info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/19/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 18 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 141

Today's Topics:

      [*] CEToolbox for System 7
      [*] ColorSwarm1.1
      [*] Info-Mac Digest Stacks
      [*] LeeMail 1.1
      [*] Open-wide 2.4
      [*] PrintAid 1.4
      A TeX-related question
      Bob Bolt's Alternate Address Problem
      Comparison of Mac/UNIX datatbase solutions
      Costar Label Writer
      Ethernet for Classics?
      Graphics tablets
      Hermes bbs under System 7.0
      HYPERCARD 2.1 ON?
      HyperCard Write-and-Forget Technique
      I need a Chooser doc for HPlaserjetII
      Missing Screen Fonts
      Mobius Two Page Monitor and Accelerator for SE
      Multiuser dbases that don't require server
      OzTeX and Macbinary format archive
      Quantum vs Maxtor Hard Drives
      System 7.0 and Radius FTP
      Tandy 102 and the Mac; ImageWriter II Built-in Fonts
      Transferring Files - LISA to Mac
      TrueType fonts and Copyrights
      Virtual Desktop??
      Virtual Memory on a Rodime
      WordPerfect bugs
      Yet another RAM cache/IIsi problem ..

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 14:22:32 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: [*] CEToolbox for System 7

Here is the version of CEToolbox compatible with System 7.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/ce-toolbox.hqx; 61K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 19:31:36 -0500
From: Dan Walkowski <walkowsk@ta1.cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] ColorSwarm1.1

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-swarm-11.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 14:55 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: [*] Info-Mac Digest Stacks

Here are the latest versions of the Info-Mac Digest and MacArchives stacks.

The purpose of these stacks is to facilitate retreival of information from
old digests. As each digest is received, import it into the Info0Mac Digest
stack. This will also automatically add archived files (contributions of
shareware, etc.) to the MacArchives stack.

There are many new features in this version of the stacks since it was last
posted, two years ago.

This is shareware... I am the author, enjoy

Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/card/info-mac-digest.hqx; 167K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 14:00:39 -0400
From: laf@mbunix.mitre.org (Fyock)
Subject: [*] LeeMail 1.1

LeeMail 1.1 is a MacTCP-based SMTP mailer for the Macintosh.
With it, you can send and receive mail directly from and to
your Mac using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.  You must
have MacTCP (available from Apple) properly configured.  In
addition, you must be using "manual" addressing in order to
receive mail.

LeeMail 1.1 is Shareware, $10.  It may be distributed freely,
but you may not charge for it.  Shareware distributors which
charge on a per-disk basis (such as Educorp) must receive my
permission before adding LeeMail to their library.

LeeMail runs under System 7 and is 32-bit clean.

Please email any bug reports and/or enhancement suggestions to

Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/lee-mail-11.hqx; 114K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 23:09:36 -0400
From: Jim Walker <walkerj@milo.math.scarolina.edu>
Subject: [*] Open-wide 2.4

Open-wide 2.4 is a control panel extension (INIT/cdev) that
widens Standard File dialogs (Open... and Save...
dialogs), the better to see long file names. It can also stretch these dialogs
vertically, so you can see more file names.  Online documentation
included.  Postcard-ware.

This fixes a bug in the previous version that sometimes
caused a crash on startup.

System 6.0.4 or later is required; compatible with System 7.

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/open-wide-14.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 23:07:43 -0400
From: Jim Walker <walkerj@milo.math.scarolina.edu>
Subject: [*] PrintAid 1.4

PrintAid is a freeware control panel extension
(INIT/cdev) that helps you print.  It's not a
spooler, but it's the next best thing: You can run one
application while another prints in the backgound, although
you can't use the application that's printing.

MultiFinder and System 6.0.4 or later are required. Compatible with System 7.
If you have used previous versions, you should still read the online help,
since there have been changes in default operation.

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/print-aid-14.hqx; 35K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 14:03:30 SDT
From: ALexander Falk <FALK2%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: A TeX-related question

  Does anyone know of a TrueType, Adobe Type 1, or Adobe Type 3 version
of the TeX font "Computer Modern". This is the font that is by default
used for all TeX and LaTeX documents on the various implementations, but
I'd like to also be able to use it outside of TeX. As far as I understand
it, TeX fonts are created using a program called MetaFont. Is there any way
to convert a font created by MetaFont to one of the formats mentioned
above?

  Thanks for any help in advance,
  (A)(L)exander (F)alk                       <FALK2@edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 15:01:40 -0400
From: "Keith E Gatling" <kgatling@rodan.acs.syr.edu>
Subject: Bob Bolt's Alternate Address Problem

Bob:

You may want to try something like this.

Create another address field, we'll call it alt2 for now, and make it a
calculation field.  The formula for this field should be as follows:

	if(alt1="",primary,alt1)

It's assumed that alt1 and primary are the original alternate address
field and the primary address field, respectively.  This new field should
display as text.

I don't know of a way to get one of the radio buttons to automatically
fill in a field for you with some previous information if nothing is
explicitly put in there, but I *can* get a third field to do it for you
(which is what I wrote above).

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why the alternate address field
has to be filled in?  There may be another easier workaround, using radio
buttons.  If you're doing what I think you're doing, I think I have just
such a workaround.  But rather than go into that now, I'll just let you
know that I may have one, and hope that the solution I gave you for the
calculation field is enough.

keg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 16:57:45 EDT
From: John Major <major@bbn.com>
Subject: Comparison of Mac/UNIX datatbase solutions

We are trying to establish a range of solutions for internal
small-scale database needs, and have mostly Macintosh and
mini/workstation-based UNIX resources available. The issues for us
are pretty obvious, but I'm hoping that someone has already tread
this path, and will have some sagely bits of advice to offer - well,
flames are welcome, too, for entertainment. The most important issues
for us are:

. Cost - anyone done some comparisons of UNIX multitasking licenses,
vs. Mac-based multiuser systems? The party line is that the latter
will be much cheaper, but the Mac databases seem to always require a
dedicated Mac for multiuser use. I'm interested in using what I've
got installed, not buying more hardware.

. Development effort - I've built some systems using Odesta's Double Helix,
and, when you stay within its limits, I have a hard time seeing how a
procedural language-based system could get up and running any quicker
(I use UNIX and Mac C, sed, awk, shell scripts, etc., as well, so
it's not a matter of prejudice...).  So, if Odesta's the smoothest
horse in town, just how much rougher is, say, Oracle under UNIX?

. Performance - obviously, performance is hard to measure when
you're comparing a Mac IIci to a Microvax 3600 with 20 users, and
anyhoo, how big is the database? But has anyone had experience taking
the same database system from one platform to the other, Mac to
mini-UNIX, or vice versa?

Thanks for the help -
John Major
major@bbn.com
617/873-8165

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 16:54:04 +0300
From: "David L. Hirschberg" <BNHIRSCH@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il>
Subject: Costar Label Writer

Dear Netters,

I have a CoStar LabelWriter that is several years old and has never been used.
I set it up but my mac froze when I selected the LabelWriter print driver with
the Chooser.  The software I have is version 1.1.  Is the LabelWriter
compatible with system 6.07 and 7.0?  If there is a new version
out there could someone send it to me?  DOes anyone know if CoStar has
an E-mail address?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

David L. Hirschberg
Rehovot, Israel

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1991 13:34 EST
From: JALLISON@vax.clarku.edu
Subject: Ethernet for Classics?

We are looking at creating a DEC Pathworks network for one of our departments.
Several of the Macs to be networked are Classics.  Does anyone know of third
party cards/boxes/add on modules to give a Classic access to an ethertalk network?
Thanks,  Jim Allison, Clark Univ Info Res Center JAllison@Vax.clarku.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 23:40 EST
From: SCHMIDT%OPUS@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Graphics tablets

We are looking for a graphics tablets (12*12 or 12*17), mostly to trace
anatomical images, and would like imput from epople who have had experience
with them. Do they produce reasonably fine detail? Is it better to scan a
drawing and trace it with a program such as Freehand or Illustrator?
Thanks,
Carl J. Schmidt

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 07:49:52 PDT
From: REM@suwatson.stanford.edu
Subject: Hermes bbs under System 7.0

A while back somebody posted a question about running a Hermes
bulletin-board system under System 7.0. I forwarded a copy of that query
to the sysop of a Hermes/FidoNet bbs in San Jose (408-249-7916) who is
an employee of Apple and works on the technical support hot line.  The
BBS is run on a Macintosh IIcx under System Software 7.0, with 5 megs of
RAM, 3 megs of virtual RAM, and 1.2 gigs of hard drive space. Here is
his reply:

Name: The Crescent Wizard #1 Last on: 6/16/91
Date: Tue, Jun 11, 1991 10:19:03 PM

If I recall Hermes 1.5 is not compatible with 7.0, but Hermes v1.6 is
100% System 7.0 compatible.  Secondly, if the person only wants to run
v1.5 then they are going to have to use 6.0.5 or 6.0.7 and they need to
install the Communications Toolbox or it will not work correctly.  I
hope this is enough information.

------------------------------

Date: 18 June 1991, 09:10:42 EDT
From: Robert E.Moore 404-651-3990 PRPREM%GSUVM1@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: HYPERCARD 2.1 ON?

I remember seeing something about enabling the higher level (scripting)
functions of the version of HYPERCARD that ships with system 7...
something about "magic."  I didn't keep it of course.  Will someone
please refresh me on this?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 09:48:34 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: HyperCard Write-and-Forget Technique

A few days ago I asked how to set up a HyperCard stack so that users
could type into fields in a read-only stack (the typing would be
"forgotten" when the card is closed).

J. Eric Fosler (fosler@eniac.seas.upenn.edu) and Robert J. Brenstein
(GA0095@SIUCVMB.BITNET) sent in the right answer (as verified by
testing with HC 2.0 and System 7.0):  The "userModify" property,
when set to "true", gives the stack exactly the behavior desired.

Others suggested that this behavior is the default when HyperCard
opens a locked stack (or a stack on a locked volume).  That was
my impression, also,  but it looks like this was changed for
HC 2.0. Instead,
typing in a field of a locked stack gives an alert box "This stack
is read-only";  typing is not accepted.  The "userModify" property
is a way around this.

Thanks to all for helping (or trying to).
  -- Joshua Yeidel

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1991 20:30:14 GMT
From: jjz34245@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Cub Fan - Zim man)
Subject: I need a Chooser doc for HPlaserjetII

Does anyone know of, or have a chooser document to run an HP LaserJetII
straight off of a mac plus?

Or, is it possible to use another similar chooser document?

Thanks,

-Zim

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 18:32:44 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Missing Screen Fonts

I have been trying to get 9, 11, and 13 point LaserWriter Plus
screen fonts for a long time.  I even bought the program Parafont
to generate them.  Unfortunately Parafont has a design error which
causes it to not yield the correct widths in some of the fonts
it creates.

What I would like to get are font families including the plain,
bold, italic, and bold-italic versions in sizes 9, 11, and 13 of:

Courier          AvantGarde             Palatino
Times            Bookman                ZapfChancery
Helvetica        Helvetica-Narrow       ZapfDingbats
Symbol           NewCenturySchlbk

Parafont generates reasonably good looking fonts if you have ATM
installed, so I may use the bitmaps from Parafont if I can get
FONDS with the correct widths.

Could anyone who has Fontastic Plus, Fontographer, or any other
font generating program please contact me so this task might be
done for the benefit of everyone on Info-Mac?

Les Ferch, UBC Computing Services
Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca  or  userlsf@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 91 10:30:00 EDT
From: "Charles E. Bouldin" <bouldin@sed.eeel.nist.gov>
Subject: Mobius Two Page Monitor and Accelerator for SE

I just got a two-page monitor for my SE from Mobius. I also got the 25 mhz
030 accelerator board that drives it. This is a LOVELY setup. Using this
monitor with the SE is like suddenly having vision after being blind.

I have been running a Novy systems acclerator board in the SE for some time
and they are the folks who make the Mobius 030 board with the addition of
video circuitry for the big monitor. This system is now as fast as a II ci
and has a 19" screen! I really like it. The monitor is clear, sharp and
steady. There was a little waviness when I first termed it on, but changing the
desktop pattern to a slightly different pattern makes that unnoticeable.

The board did not work in the first SE that I tried it in! Luckily I was able
to swap SE's and get the thing working. This is my only caution: Especially
if you have an older SE, the board may not work. In extreme cases Mobius has
exchanged SE motherboards and that solves the problem. This is a problem that
is (I think) somewhat new to Mobius; they may soon be able to give advice
based on your SE serial number.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 17:14:56 EDT
From: John Major <major@bbn.com>
Subject: Multiuser dbases that don't require server

The latest version (3.5) of the otherwise excellent Double Helix
now *no longer* allows you to log onto the database on the same machine
that you are serving the database from. This means that, to give three
users access to the database, you need 4 Macs. Now, I've heard that other
multiuser databases have been in the same boat for a while - is this
true of 4D, Omnis, and Foxbase?

Thanks - John Major
major@bbn.com
617/873-8165

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 15:06:23 BST
From: M J Sawar <sawar@cbl.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: OzTeX and Macbinary format archive

Hi,
	I have got hold of OzTeX from the ftp site at
tank.uchicago.edu.  We have been able to unbinhex the
.hqx files but there are some .sit files in Macbinary
format, which are giving us trouble. I have tried the
Macbinary program from info-mac, it seems to work i.e
converts to Stuffit archive but when I try to unstuff
it I get errors like "Data Fork damaged" or "Resource
fork of this archive is damaged".

	Has anybody recovered these files before ?
any ideas ?

M.J.Sawar

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 09:19:58 EST
From: Howie Richburg <RICHBUHJ%SNYCENVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Quantum vs Maxtor Hard Drives

I am currently considering the Quantum 210PRO or the Maxtor 213 hard drives.
Does anyone out their have any good and/or bad expereinces with these drives?
Performance, reliability, serviceability, ....etc.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 13:49:01 PDT
From: vannuysd@sonoma.edu
Subject: System 7.0 and Radius FTP

I was eager to upgrade to System 7 but to my dismay, after much trial and
error, I finally figured out that my Radius Full Page Display was the
problem.  When I tried to install sSystem 7 everthing seemed to go smoothely
except the mouse would not move the pointer.  A call to the 900 number
finally confirmed my suspiscious. picions .  A call to Radius gave further confirmation.
I need to get a ROM upgrade on the viedeo interfface card and to gett a
software upgrade from Radius.  The software has not been written yet and I
may have to wait six weeks .s.  I pass this along for the benefit of anyone
else who may have been stymied by this problem.

David Van Nuys
Psychology Dept.
Sonoma State University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91  08:40:53 EDT
From: ZAK@cu.nih.gov
Subject: Tandy 102 and the Mac; ImageWriter II Built-in Fonts

Just got back from vacation and have been going through
the responses about transferring files between the
Tandy 102 and the Mac.  Wow!  Let me get my act together
and I'll summarize for the list...

(I'm also still fooling around with the built-in fonts
on the ImageWriter II; still can't get the pagination
to work right.  Maybe this week...)

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jun 91 15:18:16 BST
From: Nigel Bruce <ECL6NB@lucs-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: Transferring Files - LISA to Mac

Hello

Does anyone know how to tranfer files that have been produced using LisaDraw
on an Apple Lisa machine to the Mac.

I guess there are two sides to it:
    a) Physically transferring the files from a Lisa disk to a Mac one
    b) Converting the software format to a Macintosh one,

Any help on either of these would be appreciated!

Thanks alot

Nigel Bruce
Leeds University Computing Service

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1991 11:32:00 +0200
Subject: TrueType fonts and Copyrights

Hi there,
I would like to know if somebody has already converted the two fonts
Cairo and Mobile given with the System 6 into TrueType format ?

I have another question, I have converted the PostScript laserwriter
fonts such as AvantGarde, Bookman, Palatino, NewCentury, and the 2 Zapf.
I only have them for my own use. I also have found a lot of PS fonts in
my university Mac, such as BrushScript, Carta, CooperBlack, Freestyle Script,
Garamond, Revue, and I also have converted them. They all work correctly in
TrueType format both on the University LaserWriter and my StyleWriter.

So what about the copyrights ? I think that I will not have any problem, if
I use the fonts for my own use only, but what about giving them around,
and send them to this BBS (sumex) ???

I don't have the original files containing both the font and the readme doc..
So I don't know which of them is copyrighted, and which is free/shareware...

Well, does anybody know exactly what I have to do? Can I submit them on
sumex ?

Thanks for any help.

Steve Jordi
University of Geneva
Switzerland
jordi@sc2a.unige.ch

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 13:41 EDT
From: Robert Charles                       <ROB%DUKEMVS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Virtual Desktop??

    I've just recently been exposed to the world of SUN workstations
and became enamoured with the idea of a Virtual Desktop manager.
Has anyone ever developed something like this for the Mac?  I've
heard that SuperMac has something like this for their graphics boards
but is this due to their hardware or is it a program.  Is anyone
interested in tackling a Shareware version?  Please forward any replies
to:  rob@dukemvs.ac.duke.edu
Thanks,
Robert Charles

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 09:34:45 CDT
From: Peter Gerhardstein <gerhard@sunserver.psych.umn.edu>
Subject: Virtual Memory on a Rodime

Hey Folks,

I need some VM like nobodies business.  Can anyone tell me how to do this
on a Rodime 140 Mb internal HD?  I gather its trivial with an Apple disk,
but I don't have such a beast.  Please reply to me.

Peter Gerhardstein --> sunserver.psych.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 18:28 EDT
From: "Roger Marks, Boulder, CO. 303-497-3037" <MARKS@enh.nist.gov>
Subject: WordPerfect bugs

>Date: 9 May 91 11:00 -0700
>From: Rick Sutcliffe
><faith!Rick_Sutcliffe@cs.sfu.ca
>Subject: [*] Nisus Bug Registry
>You will find attached the latest version of the list of bugs I have been
>maintaining for Nisus.  This is a binhexed and stuffed file. Rick Sutcliffe >
>[Archived as /info-mac/report/nisus-bugs.hqx; 23K]

     Good idea. I wonder, has anyone attempted to compile such a beast for
WordPerfect 2.0? I realize that this would probably be too large a task for any
one user, and the results would probably be too large to fit in the archive
without compression. But I thought I'd ask anyway. It would really be useful,
especially since many of the bugs are so bizarre and difficult to pin down that
it's often difficult to determine a way around them.

			Roger

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jun 91 11:41:27 +0200
From: roessli@sc2a.unige.ch (David C. Roessli)
Subject: Yet another RAM cache/IIsi problem ..

Yet another weird problem:

        has anyone of you out there had their RAM cache control refuse to
increase its size over a given value ? Well this is what's happening with
my IIsi 9/80 w/FPU 6.0.7 (works okay under 7.0 though).

The current value can be set to anything in between 32 and 384 K, but not over.

        I booted on the startup disk - ditto
        I installed a brand new system from scratch - ditto

Were is this kind of info stored anyway ? Can it be zapped ? (I tried zapping
the PRAM without success..).

Please give me a hint..

:david    (david@scsun.unige.ch)

End of Info-Mac Digest