info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/03/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  2 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 125

Today's Topics:

      [*] Murph's Vaporware column for June
      boomerang ditto
      Disinfectant Init
      DVIM72 and StyleWriter
      ethics of shareware
      FastBack II for system 7.0
      fpt/telnet from Mac (FAQ?)
      FTP by mail
      Full greek with WordPerfect
      Help (White Night & Zmodem)
      How do I unlock Hypercard 2?
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #123
      Lost test file
      MODE32 vs ROM upgrade
      Partitions with Different Operating Systems
      PowerKey on small keyboard useless?
      Running 7.0 with only 2MB - IT WORKS!
      Shareware
      Spontaneous Disk Ejection
      StyleWriter
      Sys 7 & Sys 6.x on the same Local Talk net (2 msgs)
      system 6.07 and truetype
      System 7.0 Problem
      system heap
      Trash can in System 7
      Video input to Macintosh
      Where to find good Adobe screen fonts?

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 20:39:44 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Murph's Vaporware column for June

For those of you who do not regularly check recent-files.txt, the June
column is

[archived as /info-mac/digest/vaporware-06-91.txt; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 17:30:19 EDT
From: "Joel B. Levin" <levin@bbn.com>
Subject: boomerang ditto

From: Von.Rospach@Chuq.stanford.edu <chuq@apple.com>

>Boomerang was not freeware, it was shareware. Anyone who paid their
>shareware fee was sent a copy of SuperBoomerang.

Foo.  I am happily using Boomerang 2.0B9 (admittedly on my old Mac II
and SE).  This version is explicitly declared in the HELP dialog as
*freeware* copyright 1989.  I have no idea what has been added in later
versions, but I never felt it necessary to upgrade; what I have does
just what I like.

>If you're one of those folks using the product without paying the
>appropriate fees, well, you're getting exactly what you paid for, aren't
>you? I suggest you consider doing something radical -- if Boomerang is that
>important to you, pay for the product.

Again, foo.  Flame where it is appropriate.

	/JBL

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 02:20 EDT
From: RWK@fuji.ila.com
Subject: Disinfectant Init

    Date: Thu, 30 May 91 8:44:38 PDT
    From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)

    I recall reading that the latest version of Disinfectant Init would work with
    System 7 by placing it in the System folder, not the lower folders.  I tried
    that and inserted a disk with WDEF.  It did not find it.  When I do the same
    on System 6.0.7 I get a lot of beeps and a useful dialog message.  Apparently
    I misread the original note for System 7.  Could someone tell me how to make
    it work.  Thanks,

Short answer:  There's no such thing as a WDEF virus in System 7!
That's the good news; the bad news is apparently that it won't
fix the disk for any System 6 system you happen to insert that
disk into later, and you can't clean up your disks by inserting
them anymore.

Additional info:  The WDEF virus lives in the Desktop file, and
works by maskerading as a part of the system.  In System 7, the
Desktop file is obsolete, and in fact, the replacements aren't
resource files, so WDEF viruses aren't infective in System 7.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 17:45
From: UL3Y%DKAUNI2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: DVIM72 and StyleWriter

  Has anyone tried to print OzTeX DVI-Files with DVIM72 on a
  StyleWriter? I tried to, but my system got stuck when trying
  to print the first page of my document. The StyleWriter
  made some noise as it always does when starting to print
  and then the system took a long, long break.

  My configuration: SE with Sys 6.07 (Sys 7 is not available in
  Germany at the moment.)

  I'll post a summary of the incoming information to info-mac.
  Greetings Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 9:51:09 CST
From: haidl@mercury.cs.uregina.ca (Mark Haidl)
Subject: ethics of shareware

PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov write
>Anyone who expects people to not use a Shareware product is both deluding
>themselves and making criminals.  Giving something away for free and then
>demanding payment is against the law in most states.  Making unenforceable
>laws is unethical and bad news, and I think _demanding_ money for Shareware is
>akin to this.  You are a guest in someone's computer and you should be polite
>and ask, not demand.  It just rankles me to get these dialogs boxes that spout
>on like I am doing now.  Sorry.

An individual produces something, offers you a free trial
period where you can decide whether you like it or not, and asks that at
the end of the trial period you either pay for the product or stop using
it and you are calling him deluded? This is every day human interaction and
we shouldn't even need copyright laws to force people to respect another
persons wishes with regard to their property.

A few other points you raised:
Not enforcable- it is just as enforcable as the copyright of music. Just
because alot of people copy tapes doesn't mean we should throw away copyright
laws. Even if people don't get copying tapes that often at least it is on
the public record as being against the law.

Giving away free - Shareware isn't anything like the companies who send you
an unsolicited encyclopedia and a bill. You download the file with the full
knowledge that it may be shareware.

Politeness - Yes people should be polite -- but they also must be clear about
their copyright and conditions of use. If they expect you to pay for it
or stop using after 3 months they should state this. I don't remember one
shareware notice that ever offended me.

--
haidl@mercury.cs.uregina.ca

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 16:47:05 GMT
From: lamont@convex.com (Bradley Lamont)
Subject: FastBack II for system 7.0

I seem to have another compatibility problem with system 7.0.
I can't get Fastback II to work on my SE.

Any help out there...

Thank,
Brad Lamont

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 11:04:10 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: fpt/telnet from Mac (FAQ?)

Greetings,

>I know this has been discussed a lot, but what is the best way to directly
>connect an AppleTalk network of Macs directly to Internet, for purposes of
>ftp, telnet, mail, Usenet news, etc.?  (We would also like to network our
>printers with our MIPS & SGI mainframes.)  I need to know about hardware
>(GatorBox?), software, and $.  I have the latest version of VersaTerm for the
>Mac end.  We have been using uShare for connecting to the MIPS, but performance
>and support have been less than optimal.  Also, I'm running System 7.0 (on a
>Mac+), and would like something already (/soon?) compatible.  Thanks.

I highly recommend the GatorBox.  The new CS model addresses the only
reservation I had with the old model (FLASH ROM to hold configuration data
through power losses).  I have this setup working currently under system 7.  We
use the BYU modified NCSA Telnet for Telnet and FTP service, Brown's TN3270 for
access to our IBM mainframe, MacPost for mail services (along with a smattering
of QuickMail and Microsoft Mail), and various netnews readers for NNTP (I
personally like TheNews, and when I see the new version appear on Sumex I am
going to try to convince the administrators to site license it here).  We are
sharing our LaserWriters with the various UNIX workstations and minis around
campus through Cayman's GatorPrint and they are sharing their disk space with us
via GatorShare.  Cayman technical support has never let me down, and I've tossed
them some nasty ones.  I think their network address for information is
info@cayman.com, but you can definitely get to their technical people at
support@cayman.com.  The GatorBox runs around $1700 with an educational
discount.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 09:32:18 CDT
From: earth!gwimpey@sunanton.central.sun.com (Greg Wimpey)
Subject: FTP by mail

Well, the reasons as to why BITFTP no longer works for non-BITNET users have
been covered already, so there's no need to go into that.  However, all is
not lost.

There is another ftp-by-mail site out there. The address is (drum roll, please):
			ftpmail@decwrl.dec.com
As far as I know, there are no restrictions on who may request service from
this site.  Sending a piece of mail with "help" as the first line of the body
will get you a help file.  I've used it several times, and it seems to work just
fine.

Hope this helps.

Greg Wimpey     Trinity University (alumnus) earth!gwimpey@sunanton.sun.com

Disclaimer:  Despite the address, I have NO affiliation with Sun Microsystems.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 09:20:54 -0500
From: wilson@cc.gettysburg.edu
Subject: Full greek with WordPerfect

Is anyone aware of a product that would work with WordPerfect to provide a
full Greek character set, complete with breathing marks, etc.  I think I
have seen something on this, but can't find the reference when I need it!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 14:47:00 -0400
From: LLEDUC@nickel.laurentian.ca
Subject: Help (White Night & Zmodem)

Hello fellow netters,

I've been trying to download files from a VAX 4000 to my Mac SE using Zmodem
protocol without success.  The software on the Mac is White Night 11.12 and
Zmodem (sz 4.30) for VMS by Omen Technology Product on the VAX.  As soon as I
issue the "sz" command from the VAX, I get the typical Zmodem box on the Mac
but White Night is "holding for start".  The box closes after a minute or so
and nothing is received.  My modem is a Best Data 2400.  Can anyone help me?
Please send info directly to me LLEDUC@NICKEL.LAURENTIAN.CA

Thanks.

Leo G. Leduc
Laurentian University
CANADA

------------------------------

Date: 31 May 91 14:50:00 EDT
From: "J. SCOTT WEAVER" <fweaver@bigvax.alfred.edu>
Subject: How do I unlock Hypercard 2?

I know that it is in the archive, and I meant to write it down, and if
wishes were horses ...

What is the mantra to unlock Hypercard 2?

Thanks

Scott
fweaver@bigvax.alfred.edu  (J. Scott Weaver)

------------------------------

Date: 31 May 91 20:17:20 GMT
From: lou@cs.rutgers.edu (lou)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #123

I'm confused by the recent discussion here of boomerang - the version
I have clearly says on the main help screen that "Boomerang 2.0b9 is
freeware, but is copyright 1989 by the author."  I downloaded this
version from somewhere (probably sumex) recently - say in the last
couple of months.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 14:03:20 EDT
From: Jim Kenyon <TGHVET%vm.utcs.utoronto.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Lost test file

Mark Ryman poses the question of how to recover damaged text files.  After
all the various file recovery programmes, he's still unable to recover the
file.

We have the best luck with the utility Can Opener.   Use Can Opener to open
and view the file.  Then save it.  This usually loses formatting and frills,
but it usually works when nothing else does!

Jim Kenyon [tghvet@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca
Toronto General Hospital

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 13:46 PDT
From: Tony Wong <TWONG@scuacc.scu.edu>
Subject: MODE32 vs ROM upgrade

I have a few questions about the MODE32 from Connectix.

1. Does it just "fool" the system to believe the ROM is 32 bit clean?
2. Or it actually patched the 32 bit dirty routines in the ROM?
3. How much memory space it takes?
4. Anyone have some real experience on using it?

As far as I know, the major problem of releasing ROM upgrade by Apple is the
black market of ROM.

Up to now the only effective weapon against cloning a Mac is the ROM. Any
company cloning the ROM will face legal charges from Apple. As a matter of
fact, Apple do ship ROMs as a service part, but buyers must return the original
ROM ( the ROM SIMMs ) otherwise Apple will charge an extra of about $1,000. If
the ROM upgrades can be available publicly, that may create a black market of
ROM, and give the clone makers a chance to make "ROM-less" Mac clone, and you
go out to buy the ROM. I'm not kidding, even if the ROM are hard soldered to
the PCB, people can de-solder them out.

There's rumor that Apple is working on some sort of patch, that clean up the
original ROM, but ROM upgrade will not be considered until Apple agreed to
license the ROM and created a legitimate source of ROM out there in the market.

My Mac IIx has "dirty" ROM too, but I'm not in a hurry to get the upgrade as 14
MB of memory space is more than sufficient for me. When memory protection and
pre-emtive multi-tasking are supported by new system software ( don't know
when, may be version 8.0 or 9.0 ) I will definitely upgrade the ROM.

Tony Wong
Santa Clara University

provided by new system software, ( don't know when )

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 00:53:45 EDT
From: Peter Szolovits <psz@lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Partitions with Different Operating Systems

Despite what it looks like, I think the parameter ram only remembers
the SCSI number of the startup disk, not any partition information in
it.  Therefore when you use the Startup panel to change partitions,
it's effectively a no-op.  There's an easy workaround, though.
Partitions on a single SCSI device are searched for a valid system
folder in alphabetical order.  Thus, you can just rename whichever
partition you want to start from with the earlier name.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 16:07:20 cdt
From: charles@calshp.cals.wisc.edu
Subject: PowerKey on small keyboard useless?

A friend of mine just bought a LC that came with a small keyboard, the kind
that does not have a number pad.  The power key in the center of keyboard
doesn't seem to turn on the computer at all.  Is it useless?  Is it the case
only Mac II and up respond to power key, while LC and down don't?

Charles C. Hsieh

charles@calshp.cals.wisck.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 91 08:25:38 SDT
From: ALexander Falk <FALK2%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Running 7.0 with only 2MB - IT WORKS!

  Now that there have been so many messages about 7.0 being a memory-hungry
deamon, I thought I'd tell you of some good experience I had with 7.0 under
"low memory" (i.e. "only" 2MB) conditions.

  While I've been running 7.0 since December last year on my 8MB IIx (using
various beta versions and now finally the official final version), I so far
haven't attempted to install it on my 2MB Portable (old model, no backlit
display) - until about a week ago. I didn't do any special minimum-Portable
installation, but simply copied my System Folder from the IIx to the Portable
(using File-Sharing on the IIx, of course). As a second step I removed all
non-Apple INITs and CDEVs that also eat up memory from the System, except
for this minimum set, which I wouldn't want to work without: Disinfectant,
Suitcase II, Super Boomerang, CursorAnimator, SpeedBeep 2.0, and Extensions
Manager. I also turned off file-sharing and reduced the RAM Cache to 64K.

  This resulted in 1071K available for applications (from a total of 2048K
of RAM) if I look under "About This Macintosh..." in the Apple menu. The
interesting thing about this is: when I was running 6.0.7 and had the same
set of INITs and CDEVs installed with the only addition being the Apple
TrueType INIT, I only had 950K available for applications. In other words,
AFTER UPGRADING TO SYSTEM 7.0 I NOW HAVE MORE FREE MEMORY ON MY 2MB PORTABLE!
I had never actually expected this to happen. I was more expecting to have
to give up an additional 100K to run 7.0 - a big THANK YOU to the 7.0 folks
for making this possible! This way I will certainly not switch back to 6.0.7
and can thus continue to enjoy the pleasures of 7.0 on my Protable, too.

  Someone recently was commenting about the fact that Apple says that 2MB are
required to run 7.0. As my experience demonstrates, this does NOT mean that
7.0 eats up 2MB on your Mac. It merely means that you need at least 2MB to
run an application under 7.0, because the System itself (including Finder)
will eat about 1MB (could be more or less depending on what INITs you install)
and so you will have about 1MB to run applications on a 2MB Mac. As always,
the more memory you have, the more applications you can run simultaneously....

Happy Seven-Oh-ing,

(A)(L)exander (F)alk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 10:46:55 -0600
From: wieser@acs.ucalgary.ca (Bernie Wieser)
Subject: Shareware

Reply to Jon Pugh about shareware...
>[ about non-obligatory payment, demands, and Trojan horses ]

For people who spend as much time developing applications as if they were
commercial endeavours, I see no reason why they can't demand payment for their
hard work.  If a person uses a shareware package long enough to be annoyed
by the demand messages (or achieve shutdown with nasty Trojans), they
should have considered paying the shareware fee.

>Anyone who expects people to not use a Shareware product is both deluding
>themselves and making criminals.  Giving something away for free and then
>demanding payment is against the law in most states.  Making unenforceable
>laws is unethical and bad news, and I think _demanding_ money for Shareware
>is akin to this.  You are a guest in someone's computer and you should be
>polite and ask, not demand.  It just rankles me to get these dialogs boxes
>that spout on like I am doing now.  Sorry.

I partially agree with the demand/ask argument, but generally giving someone
a whole working package and asking politely for payment doesn't work.

>Final words, if you have a Shareware program that you want to sell, then sell
>the damn thing.  If you want to give it away, do it as Shareware.  You can
>make money on it, but you have to be good.  I think anyone who creates decent
>Shareware deserves everything they can get, plus some.  I just don't think
>they have the right to demand it.  I would be making millions on my Shareware
>if there weren't so many pirates out there among you!  ;^)  It sounds like a
>stupid argument to me too.

Have you considered shareware is an alternative distribution method to that
of a commercial product?  You are not giving it away, but distributing it,
and sometimes even giving the user the opportunity to try before they buy.
Most software stores do not let you do this.  In addition, let's face it,
some smaller developers do not have the resource to market or distribute
their software in the way it deserves.  The benefits to the user are
lower prices, and test drives...

BTW:  There are nice and nasty incentives for soliciting shareware
payments.  Nice ways include disabled features, or demo copies.  Nasty
ways include Trojans (as long as they are not malicious).  People who
release applications in entirety and ask for payment should not expect
it.  Supportware (freeware, suggested donation) generally doesn't work.

(Interesting idea: support network for shareware authors, providing
ideas, incentive, guide-lines, communication...  Also providing
marketing/distribution for quality packages.  Would it work?  A huge
"club" acting on behalf of its members, co-op type stuff.  Small membership
fees and percentage of any profit from product would run it.  I think I
would join such an organization.)

PS:  The stuff I write is mine, it will always be mine, I never give it
away, and if people want to use it they must agree with my license or
conditions.  Many licenses are "payment for right of use following conditions
of owner/author".  I will stop rambling now!

Bernie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 13:27:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: KLAURENT@isdres.er.usgs.gov (Kevin Laurent)
Subject: Spontaneous Disk Ejection

Ok, here's one I've not seen before...I've got a vintage Mac II (no PMMU)
which has been working fine.  Since I installed System 7, however, it's
developed the nasty habit of spitting back out any floppy immediately
after you insert it (with no message or anything.)  It will continue to
do this from the Finder, but, if I start up another app (say MS Word) it
ejects the next disk inserted, but then accepts every subsequent disk,
both in Word and at the Finder level.

Anybody got a clue as to the possible cause for this one?

Kevin Laurent <klaurent@isdres.er.usgs.gov> ** U.S. Geological Survey

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 11:12:38 CDT
From: ECPKLINE%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: StyleWriter

<Date: Wed, 29 May 91 10:28:05 +0100
<From: reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl
<Subject: StyleWriter information wanted
<
<  I am thinking about the purchase of a StyleWriter and have some
<  questions about life expectancies:
Regarding this question. I do not know much about the stylewriter
but I have owned the HP  Deskwriter for over a year. I read an article
 in MACUSER that the styleWriter is considderably slower than the
deskwriter (May 1991). The output from the DeskWriter is also very
good. Finally, I have heard a rumor (good source) that HP has
significantly lowered the price of the DeskWriter, to under $400
(I will not guarantee that price, but I do know that the price was
lowered). The extra 60 dpi is not worth the loss of speed.
Another point, if you have enough money for a FX buy a personal
laserprinter (Apple or GCC).

Your question about print cartriges for the StypeWriter is probably
similar to the same question for the DeskWriter. There are refills
available for the HP but you should probably only refill each
cartrige once (my feeling). The cartiges only last about 300 to 400
pages. So if you are doing a great deal of output or in a shared
environment then you might consider a Personal Laserprinter (GCC.
just lowered their price to $1999).
Good Luck!

Jeff Kline (ecpkline@UMCVMB.Missouri.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 16:47:11 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL@vmtecqro.qro.itesm.mx>
Subject: Sys 7 & Sys 6.x on the same Local Talk net

On Thu, 30 May 91 09:42:12 EDT Donald H. Berry said:
>    According to the July issue of MacUser, Macs running 7.0 and 6.x
>can peacefully co-exist...
>..... (1) a special installer which can install the 7.0 driver on a
>6.x system or (2) version 6.1 of the files, which can just be dropped
>into the System Folder.
>
>    The Problem: the special installer is distributed only with the
>Group upgrade package, so I don't think it's available through
>ftp.apple.com.  Furthermore, I've never seen a copy of Laserwriter and
>Laserprep v 6.1. ...

Yes, indeed, LaserWriter 6.1 can and will coexist with other drivers
on the same net without causing constant restarts. Furthermore, it
doesn't seem to need the Laser Prep, unless you're installing it on
a LaserShare server.

Now, where to get this piece of code ? At the source, ftp.apple.com,
of course !

 827976 May 11 16:04 /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype/mac-printing-tools.hqx
 468007 May 11 16:04 /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype/personal-lw-ls-install.hqx
 405537 May 11 16:05 /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype/stylewriter-install.hqx
 665868 May 11 16:06 /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype/truetype-fonts-1-0.hqx

The driver(s) are found in mac-printing-tools.

Cheers,

Juan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 07:28:45 -0700
From: Brian Bechtel <blob@apple.com>

In comp.sys.mac.digest berry@a.chem.upenn.edu (Donald H. Berry) writes:

>    According to the July issue of MacUser, Macs running 7.0 and 6.x
>can peacefully co-exist and share the same printer (without repeated
>printer restarts) by having the 6.x machine using special versions of
>the Laserprep and Laserwriter files.  There are two ways to accomplish
>this: (1) a special installer which can install the 7.0 driver on a
>6.x system or (2) version 6.1 of the files, which can just be dropped
>into the System Folder.

>    Does anyone know where I can get the v 6.1 or the "special"
>installer?

The TrueType package includes version 6.1 of the LaserWriter driver.  The
LaserPrep file is now obsolete.

The 7.0 installer gives you the ability to install just the 7.0 drivers
when you select the "custom" options button.

Both are available from ftp.apple.com.

	/ftp/dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype

	/ftp/dts/mac/system7

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 13:09:49 EDT
From: xli%mcs.drexel.edu@ricevm1.rice.edu (Xing Li)
Subject: system 6.07 and truetype

Hi,

In the article 'Living without System 7.0' published on MacUser (June, 1991), I
learnt there is an init called TrueType INIT (Apple, free), which can be used
to get TrueType fonts in a Mac runing System 6.07.  Does anybody know where I
can get it? (I tried ftp.apple and sumex without hope).

I tested System 7.0 and really like it. However, I will keep use 6.07 for a
while ...... (-:

Thanks in advance.

xing

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 15:16:37 -1000
From: Stephen Itoga  <hpa@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 Problem

When my system loads up, I get this message saying that "A driver for the
selected appletalk connection could not be found. The built-in localtalk port
will be used instead." This happens before any of my extensions load and I never
have used appletalk before.

I FTPed the disks from ftp.apple.com. I'm running a hackintosh plus (512ke
upgraded to 4 megs and a SCSI port) and don't use appletalk. Any ideas?

Dameon Welch

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 09:49:59 PDT
From: jedavis@ucdavis.edu (James Davis)
Subject: system heap

I just looked at how much memory my newly installed sys7 is taking
up.  2.5 megs.  Thats a full meg more than I was taking up with sys6.
I assume the new system grew by that much, but my question is this?
how can apple say you can run sy7 on a machine with only 2 meg.
I cant even fit the OS in that much space, much less run other
apps.  I only started checking this after i realized i could no longer
open both Word and Excel at teh same time.  I thought 4 meg would
be enough but noooo...  Anyway the point of this post.
Since obviously sys7 CAN fit into 2meg, i must have lots of other
stuff installed. Is there a way I can find out, just exactly what
is taking up how much space in my System Heap? Since this is all
allocated at startup i think it would have to be an init that ran
before everythign else, but is there a way to check after the fact,
since even an init, wouldnt pick up MacsBug?

James Davis (jedavis@ucdavis.edu) : Computing Services, University of California

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 07:51:57 PDT
From: managan#robert#a%nersc.mfenet@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Trash can in System 7

  Thanks to Fred Hucht for submitting the ResEdit TMPLs.  The new one for
  fval allows you to specify a position for your trash can.  For a large
  monitor this is very handy.  If you put the trash in the upper right corner
  the Finder automatically moves the volume icons down out of the way! Looks
  like the Finder team really paid attention to what they were doing!
  Thanks to Fred and Apple.

  Rob Managan             (managan@llnl.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 13:57 EST
From: "Bill Doemel, Director of Computer Services" <DOEMELB%WABASH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Video input to Macintosh

Date sent:  31-MAY-1991 13:50:45
A Mac user with a IIFX, high-res color monitor has the following need:

>I have a Hitachi CCD video camera that I wish to connect to my Mac.  I wish to
>convert camera frames to arrays of numbers.  These arrays will be processed
>by the various graphics programs that I've aquired.

The July MacUser reviews video hardware and software with a bottom line:
Computer Friends ColorSnap 32+, Video-logic DVA-4000 and RasterOps
ColorBoard 364 (now RasterOps 24STV). I would be interested in users'
experiences and sources for these boards. The Video-logic is the most
expensive and provides no discount.

Please send direct to me: DoemelB@Wabash and I will summarize for digest (-

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 09:41:17 CDT
From: Rick Russell <WRUSS00@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Where to find good Adobe screen fonts?

A question about some Adobe fonts:

The situation:

I like the _pre-generated_ italic, bold, and bold-italic versions of
Times, Helvetica and Courier that come with Adobe Type Manager. I
prefer to use them to Truetype-generated or ATM-generated equivalent
versions, since the pre-generated fonts are far more readable.

The problem:

The fonts that come with ATM are only in 10 and 12 point sizes, which
doesn't provide much versatility. Presumably this was to save space on
the ATM distribution disk.

The question:

Where can I find 9, 14, 18, and 24 point pre-generated Adobe bitmapped
fonts for Times, Helvetica, and Courier? The sumex archives used to
have a lot adobe fonts; all I could find was an old Helvetica suitcase
which had 10 through 24 point sizes. No Courier, and (most
importantly) no Times. Does Adobe maintain an FTP site? Since these
fonts are publicly distributable (in their bitmap forms, anyway),
could somebody send me some?

Thanks a lot, INFO-MACers!

Rick Russell (wruss00@ricevm1.rice.edu [Internet])(WRUSS00@RICEVM1 [Bitnet])

End of Info-Mac Digest