info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/16/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 15 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 139

Today's Topics:

      [*] Family_Record_1.0 stack
      [*] FileTyper
      [*] FinderToFront 1.0
      [*] Help Meister (tm)
      [*] HyperCard dials for HyperCard directory.
      [*] Init-Escape-1.2.5.cpt.hqx
      [*] INITLoader.hqx
      [*] keylayouts.cpt.hqx
      [*] LinesOfAction.hqx
      [*] MacCribbage 0.8.1
      [*] Macintalk hypercard stack that works under sys 7.0
      [*] MacMolecule v1.5
      [*] MandelTV 1.0
      [*] Submission Icon font for HyperCard
      [*] tn3270 Fonts
      [*] trashchute20.hqx
      [*] uutool201.hqx
      [*] Varityper ToolKit 1.0
      About-  Mac Magazine Indexe
      APPLE AND IBM !!!
      CONTROLS IN A LIST.
      Cricket Graph problem
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #138
      LaserWriter Startup Page
      Macromaker and System 7.0
      Macromaker in sys7
      Multitasking on System 7.0
      Resetting of ports on a reboot.
      SPACESHIP WARLOCK
      SYS 7 KERNEL (2 msgs)
      Think C 4.0 and the Pallette Manager?

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 91 08:23:29 -0700
From: ynakatsu@ics.uci.edu
Subject: [*] Family_Record_1.0 stack

 This is a HyperCard 2.0 stack which enables you to keep track with
information of your family, relatives, and ancsestors.
Enjoy!

[Archived as /info-mac/card/family-record.hqx; 29K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 18:20 PDT
From: I AM CatMUG <NELSON%catlin.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] FileTyper

FileTyper is a program to change the type and creator of files.
Free
Enjoy

Russ Nelson
Nelson@Catlin.Bitnet

[Archived as /info-mac/util/file-typer.hqx; 7K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 91 09:04:42 PST
From: claris!outpost!peirce@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Michael Peirce)
Subject: [*] FinderToFront 1.0

Use it in your System 7 Startup folder to force the Finder to be the
frontmost application after all the other startup applications
are run.  This is Public Domain software.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/finder-to-front.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 21:37:56 EDT
From: Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: [*] Help Meister (tm)

Here is Help Meister, an extension (INIT) for System 7. If you have
an extended keyboard with a control key and a Help key, you'll now
be able to press control-Help to toggle "Balloon Help" on and off!

[Archived as /info-mac/ex/help-meister.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jun 91 15:07 -0500
From: "Charles A. Burchill" <burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: [*] HyperCard dials for HyperCard directory.

This file contains a hypercard 2.0 stack with two dials that
actually work.  The dials are created in script and not
XCMD.  The script also works in HyperCard 1.2.5 you just have
to transfer it.
Charles
<Burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

[Archived as /info-mac/card/dials-example.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1991 09:49:56 +0000
From: "(Ronan-Yann Lorin)" <lorin@litsun.epfl.ch>
Subject: [*] Init-Escape-1.2.5.cpt.hqx

Init Escape is a glossary that can be used in any macintosh application.

It is a shareware program written by L. Debrauwer & R.Y. Lorin.

If you like it and use it, please send $25 to:
Michel DEBRAUWER
2A, rue Albert Cys
F-59240 Dunkerque
France

If you have any question, comment, bug report, you can e-mail to:
lorin@litsun.epfl.ch

[Archived as /info-mac/ex/init-escape-125.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 20:32:27 PDT
From: stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden)
Subject: [*] INITLoader.hqx

INITLoader is a System 7 utility that will let you load INIT's from
any other folder you choose, in addition to the Extensions folder.

Stu.

[Archived as /info-mac/ex/init-loader.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 01:16:34 -0400
From: Scott E. Lasley <lasleyse@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: [*] keylayouts.cpt.hqx

Here are four keyboard layouts from Compuserve.  They are in
a compactor archive.

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/key-layouts.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 17:53:11 PDT
From: kevin@ux5.lbl.gov (Kevin Gong)
Subject: [*] LinesOfAction.hqx

This is Lines of Action version 1.0, a strategy game where you
try to connect all your pieces together.  You vs. the computer
or another person; some interesting situation sounds.

	- kevin

[Archived as /info-mac/game/lines-of-action.hqx; 226K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 10:35:20 -0400
From: Michael.T.Houser@mathstat.umass.edu
Subject: [*] MacCribbage 0.8.1

Hi All!  This is announcing an upgrade for MacCribbage.  This version fixes
an annoying bug in scoring.  It is shareware with a $5 fee.  I am currently
working on a major upgrade which will support color and balloon help along
with improvments to the user interface.

I'd like to take this oppertunity to thank everyone who sent in the shareware
fee along with bug reports and excelent suggestions.  You have changed
MacCribbage for the better.  Thanks again.

Michael T. Houser
InterStellar Software

[Archived as /info-mac/game/mac-cribbage-081.hqx; 85K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 09:50 EDT
From: RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu
Subject: [*] Macintalk hypercard stack that works under sys 7.0

Greetings.

  For what it is worth, I have a hypercard 2.0 stack that has macintalk inside
of it. It is implemented through some sort of an xcmd, and never gave me
problems using 6.0.x.
  I hadn't tried it since I upgraded to 7.0, because I expected it to crash
into the proverbial brick wall. Today, I decided to give it a shot, and lo
and behold, the fool thing worked just fine.
  I haven't tried it under Hypercard 2.1, because I haven't got it yet. Anyway,
the stack seems to work quite well, and it didn't crash anything while I was
using it. My system is a IIcx, running system 7.0 (5 real megs and 3 virtual
megs), and a bunch of extensions.
  I am stuffing and binhexing the thing, and I will send it to info-mac and
comp.sys.mac.binaries soon. If anyone wants a copy before it shows up, let me
know. I originally got it from America Online, and it is called "HC 2.0
Macintalk".

  So don't give up hope of hearing your computer ever talk again!

Later.........

Read Fritsch

rafst3@pitt.vms.cis.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/macintalk.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 15:14:41 MDT
From: "Jerome Jahnke BSW Rm 238" <jahnke@joplin.biosci.arizona.edu>
Subject: [*] MacMolecule v1.5

NEW MacMolecule, we have added many of the features folks have
been asking for.

1) Ball and Stick imaging
2) Wire Frame imaging
3) Unlimited numbers of atoms per structure
    Actually this is not quite true, you are limited by atoms
4) Better Movie Recording and Playback features
6) Resizeable windows
7) Printing Ability (grey scale with 6.0 and higher print-
    Drivers)
8) Ability to change the background color
9) More refined user interface

MacMolecule is a program which displays Atoms in 3 dimensional
space. There are a number of ways to view a Molecule. Ball and
Stick, Wire Frame, or Space filling. All three views can be
interactively rotated. Or the computer can set up rotations and
save them out as a PICS file, which can be played back in Super
Card or Swivel 3D.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/mac-molecule-15.hqx; 423K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 18:22:24 +0100
From: thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (Thomas Okken)
Subject: [*] MandelTV 1.0

This is MandelTV, a Mandelbrot Set drawing DA for FPU- and color-equipped
Macs. It is very fast; it uses a nifty new algorithm (not Mariani-Silver but
probably something similar).
The following is from the included documentation. Note that I am not the
author; I am just posting it.

 - Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

[Archived as /info-mac/da/mandel-tv.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 10:17:22 BST
From: Nigel Perry <np@doc.imperial.ac.uk>
Subject: [*] Submission Icon font for HyperCard

This stack contains IconFont, a font of all the standard HyperCard
icons.  As well as plain; gray, inverted and outline inverted versions
of the icons are included and are obtained by uisng the italic, bold
and bold italic styles respectively.  This font allows you to place
icons in fields, and to mimic icon buttons with styled names by using
locked fields... Font is free, enjoy!

Nigel.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/icon-font.hqx; 76K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 91 13:17:26 +0300
From: Jaime Prilusky <LSPRILUS%WEIZMANN.WEIZMANN.AC.IL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] tn3270 Fonts

Here are the fonts from the TN3270 requested to solve the Print Screen
problem.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/tn3270.hqx; 58K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 01:17:26 -0400
From: Scott E. Lasley <lasleyse@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: [*] trashchute20.hqx

Here is a program from Compuserve that empties the trash when
the Mac is rebooted.  It also serves as a trash can that empties
automatically.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/trash-chute-20.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 15:25:03 -0600
From: wieser (Bernie Wieser)
Subject: [*] uutool201.hqx

Here is uutool 2.0.1 for the archives.  It is a utility which does uu**coding.
It obsoletes uutool 1.2.3 in /info-mac/util.

It is a complete re-write.  A generic coding engine is used which is faster
(for a variety of reasons) than 1.2.3.  Feedback on coding status is provided.
It also supports multiple file decode (open) from the Finder.

UUTool 2.0.1 is (C) by Bernhard S. Wieser and Octavian Micro Development.
It is distributed as freeware.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/uutool-201.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 11:53:36 EDT
From: phssra@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)
Subject: [*] Varityper ToolKit 1.0

Varityper ToolKit is a single application that includes improved
versions of Varityper's recently released series of Desk Accessory
Productivity Tools.  In particular, the capabilities of Varityper
FontMaster, Varityper FontWizard, Varityper PSFontFinder and Varityper
FontConflicts have been included in Varityper ToolKit.   Unlike the
former desk accessories (which should now be considered obsolete),
Varityper ToolKit is now aware of Apple's newest type of font resource,
the outline font (a resource of type 'sfnt').

For any available font, the ToolKit can display sample text, a grid of
characters with key combination, family name, point sizes, style,
resource type (FONT, NFNT or sfnt), size of the resource in bytes,
resource ID, and FOND ID.  It can also scan PostScript files for font
names, create Font Environment Files for comparison with other
Macintoshes, and change the Default Application Font.

Varityper ToolKit is offered free-of-charge to the Macintosh desktop
publishing community in hopes it may prove useful.

Scott Robert Anderson
phssra@emoryu1.{cc.emory.edu,bitnet}
gatech!emoryu1!phssra

[Archived as /info-mac/util/varityper-toolkit.hqx; 82K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 08:02:43 PDT
From: "CRCVAX::QUICKM::\"Jim_Bethin$CRC_MAIL\""@bypass.dnet
Subject: About-  Mac Magazine Indexe

Date	6/12/91
Subject	About-  Mac Magazine Indexe
From	Jim Bethin
To	Posts for  Info-Mac

About:  Mac Magazine Indexes
Bill Moore asked:

>Are there Mac-readable indexes to MacWEEK, MacUser, Macworld, etc.
>available either commercially or in the public domain?

Niles and Associates sells MacInfo, $120/yr, which uses the EndNote engine.
Their number is (415) 649-8176.

   Jim Bethin
   Grumman Corporate Research Center
bethin@gdstech.grumman.com
America Online: JimB15

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 10:24:56 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: APPLE AND IBM !!!

This was in the local Singapore Press today:
Apple and IBM make headway in talks to forge technology alliance
In a nutshell, the article reported that:
1. IBM and Apple had been talking for several months
2. No one from IBM and Apple wants to confirm or deny
3. Alliance could result in a formidable competition
4. Jointly develope new OS for new successor to the Mac by Apple
5. Apple would use IBM RS/6000 processor
6. RS/6000 Risc chip to be built by Motorola to compensate for
   Apple giving up on the 88000 series
7. No comment from Motorola
8. 50-50 joint venture between IBM and Apple
9. Apple wants IBM to pay large development cost: close to US$100 million

10. Apple have to pay IBM for using its chip and technology

My comment: Definitely an unholy alliance brought about by necessity. Started
with the betrayal by Steve Jobs who got IBM's logo designer and John Ackers
permission to design the NeXT logo, then licensed NeXTStep to IBM for about
US$10 million which IBM is ignoring. Could be a desparate move by IBM
to kill Apple by promising this and that but never deliver. IBM is not
known for its hardware/software innovations. I hope this deal drops dead.
Better to align with Sun.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 08:38:59 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CONTROLS IN A LIST.

Hi. Does anyone know if one can have controls such as buttons, lists,
check-boxes, etc in a scrolling list? Has anyone already created the
code for this? I saw it on a Motif program and thought that must the
only novel idea. The rest just ripped off Apple.

Please send me source code if possible. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jun 91 11:13:00 EDT
From: "ROBERT MENTON" <menton@ccf1.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Cricket Graph problem

      I've performed computations in Fortran, producing columns of numbers that
are (x,y) coordinates of 2-dimensional curves.  I'd like to plot those curves
using Cricket Graph.  However, in order to import the ASCII file of numbers,
Cricket Graph wants to see TABS between each number.  I tried using tab
formatting in Fortran, but that doesn't put tabs in the data file; it just
positions the numbers.  Any thoughts on how I can get this data into Cricket
Graph?  Thanks for any responses.
      					Bob Menton
      					menton@wave.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 19:48 EDT
From: GOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOOOOORNING ACS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <ACSWILEY%EKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #138

Dear Netters,

  I am looking to find out if there is a program out there that can help me
with a automating task. What i need to do is automate our computer lab check
in procedure. Example: a student/faculty makes a reservation for a pc. Under
the current procedure they have to do a bunch of paperwork. What I would like
to be able to do is to be able to verify their reservation through the use of
a data file. Has anybody out there attempted this? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Your experiences would be helpful. I will summarize to the net when
completed. Thanks in advance!  Direct email is fine.

Bill Wiley
acswiley@eku.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 18:31:44 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: LaserWriter Startup Page

>I would like to stop the startup page from being printed on a
>Laserwriter II NT and on a Personal Laserwriter NT. I searched the
>archives for any information but could find nothing. Can anyone
>point me in the right direction?

Apple finally got around to addressing this FAQ with an update to
the LaserWriter Font Utility.  Both version 6.1 (which comes on
the TrueType disks) and version 7.0 (which is on the System 7.0
Tidbits disk) include a UTILITY MENU.  And guess what kids, in
that menu you find an item called START PAGE OPTIONS.

The Utility Menu even includes a RESET PRINTER option.
(Network Managers are gonna just love users abusing this one!).

Finally, us frazzled support people no longer have to explain
such ugly things as: "Make a text file containing such and such
PostScript code and download this to your printer using a
utility such as SendPS or format the text as PostScript in
Word". Yay! ( And if anybody asks me to explain that sentence,
I'll probably get violent. ;-) )

PS. FAQ = Frequently Asked Question

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 12:39:57 CDT
From: jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jonathan Helton)
Subject: Macromaker and System 7.0

It seems to work fine for me too.  :)

Jonathan Helton
jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 11:44:41 EDT
From: alanr@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Macromaker in sys7

I'm using macromaker in sys 7 now. So if you depend on it it can be
used. There are occasional aesthetic problems. Macromaker's position
in the menubar gets messed up in hypercard, and the menu bar flashes
unpleasingly when you execute a macro.

Put all the macromaker files in the top level of the system system
folder to make it work. My copy of macromaker says version 1.02

-alan

------------------------------

Date: SAT, 15 Jun 91 11:24:42 EDT
From: "Jean-Luc Brousseau" <TRRBRJL%UQTR.UQuebec.CA@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Multitasking on System 7.0

Hi Netters,
           Okay, maybe I missed something but where is the multitasking
improvement in System 7.0 ?  Sure, one can run a couple of programs at the
same time but what is the art of COPYing files while printing and playing
chess?  I have downloaded System 7.0 from bric-a-brac and I have it running
here on Classics, Plusses and LC but I cannot find how to move the COPY
window.  When I click on that window (Or anywhere else for that matter)
I get a BEEP tone from the Mac.  Can't use the little fat mac on the top
right corner either to change the active window.  What have I done wrong?
Is there something I have missed?  Will I have to buy the books for 7.0?
Or use the 900 line?  Am I the only one to experience these problems?

Thank you guys (gals) out there!

Jean-Luc Brousseau <TRRBRJL@UQUEBEC.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 20:29:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Kriens <jk5o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Resetting of ports on a reboot.

I find that if I'm on-line via a modem and for some reason the system
decides to lock up, when I do a  reboot (with the programmer's reboot
switch on the front of the IIci) the modem port gets reset and I lose my
connection.  Is there any way to configure the system to not reset the
ports on a non-power-off reboot?  Is this controlled in hardware or the
system software?

Thanks in advance for any useful information.

-John Kriens
jk5o@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 08:32:43 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SPACESHIP WARLOCK

Finally after a wait of 6 months, I received Spaceship Warlock CD Rom
game yesterday. Folks, this game is the definitive game for the Mac,
if not all machines. The game is written entirely in Director 2.0.
The graphics are ray-traced, the animation very smooth, and the sound
quality is very very good.
In a nutshell, playing tha game is like living in movies such as
Blade-Runner and Back-To-The-Future-II. Wow!!! And these were not
my comments. They were comments from IBM blokes who think
the whole world is VGA (320x200x 256 colors, yucks) and Sound Blaster.
I urge every one of you to support Reactor and buy this game so they
can make more. Their first attempt was a soft-porn for the Mac
called Virtual Valerie (CD Rom too). I read the review.

Moderator: This is not an advert. This is a preliminary review.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 12:36:47 CDT
From: jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jonathan Helton)
Subject: SYS 7 KERNEL

I too, am not happy with the massive amounts of memory taken up by features
I either do not, or cannot use.

File sharing, virtual memory, balloon help...

Many of the new features are useless on my lone SE at home.  Balloon help
is interesting for about 10 minutes.  Can I throw it out?  I was amazed to
read an Apple developer say that there are 1300 balloons for the Finder
alone!  That's a lot of hot air....
--
Jonathan Helton
jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 15:38:44 EDT
From: doug@end.tufts.edu (Doug Larrick)

> Ok. So 2 meg ram ain't enough to run more than one reasonably size
> application 'cause the system alone eats up more than 1 meg. Folks,
> this is ridiculous waste of space for a lot of wonderful functions
> that might never get used. Why can't the guys who wrote it do it like
> unix, with a small core. The rest gets loaded when necessary. Who
> used DAL in his/her computer back home? And why can't functions such
> as file copy be a code resource that gets loaded when it is needed.

Sorry, but the UNIX kernel is not so small as you might think:
% ls -l /vmunix
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     914603 Jan 18 12:15 /vmunix

This is 914K, on a Sun 3/80, which is 68030-based, so it's a fair comparison.
Add on to that the X Window libraries (which default to existing in EACH
application), and we're talking a large section of code.

Also, in my opinion, Apple was very nice to provide DAL (among other features)
as "System Extensions," so that we CAN turn them off when not needed.

The truth is, right now, my System's heap is 1,007,024 bytes, of which 28,440
bytes are free, and 299,020 bytes are purgeable and not locked. (This
information courtesy of MacsBug).  So things I'm not using, like fonts, are
not present or will make way for things I do use if they are present.  So
the truth is that what you ask is already true to a fairly substantial degree.

-Doug Larrick

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 11:14:08 EDT
From: jmoore@occs.cs.oberlin.edu (Coup D'Etat)
Subject: Think C 4.0 and the Pallette Manager?

I have had trouble with Think C 4.0 and the Pallette Manager.  Think C seems
to recognize all the functions that return non-integer results and doesn't
recognize any of the other functions, in particular PMForeColor() and
PMBackColor().

Is this problem my fault or is this an oversight by Semantec?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

-Jeff Moore
jmoore@occs.cs.oberlin.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest