info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/06/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed,  5 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 128

Today's Topics:

      [*] TidBITS#64/03-Jun-91
      A bit more on Shareware
      Boomerang and SuperBoomerang
      Botany Taxonomy dictionary
      C++
      CD-ROM Drives
      Command-Option-E-E
      erratic mouse again
      Erratic mouse problem
      EtherNet & LaserWiter NTX
      FBBS
      FM Pro question Info-Mac
      getting system 7 error
      Hi netters,
      Hypercard 2.1
      invsible file and folder on disk
      looking for chemistry software
      MacroMaker and System 7
      MandelZot 3.0.2 docs
      MODE32 vs ROM upgrade
      Network printing under A/UX
      Nisus Demo Version?
      Pacific MacPage Problems
      Partitions with Different Operating Systems
      PowerKey on small keyboards useless?
      Quota 2.0 ?
      System 7: File Sharing error
      System 7: Zapping PRAM, Inside Mac
      Think C and IM VI headers and Finder Window titles...
      Think C database objects
      Translation of Other Vector Formats into PICT
      TrueType Support on Deskwriter
      X windows for Mac?

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 22:32:36 GMT
From: ace@tidbits.ithaca.ny.us (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: [*] TidBITS#64/03-Jun-91

Index of TidBITS#64/03-Jun-91
Reviews/03-Jun-91

MailBITS/03-Jun-91 - A good experience with QMS tech
support.

Claris Upgrades - All about Claris's new products and
upgrades for System 7, including the scoop on
HyperCard 2.1 (the version that comes with the Apple
upgrade is NOT crippled, it just has a low user
level).

Wireless Network News - Several different bits on new
wireless networking schemes.

More from the Mine - A new version of the Gold Brick
3-D interface controller and Mandala, a virtual
controller for virtual reality.

Help Systems - Help! from Technosys is a new
application that might make your life easier by
finding Mac problems and suggesting solutions.

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-64.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: 03 Jun 91 21:17 GMT
From: JONPUGH@applelink.apple.com (Pugh, Jon,VCA)
Subject: A bit more on Shareware

I would like to thank Hiro for his comments AND for his Shareware efforts.  It
seems I was sucessful in getting some discussions going that did not involve
System 7, unfortunately it also seems like some people may be getting
emotional.  That is real easy to do in this forum since there are no subtle
verbal and body language signals to read.

Thus, I think it is necessary for me to point out that I WAS NOT blasting
Boomerang or Hiro for being Shareware.  I commend his efforts and think
Boomerang has to be one of the greatest Shareware/Freeware products ever
released.  There are others out now and I hope that there will be more in the
future.

What set me off (if you can even really call it that ;^) was Chuq getting a bit
huffy about people asking for a System 7 fix for Boomerang.  He made some
remarks to the effect that these people had stolen Boomerang and were now
getting their just desserts.  I just don't think they are criminals for using
Shareware and not playing for it. I think they are tightwads, but I also think
that we all are to some degree.

Hiro made the essential point in his post.  Shareware is an alternate release
method that is based on trust and honor.  It doesn't assume that people are
evil nasty slime.  It puts power into the hands of everyone, regardless of
whether they can afford it.  Shareware is good and we all know it.

All I am saying is that I think it is unreasonable to DEMAND payment and call
people thieves if they ignore you.  If you are worried about people using your
software without paying for it, then DO NOT release it as Shareware.  If you
are interested in helping mankind (at least the Macintosh using subset) then
please, release your program as Shareware.  If people don't pay though, it is
not because they are thieves.  It might be that your program sucks.  ;^) I can
generally tell when a programmer is more concerned with making money than
writing a decent program.  They tend to have the more demanding about boxes and
crummier programs.  They also tend to get tossed into the Trash quickly.
Boomerang falls into neither of these catagories.

I did not mean to blast Boomerang at all.  I have used it for years and have
grown dependant on it.  As my wife points out, the fact that it broke with
System 7 is going to make everyone realize just how important it is to them and
will probably increase sales.  I bought the Now Utilites some time ago and
tried SuperBoomerang, but I liked the look and feel of the original better.
That was all that my criticism of Boomerang entailed.

I do so love to get religious wars going.  ;^)

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 07:44:38 EDT
From: JBUTLER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Boomerang and SuperBoomerang

Thanks for Hiro Yamamoto's delightfully sane message regarding Boomerang.  One
question.  Do users still acquiring and registering Boomerang with the $30
shareware fee still get an upgrade to SuperBoomerang, or has that been
discontinued since the latter was incorporated into Now Utilities?  And one
extra question:  if the latter is true, when will Now Utilities release a Sys7
compatible version?

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jun 91 10:23:00 PDT
From: "DOUG NOMURA" <nomura@cellbio.stanford.edu>
Subject: Botany Taxonomy dictionary

Hi all:

Does anyone know of a Botany taxonomy dictionary or
spell checker compatible with MS Word 4.0?  I am interested in
the genus and species name of north american plants.

Thanks.

Doug

------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 14:00 PDT
From: I AM CatMUG <NELSON%catlin.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: C++

        Is there a C++ for the Mac? How much, by who, etc...

Russ Nelson
Nelson@Catlin.Bitnet

P.S. Do they offer a discount to schools?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1991 15:38 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: CD-ROM Drives

I would like to compile a listing of CD-ROM drives, then I'll post it here.
So, if you have a CD drive or if you use one, please send me a message with your
thoughts about it.
I'd also like to know, if it's possible, something tech, like average access
time or seek time, whether it has internal SCSI termination, if it has an
international power supply (120 <-> 220 V), etc...

Thank you very much,
- Alberto Ricci - FRicci@polito.it

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 22:37:35 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Command-Option-E-E

Command-Option-E-E used to eject a disk from a drive and clear its
image from the desktop. Now that doesn't work in System 7. A weird thing
does, though. Sometimes, I think with blank disks, when you Command-E
eject them, it asks you to put the disk back in, and if you type
Command-. (fullstop, period), the disk is taken off the desktop. But
not with all disks. Anyone know the scoop?

Someone com0lained that switching disks used to be a one-step operation in
6.0.x, but that now you had to click desktop, then the disk. This
really isn't so bad. Command-D will get you the desktop, and typing your
name or letter gets you the volumes, plus any aliases or other
objects you have on EITHER volume on the desktop.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 13:20:42 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: erratic mouse again

>Subject: Erratic mouse problem
>
>The mouse on my Mac SE behaves erratically on more or less regular basis.
>The behavior is typical as when mouse is moved when system is busy doing
>something.  However, I observe this having just Finder or word-processor
>like WriteNow open.  I can't figure out what is going on.  It used to occur
>at more or less regular intervals regardless what I was doing.  After
>replacing MediaManagerInit (Mirror's init to mount Syquest cartridges) with
>R45 Init (equivalent software from Microtech), thismouse behavior is
>triggered by pressing command or option key and it continues until the
>mouse is clicked (before, things would return to normal after a few secs).
>Actually, about the   time    I replaced that INIT I upgraded system software
>from 6.0.3 to 6.0.5, so I can't be 100% sure what changed the behavior.
>I have several other inits and cdevs, like After Dark, DiskExpress, Vaccine,
>Disinfectant Init, Capture, SuperClock, Suitcase, OnCue, and more.
>Does anybody has any ideas?

I have posted the above yesterday.  Afterwards, I spend the whole night
trying to figure out something on my own.  I don't think that any INIT has
anything to do with the mouse behavior.  I tried a plain vanilla system 7
on that SE and the mouse does the same.  This system had only Apple software
installed.  I also tried to run only hard and only the removable.  No dice.
Actually, it is command, option, as well as SHIFT key that trigger erratic
behavior.  It goes away on its own after several seconds or when mouse is
clicked.  Just in case, I zapped PRAM, but didn't change anything either.
The last thing that I need to check is to replace my Datadesk 101 keyboard
with another one.  If this is not it, I am out of ideas...  I should mention
that the problem appeared at some time several weeks ago, but I can't trace
any connection to anything.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 00:05:17 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: Erratic mouse problem

Date: 5 Jun 1991 10:33:51 EDT
From: Doug Berry <DBERRY%UMAB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: EtherNet & LaserWiter NTX

Dear Fellow Netters:

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I am interested in
learning how to connect a LaserWriter NTX (or a Personal LaserWriter SC)
to EtherNet.  I currently have a LocalTalk LAN, and am bringing 5 of these
machines up on EtherNet (using EtherTalk NuBus boards) for other reasons.  Is
there any way to connect these machines to the LaserWriter without having to
continuously change back to the LocalTalk network (via the Network cdev)?
Please send responses to dberry@umab.umd.edu.  If there is interest, I will
summarize here.  Thanks.

Doug Berry
University of Maryland at Baltimore

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 4 June 1991 11:11pm CT
From: PSmith@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: FBBS

     I am trying to get more information on the BBS package FBBS,
written by Fernando Borcel.  I have version .90, but would be
interested in acquiring later versions of this package.  Can anyone
supply the telephone number for his BBS, or numbers of boards running
this software?
     Thanks.

Pete Smith (PSMITH@UTXVM.BITNET)
Univ. of Texas

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 91 12:18:53 EDT
From: Kathy S Brown <KATHY@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: FM Pro question Info-Mac

Steve Jordi asked... about FileMaker Pro...
> have 670 records in my database. Each record has a field "Data Number". It is
>actually numbered 1, 2, ..., 669, 670. I want them to be numbered in a
>different way, with a step for example (5, 10, 15, ..., 1015, 1020, ..). Is
>it possible to AUTOMATICALY renumber each record ?

Well I don't know of an auto. way, but one could create a calculated field
that = data number * 5.
After all records have had new field calculated, go back to field definition
and change the field type from calculated, to number.  If you no longer need
the original data number delete the field and nename fields as desired.

Hope this makes sense & addresses your question as I interpreted it.
Kathy Brown, Computing & Info Services, Brown University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 07:46 EST
From: STEEVES%STETSON.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: getting system 7 error

It has been pointed out that there was one
mistake in my script for getting sys7
via BITFTP (digest 124)

wrong:  GET disk-tools-imagel.hqx
correct:  GET disk-tools-image.hqx

Thanks for correction.  Thanks also to all who
have written with both appreciation or flames.
Following the advice of the latest Macuser, I
have given up on system 7 until a later version
comes along.  It really is a drag--that is,
everything takes longer to do than on 6.0.x.
The final straw was when I discovered that
one cannot print the open window--the old
Shift-Command-4--which I use a lot.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jun 91 20:36:48
From: Thierry Jurand <Thierry_Jurand.BART@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
Subject: Hi netters,

Hi netters,

This submissions is about using TrueType#170#, Bitmapped and Adobe#170# Fonts and
System
6.07:
(i) What do we need in order to be able to use TrueType#170# fonts with 6.07? In
particular, do we need the INIT TrueType ?. If Yes, why is it only on the
StyleWriter Diskette on bric-a-brac.apple.com?
(ii) Which is better to use for BitMapped Fonts and TrueType#170# between putting
them
into the System File via the Font/DA Mover, OR, using Suitcase#170# 1.2.9? Pros and
cons?
(iii) What is the final word for upward and downward compatibility of
LaserWriter
drivers on a network (i.e. not having to reinitialize the printer when using
different versions on the same network)? I am referring to versions 5.2, 6.0.1,
6.0.2, 6.1 and 7.0.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Thierry Jurand
jurand@ece.drexel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 16:12:41 EDT
From: "Michael J. Tarr" <tarr-michael@cs.yale.edu>
Subject: Hypercard 2.1

I realize that Hypercard 2.1 comes with the System 7.0 upgrade kit, however
I obtained 7.0 from ftp.apple.com. So far as I know, Mark has not posted
HC 2.1 to this ftp site. Local dealers say they are not allowed to let me
copy HC 2.1, so how is a person supposed to get a copy legally (other
than buying the upgrade kit)?

Mike Tarr, Department of Psychology, Yale University, tarr@cs.yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 09:52:09
From: rhz@cwns4.ins.cwru.edu (Hobbes)
Subject: invsible file and folder on disk

Recently, I ran ResEdit to look at a file and sitting on the top level of
the hard disk (not the desktop), there was a hidden file and a hidden
folder, and I was wondering if they were part of system 7 or if something
else put it there.

The folder is named ***Move&Rename, where * is the empty square (unknown
character).  The file was: AppleShare PDS.

Anyone have any ideas as to their function?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 00:02:47 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: looking for chemistry software

I have found HyperChem LabDrawer and Chemical Menagerie on America Online.
Does anybody know if they can be found anywhere on Internet or Bitnet?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 05:13:38 CST
From: C30008AB%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MacroMaker and System 7

ARRGH!!!  Around here we depend on MacroMaker.  Now we update to 7.0 and find
MacroMaker is incompatible--AND APPLE ISN'T SUPPLYING A REPLACEMENT?

Has anyone heard if a MacroMaker update is in the works?  I can't afford a
commercial macro program right now.  Sigh....

Scott Jeynes, Washington University

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1991 19:41:40 EDT
From: RICH@suhep.phy.syr.edu (Richard S. Holmes)
Subject: MandelZot 3.0.2 docs

Has anyone succeeded in reading the documentation for MandelZot 3.0.2, posted
in the Info-Mac archives?  It's a MacWrite document.  My (old) copy of MacWrite
crashes when trying to read it, and Microsoft Word 4.0 gives me a
quasi-infinite number of "error, part of file will be ignored" messages.  I had
no trouble with the docs for an earlier version of MandelZot.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1991 07:08:38 GMT
From: johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson)
Subject: MODE32 vs ROM upgrade

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:
>Up to now the only effective weapon against cloning a Mac is the ROM. Any
>company cloning the ROM will face legal charges from Apple. As a matter of
>fact, Apple do ship ROMs as a service part, but buyers must return the original
>ROM ( the ROM SIMMs ) otherwise Apple will charge an extra of about $1,000.

I could live with returning my 32-bit-dirty ROM to Apple if that's what they
are concerned about.  How would that be any different from when the ROM is
replaced "as a service part"?  (Of course, after all this frustration, I'd
probably return the dirty ROM in pieces after having jumped up-and-down on
it several times :-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 16:45:45 EDT
From: "Mark A. Steggert" <masst9@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: Network printing under A/UX

  Greetings. I would appreciate assistance in order to locate the cause of
of an A/UX system console warning message. When I direct that a document
be printed on one the the networked printers, the task is performed however
an error message appears on the system console stating "unable to get
network name for local machine ...". Is something missing from /etc/hosts or
on either the local A/UX system or the Sun system that serves as a print
spooler?

Mark

masst9@unix.cis.pitt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 05:11:10 CST
From: C30008AB%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Nisus Demo Version?

Is there a demo version of Nisus?  I've heard all these wonderful things about
Nisus, but I don't want to lay out the cash until I see it for myself.  (I'd
try a computer store, but I have this mortal fear of them....  "Nisus?  No,
I've never heard of that, but we have Microsoft Word for $12,000...."  :-))

Date: 3 Jun 91 19:01:00 EDT
From: "]" <karpen@bert.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Pacific MacPage Problems

Dear Mac People:

  This is intended both to ask a question and as a cautionary tale --- I hope
to save others from the same aggravation and expense.  My complaint/problem
concerns the Pacific MacPage P.E, the Pacific Data postscript emulation
cartridge, which I am using in an HP LaserJet III hooked up directly (via
a serial port) to my Mac IIci.  On paper it appears to be a good deal:  less
expensive than the HP PS cartridge, especially considering that you need the HP
Appletalk Interface (another 200 bucks) for the HP cartridge but NOT for the
MacPage.  HOWEVER: the early versions (i.e., pre-3.0) of the software drivers
are quite buggy (for example, I couldn't print Textures documents with the
original drivers that came with it --- the main reason I needed
the printer+cartridge!); the cartridge "has problems with some bitmapped fonts"
(said by one of their own people, and verified by other HP users here);
technical support is largely useless (it took 2 calls before someone even
thought of sending me updated drivers), and (here's the crux of the matter)
     ***there's no background printing!!!*****
At first I figured I was being dense and had missed the instructions on how to
get spooling/background printing.  However, a conversation with a tech support
person at Pacific Data verified that this capability is, indeed, absent.
So, does anyone out there have a solution?  Print-Aid is no help for this
particular problem (I've tried it).  Please send suggestions to me directly and,
if there's anything useful, I'll post a summary.  Excuse the massive kvetch but
I am really disappointed with this product, and think other Mac users deserve
fair warning.

Judy Karpen (karpen@ccf.nrl.navy.mil)
 "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 17:09:36 PDT
From: Gary Greene <adobe!zip.Convergent.COM!garyg@labrea.stanford.edu>
Subject: Partitions with Different Operating Systems

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I am trying to set up my hard drive to have two partitions, each with a
>different Operating System. Eventually, I'd like to run 6.0.7 on the first
>partition and System 7 on the second. For now, I am just trying to put a small
>6.07 on the second partion to see how/if this scheme works...

>Problems:
>1.) In the Control Panel, when I select partition 1 as the "Startup Device" and
>close and reopen the Control Panel, it always goes back to both partitions
>selected.

Yep! Standard behavior.

>2.) When I select partion 2/Finder in "Special Menu/Select Startup" and
>Restart, it always starts up partition 1 instead.

>PS: My system is a Mac II Si with a Quantum 105 HD, formatted and partitioned
>with Storware.

First a disclaimer.  I am not running System 7.  I am running 6.0.5 on a
Mac IIx.  Now, different driver/partitioning software applications create
different sorts of partitions.  Applications like SUM II fool the system
with something called a soft-partition which is probably best regarded as
a folder masquerading as a disk partition (though technically this is
not entirely accurate).  Additionally, there are nuances between soft and
hard-partitions which we need not go into here.  The software Apple
distributes does not create a full, *bootable* partition, nor do many other
2nd party applications that handle partitioning and or provide 2nd party disk
drivers.  I know that there are at least two others in addition to the one I
use, but as I am unfamiliar with these other packages I will refrain from
commenting on them.

SilverLining by LaCie allows fully bootable partitions (among many other
things) and is generally a nice package in other respects, though its
interface has been described as arcane by some.  I will admit it takes
some thought and you *must* read the manual.  To use SilverLining and get
all its features under System 7 you will need version 5.3.  If you know
someone who wants to dump their copy you can get by with 5.28 (I think)
so long as you do not assign password protection to your partitions with
System Folders on them.  Doing so will cause your machine to bomb.

Please note that SilverLining will replace the driver on your hard disk
with one they have written to work with their partitioning software,
and I have read complaints that the Apple partitioning software has
trouble reinstalling Apple's driver should you change your mind and want
to change back.  I can't report this for myself as I've only read a
post to that effect.  I doubt this will still be a problem with SL v5.3.

Cheers,

Gary Greene				garyg@convergent.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 11:02:07 SET
From: "Christian Fritze ( 'WonkoTheSane' )" <CKFB14%DDOHRZ11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PowerKey on small keyboards useless?

It is not useless: the LC has no reset key but <cmd> - <ctrl> - <Power>
does the same...

Virtually yours,
Christian Fritze ( 'WonkoTheSane' )
<fill in your favourite disclaimer here...>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 11:26:40 +0100
From: nve%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Quota 2.0 ?

Hi,
I am looking for people who have experience in using the network management
package Quota 2.0. More specifically, I have the following questions :
1. Can it be used to gather statistics on the usage of packages on an Apple-
   Share server ?
2. Does it require any changes to these packages ?
3. Does it require any changes to the user's system software ?

Any other comments are welcome.
Please reply directly to me: LUCEARN@BDILUC01
Thanks
Marc Thoelen
L.U.C.
Belgium

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 7:15:01 EDT
From: siegel@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Warren Siegel)
Subject: System 7: File Sharing error

Whenever I try to start-up File Sharing, I get this message:
	Sorry, a system error occured.  ``File Sharing Extension" address error
Then I have to restart with Extensions off & drag File Sharing Extension out of
the Extensions folder to get things back to normal.  I've tried everything I
can think of: dragging out all the non-Apple Extensions, Control Panels, &
Startup Items; re-installing System 7; replacing the File Sharing Extension
& Sharing Setup; etc.  I have a Mac+ with 2.5 MB RAM & a Quantum Drive
formatted with Alliance Power Tools 1.13, which they say is OK for System 7 w/o
VM.  Is this some obvious error?  Is this what I get for not buying the
manuals?  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 08:56:07 -0700
From: jlouch%polyslo.CalPoly.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu (John Louch)
Subject: System 7: Zapping PRAM, Inside Mac

Netters,
	Does anybody know how to zap the PRAM with system 7.0??

	Also does anybody know when the new versions of Inside Macintosh
are going to be realeased??

Thanks,
John Louchg
jlouch@polyslo.calpoly.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1991 1:26:05 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnale.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts -- Rochester)
Subject: Think C and IM VI headers and Finder Window titles...

Hi y'all,

  Two quick questions.  First, I have been told that the Think C upgrade to
4.0.3 includes the headers for routines found in Inside Mac vol 6.  I got the
4.0.5 updater from the net, but no such files appeared.  Did I miss something,
or is this just a rumor.

  I have already asked this question, but no one sent me an answer -- so I'll
try again.  Lets say you double click on your disk icon, in the Finder.  Up
pops a window with a list of files in it.  Does your window have a title in the
title bar (like the name of the disk)?  Mine does not!  How can I get it there?

  Oh, one quick question.  I got my hypercard 2.0 from BMUG.  How do I get 2.1
(I copied system 7 from the net, ftp.apple.com)?  Thanks,

	Gordon.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 13:31 MDT
From: RIBrown%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Think C database objects

Has anyone ever seen Think C objects for creating databases or entering
data?  I have a ton of generic code for developing databases and am
thinking of writing some objects to put together flat databases but if
someone else has already done work then I would like to look at it
first.  The objects can be PD, SW, of $$$.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jun 91 18:09:00 EST
From: "Jeffrey Templon" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: Translation of Other Vector Formats into PICT

I would like any information about transformation utilities
which can convert graphics files in some fairly standard "draw"
format into PICT files suitable for import into Mac programs
such as DREAMS, etc.

The "standard draw" languagues I am thinking about are such
as Tektronics 40XX, HPGL, and Postscript.  I would be interested
in others as well.  I want them in order to touch up graphics
>From our minicomputer, which will write graphics in almost
everything but PICT.

Thanks for any help.
				JT

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1991 10:41 EDT
From: Michael Harpe <MEHARP01%ULKYVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TrueType Support on Deskwriter

Are there any plans for support of TrueType on the HP Deskwriter?  I bought one
last night.  I have the TrueType INIT and would like to get into TrueType ASAP.

I'm very impressed with the DeskWriter so far.  I don't even feel like i've
compromised too much with not getting a laser printer.  This will meet my needs
just fine for the some time to come.

Mike Harpe
University of Louisville

P.S.  I remember reading a while back about a change in the ink used in the
      DeskWriter.  What was the change and should I worry about it?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 19:22:55 -0400
From: futrell@corwin.ccs.northeastern.edu (robert futrelle)
Subject: X windows for Mac?

I decided to look into X for the Mac.
A call to APDA informed me that they have no
listing for it at all.  I can't find it in the
latest APDA Log.  Where can it be found?
(Sys 7 preferred of course).

bob futrelle

End of Info-Mac Digest