info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/03/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  2 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 126

Today's Topics:

      [*] Julia's Dream v1.07r
      [*] SoundMover 1.7 Package: Compacted & Stuffed
      [*] Termulator - a mac terminal emulator
      A suggestion for a file sharing utility
      Boomerang and Shareware
      Compatibility between Mac CD-ROM and Sun-Sparc ?
      Couple of questions:
      Graphic Comm
      Hard drive info
      Laser printer info
      Macintosh Faxes
      MacTCP
      Networking and relational database programs...help!
      Possible bug with Type on Call
      Printing spooling and system 7
      Sys 7 & Sys 6.x on the same Local Talk net
      TrueType and 6.07
      Virtual Memory - don't be afraid if you can't use it

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 01:40:12 +0100
From: reinoud@duteca4.et.tudelft.nl (R. Lamberts)
Subject: [*] Julia's Dream v1.07r

This is Julia's Dream, a program that generates high-quality
Julia set images in real time. (A Julia set is a beautiful
fractal 'dragon', related to the Mandelbrot set.) A plain Mac II
calculates a 512 * 512 image in about 2 seconds; smaller images
even allow for animation. Just pick a parameter in the complex
plane with your mouse, and the associated Julia set pops up.

Julia's Dream uses a new algorithm, the details of which I hope
to publish as soon as possible. Julia's Dream requires at least
a 68020 and Color QuickDraw; it is free for non-commercial use.

Enjoy! I'd like to hear from you if you like Julia's Dream!

- Reinoud

[Archived as /info-mac/app/julias-dream-107.hqx; 76K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 12:41:11 PDT
From: JMUELLER%PPL.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: [*] SoundMover 1.7 Package: Compacted & Stuffed

This is the complete (unlike my previous attempted posting)
SoundMover 1.7 Package.

Enjoy.
Jim Mueller

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/sound-mover-17.hqx; 122K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 16:31:53 EDT
From: stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (James Stricherz)
Subject: [*] Termulator - a mac terminal emulator

Termulator is a terminal emulator that supports:

-scripting
-vt100 emulation [I use it with emacs on unix boxes successfully]
-xmodem, zmodem transfer protocols [but not kermit!]

It's shareware, and I got it from Genie. It's in a CompactorPro
SelfExtracting Archive.

James Stricherz
stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/termulator.hqx; 116K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91  18:33:17 MST
From: Ben Goren <AUBXG%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: A suggestion for a file sharing utility

From: Ben Goren

I sent this message a day or so ago, but somehow my return address got
garbled the first time. Regardless of what it says above, send all mail
to me at: aubxg@asuvm.inre.asu.edu or aubxg@asuacad.bitnet

Here's a suggestion for a file sharing utility I'm sure many people out there
would love to use:

Place a small icon in the menu bar to indicate when somebody is connected to
the Mac. This should also be a menu which will list all the shared volumes in
use; from that a pop-up menu listing connected users. Releasing the mouse on
one of the volumes should bring up the "Sharing..." window from the finder;
releasing the mouse on one of the users should bring up a window which shows
the user name, the chooser name and AppleTalk zone (if possible), how long
that user's been on, a log file showing all activity (a la GateKeeper), a way
to send a message (if possible), and a button that will disconnect that user
with an option to not allow that user to connect again. Of course, everything
configurable (like whether or not to save the log to a text file).

Any takers?

Of course, I'd be glad to be a beta tester/consultant/whatever, and I could
handle some of the minor design problems (like creating an icon, for example).
I'd do it myself, but I've never programmed on the Mac before, and I've only
had limited programming experience otherwise.

Please let me know if you'd like to try something like this.

b&

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 91 03:18:42 PDT
From: hayp04@csa1.lbl.gov
Subject: Boomerang and Shareware

I, Hiro Yamamoto, author of Boomerang, would like to reply to the message
by PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.go about Boomerang and Shareware.

PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov says: ----->

I disagree with Chuq about people using Boomerang without paying for it.  As a
Shareware author (I have received more checks than 5) I don't think you should
even consider releasing something as Shareware without agreeing that people
can and will use it without paying.

<-----

Please read my manual.  It does not threaten you that you have to pay $30
if you use more than 30 days, or like that.  Without manual and Help file,
you will never know that it is a shareware, and it costs $30.  Only in the
control panel, you will notice it is written by me.  I know that people
will use it without paying for it.  (But, please read below.)
I think I made my request for the shareware payments quite polite.
If you like it and think it is reasonable, please pay.  If you kindly pay me
the shareware fee, I will send you the future upgrades, so I sent Boomerang 2.1
and Super Boomerang.  And Super Boomerang has some problems with System 7,
I released Super Boomerang Fixer.
BTW, when I found a minor bug of Boomerang 2.0, I publicly
distributed Boomeranr 2.0.1 and 2.0.2, so that Boomerang will work without
problems.

He continues ---->

This is called an understanding of human nature.

<----

There is another point of view about human nature.  This is the opinion of the
author of JoliWrite, a French Musician.  In France, many commercial products are
copy protected.  That means, software publishers do no believe the honesty of
human being.  He, and at least several French people I talked with, do not
like it, hate it.  JoliWrite, a word processor which has nice features which
do not exist in commercial products, is distributed as a shareware, because
he wants to believe in human nature.  He said shareware is a battle against
the copy protection.

Continues ---->

There are two ways to "combat" this and get people to send in your
money. The first is upgrades, a proven technique, while the other is prayer,
and all I can say is that it hasn't worked for me. ;^)

<----

Boomerang 2.0 is a fully functional, not a demo, version.  I put everything
I could put in at that time (long before the Sys7 release, so I could not
make it Sys7 savvy utility.).  All reasonable requests I got during the
beta test were built in.  I tried to made it solid.  Fortunately, and somehow
surprisingly, Boomerang 2.0 was quite solid, and survived over 1 and half
years.  The review in MacWeek said it is very solid, where the commerical
product competitor compared in the same article is rated to be solid.
And, please compare Boomerang 2.0 and ShortCut 1.0.  I don't think the
equation is B2.0<<SC1.0.  To me, MacWeek and MacUser (Bobker's dozen) said
B2.0>=SC1.0.

What I want to say is, Boomerang 2.0 is not something like, "OK this is a buggy
limited version and pay me to get a stable full version".  Boomerang 2.0.*
was THE BEST VERSION I could release until the relase of Boomerang 2.1 in
Aug. 90.

AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IT WORKED FOR ME.  "IT" means shareware.  I don't
mean I got million dollars.  The golden rule, shareware payment is 1%, applied
to Boomerang as well.  But, I got registrations saying that they are satisfied
with Boomerang, with encounragements and kind words.  And those who registered
in the first several months after the shareware release did not expect much
about the upgrade service.  This is not my optimistic hope, but the truth.

Continues ---->

Anyone who expects people to not use a Shareware product is both deluding
themselves and making criminals.  Giving something away for free and then
demanding payment is against the law in most states.  Making unenforceable
laws is unethical and bad news, and I think _demanding_ money for Shareware is
akin to this.  You are a guest in someone's computer and you should be polite
and ask, not demand.  It just rankles me to get these dialogs boxes that spout
on like I am doing now.  Sorry.

<----

Please read my comments above.  I did not DEMAND any.  I did not put any
dialog DEMANDING money.  I even did not put the statement of the shareware
in the program.
I know the dialogs are annoying, and these stuffs make the program
unnecessarily larger.  I hate that, so I did not do that.
If you say that the upgrade service only to the registered users is a criminal,
then yes I am a bad criminal.  But, with the help of the shareware
payments, I could make the upgrade.  I could fix a really tough bug
which showed up only on special hardware configurations.  I could test
Boomerang with more programs than I can usually access.  These tests made me
possible to release more stable Boomerant 2.0.2, which is publicly distributed.
One problem of shareware is, when the user had any trouble or question or
whatever, it is hard to communicate with the author.  I made it clear where
to contact, phone, FAX and E-mail.  When I got a phone call in my home answer
machine, I called back even if it was from a foregin country.  When I got a
mail asking questions, I replied asap.
I did these regardless if he/she is a registered user or not.
All these were possible with the help of registered users.  I sent them
Boomeranr 2.1 and Super Boomerang, and I did not distribute these version
in public.  Am I a criminal, do I have to go to the police station ?

Final words come here --->

Final words, if you have a Shareware program that you want to sell, then sell
the damn thing.  If you want to give it away, do it as Shareware.  You can
make money on it, but you have to be good.  I think anyone who creates decent
Shareware deserves everything they can get, plus some.  I just don't think
they have the right to demand it.  I would be making millions on my Shareware
if there weren't so many pirates out there among you!  ;^)  It sounds like a
stupid argument to me too.

<----

Please, please read and understand what the author of JoliWrite says.  Only
word I would like to add is, I am very happy that I did release Boomerang as
a shareware.

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 91 23:40:31 +0200
From: "Pol A. JAMAGNE (LEMA - Universite de Liege)" <U517101%BLIULG11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Compatibility between Mac CD-ROM and Sun-Sparc ?

Does anybody knows if it is possible to use a Macintosh CD-ROM with a
Sun Sparc Workstation or a Sun CD-ROM with a Macintosh ?

Pol A. JAMAGNE - LEMA-ULG (U517101@BLIULG11)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 10:27:41 -0600
From: wieser@acs.ucalgary.ca (Bernie Wieser)
Subject: Couple of questions:

I have a lot of small questions to which e-mail response is appreciated;

1) I need comprehensive information on SLIP client/servers for Macintosh and
   (GASP) PCs, especially where they are available from.  My overall goal is
   to try and connect a lab I work in to the local internet mail system.
   References to articles are also appreciated.  (The other goal is to use
   X windows remotely on a PC).
2) Has anyone noticed that the PICT code for frameRect under system 7.0,
   when used in a dialogue, is filled in?  This should not happen.
3) A person who pays me $ complained that macro-maker is no longer supported
   under system 7.0.  Is this true?  (I never used it myself.)
4) When is Apple coming out with an international keyboard map fix (and
   will it be posted?)
5) Is MCN actually worth joining?

Thanks in advance.  Bernie

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 91 21:35:14 +0200
From: kobi@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il (sambrano Kobi)
Subject: Graphic Comm

Hello Netters!

I'm looking for a communications software which will allow a graphic mode,
like the one in SmartCom II. Any takers?

kobi@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 16:54:44 EDT
From: jyoo@elbereth.rutgers.edu (J-S Yoo)
Subject: Hard drive info

Hi again,
	What does it mean that Brand A hard drive uses Quantum (drive)
mechanism?  Who makes the hard drive, the product I'll receive when I buy?
If the drives have the same (Quantum) mechanism, why are there difference
of several megabytes in capacity and several hundred dollars in price?
A salesperson told me that Quantum 105 is the one being supplied by Apple.
Any comments?  There are Quntum 105 and Quantum 105 LPS.  Except the price,
what is the difference between them?  Finally I opt for external hard drive.
What are the advantage and disadvantage of having an internal hard drive?
The one difficulty that pops into my mind is the installation for the inter-
nal drive.  Any comments?
	Thank you and be advised that I used the name Quantum as an specific
example.  Please e-mail your response.
--

p.s. Do you have a recommendation on specific hard drive mail-order firm?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 15:56:58 EDT
From: jyoo@elbereth.rutgers.edu (J-S Yoo)
Subject: Laser printer info

Hi,
	We're in the market for the laser printer, so your inputs will
be greatly appreciated.
	Basically we're looking for something comparable to Apple's
LaserWriter IINT: lower priced one with similar capability or similarly
priced one with better capability.
	We saw good reviews about TI MicroLaser and QMS PS 410 (turbo?).
Do you have any experiences with these printers?  Even after counting
Apple's educational discount, Apple's is a good several hundred dollars
pricier.
	Thank you and please e-mail
--

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Jun 91 08:00:46 +0300
From: "David L. Hirschberg" <BNHIRSCH%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintosh Faxes

Dear Netters,

I would like to get more information about computer faxes and their software.
Our department currently has a stand alone fax machine.  What we would
like to do is get a computer fax that could send out our fascimiles at night
when the rates are cheaper in Israel.  The problem is that most of the
people in out department send fascimiles that are hand written or at least
signed.  If we bought a computer fax, would it be possible to send all
the non-computer generated faxes to the mac and then send them out
with the computer fax at night?  I would like to hear from someone who
is  doing this or has  a better solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

David

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 91 10:58:52 CDT
From: ECPKLINE%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MacTCP

Hello Netters, I have a few questions about MacTCP.
    --First can MacTCP be used by a single-user, at home using
    __a standard 2400 baud modem. I am running a Mac SE, 2.5megs
    --SYS 7 (Yay! 7.0), and Kermit software. Or, does MacTCP
    --require a network environment?

    --How does MacTCP work?

I am already aware of how to get the software, through apple. I was
hoping to get my university to buy a site liscense or somesuch, but
I will not bother if it can only be used through a network environment
or if it cannot be used by me at home.

Thanks in advance. Please e-mail direct, I will summarize.

Jeff Kline (ecpkline@UMCVMB.Missouri.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 91 19:01 EDT
From: DRBH@db1.cc.rochester.edu
Subject: Networking and relational database programs...help!

I recently networked two Macs in my lab and one in my office via a TOPS system.

The major motivation for the network was to permit all of us to have access to
the same database of bacterial strains and plasmids, and to avoid the problem of
duplicate but non-identical copies of the database files.
I now have discovefred that my program, REFLEX PLUS from BORLAND does not
permit files to be opened over the network.  I have been told by one
company that in order to use a relational database in the way that I need
that I will have to dedicatge one computer exclusively as a server for
that database management program.  Obviously that is absurd for a 3
computer network.
Does anyhbody know of any relational database program that will allow
the files to be opened, searched, and modified over the TOPS network?
There is no need for more than one node to have access at the same time,
in fact that would not even be very desirable.  I understand that I can
solve the problem by using a flat-file database, but that will not
really meet my needs.
Thanks.  Barry Hall

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1991 19:45:40 -0600
From: djsx@midway.uchicago.edu
Subject: Possible bug with Type on Call

I just received my copy of the Adobe Type on Call CD and am very much
pleased with it, although it takes a loooong time for the printer font
partition to mount and open (must be due to the encryption). I noticed
a minor but irritating problem, though. I replaced my copy of ATM 1.2
with ATM 2.0 from the CD-ROM, and copied the Type on Call init to my
system folder. I registered my disk and claimed my two free font packages
with no problem. Then I opened MS Word 4.0 and tried to use my new fonts
only to encounter the jaggies! Rebooting several times did nothing, until
I noticed that the Type on Call icon appeared during startup, and the
icon for ATM did not! I then surmised that if I changed the name of Type on

Call, things might work. Thus I added a tilde before the name "Type on
Call"
(a la ~ATM) and rebooted. This time ~ATM _did_ load, followed by Type on
Call. Peace finally reigns (for the moment).

This happens with both system 6.0.5 and 6.0.7; I will check this with 7.0
in a few minutes and add a follow-up to this post.

If ATM loads before TOC, everything is fine; if TOC loads before ATM, ATM
does _not_ load at startup. Is this a bug, a quirk with my machine, or
something already known by the high exalted postscript priests at Adobe?

I am using a Mac IIci with 4M memory, systems 6 & 7, Gatekeeper and a
couple
of other inits (one being TOPS, which the manual says must load first, if I
remember right (the manual is at home)). If anyone else notices this please
post, else send e-mail to tell me that I am crazy! More later...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Jun 91 14:46:08 -0400
From: kroch@change.ling.upenn.edu
Subject: Printing spooling and system 7

I have been happily using the multispool init to spool to my deskwriter under
system 6.  As far as I can tell, it won't work under system 7. Is there a
utility that does print spooling available that runs under system 7?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 12:09:47 EDT
From: phssra@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)
Subject: Sys 7 & Sys 6.x on the same Local Talk net

> According to the July issue of MacUser, Macs running 7.0 and 6.x
> can peacefully co-exist and share the same printer (without repeated
> printer restarts) by having the 6.x machine using special versions of
> the Laserprep and Laserwriter files....
> The Problem: the special installer is distributed only with the
> Group upgrade package, so I don't think it's available through
> ftp.apple.com.

Maybe I'm speaking too soon, but just yesterday I went around to all of
our Macs and installed the System 7 printer stuff on them.  I just used
the installer that came on the Printing disk, and it appears to have
upgraded LaserWriter, PrintMonitor, and Backgrounder, and removed
LaserPrep.  I'm not sure what other changes (if any) it made, e.g. to
the System.  So far, everybody seems to be printing just fine.  The
Caveat:  noone has upgraded to System 7 yet, we are running various
releases of System 6.0.x.

By the way, we have had a couple of application-specific problems:
SuperPaint 2.0 seems to have trouble printing with the new driver, and
equations created by MathType (2.0.6, I believe) and pasted into Word
are squeezed or omitted if they are on the first page.  Does anyone
have any suggestions for work-arounds?

Scott Robert Anderson
phssra@emoryu1.{cc.emory.edu,bitnet}
gatech!emoryu1!phssra

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 14:43:33 EDT
From: xli%mcs.drexel.edu@ricevm1.rice.edu (Xing Li)
Subject: TrueType and 6.07

Hi,

	I posted a question yesterday and asked how to get TrueType INIT in
order to use TrueType fonts in a Mac running system 6.07.  The following is
the answer.

I got the TrueType INIT from ftp.apple.com in the directory
"/dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype", which contains the following files

	mac-printing-tools.hqx
	personal-lw-ls-install.hqx
	stylewriter-install.hqx
	truetype-fonts-1-0.hqx

The TrueType INIT is hidden in "personal-lw-ls-install.hqx" and
"stylewriter-install.hqx".

I installed the INIT and the "truetype-fonts-1-0" in a MacPlus with 2.5 Mb RAM
running 6.07. It works great.

Xing

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 91 08:47:21 SDT
From: ALexander Falk <FALK2%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Virtual Memory - don't be afraid if you can't use it

  Someone recently expressed his concern that there will be some future
applications that might require virtual memory and will thus not run on a
Mac Plus, Classic, SE, Portable, II, or LC. While it is true that you need
either a 68030 processor or a combination of 68020 processor and 68551 PMMU
(paged memory management unit) to be able to use virtual memory (i.e. you
need to be the proud owner of a IIx, IIcx, IIci, IIsi, IIfx, or SE/30),
the virtual memory technique is competely handled by System 7.0 and requires
no interaction by the application program. In other words, if you have set up
virtual memory to use 12MB of your hard disk as memory (let's say you "only"
have 5MB of real memory), all the applications on your Mac will be tricked to
think that you actually have 12MB of memory. If we suppose that your System
needs 1.5MB, you have 10.5MB available for applications and can now either set
the memory size of one big application to 10MB (e.g. Mathematica or some
memory-hungry ray-tracing 3D package) in the "Get Info" box in the Finder, or
you can open multiple smaller applications (e.g. MS Word, MacDraw II, Excel,
etc.). No matter which way you choose, none of the applications will ever need
to know that you only have 5MB of real memory and the rest comes from the hard
disk. Moreover, the applications don't have to be rewritten or upgraded to
support virtual memory. As a result, there will be NO future application that
will REQUIRE virtual memory in order to run! There might, I should add, be
some applications that will eventually require 8MB to run, but they certainly
will not care if it is real or virtual memory that they get to use...

  Oh, by the way, some applications (e.g. hard disk utilities or some backup
software, which directly use the SCSI Manager) might actually not be compatible
with virtual memory and will need to be upgraded, but they, too, will certainly
never require virtual memory to run!

(A)(L)exander (F)alk

------------------------------

Date: 01 Jun 91 12:23:23 UT
From: J.COOK@ens.prime.com

I've run the compatibility checker, but it did not check the rev of my disk
driver utility - probably no information was available when it was put
together.

MacWeek did publish a couple articles (30-Apr-91 and 7-May-91) on System 7
and third-party disk driver compatibility.  A number of people asked about
these articles, but there have not been any responses, so I thought I'd post
an excerpt - the two compatibility tables.  As this is a brief excerpt, this
should be legitimate with regard to copyright laws.

Neither I, nor Prime, nor Apple, nor MacWeek makes any claims regarding the
accuracy of the following information nor are we responsible for any errors,
typographic or otherwise.  For up to date copies of the drivers, see your
drive salesperson or the manufacturer.  Please don't send email to me - I don't
know any more than what you see here.

Important:  See notes and asterisk (*) explanations at the bottom.

Drive vendor: Alliance Peripheral Systems
Current Utility Version: Alliance Power Tools 1.13
Required for System 7: 1.1 or later
Required for full VM: 2.0 ***
Upgrade Cost: Not set

Drive vendor: Club Mac
Current Utility Version: SCSI Director 1.72
Required for System 7: 1.65 or later
Required for full VM: 1.65 or later
Upgrade Cost: $10

Drive vendor: CMS Enhancements
Current Utility Version: CMS SCSI Utilities 6.0.4
Required for System 7: 6.0 or later
Required for full VM: 6.1 ***
Upgrade Cost: free or $25

Drive vendor: DJK Development
Current Utility Version: SCSI Director Professional 1.7.2
Required for System 7: SDSI Director 1.6 or later
Required for full VM: 1.6 or later
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: Ehman
Current Utility Version: DHH Formatter 3.27
Required for System 7: 3.0 or later
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: not set

Drive vendor: GCC Technologies
Current Utility Version: Drive Manager 6.3
Required for System 7: 7.0 ***
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: HDI/Wholesale 54
Current Utility Version: Disk Manager Mac 2.25
Required for System 7: 2.24
Required for full VM: 2.24
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: Jasmine Technologies
Current Utility Version: DriveWare 1.79
Required for System 7: 1.77 or later
Required for full VM: 1.77 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: La Cie
Current Utility Version: Silverlining 5.28
Required for System 7: 5.27 (5.3 *** recommended)
Required for full VM: 5.3 **
Upgrade Cost: $25 - $50 ****

Drive vendor: Liberty
Current Utility Version: FormatterOne v. 3.27 *****
Required for System 7: 3.27 *****
Required for full VM: 3.4 **
Upgrade Cost: Free or $20

Drive vendor: Mass Microsystems
Current Utility Version: PadLock 2.85
Required for System 7: 2.7 or later
Required for full VM: 2.7 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: MicroNet Technology
Current Utility Version: MicroNet SCSI Utility 5.0.8
Required for System 7: 5.0 or later
Required for full VM: 5.0 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Microtech International
Current Utility Version: Microtech Utilities 3.27
Required for System 7: 3.0 or later
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: free or $10

Drive vendor: Mirror Technologies
Current Utility Version: MediaManager 2.04
Required for System 7: 1.36 or later
Required for full VM: still testing
Upgrade Cost: free if req.

Drive vendor: Optima
Current Utility Version: DiskMount 2.4
Required for System 7: 2.4
Required for full VM: 2.4
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: Peripheral Land
Current Utility Version: Formatter 3.1
Required for System 7: 3.1
Required for full VM: 3.1
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Relax
Current Utility Version: Relax Installer 1.11
Required for System 7: Testing incomplete
Required for full VM: Testing incomplete
Upgrade Cost: Free

Drive vendor: Rodime Systems (also see below)
Current Utility Version: Rodime Driver Utility 2.2.1
Required for System 7: 2.1 or later
Required for full VM: 2.1 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Rodime Systems (also see above)
Current Utility Version: Cobra Driver Utility 1.1.4
Required for System 7: 1.1.0 or later
Required for full VM: 1.1.0 or later
Upgrade Cost: free

Drive vendor: Software Architects
Current Utility Version: FormatterOne 3.29
Required for System 7: 3.0 or later
Required for full VM: 3.4 ***
Upgrade Cost: $20 - $40

Drive vendor: Storage Dimensions
Current Utility Version: MacinStor Installer 3.01
Required for System 7: 3.01 or later
Required for full VM: 3.01 or later
Upgrade Cost: Free or $15

Drive vendor: SuperMac
Current Utility Version: Manager 4.1.3
Required for System 7: 3.26 and later ****
Required for full VM: 4.2 **
Upgrade Cost: Free or $20

Drive vendor: Third Wave
Current Utility Version: Disk Manager Mac 2.24
Required for System 7: 2.24
Required for full VM: 2.24
Upgrade Cost: Free

NOTES:
"Required for full VM" - In some cases drivers support virtual memory use,
                         but installer utility cannot be used while virtual
                         memory is on.

"Upgrade cost" - Price depends on which version the user currently owns,
                 whether a manual is included, and whether the upgrade is
                 downloaded or mailed.

*** - Scheduled for release in near future.

**** - "Mostly compatible," according to SuperMac.

***** - Liberty Utility discontinued; not compatible.

End of Info-Mac Digest