info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/07/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  6 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 131

Today's Topics:

      [*] NIH Image 1.37 Program & description
      [*] Parallaxis 2.0
      [*] RoboWar 2.1.2
      [*] SoftwareFPU 2.01a
      [*] Super Boomerang fix
      [*] XlateGraf
      _Unimplimented
      Backups of Mac Files via Retrospect Remote
      C++
      Computer insurance
      Hypercard 2.1
      IIsi speed, RAM cache and Memory Management bug
      LARGE Internal 3.5" Drives
      Postscript Viewer
      Quantum ProDrive and Wholesale 54 Summary
      RadiusWare 2.0
      Reply To Claris Flame
      Scientific platform opinions
      trouble with True Basic 2.02, Sys 7.0, and SE/30

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 10:28:46 CST
From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <COURCOUL@vmtecqro.qro.itesm.mx>
Subject: [*] NIH Image 1.37 Program & description

Yes, it's UPGRADE time again. Your favorite image processing program
has grown bigger & better, and here it is. This file replaces the
previous version, 1.33g, in the archives.

Enclosed you will find NIH Image, rel. 1.37, and its Changes file. The
program is in sit.hqx format, while the Changes is in plain text. Under
separate cover, I have submitted the manual for this version. These files,
as well as the Think Pascal sources, may also be retrieved from the host
alw.nih.gov ^128.231.128.251!, where its author 'resides' (look in the
/pub/image directory).

I have no connection with the National Institutes of Health, or with
Image's author, other than being a very satisfied user of the program.

Juan M. Courcoul
Monterrey Tech
Mexico

P.S. Beware that this file occupies a tad over 280 Kb: some file transfer/
     retrieval systems might choke up on it.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/image-137.hqx; 309K
             /info-mac/app/image-137-docs.hqx; 210K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 11:23:59 +0200
From: Thomas Braeunl <Braeunl@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject: [*] Parallaxis 2.0

Parallaxis is a procedural programming language based on Modula-2, but extended
for data parallel (SIMD) programming. It has been developed at the Universitaet
Stuttgart (Germany) and is in the public domain since 1990. The main approach
for machine independent parallel programming is to include a description of the
virtual parallel machine with each parallel algorithm. The declaration includes
the number of identical processors with local memory (PEs), the names of
communication ports, and the network topology for data exchange among PEs. With
this information contained in each program, the parallel algorithm becomes
simpler (e.g. symbolic names for communication directions) and easier to
understand.

In Version 2 we extended the language in several ways:
  o multiple configuration and connection structures allow
    semi-dynamic topologies
  o new data exchange operations for exchanging data with inactive PEs
    and with implicit reductions allow general m:n connections
  o data structures pointer and variant record have been added

The simulation system has also been extended:
  o compiler optionally generates cross-reference files for the
  o symbolic debugger on Parallaxis source level

Thomas Braunl                  e-mail:  braunl@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Univ. Stuttgart IPVR, Breitwiesenstr. 20-22, D-7000 Stuttgart 80,  Germany

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/parallaxis-20.hqx; 868K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 13:07:01 EDT
From: harrisd@athena.mit.edu
Subject: [*] RoboWar 2.1.2

This is the latest version of RoboWar, version 2.1.2.  It is a significant
improvement over the current version in the archives (1.5.1) and
should replace the old RoboWar.

With RoboWar, you program robots to seek and fight each other.  Then
you turn them loose in an arena with up to five others and watch them
fight.  RoboWar features sound effects, animated combat, and a complete
development system for robots.  If you enjoy mental challenges and
programming, you'll love RoboWar.

RoboWar is shareware.  If you wish to use it, you must pay $10 for
registration, which will entitle you to future updates and to enter
your robots in RoboWar Tournaments.

The third RoboWar tournament is scheduled for July 15, 1991.  Winners are
entitled to cash prizes and everyone can get eternal glory!  Send me
email or a letter for more information about contest rules.

David Harris / harrisd@athena.mit.edu / 1112 Evelyn Ct. Ridgecrest, CA 93555

[Archived as /info-mac/game/robowar-212.hqx; 378K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 13:31:09 -0700
From: John Neil <neil@apple.com>
Subject: [*] SoftwareFPU 2.01a

A utility which allows programs requiring a Floating Point Unit (FPU) to work
on computers without one, like the Macintosh LC and IIsi.  Drop this INIT/cdev
into your System folder and many programs that formerly bombed will begin
working.  Version 2.01a is fully System 7 compatible.

SoftwareFPU is a shareware product.  If you download it, please send $10 to:

    John Neil
    P.O. Box 160699
    Cupertino, CA 95016

Your ten dollars keeps the lights on late at night and gives me the incentive
to produce more wondrous Macintosh software!  Thanks for your support.

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/software-fpu-201a.hqx; 64K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 17:11:27 PDT
From: hayp04@Csa1.LBL.Gov
Subject: [*] Super Boomerang fix

To Super Boomerang users:

I have uploaded a BinHexed file, SBFix.HQX, which contains Super Boomerang(tm)
Fixer.  This is for those who use Super Boomerang 2.0.3 and System 7 or
CEToolBox 1.6.  Put SB Fixer into System Folder (if you use System 6) or into
Control Panel Folder (if you use System 7, btw, SB itself should be placed
here as well).  This is a Control Panel Document, and use Control Panel DA
to read the instruction in SB Fixer.  After reading this, reboot your Mac.
This cdev fixes the following problems by patching SB2.0.3 on the fly, without
modifying SB2.0.3 itself.  If you have a older version of SB, 2.0, 2.0.1 or
2.0.2, please update to 2.0.3 first using the updater in this archive.

* With System 6 or System 7, if you use CE Toolbox 1.6 with Boomerang,
Boomerang cannot recognize the group.
* With System 7, the Folder name popup menu is displayed in a incorrect
position in the Open/Save Dialog.
* With System 7, if you use Balloon Help, SB freezes or crash.

No new functionality is added by this fixer.  This only fixes above mentioned
problems temporary.  This is my support of SB with the agreement of the
publisher.  So, in case you have any questions, please send me E-mails
shown in the Control Panel instruction or call me at the phone number
shown in the Boomerang (not Super Boomerang) document.

 ------------------
To Boomerang registered users:

All of the Boomerang registered users should have received Boomerang 2.1 and
Super Boomerang 2.0.*.  If you have not yet received these upgrades, please
call the phone number in the Boomerang manual.  Please do not post message
here about this inquiry.  If you use SB2.0.* older than 2.0.3, please update
to 2.0.3 as is mentioned above.

 ------------------
To Boomerang 2.0.* users:

In theory, Boomerang 2.0.* should be loaded if you put Boomerang and Prefs file
in the System folder, not in the Control Panel Folder under System 7.  But I
have not tested this, and DO DISCOURAGE to use Boomerang 2.0.* with System 7.
The reason is, even if it appears to work, it does have known conflicts with
System 7, and it can easily cause crash any time.

 ------------------
To Boomerang 2.1 users:

You should have received Super Boomerang, and please switch to SB 2.0.3 asap
if not yet switched.

 ------------------
Comments:

I am sorry that I cannot continue posting a freeware/shareware version of
Boomerang which is functional under System 7.  I do not want to discuss
about Super Boomerang, because this is BBS.EDU, not BBS.COM.  If you have
any questions, please write a mail or send E-mails to those shown in the
Boomerang manual, but not here.

Some people seem to feel bad about this, but please understand that I did my
best about Boomerang.  Boomerang 2.0 is a fully functional version, not a
stripped down demo version.  It contains no request message for the shareware
fee payment, because I know it is annoying to see those message and that makes
the program unnecessarily larger.  (Without Help file and documentation, you
will never see even Boomerang is a shareware and how much.)  Shareware fee of
$30 might seem to be too expensive, but please judge from that fact that this
fee covered the upgrade to Boomerang 2.1 (this has some functionalities which
even the commercial products today do not have, and they are useful for all,
not only for so-called power users) and to the fully functional Super
Boomerang.

Hiro Yamamoto

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/super-boomerang-fixer.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 May 1991 13:54:11 +1000
From: kim@csc.canberra.edu.au
Subject: [*] XlateGraf

Hello,
        I have this graphics utility that I use sometimes. I did not write
it, I don't know the authors. I am just posting it. It can translate
various graphics formats including MacPaint, PICT file, PICT Resource,
Startup Screen, TIFF, GIF, IFF IBLM, GRASP, 8 Bit gray scale, 32 bit RGB,
32 bit y.Cr.Cb.Y, GDS. I'm not sure exactly what IFF IBLM or GDS are. The
about box says it's free software and it was written by Robert Jongbloed &
Geoff Hicks of Australia more than this I can't say. Good Luck.
This posting was stuffed into Stuffit 1.5.1 format by Stuffit Classic and
binhexed by Eudora. All those automatic unstuffers like downline or the
cap60 contrib utilities should handle it OK.

Kim

[Archived as /info-mac/util/xlate-graf.hqx; 79K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 17:42:36 EDT
From: Kathy Oliver <KOLIVER%TSCVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: _Unimplimented

In a past INFO-MAC digest, gwatts@fnalj.fnal.gov asked about _UNIMPLIMENTED.

The following is taken from the Macintosh Programming Primer
by Dave Mark and Cartwright Reed, Addison Wesley Publishing

#define  WNE_TRAP_NUM     0x60   /* This is the Wait-Next-Event trap
                                    which is for Multifinder */

#define  UNIMPL_TRAP_NUM  0x9F   /* This is the unimplimented trap you
                                    were asking about */

As a bonus, I'll show you how to check if Wait-Next-Event is available:
     Boolean    WNEImplemented = (NGetTrapAddress(WNE_TRAP_NUM,ToolTrap)
                         != NGetTrapAddress(UNIMPL_TRAP_NUM,ToolTrap);
Regardless of whether or not that was what you were trying to check,
the address for UNIMPL_TRAP_NUM is correct.

If you want more information feel free to write me at my e-mail address:
koliver@tscvm.bitnet

Kathy Oliver

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 16:47:30 CDT
From: strick@slcs.slb.com
Subject: Backups of Mac Files via Retrospect Remote

  The proceedures we use at the Schlumberger Laboratory for Computer
  Science for Macintosh Backups.

  File System

    Each machine has at least one Hard Disk name 'Local'.  This
    disks contains folders at the top level named System Folder,
    Applications, Documents, Untilities, Public, Help.  There
    may be others as well, but these are standard.  All the
    users work is expected to exist below the Documents folder.
    I tell the users that only files below the Documents folder
    are supported, but in fact pickup a few files like Dictionaries,
    HyperCard Home and such from other various places.

  Central Equipment

    I use a MacIIci on my desktop.  This system has a DAT drive
    from Thirdwave and Retrospect remote.

  The schedule

    Weekly I run a full backup of the supported files (see above).
    This ususally runs friday night about 21:00.

    Daily I run an incremental of the changes that day.  This is run
    about 21:00 each Mon, Tue, Wed and Thu.

  Tapes

    I have 8 scripts that run using 4 tapes.

    Script              Tape                            Time

    FULL-A              Tape-A  Fri                     21:00
    INCR-A              Tape-A  Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu      21:00

    FULL-B              Tape-B  Fri                     21:00
    INCR-B              Tape-B  Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu      21:00

    FULL-C              Tape-C  Fri                     21:00
    INCR-C              Tape-C  Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu      21:00

    FULL-D              Tape-D  Fri                     21:00
    INCR-D              Tape-D  Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu      21:00

  I am currently supporting more than 20 Machines with this
  design and could easily expand it to many more.  My guess is
  that about 50 Machines can be supported per Server/DAT Drive.

  This should give you some idea of how we backup Mac files.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1991 10:15:54 CDT
From: GEOFFREY PARSONS <parsons%WKUVX1.bitnet@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: C++

  There are currently two C++ compilers out for the mac...

  Apple: The Apple compiler is a C++ translato, so you will also need
Apple's C compiler. Both the C and C++ require the MPW Shell.

        MPW Shell - $100
        C         - $150
        C++       - $175
                    ----
                    $425

  Zortech: The zortech compiler is a native C++ compiler. No need
for a second compile step. BTW, the zortech compiler will also to
original C or ANSI C. And the good news is Zortech has an awesome
educational discount (Apple has none for developement software!)

Geoffrey Parsons
WKU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 20:20 CST
From: SJONES%RHODES.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Computer insurance

Hello all:

I'm trying to find a good comprehensive insurance policy to cover my Mac, its
software, and peripherals.  Does anyone have any experience with policies of
this type.  I am looking at the company "SAFEWARE" which specializes in this
type of insurance.  Has anyone had any experience with this company?  I'd like
to hear both "horror" and "love" stories, so let me know!

Alos, if you have a good homeowners policy or such that covers your
equipment, I'd like to hear about that to.  I will post results and responses
so we can all hopefully benefit from this!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 15:36:43 PDT
From: "Donald R. Proctor" <spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu>
Subject: Hypercard 2.1

 > User groups also did not receive HyperCard 2.1, and Apple Licensing says
 > that that was not their decision because it is Claris' product (I assume
 > that this applies to Mark as well).  I communicated with Claris about this,
 > and I was told that my only choices are to "pay $49 for the Claris upgrade
 > by calling 800-628-2100, or purchase the HyperCard Development Kit from a
 > Claris Authorized Dealer, (Suggested Retail Price is $199.00)."  If you
 > *purchased* HyperCard 2.0 previously, and are therefore a registered user,
 > you are entitled to a free upgrade to 2.1.

 > So unless you shell out $49, reading stacks under System 7 will be an
 > iffy proposition (HC 2.0 works most of the time, I'm told).  So much for
 > "system software".

 > Claris Customer Relations can be reached at CLARIS.CR@AppleLink.Apple.com.

 > Scott Robert Anderson
 > phssra@emoryu1.{cc.emory.edu,bitnet}
 > gatech!emoryu1!phssra

Can this possibly be true?  When I ran Compatability Checker prior to
upgrading to System 7, it told me that HyperCard v2.1 was included in
the System 7 upgrade.  When it wasn't there, I assumed that this was
just an oversight that would be corrected in due course.

Will I really have to pay $50 for HyperCard 2.1?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 16:34:23 CDT
From: Jose Fernandez <fernande@lks.csi.com>
Subject: IIsi speed, RAM cache and Memory Management bug

There has been a lot of talk about poor performance when operating
Macintosh IIsi's and IIci's in the 8 bit mode (256 colors or grays).
Just when most of us were about to accept the fact that our machines
are 70% slower when running in this mode, Kurt Behnke  posted the
following message:

>>   The explanation is that the video RAM sits in the 1 M RAM bank A
>> (fixed on the board), that is very busy (the more colours the busier).
>> Hence access to this part of memory is very slow.
>>   The solution is actually very easy: Adjust the RAM CACHE to
>> 768 K. As a consequence bank A is all video and RAM cache. Then
>> the performance with 256 colours is (almost) as good as in Black
>> and White.

I tried it on a Mac IIsi (5 Meg, System 7) and it made a big difference:
the CPU benchmarks increased by 70%! and the actual redrawing speed by
30 to 35%.  However, I don't think it is necessary to waste as much
memory as originally suggested.  I ran benchmarks using a  RAM cache
of 768,512,384,256,and 128k, and found that the optimum tradeoff between
speed and "wasted" memory is 384k.  The CPU benchmark obtained using this
cache size was 1.5% less than the one obtained when 784k were used, but
you save 384k of RAM.  Using a 256k cache causes my Mac to perform as
slow as before.
  My recommendation is to get a benchmarking program from the network
(like MacSpeed, shareware) and try different cache sizes to find out what
size provides the best performance on your machine.

Now, I've heard about some people who have tried this and could not get
it to work.  What is different between their setup and mine?.  Well,
inits is probably a good bet, so I restarted the machine while holding
the shift key to disable all inits (called extensions in System 7) and
discovered that this fix works only if you have the memory management
init installed (MEMORY-MANAGER-FIX.HQX).

Go ahead, pull these two files from the network and enjoy a brand new
machine!

Jose Fernandez.

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 6 Jun 1991 14:07:46 EDT
From: <MASONS1%vm.utcs.utoronto.ca@vm1.gatech.edu>
Subject: LARGE Internal 3.5" Drives

Hi,
 I have been searching for a large internal hard drive for an se/30 the largest
 I have seen so far is a 340 Meg MAXSTOR from APS. I heard that quantum makes a
 425 MEG Hard however I have not been able to get any information on it. Is the
re a 3.5" 500 Meg SCSI Hard Drive available?  Thanks for any info.

                                                                  Roger Smith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 01:18:01 MET
From: "Vincenzo G. Capuano" <CAPUANO%ICNUCEVM.CNUCE.CNR.IT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Postscript Viewer

Is it available a Postscript viewer for the Macintosh ?

Thanks,
Vincenzo.

capuano@cnuce.cnr.it

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 13:42:32 EDT
From: rudman@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daniel Edward Rudman)
Subject: Quantum ProDrive and Wholesale 54 Summary

Recently, I requested information about Wholesale 54 and the Quantum ProDrive
3.5" 105Mb hard drive.  I received several replies regarding both, and I thank
those people now for their responsiveness.  What follows is a listing of the
messages I received and, following that, my own endeavors:
 ----------
From: scott@scotty.life.uiuc.edu (Idiot Savant)

Well, I purchased the same you are considering and here's my experience:

Ordered Tuesday, Recieved Friday.
Tried installing in my IIci Friday Night, but they shipped the wrong cable.
Called Wholesale 54 the Tuesday following (Day After Memorial Day.) to
ask them to ship a replacement. As of 06/06/91, I'm still waiting for
the cable they promised to ship that very day (05/28/91).

While I can't say the price was bad, I can say that you shouldn't expect
much in the way of support should a problem arise.
I have heard nothing but horror stories from people who have purchased anything
>From Wholesale 54 (BTW, they are also called Warehouse 54 in other adds). I
would stay away from them.

Most people I know like the Quantum 105 drive. I have heard negative stories
>From one person on a BBS, but I am not convinced yet that his is a hardware
problem. I would recommend you purchase it from Alliance Peripheral Systems
who are very reliable and whose prices are right in the ballpark. I have
two 52 Quantum drives arrived when they said they would and work as advertised.

Good luck.

Glenn Rosen (grosen@lucy.wellesley.edu)
            (agalab@harvarda.harvard.edu)
From: gmarzot@linus.mitre.org (G. S. Marzot (Joe))

  I recently bought a ProDrive 210 from W54 and am totally satisfied.  The
price for the 210 was also comparitively low and I do not know why.  The
performance of the drive is very good. I ran some benchmarks to compare
with my old apple-issue 40meg internal and the new drive was ~30% faster.
I believe the architecture of the 105 and the 210 are very similar and if
so you will hear some funny noises when it winds up at startup(some thing
to do with self test and calibration) but after that it is fairly quiet.
The partitioning and formatting software OnTrack is good(not as good as
SilverLining). I do not know what to say about long term reliability. The
drive does run a little hot which may be a factor. I would be interested
to hear some numbers if any are available. No problems with W54 prompt
delivery and I was able to get tech support through OnTrack regarding
setup. Only one complaint if any. The drive icon is horendous but you can
change it with Facade of Sys7.  -gsm

My own endeavors are as follows:

    A few days ago, I ordered the Quantum ProDrive 105Mb (3.5") after looking
at an ad from Wholesale 54. The ad claimed the drive would be $389.00 and that
it came with the usual: 30 day money-back guarantee, 1 year replacement
warranty extendable to 2 years for a fee.  Upon calling them, I was greeted by
a "Thank you for calling Warehouse 54, please stay on the line for the next
available representative". Two seconds later, I received the exact same message
>From a different, more human voice.  As I was quietly thinking to myself,
"Gee.. are they WAREHOUSE 54 or WHOLESALE 54!?", a voice came on and asked if
he could help me. I asked several questions and found out from this person that:

1. There was only a power LED and no activity LED.
2. It would take NINE to TEN days to send me the merchandise through FedEx.

Now, being excited about the low low price I ordered it from them anyway,
despite my hesitations about the above two items. And then... I received all
the above messages.

After receiving these replies, I promptly called Alliance Peripheral
Systems (1-800-233-7550), and was informed that:

1. The Quantum ProDrive 105Mb is DISCONTINUED (hence the low price).
2. The Quantum ProDrive LPS 105Mb is faster, quieter, and a little more
   expensive (LPS stands for Low Profile System, as well as Low Power System)
3. They didn't carry the discontinued drive, but their price for the LPS was
   $519.00, which is respectable.
4. Their drives, all of them, come with a power LED and an activity LED, and
   they have dual-SCSI (50-pin) ports, push-button selectors, AC switching with
   2 external outlets, a choice between 50/50 and 50/25 twisted-wire cables,
   and a TWO year Quantum warranty.

The gentleman who helped me was EXTREMELY helpful. I did, however, find the
drive for $488.00 at MacDirect (1-800-621-8467). The options were exactly the
same. Both MacDirect and APS offer 1-800 technical support; Warehouse/Wholesale
54 offers nothing. Both MacDirect and APS offer UPS ground shipping for about
$5.00 in a couple days. Wholesale/Warehouse 54 offered 9-10 day FedExing for
$14.00.

Needless to say, I cancelled my order at Warehouse/Wholesale 54 and immediately
ordered the 105LPS from MacDirect. I was helped by a gentleman named Judd, who
was more than helpful, and I am EXTREMELY pleased, even though I'm paying almost
$100.00 more than I expected. Why? Because I know I'm ordering from someone who
cares, who delivers, and who helps.. not from a place who claims to be "One of
the oldest names in the storage business", when in fact they have only been in
business for three years.

Daniel E. Rudman
The University of Michigan
CAEN Macintosh Administration

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 16:22:54 PDT
From: managan#robert#a%nersc.mfenet@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: RadiusWare 2.0

Craig Macfarlane wrote about trouble with a Radius FPD conflicting
with system 7.0.  I have their Grayscale 2 page display and GS/C
video board.  When I ran the compatibility checker it flagged the
cdev that controls the software that comes with all their monitors.
This software is incompatible with system 7.0.  With this cdev put
into the 'May Not Work With System 7' folder my system runs fine.  I admit
I miss the large menu bar and tear off menus... but the monitor still is
usable under system 7.0.  I can also confirm that the tech support people
do say that I will need a ROM upgrade on the video board to run the new
RadiusWare software they are to distribute shortly.  To add confusion to
this mess the June 4 MacWeek had a table on Radius products and it looked
to me like only the software upgrade was necessary and not the ROM
upgrade.  I expect to try the software when it arrives by e-mail and then
order the ROM upgrade if necessary.

In summary, 1) Radius should have provided the info that their RadiusWare
software (under several names up until now) is incompatible with system 7.
2) However, I found that the compatibility checker or the installer (I can't
remember which any more) did offer me the chance to remove the software
>From my system folder since it did not know it was compatible.
3) It does seem that this affects the software for all their monitors.
4) The tech support people say that ROM version 2.1 does not need to
be upgraded unless you have a IIci; so if you bought a monitor recently
you are probably OK.
5) For those of you wanting to find out your ROM version number open the
cdev (II display, SE/30 Display, ...) and click on the apple at the
top of the Tear-Off Menu icon.  It should pop up a dialog and underneath
is 2 lines of boxes; one box for each slot in your machine.  The top line
identifies the video card with a FDP, TPD GS/C depending on the card
type and the box underneath gives the version number of the ROM.

Rob Managan      (managanllnl.gov)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 20:12 CST
From: SJONES%RHODES.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Reply To Claris Flame

Up to now I've avoided replying to "flames" but I can do so no longer!

This is in response to Jerry Wilcox's flame on Claris & Apple:

I don't see what your gripe is!  Because you have to ASK for your
upgrade? Sure, it would be nice if they just sent it to you, but I think
you'll find that 95% of all vendors make you call them for the upgrade.
It may not be ideal, but it IS a reality.  I'm not saying it is right!

Also, Claris may be a subsidiary of Apple, but that doesn't make Apple
and Claris necessarily responsible for or to each other.  For example
( the hierarchy on this may not be correct, but it serves the point)
Coca-Cola owns Paramount Pictures, but do you call Coke if you don't
like the rating on a Paramount film?  You may, but I doubt if it would
do any good!

Further, you say: "Now, I'm one of the dumb schmucks who gave Claris
money for HC 2.0, so I guess I can get 2.1 just by calling Claris and
begging for it - something that I find distasteful ..."  Well, I paid for
my upgrade, as did EVERYONE who wanted the upgrade, and I
certainly don't think I'm a schmuck.  I consider it a necessary
investment.  And "begging"? I simply called and made a request, no
grovelling involved, and no bad taste left in the mouth.

Finally, you say: "...HC 2.1 damn well ought to be available through
other legitimate distribution channels..."  Well, I got news for you - it
IS! It's called requesting an update be mailed to you.  What is
more legitimate than that?

In the final Analysis my feelings are: Fine, you don't have to buy from
Claris again if you don't want to! But by boycotting a "wholly-
controlled subsidiary" (your words--and by the way, they are wholly-
OWNED, and NOT wholly-controlled!), a software developer more
closely tied to Apple than any other, and more than likely privy to
inside information, it seems that you are the one shooting yourself in
the foot by ignoring an entire product line for such a  minor thing!

The above is my opinion, and mine alone! *Unless anyone agrees with me* :)

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  6 Jun 91 13:00:56 PDT
From: Edward_D_Wright@cup.portal.com
Subject: Scientific platform opinions

I have an information/opinion request.

I am in need of a fortran programming system for my personal use.  It
may be that I will need to expand to C and C++ in the near future.  My
needs are for scientific programming.

I request information and opinions on which platform I should use.  As
of now, I own an SE/30.  If I continue on the SE/30 I believe I will
need to purchase AU/X 2.0 or MPW.  Is this correct?  Would this be the
best solution.  I have been told that the NeXT uses 'real' Unix and
is a superior platform for scientific programming.

An alternative is to get a SUN or Iris workstation.  Is the increase in
power worth the vast price increase.

As of now, remaining with my '30 or a NeXT would seem best.

Comments/opinions are welcome.

As always

Ed Wright

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1991 16:55 CDT
From: GASTINEJ%LAMB@lawrence.edu
Subject: trouble with True Basic 2.02, Sys 7.0, and SE/30

Here's an odd one. I teach intro physics here, and use a lab full of Macs
for all sorts of things. When Sys 7 came along, I tested all the software I
cared about with Sys7 on a IIsi. Mirabile dictu, everything worked. I proceeded
to install 7.0 on all the SE/30's on the network. I then discovered that True
Basic, which works just fine with VM off on a IIsi, crashes immediately on both
the SE/30 and the SE. Let this be a warning--test software on the type of
machine it must run on! I'd not be surprised if the problem were reversed, since
the IIsi ROMs are 32-bit clean, but this way?
gastinej@lawrence

End of Info-Mac Digest