info-mac-request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/29/91)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 28 Jun 91       Volume 9 : Issue 150

Today's Topics:

      [*] Chime 4.0.1
      [*] Print2Pict 1.3
      [*] Pseudo GL viewer for the Mac using HyperCard
      [*] PSIWP 1.6
      [*] SCSI Info CDEV 1.0
      [*] StripFonts
      [*] Unshar v.1.5 by Sak Wathanasin
      A/D boards for SE's
      AppleShare file locking
      Balloon Help
      Chinese word processing programs
      Connecting the Mac to Ethernet
      Fortran for the Mac --- the answers
      HP Printing Woes
      Looking for password protection at system level
      MPW C++ Problem
      MS Word Slow under 7.0??
      MS Word TrueType Printer INIT
      PostScript print files under 7.0
      Printing
      Publishing Serial Ports
      re Font Monger problem? (lose 128 to 141 Dingbats)
      Rodime with VM
      Technical Notes

The Info-Mac newsgroup is moderated by Bill Lipa and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files and indices are in /info-mac/help.

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 19:37:10 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] Chime 4.0.1

Chime 4.0.1 is an asynchronous sound playing time reminder utility.
This new version takes full advantage of the new sound capabilities
of System 6.0.7 and 7.0.

Shareware.

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/chime-401.hqx; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 17:59:30 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] Print2Pict 1.3

Print2Pict is a Chooser document that puts the printed pages in
the clipboard or in PICT files.

Drop it in your System Folder, select it with the Chooser, then
just print anything.

Baudouin Raoult.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/print-2-pict-13.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 20:00:34 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] Pseudo GL viewer for the Mac using HyperCard

I'm just posting this (so don't email me, try the guy below)
 ------
This is a HyperCard stack that lets you animate pict files comprised
of individual cells.  It is based on the picture XCMD and therefor
requires v2.0 or higher.  This is a very basic hack so use with caution.
Please mail me any comments or questions.

|  David C. Spiegelman (david@world.std.com)

[Archived as /info-mac/card/animate-pict.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 20:03:52 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] PSIWP 1.6

The PSI White Pages project is an ongoing project to provide the
electronic equivalent of a telephone book White Pages, using X.500
technology.  There are currently 77 organizations, with approximately
200 000 entries available in the PSI White Pages.

PSIWP is a front end to the White Pages, allowing searching of the
databases from a Macintosh.  For example, it is possible to issue the
following search

	levinn,psi,us

('Find ...' option in the 'WhitePages' pull down menu)

System requirements for using PSIWP are: Macintosh (MAC-II recommended)
with 1MB of memory, Finder 6.x (Finder 7.0 WILL NOT WORK), and MacTCP.
Connectivity to the U.S.  TCP/IP Internet is also required (PSIWP needs
to establish a TCP connection to a White Pages server).

	Copyright 1991 Performance Systems International Inc.

PSIWP is shareware.  If you find it useful/interesting and would like
to register as a user, please consult 'Shareware Information' within
the application for registration information.

--
Wengyik Yeong
White Page Project Manager

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/psi-white-pages-16.hqx; 96K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 20:23:34 PDT
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] SCSI Info CDEV 1.0

SCSI Info provides a comprehensive table of info about each SCSI
device. Can scan, reset, and mount SCSI devices.

[Archived as /info-mac/cp/scsi-info.hqx; 54K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 91 03:02:44 GMT
From: elliott@cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott)
Subject: [*] StripFonts

What is StripFonts?
 -----------------

StripFonts is a program designed to be useful to a very specific set
of people: those who frequently print documents by creating a
PostScript file on the Mac, transferring that file to a UNIX machine,
and sending it to a PostScript-compatible printer which is networked
to the UNIX machine. In particular, it is aimed at people who use
Adobe Type Manger, or who frequently use non-standard PostScript
typefaces; in other words, people who have PostScript outline fonts in
their system folders. It is also helpful to people using System 7, who
no longer have the option of omitting the Apple ProcSet from their
PostScript files.

The presence of outline fonts in the system folder causes the printer
driver to include a copy of the PostScript font definition of each
font used in the document. This is because there is no way for the
printer driver to know in advance which fonts will be available on the
particular printer that you end up using (different printers have
different sets of fonts built in, or on disk). When the printer is
connected to the Macintosh itself, this is not a problem, since the
Mac can ask the printer at the time of printing. However, this
interaction is not possible when the printing will be performed at a
later time from a different machine.

The font descriptions can increase the size of the PostScript file to
a startling degree, making the file-transfer process quite unwieldy.
This is where StripFonts comes into play. The StripFonts package
allows you remove the font definitions from a PostScript file before
sending it to the UNIX machine. It can learn which fonts are built in
to the printer that you will be using, and remove them "permanently"
>From the file, which will speed up printing time as well. StripFonts
will also let you keep copies of non-built-in typefaces in a directory
under UNIX, and omit those font definitions during the transfer
between the Mac and the UNIX machine, saving greatly on transfer time.
They need to be re-inserted into the file before it can be printed, or
the printer will not be able to use the typefaces; the UNIX side of
StripFonts does this. A similar trick can be used to temporarily
remove the ProcSet which teaches the printer the "shorthand" that the
Mac's LaserWriter driver uses.

The current version of StripFonts can tell the difference between
PostScript and TrueType fonts, and has no problem keeping both
versions of a font, even if they have the same name. It also has an
"others" category for font types that it does not recognize; for
example, Macintosh bitmap fonts for which no outlines exist.

In my experience with using StripFonts, the time saved in uploading is
considerable. Typical documents (before stripping) for me are about
600K; after stripping they are cut down to about 40K. After adding the
support for multiple font types and ProcSet removal, I created a test
document using an Adobe PostScript font and a bitmap font. It was 300K
bytes long. Stripping out the fonts and the ProcSet cut it down to 2K!
The UNIX end reconstituted and printed it just fine.

Note that if you use TrueType fonts in a document the TrueType
rendering engine needs to be included so that the PostScript printer
knows how to deal with the fonts. This is pretty big, on the order of
100K all by itself. I don't see any easy way for StripFonts to remove
it, either, since there are no comments bracketing it to identify it
or provide a version number. I can't really trust the code itself to
remain static enough to blindly edit it out. Apple, you could help us
out here by making this code easier to locate.

Instructions
 ----------
StripFonts comes in two parts, a Macintosh side, for which I supply a
standalone application, and a UNIX side, which is presently
implemented in C-shell scripts and Emacs LISP, to be interpreted by
the Free Software Foundation's GNU-Emacs editor. (Yes, I'm a little
schizophrenic to like both Macs and the F.S.F. but what can you do?)
If you don't have access to GNU-Emacs and don't want to try finding
and installing it, you could try lighting a fire under me (or someone
else) to write a more portable C version of the Unix side of
StripFonts. I will likely do it very soon if nobody else does, but
please let me know if you write one, so that I can include it in
future distributions!

The Mac application is called "StripFonts" and should be prominently
present in this archive. Directions on how to use it are in the file
"Mac help" until I manage to track down (or write) a nice
public-domain help interface which uses the Think Class Library, and
get a version of Think C that supports Balloon Help.

The UNIX portions are in a shar archive that was posted separately;
this archive has its own Readme file.

Distribution
 ----------

StripFonts is free, and is distributed under John Rotenstein's
wonderful HappiWare licensing scheme: If you like it, remember to
smile! I would appreciate feedback about who is using the program,
stating what you like, and what you would like to see, but I can
obviously not promise to implement every suggested improvement since
I'm supposed to be working on my degree instead of this kind of
project.

If you really find the program useful, please send me a picture
postcard of your home town. If you're rich and want to help foster
future development by this impoverished student I wouldn't turn down
money either, but it should be clear that you are not expected (let
alone obligated) to pay for using this program.

Although it is free, it is not in the public domain in the following
sense: I retain the copyright on the package and set the terms under
which distribution may occur. Those terms are: You may freely
distribute copies of StripFonts as long as you do so in unmodified
form, and include all files and documentation which are present in
this archive. You may not charge for copies of StripFonts. User groups
and similar organizations may include StripFonts on disks of collected
software, as long as they do not charge more than $10 for the disks.
Bulletin boards, archives and anonymous FTP sites may freely offer
StripFonts. Portions of the code are Copyright (c) 1989 Symantec
Corporation; this does not adversely affect the above-outlined
distribution terms because of the reasonable nature of their licensing
agreement.

I can be reached as elliott@cs.wisc.edu or,

	James Elliott
	746 W. Main St. #302
	Madison, WI 53715

Trademarks.
 ----------
UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories. PostScript and Adobe
Type Manager are trademarks of Adobe Systems, Inc.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/strip-fonts.hqx; 169K
             /info-mac/unix/strip-fonts.shar; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 91 13:19:00 EDT
From: "William Johnston" <johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu>
Subject: [*] Unshar v.1.5 by Sak Wathanasin

Second try:  This is Unshar v.1.5 by Sak Wathanasin.  It should
replace /info-mac/util/unshar-2.hqx, which is actually unshar v.1.2
by Sak Wathanasin despite its "unshar-2.hqx" name in the archives.

Unshar is based on an MPW tool posted by Amanda Walker; it was converted
into a stand-alone application using Paul Dubois' Transkel package.

Unshar is a Macintosh utility program for extracting files from
Un*x SHell ARchives.  It has been tested with the ".shar" archives
in the sumex /info-mac/unix directory.  This version recognizes more
types of ".shar" archives than did version 1.2.

Sak Wathanasin can reached by e-mail:

    uucp:   ...!ukc!nan!sw
    other:  sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk

This version of unshar is posted at the request of the author.

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/unshar-15.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 15:20 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: A/D boards for SE's

Greeting,

The Psychology Dept. here is looking for recommendations for A/D and timing
boards for Mac SE's. Things like the MacAdios system, and the like. They want
to use their Macs for real time data acquisition and millisecond
timing/control.

Send replies directly to me and I'll summarize.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Jorgensen - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 13:49:23 CDT
From: George Sanderson - McDonnell Douglas MCAIR IT  <gws@ittc2.mdc.com>
Subject: AppleShare file locking

Can anyone confirm that AppleTalk does not have a file-lock request?

Likewise, does not MacOS only maintain file lock data in the resource
fork of a file?

George Sanderson - MCAIR IT Base Tools Telecom

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 15:37:47 EDT
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Balloon Help

   Hopefully this is a quick question:  I now have the ability (from an XFCN)
to show balloons in HyperCard that relate to buttons and fields.  What I
would now like to do is show balloons for the menu items that I create.
What type of resource do I need to create in order for the Help Manager
to show balloons for menu items in HyperCard?  Please reply to me and I
will summarize.  Thanks.

Bret Ingerman              SYracuse University       ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 12:35:55 -0500
From: wilson%GBURG.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Chinese word processing programs

I have a history professor who is just acquiring a Mac si and has asked
about the availability of a chinese word processing package.  Any
suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 19:53 SST
From: BLIAN%NUSDISCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Connecting the Mac to Ethernet

Hi,

I need some advice/recommendations on how I can connect both my Mac and a UNIX
workstation to Ethernet.  Here is the situation:

        (1) one utp socket in my room;

        (2) a Mac II + an Adaptec Nodem (SCSI/Ethernet box) with utp connector;

        (3) a MIPS Magnum 3000/33 workstation with an MAU transceiver;

        (4) an HP LaserJet III with PostScript cartridge and Appletalk
            interface.

I need to have both the Mac and the Magnum connected to the network.
Unfortunately, the socket port is on a point-to-point connection to the local
hub, which means that I can't daisy-chain the machines off the port.  I also
want to share the LaserJet between the two machines.  It looks like there are
three options:

        (a) the Cayman GatorBox + GatorPrint + GatorShare

        (b) the Asante 10T Hub

        (c) something from Shiva, but I don't know what they have.

The second option looks rather iffy---how do I share the printer? and is there
anything like GatorShare to provide NFS filesharing?  But the first option
costs many $$$.  I need for info for the third.

Has anyone had to deal with this problem before?  Please email me if you can
offer any advice or suggestions.

Thanking you,

Ben Lian  [ blian@nusdiscs.bitnet ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 16:48:21 +0100
From: LJOB1%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Fortran for the Mac --- the answers

The response to my query about Fortran for the Mac was slightly
overwhelming. First of all, my best thanks to:
"Charles C. Allen" (cca@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu)
"Peter D.M. Macdonald" (PDMMAC@MCMASTER)
"Georg Denk" (Georg.Denk@MATHEMATIK.TU-MUENCHEN.DBP.DE)
"Tom Coradeschi" (tcora@PICA.ARMY.MIL)
"Clay P Booker" (cxb@beta.lanl.gov)
"ROBERT A. FUSINA" (fusina@ccf2.nrl.navy.mil)
"Ken Schwartzman" (SCHWARTZ@IUP.BITNET)
"Bill Cockayne" (bill@ntb.apple.com,
               billc@apple.com,
               bill.c@applelink.apple.com)
"Ed Wright" (PRBRIG01@ulkyvx.bitnet)
"John E. Finn SAR" (finn@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov)
"Andrew I. Mel'cuk" (amelcuk@dirac.clarku.edu)
"J. SCOTT WEAVER" (fweaver@bigvax.alfred.edu)
"Stan Kerr" (stankerr@uiuc.edu)
"Harlan Russell" (harlan@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu)
"Mona" (M1Y@ORNLSTC)
and all others who may reply after completion of this summary. Now for
the info.

Basically, there are two compilers. The first is MacFortran by Absoft,
which comes in three versions: one (just called "MacFortran") for
68000 machines, another ("MacFortran/020") that can take advantage of
the 68020/30 and numerical coprocessor, and a third one ("MacFortran II")
which runs under MPW. The coordinates of Absoft are:
     2781 Bond Street
     Rochester Hills, MI  48309
     (313) 853-0095 (two respondents), (313) 853-0050 (a third one)
Prices are $375 ($495 list) for MacFortran, $445 ($600 list) for
MacFortran II without MPW, and $525 ($695 list) with MPW. Old versions
of MacFortran get very bad comments (my own experience with MacFortran
2.2 was that object code and results depended on the number, content,
and position of comment lines in the program! So I put it in the trash
where it belonged) but recent versions seem to have improved quite
substantially. It appears to generate the fastest code. MacFortran II
is supposed to be VAX-compatible (though no-one tried it), but MacFortran
definitely isn't. Reaction to MacFortran II was mixed, some respondents
liked it, others didn't at all --- the main complaint was about robustness.
MacFortran II compiles slower than MacFortran/020, but reportedly has
better optimization --- numerical code runs about 1.5 times faster.
Console I/O support for the non-MPW version is limited to a 'glass
teletype' without editing, scrolling, copy/paste, or saving options.

The other one is Language Systems Fortran. That one got very good marks
throughout. There is only and MPW version that does support the 68020/30
and 68881/2 extensions. It is reportedly almost totally VAX-compatible,
including support for all VAX Fortran extensions. At least one of the
respondents used it for developing VAX programs. Among the other bonuses
listed are support for extended precision (80 bits, full 68881/2 precision)
and a good standard I/O interface (allowing for editing, copying, pasting,
and saving of input and output).
Coordinates are:
 Language Systems Corporation,
 441 Carlisle Drive
 Herndon, VA 22070,
 Voice: (703) 478-0181.
 FAX: (703) 689-9593.
List prices are  $300 without, and $495 with MPW 3.1 (compatible with
System 7.0, I'm told); educational price including MPW is $375. Several
said to be extremely robust, but to compile slower and to generate slower
(20 %) code than Absoft. The latter, however, is supposed to be fixed by
a free upgrade due in August. Currently, the code is not globally
optimized. NAG (Numerical Algorithms Group) and IMSL, Inc. are using
LS Fortran for porting to the Mac of their numerical/scientific subroutine
libraries.

Summarizing, the one to go for is clearly Language Systems.

Take care,

Jan M.L. Martin --- LJOB1@BDILUC01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 11:31 CDT
From: "Thomas L. Hausmann" <HAUSMANN@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: HP Printing Woes

We have a (hopefully) small problem with an HP LaserJet III w/postscript card .

Diagrams produced with TypeAlign and the Apple from, say, the Helvetica font do
not print.

Running System 6.0.5, MacIIx, Finder 6.1.5, LaserJet Driver 1.0.1, Laser Prep
6.0, ATM 2.0

-Tom

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 12:56 EST
From: DRAPHAELY@vax.clarku.edu
Subject: Looking for password protection at system level

A friend of mine is concerned about the fact that someone uses her computer
- and more particularly, accesses her hard disk - over the weekends and after
hours at the large corporation where she works. She has tried removing her
keyboard, but whoever is doing this clearly comes well prepared!
Is there any shareware encryption that will demand a password on bootup?

-Den Raphaely

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 12:58:08 -0500
From: rarupani@drl.mobil.com (Raj Rupani)
Subject: MPW C++ Problem

	We are using MPW C++ V3.1 with MPW V3.1 to develop a very large
scientific application.  While tracking down a recent bug apparently
caused by memory movement, we began looking at the C code generated by
CFront.
	Directly below is a contrived example of C++ code.  The notable
portions of it are that a class based on HandleObject contains objects
which also have constructors.  The C code generated for the constructor
of the handle-based class does not lock the handle before passing pointers
to its members' constructors.  Here is the C++ code:

#include <String.h>
struct Stuff {
	Stuff(void);
	long data[100];
};

class StuffUser : HandleObject {
	public:
		StuffUser(void);
	private:
		Stuff	my_stuff;
		int	x;
};

Stuff::Stuff(void) {
	memset(this->data, 0, sizeof(this->data));
}

StuffUser::StuffUser(void) {
	this->x = 0;
}

	After reformatting the C code generated by CFront,
the constructors look like this:

struct Stuff *__ct__5StuffFv(register struct Stuff *this) {
	if (this || (this = (struct Stuff *) __nw__FUi(sizeof(struct Stuff))))
		memset((void *)this->data, (int)0, sizeof this->data);
	return this;
}

struct StuffUser **__ct__9StuffUserFv(struct StuffUser **this)
{
	if (this || (this = (struct StuffUser **)
			__nw__12HandleObjectSFUi(sizeof(struct StuffUser)))) {
		__ct__5StuffFv(&(*this)->my_stuff);
		(*this)->x = 0;
	}
	return this;
}

	The constructor call I question is the call to
__ct__5StuffFv(&(*this)->my_stuff). You'll note that the address of
my_stuff is passed and the owning StuffUser ** is unlocked.  Couldn't this
cause severe memory problems if memory moved; like if Stuff::Stuff() was
contained in another unloaded segment and memory had to be purged and
compacted to load it?  Has anyone else noticed this? Was this Apple's intent?
Am I missing something here?  Is there a workaround?  What's the deal?

P.S.	Apple specifically warns you not to pass addresses of members of
		HandleObjects.	(Pg. 40, MPW C++ Reference)

Thank you very much,

Raj Rupani (rarupani@drl.mobil.com);

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 16:56:46 EDT
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: MS Word Slow under 7.0??

I've just put up System 7.0, and it appears to me that MS Word runs quite a
bit slower than under previous systems when doing a page preview, and
possibly when printing.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is it a known
problem (known by Microsoft, that is), and is there a workaround?  If I
don't get a solution from the net I'll call Microsoft and post their
response.

						-W2

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 14:59:20 -0400
From: rac2z@bart.acpub.duke.edu (Robert Charles)
Subject: MS Word TrueType Printer INIT

Does anyone know of an FTP site where I can get the MS Word TrueType Printer
INIT?  This supposedly fixes line-feed, scrolling, and wrapping problems
that occur when using TrueType fonts in Word 4.0 and either the PLW LS or
the Stylewriter.

-Thanks
-Robert (rac2z@hercules.acpub.duke.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 10:44 EDT
From: SEBSTEIN@ruby.tufts.edu
Subject: PostScript print files under 7.0

I have experienced the same problem Mike Fridberg noted in
Infomacv9-146 when using the LaserWriter 7.0 driver to print
to a file:

>  And my third and last question: why when I generate a postscript file under
>sys 6.0.7 for relatively simple drawing I get about 160 kb size with Laserprep
>and when I do the same under Sys 7 I got about 550 kb?

I assume this is due to TrueType including its scalable fonts.  Does
anyone have any wisdom regarding how to retain TrueType but keep these
files small ?

BTW - my workaround is that I put the old version of the LaserWriter
driver and LaserPrep in the System Folder with an alias of the driver
in the Extensions folder.  I can then select the old version from the
Chooser and print PostScript to a file with Command-F.

Steve Ebstein (sebstein@pearl.tufts.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1991 11:35 CDT
From: "Daniel J. Power, Management Dept. Head" <POWER@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: Printing

Dear netters --

I have a technical problem.  Recently I bought an Apple Laserwriter NT.  I now
want to attach it to a Mac IIcx that is connected to an ethernet backbone.
This printer would replace an HP Laserjet III that is currently attached to the
Mac IIcx.  I assumed that such a switch would be easy.  If a connect the NT
using local talk, I can not remain attached to my Novell server and still
print to the NT.  I can do this with the Laserjet which is attached through the
modem port and comes with its own printer driver.

Many people have offered advice: etherprint,internet router, fastpath.  I can't
find a driver so that the NT can be connected using the modem port.  I can't
believe that this is such a hassle.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated and I'll summarize for the net.

-- Daniel Power

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 09:54:14 -0700
From: Jon Pugh <jpugh@apple.com>
Subject: Publishing Serial Ports

VersaTerm includes a server program which allows you to route any connection
tool to any other connection tool, with the addition of being able to support
multiple connections, if the tool does.  For example, I used it to talk ADSP
>From one Mac to another where it was routed to a serial driver tool which
spoke out a modem board.  It is trivial to speak to one of the serial ports
instead using Apple's Serial tool or VersaTerm's Driver tool. VersaTerm also
comes with a Telnet tool so that you can have multiple people routing through
ADSP and going out as Telnet sessions on an Ethernet card.  Pretty cool.

VersaTerm is available everywhere for under $100 and is easily the BEST VT100
terminal emulator for the Macintosh. It also includes FTP client and server
programs, so that your Mac can be an internet host.  I love it.

Jon "Another satisfied customer" Pugh

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 91 01:15:16 EDT
From: Flash Sheridan <72540.1731@compuserve.com>
Subject: re Font Monger problem? (lose 128 to 141 Dingbats)

jordi@sc2a.unige.ch> I lose the characters 128 to 141 (ASCII) in converting
ZapfDingbats.
FontMonger has problems accessing characters 0-32 (fixed in the upcoming
version 1.04).  Never heard of problems with other characters, though.  An
updater from 1.01 to 1.03 is on America OnLine.  It fixes some (not all)
saving bugs I found doing font editing.  I've never encountered any bugs in
simply converting.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 10:50:08 CDT
From: Peter Gerhardstein <gerhard@sunserver.psych.umn.edu>
Subject: Rodime with VM

Hello,

Sorry to ask again, but my mail archive stack just decided to leave
for parts unknown.  I want to use VM on a Mac IIx with a Rodime HD.
What is the address I write to/phone # I call to get the new drivers?

Thanks, and sorry for the bother.
Peter Gerhardstein

Peter Gerhardstein --> sunserver.psych.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 91 13:40:35 EDT
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Technical Notes

Did I miss something somewhere, or am I just doing the wrong thing:  I can't
seem to find any technical notes (and no index) after Feb. 1990.  Is Apple
no longer making technical notes available via FTP, or is Sumex-Aim no
longer updating their files, or is there some new system altogether that
I didn't hear about or completely spaced out upon?

Assuming for the moment that technical notes are unavailable, can someone
direct me to the best archive of System 7.0 information?  I just installed
it, it works fine, but I have zillions of questions, of which 99% have
undoubtedly already been asked, answered, annotated, rehashed, and corrected
on this very network.  So, where should I look?

			Thanks in advance,

				Bill Williams

------------------------------

Date: 06/28/91 12:48:42 EDT
From: LC6@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

I found a several-year-old ad for "MacSchematic", a set of EE symbols for
MacDraw, etc., from Thinking Tools in Baltimore.  They seem to be out of
business.  Does anyone have a current phone number for them, or an
alternative suggestion for fairly cheap EE symbols for drawing schematics?
Many thankx in advance.

Larry Chace, Cornell Information Technologies

End of Info-Mac Digest