info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/07/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  6 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 130

Today's Topics:

      aux_IIci
      Command-Option-E-E (2 msgs)
      Courier 9 TrueType
      Erratic Mice-A solution, I hope
      Ethernet & System 7.0 :-(
      Ethernet for LaserWriters
      Gestalt, its use, is it there?
      HC 2.1 Flames
      Hypercard 2.1
      LaserWriter v7.0 question
      MacAuditor
      MacroMaker and System 7
      Mac User Group, Europe
      Pasting in a 3270 emulation, and appletalk capable fax modems?
      PD CD's
      protecting system folder on Macs
      REAL hypertext on Mac?
      Real Hypertext on the Mac
      SMTP Mail packages
      Soviet Union via Internet [Was: [*] Telex INIT/DA sources]
      Suitcase II & System 7.0
      System 7.0 Distribution in Canada
      System 7 error
      Telex INIT/DA sources
      Telex upload
      Wholesale 54

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 10:05:12 bst
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: aux_IIci

We are thinking of getting AUX. The configuration we are thinking of
is a IIci 5meg with a 160 meg Hard disk. Could somebody let me know
just how much Disk space will be needed for AUX? system 7 compatiblity quirks?
Anything to watch out for?
thanks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 12:09:33 +0200
From: thomas%INFORMATIK.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE@forsythe.stanford.edu (Thomas Schueler)
Subject: Command-Option-E-E

Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes :

>Command-Option-E-E used to eject a disk from a drive and clear its
>image from the desktop. Now that doesn't work in System 7. A weird thing
>does, though. Sometimes, I think with blank disks, when you Command-E
>eject them, it asks you to put the disk back in, and if you type
>Command-. (fullstop, period), the disk is taken off the desktop. But
>not with all disks. Anyone know the scoop?

Try "Command-Y" or the "Put Away" Item under the File Menu. This will eject
all selected disks from the drives ,unmount selected Servervolumes and
clear the desktop.

regards
thomas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 09:20:04 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu

Greetings,

>Command-Option-E-E used to eject a disk from a drive and clear its
>image from the desktop. Now that doesn't work in System 7. A weird thing
>does, though. Sometimes, I think with blank disks, when you Command-E
>eject them, it asks you to put the disk back in, and if you type
>Command-. (fullstop, period), the disk is taken off the desktop. But
>not with all disks. Anyone know the scoop?

I don't know if I would highly recommend this.  Command-period is kind of a last
chance abort, and you may be losing update information that needs to be written
to the disk.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 07:40:06 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Courier 9 TrueType

Using TrueType with System 6.0.7 the Courier 9 point font does not
display all characters properly.  For example, the asterix (*) looks
like a circumflex (^).  Larger sizes look fine and the text also
prints correctly.  This problem does not occur with System 7.0.
I am running a clean System (no inits) and only the TrueType fonts
installed (ie. no bitmap fonts).  Anyone else notice this problem?

On a related subject, does anyone have a Courier 9 point bitmap
font that includes bold, italic, and bold-italic versions?  I have
Courier 10-24 point from Adobe, but I only have 9 point plain from
Apple.

Les Ferch, UBC Computing Services
Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca  or  userlsf@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 15:18:10 CDT
From: judith@utig.ig.utexas.edu
Subject: Erratic Mice-A solution, I hope

Several Mac users here experienced similar problems with erratic mice.
The problem turned out to be the mouse itself, and NOT anything with
the system, inits, or applications.

The symptoms:  You point, your hand quits moving, but the cursor keeps
moving or jiggles.  You may be doing some mouse-intensive work and
suddenly experience longings for an IBM-PC.  You point and click--and
miss your target. Your mouse is probably less than 1 year old (still under
warranty, we hope), and it has a SLIDE-OFF access disk on the bottom
instead
of a twist-off disk.

The explanation was found in an article by Ken Petersen in a reprint from
the  Journal of the Portland Macintosh Users Group:

     "The superior OPTICAL INTERRUPTER (O-I) used in most of Apple's mice--
     a disk with holes that interrupts two light beams--does not
significantly
     wear or easily become contaminated.  (You simply have to keep the ball

     and rollers clean--an eaasy, though neglected, task.) ...

     The problem mouse has two MECHANICAL disk-and wiper mechanisms, with
     easily contaminated electrical contacts--the knid of thing you'd
expect
     to see in an inexpensive TOY.  Eventually, the aging wiper contacts
make
     and break more than once for the increment of movement that should
have
     generated only one pulse, and the mouse generates SEVERAL pulses. "

I returned several of these mice to our local campus MicroCenter and, being
under warranty, they were replaced--with high performance optical mice and
we are all happy Mac'ers again.

Judith Haller - Institute for Geophysics - The University of Texas at Austin

------------------------------

Date: THU, 06 JUN 91 18:51:36 JST
From: Devendra Narayan <NARAYAN%JPNSUT10.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Ethernet & System 7.0 :-(

Dear Netters,

       I have recently been able to successfully download Sys. 7.0
>From Apple.Com and install it on my Mac IIcx ( alongwith Sys 6.07
and System Switcher - just in case things didn't work out smoothly ).
And unfortunately they didn't. I am connected to the university's
IBM 3081 GX2 mainframe as well as a couple of Sun and other workstations
by ethernet. Under system 6.07 things work smoothly but under Sys 7.0
there's an error message :
                  Network initialization failed
                  couldn't open driver(E)
whenever I try to launch tn3270 or NCSA Telnet. The software details
are :
     GatorCard E/II ver 1.1
     Network cdev ver 2.0
     tn3270 emulator ver 2.3d19
     NCSA Telnet   ver 2.3
If anyone has information about this type of problem, I would really
appreciate hearing from you. BTW, is there any shareware/freeware or
a cheap commercial utility that would allow me to view/use a unix hard
disk as a mac hard disk using ethernet?
Thanking you in advance !!
Devendra Narayan
Science University of Tokyo
e-mail ( NARAYAN@JPNSUT10 )

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 10:11:52 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Ethernet for LaserWriters

A quick and dirty summary of ways to connect Ethernetted Macs to a
LaserWriter:

1) A general LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge, such as the FastPath (from
Shiva?) or the Gatorbox from Cayman.  These generally offer more than
just LW access -- but check them out if you are mixing Ethernet and
LocalTalk, because you might want some of those extra features.

2) A specific Ethernet-for-LW box called EtherPrint from Shiva.
Cheaper than 1) above, but also more limited.

3) Hang the LW off a serial port on a UNIX box and use Columbia AppleTalk
Protocol (CAP, available from some machine at Columbia Univeristy)
to enable the UNIX box to handle Mac-style printing.  Notes I have seen
about CAP lead me to believe that it is for people who *like* to fiddle
with UNIX systems, but that's not a first-hand opinion.

I'm sorry this is so short on facts -- I'm pressed for time -- but maybe
these pointers can help you.

  -- Joshua Yeidel, Academic Computing Services, Washington State University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1991 10:10:17 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnalj.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts -- Rochester)
Subject: Gestalt, its use, is it there?

Hi y'all,
  Getting sick of my programming questions yet?  In Inside Mac, volume 6, in
chapter 3 (I think the page is 3-9, but I'm not sure) there is a routine called
"TrapAvailable."  In this routine, they use a trap number called
_Unimplemented.  I have Think C 4.0.5 and it has never heard of _Unimplemented.
Nor could I find the trap number for this guy in any of the Docs (I looked at
all volumes).  Anyone know what the trap number of this thing is?

  Now, a general question about the gestalt thing.  Lets say I have a Word
processor and a Spell checker -- different apps.  Lets say the spell checker
registers itself with gestalt to let others know that it is present on the
system.  Now lets say you boot the machine and run the word processor.  You try
to spell check a document but the Word processor complains that the spell
checker isn't present on your system!  Why -- because the spell checker hasn't
run yet to install a selector routine with gestalt.  It seems to me that these
gestalt routines should have been stuck in the desktop database file and been
associated with the app, just as the app icons are, etc.  So what are we to do?
Write an init (ugly solution -- what if the user trashes the app, but forgets
to trash the init)?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

		Gordon.
INET: gwatts@fnald.fnal.gov
BITNET: gwatts@FNALD

P.S.  Replace the word "init" with "system extension"!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 10:28:21 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: HC 2.1 Flames

From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
Am I the only one who is confused about System 7 and Hypercard 2.1. I keep
seeing notes that indicate the reason that HC 2.1 isn't available through user
groups, etc. is that HC is a Claris Product, not an Apple product.
Bullfeathers!

Flame ON!

I could accept that explanation IF Apple had, in fact, cut Claris free as they
were planning to do. That did not, however, happen. Claris is, as far as I
understand, still wholly controlled by Apple. If that is true, then Apple is
doing its long-standing (and in some cases, long-suffering) customer base a
grave disservice by allowing Claris to crap all over the efforts Apple has
made to establish User Groups and maintain good relations with them. I've seen
notes from Claris customer support on CompuServe that indicate Claris is just
now beginning to think about User Group relations. A bit late, I'd judge.

To me the bottom line is simply, if HC 2.1 is included with the official Apple
PUK, and if HC 2.1 (or a coupon for it) is shipped with new Macs, then HC 2.1
damn well ought to be available through other legitimate distribution channels
which carry System 7 - i.e. User Groups and FTP.

Is anyone at Apple listening? Are you going to allow a wholly-controlled
subsidiary continue to shoot you in the foot?

Now, I'm one of the dumb schmucks who gave Claris money for HC 2.0, so I guess
I can get 2.1 just by calling Claris and begging for it - something that I
find distasteful only because of the timing. Seems to me that Claris could
have sent me an upgrade notice, OR, since the upgrade is absolutely FREE, just
sent me the damn upgrade without my having to call and beg. It's not like I
bought 2.0 five years ago! But then what do I know, I'm just a customer
(although I'll admit that I'll be looking long and hard at options before I'll
consider another Claris product!).

Flame OFF!

Disclaimer: If UC wanted me to speak for it, I'd have a different job!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 09:35:23 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: Hypercard 2.1

Greetings,

>I realize that Hypercard 2.1 comes with the System 7.0 upgrade kit, however
>I obtained 7.0 from ftp.apple.com. So far as I know, Mark has not posted
>HC 2.1 to this ftp site. Local dealers say they are not allowed to let me
>copy HC 2.1, so how is a person supposed to get a copy legally (other
>than buying the upgrade kit)?

That's pretty much it.  You get the "HyperCard Lite" package in the purchased
System 7 upgrade packages, but the only place I know of from which you can
download HyperCard 2.1 is AppleLink.  From what I've read from Apple, it will
not be placed on the FTP site, or anywhere else for downloading.  You can get
the full package from Claris, though, for $49, or if you bought an earlier
version of HC from them, for free.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1991 09:18 -0500
From: CHGARNETT%amherst.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: LaserWriter v7.0 question

A while ago someone posted a trick for modifying the LW 5.2 and 6.0 drivers
for use with a serial postScript printer. Part of that posting included a
method for automatically making a Disk File. Anyone got any ideas how I might
go about having "Disk File" be the default in the Print dialog box?

Thanks!
-Craig

chgarnett@amherst.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 07:38:54 CDT
From: THE GAR <GLWARNER%SAMFORD.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: MacAuditor

There once was a file named MacAuditor, that was on the Sumex Archives.
Can anyone tell me where it went, or how to get a copy of it?  I can't
seem to find it anywhere there.

(If you have a copy and would be willing to send it to me, please do...)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 09:37:42 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: MacroMaker and System 7

Greetings,

>ARRGH!!!  Around here we depend on MacroMaker.  Now we update to 7.0 and find
>MacroMaker is incompatible--AND APPLE ISN'T SUPPLYING A REPLACEMENT?
>
>Has anyone heard if a MacroMaker update is in the works?  I can't afford a
>commercial macro program right now.  Sigh....

Apple's stated solution to this is "seek equivalent functionality from a third
party product".  I, of course, don't know for sure, but from what I've heard and
read from Apple there are no plans to update MacroMaker.  But Apple is Apple, so
who knows...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 16:32:50 +0200
From: wakefiel@inf.ethz.ch
Subject: Mac User Group, Europe

Is there a Mac User Group in Europe? If so, please send me the address of
the nearest one to Zuerich, Switzerland.

	Thanks,

	ron wakefield

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1991 10:02:37 EDT
From: broussard@anvil.nrl.navy.mil (Phillip Broussard)
Subject: Pasting in a 3270 emulation, and appletalk capable fax modems?

Hi Netters,

My first question is about the tn3270 emulation package from BrownVM.brown
.edu.   I tried
to paste in a text selection into the session I was logged in at (like
I always do with Versaterm Pro) and I either find that the Paste option is
dimmed, or I get a message that "Paste is not yet implemented".  I didn't
see any reference to this in the files I got with the program, and was
wondering if anyone out there has had any success with this.  We are
trying to edit files on the mac and send the text portions over to
programs on the IBM mainframe.

My second question is about fax modems.  We have several macs connected by
appletalk, and I was wondering if there is a fax modem available that cam
(sic) be attached to the appletalk and used by all the macs to send faxes
out on.  We would only be interested in a send-only fax modem.  We would
rather not dedicate any one machine to use as a server, if possible.

Thanks for any help on these questions.

Phillip Broussard

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 15:54 CDT
From: <HARWELL%PANAM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: PD CD's

Our library wants to buy compact disks of public domain programs or shareware.
Does anyone know of sources (user groups, educational vendors, etc.) that can
supply them?

-abh

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  6 Jun 91 16:16:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lian-Keng Lim <ll1n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: protecting system folder on Macs

I wonder if anyone know of ways to protect the system folder on Macs to
prevent unauthorized users from tampering with system files.  Are there
any shareware or commercial products that can do this?
I would appreciate any info regarding these, thanks in advance.

Keng.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 10:43:48 -0700
From: yeidel@tomar.accs.wsu.edu (Joshua Yeidel)
Subject: REAL hypertext on Mac?

You might look at a commercial product called Guide, which
is has beeter hypertext features than HyperCard.  It is
available from :

OWL International, Inc.
2800 156th Avenue
Bellevue, WA 98007
Phone: (206) 747-3203
FAX: (206) 641-9367
CompuServ: 76702,1232

As I understand it, Guide is available in versions for Mac and
for DOS, and hypertexts for one environment will run (or can
be readily converted to) the other.

I have no connection at all with OWL;  somebody in our department
happened to mention it, and I got the address from her.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1991 11:59:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: MCDAID@acfcluster.nyu.edu (John McDaid)
Subject: Real Hypertext on the Mac

 One very good hypertext app for the Mac is "StorySpace." It provides
both graphic (map or web view of nodes and links) and text modes
(split screen, if desired) and provides powerful search and filter,
as well as autolinking and trail building. The links have a simple
boolean language, and can also (i believe) do things like play snd
resources, trigger XCMDs, etc. It's easy to learn, but extremely
flexible. Written by Jay David Bolter, Michael Joyce, and John Smith.
Available from Eastgate Systems, Cambridge MA. (800) 562-1638.

DISCLAIMER: I was a beta tester back when it WASN'T easy to learn...
john mcdaid
mcdaid@nyuacf

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 09:05:20 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: SMTP Mail packages

Greetings,

>I am collecting information on available packages to send smtp mail
>>From a macintosh. I have read some informations about two public
>domain packages: BeaverGate and TechMail. I would like to know where
>to find them and also to hear about other similar programs.

We have been happy with MacPost from Lund University (and available in the
Info-Mac archives).  It requires a somewhat dedicated Mac as a server (somewhat
in that you can run other things under MultiFinder if they are well behaved).
All of the network mail for a good portion of our Macintoshes goes through
MacPost.

A client-only solution might be Eudora if you have access to a machine running a
POP3 server.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 10:02:20 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Soviet Union via Internet [Was: [*] Telex INIT/DA sources]

>Hi MacFolks!
[...]
>[Archived as /info-mac/comm/telex.hqx; 56K]
>
>[I was especially interested in this message because it is, I believe,
> our first posting from the Soviet Union. When I first read it, I was
> sure it was a hoax because it came through a site called "kremvax",
> which some of you may know by ill repute... however, Vladimir hails from a
> real, mailable address, as you can test for yourself. You be the
> judge. -Bill]

   Well, Bill, I can do better than just judge. Here's the DNS info on
kremvax (yes it is real!):

	claudius:tcora(4)> dig kremvax.demos.su any

	; <<>> DiG 2.0 <<>> kremvax.demos.su any
	;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY , status: NOERROR, id: 6
	;; flags: qr aa rd ra ; Ques: 1, Ans: 3, Auth: 0, Addit: 3
	;; QUESTIONS:
	;;      kremvax.demos.su, type = ANY, class = IN

	;; ANSWERS:
	kremvax.demos.su.       303934  MX      100 fuug.fi.
	kremvax.demos.su.       303934  MX      120 nac.no.
	kremvax.demos.su.       303934  MX      200 mcsun.eu.net.

	;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
	fuug.fi.        24046   A       192.26.119.1
	nac.no. 499712  A       129.240.2.40
	mcsun.eu.net.   62751   A       192.16.202.1

	;; Sent 2 pkts, answer found in time: 1469 msec  sent 1 too many pkts
	;; FROM: claudius to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
	;; WHEN: Thu Jun  6 09:52:28 1991
	;; MSG SIZE  sent: 34  rcvd: 155

   How 'bout that! (MX means Mail eXchanger)

                tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 13:30:09 EDT
From: ashwin@cc.gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram)
Subject: Suitcase II & System 7.0

>   >Since Fonts and DA's  are available immediately by dropping  them into
>   >the System  Folder  (DA's  -> Apple  Menu folder),  why does  one need
>   >Suitcase II?
>
>   I still use it because I don't want all of my PostScript fonts cluttering up my
>   Extensions folder.  I can still keep them in separate folders and activate the
>   ones I want.

Actually, one feature of Suitcase II that I like is the ability to hold down
the option key while pulling down a font menu to see the list of fonts
displayed in their own fonts (i.e., "Times" is written out in Times font,
etc.)  I don't know if I want to buy Suitcase II just for this feature, since
I don't need it to manage fonts any more.  (I don't have the Postscript fonts
problem.)

Is there a utility in the archives that will do this?

-- Ashwin.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 09:08:20 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: System 7.0 Distribution in Canada

It has become clear that Apple's policies regarding System Software
distribution has not changed.  System 7.0 can be copied by Mac
owners from User Groups, ftp.apple.com, and other authorized sources
at no cost.  The only thing new is that Apple now has phone support
for those people who actually buy the retail package.

However, in Canada (at least in Vancouver) we are being told a
different story.  The Apple Canada representatives here state that
organizations, such as universities, can distribute System 7.0 to
users of university machines only and only if we purchase a $350
Group Upgrade Kit first.  We are told that staff, faculty, and
students who own their own machines are not allowed to make copies
>From the group upgrade kit.  We are told that these users *must*
purchase a Personal Upgrade Kit.

I wouldn't have trouble living with these rules if it is the same
for everyone else in the world, but this is clearly not the case.  I
would like to hear from others in Canada to find out what you have
been told, whether you're in a university, corporation, user group,
or whatever.  Please email me directly.  I will summarize.

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 15:25 EDT
From: MITCHELL@nmr.biophys.upenn.edu
Subject: System 7 error

The setting of the "skip trash warning" check box seems to be reset to off each time I boot my Mac.  I have to recheck the box if I want to bypass the warning.
This is running on a 2.5Mb Mac Plus.  The Macs at work don't seem to have this
problem, even though all of them had the System installed from the same disks.
I will agree with the consensus that some of the added dialogs in Sys 7 do
slow things (e.g. no more "drive button") but must add that we all have to get
used to the new software.  Two things are on my wish list:

1)  A program creating a command line interface and parsing input to send to
     the Finder by AppleEvents.  It should be quite feasible now to have an
     application which would let me command:  "delete infomacv9-11*.txt" or
     "open database with Excel"  Any programmers want to take a whack at it?
     It might find a ready market of Mac users who also use VAXes and IBMs.

2)  A more complete set of "Finder preferences" for adding command keys,
     choosing date formats and horizontal space given to names etc. in outline
     view, default window locations and sizes and views, etc.  This sounds
     like a job for Apple.

Howzat!?!
Matthew Mitchell      mitchell@nmr.biophys.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 12:58:38 -0400
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com>
Subject: Telex INIT/DA sources

Skeptics,

I'm convinced that Vladimir Butenko is absolutely legit.  I exchanged several
messages with him, and as coincidence would have it, visited two of his
friends who were in the process of moving back to Moscow from a town a few
miles from where I am.  We DO have a connection to the Soviet Union.

I must say he hadn't gotten back to me in several weeks, since about the time
his friends returned.  It's good to see he's still on the net.

	Bob

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1991 16:05:48 CDT
From: DAVE@gergo.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: Telex upload

Could someone who has downloaded the recent upload from the Soviet Union
(info-mac/comm/telex.hqx) compile it and upload the compiled version? The
INIT & DA are there in source only, not as working files. I'd like to see
how well it works, but don't have a compiler to put it together myself.
Thanks.
Dave Martin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1991 13:32 EST
From: MacPhreak! <JPONS@vax.clarku.edu>
Subject: Wholesale 54

In the last Info-Mac rudman@caen.engin.umich.edu writes:

>>I am planning on purchasing a Quantum ProDrive (105Mb, 12ms) from
>>Wholesale 54 in the next week or so.

<stuff deleted>

>>I simply must know other people's experiences with the company and with
>>the drive.

Let me tell you a little story about Wholesale  54 (or is it warehouse 54?
if you look at different ads they  use two different names!)

About three months ago I bought a Mac IIci without a hard disk and wanted
to buy a larger capacity HD. So I looked through the usual Magazines
MacUser, MacWorld, MacWeek etc... The cheapest place that I found was
Wholesale 54 or is it Warehouse 54? I called and after letting the phone
ring for about 25 minutes (not kidding) Donna answers the phone. (she
seems to be the only operator they have!) I place my order ( she knows
nothing about computers or the Mac) and specifically say I want it Fedex
next day air and that i will pay COD (they don't take AMEX)  She says ok,
you  will have it tomorrow! so I run down to the bank and get a money
order ready for $360something (not bad for a 105 quantum internal!) Next
day my order does not come in, so I figure Fedex probably delayed it for
some reason. So I wait one more day and no drive! (I am terribly annoyed
now, I have a $5000 Mac sitting on my desk and I am using it with one
floppy drive!!!) I then call them and after letting the phone ring for more
than 15 minutes guess who answers? Yes, Donna! I tell her my problem and
she tells me that she cannot check up on it because the computer is down
but that she will call me ASAP.  Next day comes along, no drive and no call
>From Donna. I call and after letting the phone ring off the hook, again,
Donna answers the phone! And says that she cannot find the order but that
she is looking. Anyway this goes on for a week and a half!

 Finally I get my drive, I am all exited to install it but I find that they
sent me the wrong bracket! So I call again and Donna answers again after
more than 20 minutes. I tell her my problem and she says that the only
thing that I can do is ship back the bracket (at my expense) and when they
get it they will send me back the correct one! I at this point am so pissed
off that I totally lost my temper! I told her that other companies would
trust their costumers and would ship the correct bracket. She responded
by saying  that warehouse 54 was a mail order house and that that was
the way business was done through Mail order! ( I had visions of places
like MacConnecton and such) And told her that that was not the case! I then
demanded to speak to the manager! After being on hold for about 10 minutes
(she must have taken another order!) she came back on the line saying that
the manager would call me right back! I wait one day and no call back. I
call back and Donna again answers and I tell her that I am sick of this
runaround and that I demanded to speak to the manager right now! Again on
hold for a few minutes, Donna comes back online and gave me their Fedex
costumer # and told me to ship the bracket economy AIR and get the
tracking number, call her with the tracking number and as soon as she could
confirm that the package was shipped she would fedex me a new bracket!
Two days later I get my bracket and install the HD.

         The HD is awesome! I have no complaints about it, it's extremely fast
and very quiet (except at shutdown, it makes a loud noise, like a landing
plane ;^)) But to this day I get calls from Donna saying that I need to ship
the bracket back (when it has already been sent), if not my credit card would be
debited! I say let them debit my credit card! They don't have the number I
paid COD!

	This is the last time I buy something from them! I would have rather
have paid $50 more and get good service than to have gone thought this
ordeal! My advice is, avoid warehouse 54 completely (I know of someone
else who had problems with them!) and order from more respectable mail
order places like Hard drives international!

Good Luck!
Juan

INTERNET JPons@Ollie.ClarkU.Edu   BITNET JPons@ClarkU   AOL MacPhreak

End of Info-Mac Digest