Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU.UUCP (05/08/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Thursday, 7 May 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 33

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:
			    HDLC Interface
			  DOS 3.30 Tech Ref
			   DIAL.SRC Updated
			     SCriptWriter
		      Slow Down the Zenith Z-248
			     AT Slow-Down
			     IMS 286 Box
	      Word Perfect TOPSprint and the LaserWriter
			  Desktop Publishing
	    Z-248 Memory above 1Meg won't work with VCache
		 Carousel uses Zenith RAM above 1 Meg
	    IBM Token Ring and Novell ACS Problem, Part II
	      1.2 MB Floppy Diskette for XT Compatibles
			 Cross-ASM for 68000
			     CompareRite
			      PC Network
	  HGC-VIEW.ARC File Dump for Hercules Graphics Card
			  EGA Screen Blanker
			   Turbo Basic Bug
		   Mac II vs PS/2 Prices (4 Msgs.)
			    PS Color Modes
		      ANSI Escape Sequences Info
		  MS-DOS COM Device Driver ASYNC.CAT
	     PS2 Monitor Interlaced and Single-Frequency
			   Re: CHECK wanted
		       AsEasyAs Cheap 123 Clone
	    Word 3.1 Supplementary Laserwriter Setup File
		      IBM's PC TCP/IP (2 Msgs.)

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 87 19:17:47 pdt
From: ucbcad!ames!styx!lll-lcc.arpa!well!nortond@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: HDLC Interface

At the board level, HDLC and SDLC are almost identical.  The changes
start to occur at the higher levels.  The only difference that I can
think of offhand is that HDLC uses a CCITT CRC polynomial and SDLC
(maybe) uses a CRC-16 polynomial.  In any case, IdeAssociates makes a
board which supports both (as well as Bi-Sync, DMA, NRZ, NRZI, Async).
-
Daniel A. Norton			...{lll-lcc,ptsfa,hplabs}!well!nortond

------------------------------

Subject: DOS 3.30 Tech Ref
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 00:51:46 EDT
From: Mark Colan <mtc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

I just received, in the mail, an update to my DOS 3.10 Technical Reference
Manual.  I recall that IBM announced that they would mail a free update
to all registered owners of the old Tech Ref - but I never expected it so
soon!  If you haven't mailed your card, it may not be too late.

The update takes the form of a complete manual (not replacement pages),
a quick technical reference card, and (!) disks.  I'll describe each below.

The update includes a complete copy of the DOS 3.30 Technical Reference,
although without the binder/box.  As in the 3.10 Tech Ref, they list the
applicable DOS releases that certain features apply to.  I am not intimately
familiar with the older Tech Ref, so the comparison that follows is mostly a
"diff" on the table of contents.  Most of the chapters are the same, except
as noted.

Chapter 2 (Installable Device Drivers) is a little longer, to document
some 3.20 and 3.30 enhancements.

Chapter 6 (DOS Interrupts and Function Calls) is 76 pages longer.  I tried
to get a handle on what the difference was, since the table of contents is
fairly comparable.  Looking at one particular function (38h) that had more
pages, I noticed that while it had some new information, it also has a
larger font - and that the same words took more space in the new manual.
This appears to account for most of the difference, at least at first blush.

There is also some information REMOVED that was there before.  For example,
Function 2Ah of the 3.10 Tech Ref has remarks that say:  "If the time-of-day
clock rolls over to the next day, the date is adjusted accordingly, taking
into account the number of days in each month and leap years.  Unless you
are using the IBM ROM which ignores date rollovers past the first."  But
the 3.30 Tech Ref has the last sentence fragment missing!  They probably
fixed the IBM ROM bug for PS/2's - but that does not (presumably) fix PC's!

There are a few new functions for DOS 3.30 that are documented:

65h Get Extended Country Information

66h Get/Set Global Code Page - for COUNTRY.SYS resident country buffers

67h Set Handle Count - the maximum number of file handles allowed for
	this interrupt is 64k.  It also says that values of up to 255 will be
	allowed in the CONFIG.SYS FILES= command.  The purpose is so that data
	base applications can use this function to reduce the need to swap
	handles.

68h Commit File - causes all buffered data for a file to be written to
	the device.  This function can be used instead of the close-open
	sequence.

Chapter 7 (DOS Control Blocks and Work Areas) includes a new section (a few
pages) describing the format of Font Files for Code Page Images (CPI's).

Chapter 9 (Fixed Disk Information) has 6 pages that are new, describing
the architecture of the "Extended DOS Partition".  They explain that "the
extended DOS partition is a new partition type intended to allow future
DOS expansion on a large fixed DASD" but later point out that "in DOS 3.30
an extended volume cannot be larger than 32Mb due to the limitations of
the FAT file system."  You cannot boot from this partition, and an instance
of the old partition must also be on the disk.  So what's it for?  Maybe to
support the optical disk, which holds 200Mb?

There is an entirely new section (called "Section 2") that documents various
system utilities provided with this Tech Ref.  These utilities are LINK,
EXE2BIN, DEBUG, and LIB.EXE.  I notice that the disks also contain VDISK.ASM.
I say "disks" because it came with both a 5-1/4" disk AND a 3.5" disk.  These
utilities (except LIB.EXE?) used to be on the DOS Supplemental Disk that came
with the regular DOS manual.  They probably were forced to go to a third disk
when they added new features, such as the font files.

Lastly, the Technical Quick Reference card has the names and register usage
for interrupts and function calls, errors, pre-defined file handles, and
data areas (directory layout, FCB, BPB, PSP, Device Header, and Request
Header).

In conclusion, you probably don't need to go out and buy this manual if
you already have the 3.10 Tech Reference.  But if you can get it for free,
why not?

Mark Colan
MIT Project Athena

------------------------------

From: Yuval Rakavy <yuval%humus.huji.ac.il@RELAY.CS.NET>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 87 18:55:13 jdt
Subject: DIAL.SRC Updated

DIAL - IBM-PC program to dial telephone numbers using a Hayes compatible
modems.

 A data-base with phone numbers can be prepared, for example if this data
base contains the lines:

 Yuval Rakavy   0,972-2-521569
 Mickey Mouse    800-1234-123

You can dial to Yuval by entering the command:
   dial yu

In addition DIAL also supports automatic re-dialing.

In Israel only Pulse dialing is available. The source is included so
you can change the program to work with touch tone dialing. You will
have to change the command sent to the Modem from ATDP to ATDT. and
the function that calculates the time it takes to dial a given number.

I hope that you will like this program. I use it every day and I am very
pleased with it..

 I am posting the program again, this time without the uuencoded executable
because I read in the last digest that one has problems with the original
posting.

yuval%israel@csnet-relay
...!mcvax!huji!yuval

[DIAL.SRC has been updated in our library. Somebody with a unix system please
try it out to see if the shell file unpacks its self correctly. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Apr 1987 16:03-PDT
From: horowitz@cseb.usc.edu
Subject: SCriptWriter

SCriptWriter, a system for creating educational software on
the IBM PC family, has just been released at USC.
The programming environment consists of a graphics editor,
a font editor, a text editor, and a programming language.
The system uses the metaphor of a play. Actors can be defined
to have an image and a set of lines.  Lines are written using
the IQ language, a variant of Pascal with special operators
for manipulating players.  Many of the PC Storyboard features
for appearing screens are included, as well as general animation
capabilities.  Various mice and digitizers are supported.

The system has already been used for creating slide shows,
drill-and-practice lessons, and interactive tutorials.

For more information contact:
horowitz@usc-cseb.usc.edu
213-743-0940

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 87 11:03:00 EDT
From: <zn0chapman@nardacva.arpa>
Subject: Slow Down the Zenith Z-248

In a recent digest, Robert Bloom (AMSTE-TEI 3775 <rbloom@apg-1.ARPA>) asks
"Is there a 'slow-down' program that closer emulates the vanilla PCs" for
Zenith Z-248s?

YES!  It IS undocumented (found out by word of mouth sometime back).  All
you need to do (no "external" program required) is to do a <ctrl>-<alt>-
<ins> to get into the monitor and enter:

                -> O 64,B1       ; that is an ALPHA O
                ->               ; and do a bw or bf to re-boot

To clear the system patch, turn the machine off.

David Chapman
NARDAC Norfolk
zn0chapman@nardacva.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 16:50:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: AT Slow-Down

Try AT-SLOW, available on various BBS's. I've tried this on our Zenith
Z248 AT, and it slowed down to about Norton SI 4 (from 7). I did not try
it out on any speed-sensitive games, tho.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 11:51:47 EDT
From: Russell Nelson <bh01%CLUTX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: IMS 286 Box

As far as I can tell, ALL AT clones that look just like an IBM PC/AT and
have a 3/8" diameter key are manufactured by Everex and OEM'ed by the
company that has its name on the front.  Some of them just put a generic
"System 1800". I have one of those at home, a 10 Mhz/1 wait state.  As
the editors noted, this machine runs about as fast as a 8Mhz/0 wait
state machine.  I have a Z-248 at work, and I notice no difference in
speed.

Everex has just started identifying themselves as the manufacturer of
these machines in ads in Byte and PC Magazine.  I would have bought
my machine with much greater confidence if I had known that Everex was
the manufacturer.  Not that Everex is so wonderful, but that I know
where to find them when my machine dies, as opposed to some Taiwanese
clone maker.
-russ

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 01 May 87 12:00 EST
From: Mark D. Eggers (219) 239-7258 <CF4A8X%IRISHMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Word Perfect TOPSprint and the LaserWriter

Printing from Word Perfect 4.2 to the Apple LaserWriter via TOPS

    Several people have reported various problems when
trying to use the Word Perfect LaserWriter driver in
conjunction with TOPS. One solution to this problem is given
below. While not the most straightforward method, it does
produce nearly perfect output.

    First of all, the Word Perfect document needs to be
formatted with a certain set of pitch and margins. I use the
following:

1. Pitch - 13* (proportional)
2. Left margin - 13
3. Right margin - 97

The margin settings result in about an inch for the left and
right margins. Other margins could be used.

    The printer driver should be set as Apple LaserWriter -
Times Portrait. I haven't tested the other Apple LaserWriter
settings (Helvetica or landscape), so you're on your own.
Some modifications for the driver setting are as follows:

1. Print to a file rather than directly to the printer.
2. Select sheet feeder.
3. Columns to add at the left hand edge of the printer
   should be 0.
4. Select Apple LaserWriter sheet feeder.

     Now print the file from Word Perfect. The print file
should end up on your disk (wherever you told it to go in
the printer setup).

     Next, make sure that your version of TOPS print is
configured to NOT translate to PostScript. See the TOPS
manual on how to do this.

     Finally, the file printed from Word Perfect is now
ready to be sent to the LaserWriter. Run a program (C source
below) called LWCNVRT, which does the actual sending to the
printer. The syntax is:

        LWCNVRT filename >prn:

where 'filename' was the name of the file that was printed
to in Word Perfect. If all has gone well, the document
should be printed to the LaserWriter and look reasonable.

    A few problems should be noted about this system (other
than the fact that it is a total kludge). Tabs are not done
very well. Proportional tabs get 'squashed' and columns may
not line up properly. A combination of underscore and bold
does not format properly, the underlining usually coming up
a bit short. Apparently, the Word Perfect driver does not
calculate the length of a word based on what the actual font
is.

     Other than that, the combination of Word Perfect, TOPS
Print, the Apple LaserWriter, and a small C program gives
reasonably good output. Please send comments, flames,
suggestions, and improvements directly back to me since I am
not currently on this mailing list.

Mark Eggers

--- C --- Source ---

/* Copyright Mark Eggers, April 30, 1987 */
/* This code may be freely copied or     */
/* used as long as it is not sold.       */
/* Send enhancements to me so that       */
/* others may benefit. Usage is:         */
/* LWCNVRT filename >prn:                */
/* Written in MicroSoft C 3.0            */
/* Compile with default compiler settings*/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <process.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
main (argc, argv)
int argc ; char **argv ;
{
     int c, result;
     FILE *fpin;
     result = setmode(fileno(stdout),O_BINARY);
     fpin = fopen(*(argv+1),"rb");
     c = getc(fpin);
     while (c != 2)
      {
      if (c != 04)
        putchar(c);
      c = getc(fpin);
      }
     putchar(2);
     putchar(26);
}

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 04 May 87 19:18:58 EDT
From:         Mark Harris Perlman <6108070%PUCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Desktop Publishing

     A very general question:  Over the past few months I have abandoned
my PC in favor of the superior output generated by the Mac and the
LaserWriter.  This is a major inconvenience as I own a PC, but must use
a Mac at one of the public clusters.  I have access to an HP LaserJet,
but still find that nothing I can produce on the IBM comes close to what
Word or Write can do with little to no effort on the Mac.
     My major application is producing short (5 to 15 page) papers with
an occasional graph or table but with no need for columns or graphic
wrap-around.  Is there any affordable PC-based software that is
convenient and produces the professional look of a LaserWriter using a
PC/LaserJet combination?
                                      Thanks,
                                      Mark Perlman
                                      6108070@PUCC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 May 87 14:24:17 EDT
From: Russell Nelson <bh01%CLUTX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Z-248 Memory above 1Meg won't work with VCache

You can also use it for a disk cache like Vcache from Golden Bow.
Unfortunately, Zenith's PC-DOS 3.1x doesn't work with Vcache.  I don't
know how well it works with other disk cache programs.  If you find one,
let us know about it, because disk caches beat EVERYTHING else that you
can do with extended memory.

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 17:34:00 EDT
From: "DANIELS S." <s_daniels@nusc.arpa>
Subject: Carousel uses Zenith RAM above 1 Meg

I have a Z248 with the extra extended memory board, for a total of
2560K extended ram. One good use I have found for the Zenith's exten-
ded memory is with a program called Carousel, from SoftLogic, makers
of Disk Optimizer and other utilities.

Carousel allows you divide memory into as many as 10 partitions, each
one holding a separate program. You can then "context switch" and jump
from one to another, putting one program on hold while you begin using
the new one. You can use EMS ram, extended ram and even hard disk space
as a temporary swap area for storing programs while switching to the
current one. With these memories assisting conventional memory, you
thus can get as much as 600K program space for each program. The amount
of ram available to each partition is basically what you have available
when you start Carousel (e.g 600K at boot up, minus any ram-resident
utilities, minus 30+K or so for Carousel itself).

When you change partitions, Carousel saves the current program to the
swap space, and swaps in the new program. You could thus conceivably
have 3 copies of Lotus 123 in memory, each working on a different
spreadsheet. You could even set up SideKick in one partition - but it
would only be accessible from that partition. If you loaded SK before
running Carousel, it would then be accessible to all the partitions,
but at the cost of a reduced amount of ram to each one.

What I do is set it up so I have Turbo Pascal in one partition, DOS
in another, and Brief in a third. Brief allows me to keep a number of
source code files in memory at once, and switch between them, so I
can make quick changes, do cut and paste, etc. With this set up, I
can edit my source code, and then switch to the Turbo partition to
compile.

Of course, once you switch partitions, all activity in the old appli-
cation is paused until you switch back to it. This is not multitasking
in any sense of the word. But switches between partitions are reason-
ably quick - less than 5 seconds on the Zenith, when using extended
memory as a swap space. One thing - you cannot de-install Carousel
once it is running. You would have to reboot to exit it. The Mark/Rel-
ease combination has no effect. This has not been a problem - in
fact, I often start Carousel up in the morning, run all day, and
turn the machine off at night with no ill effects. What you are
really doing is running DOS in one of a number of configurations, e.g
Lotus, Turbo, etc.

PROBLEMS?
One problem I am experiencing is with my 2-hard disk Turbo XT - Carousel
refuses to recognize drive D: at all. If I mistakenly try to access it,
the drive spins until it times out, and I end up having to reboot. I have
not yet called SoftLogic about it.

DISCLOSURE:
I have to admit I got my copy thru a special offer for dealers only. Other
than that, and the above problem, I am a very satisfied user.
Carousel costs $60 and is not copy protected.

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 87 15:02:00 EDT
From: <zn0chapman@nardacva.arpa>
Subject: IBM Token Ring and Novell ACS Problem, Part II
To: "pc-token-ring" <pc-token-ring@oac.ucla.edu>

A few weeks ago, I sent a query out to INFO-IBMPC and PC-TOKEN-RING about a
problem I was having with my IBM Token Ring, Novell Advanced Netware (286),
and Novell's Asynchronous Communications Server software (after x number of
minutes, the async link would lock up; the condition could not be
duplicated; I tried n number of hardware combinations to no avail).
Amazingly enough, someone on one of the two digests got my name to Novell
and Novell tech support in Utah gave me a call (thank you anonymous
person!).

I talked quite a while with a fellow at Novell's tech support (LANSWER) and
was able to download a beta version of ACS that was supposed "to take care
of the problem".  I received a new ACS (comm server program) and ANYWARE
(host software).

BUT -> Did it work?  I was(!) a little excited about the prospect of
success after I ran several programs and was able to operate for about 15
minutes without being locked up.  Right before I was ready to conclude my
test, I tried one more program -> BINGO... everything froze. AND... now, I
cannot get a return call from the LANSWER folks.

My blood is boiling...

Flame on!

Come on NOVELL!  What is going on here?  I can understand problems with
having to deal with 30+ network topologies, but when I'm told that there
are no problems with this package by the D.C. rep and then get a beta copy
from the folks in Utah, it appears something is amiss.  Am I the only IBM
Token Ring person trying to run ACS?

Flame off!

Any help or suggestions from anyone is appreciated.

David Chapman
NARDAC Norfolk
zn0chapman@nardacva
804-444-1190

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 13:34:55 pdt
From: reynolds@ames-prandtl.ARPA (Don Reynolds)
To: s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.ARPA
Subject: 1.2 MB Floppy Diskette for XT Compatibles

I just bought my XT Clone with 1.2 MB Toshiba floppy from GCH Systems, Inc.
locally.  The controller also supports a 360 KB floppy and 2 other diskette
drives I am not using.  Except for speed, it acts like the 1.2 MB floppy on
my IBM PC-AT at work.  Price was competitive with other XT 1.2 MB floppy
sources.

Had a minor problem re-formatting a quad-density floppy formatted with the
operating system.  It had been formatted without the operating system on my
IBM PC-AT at work.  The story is the coercivity of the quad-density diskettes
is much higher than the 360 KB diskettes, such that a quad diskette cannot be
re-formatted on a 360 KB drive if it was originally formatted 1.2 MB on a 1.2
MB drive.  I suspect the Toshiba 1.2 MB drive, like a 360 KB drive, cannot
magnetize as hard as the IBM 1.2 MB drive.  The problem went away after
2-3 tries at formatting on the Toshiba 1.2 MB drive.

        GCH Systems, Inc.
        845 West Maude Avenue
        Sunnyvale, CA 94086
        (408) 733-2131

If you contact GCH, I worked with a very cooperative & knowledgeable salesman,
Cyrus Choobineh.

At the last ComputerFaire, JDR Microdevices advertised a 1.2 MB
floppy option for their XT clone.  Non-show prices were similar to
the $140.00 price Advance Microsystems quoted me.  JDR's catalog
sheet lists $124.95 for a quad density TEAC FD-55F, and I couldn't
find their controller listed.  So there are other sources around,
though my experience is only with the GCH Systems product.

Best,
Don

[Disclaimer:  Satisfied customer of GCH for my home system -- no other
 relationship with them. DRR]

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 02 May 87 12:27 CDT
From:  Wayne <BILLING%UOFMCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Cross-ASM for 68000

running on a PC, I have been able to find three:
        XMAC68K and XMAC68K2 (for the 68020)
        Avocet Systems Inc.
        120 Union St.
        P.O. Box 490
        Rockport, ME
        04856
        (207)236-9055
        (800)448-8500
        TLX: 467-210 AVOCET CI

        Computer Systems Consultants
        1454 Latta Lane
        Conyers, GA
        30207
        (404)483-1717
        (408)483-4570

        RELMS (Relational Memory Systems)
        3001 Ross Ave.
        San Jose, CA
        95124
        (408)265-5411
        (800)448-4880

Hope the information is accurate and useful.

Wayne Billing      NetNORTH address <BILLING@UOFMCC>
"Dinsdale!" - Spiny Norman
University of Manitoba ph:(204)474-8500

------------------------------

Date:         Sat, 02 May 87 15:11:09 EDT
From:         "James H. Coombs" <JAZBO%BROWNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  CompareRite

A while back, someone asked about programs for comparing files.  I just
read in the Boston Computer Society's PC Report (6.05, p. 23) about
a program called CompareRite:

         a unique document comparison program.  This program is ideal
         for documents where numerous revisions are made and where you
         need to keep track of these revisions.  CompareRite compares
         two documents and then generates a third document, which would
         be your "redline draft" (indicates revisions), could be ready
         for print or could be viewed on screen.  CompareRite also gives
         you the option for end notes (changes appear on last page of
         document, similar to foot noting, rather than in document itself).

         CompareRite seems flexible and easy to learn and use.  For
         those requiring this feature, it seems like one of the best on
         the market.  CompareRite is $99.95 (supporting a single word
         processor); $129.95 (supporting more than one word processing
         program).  For more information, contact Richard Anders, 763
         Mass.  Ave., Cambridge, MA 92139 (617) 864-6151 [JURISoft,
         Inc.].

------------------------------

Date:         Sat, 02 May 87 15:16:45 EDT
From:         "James H. Coombs" <JAZBO%BROWNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      PC Network

The Boston Computer Society's PC Report (6.05, p. 18) reports that PC Network
"has agreed to pay a $61,000 penalty to settle federal charges that it failed
to promptly honor guarantees and didn't give customers a chance to cancel
orders that were delayed."  Apparently they did not admit guilt, however, and
magazines continue to run their ads.

Also, Conroy-Lapointe has gone out of business.

------------------------------

Date: Saturday, 2 May 1987  14:19-MDT
From: SAC.940AREFG-SE@E.ISI.EDU
To: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject:   HGC-VIEW.ARC File Dump for Hercules Graphics Card

Now available from SIMTEL20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.FILE-UTIL>
HGC-VIEW.ARC.1			BINARY	  9728  73B0H

A portion of the doc file follows:

HVIEW allows you to display the contents of a file on your Hercules
(or compatible) monochrome graphics card.  The program uses the very
high graphics mode resolution of the card to give a 180 x 43 character
display.  Since very few files use all 180 columns, the screen is
split vertically into two 90 x 43 panels.  After one screenful is
displayed, you can type Ctrl-break or Ctrl-C to stop the program or
press any other key to continue displaying the file.

Regards,

Pete Brown
Sac.940Arefg-SE@E.ISI.EDU
Mather AFB CA

------------------------------

Date:         Sun, 03 May 87 10:42:46 EDT
From:         "Prof. Yedidyah Langsam" <YDLBC%CUNYVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: EGA Screen Blanker

To the individual who is looking for an EGA screen blanker: PC Magazine
September 30, 1986 in PC Tutor, page 302-303 gives the code for an
EGA blanker which works fine. I have used it ever since the article
without any problems

------------------------------

Date: Sun 3 May 87 15:11:20-PDT
From: Brad A. Silverberg <SILVERBERG@CSL.SRI.COM>
Subject: Turbo Basic Bug

I wish to bring people up to date about the problem reported
in Turbo Basic -- where MKMS$ stores the absolute value only.

This is of course a bug.  We take such bugs VERY seriously
and have already acted to fix it.  The current internal version
of the compiler contains the fix and will be released in a few
weeks.  If you are affected by this, please let me know.

I apologize if the person you talked to in tech support
did not seemed concerned about the problem.  That should
not have happened, and does not reflect our typical attitude.
We want to know about any bugs you find, and will do our
best to get fixes out as soon as possible.

Brad Silverberg
Borland International

------------------------------

Date:  3 May 87 22:43 PDT
From: BSF.COR@OFFICE-1.ARPA
Subject: Mac II vs PS/2 Prices

Mark Colan asked for Base level price for a Mac II capable of 256
colors.  While there is not an exactly Apples to PC2-50s comparison,
I will attempt to give the minimum Apple configuration and show where
the differences are.

Mac II w/ 1 meg ram, 2 serial ports, 68881 floating point
coprocessor, stereo sound, mouse $3769

20 Meg Apple internal drive $999

Apple Keyboard          $129

Mac II Video Card                $499

Video memory expansion  $149

Apple RGB Monitor                $999

     Total              $6544

Note that the internal hard disk is expensive by market standards, as
may be the color monitor when the machine if finally delivered.  If I
were buying a Mac II I would consider the Supermac Technologies
display card, as it is capable of supporting large screens
(c768x1024).  Both cards have a palette of 2**24 vs. 2**18 for the
PC2 if this matters in your application

   Bill Frantz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 May 87 16:37:43 pdt
From: voder!apple!lsr@Sun.COM (Larry Rosenstein)

Each Mac II comes with a 16 MHz 68020, 68881 floating point chip, 1 800K
floppy, 1 Mb RAM, and standard Apple keyboard.

Basic Mac II			3898
Internal 20Mb hard disk		 999
Internal 40Mb hard disk		1599
Color Monitor			 999
Video card			 499
Video card memory expansion	 149

The color monitor can do 640x480 color graphics.  The video card comes with
enough memory for 4 bits per pixel (16 colors out of a palette of 16
million); the memory expansion consists of video RAM to fill out the video
card to permit 8 bits per pixel (256 colors out of 16 M).

So the price of a color system with 20Mb hard disk is $6544; with a 40 Mb
disk it is $7144.  If you are willing to mix components from different
companies, you may be able to find a 3rd party monitor, disk drive, etc.
that would cost less.

It is also possible to plug in a second video card and a monochrome monitor
($399) and have 2 screens on your system.  Other companies make large
(1024 x 768 x 8) color screens.

The 286 coprocessor card is available from a 3rd party, so I don't know how
much it costs.

Larry Rosenstein

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 07 May 87 08:11 EST
From:    Tom Dowdy <CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
To:      info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu

Subject: Mac II vs. IBM PS/2

I realize that this is Info-IBMPC, but what with all of the arguments
recently about PS/2 vs Mac II over graphics and/or price, I thought
I would pull out this comparison from Info-Mac.  Original
source is Joel West.

                        IBM PS/2 Model 80       Mac II
Availability            July 1987               May 1987
Processor               16 MHz 80386            16 MHz 68020
                        20 MHz 4th Q
Floating point CP       optional                standard
Color display           640x480, 16 of 256      640x480, 256 of 16M
Optional display        1024x768, 256 of 256K   1024x768, 256 of 16M (3rd pty)
Internal Floppy         3.5", 1.4Mb             3.5", 800K
Hard disk standards     ESDI (optional)         SCSI (standard)

Bus                     IBM 'Micro Channel'     NuBus (IEEE P1196)
Width                   32 bits                 32 bits
Maximum slots           16                      16
Number of slots         4 (+ 3 old-style)       6
Multiple bus masters    yes                     yes
DIP switches?           no                      no
Address assignment      vendor-based            slot-based

Existing OS compatible with prior machines
                        MS/DOS 3.3              Macintosh System 4.1
Multitasking            no                      planned? (Bix says yes)
Availability           now                     May
Graphics interface      no                      yes
Maximum memory          640K                    8Mb

New OS                  OS/2                    A/UX
Multi-user              no                      yes (?)
Multitasking            yes                     yes
Availability            "1988"                  "summer 1987"
Graphics interface      1989?                   same

Also, Bix had an observation on the price and features.  Since they
frequently quote from INFO-MAC and comp.sys.mac, I'm sure they won't
mind if I quote from them:

    microbytes/items #1030, Thu Apr  2 12:47:28 1987
    TITLE: Cost Comparison: IBM's PS/2 Model 80 vs. Macintosh II

    How does IBM's new 32-bit machine compare on a cost basis with
    Apple's recently introduced Macintosh II? The prices look pretty
    even until you start adding things, like a math coprocessor, to
    the PS/2.

    IBM's PS/2 Model 80-041          Apple's Mac II Model HD40
    -----------------------          -------------------------
    Standard equipment:              Standard equipment:

      16-MHz 80386                     16-MHz 68020
      1 megabyte of RAM                1 megabyte of RAM
      1.44-megabyte floppy             800K-byte floppy
      44-megabyte hard disk            40-megabyte hard disk
      3 open 32-bit slots              5 open 32-bit slots
      keyboard                         keyboard
      video card                       video card
                                       68881 coprocessor
                                       system software
                                       13-inch color monitor

    Price: $6995                     Price: $6996

    But to get a PS/2 that has features comparable to what comes
    standard with the high-end color Mac II, you have to add these
    ($685); and the OS/2 operating system ($325), which lacks
    graphics and windowing (but IBM said a later version will offer a
    graphics environment). Tack the costs of the options to the cost
    of the Model 80 and the price tag reads $8800. The difference in
    price between the PS/2 and the Mac II then runs to about $1800 --
    more than enough to buy AST Research's Mac286 board ($1499) that
    enables the Mac to run MS-DOS programs.

-Tom Dowdy
 CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"They say there is strangeness to danger us,
 In our theaters and bookstore shelves.
 Those who know what's best for us,
 Must rise and save us from ourselves."

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 6 May 87 11:39 EST
From: "GLENN EVERHART, 609 486 6328" <EVERHART%ARISIA%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
To:       info-ibmpc@C.ISI.EDU
Subject:  PS Color Modes

It may be noted (re msg in issue 30) that the IBM PS color modes
don't stack up that well against the Amiga's either...
4096 colors on a screen of 704 by 470 (using the PD morerows
program), or 4096 colors on a 640 by 400 screen (doing nothing
special, just ordinary Amiga hi-res)...
  Here's to multitasking and lots of screen resolution. Anyone using
AmigaDos as well as MSDOS will tell you, multitasking and windows are
great stuff, and much to be desired. Maybe in a couple or 3 years
the msdos community will have a system and some software that do it...
 :-)
	Glenn Everhart

------------------------------

Date: 4 May 87 16:52:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: ANSI Escape Sequences Info

Rob Bloom asked for info on ANSI  escape/control sequences. Here are
some references:
Sources on information on ANSI terminal sequences:
1) Mirror terminal program by SoftKlone
   Check their file ANSI.DOC that comes with the program
2) PC Magazine issue of 3/10/87, pg 355
   article & chart on ANSI
3) Computer Language Magazine - Jan 19086, pg 45
   article, chart on ANSI terminal sequences
4) IBM Exchange Magazine - Sept 1985, pg 19
   chart showing ANSI sequences.

------------------------------

From: honzo@4gl.UUCP (Honzo Svasek)
Subject: MS-DOS COM Device Driver ASYNC.CAT
Date: 1 May 87 12:29:48 GMT

	-Implements FULL RS232 support for IBM PC and compatible async cards.
	-Includes 128-byte buffers on input and output.
	-Supports Xon/Xoff or hardware handshake. Hardware handshake uses
	 DSR or CTS (to throttle output data) All handshake modes are
	 treated separately, an can be used in combinations.
	-Bells can be set to echo when the input buffer overflows.
	-An intelligent half-duplex mode is available that echoes characters
	 only after MSDOS has requested them. (Typed-ahead answers to
	 questions appear AFTER the questions, not as you type them).
	-The 8th bit (parity) can optionally be stripped off on input
	 and/or output.
	-Lower case characters can optionally be translated to upper case
	 on input and/or output.
	-Control-c and control-s characters are optionally passed through
	 the buffer on non-destructive reads so that the buffer does not
	 defeat the break command to MSDOS when the buffer is full.
	-Several escape sequences are optionally scanned for on input that
	 perform useful tasks when used as a console terminal:
	 1) A soft reset sequence that re-boots the system in the same way
	    ALT-SHIFT-DEL does. (Default: control-C control-R control-B).
	 2) A flush input buffer sequence that removes all characters in
	    the 128 byte type ahead buffer that have not been read by
	    MSDOS yet (Default: control-X).
	 3) A re-draw the last output line sequence. (Default: control-R).
	 4) A delete line sequence that will delete all input back to the
	    beginning of the last line. (Default: control-U).
	 5) A skip output sequence turns this driver into a NUL device,
	    (output data disappears) until the next skip-output sequence is
	    types, or until input is requested. (Default: control-O).
	-The IOCTRL read and write function is used to query or change
	 baud rates, bits/byte, parity, as well as enabling/disabling all
	 the optional features mentioned above.  This eliminates the
	 necessity of a program that has special knowledge of the system.
	 A program to change these features need not know the location of
	 the driver or special words in low memory, or even the port
	 address of the UART.  Instead, all that is needed is the name of
	 the device, and the format of an IOCTL write to this driver.

	Mike Higgins
	The Computer Entomologist
	P.O. Box 197
	Duncans Mills, CA 95430

[TERM.C was lost in the transfer.
ASYNC.CAT a device driver for async ports has been added to the library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 5 May 87 14:35:59 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: PS2 Monitor Interlaced and Single-Frequency
From: LLi.ESCP8@Xerox.COM

I just came across an article in PCWeek (5/5/87, p. 103) in which it's
stated:

"The dot pitch of the new IBM interlaced monitors is coarse, Mr. [Mike]
Tyler [of Dataquest] explained, and such displays tend to flicker.
Because of this, 'not too many companies are making interlaced displays
anymore,' he said.".

Another article (PCWeek, 5/5/87, p. 105) says:

"The IBM single-frequency monitors used in the PS/2 line can display
many different graphics modes without requiring users to switch
graphics boards.  Unlike multiscan monitors, popularized by the NEC
MultiSync, which adjust to a range of frequencies to support many
resolutions, the ability to change from one graphics resolution to
another with the IBM monitors is built into the graphics controller on
the PS/2 motherboard.  That means that multiscan monitors currently on
the market won't work with the new machines."

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 05 May 87 12:15:12 MEZ
From:         Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Re: CHECK wanted
To:           Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@C.ISI.EDU>
ReSent-Date:  6 May 1987 10:20:41 PDT
ReSent-From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@C.ISI.EDU>
ReSent-To: info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU

Hello Bill,
thank you for sending me CPUID.
But that is not exactly what I wanted.
Pc magazine last year published a utility CHECK.COM
which does much more than CPUID or CHECK87.
It also allows for user inputs and stes the errorcode,
checks if a hard disk is present, which sort of video adapter is installed.
All in one utility and via command line options. It gives its answers via
the error code.
Perhaps somebody has it.
It the worst case my son will type it in and I will submit it.

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 6 May 87 12:33 EST
From: "GLENN EVERHART, 609 486 6328" <EVERHART%ARISIA%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: AsEasyAs Cheap 123 Clone

I recently got a copy of AsEasyAs from the Cliff Park BBS, the
BBS for PC-Blue. It's been upgraded to 256 by 1024 size and is
said to be a faithful, shareware (cheap) 1-2-3 clone. Since it's
both less expensive and (it appears) more functional than the
Lotus student product, perhaps it'd be desirable to forget about
Lotus' offering...
  Of course if you want real power, at some cost learning to use it,
AnalytiCalc is available from PC-SIG on 3 disks (or over the net)
and addresses 18,000 by 18,000 cells!
 Enjoy...
	Glenn Everhart

------------------------------

From: munnari!augean.oz!tnemeth@seismo.CSS.GOV (Tom Nemeth)
Subject: Word 3.1 Supplementary Laserwriter Setup File
Date: 5 May 87 06:20:21 GMT

Microsoft (Australia) have been distributing a supplementary printer disk for
the Laserwriter Plus, which fixes a spelling error in the setup files.
In addition to the .INI and .PRD files, the disk contains a file called
LASRHARD.TXT, which they suggest should be copied to the Laserwriter after
each time it is powered up.

                        DON'T DO IT!!!

The file contains a Postscript program, which uses an undocumented option to
set the printer to use hardware (CTS/RTS) handshaking instead of XON/XOFF.
(The PC and accompanying wiring diagrams can not use hardware flow control).

Although this speeds up the printing of short (1-2 pages) documents by up
to 500%, it unfortunately makes the Laserwriter completely unusable for ANY
document longer than a couple of pages.  Furthermore, this is set into
NON-volatile memory, so the power on/off makes no difference at all!

I have just finished undoing the damage here, so beware!

Tom Nemeth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 18:56:14 EDT
From: "John A. Shriver" <jas@monk.proteon.com>
To: pcip@louie.udel.edu, ibm-nets%bitnic.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: IBM's PC TCP/IP

IBM Programming Announcement number 287-165, dated April 21, 1987,
included in the May 5, 1987 Announcement Letters, announces TCP/IP for
the PC.  It's called "IBM TCP/IP for the PC Feature."  It's buried at
the end of an announcement for a new version of the VM TCP/IP.

The PC software includes:
	IP
	TCP
	UDP
	FTP
	TFTP
	Telnet (including 3270)
	POP to access SMTP

It supports the following adapters
	IBM Token-Ring Network PC Adapter I
	IBM RT PC Baseband Adapter (Ethernet)
	3COM Ethernet Link
	Ethernet LAN adapter - Ungermann-Bass (P/X 2272A), or equivalent

You have to buy the software in quantity, the minimum being 20 copies.
You pay one fee for 20 copies, etc.

	Copies		Buy (OTC)	Rent/month (MLC)

	20		2,400		120
	50		3,200		160
	100		5,000		250
	250		13,500		675

This may look intimidating, but it divides out quickly.  At the first
price break, you pay $120/copy to buy, or $6/copy/month to rent.  You
also pay a one-time charge of $350 for the master diskette that you
copy with a special program.  (They call this "source code", but I
doubt it's what you or I call source.)

My question: who wants to claim to be the root of this code.  It's
obviously come to the world through ACIS.  Given the presence of POP,
I'd guess su-pc/ip.  (Or it could be the CMU effort.)  Anyone care to
step up and take the credit?

Another note: this is not what's on page 5 of the May 4, 1987
InfoWorld.  That's another product, for which the Ivory letter
(announcement, after the color of the off-white paper) is not out.  It
is on the IBM internal system (HONE).  It appears to be a replacement
for the beloved (?) DACU for mainframe attach.  We'll see.  I'll post
that when I get it.

------------------------------

From: "David R. Conrad" <davidc@terminus.umd.edu>
To: "John A. Shriver" <jas@monk.proteon.com>

    Actually, you can pay a $350.00 one time charge in addition to the
normal site license charge for the binaries and you get floppies (lots
of them) with the actual source code.  The real C and assembler stuff.
The master diskette that they talk about in the announcement is a
program that will allow you to make N registered copies of the binaries,
where N is up to the limit you paid for.

    The POP server was based on a public domain program originally
written at NOSC.  The POP client was written entirely here at UMD.  The
user interface follows the Rand/MH system, although the code is original,
and features true POP-2 to receive mail and SMTP to send it.  We were
somewhat amused to hear of the SU-PC/IP version of mail for the PC to be
so close to our own.

    Or blame?  The University of Maryland PC/IP Group is a joint study
between The University of Maryland and IBM ACIS.  The root of the code
is the well known (and loved(?)) MIT code by J. Saltzer, J. Romkey,
et. al. with some modifications by Drew Perkins from CMU.  Due to some
copyright problems at the start of the project, we re-ported the code
from the MIT cross compiled version.  We didn't use Drew's port, though
we did use some stuff originally from IBM that was modified by CMU as
well as some stuff from CMU ITC.  We have made many performance
enhancements such as multi-connection TCP for all TCP based utilities
(with the exception of telnet), fast screen handling, etc.  and the
documentation has been completely rewritten.

    We have yet to see what IBM will be distributing from the stuff we
gave them (documentation, binary, or source), so take what is said here
with a grain of salt.  IBM will be marketing the stuff as a 'Program
Offering' and have set up an 800 number for support.

-drc

David R. Conrad       University of Maryland, Systems      davidc@umd5.umd.edu
(301) 454-2946                PC/IP Group                  conradd@umdd.bitnet

End of Info-IBMPC Digest