info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/27/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 26 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 147

Today's Topics:

      [*] Adventure.cpt
      [*] B-Panel cdev
      [*] Crystal Cave 2.2 game
      [*] FontMonger 1.0 Demo
      [*] Max Files
      [*] Pointing Device
      [*] Review of Freedom of Press
      [*] SaveTheEarth PICT
      [*] ThoughtPattern Demo version 1.1
      [*] VirusDetective 4.0.4
      [*] Zork
      also SLIP and NCSA Telnet
      baud rate problem... arrrgh..
      BBS systems
      File Sharing Problem
      ftp to ftp.apple.com----the answers
      Go Master
      How 'non-standard' is Apple's SCSI implementation?
      HP DeskWriter (2.1) will not print under system 7.0
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #146
      Info on InterCon NFS/Share
      MacKermit
      Mac vs. IBM viruses
      Marking changes to an MS Word Document
      MAZ & Shareware fees
      Music software or works
      postscript kermit transfers to a VAX
      Problem installing color icons
      Running HyperCard 1.2.* and 2.*
      Uploading PC binaries
      Viruses: Mac vs. DOS

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 01:06:19 PDT
From: cg108fbs@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Anthony C. Ard)
Subject: [*] Adventure.cpt

This is a brand-new port of the 550-point Colossal Cave Adventure that
has been running under Unix for quite some time.

The Macintosh interface  has been used  as much as  possible, such  as
using dialogs  for save and restore.  Frequently used commands  can be
entered via pull-down menus, you  can cut and  paste from  and  to the
terminal window, and more!

[Archived as /info-mac/game/adventure.hqx; 136K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 13:03 GMT+1
From: FRICCI@polito.it
Subject: [*] B-Panel cdev

BPPanel is a small cdev/init combination that lets you configure the system
beep by adding a text message to the standard beep procedure. What you get is a
window popping up at beep time with a one-line message, then either a sound or
a user-defined pause before it disappears. You can turn on and off the window
and the beep separately (no signal at all, beep only, message only, or both).
You can configure the font and size of the text, the window location and size
and the message to be displayed. To avoid bombs, quite a few environment checks
are performed before the window opens. The Gestalt routine is also called,
which means that BPPanel won't work with systems earlier than 6.0.5 (I think).
If the window can't be opened (weird situations like a program beeping and
quitting before initializing the Mac environment), only the sound will be
played - if it's enabled.
BPPanel can also be used to turn off the beeps completely, which can be useful
to speed up run-alone software like BBS management programs.
BPPanel was written in Italy by Alessandro Levi Montalcini.

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/bp-panel.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1991 11:31:31 PDT
From: kevin@kosman.uucp (Kevin O'Gorman)
Subject: [*] Crystal Cave 2.2 game

This is a replacement.  I discovered that the reason I was getting
complaints was that the fixed version from comp.binaries.mac never
got onto info-mac archives.

This is a maintenance release.  Details in the readme.  It actually
had 2 beta-testers this time.

Crystal cave is designed to be a followup to the original Adventure
text game.  It has in jokes and traps that will mainly catch folks
who try to do what worked in the earlier game.  It's a bit bigger
and more complex than Adventure, but works in more or less the same
way.

It works on all macs, but has NOT been tested on System 7 (at least
not by me).

[Archived as /info-mac/game/crystal-cave-22.hqx; 150K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 10:50:36 PDT
From: jDo@polaris.sjc.mentorg.com
Subject: [*] FontMonger 1.0 Demo

FontMonger lets you convert outline fonts between the major Macintosh
formats -- TrueType, PostScript Type 1 and Type 3.  With FontMonger, you
can scale, slant and combine characters from your existing fonts to make
customized fonts and characters such as small caps, oblique characters
and fractions.  You have access to special (unencoded) characters hidden
away in your fonts, or you can merge characters from different fonts
into a single font. You can even import artwork from Adobe Illustrator
and Aldus Freehand into your fonts, and export characters for use in
Illustrator, Freehand and other applications.

This demo version of FontMonger contains all functionality except the
ability to save fonts or export characters.  It also contains most of
the on-line help.  See the Read Me file for details.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/font-monger.hqx; 436K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 22:13:50 EDT
From: afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R Fry)
Subject: [*] Max Files

Here's a nice little freeware cdev that lets you set the maximum number of
open files on your boot volume (solves that annoying -42 error).

Cheers,

Alan

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/max-files.hqx; 10K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 22:18:34 EDT
From: afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R Fry)
Subject: [*] Pointing Device

Here is a little cdev that let's you change the mouse tracking speed to
whatever you like.  It's more flexible than the mouse cdev that comes with
the system, and it lets you speed the mouse up considerably.

I'll categorize it as "mysterware", meaning I don't know where in the heck
it came from.  I suspect it was distributed with one of the alternate input
devices (a trackball or a tablet or somethin), but it doesn't seem to be a
commercial product.

Cheers,

Alan

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/pointing-device.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 16:46:56 -0500
From: Don Gillies <gillies@cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] Review of Freedom of Press

Here is a review of the Freedom of Press Postscript Interpreter.
Everyone keeps asking about this interpreter so I thought I'd put
the review in a public place.  It contains information on how to
substitute ATM fonts for the 4 basic ugly FOP fonts.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/freedom-of-press.txt; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 13:54:29 CDT
From: hallett@positron.com (Jeff Hallett 548-5163	)
Subject: [*] SaveTheEarth PICT

Enclosed  is  a Binhex'd PICT   file  containing  a picture  promoting
recycling. It  features  a  picture of  Mother  Earth behind   a stark
recycling  symbol.  Very  colorful - pieced  it  together  in about 10
minutes for use in the Picture Frame After Dark module.

It is free.  If you like it, send me email. Enjoy.

Jeffrey A. Hallett (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallettJ@med.ge.com

[Archived as /info-mac/art/save-the-earth.hqx; 178K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 22:49:48 PDT
From: "Heyward G. Robinson" <robinson@sierra.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] ThoughtPattern Demo version 1.1

ThoughtPattern is the only product for Macintosh that allows you
to store, cross-reference, and retrieve both free-form text such
as notes, reminders, and contacts as well as file-based
information like letters, budgets, images, and more.
ThoughtPattern lets you set alarms and priorities and has the ability
to directly launch any other application, letting you manage all the
files on your hard disk along with the notes, reminders, and contacts
that are stored in ThoughtPattern itself.

Instead of locking you into a prestructured format, ThoughtPattern is
designed to work like our minds, associating and locating information
in many different ways. This gives you database capabilities for all
your diverse, real-world information without requiring you try to make
it fit into the regular field and record format of traditional
databases.

Try out the ThoughtPattern demo today.  It is a fully working version
of the program limited only in that files can store up to 25 pieces
of information in one file instead of the normal 16,000 pieces.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/though-pattern-11.hqx; 287K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 18:37:23 EDT
From: jshul@baks.bell-atl.com (Jeff Shulman)
Subject: [*] VirusDetective 4.0.4

A new strain of the ZUC virus was recently discovered in Italy (called
ZUC C.) A new search string to catch all variants, which replaces the
old search string, is:

Filetype=APPL & Resource Start & ID=1 & WData A746*A033*A042*A9F7
; For finding ZUC Virus A, B & C

If you already have VirusDetective 4.0.3a you only need the new search
string file (posted separately). This posting is the COMPLETE DA, doc,
and search strings in a self-extracting archive.

VirusDetective is a DA for tracking down viruses (or any resources) in files.

You specify the resource type and various attributes.  Once the offending
resource is found it can optionally be removed from the file (use this
feature with caution) or file deleted.  The user can update the search list
at any time.  Shareware.

 Jeff Shulman
 jshulman@baks.bell-atl.com

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/virus-detective-404.hqx; 102K
             /info-mac/virus/virus-detective-404-searches.hqx; 17K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 01:02:33 PDT
From: cg108fbs@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Anthony C. Ard)
Subject: [*] Zork

To all adventure lovers and nostalgia buffs:

You've waited long enough!

That's right, the orignal mainframe DEC version of Zork is finally
available for the Macintosh. Although it is still true and faithful to
the original, some enhancements have been made such as:

	o Unlimited number of saved games and support for Mac file
	  dialogs.
	o Frequently used commands are available from pull-down menus.
	o Ability to send output to a chooser-selected printer.
	o Nifty about box.
	o Full complement of Finder color icons.

It works great with system 4.1 and up including system 7.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/zork.hqx; 270K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 8:35:23 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: also SLIP and NCSA Telnet

cas@fenk.wau.nl (Cas Meyer) writes:
>Don Proctor said:
>
>>I've heard that NCSA Telnet v2.3 supports a SLIP connection if you
>>specify hardware=slip9600 in your config.tel file.  Has anybody had
>>success using this over a dialup line?
>>
>>If so, I'd be interested in any hints you might be able to share.
>
>I'm very interested too, so if anyone has any hints could (s)he send me a copy
>too or post it to the list?

I don't have it, but you can check at ftp.cisco.com [131.108.1.27]. My notes
show that you should find NCSA Telnet 2.3 with SLIP and BYU's ftp client
there.

                tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1991 19:58:53 GMT
From: jjz34245@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Cub Fan - Zim man)
Subject: baud rate problem... arrrgh..

Hello,

I have been using the versaterm pro program to connect up to the local
"ethernet" network here, which can run up to 9600 baud.

But today, the application somehow got erased.  When I replaced it off
of another nearby macintosh (which was working fine) the program wouldnt
work on my macintosh.  After messing around for a while, I found that my
mac would work when I set the baud rate to 1200, and nothing else.

One wierd thing of note is that no matter what I had the baud rate set to
(by puling down from the settings menu), the help option (under the apple
menu) would always show that I was set for 1200 baud.

What else do I have to change/save to make this work at 9600 again?

thanks,

-Zim

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 09:05:16 EDT
From: Clinton Collins <BEBRF14%NERVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: BBS systems

Hello Net travelers!

I am interested in setting a BBS in my area that will cater to support
issues for Macintosh computers and offer pd/shareware downloads.  I
would like to start with 5 lines with the potential to add many more.
I would also like for the user interface to be of the point and shoot
variety versus the ever popular command line variety.  Did I mention
that I would really like to use Macintosh hardware?  I am very familiar
with the one line command line BBS options which are available, but I
have no information about hardware and software which will accomplish
the objectives above.  Any insightful info from net travelers about
this issue would be much appreciated!

Clinton Collins, University of Florida

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 16:11:15 EDT
From: fortier@mipsmath.math.uqam.ca (Pierre Fortier)
Subject: File Sharing Problem

Help!

I've installed System 7.0 on a few Macs linked together with AppleTalk. When a
Mac is starting up, it keeps reading its hard disk for a few minutes, much
longer than usually.

The problem seems to lie in the File Sharing System.  If I select "Sharing" in
the file menu, a message appears and tells me that "the File Sharing System is
currently setting up". When I turn off the File Sharing, the Macs respond well
and don't behave "strangely". When I turn it back on, they again read and read
their hard disk.

Is this normal?
If not, what should I do?

Please answer directly to me, I will summarize the answers I get.

Thanks.
Pierre Fortier
EMail: fortier@lacim.uqam.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 05:51:22 -0400
From: jones@estsc1.dnet.nasa.gov
Subject: ftp to ftp.apple.com----the answers

Dear net people,

Thank you for helping me with my problem connecting to ftp.apple.com. Well not
actually connecting to it as the problem turns out to be that apple have
implemented a rationing scheme, one of whose consequences is that their
FTP server will only accept connections from registered sites. This therefore
excludes gateways and bridges.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 22:07:25 PDT
From: 6500wong%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Ki Ching Wong)
Subject: Go Master

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Does anyone know how well this game Go Master perform? Is it easy to beat
>the computer? Are there other Go game programs that are tougher than Go
>Master?

>Thanks for any reply.

>Chou
I haven't tried too many Go games out there.  I have only tried
one program "Go" (I think) other than Go Master.  I must say Go
Master is a LOT more sophisticated.  I don't know how skilled you
are with the game.  They claim Nemesis is 13 kyu at its strongest
setting (35 kyu is a beginner).  I don't play very well so I
can't tell if it's indeed 13 kyu (BTW, 13 is from memory, I think
that's on the box that I trashed)  But it makes me think and
at times, really hard.  If you like the game, and you're not
very skilled with it, it's a good bet.

-Ki Wong
6500wong@ucsbuxa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 12:37 SST
From: BLIAN%NUSDISCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: How 'non-standard' is Apple's SCSI implementation?

Dear Netters:

I understand that Apple's implementation of SCSI is non-standard.  Does this
mean that I cannot use a 'normal' SCSI device on ?  I am asking because
I am soon to take delivery of a MIPS workstation having an Archive 2150S
'Viper' tape drive, and I would like to use this for my Mac backups as well.
Retrospect supports the Archive mechanism but asking MIPS to mount it in an
expansion chassis (so that it can be used separately from the workstation)
might simply be a waste of time if there are problems with the Mac's SCSI
implementation.  (Does it make a difference which model of Mac one has?)

Thanks in advance for your (email) replies,

Ben Lian  [ blian@nusdiscs.bitnet ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 00:18:35 EDT
From: bmwu@athena.mit.edu
Subject: HP DeskWriter (2.1) will not print under system 7.0

Hi:
	I just upgraded my Mac IIcx to system 7.0; however, I
could not print to my HP DeskWriter after the upgrade.
Yes, VM is turned OFF.  However, the diskache is on.  I am
not sure if there is a way to turn it off.

	I have tried various maneuvers such as putting the
printer driver inside & outside the extensions folder with
 or without the printer font folder (DeskWriter Fonts).
But it still does not work.  Every time, I open chooser, the
DeskWriter icon is never selected.  I would select it, got
to an application to print.  I would always get the message
"can't open printer"  I would open chooser again & the DeskWriter
icon is still not selected.  I am not sure what's causing
this behavior.

	Background information:  8 megs of RAM, 40 meg HD,
original HP DeskWriter without the appletalk port, inits
include
	extension manager, gatekeeper, gatekeeper's aid,
	disinfectant init, temperament II.

	Thank you in advance for the help.  I would hate
to go back to system 6.0x.

	Benson Wu
	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 21:49:37 EDT
From: dfh@edsel.att.com (David F Hoerl)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #146

FYI, I sent in a shareware fee for 3 people ($75), wrote the check myself,
and never heard from the guy (who so far hasn't cashed the check). Mine
just quit working yesterday ...

I plan to re-install and see what happens.

David Hoerl
AT&T Bell Labs

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 20:53:03 PDT
From: smith@whistler.sfu.ca (Richard Smith)
Subject: Info on InterCon NFS/Share

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Hi Folks,

>I am interested in receiving comments or 1st hand experiences about
>using the InterCon NFS/Share to emulate AppleShare from NFS hosts.
>Is this the product that does not require additional host software
>on top of NFS? Would it work ethernetted to a Cyber 860?

I have a copy of NFS/Share and can not get it to work. I *think* the
problem is a lack of permissions to mount on the unix side. There is no
mention of this in the manual that I have but one reviewer on the
internet, more knowledgable than I, was able to confirm that you do need
to be listed in the /etc/exports file. Our system admin refuses to allow
" a mac" to NFS mount so that is the end of it - for now. For me at
least.

I lent the software to someone in the computing services department and
he was able to run it flawlessly. He likes it a lot. It works both with
an ethernet card and localtalk/router.

It isn't quite true that no additional software is required but you are
likely running the required software - one of NIS, pcnfsd, bwnfsd (which
comes with NFS/Share, although it fails to compile on the SUN) - if you
have other NFS clients. A small utility, NFS/Test, lists all the
available hosts in your near environment and whether they are running
the requisite software.

Overall, good idea but not quite as simple as one would hope. If you
have the cooperation of the unix sys admin, you shouldn't have any
problems. The manual is not very well done but perhaps they have revised
it since I got my copy - I did speak to customer support, technical
support and even the guy who wrote the software and they were all
helpful and knowledgeable. The fellow who wrote the software also wrote
the manual and he said he would try to revise some of the most ambiguous
parts.

...r
--
Richard Smith
Research Associate

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 13:20:46 CDT
From: JOHNSON%TWSUVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: MacKermit

Is anyone using MacKermit with System 7?  If so, which Macintosh?  MacKermit
version 0.98.  Thanks
Brenda F. Johnson
Academic Support Programmer
Wichita State University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 10:27:18 EDT
From: jbotz@mhc.mtholyoke.edu (Jurgen Botz)
Subject: Mac vs. IBM viruses

>    This might be a really stupid question, so forgive me in advance if it is.
> I heard someone say today that Mac systems are more susceptible to viruses
> contracted from diskettes than are IBM systems, "... because every formatted
> Mac diskette is, in effect 'executed' when it is mounted -- there is
> executable code that is run as part of the mounting procedure." [His words]

This is both, true and not true.  Actually a disk does not get 'executed'
when it is mounted, but there is a file (called "the desktop file") which
_can_ have executable code hiding it it which might get executed under
certain circumstances.  There were a couple of viruses which took advantage
of this fact ('MDEF' and 'WDEF') and as a result these were probably the
most 'contageous' viruses in computer history so far.  However, there are
now several good programs to protect against this type of virus (check out
'Gatekeeper Aid') which will not only catch the known viruses of this type,
but completely protect your system against any virus trying to use this
mechanism to infect your system.

Now, this is one side of the story, but there is another, in my oppinion
more important side to all this.  And that's that there are _far_ more PC
(MS-DOS) viruses than there are Mac viruses, and many of them are crassly
malicious -- they will try to erase your hard disk, destroy your files,
render your system inoperable, etc.  While there is no such thing as a
really non-malicious virus (the very concept of a virus is malicious),
almost all the major Mac viruses did not purposely try to damage your
system.

I've often wondered why this would be the case, and I feel that the
reason is that the Macintosh is simply more difficult to program... by
the time a programmer has reached the necessary level of sophistication
to write a virus program on the Macintosh s/he is simply much less likely
to waste her/his time with stupid pranks or vicious vandalism.  This would
also seem to explain in part why there haven't really been any new Mac
viruses in a while... the only motivation that there is for a real pro-
grammer to spend long nights coding a virus program is the sense of doing
something new and being the first to do it.  As a result there was a wave
of relatively clever and complex Mac viruses for a little while, but now
it's all been done before.

On the PC it doesn't look quite so good... there are thousands of (often teen-
age) would-be programmers hacking around on PC-clones in assembly language
who haven't the sophistication or endurance to write real applications, but
just enough knowledge of MS-DOS internals to try their hands at computer
vandalism.  To know enough about Mac internals to 'hack around' in the oper-
ating system on the other hand takes years of work.

Also, Macintosh virus protection software is simply better, and the best
of it ('Disinfectant', 'Gatekeeper', 'Gatekeeper Aid') is FREE!  Long live
the spirit of Macintosh!

- Jurgen Botz, Academic Systems Engineer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 11:56:35 PDT
From: Gary.Sager@eng.sun.com (Gary Sager)
Subject: Marking changes to an MS Word Document

Does anyone know of tools that help one identify the changes that have
occurred from one version of an MS Word document to another?

For example:

something like the UNIX `diffmk' utility that allows you to take an old
version, a new version and generate a third version that has change
bars down the right side of the output document to mark the lines that
differ between the old and new versions.

Something that actually creates a marked output would be ideal, but for
lack of that, any tools that simply identify the changes would be of
great use (there is a compare utility posted, but I believe it only
works for plain text files, not for MS Word docs).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 08:52:39 edt
From: olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com (Rocky Olive)
Subject: MAZ & Shareware fees

>I know I know... send in the shareware fee and ask the author. If our
>employers would reimburse us for paying shareware fees we'd be more likely
>to.

If there was commercial software to do the same thing, would you be able to
justify its purchase?  Shareware should be no different.

Shareware fees are not optional.  If you don't want to pay (or aren't able
to pay), then you shouldn't use the software.  If it means that much to you,
use it and compensate the author (even if it has to come from your own pocket).

Too many people abuse the terrific notion of "try before you buy", and treat
it as "buy if you feel like it".  Authors deserve compensation for their
efforts.  After all, where would the mac be today, if not for freelance
authors?

I'm not flaming you, Mr. Mueller, but if you or your co-worker's
unregistered software stops working after 3 months, I don't have any
pity.  Don't use your employer as a scapegoat.

Rocky Olive

(these are my opinions, based on the definition of shareware)

PS: I know this subject has been discussed many times, but I think it needs to
be revived every once in a while, lest users forget their obligations to
buy or discard shareware.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 14:07:23 EXP
From: 88272031%KRSNUCC1.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Music software or works

Mac is superior to any other PC
 in the area of sound and music.
I found many sites that have music files for IBM-PC or Amiga.
  such as Scream tracker,Amiga module tracker.
But I can't find any Mac-music files in sumex-archive or the other sites
  such as those of "Delux music" or "Super studio session".
Could you tell me the sites that have Mac music files,
 and programs like conversion utility
            (Amiga tracker<--> Mac studio session).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 12:11 +0200
From: PURSCHKE%DMSWWU5P.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: postscript kermit transfers to a VAX

in one of the last issues, Francis Knight (knight@swfmc1.sinet.slb.com) and
Mike Fridberg (FRIDBERG@alcvax.pfc.mit.edu) have  similar problems with
postscript transfers to a VAX:

>Pignose, created by Fontographer 3.1, and otherwise a very attractive font, has
>a block 47 k long, all without a pause for carriage return. It's the Vax which
>chokes on this when I upload it wih Kermit. If I break it up manually[...]

>Plus, in system 6 generated file I have to put just 1 CR in laserprep
>dictionary (otherwise it can't be transmitted to VAX, kermit says "record too
>long") and in sys 7 file those "too long records" are zillion? I can't possibly
>edit it by hands!

What I do if I have to transmit the laserprep is to specify binary kermit
on the Mac and "set file type fixed" on the VAX. No need for additional
CR's here. You'll end up with 512 byte blocks that print fine.

        Martin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 09:26:55 -0400
From: fprefect@caen.engin.umich.edu (Matt Slot)
Subject: Problem installing color icons

  To properly install the System 7 Color Icons in the archives, you
will need to be a little clever with ResEdit. Because the Finder is
always running under System 7, the Finder Prefs file is always busy!
To get around this you'll need to do the following...

   1. Option-Drag the Finder Prefs file to the Desktop (make a copy)
   2. Modify the file on the Desktop.
   3. Put the original copy into the trash.
   4. Place the modified Finder Prefs files into the Preferences
      folder.
   5. Quit the Finder, either using the (hacked) Quit command, or
      by simply Restarting.

  This should clear up the problems you are having. If there are any
more questions, suggestions, or such, please mail them to me directly!

fprefect@caen.engin.umich.edu            Matt Slot, CAEN Mac-Support

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1991 20:46 CDT
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: Running HyperCard 1.2.* and 2.*

One could use _Launch and install different versions of Hypercard in the icon
dock. That way different versions are loaded very easily (then with different
home card associated with each, link buttons to desired stacks.)

-Tom

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 20:07:48 EDT
From: kenh@eclectic.com (Ken Hancock)
Subject: Uploading PC binaries

I've recently been forwarded binaries for both a Macintosh version
and a PC version of an application, both of which I'm supposed to
upload to the appropriate archives.

The mac part isn't a problem, but I do have a few questions on
the PC side:

o To what addresses do I submit binaries
o What PC compression format do I use
o What's the easiest way (also using available tools) to go from:
  PC 3.5" disk to
  Mac (Apple File Exchange?) to
  compressed PC binary (what mac apps are available?) to
  Unix box (not a problem -- I use ZTerm) to
  archive sites

Thanks in advance --

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 13:22:10 SDT
From: ALexander Falk <FALK2%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Viruses: Mac vs. DOS

  Alan Bulley quoted another person saying that Macs are more susceptible
to virus attacks than DOS machines, because "ever formatted Mac disk is
'executed' when it is mounted".

  While it is true that there is a possibility that a virus installs itself
in such a way that it is automatically executed each time an infected
disk is inserted into the Mac (which is precisely what the WDEF virus
does) I would not draw any conclusion as to whether Macs or DOS computers
are in any way "more susceptible" to viruses from this fact.

  On the contrary - in the DOS world there are today more than 200 known
strains of viruses (and probably many more unknown...) while on the Mac
we currently face 20 or so different viruses, which are to date ALL
detected both by commercial and free virus scanning and disinfecting
utilities. The conclusion I would draw from this is that the average Mac
user will have fewer encounters with viruses than a DOS user. Moreover,
on the Mac we so far have NOT seen any hostile virus (i.e. a virus that
destroys data on purpose), while in the DOS world there are MANY viruses
who deliberatly erase files or format hard disks.

  Let's hope that this stays so in the future!

(A)(L)exander (F)alk                         <FALK2@edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>

End of Info-Mac Digest