info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/29/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 28 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 149

Today's Topics:

      Adaptec Nodem software anywhere ?
      Apple Events and HC 2.1
      Apple File Exchange
      Apple on campus (cont.)
      article
      combined video card, monitor '30 package for SE?
      FileSharing Startup
      Finder could be more helpful
      Font Substitution
      Foreign Exchange Trading Simulation
      Freedom of the Press
      FYI & HELPME: DeskWriter, Sys 7.0, Zapf Chancery problem...
      GRE Prep software for the Mac
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #146
      Info-Mac Digest V9 #148
      Japanese Software
      Jumping cursor in Word
      Mac <--> IBM file transfer and conversion
      MacTCP Driver
      Mac vs. IBM
      MaxAppleZoom
      MS Word "Extras"
      OzTeX pk files
      Question about assembling one's own MacII
      re SuperClock & System 7 (background chimes)
      SCSI conflicts
      SLIP and NCSA Telnet
      Sub Battle Simulators for the Mac
      symantec applelink address
      Word Finder & System 7

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 15:20:39 EDT
From: stephan@psych.toronto.edu
Subject: Adaptec Nodem software anywhere ?

I have a "Nodem" from Adaptec that connects my Mac to the local
UNIX system. It was working fine, until I tried to re-install
the Nodem network software after a System upgrade and I found
that the original software disk had been damaged. I called Adaptec
to order a replacement disk, but I was told that the Nodem has
been discontinued, and that the software wasn't available (!).

If someone has the Nodem network software or knows where I can
get it, please let me know. The (expensive) hardware is useless
until I can find the installation software!

--Stephan Hamann [stephan@psych.toronto.edu]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 09:37:09 EDT
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple Events and HC 2.1

   There has been a number of questions on using Apple Events from HC 2.1
I thought I would pass along this bug fix:  With the 2.1 update is a stack
called "Apple Events Primer."  This stack allows you to try out all sorts
of Apple Events situations, including a real-time "chat" mode.  Unfortunately,
there is a bug in the stack that will not allow you to chat.  To fix it,
edit the script of the button labelled "Send Message..." on the conversing
card.  In it you will see the line:

  Send "Apple Event Primer" && quote & theNews &

Change this line so that it reads:

  Send "Gossip" && quote & theNews &

You will have to do this to both your copy of the primer, and to your friends
copy.  Have fun!

Bret Ingerman            Syracuse University        ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 91 14:57:27 U
From: "Todd Foley" <todd_foley@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject: Apple File Exchange

                       Subject:                               Time:2:49 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Apple File Exchange                    Date:6/27/90
Does anyone have or know the location of a translator which will do an
effective translation from Prodos to Mac?  I have files written on an Apple
IIGS with MultiScribe GS which I want to use on MS Word or WordPerfect for the
Mac.
If you can help, please E-mail me at <todd_foley@yccatsmtp.ycc.yale.edu>
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 16:53:45 +0000
From: bill@ntb.apple.com
Subject: Apple on campus (cont.)

			It may surprise you to know that I am an Apple Student Rep at
Villanova University and was the ONE person in our computer support
department that even looked at Macs. I have seen the stuff that you
mention occur all the time. Schools get 100 macs, but think that the
machines will support themselves and place no other resources toward
them. It is discouraging and is especially discouraging when Apple
seems to disappear after the purchase. But it is the school's
responsibilty to support the machines on campus, not Apple's (you
will notice that no one in your computer department is from IBM,
though that's the machine everyone supports).
			We have had Macs for five years now, and the computer support
people just started "officially" supporting them this year. The only
reason that they did this at all was because the faculty and
students complained to every person in the administration.
			The moral of the story is that Macs have moved their way into
every campus through back doors and without school support. It is
now time for all you users to push for school support for the
machines. I doubt that pushing Apple is going to do much in the way
of direct customer support on campuses. BUT, pushing the
administration may start things moving. Don't expect miracles to
happen over night. It takes a long time for a program to actually
work (I've seen it personally). And many times you may think you are
getting somewhere only to be pushed down. But we got our Macintosh
computers because we believe in them (even if you don't believe in
Apple). If the support people out there had half the computer
knowledge they think they do, they would support the Macs right now.
			Don't whine about what Apple has done (or flame me, as this is
jusy my opinion), but start Users' Groups, show other
students/faculty all the cool stuff you did on your Mac, push the
administration to support your machine. Give it a little while and
eveything will change.

Bill Cockayne
bill@ntb.apple.com
231841168@vuvaxcom
AppleLink: bill.c

"Again, just my opinions, nothing official at all."

------------------------------

Date: Thu Jun 27 19:03:54 1991
From: neabbs!amichel@nluug.nl
Subject: article

I have something which looks like a serious problem. When I started my
MAC +/- 2 1/2 weeks ago my internal HD refused to start-up, (^(*@*(!!
system 7 I said. And I think I was wrong. But no problem I have a Mass
microsystems/syqest external so I can boot from my back-up (created
with volume image 0.64), wrong again. Booting was ok but doing
anything else as moving the pointer gave me errors I had never seen or
heard of. So I install system 7 again on the back-up, that should at
least give me a bootable and workable MAC, wrong again.

Install hung halfway and goodbye back-up. Installing sys 7 on other
cartridges didnUt help, my MAC just will not boot from RusedS
cartridges it seems )-[

I decided to boot-up from floppy (yes!) to see if the internal drive
icon appears on the desktop under sys 6.0.5. No icon, check with scsi
evaluator, error in reading although the active drive light goes on.
See what scsi probe (the cdev) has to tell, yes your sony (!) drive is
there, but no way it will mount although I asked it very polite :-)

In the meantime I bought Norton to discover it wonUt work with sys 7
and a new cartridge, installed sys 7 on it and it worked !!

Can anyone tell me whats going on here, before I go to my dealer and
chop his head off because he assured me the internal hd was a quantum
?

I think the internal HD has the Rsticky headsS problem, regarding the
other problems I really have no idea.

My system : se30 8/40 (august 1990), Rival MegaGraphics b/w 19S, Mass
Microsystems 45 mb removable, sys 6.0.5. & 7.0.0 US version.

Please send e-mail only, I have no system to read news at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 13:48:42 -0500
From: wall@center.cc.swarthmore.edu
Subject: combined video card, monitor '30 package for SE?

I seem to remember reading a few months ago about a product release of a
bundled 15" portrait monitor, and a combined monitor interface card and '30
accelerator for the SE listing at $995. Silly me, I can't remember the name
of the vendor now that I'm interested in this deal. Can some kind soul help
refresh my memory? Or was I dreaming?

thanks

- Matt Wall / Swarthmore College Computing Center /
wall@campus.swarthmore.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 12:47:44 -0700
From: Bill Cockayne <billc@apple.com>
Subject: FileSharing Startup

	For those of you wonderinf why the hard drive is read for about a
minute after startup, it is because you have FileSharing turned on. This is
not a bug, it is normal. In order for a drive to be shared, the system has
to perform certain functions on the drive whenever it starts up. Hope this
helps some of you.

bill
bill@ntb.apple.com
billc@apple.com
AppleLink: bill.c

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 16:14 EST
From: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu
Subject: Finder could be more helpful

{One of my pet peeves about the finder has survived into system 7.
When an application is already running, but can't open a new file that
you double click on, the finder puts up a message saying that the file
can't be opened "Try opening the documents from withing the application".

The bad part is that clicking OK leaves you in the finder NOT IN THE
APPLICATION.  It would be Much more helpful if the alert had two buttons,
one marked Cancel, and the other marked "Select".  The select button
should activate the application so that you can try opening the documents
>From within the application{q

Chris Eliot

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 16:26:33 PDT
From: burton@cs.sfu.ca
Subject: Font Substitution

It appears that laser fonts in the system folder are ignored when
postscript file are produced under System 7.  I have a MacDraw figure
that uses a font for which I have both the screen font and the system
font.  (The font is Hi-Low, but the problem occurs with another font
that I tried as a double check.  The problem also occurs in a word
processing document.)  When I print the figure directly, everything is
fine.  I get the laser font rather than the lower resolution screen
font.  However, if I produce a postscript file and then print it using
LaserWriter Font Utility, then a font substitution appears to take
place.  Turning off font substitution, both when the postscript file is
produced and when it is printed, doesn't help.

Now for the big surprise.  I also use System 6.0.7 with the System 7
printing installed.  If I produce the postscript file under System
6.0.7, in the same way, but print it under System 7, again using
LaserWriter Font Utility, then everything is fine.

I have tried putting the laser font in both the system folder and in
the extension folder, with the same result.  If I remove the laser font,
then the screen font is used when I print directly but font substitution
appears to occur again when a postscript file is produced.  That is, the
problem occurs when there is not laser font, just a screen font.

Is this a know bug?  Am I doing something wrong?

burton@cs.sfu.ca
Warren Burton

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 12:54 EDT
From: Ashirvad Kakodkar <ASKAKODKAR@vaxsar.vassar.edu>
Subject: Foreign Exchange Trading Simulation

Anyone know of any currency/foreign exchange trading simulation  packages
for the Mac? They  could be  shareware, public domain  or commercial. Any
information on similar simulations for stock or commodities trading would
also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Ashirvad Kakodkar (AsKakodkar@Vassar.edu).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 18:18:34 EDT
From: Greg Mouning <GAM%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Freedom of the Press

Hello, can someone tell me where I can find a copy of the program called
"Freedom of the Press"?  I was told it is a postscript previewer for the
Macintosh.  Has anyone ever heard of this program or know where I can find one
like it in an archive somewhere to test?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and could you please reply directly
since I do not have a chance to keep up with the contents of this service on a
routine basis.

Gregory A. Mouning
BITNET address:   GAM@YALEVM
ARPANET address:  GAM@YALEVM.YCC.YALE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 22:05 PDT
From: "Wherever you go, there you are... 8)" <PJUNG@scuacc.scu.edu>
Subject: FYI & HELPME: DeskWriter, Sys 7.0, Zapf Chancery problem...

Hello netters!

First, to answer Benson Wu's (bmwu@athena.mit.edu) question from Info-Mac
Digest #147, Yes, it is possible to print to the DeskWriter with System 7.0:
The DeskWriter driver (version 2.1, available from the info-mac archives)
goes into the Extensions folder, and after selecting DeskWriter 2.1 in the
Chooser, everything should be fine.

Everything, that is, except for a problem I'm having with the Zapf Chancery
DeskWriter font. Whenever I try to display text with Word 4.0 in Zapf Chancery
in any size between 21 and 30 (except 28, I don't know why) looks like it
is in Helvetica 9 point font. It's even worse when it prints out on my
DeskWriter. THe font comes out in Zapf Chancery, all right, but it's all
scrunched together like it was 9 point text, every letter overlapping every
adjacent one...

What gives? I've replaced the font from the original HP disk, and it still
happens.  Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

Phil Jung
Santa Clara University (now an alum, but I need a job!)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 15:51:52 -0400
From: castlet%gtewd.dnet@gte.com (TIM CASTLE, A.K.A. 'T.C.'")
Subject: GRE Prep software for the Mac

A few weeks back I queried regarding GRE prep software for the Mac. I
received mention of only two, and haven't located any others. One is
>From StudyWare, and is $29 from MacWarehouse. The other is from the
Educational Testing Service itself, the folks who run the GRE. It's
available from ETS, and you can order it from the GRE booklet. Of
course, it's $80. >choke<

     -T. "Guess which I'm buying?" C.
      castlet%gtewd.dnet@gte.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 17:35:37 EDT
From: "GEORGE L. VENABLE" <MNHEN038%SIVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #146

SUPERCLOCK 3.9 works with system 7.0 and the Apple 13" Color monitor, don't
see why it won't work on other monitors.  Try it, it is available through
most BB's, I got it off AOL.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 11:13 CST
From: Robert Front <T121267%TWNCU865.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V9 #148

Are you running a sound cdev that is capable of making sound when the machine is
    idle for a se length of time. Sndcontrol 1.04, for example, can produce such
      an effect.  Just guessing.  --REF

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 11:59 EDT
From: KORVER%UMBSKY.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Japanese Software

The best place to get Japanese software for the Mac is:

   Qualitas Trading Company
   6907 Norfolk Rd.
   Berkeley, CA  94705
   (415) 848-8080

They are very knowledgable and helpful and have plenty of _real_ Japanese
software in addition to American Japanese software such as the KanjiTalk
version of PageMaker.

FYI, if you're just interested in foreign alphabet postscript fonts, you need
look no further than:

   Econological Linguistics
   PO Box 15156
   Washington, DC  20003

They have _everything_ from Mayan Hieroglphyics to Sanskritic.  Just send them
$5 for a catalog of all their fonts.

Brian
korver%umbsky.dnet@ns.umb.edu

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 91 09:53:00 CDT
From: "Dr F J Van Wetering" <fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu>
Subject: Jumping cursor in Word

Yet another problem... My cursor has been acting strange in MS-Word 4.0... as I
am typing, it periodically flashes back a few characters.  The interesting
thing is that the true insert point remains the same... just the visual cursor
position has changed.  The jump is always limited to the same line, and always
backwards a few characters.  The size of the jump varies, however, from only a
few characters in the beginning of the line, to close to 1" worth of characters
at the end of the line.

I am running 7.0 on an SE/30 w/ 5M RAM, (virtual 8M).  Is this a bug? a
feature?  Related to my previous inquiry about the occasional beep?

Thanks in advance,
F. J.  Van Wetering    FJVANWET@UNOMA1    FJVANWET@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 16:35 CST
From: Dan Lunderville <ACS_DANL@marvin.acc.uwrf.edu>
Subject: Mac <--> IBM file transfer and conversion

Our campus is starting to see a strong interest in the Macintosh as the
microcomputer of choice.  One of the results of this is a corresponding
increase in requests for file transfer and conversion between the IBM PC
and the Macintosh.  For example, someone buys a Macintosh and wants to
convert their word processing files from IBM Word Perfect 5.1 to Mac
Word 4.0.

I have been using and recommending MacLink Plus by DataViz for a while now,
and it has seemed to be adequate for typical, small documents (I am currently
using version 5.01).  Recently I have tried to convert several larger (45
pages) and more complex documents.  The resulting Mac Word 4.0 document needs
very careful proofing and a fair bit of formatting work to get it back to what
the original was.  Even a straight text transfer and conversion could not be
trusted, with the same careful proofing required.

Recent reviews in MacUser and MacWorld have described two new file transfer
and conversion products, Software Bridge for the Macintosh by Systems
Compatibility and Word for Word/Mac by Software Toolworks.  The reviews
indicated that both these programs were much more accurate in file conversion
than MacLink Plus.

I would like to get comments and observations by users of MacLink Plus,
Software Bridge, Word for Word/Mac, or any other file transfer and conversion
utilities.  I am interested in your results, accuracy of conversions, ease
of use, speed of conversions, etc.  Anything that you have discovered would
be useful.

I will summarize for the net if there is sufficient response and interest.

Thanks for your help.

Dan Lunderville

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 91 12:18:53
From: Thierry Jurand <Thierry_Jurand.BART@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
Subject: MacTCP Driver

                       Subject:                               Time:12:19 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          MacTCP Driver                          Date:6/27/91
Hi netters,

Since when I downloaded NCSA Telent, MacTCP did not come with it, I inquired
about it from NCSA itself, The answer was that "MacTCP is a commercial product
#165# what is the latest version currently available ?
#165# how is it possible to get it ?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Thierry Jurand
jurand@ece.drexel.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 11:19:16 PDT
From: dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Mac vs. IBM

> This might be a really stupid question, so forgive me in advance if it
> is.

Questions aren't stupid.  Only willful ignorance is stupid.  Keep asking
questions!

>     I heard someone say today that Mac systems are more susceptible to
> viruses contracted from diskettes than are IBM systems, "... because
> every formatted Mac diskette is, in effect 'executed' when it is mounted
> -- there is executable code that is run as part of the mounting
> procedure." [His words]

Well, yes and no.  The normal process of mounting a disk does execute
some Mac operating-system code, of course, when the disk "signature" is
recognized and the volume information is read into memory.  The Finder
executes some additional code of its own, to open the Desktop file
(which contains the icons for the applications and documents on the
disk).  Code from the disk is _not_ executed during this process.

There are a couple of Macintosh viruses which propagate themselves by
storing code resources in the Desktop file.  Because the Finder has
opened this file to access the disk's icons, it's in the resource-file
chain.  If the Finder opens a window to display the disk's contents, the
Mac operating system will attempt to load a code resource which is
responsible for drawing the window.  Normally, this code resource is
loaded from the System file or the ROM... but if there's a virus
resource of the proper type and ID-number in the Desktop file, it will
be loaded instead.

The WDEF virus spreads via this mechanism.  It's extremely infectious
under System 6 on older models of Macintosh... I've heard it described
as the second-most-commonly-seen Mac virus (after nVIR).  It does not
spread at all under System 7 (the new Finder appears to be immune to
Desktop-file viruses), and will not spread on newer models of Mac (IIci
and later...  it crashes them, instead).

There are several very effective freeware counteragents to the WDEF
virus and similar Desktop-file lurkers... the Disinfectant INIT,
Gatekeeper Aid, and Eradicat'Em will all identify and either inactivate
or delete the viral resource on contact.  Most of the commercial
antivirals of recent vintage are also effective in blocking WDEF and
similar beasties.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 23:13 EDT
From: MSTOODT%SEMASSU.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: MaxAppleZoom

There have been a lot of messages on different networks / mailing
lists about MaxAppleZoom no longer working as of earlier this week.
According to people on CompuServe, the situation is that there is
either a bug or an unannounced drop-dead date in the program (no
conclusive evidence either way has been found yet;  no one who has
attacked the code with a disassembler has found rom calls to get the
time or references to time-related low memory globals).  The failure
date varies with the version of MaxAppleZoom;  version 1.2 stopped
working in May, while a version called 1.31 appears to work until
December (the version that most people have, which just broke, is
1.3).  It varies with what slot your video board is in; slot 1 stopped
working on 6/22/91 at 13:24:16, slot 2 has a deadline twelve days,
three hours, and some odd minutes (2 to the 20th power seconds) later,
slot 3 will fail 2^20 seconds after 2, etc.  (One person wondered
where he could find a 150-slot mac...)  One can work around this
problem by setting the clock to a time back a year or so before MAZ
loads, then fixing it after (at least one person has written inits to
do this);  but that's *really* kludgey. The author has apparently not
cashed any shareware checks in the last six months or so, and has not
been heard from yet;  those users who paid the shareware fee and whose
checks were processed are still experiencing failures, they did not
receive a different version.

This was the state as of this morning (Thursday);  I'll post more
information as it become available...

Michael A. Stoodt                                     mstoodt@semassu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 27 JUN 91 09:26:37 CDT
From: WILLIAM VILBERG <VILBERG%USMCP6.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MS Word "Extras"

Gary Sager asked if there was a 'diffmk' utility for MS Word. I
have encountered a number of people with Word that have not
installed the "extras" that are provided. DocuComp does a nice
job of comparing two versions and showing differences. I have
only had need for it on a few occasions, but it worked as
described.
Word Finder is (was?) also included free with Word 4.0 and is a
functional thesaurus. I have had people ask me what thesaurus
program to buy when they had Word 4.0 and did not realize that it
was already included. Maybe it is that they are on separate disks
and have separate manuals?

WILLIAM VILBERG <VILBERG@USMCP6.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 91 15:17:00 EST
From: "MICHAEL R. ROMAN" <mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu>
Subject: OzTeX pk files

I've managed to FTP and unBinHex OzTeX, OzTeX formats, and OzTeX inputs, but
try as I might, I cannot unStuff any of the pk files. I'm using Stuffit
Classic (1.6). If I use Command-O to open an archive, Stuffit Classic doesn't
see any of the pk files. If I use Option-Command-O, it sees all my files, but
can't unstuff anything. Can anyone help me?

Mike Roman, mikero@lns61.tn.cornell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 10:08:21 EDT
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Question about assembling one's own MacII

Several months (maybe a year or two) ago, someone posted a message to this
net about how he had put together a (relatively) los-cost Mac II by buying
a bare-bones CPU from Apple and then getting the "lowest bidder" to supply
a hard disk, memory, keyboard, display, etc., etc.  I thought I had saved
his final recommendations, but I can't find them now.

I would be happy to hear from people who have done this.  How have such
systems worked out?  What equipment have people had good experiences with?
I already have a favorite memory vendor (The Chip Merchant) and I like
the Club Mac hard drive on my SE, but I'm particularly mystified about
monitors, their associated cards, and keyboards.

Whoever you are who posted the original system, if you're reading, how did
it work out?  Any problems due to vendor finger-pointing?  Does it run OK
with System 7?

				-Bill Williams
				 St. Mary's College of Maryland

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 91 01:15:23 EDT
From: Flash Sheridan <72540.1731@compuserve.com>
Subject: re SuperClock & System 7 (background chimes)

Murph Sewall> I assume that SuperClock could be fixed so that the chime can
sound without
> bringing everything else to a halt for the duration.
Use SoundMaster for chimes instead.  (Use SpeedBeep if you want regular beeps
in the background.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 12:15:42 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.bitnet@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: SCSI conflicts

I am trying to daisy-chain 2 Quantum 100 meg HDs to a 2.5 meg Mac+. If they are
both turned on at startup, the Mac fails to boot and makes a loud cracking
sound with lines on the screen. I can boot with one (SCSI 0) on, load a SCSI
utility and boot the second one (SCSI 1). However, I do not want to do this
all the time. Also, I backed up the SCSI 0 onto SCSI 1, but Norton found all
sorts of directory problems. I reinitialized SCSI 1, but have not finished
backing up to retest. I have similar problems with other HDs, I switched Mac+s,
I switched cables. Any other suggestions? I would like both HDs to boot.
Oh, yes I have used a terminator.   Thanks--Pete

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 07:38:34 -0700
From: "Donald R. Proctor   (415/987-0356)" <spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu>
Subject: SLIP and NCSA Telnet

 > I've heard that NCSA Telnet v2.3 supports a SLIP connection if you
 > specify hardware=slip9600 in your config.tel file.  Has anybody had
 > success using this over a dialup line?

Thanks to those of you who responded to my inquiry about starting a
telnet session over SLIP.  I was able to do this with the modified
version of NCSA Telnet I downloaded from ftp.cisco.com.

Next on my wish list: a version of MacTCP that supports SLIP, so that I
can use applications like HyperFTP and tn3270 over dialup lines.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 11:50:13 CDT
From: A_WILLISGT@ccsvax.sfasu.edu (TY WILLIS)
Subject: Sub Battle Simulators for the Mac

Okay, it's a silly question...

What's your favorite sub battle simulator for the Mac?

Cast your vote today! I'll summarize for the net...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 10:55:08 edt
From: "Phil Shapiro" <phils@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: symantec applelink address

Robert wrote:
    Does anyone have an e-mail (applelink) address for Symantec.  I've
    called customer support about 4 times, and each time I've been put
    on hold for >30 min. at which time I just gave up.

If you have questions about Symantec's language products (including
THINK C, THINK Pascal, Just Enough Pascal, and the THINK Reference),
then you can mail them to "D0152@AppleLink.apple.com".  I don't know
what the AppleLink address is for Symantec's other Mac products.

    Or better yet, does anyone know if they have plans of upgrading
    Think Reference to contain System 7 information and if they have
    educational pricing?

We haven't made any announcements about future releases of the THINK
References, or what any such release may include.  The THINK Reference
is a product that we plan to continue to support in the future,
however.  For information about educational pricing of any Symantec
product, you should contact our educational distributor, Edutech.
Their number is: +1 408 408 372 8100.

	-phil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 15:31:51 -0700
From: "Donald R. Proctor   (415/987-0356)" <spgdrp@ganges.ucop.edu>
Subject: Word Finder & System 7

> If you have not noticed Word Finder that came with MS Word 4.0 does not
> work with Word and System 7.  It is not aware you are executing it with
> MS Word and gives an error msg.  You can fix this by using ResEdit to
> copy all of the Resources from Word Finder and pasting them into your
> copy of Word.  Once this is done you remove Word Finder from you
> System Folder/Control Panel folder.  Word Finder will only show-up under
> the Apple when Word is executing in the > forground.  This works for me
> and I have not seen any problems with it.
>
> Don't blame me if you thrash your only copy of Word doing this!
> (i.e. Use a copy!)
>
> dlc@arco.com (Dane Cantwell)
> ARCO Oil and Gas Company

You can also use Font/DA mover to install Word Finder directly into
your copy of Word.  To do this, just hold down the option key while
clicking on the Open button in Font/DA Mover--all of your files will
then become valid targets.

Don

End of Info-Mac Digest