info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/14/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 13 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 137

Today's Topics:

      "Finger" application for the Macintosh
      Accelerator boards for the SE ... again
      Again: Turning your Mac OFF???
      Any csh-like DA?
      Any tried/purchased aPostScript Level 2 printer?
      Apple Compatibility Checker Error
      AppleEvents
      atari transfer
      Balloon Help
      Balloon Writer
      Can't customize disk icon in System 7
      Changing WINDOW background colour
      English version of MacMul & GraphMu manuals
      Fourth Dimension -- manuals
      Hackintosh Plus and System 7
      HD Backup
      Improve the PostScript Draft Stamp for Word 4.0?
      Laserwriter startup page
      MacroMaker & System 7
      MacTutor files
      Optimization Woes
      SuperClock 3.9 & Word4
      System 7.0 Minimals
      System 7 w/o HD
      Tandy 102 and the Mac
      Turn it off or leave it on?

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 16:31:21 EDT
From: Peter Furmonavicius <PETER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: "Finger" application for the Macintosh

Hello.  Anyone know of any standalone "Finger" application, or DA, for
the Macintosh?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 09:17 N
From: <VJAL2314%DS0RUS54.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: Accelerator boards for the SE ... again

Ironically, one never pays enough attention to topics on the net until the
discussed problems come home to yourself. So sorry that this is the xxxth
request about accelerator boards ...

If anyone has experience with an 030 accelerator board from Total Systems,
or has filed something on them, I would be happy to get a short note from
you. I am interested in replacing a now dead MaraThon 020 on my Mac SE (Dove
Tech support was not much help so far). Of special interest: can I get my
4 MB from the motherboard to the accelerator, do I need INITs, what about
System 7 ?

Also, if anyone has experience with the Mobius full-page monitor that comes
with built-in 030 acceleration card ... see above.

Please respond via direct email, so we don't fill up this channel.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Frank Pohlemann                    BITNET/PROFS/JNET: vjal2314@ds0rus54.earn

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:21:17 EDT
From: adam%TNOAL1.TNO.NL@pucc.princeton.edu
Subject: Again: Turning your Mac OFF???

Hello all,

I am re-posting this because the previous one (at least the last part)
was close to unreadable because some-one or some-thing cut off my
dollar-signs...

--

Are you kidding? I have 4 Macs at home, and we have about 40 of them at
the office... Believe me, they hace been running for years now without

I had one broken down Mac once, and guess what...

After having run for at least 5 years I decided to switch off one of my
Macs because I was going on holidays for 2 weeks... When I came back and
switched it on again it was as dead as a doornail... Cost me 150 dollars
to get it fixed, and that is about 100 dollars more than the 55 dollars
I would have to pay for electricity (I go on holidays about once a year)!

Regards,
Adam van Gaalen (adam@tnoal1.tno.nl)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 10:26 ITA
From: Alessandro Giovini <GIOVINI%IGECUNIV.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Any csh-like DA?

Is there any Desk Accessory which emulates some of the features
of UNIX's csh shell? I often miss on my Mac the capability of
executing commands and/or scripts, and I don't want to switch to the
big MPW Shell for that. The basic shell language capabilities would
be enough (mv *.p ../sourc*, for example).
Thank you
  Alessandro Giovini

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 JUN 91 20:15:23 PDT
From: ""Micro Mauler"" <MICRO2.SCHWER@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Any tried/purchased aPostScript Level 2 printer?

Both Dataproducts and Hardware & Software that Fits are selling a
PostScript Level 2 laser printer that looks a lot like the Texas
Instruments microlaser printer.

Has anyone bought/demoed one of these puppies? Since PS Level 2 isn't
a product yet, I am wondering how these birds are selling Level 2
printers?

I'll summarize if there is enough input.  --Len Schwer schwer@unix.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 15:45:38 MDT
From: sharmony@nova.ta52.lanl.gov (Stephen C. Harmony)
Subject: Apple Compatibility Checker Error

Fellow netters,

I've found one serious error in the list of telephone numbers Apple's
Compatibility Checker 1.0 gave me for the software I need to upgrade. CC's
phone number for Baseline Publishing (publishers of Thunder 7, Color
MacCheese, Screenshot, Talking Moose, INIT Manager, and others) is wrong.
If you call that number, you get a Baseline Publishing in New York. The guy
I talked to was pretty courteous, considering he's probably handling a lot
of misdirected calls. The New York company is definitely not the one you
need to contact for upgrade info.

Let's spare this poor guy in New York a lot of nuisance phone calls and try
to contact Baseline some other way. I sent a mail message requesting
upgrade info to the Tech Support department's CompuServe address listed in
the back of the Thunder 7 manual. The manual also gives a phone number and
mailing address in Memphis, TN and AppleLink, GEnie, and America Online
e-mail addresses.

sharmony@nova.ta52.lanl.gov

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:13:12 -0700
From: John Pugh <jpugh@apple.com>
Subject: AppleEvents

Someone pointed me out as the man in the know and that may very well be, but I
thought I should clarify things.  First off, this is my new and prefered email
account.  They spelled my first name wrong, but that's nothing new.

Concerning AppleEvents: I am in charge of authorizing new AppleEvents and making
sure that submitted events are not duplicates of existing events.  I do not
create events.  I try to make sure that everyone uses the same events by using
my veto power.  Anyone can ignore me and do anything they want, but it won't be
published by Apple if I don't do it.  I am using a bit of an imperial I here.
I actually meet with a ton of other people who have greater knowledge than I in
these things, so I am not an ultimate authority.

Important facts to know about AppleEvents:  Read the registry and the Object
Support Model.  Both will be released onto the net when they are finalized.
Right now the beta versions are only available on the Apple CDs and Applelink.
Most people understand the AE manager, but not the OSM. The Object Model is very
important.  With it you can easily define an object and use standard Core events
on it.  Most people make the mistake of defining events as remote procedure
calls.  Suppose, for example, that you have a game.  You might be tempted to
create an event that moves a player in some direction for some distance. You
would make the player, direction, and distance into required parameters. This
is a fairly common RPC.  Instead, with the Object Model, you should define an
object cPlayer (or even cGame perhaps) and use the existing SetData Core event
to pass the player, direction, and distance properties to that object.  There
is a corresponding GetData event which can interrogate the state of an object.
The advantages in this example are small.  Notably you don't have to create a
new event.  Instead you create some abstract object that you can parse with the
help of the Object Support Library which just went final and will be available
soon.  This set of routines allows you to do complex object definitions and
manipulations simply.  The idea is that objects can be nested, so that you can
specify the equivalent of Hypercard's chunk expressions.  I.e. the third player
wearing red behind the dragon.  The OSL would help your program figure out
which players are behind the dragon by testing each one and then counting them
while testing to see if they are wearing red.  It actually makes the whole
object handling a lot simpler than it sounds.

The OSL and other tools will be released as soon as we can.  We are trying to
get the Registry finalized and available through APDA by MacWorld in August.
It's a difficult deadline.  The Registry contains all the standard objects and
events that we think should cover 80% of the need.  We shall see how accurate
that estimate is.

I think that the object model makes a lot of AppleEvent transactions pretty
darn simple, once you define your objects.  Coding will be relatively simple
due to the OSL and it's ability to do a lot of the difficult object parsing.
The AE Manager will also lose some of its complexity since the descriptor
building routines are the most difficult part and they will be handled through
the OSL too.  All in all, I think AppleEvents are going to make the Macintosh
a lot more powerful.  I had better sign off now though, I am starting to
proselytize.  ;^)

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:30:33 bst
From: Mr Gordon S Byron <gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk>
Subject: atari transfer

Any tips on transferring Atari files to Mac? Word Processor is called
first word plus???? Thanks

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 91 15:22 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: Balloon Help

>Well, the best reason I can think of is that by making it a separate menu,
>they can make it available ALL THE TIME.  If you're in a modal dialog box, the
>balloon help will still be available, unlike the Apple menu, so you can get
>help on the options in the dialog.
>
>As people start taking advantage of the balloon help features, more programs
>are likely to use it as their online help, and then it should really be more
>than "cute."
>
>--Mike

Mike--

Thank you for pointing this out. The other real advantage of balloon help is
that it is modeless. This means you can use it without stopping what you're
doing, and you can continue to work while it's active. With modal help systems,
you have to enter help mode, find the topic of interest, read the verbiage on
the topic and remember it, then go back to work mode and try it out. With
balloon help, you can turn it on, point at something, read the explanation and
try it out immediately.

You may be surprised to know the extent of balloon help as well. There are over
1300 balloons for the Finder alone. Imagine if it were well implemented for an
application like PageMaker...

By the way, if you want to see some great balloon help, look at Canvas 3.0 from
Deneba. To see some lousy balloon help, check out Excel 3.0. You'll see that
the balloon text is extremely brief, and tells you very little more than the
name of the command itself.
      __________________
     /                  \
     | The name of the  |
     | writer of this   |
     | letter. Works for|
     | Apple Computer.  |
     \ _________________/
    / /
   /-/
pat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:54:06 +0200
From: GHGAQZ0%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Balloon Writer

Would anybody be so kind as to send me a copy of Balloonwriter ?

karl

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 23:21 PST
From: CONDOF%CLARGRAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Can't customize disk icon in System 7

I've been having a problem in that I can't paste a custom icon into the Get
Info window for my hard drive. An Apple rep on America Online has confirmed
that this is due to a bug in the file sharing software in System 7. He said
that there was a utility by an Apple engineer to fix this bug, but he didn't
know where to get it. If anyone has it, I would appreciate a pointer to it
or if someone would post it to the archives....

replies to fredc@pro-humanist.cts.com or condof@clargrad.claremont.edu

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 91 02:18:03 GMT
From: steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell)
Subject: Changing WINDOW background colour

	Does anyone know how this is done. I would like to make the background
colour of my windows a dark blue, but cannot find a way to do it.

can system seven handle this option.

thanks

steve h

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 09:25:07 +0100
From: jean@biomac.univ-lyon1.fr
Subject: English version of MacMul & GraphMu manuals

    I am pleased to announce the availability of the English version of
MacMul and GraphMu manuals (MacMul and GraphMu are multivariate analysis
programs for Macintosh) .
     These manuals and the programs are freely available by anonymous
FTP to biomol.univ-lyon1.fr (134.214.100.42) under the form of Word 4
documents, either in macbinary format (in /pub/mac/macmulti/macbin) or
in compressed and binhexed format (in /pub/mac/macmulti/hqxs).
    The translation was carried out by the CEC (Commision of the
European Communities) Joint Research Center at Ispra (Italy) within
the framework of a Euro-course on Applied Multivariate Analysis in SAR
and Environmental Studies.
    I hope that these manuals will make the use of my programs easier.

Jean Thioulouse

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:15:52 -0400
From: dahanson@colby.edu (David A. Hanson)
Subject: Fourth Dimension -- manuals

  An experienced Mac programmer on our faculty is having
a lot of trouble doping out the commands and syntax for
Acius' Fourth Dimension.
  It's a wonderfully powerful tool, but the manuals seem
to be "lean, and sometimes almost misleading".  The book
by Timothy Knight is helpful but out of date.  Is there
an update in the works?
  Are there other sources of wisdom on how to use this
database program?

David Hanson
Colby College
dahanson@colby.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 22:53:43 HST
From: Phil Conley  <hpa@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: Hackintosh Plus and System 7

This message is intended to help people out who have a Hackintosh Plus
(i.e., a Mac 512ke upgraded to a Plus via third party hardware) and
are running System 7. If you're getting the following message below
(at startup), this message is for you:

"The driver for the selected Appletalk connection could not be found.
The built-in localtalk port will be used instead."

There are two ways to fix this problem -- both require the use of ResEdit.
Both of these methods work -- but they are not for the faint of heart.

Steve Meyer <G7D7K9@IRISHMVS.CC.ND.EDU> offers this method:

> Use ResEdit to open the System file (you get a message warning you
> to be careful, so click Ok), then open the DRVR resources, SELECT
> (don't open) the DRVR with the name ".ATP", then choose Clear from
> the Edit menu.  Close the System file and save changes.
> What this does is to cut out the AppleTalk driver from the system
> file.  I think the reason I was getting this message was that the
> AppleTalk driver was looking for an AppleTalk port, which it would have
> found if my machine had been a "real" MacPlus, but because my machine
> was originally a 512E it wasn't finding such a port and the
> AppleTalk Driver was complaining.  (I'm not certain about all that.)
> I haven't had any problems, and I stopped getting that message.  Note
> that if you do this, you won't be able to use AppleTalk (but I don't
> THINK that's possible on an upgraded 512E anyway, without a mother-
> board swap.  But I've never tryed to network with AppleTalk, since I
> don't have any other machines to network with.)

Fred Yeganeh <FYEGANEH%UMAB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>, on the other
hand, offers this method:

> Using Resedit open up the system file and find the resource labeled
> "lmgr" and open it up.  There will only be one type of that resource.
> Open this resource and do a find command for the following hex string :
> "612C 610E 554F 3F03 42A7 A988 544F 281F 4E75 7200"
> and change it to :
> "4E71 610E 4E71 4E71 4E71 4E71 4E71 281F 4E75 7200"
> save the new resource and don't worry about the dialog box warning
> about being unable to compress the resource.
>
> This patch prevents the alert box from interrupting and removing the
> startup screen and forcing you to wait to press the OK button.  However,
> it should allow the procedure to do its normal correction for the "error"
> it detected.

Personally, I prefer method 2 because it appears that you can still use
Appletalk, whereas with method 1 (removing the Appletalk Driver), you
can not.

Dameon Welch
GEnie: DWelch
Packet Radio: NH6TW@NH6SG.HI.USA.OC
Internet: hpa@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 10:27:31 CDT
From: JOHNSON%TWSUVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: HD Backup

Could someone suggest a good hard drive back up utility.  I have been
using HDBackup and since I had not had to Restore at any time had
assumed it was working correctly (Boo, bad idea).  I recently exchanged
my SE for a CI and discovered that some applications and utilities did
not restore correctly.  Also, I would hope for a utility that would not
reformat my hard disk but would just add restored files to anything that
might already be on there.
Thanks for any info
Brenda F. Johnson
Wichita State University
johnson@twsuvm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 02:52:34 PDT
From: Ken_Hughes@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Improve the PostScript Draft Stamp for Word 4.0?

Hello everybody,

  I think it would be really spiffy to modify the well-known Word
PostScript macro that prints greyscale COPY or DRAFT on the doc,
so as to cause it to add the filename and a timedate stamp.
This would make a great macro methinks.

  I only have one problem:  I can't figure out how to do it.
I guess that printers don't have clocks so you have to make
some kind of system call going out.  And I can't figure out the
currentfile object, or (%stdin) whatever, to get the filename.
[Of course, we can use Word's timedate stamp if necessary but it
is entwined with Word's page defs. Besides, we like to ps, right?]

  Perhaps you know how to do this?  I believe many others want to.
Post to me if you like and I'll put a conflation back on the net.

  [In trade, anybody who wants a really exquisite fractal fern
-- the one by Don Lancaster from the Jul 90 Byte -- can ftp it
>From my account here in Vancouver.  Just anonftp to mtsg.ubc.ca
(137.82.27.1) and "cd nudu" and "get fernfract.ps".  This yields
a textbook-quality illustration when done @ (eg.) 300000 'strokes'
but it takes about 35 minutes to crunch thru a laserwriter.

  There's also a version of the draft stamp in this account that
prints maximally faintly (minimally darkly?) at bottom right.
This file is called drafstamp.ps (only one "t").]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 08:55 EDT
From: GRX0107@uoft02.utoledo.edu
Subject: Laserwriter startup page

  I would like to stop the startup page from being printed on a
Laserwriter II NT and on a Personal Laserwriter NT. I searched the
archives for any information but could find nothing. Can anyone
point me in the right direction?
    Thanks,  Gary Pawlas    fac1893@uoft01.utoledo.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 14:57:05 CDT
From: DVW6760@geophy.tamu.edu
Subject: Loading System 7.0 problems

To anyone,

   Like everyone, it seems, I've downloaded System 7.0 from ftp.apple.com
in .image format, rebuild the six HD disks and installed the software
on one of my hard disks. The original idea was to have 6.0.X on my internal
hard disk and 7.0 on the external and switch between the two using
System Switcher, as suggested by someone else in this newsgroup. Problem:

     1) After designating the external (which is a partitioned, Ehman 105Q,
        bought last week) as the startup volume with System Switcher (1.1)
        and rebooting, the finder will not load. Specifically:

     2) The happy mac will appear and then within about 1 sec, my screen will
        jump and display (for about 1/4 sec) a checkerboard pattern then go
        back to plain grey. Then:

     3) What's decribed in 2) will happen over and over until I hit the
        interrupt key.

What I've done:

     1) Called Ehman. They assure me that their drivers as compatible with
        system 7.0.

     2) Checked the terminations on my SCSI daisy chain. Fine. (The disk
        is recognized and accessible fine when it is not designated the
        startup disk by System Switcher).

     3) Looked around for a more recent version of System Switcher and
        DOCUMENTATION. Maybe I'm not using it right (I just got it). Version
        1.1 seems to be the most recent version, at least on Infomac and
        at Macserve@PUCC.

Any ideas System 7.0 veterans? The plan is to be able to have them coexist
(them being 6.0.7 and 7.0) for about 6-10 months while the stuff I absolutely
depend on day-to-day gets updated to be 7.0 compatible/friendly. I do not
want to put 7.0 on the internal startup disk, which may solve this problem
temporarily. But shouldn't SystemSwitcher work in my case? Any help would
be appreciated. I'll post a summary.

Dave Wiltschko
Department of Geology
Texas A&M Univ.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 8:30:06 CDT
From: DAVE@gergo.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: MacroMaker & System 7

Although I don't use MacroMaker (or rather, didn't use it when it used to work)
I think that perhaps there are two solutions to the problem. First is to inform
Apple that you use (or used to use) MacroMaker frequently, mostly, religiously,
etc. and would like to know why it has been dropped from the standard System
software suite, and ask that they reconsider the decision. It is possible that
it will return in a later upgrade (System 7.x) rewritten to use pure AppleEvent
or at least support it.
The second option is to contact Claris asking if, perhaps, MacroMaker was given
to them to rework, as HyperCard (considered by Apple to no longer be System
software) was transferred. If not, and Apple has no plans to rework MacroMaker,
then users who do not wish to have to buy a third-party macro utility, and most
certainly don't want to try to re-record all their macros for all the programs
and Finder stuff, (oops - this is a rather long and convoluted sentence) should
ask Claris if they would consider taking it over. Of course, if this is the
case, you might have to wait a while for a System 7-compatible version, and
may be required to pay out some money to buy it (as with HyperCard).
I do think that Apple should reconsider, even though I don't use it myself. It
may not do much, or be all-powerful, but the average person using the Mac at
home, or at work, who is not an expert, not technically minded, and does not
have access to the viscous thought-exchange information sources on the net, the
person for whom the term "the rest of us" is really meant, finds far more power
in a simple utility like this. Begins to learn, and to speak with pride at how
much they can do on their computer. Others listen, and possibly even buy one of
their own. And learn, with awe, what power is...
(Boy, does that sound like a commercial, or what?)
Dave Martin

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 91 09:08:00 EDT
From: Richard (R.A.) Butt <RBUTT@bnr.ca>
Subject: MacTutor files

  It seems that MacTutor is now charging for downloads from their
BBS. I don't remember a charge in the past - though it's been sometime
since I last logged on. I'm not sure if the charge is for downlaoding
a complete issue or just each piece of source code. Will log in with
them and give a report back here.

  By-the-way, their BBS is called Mousehole and is at 408-738-5791.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 10:20:02 PDT
From: dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Optimization Woes

> [woes concerning what happened when a System 7 disk was optimized
>  using the Norton Utilities "Speed Disk" utility

It was my impression that the Norton Utilities (Disk Doctor, at least)
detect the fact that a disk was used under System 7, and would refuse to
work on the disk unless you use a magick hidden clicking method to
override the warning.  If this wasn't true of Speed Disk... then it
should have been :-(

It's not a good idea to use _any_ non-7.0-aware disk tweaking utility on
a 7.0 disk.  Enough has changed, in the directory structures, to risk
directory corruption.

I'm a bit surprised that the Jasmine software would report that the disk
motor was running under-speed... beats me why this would happen!

> Prior to using speed disk, I had used Disk Express II to optimise my
> disks under 6.0.7.  I never much problem with DE (except for the fact
> that it never seemed able to entirely optimise my partitions).  Maybe I
> should go back to it.  What are the thoughts on Speed Disk vs Disk
> Express II vs ?.

The two optimizers operate differently, and have different philosophies
about what an "optimized" disk really is.

Speed Disk is a standalone application, intended to be run when not much
else is happening.  My impression is that it will complete an
optimization much more quickly than DiskExpress II, because it moves
files around in big chunks.  It seems to have a relatively simple
packing scheme... files are defragmented and moved to the beginning of
the disk/partition, and the free space migrates up to the end of the
partition.

DiskExpress II is intended to run in the background, without interfering
with other applications and without requiring that you shut down
everything else while you optimize.  It moves files around in very small
chunks... I suspect it's moving files one block at a time... and as a
result it takes a lot longer than Speed Disk and makes much more noise
(head-chatter).  It has a sophisticated file-layout philosophy, which
places the free space in the middle of the disk/partition, commonly-
used stuff at the beginning, and rarely- or never-used stuff at the end
of the partition.

The DiskExpress II packing scheme seems to do an effective job of
reducing re-fragmentation of files, and it seems to cut down on arm
movement in practice.  The latter is true only if your disk is set up as
a single large partition (or as a multi-partition setup in which most of
your files are in one partition).  If your disk is set up as multiple
partitions, and if you're "hitting" all of these partitions frequently,
then the sophisticated file-clustering algorithms won't do you much
good.

I've heard reports that DiskExpress II's file-usage-tracking code seems
to slow down access to the disk somewhat.  My own tests don't provide
any evidence of this... but it may be more of an issue on slower
machines.

Which optimizer is better?  Well, are apples better than chocolate?

        -dave-

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 22:28:16 EDT
From: JBUTLER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SuperClock 3.9 & Word4

The problem with SuperClock and Word4 may exist only for those of us with
small Macs, e.g., NOT Mac IIs, etc.  I have an SE/30 and can't haven't been
able to run the two simultaneously.  After reading Jerry Wilcox's message, I
decided that the problem may be font size.  I fiddled and got the two to run
simultaneously with 3 fonts, 11pt Helvetica, 9pt Courier, and 12pt Palatino
(some other fonts ran as well but moved the left digit if the colon
ticked--irritating).  I also had to turn OFF the AM/PM check-box.  But then it
turned 10:00 p.m. and SuperClock disappeared again on my Word4 screen--one
digit to many in moving from 3 to 4 time digits.  I then got desperate and
dragged a Monoco 6 type into my Sys7 system file.  Now I get 4 digits in my
Word4 menu bar, but there're so hard to read it's hardly worth the effort.  Is
there any chance Apple will make balloon help and its icon optional?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 21:11:28 EDT
From: rudman@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daniel Edward Rudman)
Subject: System 7.0 Minimals

 ----------------------
I have a 2.5M Mac+ without hard disk, but connected to some hard disks (on
which I can read and write) though Appleshare.  I am wondering if I can use a
flopy containing the minimum set to start Mac, and use something like INITshare
(a great INIT/CDEV) to load some other systems stuff stored on hard disk?

Can any one give me a pointer?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

00I will summarize if I get enough responses and interests.

--Tony Lim
 ------------------------------

Here's your pointer, Tony: if you don't have a super drive or an FDHD, you're
totally screwed. You CANNOT fit a System 7.0 minimum startup on an 800K
disk. I mean, you CAN'T. I've tried and tried to squeeze everything I could
(dropped all unnecessaries) and still no dice.

My suggestion is as follows: Get yourself a hard drive. They are
aboslutely indispensable and, today, necessary. The cost is minimal for
a 40Mb drive (you can get smaller if price is REALLY important). The
best deal I've found so far is the Quantum 105LPS for $488 from MacDirect.
If you need some pointers on finding a drive, I would suggest looking in
the MacWorld or MacUser.

//Dan
The University of Michigan
CAEN Macintosh Systems Administration

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 91 15:22 GMT
From: KURAS@applelink.apple.com (Kuras, Patrick)
Subject: System 7 w/o HD

>Would any people out there can tell me that what is the minimum size of
>System 7?
>
>I have a 2.5M Mac+ without hard disk, but connected to some hard disks (on
>which I can read and write) though Appleshare.  I am wondering if I can use a
>flopy containing the minimum set to start Mac, and use something like
>INITshare
>(a great INIT/CDEV) to load some other systems stuff stored on hard disk?

Tony:

Sorry, but there ain't no way you can use System 7 without a hard disk.

While a minimal (VERY minimal) System 7 will fit on a 1.44MB floppy, no
incarnation of System 7 will fit in 800K. And there's no way at this time to
load System files from a file server. I suggest you bite the bullet and get
yourself a 40MB hard disk. You'll thank yourself later.

pat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91  10:15:27 EDT
From: ZAK@cu.nih.gov
Subject: Tandy 102 and the Mac

I see that Radio Shack has the 102 laptop on sale
for about $250 off through Saturday.  Anyone have
firsthand experience on uploading text files to
the Mac?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 08:39:57 EDT
From: Will Howard <GE405007@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Turn it off or leave it on?

1) With regard to the turn-it-off vs. leave-it-on question
are there compromises to turning a computer off completely? For example
the Mac Portable goes into an energy-saving "sleep" mode after a certain
period of inactivity, to save batteries.
Could this type of approach be applied to "plug-in-the-wall" machines?
Is the sleep mode of the Portable a software or hardware feature?
or both? Exactly what is powered down in this mode?
 Just wondering if it's possible to save our computers
 wear and tear, and save energy too.
2) I've been using Macromaker (version 1.0.2) with System 7.0 with
no problems, so rumors of its demise seem to be premature.
Depends if demise means it doesn't come free with system software,
or doesn't work at all.

Will Howard
Dept. of Geological Sciences
Brown University