on Jasmine drives. Apparently problems can arise, I don't know the details or
the accuarcy of this but figure I'm better off that way as compared to knowing
>From experience. (To clarify, this means the hd set up program from Apple)

Also it appears that some of this info was in Macweek, regarding the need for
a more recent version of the driver.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.  --Brian  (B_Doherty@cc.BrynMawr.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 18:32:19 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: System 7 and system 6 on two partitions?

In the last info-mac, krk.wbst102a@xerox.com writes:

[about having System 6 & 7 on two different partitions]

>Problems:
>
>1.) In the Control Panel, when I select partition 1 as the "Startup
>Device" and close and reopen the Control Panel, it always goes back to both
>partitions selected.

I think this is because "Device" is more or less equal to SCSI device, so all
the mounted partitions on that drive will be the "startup device".  As for
which partition will start on a partitioned device, I'm not sure, but I think
I remember reading that the one which is alphabetically first with a system
installed will start.  I won't swear to that though.  If it's true, though,
you should be able to rename your partitions to select the boot drive (Name
the one you want to boot "A" and the other "Z", for example).  There's another
way, though, see below.

>2.) When I select partion 2/Finder in "Special Menu/Select Startup" and
>Restart, it always starts up partition 1 instead.

Select Startup under the Special Menu in the finder just selects whether the
Mac will start with Finder or Multifinder, or some app.  It doesn't select the
drive.  It says, "The next time you start with that drive, do this".

What I suggest you do is find some way to have one of your partitions NOT mount
at startup.  Then, just set the partition you want to boot from to mount, and
the other to NOT mount, and boot.  Then, you need to have a way to mount the
other partition after boot.  With SilverLining, there's a DA.  I'm not
familiar with the software you're using, so I don't know how it handles that.

Hope that's helpful!
--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 16:48:34 -0700
From: c9e-bx@volga.berkeley.edu (Timothy Suh)
Subject: system 7 errors

I have been running across some error messages and was wondering if someone
could enlighten me on their meaning.  Although somewhat better than the old
BOMB....ID=33, these new messages are still somewhat cryptic.... What do these
mean?

Error of Type 1 has occured... Type 2, Type 3
Bad F line instruction

Finally, the control-option-escape trick to exit out of hung applications
works most of the time, but for more severely stuck programs, I have found
hitting the interrupt switch and typing in G FINDER at the > prompt will
sometimes get you out of programs which the control-option-escape will not.

-tim

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 15:11 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: Teleport Modem

I'd like to thank

Steve Smith (SMITH@Uclastro.Bitnet),
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr (SNJQJR@Lsuvm.Bitnet),
Christopher Doemel (DOEMELC@Wabash.Bitnet),
Alex Daniel 'Quad' Alegado (AALEGADO@nike.calpoly.edu),
Larry Smith (LARRY@physics.ph.utexas.edu),
THOMAS_F@eldi.epfl.ch
(and all those whose messages I haven't received yet)

for having sent me information about the Teleport Modem.

It seems to be a very good modem - with MNP4, MNP5 and SendFax capability.
It operates at 2400 baud and it is controlled via the menubar, where it displays
a 'status' bar. You can tell it to show more or less info; this bar is actually
a pop-up menu, from which you can control the baud rate, compression,
error-checking, etc.

Now, the tech part: its INIT (which, in its latest version, is compatible with
System 7.0 and very stable) patches some Manager so that it'll seem to be using
one of the serial ports, so your communications programs will have no problems
recognizing it. Otherwise, it can use the Communications Toolbox.

But - a question - does using the Communications Toolbox 'create' a third 'C'
port? If this is the case, I'm going to buy it: this modem will be used as a
third modem on a BBS, and if it makes one of the serial ports 'busy', it becomes
useless.

The Teleport also has fax capability, as mentioned earlier, and faxes are sent
by the chooser, I think just 'printing' a document.

So... I think it's a wonderful modem. Unless you _must_ use your other two
serial ports... if this is the case... we'll see. I don't know yet if it's
possible.

- Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 13:13:31 CDT
From: GEOFFREY PARSONS <parsons%WKUVX1.bitnet@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: THINK C 5.0

  I have found out two things about the next release of THINK C...
    1. It will NOT support C++.
    2. Full ANSI support. (4.0 was missing some things...)

  So C++ is not in the near future of THINK C. Sorry.

Geoffrey Parsons

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  31 May 91 10:59 +02:00
From: DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Where to get TT Init?

Hi Netters,

Could somebody tell me where to get TrueType INIT? And will it work
with 6.0.5?

Thanks

Nuzhet DALFES
Bogazici University
Istanbul, TURKIYE

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 10:21:07 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Your Question: dragging objects in hypercard

You mgiht try downloading the Developer's Stack from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
There is a button called "Slider" in there which shows an approach to
doing what you want.  There's also a lot of other useful stuff.

If you can't download, e-mail me and I'll copy the script of the button
up to my mainframe and e-mail it to you.
  -- Joshua Yeidel, Academic Computing Services, Washington State University

End of Info-Mac Digest