info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/08/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  7 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 132

Today's Topics:

      9600 Baud Modems
      Are all "0 item, 7K on disk" equal?
      Available RAM
      Claris Flame
      Claris HyperCard 2.1
      Color Disk Icons
      Comamnd Line Interface to AppleEvents
      erratic mouse behavior - followup
      Figures in OzTeX: still another problem
      Genealogy program (again)
      Hard Disk Backup
      Hyper-Expert 1.2
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #130
      INFORMATION REQUEST: MacPassword
      Leaving your mac on?
      Macintosh Discourse
      MacTutor
      Mail forward from user HOTUCKCH@NUSDISCS.BITNET - Reply to original sender
      MandelZot 3.0.2 documentation
      mirror technologies support?
      Optimization Woes
      Segmenting RoboWar to 256k mail segments.
      System 7.0, aliases, icons
      Think C database objects (reflexions of mine)
      TrueType support on DeskWriter
      VGA for IIci?
      ZModem XCMD

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 14:09:42 edt
From: olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com (Rocky Olive)
Subject: 9600 Baud Modems

I'm interested in purchasing a 9600 baud modem for use at home.  I currently
use a 2400 SupraModem (which I've been extremely pleased with), and I'm ready
to upgrade.  I don't know much about the 9600's, so here's what I'd like to
do:

Anyone who owns or uses a 9600 baud (Hayes compatible) to log on to BBS's,
mainframes, etc. from their Mac (or pc), let me know your experiences.
Brand, cost, purchase location, compatibility, etc, and I'll put together a
summary and submit it to the digest.

Please send info to me directly at <olive@suzuki.apex.dg.com>.  Thanks.

Rocky Olive, Data General Corp, Apex,   CNNC

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 23:21:11 -0400
From: ctchou@kodak.com (JOE CHOU, CTCHOU@KODAK.COM, INTERNET)
Subject: Are all "0 item, 7K on disk" equal?

Hello:

I have a question. What is the difference between reinitializing a disk and
deleteing everything on a disk then rebuilding the desktop?

Once I tried to copy a file from hard disk to a 800K floppy and got a
message saing not enough room on the disk. I then trashed everything on the
disk and rebuilt the desktop. Now on the title bar it said zero item, 7K on
disk. So I tried to copy again. Still not enough room. Since I knew the
file was originally copied to the hard disk from a 800K floppy, the last
thing I could try was to reinitialize the floppy. After I reinitialized the
floppy, the title bar still said zero item, 7k on disk but now I was able
to copy the file to floppy. So what is the difference? Anyone knows?

Chou

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1991 15:13 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: Available RAM

Hello,

Do you know if there is any way for a program (BTW, in Think C) to know the size
of all the memory installed? Including virtual memory, if it's active.
The problem is that I have a handle in an init-cdev-patch, and I want to know if
it points to a valid pointer: I can check if the number is odd, or anything
else, but if this number is very high and goes beyond the RAM limit (be it on
SIMMs or on disk), I get an address error before knowing anything.

Can you help me? I couldn't find anything in IM...
Thank you very much,
- Alberto Ricci, FRicci@polito.it

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 10:19:57 EDT
From: Clare Durst <CCD@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Claris Flame

Well, now, calm down, people.  I think there is a legitimate gripe here,
about Apple not distributing HyperCard v. 2.1 BECAUSE we expect that
if they're giving us the system, they should give us the tools to use the
system.  How would people have reacted if they had provided NO hypercard
stacks but instead a couple of programs that could only be run or used
in, say, Excel?  Would we be yelling because they didn't give us a copy
of Excel? No, but we WOULD be yelling that they had provided us something
in what might for us be an unreasonable format.  THAT's the problem. If
they had provided those stacks in Hypercard 2.0, we wouldn't be griping
as much.  I think Apple SHOULD re-think how it relates to Claris in the
perception of the public: either Hypercard is system software, to be
distributed with the system and the new macs, with Claris providing
extensions and super programs to run WITH it, or it is NOT, and Apple
has no more reason to provide a release using it than it does to provide
a release using something from Microsoft.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1991 7:28:41 CDT
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: Claris HyperCard 2.1

A number of people have been flaming Apple and/or Claris over the fact that
HyperCard 2.1 is not available through user groups or on FTP.APPLE.COM for
everyone to get. Now in some ways I agree -- the entire System 7 software
distribution should be available if any of it is made available at all. But I
don't have a big problem with it all. A lot of work has gone into both System 7
and HyperCard, and many changes. I think that Apple & Claris (one and the
same, sortof, but not quite) may prefer that users purchase the upgrades such
that they get the manuals and support in addition to the software. Plus they
are in business to make money <grin>. When I called Claris to requests uthe
upgrades for two Claris products we have at work, the Customer Relations person
asked me if I wanted to receive the free update to HyperCard which I own
personally. He then mentioned that the Claris update would not be ready until
early June, and that it would be shipped out when finalized. The way I see
it all, Claris (a subsidiary of Apple, not a department within Apple) licensed
the "un-magic'd" version of HyperCard to Apple for special distribution bundled
with new Macintosh systems. Apple does not have the right by that license to
place HC on their FTP site, or aCxnywhere else. Claris may be owned by Apple,
but they do have their own hierarchy, along with a company President and a
board of directors (which I would assume Apple is a part of).  I will wait
patiently for the final product update from Claris and appreciate it just as
much as if I had gotten it off of FTP.APPLE.COM, plain and simple.
I do agree that Claris could be a little less passive in their update policy,
and inform users of current versions (as compared to the registered version)
and reasons to update. Letting people know that they can update/upgrade is much
preferred to having to answer complaints all day. Is Claris listening?
Dave Martin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 16:37:35 BST
From: Marcus Harvey <marcus@sun.pcl.ac.uk>
Subject: Color Disk Icons

> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 02:51:40 EDT
> From: rudman@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daniel Edward Rudman)
> Subject: Color Disk Icons
>
> Marcus Harvey asks why he isn't getting color disk icons: You SHOULD be.

Aha! Someone emailed me to say that the color icons in the System are only used
in the About this macintosh... dialog. Your the first and only person to say
that they *are* getting color disk icons as default. Thank you.

Could someone else confirm that inserted disks automagically show up in color?

> Also, you can use some ingenuity to place some REEEEEEALLY nice color icons
> in place of your disks (use PICT resources and your favorite color image
> software).

Yep, I've done this. It's fun.

> Hope this helps... I'm not sure WHY you'ld be getting black and whites...
> are you still running facade? (blech!)
>
> //Dan

Nope. Never heard of or had 'facade'. Anyone got any clues as to why those
elusive color disks don't show? It's really irritating me. I don't like to not
know why something that should happen, doesn't. Is it a conspiracy? Nobody seems
to have any ideas on the matter.

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.sun - JANET
marcus%sun.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 10:03:41 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Comamnd Line Interface to AppleEvents

In infomac V9#130 Matthew Mitchell writes:
 -----------------------------

*** begin quote
... on my wish list:

1)  A program creating a command line interface and parsing input to send to
     the Finder by AppleEvents.  It should be quite feasible now to have an
     application which would let me command:  "delete infomacv9-11*.txt" or
     "open database with Excel"  Any programmers want to take a whack at it?
     It might find a ready market of Mac users who also use VAXes and IBMs.

*** end quote

One potential for this is HyperCard, which is already AppleEvents-savvy,
already has an "open" command, and has not just a command line
capability but also a scripting capability (which is to my mind
more important than an interactive type-a-command capability).
Of course, AppleEvents for the Finder need to be constructed by
Apple to do things like delete a file.

I understand that Jon Pugh is now at Apple
coordinating the AppleEvents project;  many of you may know him
>From the shareware he's written (e.g., ShowSizes), or from his
contributions to this discussion list (including the recent
tightwads vs. criminals shareware deadbeats debate).  Unless
he says otherwise, I would think that he is the one who needs
to hear what we want out of AppleEvents.
  -- Joshua Yeidel, Academic Computing Services, Washington State University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 23:37:15 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: erratic mouse behavior - followup

That figures.  The last thing I checked was the culprit.  The erratic
mouse behavior is caused by my Datadesk 101 keyboard.  I have had it for
a few years -- I got it soon after they came out -- and only recently I
experienced this problem.  A call to Datadesk revealed that I am not the
only one who has this problem.  Unfortunately, they don't know yet how to
fix it.  If you have Datadesk 101 keyboard and observe similar problems
call them and add your name to the list of people awaiting the solution.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 14:14:34+010
From: Alfonso Fuggetta - CEFRIEL <alfonso@ercole.cefriel.it>
Subject: Figures in OzTeX: still another problem

Dear netters,

I have recently installed System 7.0 and I have discovered that I am not
able to have my OzTeX documents printed anymore.

In particular I can print an OzTeX file if I save it as postscript and then
dowload it using the laserwriter utility supplied with system 7.0. However,
figures are not printed anymore and therefore I am still in troubles.

Do you know how it is possible to solve these problems?

Thank you for your attention,

Alfonso Fuggetta

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 09:51:03 -0400
From: man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine)
Subject: Genealogy program (again)

One program that I failed to mention the first time you asked for genealogy
programs is Family Roots.  It will do the kind of descendent charts you
desire, as well as pedigree charts, family charts and person charts.  It
may very well be the most flexible genealogy program on the market.  It
is made by Quinsept, Inc. in Lexington MA (sorry I don't have the address
in front of me).  The reason that I usually don't respond when people ask
about genealogy programs is that Family Roots definitely shows its ancestry
as an MS-DOS program.  The user interface has improved tremendously since
the early versions, but in my opinion it's still rather clunky.  However,
if you really want enormous flexibility, then this program may be for you.

	--Mark

P.S.  I use the program, because I find that I'm willing to overlook its
user interface deficiencies on account of its overall power.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 91 15:43:51 GMT
From: Mitch Cherniack <mitch@cs.concordia.ca>
Subject: Hard Disk Backup

Does anyone know of a good public domain hard disk backup
utility?  I'd like one that fills the floppies (even if
files are split up), and only requires me to insert
new floppies when the previous ones are filled.

Mitch Cherniack
(mitch@concour.cs.concordia.ca)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 8:18:58 CST
From: bechard@mercury.cs.uregina.ca (Anne Bechard)
Subject: Hyper-Expert 1.2

As the subject suggests, I am looking for a copy of Hyper-expert for
Hypercard 1.2.  I've found copies of it for 2.0 and higher, but can't
find a copy that our Hypercard will take.
Suggestions?

Please reply directly to me, at bechard@mercury.uregina.ca

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 13:08:29 GMT
From: pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #130

In Info-Mac Digest V9 #130, Juan (JPons@Ollie.ClarkU.Edu) writes with
regard to his Wholesale 54/Warehouse 54 horror story.

Just to balance the record, let me tell you my experience with Wholesale
54.  Two weeks ago I finally decided to buy one of these firesale-priced
Quantum Pro 105 meg hard disks.  I called all the companies, checked on
price, availability, shipping cost, etc.  Wholesale 54 came in with the
lowest pricing and shipping.

I called and no doubt talked to Donna!  The phone was answered on the
third ring, and the operator was courteous and honest.  She said it
would be 5 to 7 days before the drive shipped, and that it would go out
FedEx two-day.  Fine.  $363 please.  VISA.

That was a Thursday.  So, I exepected to not see the drive until Friday
of the following week at the earliest.  Imagine my suprise when I got
home Monday at 4:30 p.m. and found the drive waiting for me!  Excellent
delivery time.  It also shipped with the latest version of OnTrack's
DiskManagerMac (2.25), which no one else was advertising.

My experience with Wholesale 54 was a good one, and I have reccommended
them to others.

Paul

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 13:02:08 EDT
From: Paul Devalier <PAD@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: INFORMATION REQUEST: MacPassword

Hello,

      I have searched the cp, ex, demo, util, and app directories on sumex-aim
but have not found a cdev called MACPASSWORD, which was not a fully functional
product but was shareware $35 for a fair security program. Anyone seen it?

      ALSO, I would like to have several users log on to a Macintosh II si with
a large hard drive, running System 7, in much the same way one would log onto
a network. Is this possible? Are there any commercial/shareware programs which
will do this? Or, would it be very difficult to implement? I have never done
any MACINTOSH programming, but have done so on other platforms and I am very
familiar with the Mac, I just haven't actually *programmed*. If I had pointers
to some basic source code, would this be too difficult for me? (Yes, I've heard
the Mac programming horror stories)

     ONE MORE QUESTION: Anyone heard of/seen a liquid crystal display or other
flat screen which would work with a Macintosh IIsi? I would love to travel
with it because it is very light, but the heavy screen keeps me grounded.

     THANK YOU to everyone who responded about the Mandelbrot program I was
looking for.  The name was Mandelbrot by Ben Haller. Someone sent it to me
but, unfortunately, it was mangled in the mailing. But I have a name now, so
it shouldn't be a problem.

     Any information concerning the above would be appreciated.

Paul Devalier
PAD@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1991 22:06:44 EDT
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Leaving your mac on?

I have a question about leaving my machine on.  A computer person at
my university claims that it is better to leave your machine on all
the time, because restarting it harms the machine.  He syas if you're
not paying for electricity, it shouldnt be a problem.

If you pay for electricity, he thinks a good compromise is to start
the machine on the morning and turn it off at night.  Any thoughts on
this?  Any official responses from Apple or the drive makers?

Kieran O'Connor

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (internet)
IOCONNOR@SUNRISE (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1991 07:47:40 PDT
From: Martin__Fass.WBST128@xerox.com
Subject: Macintosh Discourse

Maybe this will go down rather badly with a whole bunch of people, and in no
way do I want to appear self-righteous.  Well, maybe partly self-righteous.
The point: it is tiring, tiring, tiring to read so many complaints about what
software Apple or Claris or ANYBODY is not providing for free or for pennies.
(This includes statements which begin with words such as, THEY PROMISED...)
The rest of this point is that it is equally tiring to have the impression from
certain people sitting at their keyboards and displays that, as the old saying
goes, the world owes them a living.  Doesn't your butt hurt?
In short, speaking for myself, the Macintosh is what it has been from the first
day I saw it, a wonder.
Note: as one who doesn't always know what he is doing, am I sending this to the
right place so it might be added to the next Digest?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 91 07:58:34 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: MacTutor

Does anyone know how or where to get machine readable copies of the
source code printed in MacTutor?

feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu  or  feats@vtvm1

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 15:52 SST
From: "Postmasters - Info Sys & Comp Sci, NUS." <CSSNET%NUSDISCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mail forward from user HOTUCKCH@NUSDISCS.BITNET - Reply to original sender

From: "Ho Tuck Chiun Rodney" <sunface!HOTUCKCH@cs.orst.edu>
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Subject:   Upgrade news from the publishers

   I've purchased Think Pascal, SAM v2.0, White Knight v11.8 and a
whole host of other programs and sent in my registration cards.
I've that there were upgrades to some and the programs and I've not
been informed.  I would love to get these programs upgraded, but
without any news about upgrades, I can't.  It seems like some other
friends of mine who also live in Singapore are not getting news
about upgrades from the software houses.
   I'd just like to know if any one else out there has ever had this
kinda problem.  It's really frustrating and I hope the reason that
I'm not getting the news isn't because I live in Singapore (or
some other country outside the US, for that matter)...
   Thanx.

--
Rodney Ho
HOTUCKCH@nusdiscs.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 11:07:10 PDT
From: dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: MandelZot 3.0.2 documentation

> Has anyone succeeded in reading the documentation for MandelZot 3.0.2,
> posted in the Info-Mac archives?  It's a MacWrite document.  My (old)
> copy of MacWrite crashes when trying to read it, and Microsoft Word 4.0
> gives me a quasi-infinite number of "error, part of file will be
> ignored" messages.  I had no trouble with the docs for an earlier
> version of MandelZot.

Yes, other people are having problems with it as well.  The MacWrite file
was created by exporting the original (WriteNow 2.2) document through
WriteNow's translator.  This is the same process I'd used in creating the
documentation for 3.0, and it had worked fine.  Based on the error messages
I've seen, I suspect that the 3.0.2 documentation has hit some sort of
limit in the WriteNow translator, and has ticked it into creating an
invalid MacWrite file.

I'll send you a copy of the documentation in Word RTF format... WriteNow
seems to have no trouble creating this format correctly.

	-dave-

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 91 23:27:04 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: mirror technologies support?

I have the Syquest removable drive that I bought from Mirror Technologies
a while ago.  Mechanically the drive works just fine.  However, the init
exhibits problems when mounting cartridges formatted with non-Mirror
utilities -- I have Microtech removable at work and several cartridges
formatted by Mactel.  Unless the very first cartridge inserted after
startup is Mirror's, the disk icon does not show up -- just the name.
This makes working with the drive difficult and sooner or later the system
freezes when I click at that title.  The init from Microtech as well as the
one from Mactel handle all cartridge equally and without such problems.
Well, I have make a call to Technical Support at Mirror complaining about
that problem.  Their response kind of shocked me.  The guy I talked to
stated that their init meets Apple standards and thus there is nothing wrong
with it.  It is the other guys who do not format their cartridges correctly.
He also said that if other inits work for me I should use them.  Gee, is
this a great support or what???  And their ads claim excellence in user
support... I just hope I have no problems with hardware and I don't have
to test it.  By the way, their Media Manager software, formatting utility,
has quite fancy interface but it is quite poor in terms of features.

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 7 Jun 1991 10:15:03 EDT
From: "Jeffrey N. Fritz" <JFRITZ%WVNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Optimization Woes

I just learned an important lession - be careful with old optimizers running
on System 7.0.

I recently upgraded my IIsi to System 7.0.  Since I wanted the use Virtual
Memory (I had been using Connectix package under 6.0.7), I decided to allow
7.0 to create a VM section on my external Jasmine Direct Drive 45.  To my
way of thinking, optimising a hard drive with a VM section made great sense.
So I went ahead and used Norton's Speed Disk on the Jasmine.  The result
was that the next time I went to use the drive it was dead.  The IIsi
couldn't mount it and Jasmine's own software complained that the drive
motor was running too slow.  After all else failed, I was forced to reformat
the drive (which is now working just fine again).

This is not a flame against Symantec, Apple or Jasmine.  In fact, if there
is anyone who deserves my flame its yours truly for taking such risks
(actually it wasn't that risky - everything was backed up before hand).  My
point is that doing critical tasks like optimising under 7.0 (or maybe
even 6.0.x) should be done with great care.

Prior to using speed disk, I had used Disk Express II to optimise my disks
under 6.0.7.  I never much problem with DE (except for the fact that it
never seemed able to entirely optimise my partitions).  Maybe I should
?.

------------------------------

Date: 07 JUN 91 10:05:35 CDT
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Segmenting RoboWar to 256k mail segments.

    Could someone E-Mail me regarding sending /game/robowar-212.hqx; 378K,
to our location via BitNet.  We cannot receive anything larger than 250K
and if ROBOWAR was segmented via StuffIt, then we'd be set.
    I teach special ed and work with handicaps with many different
platforms, hence, I'm always looking for various alternative games and
utilities.  RoboWar sounds like it is something that could be used
here.  If so, whomever segments it and sends it this way would be providing
a service beyond mere game-playing.
    Many thanks!!!

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET> | ATARI ST USERS OF EAST TEXAS

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1991 15:13 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: System 7.0, aliases, icons

Be careful: aliases are like handles.
For example, you may have a System Folder with an alias of the Control Panels
folder in the Apple Menu Items folder, and maybe all these Control Panels are
aliases of real items contained in a Utilities folder. Then you copy the System
Folder (and the Utilities folder) to another disk, let's say to another Mac.
All the aliases will be aliases of the _original_ items on the original disk,
not aliases of the items you just copied, so they'll all be invalid.
Another case is when you just move or copy in two steps some items and their
aliases: you may end up having to create all the aliases again.

We all know by now that one can paste a PICT or an ICN# on top of the icon in
the Get Info... window of any file to replace its icon.
But this changes the resource fork of the file! And if this file doesn't have
one, the Finder will add it. Now, this can be fun, but since it doesn't add
'BNDL' resources to applications, and it modifies the file resource (I know I
can remove the icon by backspacing on the icon the Get Info... window), wouldn't
it be wiser to modify just the desktop file?

- Alberto Ricci.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1991 13:36:19 +0200
From: JM CORTES <EPARI@etsii.unizar.es>
Subject: Think C database objects (reflexions of mine)

Here is an opinion of mine:

	Sometimes, I think to make some code to manage data in a database
permanent-object fashion. The essential doesn't be to create the database or to
enter the data. The hardest work is to query the database to retrieval the
data. If you have used SQL a bit, you can understand what I want to say. The
best way I discovered to query an object database is overloading operators.
Using other options could take the object database as flat database. Then, any
effort to _objectize_ the code may be lost the time: It's preferable to use the
code you have "asis".

	Think C hasn't overload operator, and It's seems the new version isn't
C++. You may think to use the CStack, CList and CCluster classes to implement
databases, but I believe these classes must be to use as a distinct object
reunion, derived from the same parent, no for same-pattern objects, as common
databases are.

	Before you move into a _objectize_ crusade, think in the pros and
contras of the new objects you'll generate. If you translate your tons of
generic codes in object ones, you not get more performance, but a new culture
for calling conventions.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 11:13:37 PDT
From: dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: TrueType support on DeskWriter

> Are there any plans for support of TrueType on the HP Deskwriter?  I
> bought one last night.  I have the TrueType INIT and would like to get
> into TrueType ASAP.

Install the INIT in your System folder, install some TrueType fonts in your
System file using Font/DA Mover 4.1, and everything should work fine.

If you print documents using fonts for which the DeskWriter driver does
not supply an HP-style outline, the driver will ask the Font Manager
for a suitable oversized font bitmap.  If you've installed a TrueType
outline for the font, the TrueType INIT will construct the necessary bitmap
and hand it back to the DeskWriter driver... the driver won't know the
difference between this dynamically-created bitmap, and a static bitmap
>From your System file.

Try installing a few of the freeware TrueType fonts that have been posted
to Info-Mac... they should work fine.

> P.S.  I remember reading a while back about a change in the ink used in the
>      DeskWriter.  What was the change and should I worry about it?

HP reformulated the ink so that it becomes much less water-soluble once
it has been applied to the paper... in effect, it binds itself to the
paper fibers much more thoroughly than the old ink did.  You can use the
new ink for addressing envelopes, without worrying too much about whether
the ink will run if the envelope gets wet (it may, slightly, but enough will
remain bound to the paper to leave the address fully legible.  The old
ink could have washed away entirely.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1991 15:10 CDT
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: VGA for IIci?

I am posting this question for a friend who does not have access to the net:

Is it possible to hook up a VGA monitor to a Mac IIci?  I am looking at buying
a IIci, but I also must buy a VGA monitor for my DOS machine at work, and I'd
like to avoid spending money for two screens.  If this can be done, what kind
of cards are needed?  Thanks.

Scott Sharpe

Please reply to BPRODEN@UALR.BITNET, and I will forward the info.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 20:47:59 HST
From: Phil Conley  <hpa@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: ZModem XCMD

I am looking for a ZModem XCMD to use on a Hypercard BBS. Does anyone know of
anyone who's done it and where I can get it?

Also, thanks to those who have responded to my System 7.0 query (re the funny
message when I start my machine). It appears that I do not have the extra
PRAM that the newer machines have and so I'm stuck with the message. I use
the XPRAM INIT, but it loads after the message comes up -- oh, well. I'm
planning on getting a new machine pretty soon anyhow.

Dameon Welch
hpa@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 10:03:55 -0700
From: "HAC2GM!AVIARY::C43GDS       (Gary D ("DCL") Shapiro)"@hac2arpa.uucp       (Gary D ("DCL") Shapiro)       (Gary D ("DCL") Shapiro)       (Gary D ("DCL") Shapiro)

I am looking for a Mac word processor that can emulate DEC's EDT
editor, especially the keypad.  (I've been tied down 8 hours a
day for 11 years in front of a DEC terminal connected to VAXes,
and my fingers "think" EDT keypad.)

Gary D. "DCL" Shapiro	Internet:  C43gds@aviary.gm.hac.com

End of Info-Mac Digest