Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU.UUCP (05/08/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Thursday, 7 May 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 34

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Queries:

			XENIX Monitor Swapping
	    Terminal I/O under MSC 3.X Causes Random Jump
	      Possible Glitch w/ PS/2 Data Migration Kit
			 Rainbow Mailing List
		 Software for Helping us Name Things
		       Large-Scale Disk Copying
       Fancy Different Sized Letters for Cartographic Purposes
		     Printing to the Laserwriter
			 Novel with Heath-248
			    Text Databases
	 Bug in 3.1 COMMAND.COM and how to set Canadian Dates
			Tecmar Graphics Master
		 Experience with ZIM database manager
		   Looking for AT Clone Schematics
			     CHECK Wanted
		    AST Rampage Diagnostics Wanted
			      ARC520.COM
			Networking Help Wanted
		       AT&T 6300 and Sidekick!
		      NEC V20/V30 Batch Letters
			 Moving a PC to Italy
	      Troubles with UUDECODE and SIMTEL-ARCHIVES
			   Resident Memory.
		      RLL Experiences to Share?
	       PRINTING UPPER 128 ASCII IN WORDPERFECT
			IBM-PC Fortran Engine
		 External Common Blocks in MS4.0 F77
	       Request for Lead to SCHEDULING Software
			     Dots-Perfect
			 PS/2 as JES3 Console
			Disk Optomizer Wanted
		      Ampex Seagate Info Wanted
	  1.2 MB PC AT Drives Loading the Heads on the Media

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 07:51:50 edt
From: skora@bnl.arpa (John Skora)
Subject: XENIX Monitor Swapping

Does anyone know how to swap between monochrome and color monitors on a
XT/AT running SCO XENIX?  Or if any net goodies to do so are available?

Thanks in advance.....	John

------------------------------

Subject: Terminal I/O under MSC 3.X Causes Random Jump
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 09:17:45 EDT
From: jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA

  I have had numerous problems with terminal input/output and
redirecting of same using assembler, turbo-pascal and
micro-soft c. Today a friend was bitten by something that
got me six months ago (I lost access to this newsletter temporarily)
so I thought I would ask about it.

 My friend was using MS-c 3.whatever and getting input
with the "getche" call. Somehow under random circumstances
this call caused a "random goto" and he wound up in some
other part of the program ( textually above the call in question )
I had this problem  earlier and I "fixed" it by using
"cgets" instead. As I said earlier I have had other problems
with terminal I/O. I was involved in a small flurry of
letters to this newsletter concerning reading character input
from turbo-pascal. I also had problems inheriting redirected
stdin in assembler which I had to work around by using
those force-duplicate int 21 calls.

 I speculate that a lot of these problems stem from the
attempt to provide Unix like redirection. Seems
like there is always an extra lf or cr in the input buffer
but I am guessing. My associates have all noticed the
problems, they all use "cgets" now or its equivalent.
Are we messing up or missing something? or are there
problems really there. I would be happy to redescribe in detail
the problems with turbo-pascal I had since that is
simple to do - the other problems are more involved and
require more explanation than perhaps they are worth.

------------------------------

Date:    29th April, 1987  23:04:55 mdt
From:    Bruce A. Tankleff <MCSBAT%NMSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Possible Glitch w/ PS/2 Data Migration Kit

Has anyone had the chance to utilize the IBM Data Migration cabling and
software package for xferring data from PC to PS/2?

The local vendor (whom shall remain nameless) got one in, but claimed that
the cable didn't work because "one of the pins isn't connected".  When I
asked him if he had dug out his smart cable to try the xfer, he got
real quiet all of a sudden... and tried to change the subject.

My question:  is it possible that this will only work with some (read
"some" as IBM and a select few) parallel ports?  I tried it with both
a Tandy 1000, and they tried it with a Zenith... no luck in either case.

While I'm going to just go serial to serial w/ a null modem to xfer
anything of mine, a friend overseas will be transferring data from
a machine without an RS-232... so that option is out.

Anyone heard of any problems, or can anyone think of why it wouldn't work?
Any help would be appreciated - he doesn't want to buy the external drive
unless he has to.

Thanks in advance...

              --Bruce A. Tankleff      <MCSBAT @ NMSUVM1>
                New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
                "You have to have a sense of humor..."

Disclaimer:  I'll never admit to it.  Uh-uh.  Nope.  No Way...

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 30 Apr 87 13:55 EDT
From:  "MAJ DAVID C. MCGUFFEY" <McGuffey@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>

   Is there a mailing list for the Rainbow 100 similar to this mailing list?

------------------------------

Date: Thu 30 Apr 87 12:06:05-PDT
From: Katie MacMillen <MACMILK@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Software for Helping us Name Things

Someone here at Stanford suggested I use this address to ask
the following question:

I once heard/read about some software that helps people name
things. From what I remember, it runs you through a set of
"what do you like, what do you not like?" queries. The queries
ask about sounds (consonants and vowels) or words.

Then the program pieces together words or combinations that it
thinks you would like according to what it has learned you like.

Does anyone know anything about this?

thanks,
Katie

macmilk@score.stanford.edu
(out there)!decwrl!shasta!macmilk

------------------------------
From: mcvax!smb!dave@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: Large-Scale Disk Copying
Date: 1 May 87 11:58:41 BST (Fri)

I don't know whether such a beast exists, but we would like to find something
which will allow us to copy lots of disks automatically.

At the moment, the person with the short straw is forced to sit in front of a
PC for the day, inserting disks manually, when we have a lot of disks to copy.

Is there a better way? Maybe some sort of disk stacker that copies 50 disks
one after the other ...

Does anyone know of something that would suit?  A supplier in the UK would
be best, but we'll consider anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Settle, SMB Business Software, Thorn EMI Datasolve

UUCP:
	dave@smb.co.uk
	...!mcvax!ukc!nott-cs!smb!dave

SMAIL:					Voice:
	SMB Business Software		     +44 623 651651
	High Street
	Mansfield			Telex:
	Nottingham NG18 1ES		     37392 TECSMG
	England
					Fax:
					     +44 623 659947

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 1 May 87 15:09 N
From:     <ROSING%HROEUR5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Fancy Different Sized Letters for Cartographic Purposes

Hello you all,

I've been reading this news brief for about 3 months now and while
much of it is to technical for me it is getting better as it educates
me!  This is my first try at a question (although I did once send off
an answer).

I am in an Economic Geography Institute which is *very* math. oriented
and we are huge computer users (use also huge computers).  Personally I
also have been using a IBM compatible for three years --Olivetti M24
(ITT 6300, or something like that, in the USA)--  in addition at home as
a terminal and as a dedicated integer programming machine.  The Institute
is now going to buy three or four Olivettis (our University is locked into
a contract with Olivetti) M24 or M28 (latter AT comp.)  A typical config.
will be 640K (M 28, 1.5MB) 1 or 2 floppy drive(s), and a Bernoulli
10MB cartridge hard disk.  In addition we will be getting *one* Hewlett
Packard LaserJet printer or a H.P. LaserJet Plus.

As a bunch of geographers we make a lot of maps and have two cartographers
who scribe the lines and drop in the lettering etc. (yes we also do a lot
of automated cartography but it is amazing how many "one off" jobs just
aren't worth the trouble of digitizing).

Our cartographers need a new headliner for setting type to drop into maps
and diagrams.  Price, about like a Olivetti.

Now the questions:

I have heard of a programme called "FONTASTIC" and another called "FONTisy"
couldn't an Olivetti with the laser printer double as a type setter (e.g.
headliner) and eliminate the need of an extra piece of equipment (allowing
another PC)?
Is "FONTASTIC"/"FONTisy" really what we want or is there something better?
Is H.P. LaserJet Plus worth the extra money ($4000 vs.$2800)?
Is there a better (price comparable) printer with *versatility*?
Can such a system print on transparent stock?

Our local dealer is to busy counting his money coming in to answer questions;
I hope that someone out there with experience can answer me direct.  Our
list of requests has to be on the Deans desk on 1 June or it waits until
next year!!!

If there seems to be interest I'll summarize for here.

Thanks for reading all this and in advance thanks for the help.

                                        Ken Rosing

BITNET:
ROSING@HROEUR5
(You may have to add ".BITNET" on the end of that)

Normal Mail:
K.E. Rosing
Economic Geography Institute
Erasmus University
P.O. Box 1738
3000 Rotterdam
Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Fri 1 May 87 09:35:21-PDT
From: Phil Hibberd <HIBBERD@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: Printing to the Laserwriter

Does anyone know of any software that makes it possible to print graphics that
would ordinarily work on an Epson dot-matrix or HP Laserjet/thinkjet, on an
Apple Laserwriter?
	As a novice, it seems to me that there are too many IBM PC's an
Laserwriters out there for there not to be some kind of software to do this.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give.

Phil Hibberd

[Try a program which puts out post-script -wab]

------------------------------
Date:  Fri, 1 May 87 11:47 CDT
From:  Weinstein@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Novel with Heath-248

A friend of mine is having mega-problems getting his NEW Health-248 to
boot Novels Advanced Netware 286.

Here are the details.....

He has a Heath-248 (AT equiv) 8 MHZ-no wait states.  Yes he read in the
Heath book that he should jumper for at least 1 wait state in order for
the Novel net to work.  He has a Z445 add-on memory card (1M Expanded
Memory).

He has Advanced Netware 286 and the KeyCard from Novel and his interface
card is the ARCNET 100 CARD.

Now to the problem...

He always has problems booting up the server...  it just hangs...  looks
like a memory race contention type problem..  but I really do not know.
When he does get the system booted after say 20 tries (power off/then on
the system) the whole system works fine for days.  If he powers off the
system just once you can count on re-booting (power on/off) another
10-20 times.

Anyone who has any idea what's going on..  pls send mail directly to me
since I may not be on your mailing list

thanks in advance Weinstein -at HI-MULTICS

If anyone knows of a better list to send this message to.  pls redist
the message for me.  thanks Dennis

------------------------------

Date: Fri 1 May 87 12:01:23-CDT
From: George Reimonn <G.B0NGRXX@chip.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Text Databases

Here at Random House, I'm watching the development of a system that will
be used by the Reference staff (they write the Random House Dictionary) to
computerize the research and production of the dictionary.  I've also
watched the discussions here (in INFO-IBMPC) about "Nota Bene," "AskSam,"
etc.  These systems share a common element: they treat text as data and
apply to the text parsing and record indexing techniques that are usually
used in compilers and databases.

Our system (being developed) at Random House is based on an interface
between a supermini DBMS and a big, production-oriented editorial system
(based on the same supermini) used by several large publishing companies.
While the system is a good choice for Random House, it lacks many
conceivable features because the interface between the DBMS and the
editorial system was designed so that only few modifications are needed to
the editorial system which is designed to handle files, not records.  As a
result, many of the nice things that databases provide (like extensive
cross-reference through the use of pointers) are unavailable to the editors.

The PC-based products, on the other hand, don't look like they would
really hold up in our environment:  we are expecting our dictionary to
occupy about 2 gigabytes of disk, we must control about 300,000
dictionary entries, and we must provide simultaneous on-line access to 40
editors and their assistants.

I've been dreaming about a system split across PCs and a mini with the
user interface (under Windows?) on the PCs and the database on the mini.
Presumably, the user interface would look a lot like Nota Bene and other
quality PC packages, but would go (in some intelligent fashion) to the
mini when it needed text/data/pointers.  I guess there could be a
simple configuration with the database and the user interface on the
same machine.  Clearly, the distributed version of such a system might be
of interest to publishers with projects like dictionaries, encyclopedias,
restaurant guides, travel guides, catalogs, bibliographies, etc.

My interest (motivated partially by profit) is in hearing about others'
experiences with text as data.  Suggestions, contacts, anecdotes are also
welcome.

George Reimonn
MIS, Random House, 201 E 50th St. (5-3), NY, NY 10022; 212-572-4934
g.b0ngrxx@UChicago.bitnet (.edu too?) (Through the U of Chicago)
(UCHIMVS1.BITNET ?)

Disclaimers: Above is not the official position of Random House.  For
             other disclaimers, read the text.

[The United States is the only country I know of without a nationally
funded dictionary project. I am ten years out of date, but the source
material for the Merriam Webster dictionary was stored on 3" x 5"
cards in a wood frame building in Boston.  These are the original
source quotations lexicographers used to make the definitions of
words. George informs me Random House keeps all their source quotes
in shoe boxes in a NY high rise. Hopefully computers have gotten cheap
enough that this process can be automated and the source material
duplicated. It would be nice to see some funded research in this area. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 20:06:26 PDT
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Bug in 3.1 COMMAND.COM and how to set Canadian Dates

Back Space fails to correctly delete a long line that has wrapped
around the screen.

Reply:  <bd@triumfcl.bitnet>

ps:  Does anybody know how to set CANADIAN dates in CONFIG.SYS ?

------------------------------

From: aad#@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri)
Date: Fri,  1 May 87 17:08:57 edt
Subject: Tecmar Graphics Master

I've got a tecmar graphics master card here, sans docs or the software that
usually comes with it.  Can anyone help out here?  I'd be most grateful.

anthony a datri
ad0r@tb.cc.cmu.edu

------------------------------
Date:     Fri, 01 May 1987 15:10 PDT
From:     JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  Experience with ZIM database manager

  Is there anybody out there with experience with the ZIM database
manager ? I'm familiar with it's uniqueness (entity-relationship
model and all that jazz) and have read the reviews in the press,
but would like to hear about real, long-term experience. In particular
would like to know about ease of use, database design, speed, and disk
space consumption. Replays to either me or net OK, I will summarize the
former.

  Jeff Sicherman
  JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET

------------------------------
Date: Sat 2 May 87 20:08:04-EDT
From: "Mark Becker" <Cent.Mbeck%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Looking for AT Clone Schematics

Hello -

     After spending three weeks looking at AT clones, it has finally
sunk in that, except for a few cosmetic differences and the existence
of the Chips & Technologies ASIC chipset, most of the clones use the
same mother board.

     Has anybody published a set of schematics for the various clone
mother boards available on the market?

Regards,
Mark Becker

------------------------------
Date:         Sun, 03 May 87 16:11:42 MEZ
From:         Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      CHECK Wanted

In one of last years PC Magazine there was a nice utility
CHECK.COM
which could find out a lot about hardware, existence of files,
and so in and set the errorlevel so it could be used in batch files.
Since we poor Europeans cannot afford to download from BBSs in US
can anybody who has a copy send it to me and/or put it on the CCUC
program collection?

Eich Neuwirth
A4422DAB   at    AWIUNI11    in  BITNET

[Anybody who wants to volunteer to call up the PC Magazine BBS and down load
the source to this or other programs is welcome to do so. -wab]

------------------------------
Date:         Sun, 03 May 87 10:46:55 EDT
From:         "Prof. Yedidyah Langsam" <YDLBC%CUNYVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      AST Rampage Diagnostics Wanted

Doe anyone know of a program that will test and identify faulty chips (if any)
on an Extended Memory board (AST Rampage). I am looking for a routine
similar to IBM's advanced diagnostics Disk, but for extended memory.

What would cause a system to spontaneously reboot. After turning off the
system and waiting about 3-5 minutes the system then worked perfectly. No
screen messages were displayed. I am worried that there maybe something
major wrong with my system, (or about to happen). So far, this has happened
only once, but I worry.....

------------------------------
From: rjb@mitre-bedford.ARPA
Subject: ARC520.COM
Date: Sun, 03 May 87 14:16:10 EDT

I downloaded ARC520.COM from pd:<msdos.arc-lbr> via FTP using the
TENEX format, and when I fired it up, I got a message from System
Enhancement Associates describing the date and version, another
message that the file was unpacking itself, and then an apparent exit
to DOS, because i saw the C:> prompt again.

I have tried several times to download fresh copies of the file, and
always I get the same result. Am I doing something wrong, e.g., should
I use "binary" instead of "tenex", or is the file corrupted in some
subtle manner?

ross bettinger (rjb@MITRE-bedford.arpa)

------------------------------
From: cwruecmp!desai@seismo.CSS.GOV (Tejas Desai.)
Subject: Networking Help Wanted
Date: 4 May 87 00:09:59 GMT

 	 I am helping a friend setup a schoolwide Local Area Network of PC's
at the Weatherhead School of Management. The proposed network architecture
calls for use of Demper boxes (aka multiport repeaters) made by DEC, with
3 Com network cards and the Novell or Banyan operating system. We  do not know
if there is a problem with the configuration we have in mind and would
appreciate feedback from anyone who knows about or has used anything similar.
Please mail responses to me at the address below.

	Thanks
			Tejas.

Usenet: decvax!cwruecmp!desai
Csnet : desai@case
Arpanet: desai%case@csnet-relay
USmail: 2044 Cornell Road, #301, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.

------------------------------
Date:     Mon, 4 May 87 12:42 EST
From: <"RCSMST::SPIROS%gmr.com"@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject:  AT&T 6300 and Sidekick!

Hello!

I am running an AT&T 6300 PC with its standard hard disk and color
monitor. I would like to use Sidekick with it and I have heard that
there is a patch to it so that it can run correctly.

I have already Turbo Basic, Pascal and Prolog and have no trouble
whatsoever running them, just Sidekick. If any readers either have
the patch and are willing to share it or have the source to it will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Spiros Triantafyllopoulos    Spiros@GMR.COM
General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI.

------------------------------
From: rde@eagle.ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager)
Subject: NEC V20/V30 Batch Letters
Date: 1 May 87 12:23:07 GMT

I have two PCs (one 4.77, one 8 MHz) both of which have NEC V20s fitted,
and  both of which work fine. However, a few days ago I had a discussion
with  someone  from  the  U.S. who  said  that   certain   batches   had
problems. To summarize:

The  batch letter (or something) is the last letter (and optional digit)
on the first line of printing on the chip. Possible letters are:

     K9 - 50% duty cycle - PROBLEMS
     L - 33% duty cycle but limited temp range
     M - 33% duty cycle, OK

Other letters, same as M. I understand that the  normal  duty  cycle  is
33%;  fine.  Both my V20s are K9s. What does this imply? Should I change
them? Any ideas anyone?

           Bob Eager
           rde@ukc.UUCP
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde
           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

------------------------------

Date:     Sun, 3 May 87 22:02 EDT
From:     <MONTAN1%BRANDEIS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Moving a PC to Italy

I will move to Europe (Italy) at the end of the summer, and I am planning to
take my computer with me.  I have an IBM XT with a 10 meg internal drive, a
Paradise graphics card, a monochrome monitor, and an external modem. By the
time I move I may have added a printer and more mass storage (perhaps a hard
card).  I am interested in getting information and suggestions on moving my
computer.  I guess I am really asking two questions:

  1) what should I look for when shipping the system?
1.1) are there shippers that specialize in this kind of moving, or that you
     would recommend?
  2) what kind of problems may I expect when I will be in Italy?

I have already asked around concerning part 2), and the modem is the only part
that I am a little worried about.  How do I connect a US standard telephone
jack to an Italian phone outlet?
In any case, every bit of information you can provide (and your "war stories",
"horror stories", etc) will be appreciated.

Thanks.

[The phone company in Italy expects you to get a "Computer Phone" It looks
like a regular phone (except it costs more) and has a regular miniature
phone jack in the phone. Your modem plugs in there. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 May 87 09:00:49 cet
From: CHADM1%UCONNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Troubles with UUDECODE and SIMTEL-ARCHIVES

I recently read the plaintive notes from Hermanand Bettinger
and wish to add my tale of woe to theirs.
I also am attempting to access SIMTEL20-ARCHIVE using BITNET.
It is true that I have been able to follow the instructions and get files
delivered to me, but when I download them to an XT, I have some troubles.
The first thing I downloaded was UUDECODE in its TURBO PASCAL form.
This downloaded beautifully (as an ASCII file, complete with curly
brackets). The program compiled perfectly the first time!
Then I attempted to download ARCE320.UUE on the assumption that this
would arrive UUENCODED, and once decoded, I would be able to use it to
de-ARCHIVE other files as needed. Life isn't fair however, and UUDECODE
chokes on a line in the downloaded ARCE320.UUE file.
I have now downloaded several other UUENCODED files, and UUDECODE chokes
on each and every one of them.
I must be doing something wrong.
Can someone help?
Thanks,
Carl David
CHADM1@UCONNVM (bitnet address)

------------------------------

Subject: Resident Memory.
Date: Tue, 05 May 87 11:04:52 EDT
From: miso@braggvax.arpa

    Could someone explain to me the general concept of manipulating
resident memory in writing windows and screen pagination, and also a
little something on reading keyboard scan codes.  Source code examples
in either C or Assembly would be very helpful.

                                            Thanks in advance,
                                            Scott Gregory

                                       boyd@braggvax.arpa
                                       miso%coscom-fs4@braggvax.arpa

[Look over some of the example programs in the info-ibmpc library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 5 May 87 11:22 PDT
From: <DBUERGER%SCU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  RLL Experiences to Share?

A few weeks ago I read of a fellow who experienced some mysterious random
sector losses with a hard disk setup using one of the new RLL controller
cards.  I'm interested in finding out what anyone's experience has been
with this new technology, now that it's been out on the street for a few
months.  If you reply to me directly, I'll summarize for the net.

David J. Buerger
Santa Clara University P.C. Center
dbuerger%scu.bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
dbuerger@SCU.Bitnet

------------------------------

Date:  5-MAY-1987 17:01:51.07
From: John Spratta <SPRATTA%VAX.WESLYN%WESLEYAN.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: PRINTING UPPER 128 ASCII IN WORDPERFECT

Can someone tell me what I need to do to have WordPerfect print the
ASCII Upper 128 character set, to an Epson LX-86.  I can have the
character displayed on my monitor, however, when I print the document
that character appears as a blank space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                John N. Spratta

E-MAIL To:

MCD.J-SPRATTA%KLA.WESLYN@WESLEYAN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 May 87 14:30:18 PDT
From: Art_Olin%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject: IBM-PC Fortran Engine

Could anyone supply any information on a high-performance, economical
IBM-PC, IBM-PC/AT, or compatible 386-type system for a Nuclear Physics
application?  Software to be written in IBM's FORTRAN.  Price is a
primary consideration.

Reply:  <olin@triumfcl.bitnet>

------------------------------
Date: 05 May 87 23:17:10 EDT (Tue)
From: Rayan Zachariassen <rayan%ai.toronto.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: External Common Blocks in MS4.0 F77

My uncle writes and tries to run large fortran programs (geological analysis)
with lots of subroutines, and, of course, gobs of global data. All this
global data is stored in common blocks whose definitions have to be duplicated
everywhere they are used. He tells me there's a rumor going around that
in the 4.0 MicroSoft F77 it is possible to declare the common blocks once,
somehow refer to their definition in the subroutines that use them, link in a
separate module with the storage allocated, and in this way avoid having to
maintain the same definition of a common block in many spots in the code.
All this is supposed to be feasible, but is not documented in the manuals.

The question then is how to do it, if possible? He (and by extension I)
would very much appreciate a cookbook guide -- i.e. what syntax to use,
what does it do, how to invoke the compiler when using this feature, with
exact instructions where possible. He's not a CS type so vague instructions
won't help him, and I have no physical access to an MS fortran or to him to
be able to figure it out for him.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Rayan Zachariassen

rayan@utai.uucp
rayan@ai.toronto.edu

------------------------------

------------------------------

Date:  5 May 87 23:07 PDT
From: William Daul / McDonnell-Douglas / APD-ASD  <WBD.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA>
Subject: Request for Lead to SCHEDULING Software

Could one or more of you readers point me in the direction of scheduling
software?  What I mean by that is any program that will allow a user to
schedule workers over a 24 hour day, 365 days a year.  Thanks,  --Bi//

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 05 May 87 21:54:58 EDT
From:         Harold C Pritchett <HAROLD%UGA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Dots-Perfect

I recently saw an ad in BYTE for a product called Dots-Perfect. It is a set of
replacement ROMS  for older model Epson  printers (they have versions  for the
FX80, FX100, JX, RX, and MX series printers.) Since I am the owner of an Epson
MX-80FT printer, and would like to upgrade  it without spending a lot of money
on a new printer, I would like to  know if anyone out there has tried this and
what they think of it.

Harold Pritchett
The University of Georgia
HAROLD%UGA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------
Date:     Wed, 6 May 87 11:49 EST
From:     PICARD%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject:  PS/2 as JES3 Console

We are currently using 2 AT/Gs on our mainframe as MVS, JES3, and NCCF
consoles.  IBM has officially dropped support on GCP so we have become
interested in the PS/2 as replacements (whether that was IBM's purpose in
dropping the support or not would be another letter, but I'll try to stay
off my soapbox).

Our AT/G has been an adequate console, but it is much slower than the 3278s
we use as alternate consoles.  Has anyone out there had a chance to hook
one of the PS/2s as a console (preferably JES3 since it seems to be the
slowest)?  I would be interested in any performance data you may have.  It
doesn't have to be very accurate, just an approximation on its speed.

Thanks in advance.

Ron Picard
General Motors Research Labs
Warren, Mich.  48090-9055

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 1987 14:04:11 EST
From: Mike Conmackie <IMC%WINDSOR1@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Disk Optomizer Wanted

Ladies & Gentleman:
     I am looking for a PD/Shareware Disk Optimizer (primarily for hard
disks), anyone have any suggestions?

Mike Conmackie
Systems Programmer
U. of Windsor,
Windsor, Ontario
CANADA
(519) 253-4232x2736

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 06 May 87 17:16:16 EST
From:         John <JOHN%NCSUVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Ampex Seagate Info Wanted

Hello,
  I have an IBM XT with the 10meg seagate drive. I recently bought
a AMPEX 20 meg drive. I burned a new rom and have it installed. My
question is this... What is the terminating resister? and where
can I find it on each of the drives? I assume it's on the Seagate but
I don't know about the Ampex(it was bought as is).
                                           Thanx.. John

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 87 13:02:02 PDT (Thursday)
Subject: 1.2 MB PC AT Drives Loading the Heads on the Media
From: burton.osbunorth@Xerox.COM

I would like to be able to set a jumper on the 1.2 MB drive in my IBM PC AT
so that the heads load onto the media whenever I "close the drive"
door.  If I could do this, I would get much quieter operation, eliminating
the noisy click-click as I select/read/unselect the drive.  (I thought I
got away from that when I stopped using 8" floppies.)

My other floppy drive, a Panasonic, nee' Shugart, SA 455, 360 KB drive works
exactly as I describe it above, and it is much quieter in operation.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Phil Burton
Xerox Corp