Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (06/01/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Sunday, 31 May 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 40

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

		    Ethernet Cards Other than 3COM
		    Ethernet Cards Including 3COM
			  Long command lines
		       PS/2 Data Migration Kit
		     Enabling Cntl-U CTLENABL.ASM
			   EGA and CodeView
			Hercules and CGA cards
			Comments in CONFIG.SYS
			   386 Motherboard
			 DOS 3.3 File Handles
	 Cross assemblers for IBM-PC available from SIMTEL20
         Micro-EMACS Version 3.8f now available from SIMTEL20

Today's Queries:
			      MICROEMACS
		  DOS 3.1 BIOS Mod to Read PC Clock
			DEBUG needs debugging
			   Backup programs
		     One Armed Keyboard Software
		    Clarifying the 132 col problem
			   DECnet-DOS 1.1.1
			      PC/VM-Bond
		LAN Operating Mode for dBASE III Plus
			 Conversion Software
			       PC-Write
			  XT Hard Disk in AT

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: 27 May 87 17:06:13 PDT (Wednesday)
From: Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Ethernet Cards Other than 3COM

Does anyone have any experience or know about the Ethernet Cards other
than the 3COM board? I need to do a quick evaluation of them. Any help
will be greatly appreciated.

	Thanks,
	Jack Bicer

Bicer.ES@Xerox.COM

------------------------------

Date: Thu 28 May 87 14:06:06-EDT
From: John Romkey <ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Ethernet Cards Including 3COM
To: Bicer.ES@XEROX.COM

3COM offers three ethernet interfaces:
	3C501 (EtherLink)
	3C505 (EtherLinkPlus)
	???   (EtherLink II - available in June, I think)

The 3C501 is relatively slow and has very little buffering. It's pretty
much the low end of ethernet interfaces, though there are a lot of similar
cards out there. Most low end cards are priced the same as the 3C501,
also. I think it currently lists for $595. This is a short card. It's
supposed to be phased out by the end of the year.

The 3C505 is a "smart" card, with an 80186 and some RAM on it. You
can download protocols to it but not everyone does. In the AT it can
use the 16 bit bus.  I have not seen any great performance
improvement in it over the 3C501, as far as moving data goes, but
it's got lots of memory so it shouldn't lose packets very often.
Applications running on the card might show a speedup, though. This
is a full length card and last I knew it listed for about $900.

The EtherLink II is brand new and uses the National Semiconductor ethernet
chip. I haven't seen any software run on it yet, but it's got 8K of
RAM so it can buffer a number of packets, and the National chip looks
pretty nice. It *should* perform a lot better than the 3C501 but I'll
wait till I see it do so. I believe it costs about $595 also.

All the 3COM cards support both thin ethernet and external transceivers.

Micom-Interlan offers two ethernet interfaces:
	NI5010
	NP600

The NI5010 is similar to the 3C501. The major differences to the user are
that it has the connectors on the back in the opposite order, which makes
it difficult to install and it's a full-length board. I've been told
that Micom-Interlan is somewhat more responsive on customer support than
3COM, as well. It's probably priced the same as the 3C501.

The NP600 is a smart card with protocol on board. I don't know much more
about it than that, and I don't know pricing or what connectors it
has.

Univation has a short ethernet board which performs somewhat better
than the 3C501. It has more buffering and it uses an 82586 as its
ethernet controller. The board has both connectors, and I'm not sure
how much it costs.

Excelan has the EXOS205, which has a processor on board. They normally
download TCP/IP to the board, but it can also be used as a dumb
ethernet interface. It's pretty fast and has lots of buffers. The
EXOS205 only has an external transceiver connector, but they just
introduced a new version, the EXOS205T, with a thin ethernet connector
too. I'm not sure about price. It's a full length board.

BICC Data Networks is a British company that sells ethernet
components. They have a PC interface called the 4110. It has a Z80, a
Lance chip and 32K of RAM on it, and is a full length card. It's got
both kinds of connectors on it. Its performance is high mid range,
better than the 3C501, not quite as good as the Excelan card. Last I
knew it listed for around $900 but that was quite a while ago.

Ungermann-Bass has two ethernet interfaces for the PC: the NIC and the
NIU. The NIC is a dumb board, sort of like a 3C501 with lots of
memory. The NIU is a smart board. I don't know much more about them
beyond this; no performance figures or prices.

National Semiconductor has a "demo" board with its ethernet chip on
it; it should perform similarly to the 3COM EtherLink II. I'm not 100%
sure this is available to people other than OEM's. It's a short card
with external transceiver, thin ethernet AND Starlan connectors. To
switch to Starlan you change a jumper and replace one chip (I think
it's the Manchester encoder). I'm not sure about the price.

Western Digital has an ethernet board which is exceedingly small and
supposed to be quite fast. They claim you can get 11Mbps with it over
the PC bus. That's about all I know about it.

Novell has an ethernet interface of their own which I think goes for
$395. I read about it sometimes in the random PC magazines. I don't
know any more than that about it.

That just about exhausts the list of ethernet interfaces I know
about...some of the prices I've given might be out of date, and
performance will certainly vary depending on what software you're
running.
					- john romkey

------------------------------

Date:           Thu, 28 May 87 02:02:23 PDT
From:           Dana Myers <bilbo.dana@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject:        Long command lines

  A previous posting of mine pointed out that the behavior of COMMAND.COM
with MS-DOS 3.1 (and every other version of MS-DOS) and back-wrapping
was an INT 10 "feature". I did not offer a solution for those who desire
the ability to back wrap. Since then, more than one person has suggested
some kind of command line editor. One editor is called CED; the other editor
was a homebrew.

  While these programs may offer a solution, a more general solution would
be to replace the CON driver for a DOS system with a CON driver that
performs video update rather than INT 10s. I personally know of no such
replacement CON driver, though NANSI.SYS could be augmented to perform
direct video update and insure backwrap works correctly. The driver
need not incorporate ANSI driver functionality, in which case you would
have a simple glass-TTY that also backwraps, though one need not start
with a pre-existing CON driver to write a simple glass-TTY device driver.

  Another idea is to provide enhanced INT 10 support, through the use
of a loadable device driver that catches INT 10 or a terminate and
stay resident program that catches INT 10. The point of my previous
message was that INT 10 was the limiting factor; this message is
essentially an explanation of the implication of the first - "Change
character update to the screen at the device driver level". I
apologize I was not more lucid at first.

Good Luck,
Dana H. Myers

Locus Computing Corp.
Santa Monica, CA

Advice to motorcyclists: (1) Don't crash on your head. (2) If you see
blue, you are sliding on your back. (3) On Latigo, watch for Billy.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 28 May 87 11:21:27-PDT
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: PS/2 Data Migration Kit
Phone: (714)961-3393; Mail:Beckman Instruments, Inc.

I was unable to get this to work from my AT to a PS when I first tried it.
The software kept complaining about not being able to establish the
connection (I don't remember the exact message.)  I finally traced the
cause to the printer cable I had been using.  Evidently it was missing
some connection, even though it drove my Epson printer just fine.
When I changed the cable, it worked very well.

Be aware that this package only goes *one way*; from the host to the
3.5 inch drive.  This is because the parallel port on the PS (unlike
the parallel port on the older PC's) will send and receive.

Ted.

------------------------------

From: rochester!steinmetz!davidsen@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: Enabling Cntl-U CTLENABL.ASM
Date: 28 May 87 17:53:13 GMT

I tried to post this a month ago, but it never came back on other
systems, so I'll try again. There was a spate of messages on patching DOS
to enable Cntl-U (and Cntl-W) for various version of DOS. I have written
a routine that patches DOS *in memory* when run. It works for PCDOS3.0-3.3,
and MSDOS 3.x all OEM's I've tried. You execute the command in your
AUTOEXEC.BAT file and it does the in memory patch of DOS.

[CTLENABL.ASM has been added to the info-ibmpc lending library. -wab]

	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

------------------------------

Date:	Fri, 29 May 87 09:39:41 PDT
From:     ROME%ORN.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: EGA and CodeView

Although Codeview works fine on my Tseng EVA/480, I saw a patch for EGA
clones on the Microsoft DIAL Bulletin Board. It only works for version 1.1
of CodeView. Try calling Microsoft to get a copy...

------------------------------

Date:           Fri, 29 May 87 11:05:21 PDT
From:           Jim Anderson <bilbo.jta@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject:        Hercules and CGA cards

An issue or two back someone commented that a Hercules monochrome graphics
card and a CGA could not be installed at the same time because of memory
address overlapping.  Hercules sells (or at least used to sell) a CGA
compatible card that could be used along with a Hercules monochrome card.

I have never used either of these cards, but wanted to make note of their
availability for anyone who has a need.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 14:14:14 EDT
From: rochester!srs!dan@seismo.CSS.GOV (Dan Kegel)
Subject: Comments in CONFIG.SYS

I don't know about between lines, but I do know that the text to the
right of each DEVICE=file line is passed to the device driver's init
routine.
- Dan Kegel (dan@srs.uucp, seismo!rochester!srs!dan)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 87 01:07:35 PST
From: iverson%cory.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Tim Iverson)
Subject: 386 Motherboard

> #39, Info-IBMPC Digest) contemplates the purchase of a $2500 ZEOS '386
> motherboard for his aging 8088 PC/XT.

	Just to give you an idea of how overpriced the ZEOS board is, take a
look at the back of June '87 Dr. Dobbs.  Hauppauge (the overpriced math chip
people) sells one for $1495.  Undoubtedly, it is of the highest quality;
undoubtedly, it is of the highest mark-up as well.  Should you leave no page
un-flipped, you will also (undoubtedly :-) find a suitable '386 motherboard
for a reasonable price - there are some fantastic bargains to be had if you
just look!  Try *Computer Shopper*.

- Tim Iverson
iverson@cory.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!cory!iverson

------------------------------

To: T1.MEDICINE@chip.uchicago
Subject: DOS 3.3 File Handles
Date: Sat, 30 May 87 14:09:36 EDT
From: Joseph A. Cimmino Jr. <jac@umd5.UMD.EDU>

> I have a question about DOS 3.3:  How many file handles per process does the
> new version support ?

Shooting from the hip:  DOS 3.3 supports as a default the same number of
file handles per process as earlier versions, that is 20.  This is due to
the size of the reserved area in the PSP where their indices are stored.

In DOS 3.3 one can ask DOS to not use the PSP, but instead fetch another
area of memory and use it for up to 64k file handles for a process.
The call is INT 21 function 67h, BX=number of open handles allowed.

Note, however, the DOS FILES= parameter in CONFIG.SYS that appears to limit
the total number of file handles managed by DOS to 255.  A good assumption
since each index is only a byte.

Various authors have published techniques for using more than 20 file handles
per process in earlier versions of DOS.  The technique is usually the same,
allocate another portion of memory for the handle table and patch a pointer
in the PSP.

> Thanks,
>
> RMM
------------------------------
Joseph A. Cimmino, Jr.    University of Maryland, Systems    jac@umd5.umd.edu
1+ 301 454 2946                   PC/IP Group             cimminoj@umdd.bitnet

Bertolt Brecht:  You made your bed, so you lie in it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 May 87 22:31:18 EDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject:  Cross assemblers for IBM-PC available from SIMTEL20

The complete collection of "PseudoSam" cross-assemblers for IBM-PC's
and "compatibles" is now available from SIMTEL20.

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.CROSSASM>
PS18A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 58880  DADDH

PseudoSam 18 is a cross-assembler for the RCA 1802,4,5,6 and related
processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for those wishing
to develop 1802 based products.  Programs are converted directly into
Intel (optionally Motorola) Hex object files.

PS48A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 63744  F702H

PseudoSam 48 is a cross-assembler for the Intel 8748 and related
processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for those wishing
to develop 8748 based products.  Programs are converted directly into
Intel Hex object files.

PS51A123.ARC.1			BINARY	 68480  5405H

PseudoSam 51 is a cross-assembler for the Intel 8751 and related
processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for those wishing
to develop 8751 based products.  Programs are converted directly into
Intel Hex object files.

PS65A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 59008  41B0H

PseudoSam 65 is a cross-assembler for the 6502 processor. It is a
user-supported assembler useful for those wishing to develop 6502
based products.  Programs are converted directly into Intel
(optionally Motorola) Hex object files.

PS685A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 60928  AD06H

PseudoSam 685 is a cross-assembler for the Motorola 6805 and related
processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for those wishing
to develop 6805 based products.  Programs are converted directly into
Motorola (optionally Intel) Hex object files.

PS68A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 61312  D02BH

PseudoSam 68 is a cross-assembler for the Motorola 6800,01,02,03,08
and related processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for
those wishing to develop 6800 based products.  Programs are converted
directly into Motorola (optionally Intel) Hex object files.

PS69A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 62848  9067H

PseudoSam 69 is a cross-assembler for the Motorola 6809 and related
processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for those wishing
to develop 6809 based products.  Programs are converted directly into
Motorola (optionally Intel) Hex object files.

PS85A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 60160  3765H

PseudoSam 85 is a cross-assembler for the Intel 8085 and related
processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for those wishing
to develop 8085 based products.  Programs are converted directly into
Intel Hex object files.

PS96A12.ARC.1			BINARY	 63488  B390H

PseudoSam 96 is a cross-assembler for the Intel 8096 and related
processors.  It is a user-supported assembler useful for those wishing
to develop 8096 based products.  Programs are converted directly into
Intel Hex object files.

PSZ80A13.ARC.1			BINARY	 67712  6CD7H

PseudoSam 80z is a cross-assembler for the Zilog z80, National
Semiconductor NSC800 and related processors.  It is a user-supported
assembler useful for those wishing to develop z80 based products.
Programs are converted directly into Intel Hex object files.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1987  14:41 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Micro-EMACS Version 3.8f now available from SIMTEL20

Micro-EMACS version 3.8f is now available from SIMTEL20.

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 Sectors     CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.MICRO-EMACS>
EMACSDOC38F.ARC.1		BINARY	 72704  568 = 238H  B29BH
EMACSEXE38F.ARC.1		BINARY	 50304  393 = 189H  E302H
EMACSSRC38F.ARC.1		BINARY	225920 1765 = 6E5H  BB15H

There are many improvements and bug fixes.

Date:	Sat, 30 May 87 12:59:29 PDT
From:     MINUIT%FSU.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: MICROEMACS

I have microemacs V3.7 and have been attempting to get it to compile on
a VAX/VMS (V4.5) system without too much luck. I am posting to this news
group since microemacs seems to have a large number of pc users - many of
whom have compiled it on other machines. The program compiles and links ok
(I had to change some calls to unlink to calls to delete in spawn.c), but
it crashes in termio.c during its initialization. Has anyone else
encountered this problem and/or generated some fixes for it already? Also,
does anyone know when the next revision of microemacs will be released?

                                                David LaSalle
                                                minuit%fsu@nmfecc.arpa

------------------------------

From: Roy Stehle <stehle@tsca.istc.sri.com>
Subject:  DOS 3.1 BIOS Mod to Read PC Clock
Date: Wed, 27 May 87 11:22:03 -0700

I have a Columbia MPC-1600-4 (XT clone) that I am trying to enhance with
30 MB of hard disk (Seagate 238 & Adaptec ACB-2070A) using RLL-encoding
to get the 30 MB of storage.  Using DOS 2.11, the system recognizes only
20 MB.  Under DOS 3.10, the full 30 MB are usable, but the clock cannot
be set and does not run.  I am able to read the PC Ware clock/calendar card
using the software provided by PC Ware.

Is there a BIOS patch that will:

  1.  Cause DOS to implement the interrupt clock as in DOS 2.11, or

  2.  Cause DOS to interrogate the clock/calendar card whenever date and
	time are required (e.g., when updating a directory entry)?

Will the Godfather's BIOS accomplish either of the approaches above?

					Roy Stehle
					SRI International

------------------------------

Subject: DEBUG needs debugging
Date: Wed, 27 May 87 20:17:13 EDT
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa) <jcmorris@mitre.arpa>

I ran into a rather nasty DEBUG problem while following the instructions
for modifying the service vector for YTERM 1.4.  It seems that DEBUG
has the distressing habit of going into a disabled loop whenever it
is instructed to load a .HEX file; when it doesn't go into a disabled
loop it uses an enabled loop which can be broken by ^C, at which time
neither registers nor storage reflect the .HEX file data.  The problem
is seen on both DOS 3.0 and 3.1; it works fine using a copy of DEBUG
from DOS 2.0 (I KNEW there was a reason I held onto the old disk!);
and when I try the DEBUG on the DOS 3.3 Utilities disk it complains
about "Incorrect DOS version".  Driving the 3.1 DEBUG from a 2.0 system
disk with no interesting stuff in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT also fails,
so it's almost certainly in DEBUG itself.

The problem isn't data-sensitive: I gave it a garbage file and it still
blew, apparently after opening the file but before reading it.

Anyone got an idea what's happening?  I can get around the problem for
now by using T.COM instead of TBASE.HEX, but I don't like broken code.

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa)

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 27 May 87 19:31 CDT
From:     <KRANTZ%VUENGVAX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Backup programs

I'm looking for a program that will do incremental saves and allow
selective restores (you can either select a single file, a directory
or complete restores? Any suggestions on programs, problems encountered
with these programs and prices would be appreciated.

                                                        Thank You,

                                                        Alan Krantz

(Please send or CC replies to me: KRANTZ@VUENGVAX).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 May 87 19:15:18 PDT
From: lind%entropy.ms@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Doug Lind)
Subject: One Armed Keyboard Software

    A friend just bought an AT clone. He has one arm. Is there software
available to make the <CTL>, <ALT>, and <SHFT> keys "sticky" so he
can press key combinations that are now awkward or impossible (e.g.
the sticky keys in PC-WRITE)? How about software to redefine keys that
works on all (or most) software, unlike ANSI.SYS. I checked the KWIC
index and found nothing helpful.

Doug Lind, Univ. of Washington Math. Dept.
lind@entropy.ms.washington.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed 27 May 87 23:17:16-PDT
From: SATELLITE2@ECLA.USC.EDU
Subject: Clarifying the 132 col problem

	Billy B. suggested I provide the source code for my EGA
program in question.  The following program is taken from pg 302 from
PC Mag. (Vol. 5 No. 15).  It is called 120COLS.COM and is a TSR
program that redefines mode 0 (the BW40 mode) to utilize the given
register values while also switching the EGA board over to the
external dot clock from the Feature Connector.  With a higher dot
clock frequency and the new register values, the program allows one
to run their EGA at 120 columns; more columns could be obtained with
higher clock rates and different values.

	My original query was if anyone out there could inform me as
to exactly which values in the program need to be changed for
generating 132 col. output.  As mentioned before, making the hardware
and getting it to work was a cinch. The problem is even after
purchasing the options and adapters ref manual from IBM, I still
can't figure out how to determine new values for the registers to
make the EGA display happy.  Any info telling me which values need to
be changed in the program below would be greatly appreciated.

CLD
SUB	AX,AX
MOV	ES,AX
ES:
LDS	SI,[04A8]		; GET SAV_PTR
ES:
MOV	WORD PTR [04A8],016C
ES:
MOV	[04AA],CS		; MAKE IT POINT HERE
PUSH	CS
POP	ES
MOV	DI,016C			; MOVE ADDRESSES
MOV	CX,001C
REPZ
MOVSB
ES:
LDS	SI,[016C]		; GET PARAMETER PTR
MOV	DI,0188
MOV	CX,05C0
REPZ				; COPY PARAMETERS
MOVSB
PUSH	CS
POP	DS
MOV	WORD PTR [016C],0188
MOV	[016E],CS
MOV	SI,0149			; PUT NEW VALUES IN
MOV	DI,0648
MOV	CX,0023
REPZ
MOVSB
MOV	DX,0748			; REMAIN RESIDENT
INT	27			; NEW VALUES FOLLOW
DB	78,18,0E
DW	1800
DB	01,03,00,03
DB	AB
DB	87,77,7D,22,78,27
DB	6C,1F,00,0D,06,07
DB	00,00,00,00,5E,2B
DB	5D,3C,0F,5E,0A,A3
DB	FF

	If by chance than any attempted reply mail doesn't get into
this acct.  please post your suggestions & replies to Info-IbmPc
since it is possible for me to at least read that.  Being on a
general acct. for LAN use, it is possible for our mailer to restrict
priv. on incoming mail

(Mark W. c/o Satellite2%Ecla.Usc.Edu)

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 28 May 1987 10:26 CDT
From:     <ARCHERB%UMKCVAX1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: DECnet-DOS 1.1.1

        Has anyone heard of, or better yet seen, DECnet-DOS 1.1.1?  We're
currently running 1.1a.

        Thanks in advance,

                                Barry Archer
                                ARCHERB@UMKCVAX1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 28 May 1987 15:28:23 CDT
From: Anup Kumar Roy   <AnupRoy%UIUCVMD.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  PC/VM-Bond

Does anyone out there have any experience working with PC/VM Bond (from IBM)?
I'm especially interested in your opinions on using VM-disk to store your data
and/or software (versus using an extra hard-disk or a Bernoulli Box) vis-a-vis
efficiency / access time / etc.

Also has anybody used the PC/REXX product that comes with PC/VM Bond? How does
it compare with the product from the people that put out KEdit?

Thanks in advance. Any appropriate comments will be highly appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 87 10:30-EDT
From: ASPLJL%UOFT01.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  LAN Operating Mode for dBASE III Plus

I would like to know if anyone is running the LAN version of dBASE.  If so,
what LAN package are you using?  (IBM PC Network, 3Com, or Novell)  How
many workstation do you have?  Do you share application files?  What problems
have you noticed?  Response-time, errors in dBASE, etc.

Please send any replies via BITNET to ASPLJL at UOFT01.  Thanks.

Linda Larkin
University of Toledo
ASPLJL%UOFT01.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 1987 08:40:26 CDT
From: CCSO-ALL@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA
Subject: Conversion Software

Our organization is looking for some public domain software to convert 5 1/4
inch MS-DOS floppy disk formatted files to 8 inch Xerox 820 or 16/8 floppy
disk formatted files.  Something similar to "UNIFORM".  Thanks for any help
you can provide.  Millette.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 May 87 13:50:27 EDT
From: weikert@NADC.ARPA (J. Weikert)
Subject: PC-Write

Does anyone know whether the shareware pc-write is on-line on the arpanet
somewhere?

Weikert@nadc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 28 May 87 10:48:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: XT Hard Disk in AT

I have been trying to run my Clone XT's hard disk in my (new) Baby AT
system.(The "Baby AT" uses an xt-sized motherboard, and offers 6/10 MHz
and 0/1 wait state, Norton SI 11.5 performance).
The controller I am trying to use is :
   WESTERN DIGITAL Model WD1002-WX2 - an 8-bit, long board.
I understand that XT's use IRQ 5, while AT's use IRQ 2 for thew hard disk
controller.
MY QUESTION: is there any way to modifying this board to run in an AT?
I have a text file from one of the BBS's that show how to modify the
WD1002S, short board, to changer the IRQ so it would work on the AT.
However, I cannot find any jumpers on my lonmg board. There are a lot of
solder holes labelled "E2", "E13" etc, but no docs for the card. I intend
to call Western Digital for info - but has anyone out there tried this?
Failing a solution, I guess I'll have to buy a 16-bit HDC for the AT.
Thanks in advance. SCOTT.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest

-------