Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (05/13/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Tuesday, 12 May 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 35

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

			 Scheduling Software (2 Msgs)
			   IBM's PC TCP/IP
			   Fontasy Graphics
		      CHECK.COM Available on BBS
			   ARC520 (2 Msgs)
			    Disk Optimizer (3 Msgs)
		  Dots Perfect: Partial Information
	 Problems with UUDECODE Pascal Sources from SIMTEL20
		 UUENCODED Files Corrupted by BITNET
  Microsoft Releases Microsoft COBOL 2.2 with Comprehensive Toolkit
     Microsoft Introduces Microsoft BASIC Compiler for XENIX 286
		      Expansion Unit Woes Fixed
		       Mountain Disk Duplicator
		       Disk Duplication Service
			 Slow down the Z-248
    Copyright status of ARC, LZW, and COMPRESS programs questioned
		       PS/2 Manual Availability
			 Rainbow Mailing List
		Moving Files to 3.5 inch Floppy System
		    Curses Library for Microsoft C
		 ARCUTIL does uuencode and ARC on VM
			Disk Use Utility du.c
	      AT Interrupt Lines and Their Uses (2 Msgs)
			  Set Canadian Dates
			      LPTX v6.00
		      UUENCODE/UUDECODE Sources
		      uuencode IS Public Domain
			  ANSI ESCAPE CODES
Today's Queries:
			Problems with SIMTEL20
		      DCA vs. SGML vs. ODA vs. ?
			 Problem Calling BIOS
		    Hercules Mono Graphics and CGA
			Everex 286 Turbo Board
			  Reading the Clock
			  INGRES USER SURVEY
		 Extended keyboards vs. IBM's PC ROM
		    HP Vectra (& Norton Utilities)
			  MS-DOS vs. PC-DOS
		     132 Column Telecomm Software
	 QUANTUS PC Clones from Scientific Storage Technology
		     Video Projector Info Wanted
			    C++ Translator
			Zenith Memory Upgrade (2 Msgs)
			How to Detect an EGA?

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

To: wbd.mdc@office-1.arpa
Subject: Scheduling Software
Date: Fri, 08 May 87 09:20:04 -0500
From: edelheit%ernie.mitre.org@gateway.mitre.org

Bill - Probably most project management packages might do the job.
It seems that you have to develop the tasks & their time frames and
then allocate people as resources.  Do you want something
running under DOS or Xenix?

Regards,

Jeff Edelheit		(edelheit@mitre-gateway.arpa)
The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA   22102		(703) 883-7586

------------------------------

Date:  Tue, 12 May 87 10:26 MST
From:  DMGee@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA

There are number of good project management programs commercially
available.  Two of the more commonly used ones are Harvard Total
Project Manager and Computer Associates' SuperProject.  Our office
uses the latter, and we are quite pleased with it.

SuperProject allows a project to be set up by defining resource and
task information together with task linkages.  The program can
maximize allocation of the resources.  Data views are in Task Gantt,
Resource Gantt and Pert Chart form; costing information is produced
too.  The output information can be converted to Lotus format for
further analysis.  Output can be either to a character printer
(portrait mode using line graphics), to a "sideways" file for long
(dot matrix) pert charts, or to a plotter.  Unlike some other project
managers (e.g. MacProject), the granularity of task assignment can be
down to the hour; specific hour-of-the-day assignments are allowable.

We have no connection with any of the above mentioned products other than as a
satisfied customer of SuperProject.

 - Douglas M. Gee
   Honeywell Bull
   Ottawa Canada

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 May 87 10:00:43 edt
From: lotto%lhasa@hucsc.HARVARD.EDU
To: info_ibmpc@hucsc.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: IBM's PC TCP/IP

>You have to buy the software in quantity, the minimum being 20 copies.
>You pay one fee for 20 copies, etc.

WAIT!

I quote from the announcement:

"To order the IBM TCP/IP for the PC feature, specify the feature
number(s) corresponding to the number of authorized copies of the IBM
TCP/IP for the PC feature desired. If the basic license is ordered,
the charge option selected (monthly license or one-time charge) for
the IBM TCP/IP for the PC feature must be the same (monthly license or
one-time charge) as the option selected for the basic IBM TCP/IP for
VM license."

Does this mean that all PC software purchases MUST be tied to a
specific VM host license?

Also, these are GRADUATED fees. To buy a 50 copy license, you must
purchase BOTH the 20 and 50 copy options...

>also pay a one-time charge of $350 for the master diskette that you
>copy with a special program.

Are these distributed versions then copy protected? If so, can it run
off of a hard disk? Can you backup the hard disk with the program
installed?

All in all, it is not clear that this is particularly useful in
anything but a VM environment. The TELNET probably can call any
telnet server, but what is "ASCII" support, ANSI or just a line
by line glass terminal? Maybe it emulates an LA-100 :-)

I would imagine that the TFTP, SMTP and FTP are full function
client implementations with no servers. So we can be a "one way"
workstation. So what does it do with "FROM"?

Is there ICMP support in the PC implementation?

And what about the Token ring version? I know about rfc 1001, 1002 for
NetBios on TCP/IP, but is there any rfc for TCP/IP on NetBios?  Do
they conform to the NetBios interface in this implementation?  How
about a NetBios compliant version that writes to the hardware for
screen and keyboard IO? (I do not know this is the case, I am just
wondering. Will the license even permit the use of this program on
clones?)

I heard a rumor that TCPINFO@YKTVMV.BitNet might shed some light on
the situation if the IBM gateways are not filtering mail for them.

Disclaimer: My fault. All my fault. Nobody else. I promise.

____________

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!endor!lhasa!lotto
ARPA:  lotto@harvard.harvard.edu or lotto@harvard.ARPA
CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 87 10:56:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: Fontasy Graphics

FONTASY is from PROSOFT, and is something of a MacPaint (but cruder)
program - text in various shapes, styles, fonts and size, plus crude drawing
(lines, circles, boxes). Output to dot matrix or laser.Package costs $60.

call Prosoft @ 800-824-7888 (CA).

Package also does columns - and WYSIWYG - e.g shows fonts, cols
graphics on screen. Compatible with CGA, and Herc. Not EGA, I
believe. Useful for newsletters, that type of stuff.

SCOTT

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 87 10:58:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: CHECK.COM Available on BBS

Eric Neuwirth wanted a copy of CHECK.COM, the PC Mag batch utility for
checking system parameters, e.g 80807, disk space etc. I have a copy, and be-
lieve it is on our local PC UG RBBS: (203) 886-5265. if it is no there, leave
me a msg and I will put it up.
If that is a problem, call me at (203) 440-5327 and I will arrange to mail
you a copy.

SCOTT DANIELS

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 87 11:01:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: ARC520

Ross Bettinger had a problem running ARC520, the file archiver ?  The
distribution version, the one you get from BBS', etc (and SEA I
suppose as well), de-pcarc itself to produce the actual run file,
ARC.EXE.Run that- but first delete ARC.COM, as DOS looks first for a
COM file, then EXE, then BAT. So do it this way ...

A>ARC
A> ... unpacking
A>ren ARC.COM ARC520.COM    ( you may want to save the pack version)
A>ARC    (n ow run ARC)
A>ARC v test    (this lists contents of a file TEST.ARC)
A>ARC e test    ( extracts everything)
A>ARC e test *.doc  (only extracts the *.doc files)]

GOOD LUCK... SCOTT

------------------------------

From: rjb@mitre-bedford.ARPA
Date: Mon, 11 May 87 13:18:11 EDT
Sender: rjb@mitre-bedford.ARPA

I have solved my problem with ARC520.COM, with a little help from my
friends (all those generous people out there who responded with e-mail
and phone messages).

I used Kermit in server mode on ULTRIX to download to my IBM PC/XT,
where I used MSKERMIT to receive the ARC file. I did not use the "-i"
flag on the ULTRIX end to maintain the fidelity of the transmission.
thus, I believe, CR got expanded to CR/LF, and the unpacking
didn't...

I got around the problem by using XMODEM, but in the future, i will
use "Kermit -i" on the ULTRIX end.

For your troubles, I will reward you with a little joke: What do you
call the pregnancy of a comedienne? Jestation! (ok, a very small
joke...)

ross bettinger (rjb@MITRE-bedford.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 87 11:03:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: Disk Optimizer

Mike Conmachioe wants a Disk Opt, public Domain- try DOG, available on
Bopb Klahn's Micro-Solutions BBS: 302-764-7522.
I have used it- seems to work ok, but I also used MACE and SoftLogic's
Disk OPt.

SCOTT

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 8 May 87 13:58 CST
From:     <SIELAFF%SIMVAX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

In an article in the Sept 16, 1986 issue of PC Magazine, they described
a program called "Disk Organizer" which they say is available as
shareware.  The address given is as follows:

        Soft GAMs Software
        G. Allen Morris III
        1411 10th Ave
        Oakland, CA 94606

I have not tried this particular program, so would be interested in
the experiences of anyone who has tried it.

Bruce Sielaff
University of Minnesota
<Sielaff@simvax.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 May 87 09:08:36 EDT
From: Jeff_MacKie-Mason@um.cc.umich.edu

Regarding the request for a PD/shareware disk optimizing program, I have
been using DOG (current version 1.01) for about a year now, with great
satisfaction.  It is relatively fast, has never damaged anything, and has
several different types of optimization available as options (in fact,
you can go to the trouble of specifying the exact order of every single
file on your disk, if you want, or you can just let everything be ordered
according to one of about four default methods).  Another utility, called
EFFIC, reports the degree of fragmentation on a disk, and thus is a good
check to see when a re-optimization is in order.

I am not sure if these are available over the network (e.g., on SIMTEL),
but they are both widely available on PC oriented BBS's.

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 8 May 87 12:55 EDT
From:  Hess@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject: Dots Perfect: Partial Information

I don't have one of the Dresselhaus ROMs but one of our customers did.
So I don't know about reliability, installation, etc.  But I do know
that the output does look better, and that the widths of the PS
characters are different from the widths of the PS set on a standard
Epson.  You may have to update the width tables in whatever WP you use
once you get the new ROMS.

Brian

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 8 May 87 10:16 CDT
From: "Many men smoke, but Fu Manchu" <STEVER%sp.unisys.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject:  Problems with UUDECODE Pascal Sources from SIMTEL20

Like Carl David in issue 34, I had problems getting started with UUDECODE.
I thought to compile UUDECODE with my Turbo, but got a problem with an
undefined label that I PRESUMED to be fatal (I never attempted using the
.COM file generated, another user gave me a compiled version of the pgm.

	When I ran a file through it, I found that UUDECODE couldn't get
by blank lines in the file, which may be the problem that Carl is running
in to.  If the file being processed is too big for your editor to properly
deal with on your P.C. (and a larger system isn't handy), the easiest way I
found to get rid of blank lines is to use Norton's Utility, and search the
file for a "0D 0A 0D 0A" bit sequence, and get rid of one pair of carriage
return / line feeds.  This avoided the creation of a backup version of the
uuencoded file, which might flood your memory or your floppy disk.

	I think that the next version of UUDECODE should not choke on that
ASCII character sequence...

David Stever
Unisys, Eagan Minnesota

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 May 87 15:32:28 EDT
From: Russell Nelson <bh01%CLUTX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
To: chadm1@uconnvm.bitnet
Subject: UUENCODED Files Corrupted by BITNET

Someone on bitnet insists upon removing trailing spaces from uuencoded files.
Probably a result of using card images, i.e. padding everything to 80
columns with spaces, and then removing them later.  If you go through
the file(s) that you have downloaded, and ensure that every line is the
same length by padding the short ones with spaces, you'll be all set.
-russ

GEnie: BH01
BITNET:BH01@CLUTX
uucp:  decvax!sii!trixie!gould!clutx!bh01

------------------------------

From: microsof!margc@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Date: Fri May 08 20:50:20 1987
Subject: Microsoft Releases Microsoft COBOL 2.2 with Comprehensive Toolkit

   REDMOND, WASHINGTON, May 1, 1987--Microsoft Corporation today
announced the release of the Microsoft(R) COBOL Compiler Version 2.2
in both MS-DOS(R) and XENIX(R) versions. The compiler now comes with
Microsoft COBOL Tools--a complete set of development tools and
utilities, including a symbolic debugger, cross-reference generator,
menu handler, and mouse utility.
   Microsoft COBOL Compiler Version 2.2 comes with Microsoft COBOL
Tools, a comprehensive set of development tools that significantly
reduces program development time. The toolkit includes a symbolic
debugger, cross-reference utility, menu handler, and mouse utility.
The toolkit used to be licensed separately, at a suggested retail
price of $350 for the MS-DOS version and $450 for the XENIX version.
Now licensees of Microsoft COBOL Compiler Version 2.2 will receive
the toolkit at no additional charge.
   ViewCob, Microsoft's interactive symbolic COBOL debugger, helps
programmers debug their programs quickly and efficiently by letting
them analyze all aspects of their programs at the source-code level.
Using ViewCob, programmers can observe both the flow of execution and
the contents of variables while their programs are running. And,
because ViewCob is an interactive debugger, errors can be corrected
interactively, without recompiling. One of the unique features of
ViewCob is that it lets programmers track several aspects of program
execution simultaneously. As many as 10 windows can be opened at
once, allowing programmers to view source statements, data-item
values, breakpoints, memory dumps, and execution history all at the
same time. A trace option highlights each source statement as it's
executed--or users can set breakpoints and examine source text more
thoroughly. Other features include:

   o Run-time error trapping
   o An easy-to-learn, menu-driven user interface
   o On-line help messages
   o Color display options for users with color monitors

   CobRef, the cross-reference utility included in the tool kit, lets
users generate detailed cross-reference listings of a program's
variables, files, and procedure calls at the source-code level. For
each item listed, CobRef provides the name, type, and line number
where it is defined, and lines where it is used or referenced.
   Microsoft Menu Handler gives programmers a menu-driven interface
that can be incorporated directly into applications to make them more
user-friendly. It allows menus with up to 14 commands, each
associated with a different program or subprogram. When a user
selects a command, Menu Handler will call and execute its associated
program.
   CbMouse (available only with the MS-DOS version of the compiler)
makes it easy to develop applications using the Microsoft Mouse as an
input device.  When linked with the COBOL run-time module, CbMouse
activates the mouse as an input device, providing a data-item
interface to COBOL and translating pixel coordinates to COBOL
row-and-column coordinates.
   With the Microsoft COBOL Compiler, users can choose from four
different file structures:

   o Indexed Sequential Access Method (ISAM)--a fast, efficient B+ decision-
tree structure with support for split and multiple keys. A rebuild utility
allows quick recovery of damaged ISAM files. Microsoft's ISAM is one of the
fastest on the market.
   o Sequential--the fastest way to access text and data in any combination
   o Line sequential--handles text in a line-by-line format (compatible with
most text editors)
   o Relative--allows random access by record number; interactive deleting;
and updating and cross-referencing by key, across files

   The Microsoft COBOL Compiler includes a powerful, easy-to-use
screen- management section. Special syntax streamlines screen
formatting, making it easy to position the cursor in a specific
location, protect and unprotect fields, define screen attributes, and
associate screen fields with data items.  The screen section also
lets users enhance screens with color and underlining and ACCEPT or
DISPLAY them with a single statement.
   The General Services Administration has certified Microsoft COBOL
Compiler at the High Level and as being completely compliant with the
ANSI 74 standard.  This means that it is compatible with all standard
mainframe versions of COBOL, allowing applications to be easily
transported between microcomputers and mainframes.
   For large programs, the compiler includes an overlay
memory-management module that meets Level 2 ANSI requirements.
Because the run-time environment handles overlays, support from the
linker is unnecessary. The compiler further conserves memory space by
executing subroutine occupies memory space. A CANCEL statement
releases subroutine memory to the system.
   The compilation efficiency of the Microsoft COBOL Compiler also
contributes to its ability to handle large programs. The compiler
generates approximately 8 bytes of pseudocode for each line of source
code. Each compiled COBOL source module can contain up to 64K of
pseudocode, or about 8,000 lines of source code.
   For speed-critical portions of a program, the Microsoft COBOL
Compiler lets users link assembly-language routines into the run-time
environment. Batch file utilities further simplify the use of
assembly-language subroutines. The Microsoft COBOL Compiler's file-
and record-locking capabilities make it suitable for use in a
networked environment under either MS-DOS or XENIX.
   Minimum system requirements for Microsoft COBOL Compiler Version
2.2 are an IBM(R) personal computer or compatible with 256K of memory
and one double-sided disk drive. For the MS-DOS version, MS-DOS 2.0
or higher is required; for the XENIX version, XENIX 286 is required.
   The new compiler is available now at all Microsoft retail outlets
for a suggested price of $700 for the MS-DOS version and $995 for the
XENIX version.  Users of Microsoft COBOL Compiler 2.1 who licensed
the product after April 1, 1987, are entitled to a free update; those
who licensed Version 2.1 before that date can upgrade for just $50.
Users of earlier versions can upgrade for $150.
   Users of Microsoft COBOL Tools will receive a free update. For
more information, contact Microsoft Customer Service at 800-426-9400
(in Washington State and Alaska call 206-882-8088) or write to them
at 16011 NE 36th Way, Box 97017, Redmond, Washington 98073-9717.

Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, MS-DOS, and XENIX are registered trademarks of
Microsoft Corporation.
IBM is a registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.

------------------------------

From: microsof!tedre@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Date: Thu May 07 17:04:03 1987
Subject: Microsoft Introduces Microsoft BASIC Compiler for XENIX 286

   REDMOND, WASHINGTON, May 1, 1987--Microsoft Corporation today
announced the release of the Microsoft(R) BASIC Compiler for personal
computers running the XENIX(R) System V/286 operating system. The new
product allows programs written in the MS-DOS(R) version of Microsoft
BASIC and the GW-BASIC Compiler, as well as those written in the
Microsoft BASIC Interpreter for the XENIX environment, to be compiled
with little or no modification.
   This feature makes it easy for software developers to port their
MS-DOS- based applications to the XENIX multi-user environment. Using
the Microsoft BASIC Compiler also results in faster execution:
compiled programs will run three to ten times faster than those
created with the Microsoft BASIC Interpreter.
   The Microsoft BASIC Compiler includes support for ISAM (Indexed
Sequential Access Method), allowing data to be accessed more quickly.
The BASIC Compiler also lets software developers create and
distribute stand-alone programs without paying any run-time fees and
without requiring their users to have a copy of BASIC in order to run
them.
   Microsoft also has released updates of four other languages for
the XENIX 286 environment: Microsoft BASIC Interpreter Version 5.41,
Microsoft FORTRAN Compiler Version 3.31, Microsoft Pascal Compiler
Version 3.31, and Microsoft COBOL Compiler Version 2.2.
   All five products require 256K available user memory and the XENIX
System V/286 operating system. The Microsoft BASIC Compiler,
Microsoft BASIC Interpreter, and Microsoft COBOL Compiler require one
double-sided disk drive; the Microsoft FORTRAN Compiler and Microsoft
Pascal Compiler require two double-sided disk drives.
   The suggested retail prices for the Microsoft BASIC Compiler,
Microsoft FORTRAN Compiler, and Microsoft Pascal Compiler are $695.
The updated BASIC Interpreter has a suggested retail price of $350,
and the new Microsoft COBOL Compiler has a retail price of $995. The
products are available now at all Microsoft retail outlets.
   For more information, contact Microsoft Customer Service at
800-426-8088 (in Washington State and Alaska call 206-882-8088), or
write to them at 16011 NE 36th Way, Box 97017, Redmond, Washington,
98073-9717.
   Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ "MSFT") develops, markets, and
supports a wide range of software for business and professional use,
including operating systems, languages, and application programs, as
well as books and hardware for the microcomputer marketplace.

Date:	Fri, 8 May 87 11:32:43 PDT
From:     ROME%ORN.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Expansion Unit Woes Fixed

Being an employee of a major IBM customer helps. They actually solve
problems for you. I was having problems writing some files to my IBM
hard disk which is in an IBM Expansion Unit. The problems seemed to
only occur when programs used a lot of memory.

        The solution is that there are switches on the card that
drives the Expansion unit. Since it is referred to ny IBM as an
"extension card", I did not think it was relevant to my problem, but
it was.  It turns out that the switches set the upper limit of memory
that can be read from the main unit and put into the expansion unit.
The switches were set for 256k instead of 640k. The problems were
fixed when I reset the switches.  HOWEVER, 640k is the maximum value
that can be used. This means that any program that reads the video
RAM and writes it to disk WILL NOT WORK!!!  Some well-known programs
apparently do this (I think the IBM person mentioned Framework). If
you have a hard disk in an expansion unit, BEWARE.

[I have run into this problem before. The failure is only for DMA the
processor can access memory in the expansion unit, but you can't do
DMA to or from this memory. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 8 May 87 16:00:00-EDT
From: Paul G. Weiss <PGW@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Mountain Disk Duplicator

We have a Mountain Disk Duplicator #3250 which we are happy with.  It
can stack up to 100 diskettes, duplicate in either double density or
quad (although a different controller is needed for quad).  You can also
store your diskette images on the hard disk for "batch" duplicating:
i.e. do 50 of disk a followed by 50 of disk b.  You can buy a 300 disk
stacker if 100 is inadequate.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 12:57:10 EDT
From: ihnp4!hsi!tankus@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Ed Tankus)
Subject: Disk Duplication Service

You might try a diskette duplication service. My company has used the same
one for about three years with (my opinion) good results. The rates are quite
reasonable.

I will be glad to provide a contact and address if anyone is interested. If
there are enough replies, I can post the information.

Cheers!

Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 87 00:48:13 EDT
From: Russell Nelson <bh01%CLUTX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Slow down the Z-248

Ack.  You don't need to reboot, and it IS documented in the Tech Ref.  Use

      -> O 64,b1              ; that is an ALPHA O
      -> G                    ; to return to your regularly scheduled program.

to slow down, and the same using b2 instead of b1 to speed up again.

-russ

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 1987  11:46 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
To:   INFO-HZ100@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA, INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Cc:   Info-Cpm@SIMTEL20.ARPA, Info-Micro@BRL.ARPA
Subject: Copyright status of ARC, LZW, and COMPRESS programs questioned

After announcing the availability of a recent update of SEA's ARC
program, I received the following message which raises serious doubts
as to the validity of the copyrights of SEA, Phil Katz, and Vernon
Berg's ARC programs and well as other LZW-type compression programs
and the status of the popular Unix "compress" program.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ

Date:     Sat, 9 May 87 22:03 EST
From:     <89RBW%WILLIAMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  PS/2 Manual Availability

There was an article in the digest a while back about the PS/2 manuals,
and the availability dates.  Well, I ordered them, and the people at
IBM weren't sure at all when I would get them.  That was just for the
Model 50/60 manual and the BIOS interface manual.  From that, I would
postpone the release of the other manuals for a couple more weeks, at
least.

-Rich

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 87 04:14:18 GMT
From: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM

Try "Info-DEC-Micro@GSB-HOW.STANFORD.EDU" (as usual, to get added to the
list, send your request to "Info-DEC-Micro-Request@GSB-HOW.STANFORD.EDU").

Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109
uucp: {alliant,think,wjh12}!maynard!campbell        +1 617 367 6846

------------------------------

Date:         Sun, 10 May 1987 10:03:55 MST
From:         Villy G Madsen <VMADSEN%UALTAVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Moving Files to 3.5 inch Floppy System

There are two approaches being suggested to handle the problem of
data transfer between Pc's with incompatible disk drives. The first
is the file transfer technique. This is addressed by IBMs new
product, and a product called File Shuttle - both of these products
use the parallel port.

The other approach is one that logically connects the disk drives of
a second computer to the first. There are a number of ways of doing
this. Toshiba does it with hardware, or one can use a LAN.. In many
cases this is a rather expensive approach.

A cheaper alternative are products that tie two computers to-gether
using RS-232. I am aware of two products that do this, both make the
drives of the second computer logically available to the first. In
other words, any operation supported by DOS calls can be performed on
the remote drives. Programs can be loaded, files copied from one
computer to the other using Copy, XCOPY or BACKUP.

One of the products is called BROOKLAND BRIDGE, I don't know the
pricing or who carries it.

The other product is call MadDrive and cost $CDN 75.00 or $US 60.00.
(Postal or bank MO) MadDrive is available from MadHouse Systems Inc.

                     MadHouse Systems Inc
                    Box 285, Beaumont Alberta
                      Canada T0H 0H0

                                    Villy Madsen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 03:31:17 PDT
From: cdp!jeff@parcvax.Xerox.COM
Subject: Curses Library for Microsoft C

	     PC Curses - A Curses Library for Microsoft C

PC Curses is an implementation of the Unix curses package for
the MS-DOS environment.  The package, which is being distributed
as shareware, has the following features:

* System V (terminfo) curses compatible;
* Supports both BIOS and direct screen updating (no ansi driver required);
* Includes documentation and demonstration programs;
* Compatible with Microsoft C compiler (version 4.0);
* Runs under MS-DOS 2.0 or greater;
* Runs on any IBM PC or PC compatible (Hercules, CGA, EGA, etc.);
* Source code is available separately to registered users.

To get a copy of PC Curses, send $5 (or one 5-1/4 inch floppy
with a return label and postage), to the address below.
Information on registration, source, redistribution, and pricing
is included in the package.

        Jeff Dean
        710 Chimalus
        Palo Alto, CA  94306

	uucp:     {parcvax,hplabs}!cdp!jeff
	internet: jeff@ads.arpa

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 11 May 87 09:43:10 ULG
Subject: ARCUTIL does uuencode and ARC on VM
To:           CHADM1%UCONNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
From:         Andre PIRARD <A-PIRARD%BLIULG12.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

There is a marvelous program ARCUTIL by John S. Fisher <FISHER@RPICICGE>
It will perform UUD UUE UNSQ UNCR UNARC and UNLIB on the VM system itself.
I've tried it without problem with SIMTEL20 archives.

------------------------------

From: tom@cogpsi.UUCP (Tom Vijlbrief)
Subject: Disk Use Utility du.c
Date: 8 May 87 12:06:22 GMT

This (MSC 4.00) C program implements a Un*x like du program.
It computes the size of (sub)directory trees.

Tom Vijlbrief
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23			Phone: +31 34 63 14 44
3769 DE  Soesterberg		E-mail: tnosoes!cogpsi!tom@mcvax.cwi.nl
The Netherlands				{seismo|...}!mcvax!tnosoes!cogpsi!tom

PS: It would be nice if someone ON EUNET send me the sources of the Unix
    patch program, Thanks.

[DU.C has been added to the lending library. -wab]

------------------------------

From: mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason)
Subject: AT Interrupt Lines and Their Uses
Date: 8 May 87 20:53:42 GMT

  Here is a list of I/O address and Hardware interrupt lines:

     Address (HEX)       Device
     000-0FF             Internal I/O
     000-01F             DMA (8237A-5)
     020-03F             Interrupt controller(8259A)
     040-043             System Timer (8253-5)
     040-05F    AT       timer (8254)
     060-063             PPI Status (8255A-5)
     060-06F    AT       8042 (Keyboard)
     070-07F    AT       real-time clock, NMI mask
     080-083             DMA Page Registers
     080-09F    AT       DMA page registers (74612)
     0A0-0AF             NMI Registers
     0A0-0BF    AT       Int controller #2 (8259A)
     0C0-0C0             Diagnostic LED's (Zenith)
     0C1-0CF             Reserved
     0C0-0DF    AT       DMA controller #2
     0E0-0E3             68A21 Parallel
     0E4-0EF             Reserved
     0F0-0FF    AT       Math Coprocessor
     1F0-1F8    AT       Fixed Disk
     200-20F             Game I/O
     210-217             Expansion Unit
     220-24F             Reserved
     278-27F             LPT2:
     2F0-2F7             Reserved
     2F8-2FF             COM2:
     300-31F             Prototype Card
     320-32F             Hard Disk (#1 @ 320; #2 @ 322)
     360-36F             reserved
     378-37F             LPT1 (Printer)
     380-38C             SDLC comm.
     390-399             Binary comm. 2
     3A0-3A9             Binary comm. 1
     3B0-3BF             Monochrome card or LPT2  (3B.C.-3BE)
     3C0-3CF             Reserved
     3D0-3DF             Color Graphics card
     3E0-3E7             Reserved
     3F0-3F7             Floppy Disk (3F2-3F5)
     3F8-3FF             COM1:

  INT 8 thru 0FH - Vectored Hardware Lines (in IBM at least)
     In IBM, these 8 interrupts are generated in
  response to IRQ 0 through IRQ 7 (if enabled via port 21).
        IRQ0           Timer interrupt
        IRQ1           Keyboard interrupt
        IRQ2           expansion board
        IRQ3           COM2
        IRQ4           COM1
        IRQ5           hard disk
        IRQ6           floppy disk
        IRQ7           printer

   On the AT, IRQ2 is chained to a second 8259 with the following:
        IRQ8           Real time clock
        IRQ9           software redirected to IRQ2
        IRQA           reserved
        IRQB           reserved
        IRQC           reserved
        IRQD           coprocessor
        IRQE           Fixed disk controller
        IRQF           reserved

Nick Mason

------------------------------

From: mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman)
Date: 9 May 87 02:30:47 GMT

I only received one reply containing useful information.  Here it is:

   From Ralf.Brown@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu Tue May  5 18:30:54 1987

	IRQ0	timer tick
	IRQ1	keyboard
	IRQ2	IRQ8 through IRQ15 go through here
	IRQ3	COM1
	IRQ4	COM2
	IRQ5	second printer port
	IRQ6	floppy disk
	IRQ7	printer port on MDA
	IRQ8	real-time clock--alarm and 1/1024 sec interrupt
	IRQ9	LAN adapter, redirected to INT0A (== IRQ2) by BIOS
	IRQ10	spare
	IRQ11	spare
	IRQ12	spare
	IRQ13	Coprocessor interrupt
	IRQ14	hard disk
	IRQ15	spare

additionally, IRQ7 gets all the interrupt requests from IRQ8 thru IRQ15.

You can check which interrupts are pending by querying the interrupt
controllers.  The first controller (for IRQ0 thru 7) is at I/O ports 20h and
21h, the second at A0h and A1h.

	MOV	AL,0Bh
	OUT	20h,AL
	JMP	$+2
	IN	AL,20h
will get the pending interrupt mask from the first controller.  Bit 0 of
AL is 1 if IRQ0 pending, bit 1 for IRQ1, etc.  Change the 20h to A0h for
IRQ8 thru 15.

	MOV	AL,enable_mask
	OUT	21h,AL
will disable IRQ0 if bit 0 of AL is 1, IRQ1 if bit 1 is 1, etc.  Use A1h for
IRQ8 thru 15.

If you are handling the hardware interrupt yourself, you must tell the
appropriate controller when you are done and another interrupt of the same
or lower priority is to be allowed.  The following code fragment tells the
controller that the current interrupt is done.  (Apparently, there is a way
to tell the controller that a specific interrupt has been handled, such as
when a high-priority interrupt handler wants to stop lower-priority
interrupts that occur while it executes, but I have never seen code for
this)
	MOV	AL,20h
	OUT	20h,AL
(or OUT A0h,AL for the second controller)

ARPA:  RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU               USnail: Ralf Brown
AT&T:  (412) 268-3053 (school)                    Computer Science Department
                                                  Carnegie-Mellon University
DISCLAIMER?  Who ever said I claimed anything?    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
"Teaching COBOL ought to be regarded as a criminal act" --- Edsger Dijkstra

--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman						    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 87  2:54 +0600
From: Michael Doob <mdoob%cc.uofm.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Set Canadian Dates

Put
country=046
as a line in your config.sys file to get a "Canadian" date.  It is actually
the code for Sweden, but the date is like the Canadian one and has the
form 1987-05-11.  Bonus: ordering files by date will put it in proper
chronological order.

Michael Doob

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 May 87 11:10:06 GMT
From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS - Chinhae <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subject: LPTX v6.00

    I recently snarfed a copy of LPTX v6.00 from the archives at SIMTEL20.
his version seems to fix many problems that were present in the v3.xx version
currently in the Lending Library.

    I have tested this version with DBase III and WordStar 2000.  Both worked
fine.  (Why anyone would want to test it with WS 2000 is beyond me, but ...)

    Program follows:

[LPTX.ASM has been updated in the lending library. It is one of our most
popular exports. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 May 87 12:07:18 GMT
From: Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS - Chinhae <hicks@walker-emh.arpa>
Subject: UUENCODE/UUDECODE Sources

Following are the modified programs for UUENCODE and UUDECODE.  These
programs were compiler with MicroSoft C v3.0 and run under PC-DOS 3.1...

The programs seem to provide an encoding/decoding function...  At least,
these programs are the inverse of each other.  What was uuencode'd with
one will be uudecode'd properly.

The UUENCODE program is called thusly:  uuencode [Input-f-n] > [output-f-n]
It assumes that you want file permissions of 644 for the input file name.

The UUDECODE program is called thusly:  uudecode [input-f-n].  The output
file is whatever file is in the first line of the encoded text.  If this is
a unix(tm) file name, you may have to edit the file name to make it fit
under DOS ...

[UUENCODE.C has been updated in the info-ibmpc lending library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 1987 14:45:39 PDT
Subject: uuencode IS Public Domain
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@C.ISI.EDU>

The info-ibmpc lending library has contained the Berkeley Unix
uuencode and uudecode (Combined into the file UUENCODE.C) for two and
a half years. Thanks to Gregory Hicks who shipped the file all the
way to Korea and converted it to run under MS-DOS and compile under
Microsoft C.

This is what the lending library is all about. One person contributes
something and another improves on it and gives it back to the
library.

Several people have whined as they were offended that the library
contained Berkeley Unix source code. I won't publish discussions of
BSD copyright in info-ibmpc. If anyone is convinced this code is not
public domain let me know by direct mail.

The person who submitted uuencode/uudecode in 1984 claimed
authorship and claimed the program was in the public domain. If anyone
has a counter claim let me know. I don't know the author's last name
Mark are you still listening?

Date:  7 Sep 1984 10:14:57 PDT
From: ihnp4!cbosgd!mark @ ucb-vax.arpa
Subject: re: wanted: uudecode

Here are the sources to uuencode and uudecode.  They come with 4BSD
and are indeed in the public domain.  (I wrote them while at Berkeley.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue 12 May 1987 13:39:32 EDT
From: <DIGITS@LL.ARPA>
Subject: ANSI ESCAPE CODES

Hi There

Michael Hunter asked about the ANSI escape sequences.  I have a list
of most of them which I will list. I'm sure there are more but these
are all I know.  Also some companies (DEC for instance) add their own
codes to the list.

CURSOR CONTROL:

NAME                          FUNCTION

Cursor Position(CUP)          ESC[#;#H

    Moves cursor to position specified by parameters. First parameter
    is line number and second is column. If no parameter given then
    cursor is moved to HOME.

Cursor Up(CUU)                ESC[#A

    Moves cursor up # lines. Default value is 1. Sequence is ignored
    if cursor is on top line.

Cursor Down(CUD)              ESC[#B

    Same as above

Cursor Forward(CUF)           ESC[#C

    Moves cursor forward # columns.  Default value is 1.  Sequence
    ignored if cursor is in rightmost column.

Cursor Backward(CUB)          ESC[#D

    Same as above

Horizontal/Vertical Pos(HVP)  ESC[#;#f

    Same as CUP

device Status Report(DSR)     ESC[6n

    The console driver will output a CPR sequence on receipt of DSR
    (see below)

Cursor Position Report(CPR)   ESC[#;#R

    Reports current cursor position thru standard input device. First
    parameter specifies current line and second is current column.

Save Cursor Position(SCP)     ESC[s

    Current cursor position is saved. Can be restored with RCP
    sequence.

Restore Cursor Position(RCP)  ESC[u

    Restores cursor to value when console driver received the SCP
    sequence.

ERASING:

Erase in Display(ED)          ESC[2J

    Erases all of screen. Cursor goes home.

Erase in Line(EL)             ESC[k

    Erases from cursor to end of line including cursor position.

MODES of OPERATION:

Set Graphics Rendition(SGR)   ESC[#;...;#m

    Sets character attribute specified by parameters. All characters
    that follow will have the attributes specified until the next
    SGR.

    0    All attributes off.(normal white on black)
    5    Blink On.
    7    Reverse Video On.
    8    Cancel On. (Invisible)
    30   Black Foreground
    31   Red
    32   Green
    33   Yellow
    34   Blue
    35   Magenta
    36   Cyan
    37   White

Set Mode(SM)                  ESC[=#h

    Invokes screen width of type specified by parameter.

    0    40 x 25 Black and White
    1    40 x 25 Color
    2    80 x 25 Black and White
    3    80 x 25 Color
    4    320 x 200 Color
    5    320 x 200 Black and White
    6    640 x 200 Black and White
    7    Wrap at end of line.

Reset Mode(RM)                ESC[=#1

    Same as SM except parameter 7 will reset wrap at end of line
    mode.

KEYBOARD KEY REASSIGNMENT

ESC[#;#;...#p or ESC["string";p or ESC[#;"string";#;#;"string";#p
or any other combination of strings and decimal numbers.

    First ASCII code in sequence defines the code being mapped.
    Remaining numbers define sequence of ASCII codes generated when
    this key is intercepted. If first code is zero (NULL), then the
    first and second code make up an ASCII redefinition.

EXAMPLES:

    1)Reassign Q key to the A key

    ESC[65;81p     "A" becomes "Q"

    2)Reassign F10 key to a DIR command followed by a carriage return.

    ESC[0;68;"DIR";13p

    The 0;68 is the extended ASCII code for the F10 key; 13 decimal
    is a carriage return.

I hope this helps. I'm sure there are more but I don't know what they
are. Also, the above codes work fine on my IBM clone but all of then
may not be implemented on other computers.

Lou DiPalma
MIT Lincoln Labs
Lexington, Ma.

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 08 May 87 10:36:30 MEZ
From:         Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Problems with SIMTEL20
To:           IBMPC discussion group <INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU>

I am experiencing problems when downloading files from SIMTEL20.
Everything is OK. Almost.  When I get some file I can UUDECODE them.
And if it is source code it usually compiles ok.  But when it is
ARCed end I dearc it is only almost legible.  Every 50 to 100
characters I get some garbage.  It seems to have to do with the
storage of repetitions in ARC format.  I usually get multiple
occurrence of characters which should not be there.  Something like
"coul}}} ot".  I suspect that one character gets mistranslated in the
ASCII-EBCDIC struggle.  Does anybody out there know of this problem.
Or can anybody on SIMTEL20 send me a file with just one line
containing all the 64 characters used by UUENCODE in the right order.
Then I can find out which one gets mistranslated.

E. Neuwirth

A4422DAB  at  AWIUNI11 in  BITNET.

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 8 May 87 12:37 EDT
From:  Hess@MIT-Multics.ARPA
Subject:  DCA vs. SGML vs. ODA vs. ?

I have a broad question about mark-up languages and document content
description languages, but it requires two pieces of background
information:

1) Everybody is waving and shouting about these new "document content"
languages.  There's DCA, and there's SGML, and there's ODA.  Supposedly,
the government (or military?)  wants one of them, IBM wants one of them,
the Association of American Publishers wants one of them,...  Sheesh.

2) Mark of the Unicorn's FinalWord II has used an implicit document
content scheme for a while (as has Unilogic's Scribe).  You can be as
high-level as you like with those @-commands, because you can make up
new ones to fit your document.  Alas, you can get as low-level as you
like with those @-commands, too, reducing them to nothing more than
typeface and spacing specifiers!

So here's the question:  If you know something comparative about the
"big three" mark-up/content languages, could you tell me what kind of
conversion or new structure we ought to put into FinalWord II in order
to be as useful as possible to the academic and military communities
(who, presumably, are sponsoring you reading this)?  We'd like to be as
much use as possible, but less than 10% of our user base has asked for
standardized mark-up compatibility, and each person has a different
opinion of what's important.

Any suggestions, either general or specific?  Please reply to me
directly; if I can distill something I'll post it.

Thanks.

Brian

------------------------------

Subject: Problem Calling BIOS
From: oxy!bagpiper@csvax.caltech.edu (Michael Paul Hunter)
Date: 08 May 87 18:54:42 PST

Machine  : IBM PC & IBM XT (symptoms the same) w/640K & Mono Card (IBM)
Compiler : Datalight C  Ver 3.01

I have a piece of code that looks like this:

REGS   reg ;

 .
 .
 .

void setpos(x,y)
int x ;
int y ;
{
 reg.ax = 0x0200 ;
 reg.bx = 0x0000 ;
 reg.cx = 0x0000 ;
 reg.dx = y*256+x ;
 reg.si = 0x0000 ;
 reg.di = 0x0000 ;
 int86(0x10,&reg,&reg) ; }

This should set the cursor position at (x,y) from the upper corner, but it
doesn't.  In fact a setpos(x,y) followed by a printf(" garbage ") acts as if
setpos is never called.  But I checked and it is called.  Does anyone out
there have any ideas.  I am not sure 100% that the board is IBM it could be
herc....I assume that could cause some headaches.  The disp package in the
datalight library comes up with the same results.

          .
         .           <--- The Great Highland Bagpipe
        . . .             Las Gaitas
       . . .
      . . .            Michael Hunter
     . . .             ARPA  : oxy!bagpiper@csvax.caltech.edu
     -----             BITNET: oxy!bagpiper@hamlet.bitnet
    |     |            CSNET : oxy!bagpiper%csvax.caltech.edu@relay.cs.net
   |   I   |          UUCP  : ....{seismo, ruthers, ames}!cit-vax!oxy!bagpiper
    |  I  |            usmail: box 241
     -----                     Occidental College
       I                       Los Angeles, CA   90041
      _I_               Note: If you know the word for Bagpipe in a language
                              that is not listed...Tell Me.

------------------------------

Subject: Hercules Mono Graphics and CGA
Date: Fri, 08 May 87 23:15:03 EDT
From: evwong@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

Hi folks.  I have a li'l problem.  I have two monitors on a system with
which I work, one hooked to a Hercules monochrome graphics card and the
other hooked to a CGA.  Oh, the monitors are a Zenith amber, and a Princeton
HX12, respectively.  My problem is that I cannot get the mono monitor to
show herc graphics.  As an example the microsoft word (v2.0) option /c
allows it to work on the mono monitor, but the usual mode and the /h option
will not, all I get is garbage on both the mono screen and the color.
Is there some program or some way I can get around this without having to
physically remove the CGA every time I need a Herc--graphic program.?

Thanks much!
-evwong

P.S.  Where can I get 120ns or better 256K DRAMs for CHEAP?

[See adds for Microprocessors Unlimited in Beggs OK in Byte or PC Week
classified ads. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 May 87 00:56:46 edt
From: Don Barry <cmpbsps%gitpyr.gatech.edu@relay.cs.net>
Subject: Everex 286 Turbo Board

I have had mixed success using the EVEREX Turbo 286 board.  One board I
have installed occasionally fails when its speed is altered by the utility
provided with it, and neither board properly handles the 80287 coprocessor
with Microsoft Fortran 4.0.  Does anyone have any idea why this is so?  If
coprocessor is disabled, it runs fine, and also runs 287 code generated by
former compilers.  The 287 code generated by the new compiler runs much
faster on true-blue machines and others with the coprocessor, so why would
it fail on the Everex?  Does the Everex use NMI for 80287 control?  The
problem is sporadic, happening after a second or two of calculation, and is
not the chip itself - I've tested it, and slowed its clock speed to 5 Mhz with
identical results.  Using the /FPc option, which results in called 287
instructions, rather than inline, and thus slows down the calculations,
usually causes a slightly longer interval before machine lockup.

Don Barry
Georgia Institute of Technology

------------------------------

Date: 1987 May 10   18:31 EDT
From: (Bob Babcock)   PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: Reading the Clock

I inherited a multi-function board which includes a battery powered
clock.  While the original software disk is long gone, I did get a
device driver which works.  However, it apparently disables interrupts
at every clock tick, because it causes communications programs to
miss characters, even at 1200 baud.  I believe the hardware must be
standard because when I booted a borrowed copy of DOS 3.something,
it read the clock without using the driver.  Can anyone tell me what
I/O address the clock is at, in what format the time is returned,
and what resolution the clock is likely to have?  The device driver
only has 1 second resolution, and I would like to do better for a
particular real time application.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 87 23:46 +0600
From: Rainer Kossmann <kossmann%wnre.aecl.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: INGRES USER SURVEY

Anne Corner of the Ingres User Association (IUA) is looking into EMAIL systems
and bulletin board systems sponsored by the IUA for use by the INGRES user
community.  I volunteered to survey INFO-VAX and INFO-IBMPC for INGRES users
reachable via these list mechanisms for Anne.

Please respond with the attached survey, so that I can automate processing of
returns.
 ------------------------start of cut----------------------------------
Organization name and address::
Est. number of INGRES licenses::
Est. number of INGRES users::
Computing Systems used::
 ------------------------end of cut------------------------------------

If the response is good, we could look into setting up an INFO-INGRES list.
Can anyone tell me, via response separate from the survey, how to go about
doing that?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Subject: Extended keyboards vs. IBM's PC ROM
Date: Sun, 10 May 87 22:17:34 EDT
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa) <jcmorris@mitre.ARPA>

Does anyone in NetLand have the data (or a pointer to it) from which
I can tell what versions of the (true Blue) PC ROM's support the additional
keys introduced on the 101-key "extended" keyboard which has now become
the standard for all IBM designs?  My AT at the office has a ROM date of
10/85 (+/-; I'm writing this from home) and a new keyboard; other units
(all supposedly packaged this way from IBM) have the same combination.  The
problems are that (1) the ROM BIOS hasn't the foggiest idea of what to do
with the scan codes for the new keys (PF11, PF12, and the reorganized keys
which provide functions originally on the numeric keypad), and (2) the PrtScr
key has the nasty habit of leaving the "left shift key down" bit set under
some conditions.

IBM has been not at all responsive to requests for help in this.  I've
tolerated the problem for some time now, but last week I got a squawk from
a rather vocal user, so the question has been moved up on the priority list.
Any ideas?

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.ARPA)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 May 87 09:06:22 cdt
From: Esmail Bonakdarian <bonak%cs.uiowa.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: HP Vectra (& Norton Utilities)

I am having the following problem with my HP Vectra (AT class IBM compatible):
every once in a while my system clock seems to work too fast i.e. gain
about 6 - 10 minutes every hour. This seems to happen mostly after I
use the Norton Utilities - anybody out there have any similar experiences
or a(n) (possible) explanation? When I reboot the machine the time gets
set correctly again.

thanks for any info.

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 11 May 87 07:59 EST
From:     PICARD%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject:  MS-DOS vs. PC-DOS

Can anyone out there give me some info on the differences between
MS-DOS and PC-DOS?  Some questions I have include: Are programs written
in a high level language portable? When will MS offer their version
of OS/2?  Is the hardware easier to get to in one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

Ron Picard
General Motors Research Labs.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 15:17:35 GMT+0100
From: Keith Dale <kdale@bbncc-eur.arpa>
Subject: 132 Column Telecomm Software

Does anyone know of any telecommunications software that supports 132
columns *on screen* (as opposed to 80 columns on screen with the
other 52 columns scrolled off to the right) for a Zenith Z-248?  The
Z-248 in question has just the standard CGA adapter and amber monitor
- not EGA.  Ideally, no additional hardware would be necessary.  The
quality of the 132 col display doesn't have to be wonderful, just
readable for infrequent but specialized applications.

Thanks!

Keith <kdale@bbncc-eur.arpa>

[Any of our GLASSTTY programs in the library could easily be modified if
the hardware supports 132 columns. -wab]

------------------------------

Subject: QUANTUS PC Clones from Scientific Storage Technology
Date: Mon, 11 May 87 11:13:17 EDT
From: jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA

I am looking for a good inexpensive "clone" and have run across an ad for
a product called QUANTUS by Scientific Storage Technology, Spofford, NH.
This product is interesting because they are offering a "complete"
XT-compatible "Turbo" system with monitor and 20 Mbyte Hard Disk for a list
price of $795.  And an AT-compatible with 30-Mbyte Hard Disk for $1495.  For
those interested, their phone number is (800) 255-0125 or (603) 363-4564.  I
would appreciate any comments from info-ibmpc subscribers who are familiar
with this product, and in particular:

* Does anybody have personal experience with its compatibility with the
  trickier software (1-2-3, Flight Simulator, etc.).

* Does anyone have info, good or bad, about its reliability, etc.?

* What are the most important questions for a neophyte to ask about such
  a product, e.g. graphics resolution, keyboard size, clock speed, ???

Your guidance will be appreciated.  PLEASE REPLY DIRECT TO
       jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa, or ...linus!mbunix!jhs
as I am not a subscriber to info-ibmpc at present.  Thanks 10**6.

-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 11 May 87 17:16 ADT
From:     <JNDPH%ALASKA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Video Projector Info Wanted

I am seeking information about video projectors that are ibm-compatible.
We are interested in finding a reliable projector that can be attached to
an ibm pc or compaq video port and be used with an audience of 25-35.

Portability, such as that provided by some of the LCD devices now on the
market, would be a plus.  We are looking for a device that can project
an 80 column video image on a classroom screen and provide a readable image
at 25 to 30 feet on a 6 foot wide screen.

Because we must make a purchasing decision no later than the end of May, I
ask that messages be sent to me (I will summarize for the net).

Thanks!

                                        |  dennis harris
    *   *                               |  university of alaska, juneau
            *                           |  school of business / micro lab
                              *         |  uacn:        acad1::jndph
              *                         |  bitnet:      jndph@alaska

             *      *                   |  if life is a menu-driven
                *                       |  universe, how can we escape

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 May 87 07:29:06 PDT
From: bridges@nprdc.arpa (Tom Bridges)
Subject: C++ Translator

I am interested in using C++ for a project that I am working on.  Has
anyone had any positive or negative experiences with the language?  How
widespread is its use?  Is the translator currently offered by Lifeboat
reliable?

  Tom Bridges

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 12 May 87 10:16 CST
From:     <SWINGLER%BAYLOR.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Steve Swingler)
Subject:  Zenith Memory Upgrade

Can someone give me some advice on pushing the memory on a Zenith 248
from 512K to 640K.  Zenith's product has not gone into production
yet, and I know that many conventional memory upgrade boards will not
be fast enough for the Zenith-AT.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 1987 15:02:18 PDT
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@C.ISI.EDU>
To: <SWINGLER%BAYLOR.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Steve Swingler)

I asked the people at Tall Tree if they had anything that would run at
8 Mhz 0 wait states. They don't and don't know of any other products that
do run at this speed. I gather it is hard to do stuff like EMS without
the wait state.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 May 87 09:33:40 pdt
From: tweten@ames-prandtl.ARPA (Dave Tweten)
Subject: How to Detect an EGA?

I've recently dropped the cash for an NEC Multisync monitor and a
Video-7 Vega Delux for my Heath/Zenith 151.  For some time, I've had an
improved screen-blanker program for CGAs (IBM's as well as Zenith's) and
for MDAs (IBM's and Hercules).  I've figured that it might be worth
contributing to the Info-IBMPC software library, after expanding it to
cover EGAs.

A recent article in the Digest pointed me to the September 30, 1986
issue of PC Magazine, and the "PC Tutor" column, for an effective
technique to accomplish the actual blanking.  The one thing I still need
is the best algorithm for distinguishing EGAs from CGAs and MDAs.

So who knows the best way for software to discover if the adapter on the
machine is an EGA?

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------