info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/28/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 27 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 148

Today's Topics:

      [*] TidBITS#67/17-Jun-91
      AppleEvents & HC 2.1
      ATC Support Policy again
      Beep tone
      Denon DRD-253M CD-ROM drive
      external switches
      Gone Away!
      Help locating Creativity apps?
      HQX files
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #146 (2 msgs)
      International Systems
      isStationery bit
      language converters
      MacX
      MaxAppleZoom
      MAZ & Shareware fees
      Need Help in Rome!
      network problem (solution)
      News Readers and NFS Clients
      PICT->bitmaps
      Preferences folder and foreign systems 7.0
      Questions about Termulator
      Rebuild desktop?
      Replacement HD for Portable
      Request for Amharic and Transliteration Amharic Fonts
      Shiva systems SE/30 Etherport board
      System 7.0 32 Bit Problem
      TidBITS issues, MaxAppleZoom questions
      Uploading PostScript to VAX
      Word Finder & System 7

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 10:07:24 GMT
From: ace@tidbits.ithaca.ny.us (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: [*] TidBITS#67/17-Jun-91

Index of TidBITS#67/17-Jun-91

REPOSTED BECAUSE OF A MANGLED FILE - SORRY

  Reviews/17-Jun-91

  MailBITS/17-Jun-91 -- Adam and Tonya just got married, so
     this issue was assembled by a guest editor.

  SevenBITS/17-Jun-91 -- Some hints about using Aliases and the
     TrueType version of the New York font.

  DOS 5.0 -- An overview of Microsoft's new version of DOS,
     released just last week. New features include some utilities
     licensed from Central Point Software.

  Donating Old Computers -- Don't know what to do with your old,
     obsolete Mac? Donate it to one of these non-profit groups
     that "recycles" old technology and gets it into the hands of
     people who don't have even the old stuff.

  MODE32 to the Rescue -- A review of the new product from
     Connectix, makers of Virtual. MODE32 gets Apple off the hook
     (well, almost) by making some old Macs 32-bit clean.

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-67.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 11:27:22 CDT
From: strick@slcs.slb.com
Subject: AppleEvents & HC 2.1

  I was playing around last night and managed to create a
  stack that let's me experiment with events from/to HyperCard
  on two machines across a net.

  The stack is simple ...
    One Background containing three fields and one button.
      fld "Program" - This is a simple 1 line field, into which I
                      can enter a program name.  This can be on
                      the same machine or across a net.

                      ie. ZONE:Macintosh Name:Program

      fld "Command" - This is is a multi-line field where I can
                      enter a series of HyperTalk strings that will
                      get sent to the program one at a time.

                      ie. go stack "Addresses"
                          find string "Willie" in fld "FirstName"
                          fld "HomePhone"

      fld "Result"  - This is a mutli-line field that ends up with a
                      log of Events, Programs and Results.  It is a
                      scrolling fld.

      bg btn "Send Event" - has the following script

         on mouseUp
           set cursor to WATCH
           put ", "   into CM
           put RETURN into CR
           if fld "Program" is EMPTY then
             answer program "Select a remote Program"
             put it into fld "Program"
           end if
           put fld "Program" into aeProg
           repeat with i = 1 to number of lines in fld "Command"
             put line i of fld "Command" into aeCmnd
             send    aeCmnd to program aeProg
             put the result into aeRslt
             if aeRslt is EMPTY then
               put aeCmnd &CM& aeProg &CM& "Success!" &CR before fld "Result"
             else
               put aeCmnd &CM& aeProg &CM& aeRslt &CR before fld "Result"
             end if
           end repeat
         end mouseUp

    Usage - I create a new card, click the button and a browser appears
            that allows me to pick a ZONE, Host and Program.  The resulting
            program spec gets returned to the "Program" fld  Then I
            enter one or more HyperTalk lines in the "Command" fld and
            click the button again and watch for the results.

    I'm just tossing this out as a way to get started.  I have NO
    documentation on AppleEvents !what-so-ever! at this time.  Perhaps
    a few good AppleEvent hackers can share there power with us.

Don W Strickland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 00:20:16 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: ATC Support Policy again

Like Jeoffrey, I disagree with Bill.  We are a large state university and
we do have decent number of computer support people BUT none of them supports
Macintoshes. You may guess what they support -- IBM stuff. Indeed.
I have been filling the gap semi-officially for a couple of years.
I guess we are fortunate to have Apple Campus Rep in town, but he can't
provide support on a daily basis.  Just in my department we have over
60 people using close to 50 Macs plus a bunch of other network devices.
I managed to convince the department to foot the bill for my AppleLink access,
but in the wake of recent budget cuts I may loose this.  I even didn't hear
about ATC program until now, but I surely would like to participate. I agree
with others that Apple just benefits from us -- I doubt whether there would
even half as many Macs in my department if I wasn't here.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 91 09:15:00 CDT
From: "Dr F J Van Wetering" <fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu>
Subject: Beep tone

I have System 7.0 in both of my machines.  The configurations:
HOME:	OFFICE:
MacPlus ('85)	SE/30
4M RAM	5 MRAM
	  (8 M virtual)
20M Jasmine drive	40M Apple Internal
Imagewriter I	Imagewriter II
	Adaptec Nodem connected to
	  Ethernet
Mac 101 keyboard	Apple xtended keyboard

THE PROBLEM:
Ever since upgrading to 7.0, I now get a sporadic "beep" from the system.
There is no detectable fixed time period, and this beep occurs during no
specific activity.  In the office, it has 'beeped' while I was not doing
ANYTHING, i.e. inactive.

Realizing that this is very incomplete information, has anyone on the net any
idea what might be causing this?  Perhaps something with AppleEvents manager?
I am just guessing!  I could probably "live" with this mildly annoying sound,
but who wants to?   Thanks in advance.

Dr. Francis J.  Van Wetering  fjvanwet@unoma1, fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 15:45 EDT
From: "Larry Deni @ Computer Center" <DENI%CANISIUS.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Denon DRD-253M CD-ROM drive

Does anyone have any experience with the Denon DRD-253M CD-ROM drive?
The 400ms access time and built in speaker appear to make it more
attractive than the Apple CD SC.

Larry Deni
Technical Computing, Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
BITNET:  deni@canisius

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 91 10:15 +0200
From: "K.F. Wender" <wender@uni-trier.dbp.de>
Subject: external switches

Hello netters,
in our research group we are conducting experiments with reaction time
measurements on Apple Macintosh computers. As we had problems in using the
Macintosh keyboard as response keys, we are looking for ways of connecting
external switches
to the Macintosh. We think this could be done either via the serial ports,
the SCSI port, a NuBus card or ADB-port. Has anybody already solved this problem
and
can help us? Perhaps it would be useful to connect the external switches to
an external millisecond timer to obviate the problems with milliseconds
timing on the Macintosh. The Macintosh would then just initiate the timing
and later collect response and response time.

Please send e-mail to wender@uni-trier.dbp.de

Thanks a lot!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 19:50:50 EDT
From: cykhoo%phoenix.Princeton.EDU@ricevm1.rice.edu (via the vacation program)
Subject: Gone Away!

I have left the molecular biology program in Princeton University.
Please get in touch with me at:

     52G Gilstead Court
     Singapore 1130
     Republic of Singapore

     Tel: +65 2540003
     Fax: +65 2535625

I hope to hear from you!

Chong-Yee Khoo

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 17:54:24 +0300
From: David Smith <dave@shum.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Help locating Creativity apps?

Hello,  folks

Does anyone know if there are applications available which have to
do with creative thinking, creative decision making, creative
management and the like?

I'd appeciate any leads, addresses of companies, names of projects,
or products, relevant discussion groups over Internet, etc.
As a matter of fact, if any of you are engaged in any of the above,
I'd like to hear about it. I'm working on a project called EduGates,
which is an interactive computer-aided environment for creative
self-education. Please send replies to:

David Smith <dave@shum.huji.ac.il>  or  <bausd@hujivm1> bitnet.

I'll be happy to summarize any info I receive.

Thanks in advance,
David.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 08:39:46 ITA
From: ibrahim <IBRAHIM%IVRUNIV.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HQX files

I think it is the second time that i ask for help for the HQX files.

I am using a Macintosh IIci with a Token ring adapter and MacDFT 1.1.
My question is :

  What shall I do to get these HQX (.HQX) files on my Macintosh by FTP without
having problems converting them back (both Binhex and Stuffit give me CRC error
 converting these files).
Shall i download them in ascii or in binary mode ?
shall i set any parameter when i down load them to my Mac ?

Many times i could get the .Sit files but stuffit hanghed trying to extract the
 files.

Any help.
                             Ibrahim

[Download them as ASCII and try UnStuffIt Deluxe if you can't unstuff it with
StuffIt 1.5.1.  You should also get StuffIt Classic from the archive. It
can read and write basic Deluxe files.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 09:21:42 EDT
From: T01ERIK%ETSU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #146

RE: MaxAppleZoom

It suddenly stopped working for me this weekend too.
Apparently, the author has put some code in that disables it after a certain da
te (sometime this weekend, it appears.)

I reinstalled it, no go, it wouldn't work.

I reset my clock to June 25, 1990, reinstalled it, and it ran.

I reset my clock to June 25, 1991, and MaxAppleZoom croaked.

So I deleted it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 00:22:18 +0200
From: carre%frensl61.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

|> From: jbotz@mhc.mtholyoke.edu (Jurgen Botz)
|> Subject: Network time servers
|>
|> I believe I have seen several mentions of programs to allow setting the
|> Macintosh clock after a server over the network... are there any such
|> programs available which can interface to Unix network time services?
|>
|> - Jurgen Botz

. time server for macintoshes :
   . Timelord on a macintosh or on a unix machine running CAP
   . macintosh client running tardis
   . anonymous ftp for Tardis package at munnary.oz.au in mac/timelord.1.2.shar.

. InterNet Time server :
   . telnet swisstime.ethz.ch daytime
   . rdate swisstime.ethz.ch

--
Giles Carre
Ecole Normale Superieure   46, allee d'Italie  69364 LYON CEDEX 07 FRANCE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 15:17 EDT
From: GOLDSMII%SNYSYRV1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: International Systems

        Just for everybody's general information.  There are now both
British and French versions of System 7 at ftp.apple.com.  I think this
is a new policy by Apple and (IMO) a welcome one.  Though I have no real
reason for a foreign system its interesting to fool around with.  If
anybody downloads the french version of 7 I'd be interested in knowing if
all the help ballons are in french as well.  I will probably wait for
some of the more unusual foreign system versions.

Ian

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 18:11:15 SDT
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: isStationery bit

After browsing through IM VI and the interface files on the GM CD, I could
not find the location of the isStationery bit in the fdFlags sfFlags  fields.
So I decided to address myself to this forum - sorry if the question is too
technical.
Is this an omission in IM VI or am I missing something important? I really need
 to know this value to implement a stationery aware application.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Norbert

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 12:53:38 +0100
From: norbert@soft.uni-linz.ac.at
Subject: language converters

Hi!

I am looking for some high level language
converters for the Macintosh platform:
in particular

fortran to c
pascal to c
c to pascal
and any others you might know about

I know that the first one exists in the unix world
(is there PD source code ???). The turbo pascal to
C converter is pretty useless in a Mac environment
(are there others ???) So far I have not heard of
the c2p variety.

Thanks for your replies.
(either to the return address in the mail header
or to
K360171@ALIJKU11.bitnet
or to
K360171@EDVZ.uni-linz.ac.at)

Norbert Muller
Institute of Chemistry
Johannes Kepler University
A-4040 Linz
Austria

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 15:24:03 PDT
From: Edan Kabatchnik <ekabatch@us.oracle.com>
Subject: MacX

I just upgraded from MacX 1.0.1 to MacX 1.1.  It's nice to have working cut,
copy, and paste.  However, 1.1, unlike its early cousin 1.0.1, has an mctb
resource and consequently has its own color scheme for the menu bar.  I find
this particularly annoying.  1.1 refuses to use my customized, system wide
mctb.  Any ideas on how to get 1.1 to change its errant ways?

	- Edan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 18:06 EDT
From: Saul Tannenbaum <SAUL_SY@hnrc.tufts.edu>
Subject: MaxAppleZoom

In INFO-MAC V9 #146  JMUELLER%PPL.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov (Jiim Mueller)
asks about possible time bombs in MaxAppleZoom.

There has been a great deal of discussion of this on Compuserve. Almost
everybody who was running MaxAppleZoom found it dead one morning. Some
people have engaged in long experiments, moving video cards around and
such, which seems to change the date on which MaxAppleZoom dies. Others
still seem to be running it fine.

People who have looked at the code see no obvious time bombs, so speculation
is that this is some sort of latent bug. If you want a few months more
use out of this software, then move your video card to a higher
numbered slot. Or set the date back on your Mac. If you're paranoid,
and think that this is an intentional time bomb of some kind, you might
wonder what will happen next and take the software away from your
system until there's some definitive answer as to what's going.

As for sending in one's shareware check and asking the author, many, many
people report sending a check and never having had it cashed. And no
one seems to know where to find the author these days.

Unfortunately, it's incidents like this that gives shareware a very
bad name.

Saul Tannenbaum, USDA HNRC at Tufts University (STANNENB@HNRC.TUFTS.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 23:28:30 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MAZ & Shareware fees

On Wed, 26 Jun 91 08:52:39 edt you said:

>>I know I know... send in the shareware fee and ask the author. If our
>>employers would reimburse us for paying shareware fees we'd be more likely
>>to.
>
>Don't use your employer as a scapegoat.

I work for an employer whose penny ante foolishness often drives me up
the proverbial wall.  HOWEVER, we also have a "thou shall not violate
copyright" policy (officially at least).  We not only cut transfer
vouchers for shareware, we even pay IN ADVANCE (unheard of!) when we
have to.

If your employer balks, the answer is: "well, yes there is a commercial
product that will do the same thing, but it costs three times as much."
which usually is the case.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 22:41:36 EDT
From: Alan David Bulley <458507%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Need Help in Rome!

Is there anyone who lives in the vicinity of Rome who might be able to
help out a visiting scholar? A biblical scholar from the U.S. has been
asked to do a presentation at the International Society of Biblical
Literature conference re: the use of computers in textual studies. He
will be bringing his own IBYCUS computer for the demonstration and is
also trying to line up IBM and Apple equipment   for a well-rounded
demonstration. Does anyone on the list know how he might go about
procuring Mac equipment in Rome for the duration of the conference? The
conference site will be the Pontifical Biblical Institute.

If anyone has any leads at all, could they please contact me at the
address below and I will forward the information.

Thanks in advance,

Alan Bulley
Saint Paul University, Ottawa
458507@UOTTAWA or 458507@ACADVM1.UOTTAWA.CA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 17:21:14 CDT
From: GA0095%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Robert J. Brenstein)
Subject: network problem (solution)

Thanks to all of those who send me suggestions.  Nobody got it right but
most people were real close.  The problem went away after cold restart of
Gatorbox.  Change in the address of one of the gateways between Gatorbox
and proteon must have caused the problem.  Upon tracing we found that
Gatorbox was routing things to the now non-existent gateway.  Beats me how
it figured out to correctly route packets to on-campus computers.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 17:39:58 EST
From: Scott Traurig <traurig@skydvr.sanders.lockheed.com>
Subject: News Readers and NFS Clients

Hi Fellow Netfolks!

     First the good news:  I am using a 2si with 6.07 and MacTCP, and am having
reasonable success using NCSA Telnet 2.3 (the BYU version that includes the FTP
client), LeeMail, and TheNews 1.4 for Telnet/FTP, SMTP mail, and news reading
respectively.  I highly recommend the first two.

     Now the bad news: (1) is anyone aware of a version of Telnet that
implements a VT200 series terminal emulation, or PD/shareware equiv. and (2) A
more stable PD/shareware news reader than TheNews?  TheNews 1.4 crashes _a_lot_
on my system, and TheNews 2.0 is even worse - it will launch and then bring the
whole system down in flames. I also have NewsWatcher, but I haven't been able
to get it to work.  Finally (3) does anyone know of PD/shareware NFS client
software for the Mac?
                         Thanks,
																																	Scott (traurig@ncavax.decnet.lockheed.com)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 16:41:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "John A. Fedak" <jf3c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: PICT->bitmaps

Yo,

    Is there a Mac PICT to unix X window bitmap conversion utility around?
    If so, how can I find it?

    Thanks in advance,
        -Feds

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 23:43:00 PDT
From: glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin)
Subject: Preferences folder and foreign systems 7.0

>Can anybody post here what is the way to get a path to the preferences folder?

Use the FindFolder call to find the special preferences folder.  IM 6, p. 9-44

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 18:54:38 EDT
From: John M. Canning <jc@cvl.umd.edu>
Subject: Questions about Termulator

   James Stricherz (stricher@masic3.ocean.fsu.edu) recently uploaded
"Termulator," a vt100 emulator with scripting and zmodem, from Genie to the
Sumex archives.  It's a pretty nice application, but there are some
problems.  The author, Brad Quick, gives his snail mail address, but does he
have a internet/bitnet address?  Are you out there, Brad?

   Capsule review of Termulator:
     vt100 emulation is good but not perfect.
     [seems to] lack a method for sending a "break."
     scripting language is very nice and user interface is good.
     zmodem works well for binary files, but I can't get it to convert
       Unix newlines into Macintosh carriage returns (as the Sumex zmodem
       claims it should).

  -John Canning (jc@cvl.umd.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 09:46:40 -0900
From: "Lewis Overton"  <SNALO%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Rebuild desktop?

Does anyone know of a program or way, preferably shareware, to rebuild the
desktop under system 7.0 without losing comments?
  Lewis Overton
  snalo@alaska.bitnet
  snalo@orca.alaska.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 10:15:26 PDT
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN@uvvm.uvic.ca>
Subject: Replacement HD for Portable

I need to replace the 40 meg internal HD on my Mac Portable with a
larger capacity drive. My favourite hard drive supplier, APS, doesn't
carry hard drives with the "unusual" portable interface. Does anyone
know of a supplier of appropriate drives? Please respond to me, and I
will summarize for the net.

Paul Romaniuk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 12:57 EST
From: G5100037@nickel.laurentian.ca
Subject: Request for Amharic and Transliteration Amharic Fonts

Some one here at laurentian University is looking for an Amharic font for the
mac. He also really needs the tranliteration of this font, ie; every letter
in Amharic(which looks like greek, a bit) has an equivalent in a "normal"
font. Example an "a" with a bar on top or a "t" with a dot below it.
If anyone knows where I can get this font, please send a message to me.
Thanks for your time
Tom Andersen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 15:34:03 BST
From: erpl08@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Shiva systems SE/30 Etherport board

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

> Has anyone out there gotten Shiva systems SE/30 Etherport board to work
>with system 7.0?

>		Paul Fons,  paul@bk.tsukuba.ac.jp, Inst. of App. Phys.

You need to get new drivers for the boards, they're available at Beta
 version and seem reliable enough.  Best route is through the dealer you got the
cards from.

John Smith
Edinburgh University Computing Service
JANET	erpl08@uk.ac.ed.castle

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 26 Jun 1991 12:01:03 EDT
From: "Jeffrey N. Fritz" <JFRITZ%WVNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7.0 32 Bit Problem

Prior to yesterday, I thought only MS-DOS users had to confront memory
issues.  However, yesterday I ran into a dandy with system 7.0

I expanded a IIci from 8 MB to 20 MB (4 - 4 MB in bank A and 4 - 1 MB
in bank B).  The IIci is running System 7.0.  With 32 bit addressing
turned on all is fine.  The system takes up a little over 2 MB as
expected and there is plenty of application memory.  If I turn off
the 32 Bit memory, the system grabs nearly 15 MB of my 20 MB in the
machine (well, maybe it doesn't grab it - the About This Macintosh
display just reports it).  But clearly I run out of Application memory
after 5 MB is loaded.

This rather strange behavior is somewhat understandable.  After all,
I believe that without 32 bit turned on, the system can only use
up 8 MB of memory.  Apparently, it doesn't know what to do with the
other 12 MB so the system soaks it up.  (I'm sure there is a more
technical explanation!).

Here's the problem.  If I leave off 32 bit memory, I actually have
less memory available than if I dropped back to 8 MB RAM.  If I leave
it on, I have to contend with applications that may not be 32 bit clean.

I'm curious as to the experience of others on the net who are running
in excess of 8 MB.  Which applications, extentions, etc have given you
trouble?  Lastly, is this weird soaking up of memory a normal part of
how the Mac deals with the situation or a problem that Apple must
address?

Comments are welcome.  (By the way the same problem occurs on a IIsi when
loaded with 17 MB).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 09:50:16 GMT
From: ace@tidbits.ithaca.ny.us (Adam C. Engst)
Subject: TidBITS issues, MaxAppleZoom questions

Couple of things:

First off, my apologies for forgetting the special characters to make
the TidBITS#68 snnouncement show up at the top of the last Info-Mac
posting.

Second, my apologies for the mangling of TidBITS#67, which Mark H.
Anbinder sent out for me. He has almost exactly the same paths and
mailers as I do (we have the same uucp host), so the fact that the
files were all mangled (lots of extra CR's in them - which when stripped
produced a good file) was really strange. Mark will be helping out
even more when I'm off the nets temporarily in late July and August
during our move to Seattle, so bear with him. He's doing a good job.

Third, would someone please summarize what's happened with MaxAppleZoom
for me? I use an Apple 13" color monitor on an SE/30, so I never used
it. I gather that it was shareware and expired on Friday 6/21. Had
anyone who sent in the shareware fee gotten a new version that works
correctly? You'll have to admit, it's an interesting shareware 'gotcha.'
Wait until the people have gotten really fond of the utility for a
few years and then pull out the rug. Of course, it's only excusable
if the people who paid really do get a working update. Please send
me email, and if you don't want to be cited in the TidBITS article,
please mention that too.

Many thanks .... -Adam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 09:42 EDT
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Uploading PostScript to VAX

In a recent issue of Info-Mac, I saw a couple people complaining about "line
too long" errors when uploading PostScript files to a VAX.  At the risk of
asking a dumb question:  have you folks tried typing "SET FILE TYPE BINARY" at
the KERMIT> prompt before uploading the file?  That's what I have to do.

Mark Nutter [manutter@grove.iup.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 23:09:55 CDT
From: dlc@arco.com (Dane Cantwell (915)688-5625)
Subject: Word Finder & System 7

If you have not noticed Word Finder that came with MS Word 4.0 does not work
with Word and System 7.  It is not aware you are executing it with MS Word
and gives an error msg.  You can fix this by using ResEdit to copy all of the
Resources from Word Finder and pasting them into your copy of Word.  Once this
is done you remove Word Finder from you System Folder/Control Panel folder.
Word Finder will only show-up under the Apple when Word is executing in the
forground.  This works for me and I have not seen any problems with it.

Don't blame me if you thrash your only copy of Word doing this!
(i.e. Use a copy!)

dlc@arco.com (Dane Cantwell)
ARCO Oil and Gas Company

End of Info-Mac Digest