info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/12/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 11 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 136

Today's Topics:

      [*] Almanac Stack 1.92
      [*] Fernmail 1.0
      [*] hp deskwriter cartridge refill
      [*] JustClick 1.00
      [*] NumberCrunch 1.41
      [*] Public Folder 1.01
      [*] suntar1.01
      [*] System 7 icl8 Replacement Resources
      92 DPI Mac Plus screen?
      Apple Customer Relations
      Balloon Help
      CDEVs
      difference between trashing all files and initializing
      Disk Librarian & System 7
      Filemaker Pro question
      Goodbye to visible differences btwn Mac and MS-DOS?
      GRE prep software
      How can I use system 7 without hard disk?
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #135
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #135 -- Balloon Help
      Looking for a Text string file searcher
      Mac Magazine Indexes
      MacTutor Files/Source
      Memory on the personal laserwriter NT
      Mirror Technologies Support (again)
      other info-macs?
      PD CD-ROMs
      print spoolers
      Problems with Suitcase updater.
      Siemens DSS 9750 Emulation for Mac II wanted.
      Turning your Mac off??????
      VAX, PostScript, Old LW

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 21:38:05 -0400
From: mike%beow.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu (Mike Kazmierczak)
Subject: [*] Almanac Stack 1.92

Here is version 1.92 which supersedes version 1.91. Differences include
correction of intl resource handling (brought up by Australian user) and
addition of geocentric distances. For new users, this HyperCard 2.0 stack
calculates planetary positions as well as the sun and moon. Included is
info on astrophotography, coordinate transformation from epochs and other
things.
$5 shareware to X Systems
11 payers, 1 in the mail, will you be #13??

Mike Kazmierczak
mike@beow.uucp

[Archived as /info-mac/card/almanac-192.hqx; 96K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 23:04:36 -0800 (PST)
From: dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] Fernmail 1.0

This posting contains Fernmail... a "mail user agent" for use with
Macintosh uucp software such as uupc 2.1 and Mac/gnuucp 4.3.

Fernmail is a program which allows you to read, compose, send, store,
and manipulate electronic-mail messages.  It's compatible with both
uupc 2.1 and Mac/gnuucp 4.3 (once it has been properly configured, in
either case).  I wrote it because I couldn't stand to use the "pcmail"
program which comes with uupc 2.1, and wanted a mailer with a more
Mac-like user interface.

Fernmail has a built-in BinHex encoder and decoder, allows multiple
mailboxes to be open at once, allows you to compose messages and attach
large (text or binary) files at transmission time, has some useful
extension to the Edit menu, and has a bunch of other features that
you might find useful.

Included in this posting are the application itself, documentation (in
the form of a DOCMaker application), and a skeleton/sample
configuration fiel for Fernmail.  This posting does not include the
uupc or Mac/gnuucp software... those packages are available from most
well-stocked Internet archives and bulletin-board systems.  [Note...
setting up a uucp connection, on a Mac or elsewhere, isn't a job for
the utter novice... read the Nutshell handbook on uucp before trying
it at home.]

Fernmail is shareware.

---
Dave Platt

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/fernmail.hqx; 178K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 20:54:43 +0200
From: Karl Pottie <GHGAQA0%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] hp deskwriter cartridge refill

This text describes how to refill your Deskwriter or DeskJet ink cartridges.
It is a summary of experiences by different people.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/refill-hp-cartridge.txt; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 16:51:11 -0400
From: castlet%gtewd.dnet@gte.com (TIM CASTLE, A.K.A. 'T.C.')
Subject: [*] JustClick 1.00

What follows is purported to be a fix for the lack of application
switching by clicking on the menu bar icon. Discovered it on a
local BBS, and remembered that a lot of net-heads have been
lamenting its passing with the advent of Sys7.

And by gum, why not? I've decided not to upgrade to System 7 until
all the patches and fixes have come out that'll make it act like
System 6.0.x!

    -Tim
     castlet%gtewd.dnet@gte.com

[Archived as /info-mac/ex/just-click.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 10:43:33 -0700
From: sml@wdl1.wdl.loral.com (Steve M Lazarus)
Subject: [*] NumberCrunch 1.41

Here, downloaded from America Online, is NumberCrunch 1.41. NumberCrunch
is a programmible scientific calculator. Entry is typed into a screen rather
than via a graphic calculator. The system also has plotting capability.

Steve Lazarus

[Archived as /info-mac/app/number-crunch-141.hqx; 173K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 91 12:29:06 EDT
From: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner)
Subject: [*] Public Folder 1.01

To all,

This version of Public Folder also contains documentation, this is the only
change.  Downloaded from the Claris support area of America Online.

Public Folder is available free to all licensed users of Claris products.

NOTE:
Public Folder is not compatible with the Apple CD-ROM drive.  Do not create
a public folder on your hard disk if you are using an Apple CD-ROM drive
that is directly connected to your Macintosh. Your system could crash when
others are fetching files from your public folder, but you can fetch files
>From other network users without a problem.

-- Pat

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/public-folder-101.hqx; 55K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 13:51:48 MET DST
From: speranza@cs.unibo.it (Sauro Speranza)
Subject: [*] suntar1.01

 This file contains suntar, a public domain program which allows you to
exchange files between a Macintosh and a UNIX workstation. You write
files to a floppy disk and read them on the other machine (suntar runs
on the Macintosh, under UNIX you use tar, the tape archiver program
bundled with every copy of UNIX, and anyway available in public domain
>From GNU, prep.ai.mit.edu).
 Its hardware requirements are a Mac with a Superdrive and a UNIX
workstation having a 720 or 1440 Kbytes, 3.5 inch, MFM floppy disk drive.
Sorry, other drives use incompatible physical formats, no software could
read a UNIX disk in a 800k Mac drive, or read a 800k disk in a UNIX
workstation (except, obviously, a Mac II running A/UX).
 For the skeptics, almost all 1440k drives are compatible with the IBM
format, it's cheaper and simpler to use an already known technology,
hence they are all reciprocally compatible.
 Suntar allows you to easily download public domain software from all
those ftp-able places accessible from UNIX computers in the Universities,
but there is a problem: if I need a downloading program to download
anything, how can I download my first downloading program ?
If you had suntar on a Macintosh you could dowload your first copy of
it, but if it will be your first copy you do not have it: it looks
like a recursive problem. Apple File Exchange can't help, since its only
output format is a data fork-only file, while an application is a resource
fork-only file.
  Fortunately, there is a solution, if you follow the instructions: this
file is NOT a .hqx file, it has a format of its own which allows you to
perform the magic.
a) download this file to a UNIX machine (if you are reading here, you
   should have already done that)
b) at the UNIX prompt, type
         uudecode name-of-this-file
c) get a 720k or 1440k formatted disk. You may format it on the UNIX
   workstation (type fdformat), on a IBM PS/2 or on the Mac, either
   under Apple File Exchange (the command just above Quit in the file
   menu) or the Finder (1440K only) and insert it in the drive in the
   UNIX workstation
d) discover the device name of your floppy disk drive: on a SPARCstation
   1 it is /dev/rfd0, if that name does not work type "man -k disk" to
   get help. Also fdformat should say you which is the right name
e) type
        tar cvf /dev/rfd0 suntar.dump
f) eject the disk and take it to your Mac
g) insert the disk in the floppy drive: you thought that was a disk in
   UNIX format, since you formatted and wrote it under UNIX, but you'll
   discover it is a Macintosh disk too, containing an executable version
   of suntar and a TeachText file of documentation
h) remember that that disk is NOT a 100% Mac disk: you could have some
   problems with it, and you will surely have them if you continue to
   use it on the Mac, so make a copy of its contents and reformat it, or
   choose to use it as a UNIX disk.
i) use suntar as you wish. Suggestion: begin by downloading some
   compactors and format converters.

 We would like to add a little data base of compatible and incompatible
hardware to the documentation of the 1.1 version, so if you are one of
the first users of suntar or your hardware is pretty unusual please let
us know anyway.

E-mail in INTERNET
         Sauro Speranza
         speranza@cs.unibo.it

[Archived as /info-mac/unix/suntar-101.uu; 128K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1991 18:40:13 CDT
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: [*] System 7 icl8 Replacement Resources

For those who would like to improve the appearance of the Finder
under System 7, but lack the time or nerve to create their own
color icons (NOTE: COLOR), I'm submitting this Binhex'd & Stuff'd
ResEdit file containing icl8, ICN#, ics8, & sicn resources with
IDs matching those in the System file. Simply use ResEdit to copy
all these resources into the System file, allowing existing items
with the same IDs to be replaced. This will change the default
color icons used for folders & plain documents, as well as those
used for the new System 7-specific stuff: all the folders within
the System folder, Stationary files, default Extension files, and
so forth. Some of these icons originated with SunDesk and all the
other Finder colorizers used in pre-System 7 days (they were
great while they lasted). Feel free to modify them to your own
preferences - that's one of the great things with the Mac. One
tip if you use these - don't bother using Grey as a label color,
since it will appear exactly the same. Most of these icons are
grey-shaded, and therefore do not change when a Grey label color
is applied. Probably why Apple chose the ugly color it did, but
with 8-bit video in my IIsi there are more than enough colors
to go around. Those with 24-bit color (I'm R=0, G=65535, B=0 with
envy) have even more, so there. Have fun!

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/sys7-icl8-replacements.hqx; 26K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 07:33:32 PDT
From: Toby_Weir-Jones@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: 92 DPI Mac Plus screen?

 [This is being relayed on for my friend at uog01162@uoguelph because his
 account is no longer available to him]

 Netfolk,
       I have a Mac Plus that is 3 years old and has video sweep board
-problems.
 Specifically, a vertically-shrunk screen with a 1.5 cm. black strip on top
 and a 2 cm. black strip on the bottom.  This is great for 92 DPI viewing of
 the 512x342 Mac Plus screen but otherwise completely useless.  If anybody
 has Larry Pina's book "Repair and Upgrade Secrets of the Macintosh" could
 they please contact me and tell me what is failing?  Please don't assume that
 others will respond - I am desperate!  You can contact me at this address:

 usern188@cc.sfu.ca

 Dieder Bylsma,
 c/o Toby Weir-Jones, usern188@cc.sfu.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 09:07:53 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Apple Customer Relations

Claris has an Internet address for their "Claris Customer Relations, CLA",
which is 'CLARIS.CR@AppleLink.Apple.COM'.  Does anybody know if Apple also
has an Internet address for their Customer Relations department?  Thanks!

feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 08:31:13 PST
From: ISCJCW@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Balloon Help

From:  Jerry Wilcox             ISCJCW@UCCVMA    (415)987-0516
Donald R. Proctor writes:
>...Frankly, I'd rather have SuperClock taking up the same place when
>I use, for instance, Microsoft Word 4.0

I use Word 4.0 and SuperClock under System 7 and they both coexist on the
menu bar with balloon help and the application icon. SuperClock just
moves over to give balloon help some room.

Disclaimer: If UC wanted me to speak for it, I'd have a different job.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 09:09:29 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: CDEVs

I FTPed the 'after-dark-icon-crash-20.hqx' member from WUARCHIVE.WUSTL.EDU
and placed it on my MAC IIsi.  I DeBinHexed it and unstuffed it (if I
remember correctly) and tried to use it, with no luck!  Can you give me a
quick how-to?  Do I need something else to get this to work?  I cannot
remember exactly how I tried to start the application, but all I get is a
periodic monkey squeek!  I remember going into the settings and changing some
to meet my needs and nothing except squeeks.  It's as if the timer is going off
and it's trying to do something but no change in the screen!  Do you have any
suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Can anyone explain how to install a cdev and exactly what a cdev is?  I believe
it stands for a Control Panel Device and you are supposed to place it in the
system folder and reboot.  What is the difference between an init and cdev?
The MAC reference manual does not explain cdevs, how they work and how to
install them.  My library's copy of the Mac Bible is unavailable and I want to
know more about these things.  Mac's are fun, but they don't document very
well.

feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 13:50:51 EDT
From: adam%TNOAL1.TNO.NL@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject: difference between trashing all files and initializing

The problem you may have encountered is the following:

When the files (or some of the files) on the disk have been put in the
Trash under system 7.0, and the Trash has not been emptied there would
be 0 items on the disk, but the disk would not be empty at all...

I think that when you insert such a disk in a Mac running system < 7.0
you'll have the problem you described. An empty disk, but still no way
to write anything to it.

If you'd do that under system 7.0 the Mac would kindly tell you, that
it cannot write the file onto the disk UNLESS you allow him (her?) to
empty the Trash.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Adam van Gaalen (adam@tnoal1.tno.nl)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 14:24:52 PLT
From: HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Subject: Disk Librarian & System 7

Does anybody know whether there is a new version of Disk Librarian that
is Multifinder-friendly at System 7-compatible?  I am a registered user,
but the author lives in Australia and simply requests a $10 check for
the latest upgrade; but before I do that I would like to know if there
IS an upgrade available.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 09:41:06 MDT
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Filemaker Pro question

I have a FileMaker Pro database that contains, among other things, fields
of names and addresses. Each record has one primary address field and one
alternate address field. Both of these address fields must be filled
in. What I would like to do is have FileMaker automatically put the primary
address into the alternate address field - either automatically or when
a button is clicked. Does anyone know if this is possible? I tried linking
the file to itself, but that did not work.

Any help given is greatly appreciated. It is a real pain to retype the
alternate address fields (not to mention City, State, Zip, etc) when I have
just entered them in the primary fields.

Bob Bolt
bbolt@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 08:31 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Goodbye to visible differences btwn Mac and MS-DOS?

Greetings,

Please excuse the cross posting, but I wanted to reach as many Mac users as
possible.

My subject refers to the apparent demise of MacroMaker... that most limited,
yet functional (and free) of productivity enhancements that separate (among
other things, IMHO) Macintosh from MS-DOS. Sure, it wasn't the best macro
facility, macros couldn't be editted, there were no conditional controls and
creating a macro that operated across two or more applications was problematic,
at best; but it served a purpose, I rely on it heavily, and it WAS one more
advantage of Mac over other platforms.

I love System 7.0 and the new Finder, even if I have to wait for Dayna to
rewrite the driver for their EtherNet card. Most of my applications are fully
compatible (even Microsoft products ;) ) only a few just won't run... a truely
amazing feat of sw engineering, in my mind. So why not MacroMaker? In fact, the
only problem I have with MacroMaker is that its menu appears in weird places,
especially in HyperCard (it figures!). But it works, and I can't afford, and am
offended to have to purchase, a third party substitute for something that used
to be part of the operating system.

If you agree, even if just in principle, then perhaps we can wake up Apple like
we woke up Lotus (remember MarketPlace CD-ROM?). I'm not sure who to target an
email campaign at, any suggestions? I hope Apple is listening.

Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 13:56:36 -0400
From: castlet%gtewd.dnet@gte.com (TIM CASTLE, A.K.A. 'T.C.'")
Subject: GRE prep software

Someone recently posted a huzzah for the StudyWare SAT prep software, and it
made me wonder if there is GRE prep software out there. Anyone know of any
for the Mac? I'm getting ready to plunge back into the academic world this
fall, and I need to take the GRE before December. It'd be nice if I could
get ready for it on my Mac.

Reply to me directly, I'll post a summary here, if there's an interest.

     -Tim Castle, GTE Gov't Systems, Mountain View, CA
      castlet%gtewd.dnet@gte.com

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jun 91 08:17:59 GMT
From: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim)
Subject: How can I use system 7 without hard disk?

Hi, there,

Would any people out there can tell me that what is the minimum size of
System 7?

I have a 2.5M Mac+ without hard disk, but connected to some hard disks (on
which I can read and write) though Appleshare.  I am wondering if I can use a
flopy containing the minimum set to start Mac, and use something like INITshare
(a great INIT/CDEV) to load some other systems stuff stored on hard disk?

Can any one give me a pointer?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I will summarize if I get enough responses and interests.

--Tony Lim

INTERNET:     lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au

******* It is not easy to live with Mac without hard disk these days, *******
*******      But how long can those with 100M HD still live well?     *******
*******                     I am totally lost....                     *******

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 11:44:06 EDT
From: RAS9@jaguar.uofs.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #135

Anyone know of freeware/shareware educational games for Macintosh?
(Oldest kid is 14, youngest is 2, anything in between would be great.)
Thanks
ras9@jaguar.uofs.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 10:59:52 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #135 -- Balloon Help

Greetings,

Donald R. Proctor   (415/987-0356) <spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu> writes:

>Sure, Balloon Help is cute, conceivably even useful.  But does it
>warrant its own little icon in my menu bar?  Frankly, I'd rather have
>SuperClock taking up the same place when I use, for instance, Microsoft
>Word 4.0.
>
>Why can't Balloon Help just be a DA--er, Apple Menu Item?

Well, the best reason I can think of is that by making it a separate menu,
they can make it available ALL THE TIME.  If you're in a modal dialog box, the
balloon help will still be available, unlike the Apple menu, so you can get
help on the options in the dialog.

As people start taking advantage of the balloon help features, more programs
are likely to use it as their online help, and then it should really be more
than "cute."

--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 16:08:16 CDT
From: CC41000 <CC41%SDSUMUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Looking for a Text string file searcher

I am looking for a PD/shareware application that will search through
a file or files for a text string and then display the string in
context.  I was unable to find anything at sumex-aim.  Am I overlooking
something at sumex-aim or is there another place I could find it?

Thanks,
GB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 10:31 EST
From: SYSTEM%MV5.decnet@mv2.nswc.navy.mil
Subject: Mac Magazine Indexes

Are there Mac-readable indexes to MacWeek, MacUser, MacWorld, etc.
available either commercially or in the public domain?

Bill Moore    bmoore@mv2.nswc.navy.mil   703-663-8851

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jun 91 08:19:00 EDT
From: Richard (R.A.) Butt <RBUTT@bnr.ca>
Subject: MacTutor Files/Source

You can get all the MacTutor articles and source code files for
free by dialing their BBS 'MouseHole' @ 408-738-5791.

Richard Butt
Bell-Northern Research Ltd.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 09:21 MST
From: DAVID KLEIN <PAKLEIN@ccit.arizona.edu>
Subject: Memory on the personal laserwriter NT

     I've found an interesting situation....

     Setup: Mac SE, 2.5 meg, sys 7.0 attached to personal laserwriter NT
            via a **8 pin printer cable (not an appletalk box)**

     The other day, I grabbed a copy (not from info-mac) of widgets 2.0
(I'm not 100% sure of the version, but it was created in 1987). I did
this to try to remove the startup page (I think it worked, but this
has not been tested yet, and is inconsiquential). ANYWAY, when I checked
the laserwriter's status (just for fun) It claimed that I only had
512 K of ram TOTAL (97 K used).

     Now, the startup pages claim I do have 2 meg, but I have never
checked this via the computer. I did not download any fonts or anything...
Is this a problem with:

        a) just a bug in Widgets (its the PD promo version from disktop)

        b) incompatibilites with sys 7.0

        c) ditto for the new laserwriters

        d) a problem with the fact that I am not using appletalk cables

        e) Simms are loose, and the laserwriters internal check does not
           realize this...

        f) or am I just unaware of the *true* memory structure of the
           personal laserwriters??????

Thanx,
David Klein (PAKLEIN@ARIZRVAX or PAKLEIN@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 04:20 PDT
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Mirror Technologies Support (again)

I received the following reply regarding Mirror Technologies support.  I am
taking the liberty of sharing this with fellow netters because I think it is
useful information.  I hope the author doesn't mind.

Text follows:

To: iyi4dtn@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU
Subject: Mirror Customer Support
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 91 23:13:33 PDT
From: Fred Feer <feerfs@RAND.ORG>

The recent exchange re: Mirror Technology's customer support prompts me to
weigh in with this experience.

I bought their PixelView II 19" monochrome monitor at the end of April 1990.
It came with a one year warranty. The display sputtered and died about 15
April 1991.

I called and a brief, coorteous and knowledgable dialogue indicated the
problem would not go away. They gave a return authorization number. I
shipped it back and ten days later a new monitor was delivered post paid.

The return shipping cost me about $65. I consider it cheap and it was as new
a pleasant experience as it could be.

Three loud ones for a company that seems to know which side its bread is
buttered on. Comes time to buy another piece of gear, Mirror will be on the
short list.

END OF MESSAGE

The following is my reply to Fred:

I agree with you on Mirror's customer service and support.  I've heard
numerous stories, including a similar one to yours about one of their
monitors, which was defective.  This person's monitor was completely covered
by their 30-day money back guarantee, so Mirror shipped out a new one at no
charge, and they even picked up the cost of shipping the defective one back
to Mirror.  Nice touch!

We just ordered their CD-ROM drive where I work, and the person who ordered
it didn't specify which SCSI cable that was needed, so they sent the
standard 50-pin/25-pin connector cable.  Unfortunately, we now have two
external SCSI devices, so we needed a daisy-chain (50-pin/50-pin) cable.
After calling them this morning, they are sending us the proper cable, free!
And we don't even have to send them the original cable!  They said it was
their fault for not asking which cable that we needed!  Impressive, to say
the least.

I believe that Mirror is going to continue to win over a lot of Mac owners
as time passes.  Their products are excellent, they have good prices and
their support and service is unrivaled (as far as hardware retailers are
concerned) in my book.

Gann

P.S. I must restate that I have no connection whatsoever with Mirror
Technologies, except that I am a satisfied customer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 14:16:21 EDT
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: other info-macs?

Hello,
     I guess I'm not to knowledgeable on where to look for other info-mac
stations besides the one at Stanford, but could anyone tell me where some are,
and what the ftp addresses are?
     Do most places have the same type of software?
     Thanks in advance!

George Lai
ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu
gl@iris.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 16:58:10 CDT
From: Chris Taylor <CC72%SDSUMUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PD CD-ROMs

I tried sending a message directly, but this CD didn't show up in the
summary of PD CDs.

Wayzata Technology Inc.
1-800-735-7321 or (612) 477-7321

The GEM CD-ROM.
The GEM (Generous Efforts of Many) CD-ROM for the Macintosh contains over 620MB
(17,500) files. The disk contains the newest Public Domain and Shareware softwar
e.  It has: 106 Megabytes of Art and Graphics, over 20 Megabytes of Businesses W
ork tools, 67 Megabytes of Sound and much more.

Suggested Retail Price: $119.00

Chris Taylor

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 11 June 1991 2:51pm CT
From: MCCULLOCH@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: print spoolers

Does anyone know of a print spooler which will work with system 7 and the
Imagewriter?  If not, does anyone know of any plans to upgrade any existing
spooler programs?  Thanks
Jim McCulloch
lyaa070@utxvm.bitnet or lyaa070@emx.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 08:54:56 EDT
From: "J. Feustle" <FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Problems with Suitcase updater.

I've tried updating my copy of Suitcase with the program most recently
posted to the archives. It updates Suitcase okay, but then the updated
version of Suitcase causes my system to hang as soon as I reboot. This
has also happened with earlier "updaters."

Upon rebooting, my IIcx (sys 6.05) will load all the inits and such,
give me a menu bar and an arrow-cursor, but then the menu immediately
disappears, the arrow alternates between the little watch and an arrow
and the screen flashes.

I would certainly appreciate any suggestions regarding remedies for this
situation.

Thanks.

Joe Feustle
FAC0395@UOFT01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 17:41:31 MEZ
From: Helmut ORTNER <U3011VAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Siemens DSS 9750 Emulation for Mac II wanted.

Hi netters|

Does anybody know of a software (and hardware if required) that emulates
a Siemens DSS 9750 Terminal on a Mac II?
Is it possible to use this emulation software in conjunction with an X25
board in the Mac?

Thanks for any help on these questions.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 14:04:17 EDT
From: adam%TNOAL1.TNO.NL@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject: Turning your Mac off??????

Are you kidding? I have 4 Macs at home, and we have about 40 of them at
the office... Believe me, they have been running for years now without
any problem...

I had one broken down Mac once, and guess what...

After having run for at least 5 years I decided to switch off one of my
Macs because I was going on holidays for 2 weeks...  When I came back and
switched it on again it was as dead as a doornail... Cost me 50 to get
it fixed, and that's about 00 more than 5 (I go on holidays about once
a year)!

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 08:59:16 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.bitnet@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: VAX, PostScript, Old LW

We are attempting to attach one of the origional LaserWriters via the
serial connection to a VAX for use as a postscript printer.  At the
last attempt the first page and one-half printed (out of a 40 page doc)
and then nothing.  Any hints?  Perhaps handshaking? We can't find the
manual for the LW so any settings there will have to be fairly detailed.
thanks.

End of Info-Mac Digest