Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU.UUCP (06/04/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Wednesday, 3 January 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 43

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

			  Thanks for Support
		      Z248 (AT Clone) Slow-down
			 Keystroke Recording
		 WordStar 4.0 NEC8023A Printer Driver
			    (R) DEC <-> PC
			  EBCDIC-ASCII Table
		     Borland's Turbo "C" is good
	      MicroEMACS version 3.8i update on SIMTEL20
			Bug in DEBUG (2 Msgs)
			    Kwic-index.txt
			  Token Ring Digest
			      bituudec.c
Today's Queries:
			Minix Operating System
			   Sun PC-NFS query
			    Concurrent DOS
		 WordStar 4.0 NEC8023A Printer Driver
			   EPROM Programmer
			 EGA Status Register
		       Filesize in TURBO PASCAL
		       1.2 Meg drives on an XT?
		 Tektronix T4010 plots to PostScript
	 AutoCAD Tektronix 4663 or Ramtek 6211 Driver Wanted
			PC Assembler Training

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date:  3 Jun 1987 16:27:16 PDT
Subject: Thanks for Support
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@C.ISI.EDU>

Thanks for all the notes supporting INFO-IBMPC. I particularly like the
messages where people agree with me. Thanks for the other notes as well.

We have a university willing to take over the responsibility for
INFO-IBMPC.  Like all university departments they need money and will
not take on responsibility unless it comes with cash. I have sent
pleas to all recipients of the digest I can think of who have money.
If you have money and would like to give it to a worthy tax
deductible university, and I didn't send you a plea, drop me a note
and I'll ask you for money.

So far nobody has said no, but then none of them have answered my messages.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 87  9:22:31 EDT
From: Robert Bloom  AMSTE-TEI 3775 <rbloom@apg-1.arpa>
Subject: Z248 (AT Clone) Slow-down

A couple weeks back I asked for a method to slow down my Z248 (AT Clone).
The most rememberable solution is attached, a utility 'speed' which if
called as 'speed s' slows the machine, or 'speed f' restores it to fast,
normal speed.  *Much* easier to remember than poking a certain value into
a certain port at a certain time with a certain program.  Program sent to
me by Richard McGee; thanks Rich!

; MASM SPEED;
; LINK SPEED;
; EXE2BIN SPEED SPEED.COM
; SPEED S                 To set slow speed
; SPEED F                 To set normal speed
;
        PAGE    ,132
        TITLE   SPEED

SCP_STAT        EQU     0064H
SCP_CMD         EQU     0064H

SCP_IBF         EQU     0002H
SCP_SLOW        EQU     00B1H
SCP_FAST        EQU     00B2H

DEF_FCB         EQU     005CH

CODE    SEGMENT
        ASSUME  CS:CODE
        ORG     00100H

start:
        mov     bx,DEF_FCB+1
        mov     al,byte ptr[bx]
        and     al,05fh                 ;make it uppercase
        cmp     al,'S'
        je      s1
        cmp     al,'F'
        je      s2
        mov     dx,offset usage         ;show usage
        mov     ah,9                    ;and
        int     21h
        int     20h                     ;quit

s1:
        mov     dx,offset slowset
        mov     ah,9
        int     21h
        mov     bl,SCP_SLOW
        jmp     chg_speed

s2:
        mov     dx,offset fastset
        mov     ah,9
        int     21h
        mov     bl,SCP_FAST

chg_speed:
        mov     dx,SCP_STAT

cs1:
        in      al,dx
        test    al,SCP_IBF
        jnz     cs1
        mov     al,bl
        out     dx,al
        int     20h                     ;quit

slowset db      10,13,'Slow Speed Set',10,13,'$'
fastset db      10,13,'Fast Speed Set',10,13,'$'
usage   db      10,10,13,'Usage -->  SPEED S or SPEED F'
        db      10,13,'Where S=slow mode and F=fast mode',10,13,'$'

CODE    ENDS
        END     START

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jun 87 12:07:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc.arpa>
Subject: Keystroke Recording

Someone wanted to know if there was a way to continuously record key
strokes, to protect against system crashes.

I found an ad for such a product:

" SAVE MY DAY" from Computer Foundations. $79.

Ad (source: Computer Shopper, June 87, pg 418) claims "records your
ks to disk as you type... allows you play them back
 later..."

Also "automatically send ks to Lotus 123, Dbase 3+, most other sw".
Has 4 play speeds, ks editor, pop up menu, batch start up, 60 page
manual, 30 day money back guarantee.

AddresS: Computer Foundations - 2604 Elmwood Ave, Suite 230, Rochester,
NY 14618.
Phone: (716) 9756.
Payment: VISA/MC
COMMENT: FYI! I haven;t played with or even seen the product.
DISCLAIMER: NONE.
SCOTT

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 01 Jun 87 12:32:20 EDT
From:         Michael Friendly <FRIENDLY%YORKVM1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      WordStar 4.0 NEC8023A Printer Driver

I have been trying for over a month to get MicroPro's help installing
WS 4.0 for my NEC8023A printer. In WS 3.3, installing it for a CITOH
8510 worked perfectly. With the new version, every line printed is
preceded by garbage-- ESC F nnnn, an escape code to move the print
head nnnn dots to the right. Evidently this is the only escape code
of the CITOH which is *not* implemented in the NEC8023a.

My many phone calls to MicroPro technical support have not elicited
any more than sympathy. I was wondering if anyone in netland uses
this printer with WS 4.0

------------------------------

Date:  1 Jun 87   10:32-EST
From: R.Rasulis  <ext715%BOSTONU.bitnet@WISCVM.arpa>
Subject: (R) DEC <-> PC

      Thanks 2-ALL who responded 2 my query on dec <--> pc file accesses.
  For the benefit of all, I'm posting some of the best workarounds.
  Many mentioned COMM port transfers, but we have too many disks to make
  this feasible.
      There were 3 more practical suggestions made. The
  first is a disk-oriented workaround; the second is a software work-
  around; the third is a hardware implementation for the rainbow.
  All three were appealing because: A) They seem cheap,
  B) They seem fast, and C) I haven't tried them yet.

  Method A:
  ---------
            source:  From: John DeCarlo        <M14051%mwvm@mitre.arpa>
   ... formatting single-sided diskettes on the IBM PC (occasionally
   needing to resort to the /8 for 8 sectors) and writing to them on the
   Rainbow, then reading back on the IBM PC.

  Method B:
  ---------
            source:  Peter Kuo <kuo@sask.bitnet>
     You need an AT 1.2Mb drive (plus a device driver) to read Rainbow
  disks on PC; I have a PD device driver for the PC if you have a
  1.2Mb drive.

  Method C:
  ---------
            source:  Chuck Baconn <crb@nihcudec.bitnet>
     An outboard floppy drive for the rainbow that reads & writes
  PC-compatible disks: It's called I-DRIVE and is available from :
                  Suitable Solutions
                  467 Saratoga Ave., Suite 319
                  San Jose, CA  95129
                  (408) 725-8944/247-8775

  Again, I hope this helps. I'll be posting it again to the NET to inform
  other users of these suggestions. I can't speak for the integrity of
  these workarounds; I haven't been able to try them yet. If you need
  further info on anyone of them, I'd suggest you contact the source.
Rich Rasulis                | bITnEt : smggyuc@bostonu
Dep't of Social Psychiatry  |
Harvard Medical School      | mA beLL: (617) 232-2991

------------------------------

From:     "Roger Fajman" <RAF%NIHCU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Date:     Tue, 02 Jun 87  19:28:07 EDT
Subject:  EBCDIC-ASCII Table

Here is a file that can help people figure out EBCDIC-ASCII
translation problems that they might be having.  I believe
that it matches Columbia's tables.

Roger Fajman
RAF@NIHCU.BITNET

ASCII  EBCDIC  CHARACTER
20     40         Space
21     5A      !  Exclamation Point
22     7F      "  Double Quote
23     7B      #  Number Sign
24     5B      $  Dollar Sign
25     6C      %  Percent Sign
26     50      &  Ampersand
27     7D      '  Single Quote
28     4D      (  Left Parenthesis
29     5D      )  Right Parenthesis
2A     5C      *  Asterisk
2B     4E      +  Plus Sign
2C     6B      ,  Comma
2D     60      -  Minus Sign
2E     4B      .  Period
2F     61      /  Slash
30     F0      0  Zero
31     F1      1  One
32     F2      2  Two
33     F3      3  Three
34     F4      4  Four
35     F5      5  Five
36     F6      6  Six
37     F7      7  Seven
38     F8      8  Eight
39     F9      9  Nine
3A     7A      :  Colon
3B     5E      ;  Semicolon
3C     4C      <  Less Than
3D     7E      =  Equal Sign
3E     6E      >  Greater Than
3F     6F      ?  Question Mark
40     7C      @  At Sign
41     C1      A  Upper Case A
42     C2      B  Upper Case B
43     C3      C  Upper Case C
44     C4      D  Upper Case D
45     C5      E  Upper Case E
46     C6      F  Upper Case F
47     C7      G  Upper Case G
48     C8      H  Upper Case H
49     C9      I  Upper Case I
4A     D1      J  Upper Case J
4B     D2      K  Upper Case K
4C     D3      L  Upper Case L
4D     D4      M  Upper Case M
4E     D5      N  Upper Case N
4F     D6      O  Upper Case O
50     D7      P  Upper Case P
51     D8      Q  Upper Case Q
52     D9      R  Upper Case R
53     E2      S  Upper Case S
54     E3      T  Upper Case T
55     E4      U  Upper Case U
56     E5      V  Upper Case V
57     E6      W  Upper Case W
58     E7      X  Upper Case X
59     E8      Y  Upper Case Y
5A     E9      Z  Upper Case Z
5B     AD      [  Left Square Bracket
5C     E0      \  Backslash
5D     BD      ]  Right Square Bracket
5E     5F      ^  Circumflex
5F     6D      _  Underscore
60     79      `  Accent Grave
61     81      a  Lower Case A
62     82      b  Lower Case B
63     83      c  Lower Case C
64     84      d  Lower Case D
65     85      e  Lower Case E
66     86      f  Lower Case F
67     87      g  Lower Case G
68     88      h  Lower Case H
69     89      i  Lower Case I
6A     91      j  Lower Case J
6B     92      k  Lower Case K
6C     93      l  Lower Case L
6D     94      m  Lower Case M
6E     95      n  Lower Case N
6F     96      o  Lower Case O
70     97      p  Lower Case P
71     98      q  Lower Case Q
72     99      r  Lower Case R
73     A2      s  Lower Case S
74     A3      t  Lower Case T
75     A4      u  Lower Case U
76     A5      v  Lower Case V
77     A6      w  Lower Case W
78     A7      x  Lower Case X
79     A8      y  Lower Case Y
7A     A9      z  Lower Case Z
7B     C0      {  Left Curly Brace
7C     4F      |  Vertical Bar
7D     D0      }  Right Curly Brace
7E     A1      ~  Tilde

------------------------------

Subject: Borland's Turbo "C" is good
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 87 17:39:21 PDT
From: jimc@MATH.UCLA.EDU

I made a quick test of Borland's Turbo "C" on our machines, compiling the
Drystone benchmark, a program of 467 lines / 14.5 Kbytes which tests non-
floating-point operations.  I also compared the performance of Microsoft "C".
Timing was as follows (VAX data for reference):

       Compiler Code size   Compile Link    Run -R        Run +R
   PC-AT, hard disc, msc temp files on RAMdisc
       tcc      23750         6       5      39 (1282)     41 (1219)
       msc      23084        28      14      48 (1041)     47 (1063)
   PC-XT, hard disc, no RAMdisc
       tc       (Same)       17      10     124 ( 403)    123 ( 406)
       msc                   82      24     149 ( 335)    137 ( 364)
   PC-XT, dual 360Kb floppy
       tcc                   39      41     (Same)        (Same)
       msc                  139     102
   VAX 11/780, sysV.2
       cc                                   ~33 (1565)    ~32 (1515)

Times in seconds, code size in bytes.  The run numbers in parens are the
drystone rating in thousands of passes per second.  "-R" is without register
variables and "+R" is with; drystone is not register-intensive.  "tcc" is the
analog of UNIX "cc", while "tc" is the "integrated development environment"
with menus, built-in editor, etc.  Their compilation speed was the same.

RAMdisc is not used; the compiler puts temporary data in a giant core
allocation, so the effect is the same as a RAMdisc.  The compiler-linker
produces standard .OBJ and .EXE files.  As with UNIX cc, linking is automatic
unless suppressed with -c.  The compiler can fork masm (Microsoft assembler)
for .ASM files.

The compiler compiled the file with no problems.  The "integrated development
environment" was easy to use (I am familiar with the Turbo editor, which was
ported), and I very much appreciate the feature to coordinate error messages
and the source code location of the error.  One problem: since the editor
window shares space with the error messages, the main menu line and the help
line, you get only about 12 lines on the screen.  There may be a way to devote
the whole screen to editing -- I didn't have time in this quick evaluation to
thoroughly learn the editor setup controls -- but if not I would want to do
major coding and revisions with another editor, e.g. Micro-Emacs in 43-line
mode.  The editor was fine for fixing small errors, though.  And unlike Turbo
Pascal, you compile the whole program and get to see all the error messages
at once.

The libraries and include files seemed complete -- even a getFAT function,
of all things.  8087 support is included (but I didn't test it).

The documentation was nicely laid out (and printed with the traditional UNIX
fonts!)  What I scanned seemed complete.  The manuals are easier to use than
the manual for Turbo Pascal.

In summary, this compiler would be an excellent buy at Microsoft prices, and
is a steal at $99 (list; substantial discounts available).  I'm going to buy
one for myself.

James F. Carter        (213) 825-8861
UCLA-Mathnet; 6608B MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1600
UUCP:...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,{hao!cepu}}!ucla-cs!math.ucla.edu!jimc
ARPA: jimc@math.ucla.edu            BITNET: jimc%math.ucla.edu@WISCVM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1987  00:01 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: MicroEMACS version 3.8i update on SIMTEL20

MicroEMACS version 3.8f has been replaced with version 3.8i on
SIMTEL20.

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.MICRO-EMACS>
EMACSDOC38I.ARC.1		BINARY	148608  AE3DH
EMACSEXE38I.ARC.1		BINARY	327808  DF76H
EMACSSRC38I.ARC.1		BINARY	236288  4BF1H

My apologies to anyone inconvenienced by this update appearing so soon
after my previous announcement.

--Keith Petersen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 87 12:24:29 EDT
From: rochester!srs!dan@seismo.CSS.GOV (Dan Kegel)
Subject: Bug in DEBUG

DEBUG 3.x does have a bug in loading hex files, but only when you
try to specify the filename from the command line; if you do it inside DEBUG,
    A> debug
    -N foo.hex
    -L
I think it loads fine.

However, no version of Debug I know checks for checksum errors, and
hexfiles with data in locations 0x0 - 0x100 require you to increment the
DS (CS?) register by 0x10 before doing the L, or DEBUG will crash.
All in all, if you have lots of hex files to play with, you're better off
writing your own Intel hex file converter...
- Dan Kegel (seismo!rochester!srs!dan)
to write your own Intel Hex loader, really.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Jun 87 17:46:06 EDT
From: Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa) <jcmorris@mitre.arpa>

Thanks for the note.  I found the same thing while experimenting with the
code a few days ago, but didn't know if I was seeing a real bypass or a
false completion.  Where did you find out about that restriction?  IBM,
as usual, hasn't bothered to report any such problem to the peons who
buy their products...

Incidentally, the application is limited to YTERM.  Yale provides a copy
of the entire T program in .HEX form;  the user can modify the installation
exits which begin at a fixed displacement into T.  You regenerate the module
by loading the standard T.HEX, then overlay the exit area by loading
MYMODS.HEX into the user area, then writing the whole thing out (after
modifying CX).  Think of it as a cheap linkage editor.  The files are in
.HEX format to permit transmission to remote sites which have only data-stream
capture ability.  Since I don't need that ability I can use the .COM files
instead, but I usually try documented procedures once before rolling my own.

Thanks again for your note.

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre.arpa)

------------------------------

Date:  3 Jun 1987 16:27:16 PDT
Subject: Kwic-index.txt
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@C.ISI.EDU>

has been updated in the <info-ibmpc> directory. It is current as of
1 June 1987. KWIC-INDEX.TXT is nearly 1 MB long so allow plenty of
time for FTP.

The BBS has also been updated the key word search feature uses this new kwic

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 02 Jun 87 14:50 PDT
From:    Todd Booth 213-825-1933     <CSDCTGB@UCLA-CCN.ARPA>
Subject: Token Ring Digest

Token-Ring Digest Introduction and General Information (as of 5/31/87)

This document serves as an introduction to the PC Token-Ring Digest,
which was organized in May of 1986.  Any corrections or suggestions to
this document should be sent to Todd Booth.

Some of the vendors which receive this digest and redistribute it within
their organization are: 3COM, DEC, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Proteon, Sun,
Ungermann-Bass Inc., and Xerox.

Some countries that receive the digest are by the Internet and BitNet
are: Belgium, Canada, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan,
Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, not to mention the US!

Name - The name of this organization is the PC-Token-Ring User's
       Group, hereinafter referred to as TRUG.

Objectives - (TRUG) has been set up to provide users with timely and
     accurate vendor product information and to further the overall user
     technical knowledge of Token-Ring LANs.  All newsletters are
     broadcast around the world in electronic form only.  Users are
     encouraged to share the information with others.  Some welcomed PC
     Token Ring Network topics are:

       LAN Design and Management
       Information on Token-Ring Research Projects Underway
       Network Hardware (Repeaters, Gateways, Bridges, and Repeaters
       PC Electronic Mail (and Mail Gateways)
       Discussion of Network Operating Systems
         (IBM PC LAN, Novell's NetWare, Banyan's Vines, 3COM's 3 +, ...)

     For example, general discussion of Novell's NetWare is encouraged,
     so long as network hardware issues are not brought up.  (Unless
     you're talking rings.)  It may turn out that a large percentage of
     the information in the digest is of interest to general LAN users.

     Announcements of books, papers, new products, public domain
     software, etc. are also welcome.  Public domain programs are
     available for members to download.

Electronic Digest - The Electronic Digest will normally be published
weekly.

Todd Booth
UCLA Data Communications Group
OAC / 5628 MSA
Los Angeles, CA  90024-1557

Arpanet:  todd@locus.ucla.EDU, booth@oac.ucla.EDU
Bitnet:   csdctgb@uclamvs
TRN BBS:  (213) 206-1430
Voice:    (213) 825-1933

Token-Ring User's Group BBS via modem Documentation (as of 5/31/87)

COMMUNICATIONS INFO:
     (213) 206-1430
     1200 bps - Bell 212
     8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit
     half duplex - local echo

GENERAL:
     Special files and programs are available to ease the use of the
     TRUG BBS.  This is the primary method of support.  You may
     download the required files for this service free of charge
     by connecting to the BBS and answering the appropriate questions.

FILE TYPES:
     There are two file types kept on the system, text and binary.  The
     text files may have the extension .txt, .doc, .dir, or no extension at
     all.  Binary files will have the extension .com, .exe, or .arc.
     The files ending in "ARC" are in compressed format and require the
     program arc.exe to decompress.  This program is found in the
     TRUG directory.  When the program arc.exe is run without
     parameters, it will display a description of how to decompress files.

DIRECTORY AREAS: Several directories have been created and contain
     different categories of files.  You may change to the home (where
     you start) directory with the command, cd.  Then you may change to
     another directory with the command, cd, followed by the directory
     name.  For example to change to the DIGESTS directory, issue the
     command, "cd digests" dir.

     Here is a list of some directories and their use:

       digests   Weekly TRUG digests area
       trug      LAN public domain and vendor demo program area
       ucla      UCLA Specific programs and documents
       upload    Upload your contributions and public domain files here
                 You must leave your full name and phone number and
                 can expect a call to verify you are the donator.
                 (or send them in the US mail to the address below)

AVAILABLE COMMANDS:
        private - Send sysop message or contribute information
        help    - Displays complete command summary

** BITNET Access Information and Introduction (as of 5/31/87)

If you have access to the Bitnet read on:

Eric Thomas has written an incredible set of software programs that
maintains the TRUG Bitnet mailing list and allows self-registration.  If
you are on Bitnet and wish to be put on the mailing list, send an
electronic mail message to "LISTSERV@IRISHVM" with the following lines:

     SUBscribe PC-TOKEN your_full_name
     HELP

This will put you on the mailing list and also send you further
information on additional available commands (such as to unsubscribe).

All the digests have been archived and may be retrieved by sending an
electronic mail message to LISTSERV@IRISHVM.  To get a list of all the
digests available, send the message:

     GET PC-TOKEN NOTEBOOK

Not all the digest numbers (87-000xx) correspond to the actual digests,
but to get an individual digest, (for example 1987 # 14), send the
message:

     GET PC-TOKEN 87-00014

Note that you do not need to be registered with PC-TOKEN to retrieve
archived digests.

To contribute articles send a message to:   PC-Token@IRISHVM

** Internet Access Information and Introduction (as of 5/31/87)

To be put on our Internet mailing list, you must send up an alias with
the name, "pc-token" which will redistribute the Digest to all
interested people at your organization.  Once this has been done send a
message to the address listed below, including your name, company
name and daytime phone number.

Administration - PC-Token-Ring-Request@oac.ucla.EDU
Send entries to: PC-Token-Ring@oac.ucla.EDU

Coordinator: Todd Booth - UCLA todd@cs.ucla.EDU
(213) 825-1933 day or (213) 859-1999 home

FTP access: LAN program files may be FTP'ed to any Arpanet/Milnet host
from Simtel20.arpa PD:<msdos.lan> by logging in to FTP with username
ANONYMOUS, password GUEST.  You should then GET the file
anonymous-info.txt from the default directory.  This contains a very
good description of the procedures available to GET other files and to
find out what files are available.  Some of the files available are:
     PD:<MSDOS.LAN>
     PCWATCH.UPD.1 - Patch for IBM PDS program PCWATCH for TRN CCBs
     PLANNER.ARC.1 - Demo of ATC's TRN Cabling Planning Program
     SNIFFER.ARC.1 - Demo of Network General's TRN Monitor/Analyzer Program
     TOKDEMO.ARC.1 - IBM Token-Ring Network Demo (Very educational)

To donate a program to the library, send a description of the program to
Todd Booth via EMail or via the TRUG BBS and leave your EMail address
and phone number.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 28 May 1987 19:11:17 CDT
From: Mark S. Zinzow <Markz%UIUCVMD.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: bituudec.c

A couple months ago I got two uuencoded files in a single mail message
via bitnet.  I modified the uudecode source I had obtained from the
Exec-PC BBS in Milwaukee to handle blank lines and to add trailing spaces
if necessary during the decoding process.  Here's my code with details
in the comments.  Some of my modifications might be worth merging
with the other versions being distributed on Simtel20.  I sent my version
to CU and they are distributing it with kermit sources.

There is one problem I haven't looked into as it's easy enough to get
around.  For some reason it bombs under PC Network, I think because
of a conflict in setting the file permission modes.  I just don't run
it under PC Net (IBM's Lan 1.1).  I haven't checked, but I doubt I
introduced that bug.

[BITUUDEC.C allows wild card decoding of several uuencoded files. It also
ignores bitnet mangling of uuencoded files. -wab]

 -------Electronic Mail-------------------------U.S. Mail--------------------
ARPA: zinzow%uiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu  Mark S. Zinzow, Research Programmer
BITNET: MARKZ@UIUCVMD.BITNET        Computing Services Office
To BITNET from ARPA or UUCP:        University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
MARKZ%UIUCVMD.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu 150 Digital Computer Laboratory
CSNET: zinzow%uiucuxe@uiuc.csnet  1304 West Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL 61801
USENET/UUCP: {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee,cmcl2,seismo}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!zinzow
 Phone: (217) 244-1289  Office: CSOB 109  ihnp4!pyrchi/

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 1 Jun 1987 14:08 CET
From: ESC1332%ESOC.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Minix Operating System

 I (with a group of others) am trying to get hold of the Tannenbaum MINIX
 OS diskette set as described in his recent book. It's being supplied in
 the US, but here in Germany, there have been some delays. Can anyone advise
 me of a source in Europe (or has someone in Europe already got a copy), or
 perhaps someone can tell me of a reliable mail-order vendor in the US from
 whom I could get a quick copy.

 By the way.. what's it really like?

[There is a separate minix mailing list. I don't know how to get to it from
your bitnet site. Perhaps someone in Europe can help. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:	Sun, 31 May 87 21:02:25 PDT
From:     HUDGENS%FSU.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Sun PC-NFS query

  I would like to know if anyone out there has had much experience
with the Sun PC-NFS network software for the PC.  I am interested
mostly in problems installing application software.  We currently
have a small undergraduate lab with 15 PC's served by a Sun-2/170
fileserver.  We have had problems getting Guru (MDBS) and Rbase to
run correctly in this environment.  Both were designed for Novelle
and PCNET type environments, and don't work very well in the PCNFS
environment.

  Thanks in advance for any responses.
                Jim Hudgens
                hudgens%fsu-mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  1 Jun 87 02:40:33 EDT
From: "Philip A. Prindeville" <PAP4@ai.ai.mit.edu>
Subject:  Concurrent DOS

I was wondering if anyone has experience working on Concurrent
DOS (CDOS?), and knows what kind of facilities it offers that
PCDOS doesn't.  I would assume it offers a fairly reasonable set
of tasking primitives.  Has anyone tried to port PC/IP to
concurrent dos?  Is this a reasonable ambition?

Thanks for any info.

-Philip

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 1 Jun 87 16:54 EST
From:     <TOM%FANDM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> (Tom - Technical Support Center)
Subject:  EPROM Programmer

Greetings;

I have just been authorized to spend in the neighborhood of $700 for
an EPROM eraser and EPROM programmer.  I would appreciate any recommendations
or condemnations based on the following criteria:

        1. Neither the eraser nor the programmer need handle more than
        one EPROM at a time.

        2. The programmer can be either stand-alone or IBM-PC based,
        although  I would assume the PC based programmer would give me
        more for the money.

        3. The operator of this equipment (me) doesn't know anything
        about programming and doesn't really have the time to learn...
        i.e. I want to put a known good EPROM in, read the program, and
        put it on a blank.

        4. The programmer needs to be able to handle as many different
        EPROMS as possible, different sizes, pin counts, and programming
        voltages.

        As you can tell, I am a total novice to this, but our need is great
so I want to get as much out of the money as I can.

        Please reply directly to TOM@FANDM on bitnet.  I will summarize to the
net if response warrants.  Thanks for your help!!!

DISCLAIMER: My boss thinks I forgot my password months ago.

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 2 Jun 87 15:29 EDT
From:     <V132GVG4%UBVMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  EGA Status Register

        I need to know if the Enhanced Graphics Adapter has a status
register similar to one on the Color Graphics Adapter.  The CGA sets a
bit on when the display's electron guns are shut off and reset to the
upper left hand corner of the screen.  Once this vertical retrace is
completed and the beam is turned on, the bit is then set off.  On the CGA
this is the third bit in the status register at port address 3DA hex.
        If the EGA has such a status register, what bit signals vertical
retrace and what is the register's port address?  If the EGA signals
vertical retrace in some other way, what is it?
        Thanks for the help.

                                Ed Pristach
                                Dept. of Psychology
                                S.U.N.Y at Buffalo
                                Park Hall
                                Amherst, N.Y. 14226

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 02 Jun 87 13:00:08 MEZ
From:         Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Filesize in TURBO PASCAL

Recently when using UUDECODE.PAS from SIMTEL20 I found a problem.
There is a filesize indicator using the filesize function which
yields an integer value. So there are problems as soon as the file has
more than 32767 bytes (if it is a textfile). But those are not uncommon
filesizes.
Does anyone out there know a way of handling bigger filesizes for
texfiles in a correct way.
And the same integer problem also shows up when using the Turbo Database
Toolbox. According to the manual the toolbox should handle files up to
65535 records. It creates databases bigger than 32767 records, but it then
cannot find records in the "upper half".
Is there a way around this problem?
E. Neuwirth

[Get any of the source language uudecodes and change the appropriate variable
deceleration to 32 bit integer and recompile. I don't know if there is
source for Turbo Database Toolbox. -wab]

------------------------------

From: zz1ml%sdcc3@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Michael Laver)
Subject: 1.2 Meg drives on an XT?
Date: 2 Jun 87 22:23:48 GMT

We have a PC/XT in our student terminal area that's used for general
file transfer and storage of public domain programs. We'd like to be
able to read and write 1.2 meg floppies for AT users, but don't need
the processing power of an 80286. The question is: Is it possible to
add a high density floppy to an 8086/88 based system?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 87 21:45:28 EDT
From: Robert_H._Voelker@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Tektronix T4010 plots to PostScript

        Does anyone know of commercial or public domain IBM-PC software
that will convert plot files in the Tektronix T4010 (or T4014, etc.)
command format into PostScript files?

        I can be reached by this net or US Mail.

        Thank you,

        Robert H. Voelker
        Solid-State Electronics Laboratory
        EECS Building
        The University of Michigan
        Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2122 USA

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 3 Jun 87 14:45 EDT
From:    MCDONALB%QUCDN.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: AutoCAD Tektronix 4663 or Ramtek 6211 Driver Wanted

   I am looking for a driver program for either Auto-Cad or Cadkey that
will allow a tektronix 4663 plotter and/or a Ramtek 6211 graphics terminal
to work, with those cad packages. Please send any reply to:
                     Mcdonaldb @ QUCDN.BITNET
                                   Thanks in advance

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 3 Jun 87 12:34:36 cdt
From:     James Gregory <jgregory@ALMSA-1.ARPA>
Subject:  PC Assembler Training

We need a two to three week IBM PC MS-DOS assembler language course for
novices.  Are there sources for such training and, if so, how do we get in
contact with them?  The preferred training location will be in Chambersburg,
PA.

Please respond directly to me.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Gregory