info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/15/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 14 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 138

Today's Topics:

      [*] TidBITS#66/Font Converters
      Apple Customer Relations
      Applications to use a digitizer ?
      BinHexing?
      DiskPaper -- anyone know retail price?
      email address for Kurt W.G. Matthies of Code of the West
      FTP sites for Macintosh software
      getting the folder and volume from a pathname
      HyperCard Write-and-Forget Technique?
      Laser Printers - I wanna get one!
      Location question
      Macintosh User Groups
      Macro for LaserWriter?
      MacroMaker and System 7
      Macromaker and System 7.0
      Macsbug_Probs
      Mac SE --> Mac SE/30 Upgrade
      MicroLaser from TI
      Millisecond timing on Mac II--using Think Pascal
      Moire and File Sharing DON'T mix
      Need isometric joystick..
      Need to force Mac II power on
      New Submissions
      PRINTER PROBLEMS
      Scheduling program
      SERIAL POSTSCRIPT LASERJET DRIVER ANSWER
      start up items (diabling)
      SYS 7 KERNEL
      System 7 wish list: hierarchical apple menu
      Turning the Mac off!!
      VGA and Macs
      Visual? BASIC
      Zortech C++: more info?
      ZORTECH C++ ???

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:39:50 GMT
From: ace@tidbits.ithaca.ny.us (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: [*] TidBITS#66/Font Converters

Ken Hancock and Dave Platt test two popular new
font conversion programs, Metamorphosis
Professional from Altsys and FontMonger from
Ares.

Font Converters
  Metamorphosis Pro
  FontMonger
  Head-to-Head Test Specs
  Type 1 to TrueType
  Type 3 to Type 1
  Outlines to PICT
  Conversion Speed
  Bottom Line

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-66.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jun 91 11:16:54 GMT
From: george@hsvaic.boeing.com (George Williams)
Subject: Apple Customer Relations

> Claris has an Internet address for their "Claris Customer Relations, CLA",
> which is 'CLARIS.CR@AppleLink.Apple.COM'.
> feats@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu

I tried mailing to this address and it bounced.  Is there a _real_
Claris address out there?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 12:13:25 +0200
From: "Pol A. JAMAGNE (LEMA - Universite de Liege)" <U517101%BLIULG11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Applications to use a digitizer ?

I'd like to use a digitizer to enter a map in my Mac. I found a little
program called "Cartographie 2D", but it seems to have bugs... Does anybody
knows such an application that could work with a CALCOMP 9100 or TDS-LC12.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 13:07 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: BinHexing?

Help!
I need to transform a file, which contains bytes whose values range from 0 to
255, to a file with printable characters only; that means that byte values
should be between 32 and 127.
How can I do this? It's a sort of binhexing... right?

BTW: it's in C, but I just need the algorythm... it should be fairly simple, I
think.

Thank you very much,
- Alberto Ricci - FRicci@polito.it

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 22:34:38 CDT
From: GWATTS@fnalh.fnal.gov (Gordon Watts -- Rochester)
Subject: DiskPaper -- anyone know retail price?

Hi y'all,

  More on the topic of a better document format.  I've been told that Farallon
has created a product called "DiskPaper" that does exactly what I have been
talking about -- allows you to make a file containing the printed output of any
application.  The reader they plan to give away is free, but the chooser
document most likely not.  Any one know anything about what price they plan to
sell it at?  Is is out yet?  Etc.

	Gordon.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 13:15:05 EDT
From: mcmac@hubcap.clemson.edu (Scott McAlister)
Subject: email address for Kurt W.G. Matthies of Code of the West

I'm looking for an internet address for Kurt W.G.Matthies of Code of the
West.  He's doing the "Power Programming" articles for MacUser.

Thanks,

-- Scott McAlister     mcmac@hubcap.clemson.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1991 17:00 EST
From: DOEMELC%WABASH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: FTP sites for Macintosh software

    MacNetters,

    I'm trying to get a list of FTP sites that are avaialable for the
    Macintosh.  Aside from sumex-aim.stanford.edu [36.44.0.6], what others
    can you give me?

    Please respond directly to me at DOEMELC@WABASH, and I will summarize
    to the digest.

    Thank you,

    Christopher Doemel
    Wabash College

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 06:53:00 EDT
From: adobe!ais.tsd.eds.com!ceb@labrea.stanford.edu (Charles E. Bess)
Subject: getting the folder and volume from a pathname

Does anyone have an opinion on the best way to get the volume number and
folder longword from a pathname of a folder (i.e. userdisk:incoming folder)
I have tried a number of things and I think there has to be a better way.
Thanks
Charles E. Bess					ceb@ais.tsd.eds.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 09:34:15 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: HyperCard Write-and-Forget Technique?

The Claris "HyperCard Reference" for 2.0 says (p. 116):
  Warning:  Some stacks are designed so that, when the stack is locked,
  you can type into a field or paint a picture on a card or background;
  but the changes disappear as soon as you leave the current card.

I'd like to know how this is implemented.  I am writing a HyperCard
catalog for a digital media collection, and I need to support rather
complex searches (e.g., "location contains Prague and date before 1800
and date after 1750").  I thought the best approach would be a "Find"
card with fields and check buttons (sort of simulating a dialog box)
for the user to specify the fields, quantities, and relations for the
search.  However, the stack needs to be locked (or read-only), so that
users can't mess it up for others.

The "changes disappear" technique would work fine (I could capture the
values in variables before leaving the card), I think.  Or maybe I
could use an XCMD to actually present a dialog box (though I'm reluctant
to depend on unsupported software for this project, which ought to have
a life of several years).

OK, Card-players, any ideas?

  --  Joshua

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 11:12:21 EDT
From: ccaputo@oceanus.mitre.org (Chris Caputo)
Subject: Laser Printers - I wanna get one!

I am in the process of deciding on which laser printer to purchase in
the $1500 to $2500 price range.  I realize that MacWorld had an
article a few months back on the subject.  The author's recommendation
was the QMS 410 ($1995).  Since that time, however, a few new printers
have come out.  In particular, the RealTech Laser ($1995) has caught
my eye.  The specs on the printer are far better than the QMS,
including support for PostScript Level 2.  The strange thing is that
the RealTech Laser has the same specs and appearance as the
Dataproducts LZR 960.  Are these the same printer with just different
labels?  Are they both made/assembled by another company?

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with either of these printers?
Can you recommend another?

Also, with the advent of TrueType, is it a bad idea to buy a
PostScript printer these days?  Is the PostScript future on the Mac
dim?

I will summarize if there is interest...

Chris Caputo.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 16:24 CST
From: JYOUNG@vax1.umkc.edu
Subject: Location question

Hello,
I'm trying to locate something I believe is called "Initshare."  With it
I understand one can load inits from an appleshare server as if they were
running on a Mac+ workstation.  This program solves the problem of not hav-
ing enough space on an 800k startup disk, allowing one to load such things
as printer drivers and such.  If anyone knows of an ftp location for this
program, please contact me directly at:

BITNET:		JYOUNG@UMKCVAX1
Internet:	JYOUNG@VAX1.UMKC.edu

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 17:51:40 EDT
From: IOCONNOR@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Macintosh User Groups

I am interested in starting a Macintosh User Group in Cortland, New
York.  COuld someone please give me info about who I need to contact
at Apple, preferably an internet address.

I would also appreciate mail from folks who have started a user
group--do's, dont's and the like.  Thanks!

Kieran O'Connor

IOCONNOR@SUNRISE (bitnet)
IOCONNOR@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU (internet)

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 91 07:34:00 CDT
From: "Dr F J Van Wetering" <fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu>
Subject: Macro for LaserWriter?

I have seen reference made to a macro for Microsoft Word 4.0 that enables the
word "DRAFT" or "COPY" to be printed in light gray over a copy of a manuscript
printed on a LaserWriter.  Could someone please send me a copy of this macro,
along with instructions for use?   If a direct send is too much trouble, could
someone give me the location where I might FTP this from?  Any help will be
much appreciated.

Francis J.  Van Wetering   FJVANWET@UNOMA1.BITNET   FJVANWET@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 02:39:54 PDT
From: REM@suwatson.stanford.edu
Subject: MacroMaker and System 7

<<From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu -- Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 09:37:42 +0800
-- Around here we depend on MacroMaker.>>
I do too. I have a library of hundreds of MacroMaker macros.
<<Now we update to 7.0 and find MacroMaker is incompatible -- AND APPLE
ISN'T SUPPLYING A REPLACEMENT? ... Apple's stated solution to this is
"seek equivalent functionality from a third party product".>>
MacroMaker provides two functions: (1) Making new macros, and (2)
Re-using the ones that you've already made.
Of course other programs can provide (1), but what about the hundreds of
macros I already have? Is the internal representation of MacroMaker
files publically documented so I or a third-party vendor could write a
program to convert them? If not, then it is impossible to obtain

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 10:01:53 PDT
From: Robert_M._Albert.ES_XC15@xerox.com
Subject: Macromaker and System 7.0

Will Howard writes:
<<I've been using Macromaker (version 1.0.2) with System 7.0 with no problems,
so rumors of its demise seem to be premature.
Depends if demise means it doesn't come free with system software,
or doesn't work at all.>>

I haven't gone to sys 7.0 yet, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of
whether or not Macromaker has problems with it.  What was our original source
of info that said it was incompatible?

When I've talked to people from Apple about Macromaker, they said that their
surveys showed that only a very small percentage of Mac users use the program,
so it wasn't worthwhile to upgrade it.  Well, I rely on it with some
applications, and it sounds like others do too (hopefully more than Apple's
data indicates).  If it truly is incompatible with System 7.0, and if it's
going to take some sort of groundswell to convince Apple that we DO use
Macromaker and that it IS worthwhile, then I'd like to add my two cents worth
to the flood (or trickle) of support for a upgrade.  Anyone know of any
appropriate address at Apple?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 14:22:59 PDT
From: hayden@sonoma.edu
Subject: Macsbug_Probs

I need to find out if there is an incompatibility with the debugger, Macsbug,
and the Mac II. I have several machines that bomb only on Macsbug. I
don't want to replace the logic board (which does fix the problem, some
times) just to run this little debugger. Is there a better debugger? I
would appreciate the help.
Kent.Hayden@sonoma.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 17:49 EDT
From: Joshua J Hart <STUHART%EKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac SE --> Mac SE/30 Upgrade

    Hello Netters!!!
          Question(s):
            What is done in an upgrade of a Macintosh SE to an SE/30? I have a
            Mac SE 1 MEG RAM and a 20 Meg hard drive and would like to Upgrade
            to a SE/30.
            What is done in the process of upgrading?
            Could it be mail ordered, or does the upgrade have to go though
            apple?
            How much would such an upgrade cost?

                                   thanks,
                                        joshua    <STUHART@EKU.Bitnet>
  P.S.  Thanks again!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 09:47:43 edt
From: olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com (Rocky Olive)
Subject: MicroLaser from TI

Anyone using a TI MicroLaser PS17 or PS35 with their mac?  I have a Mac IIcx
running Sys7, and I've just purchased a PS17 to go along with it.  It seems
to handle outline (TrueType) fonts ok, but if I use more than one TT font on
a document (eg. MS Word 4.0 or SuperPaint 2.0 in Draw mode), I get error
messages that complain about "offending commands".  I never used AppleTalk
before, but since it comes with an AppleTalk interface, I am now.  Also,
I'm not a genius on fonts or PostScript, so I'm not sure exactly what the
problem is.

BTW, the MicroLaser has 1.5 Mb of RAM, and the mac has 5 Mb.  Do I just need
more memory in the laser printer?  If you have a microLaser (even if you don't
know what my problem is) I'd like to hear from you, to find out your
experiences.  Thank you.

Rocky Olive, Data General Corp, Apex, NC

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jun 91 16:08:32 GMT
From: unccvax.uncc.edu!ta00rj@unccvax.uncc.edu (Reza E. Jahromi)
Subject: Millisecond timing on Mac II--using Think Pascal

I am currently working on a senior project for a psychology proffesor.  My
task is to create a procedure in Think Pascal for the Mac II.  This program
is supposed to accept two inputs indicating when to activate the timer and
when to disconnect it.  Accurate timing is very important--timing in milli-
seconds.  If anyone knows how this can be done using Think Pascal, please
reply directly to my account:  ta00rj@unccvax.

Any help will be appreciated.  And even if you have the procedure to do this
task, or anything close to it, please e-mail it to my account.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 09:13 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Moire and File Sharing DON'T mix

Greetings,

Please be advised that the wonderful screen saver Moire (I can't wait until I
can get ALL international characters in a mail message!!!) has a problem with
File Sharing in System 7. The problem is, if you let Moire take over the screen
while File Sharing is on, and someone has one of your folders mounted on their
Mac, when they try to do a read or write to a file in your shared folder your
Mac will hang. The only recourse I've found is the reset switch. This has
occured with a 2.5MB Mac Classic as "server" and 2MB MacPlus (6.0.5) as client.
As long as Moire isn't creating its screen patterns, it's OK, i.e. if the mouse
is in the "never sleep" corner, or you keep busy on the "server" Mac so that
Moire never kicks in.

Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 22:38:23 EDT
From: Bob Beaton <BOBB@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: Need isometric joystick..

Hello Mac-netters,

I need help locating vendors of ADB-compatible isometric joysticks.

We are working on an input device usability study, and we need to test
an isometric (i.e., force-displacment or so-called "stiff stick")
joystick. I know that Measurement Systems has a product for IBM-type
platforms, but I need the device to sit on the ADB (similar to Apple's
mouse-device or Kensington's trackball-device).

Your help is appreciated greatly. Please e-mail your replies to me.
If I get enough useful infomation, I'll post a summary to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 16:15:49 PDT
From: "William J. Lipa" <lipa@neon.stanford.edu>
Subject: Need to force Mac II power on

I have a couple of Mac IIs (the original model) that need to be able to come
back on after a power failure automatically. The newer models such as a IIci
have a power switch that you can push in on the back to get this behavior,
but the Mac II doesn't seem to. Is there some product I can buy to make
them turn on unattended? There must be some way of doing this through the
ADB.

Thanks for any information,

Bill Lipa
lipa@neon.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 16:06:37 edt
From: olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com (Rocky Olive)
Subject: New Submissions

I would like to go out on a limb and make a suggestion to those who are
planning to post new submissions to the archives:

=== Please state if the software is System 7.0 compatible! ===

...at least to the best of your ability.  I understand that some people
post things of which they are not the author.  The reason I bother to
mention this is that many people are still using System 6.x or less.  And
some programs are just aren't compatible.

Stating the submission's System 7.0 compatibility will greatly decresase the
frustration of those who download, only to find that it doesn't work quite
right under 7.0.  Thanks.

(I don't necessarily speak for the moderators, but I think they may agree
that this is not a bad idea.)

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 15:31 CDT
From: LAMB4784@iscsvax.uni.edu
Subject: PRINTER PROBLEMS

Netters:  IUve got a LaserWriter IINT that I want to hook up using an RS 232
cable instead of AppleTalk.  I want to access Ethernet (which you canUt access
at the same time as AppleTalk - that I know of) and the LaserWriter at the same
time.  Can this be done??

Also, I have a coupple of old HP QuietJet printers which I need drivers for.
Is there a Quiet Jet dirver available anywhere?  Does anyone have an old copy
of SoftStyleUs Jet Start (the program the HP manual says one uses to whip up a
QuietJet driver - I think SoftStyle is out of bidness)??  Any HP PCL1 driver -
such as the ThinkJet - might work.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 10:45:27 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Scheduling program

I need a program, commercial or p.d., which caan be used to schedule several
computer classrooms and about 12 teachers. Schedules need to be printed for
the coordinator (who will use the program) and print outs will be an overall
schedule and individual instructor's copies showing just their commitments.
Any suggestions? Project management? Thanks-- Pete Tamas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 16:49:29 EDT
From: tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu (Tim Cera)
Subject: SERIAL POSTSCRIPT LASERJET DRIVER ANSWER

I received 8 responses to my question on hooking a Mac to a LaserJet with
PostScript. THANK YOU! Outlines of the letters follow and I will tell about
the solution I chose at the end.

Peter Galko                PTRPB@ACADVM1.UOTTAWA.CA
} Uses the Asynchrounous LaserWriter Drivers without fail.

Elisabeth Cuddihy          cuddihy@cshl.org
} Want info on public domain serial laserwriter driver - sorry, but there
} is a hack to the Apple LaserWriter Driver.  See below.

Ross Moran                    rtmoran@calstate
} Used Apples Asynch Driver - works well after fixing a cabling problem
} that could be atributed to the IBM 4019 laserprinter (DTR had to be set high)
} Some other printer problems (can't have many fonts - 1.5 Mb RAM, and some
} Apple specific postscript code for special effects don't work.
} Works at 19.2 Kbaud.  Have configuration file called Direct.ACL.  This
} file may be specific for Apple's printers.  There are tweaked file around
} for the HP and Pacific Page cartridges.
} Have used MacPrint and JetLinK - very slow (6 times slower than postscript).
} Suggested the AppleTalk upgrade for the LaserJet.
} Thinks that the Asynch Driver has been orphaned.

There is no AppleTalk Upgrade FROM HP for the Series II, (all of their
other printers have upgrades from HP).
There is the Bridgeport from Extended Systems (I actually have one for
another computer and it works as advertised - nice), or a Pacific Data
product whose name escapes me right now (more about Pacific Data later).

Don Gillies                    gillies@cs.uiuc.edu
Don Gillies sent the "generating-postscript" file available from sumex.
Sorry that I had forgotten about it.  This would be fine for me, BUT
a hack job is not a good idea.  What if I leave and it breaks?  Thought
someone would like to have th info.

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
} Used MacPage to print to a HP IIID from a multiport serial card.
} Tried to figure out the Asynch LaserWriter without the docs and
} mentions a "bizarre" setup file.

MacPage is what I have chosen.  The person I spoke to was WRONG from
Pacific Data products when she said that MacPage would only work with
their cartridge (I just had to think about it a little - The cartridge
should be enough like PostScript to accept PostScript commands - right?).
I called up a print sharing company who regalarly sell the MacPage product
for a serial connection to ANY postscript printer.  You should probably
check this though.  The company is
Wilco-AMS Inc.
473 Macara Avenue
Suite 702
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
MacPage with educational discount is $74.25.  I spoke to Richard who
set up his father's business with the exact setup I want (HP II with
Adobe Cartridge).

Tom.Lane@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
} Had heard that the APDA driver works great once you have it set up.
} Some reservation about whether it would work under System 7.0.
} Also keeps a Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) document - I quess
} on sumex-aim about printing to LaserJets.

daniel schwabe
} Prints to a DEC LN03R laser printer by downloading PS files using
} ZTERM.

mlyth@cix.co.uk
} Uses Asynchrounous Driver to print to HP series II with and
} Adobe PS cartridge.
} Wrote his own ACL (I do not know what this is) to get around a bug
} in the cartridge.  Has another patch that enables smoother and
} faster bitmap printing to an HP II.
} Does work under System 7.0. with some caveats (can't modify setup from
} chooser.
} Has posted the instructions for the patch and a copy of the ACL
} on Compuserve.

Again, Thanks
tim cera
tim@ufcia.health.ufl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 09:07:57 -0700
From: jlouch%polyslo.CalPoly.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu (John Louch)
Subject: start up items (diabling)

Netters,
	A question about system 7.0!!!  Is there anyway in which onw
can prevent the startup of starup items in the startup folder!  Is
there some type of key combination which will allow you to dsiable
this featuire of system 7.0 on startup?  If it does not exist I'm sure
somebody out there could make it (should be just like init picker)!

Thanks,

John Louch
jlouch@polyslo.calpoly.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 11:14:49 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SYS 7 KERNEL

Ok. So 2 meg ram ain't enough to run more than one reasonably size
application 'cause the system alone eats up more than 1 meg. Folks, this
is ridiculous waste of space for a lot of wonderful functions that
might never get used.
Why can't the guys who wrote it do it like unix, with a small core.
The rest gets loaded when necessary. Who used DAL in his/her computer
back home? And why can't functions such as file copy be a code
resource that gets loaded when it is needed.
I thought the solution is easy. I certainly don't want lots
of things loaded into ram that might never be used in my lifetime!

What say you?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 17:25:17 EDT
From: berry@a.chem.upenn.edu (Don Berry)
Subject: System 7 wish list: hierarchical apple menu

   Sure, System 7 is wonderful, and I'm already totally hooked on
the flexibility of the new apple menu, but wouldn't it be nice if...
...the contents of folders included in the apple menu were listed
in hierarchical menus.

    Basically, this would just be the sort of functionality used by
OnCue (and extended by Rich Ragan with his Freeware utility,
hierLauncher.)

   The apple menu is too tempting.  I want to put everything in it,
but of course it gets cumbersome.  So instead, I've got folders full
of aliases ("In progress", "utilities", etc.)  This is o.k., but I'm
spoiled, and the 2-step process of picking the "In progress" folder
>From the the apple menu and then double clicking on the file of
interest is too tedious.  The same thing is true for the Control Panel
folder.

    I, for one, would be more than willing to pay a shareware fee to
the clever programmer who adds this trick to the apple menu.  Think of
it...  virtually ALL of your applications or work in progress could be
accessed in a flash from the apple menu.  Well, maybe two flashes.

   Rich Ragan, are you listening??

-Don Berry

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 15:28:50 CDT
From: ECPKLINE%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Turning the Mac off!!

Come on folks. Do you realize the amount of energy that will
be wasted if we ALL leave our Macs on? Maybe it is only $55 or
so but there are a lot of personal computers, also, the figure
was only for the difference between 8 hours and 24 hours. We
 are constantly bombarded with information about how to save
energy and resources, yet there appear to be a lot of people
willing to waste money so they can leave their computer on and
entertain an empty office.  I have used a Mac SE since 11/87
and have had days where I have turned it off and on 4, 5 or
6 times, yet never had any trouble. I have watched Macs being
turned off and on all day in Mac Labs on campus, and yes they
do break down, but it appears that power sources and related com
ponents are not the culprits(sometimes).
Let us be aware that we do not need to waste the energy, and we do
have (my opinion) obligations not to actively waste resources
if we can avoid  it.
I like the idea of  the hardware technology used in the portable
being used in the standard desktop Macs, I have been wanting that
for quite awhile.
Jeff Kline (ecpkline@UMCVMB.Missouri.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 08:09 CDT
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: VGA and Macs

I'm writing with an answer to my own question posted last week.  In the Thurs.,
June 13 issue of the _Arkansas_Gazette_, Bob Schwabach's column "On Computers"
reports that BMUG has developed an adapter that allows a color VGA monitor to
be used on Macs.  It costs $12 as a parts kit, or $40 fully assembled.  Orders
can be made from BMUG (415-549-BMUG) or James Engineering Co.(415-525-7350).
Hope this helps some others who were also wondering.

Brian P. Roden

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 14 June 1991 10:29am CT
From: pmccord@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Visual? BASIC

Somebody told me a couple of days ago about a new language that is sup-
posedly "all the talk".  I think they said it was from MicroSoft and was
called Visual Basic or maybe Virtual Basic. They also said they knew of
some people using it.  So does anybody know anything about this? Is this
a real product? Is it only in the beta stage? Whats so great about it?
Any actual information would be appreciated.

paul mccord , Univ. of TX at Austin
(BITNET: pmccord@utxvm)
(INTERNET: pmccord@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu )

PS: And what's this about IBM asking Apple to write them a new DOS?
    Supposedly they're ganging up on MicroSoft. Go figure.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 23:00:44 PDT
From: rensing@pixel.slac.stanford.edu (Paul Rensing)
Subject: Zortech C++: more info?

Recently, Geoffrey Parsons said that there is a Zortech C++ compiler
for the Mac. Could someone please post or send me more information
about it? When was it released? Can one get a demo copy? Does anyone
know how to get an educational copy if my bookstore does not carry it?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Rensing

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 18:18:08 GMT
From: Emmanuel CASTRO <CASTRO%FRMOP11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ZORTECH C++ ???

Hi from France

I heard about ZORTECH C++
a C++ compiler for the macintosh
I need some information about it
-Which price
-Where can I find it (in the USA or in France)
-Has it ready to use classes for easy making of Macintosh application
  (like MacApp or Think Class Libraries)

(Please, don't write me to tell that there's MPW C++,
 I've already got it)

Thanks in advance
I wait your replies

Emmanuel CASTRO