[comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest] Info-IBMPC Digest, V6 #52

Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (07/23/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest     Wednesday, July 22, 1987     Volume 6 : Issue 52

Today's Editor:  Richard Gillmann

Today's Topics:

                Improved Patch for Procomm w/ DOS 3.x
                               Deb2asm
                   TOPS-20 COMND Jsys in C (2 msgs)
                        Turbo C bugs (3 msgs)
                              DRIVPARMS
                           PS/2 disk cache
                            MS FTN 4.0 BUG
          Recovering backed up dBase files without last disk
                       Dbase Disk Full Problem
                    LaserWriters .vs. PC software.
                          MicroEMACS sources
                           PD Editor wanted
                          Update to MOUSE.E
                     3D Surface Plotting Program
     Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MSDOS subdirectory names

Today' Queries:

               WE-FAX, METEOSAT, METEOR decoder wanted
                                PC MOS
                            DESQVIEW Query
                          Number Nine Query
                     MS C compiler V 4.00 Problem
               Problem with Turbo Pascal and 2 printers
      Query: Prolog expert systems / work shift planning system.
                             LAN Question
             Question about interrupt driven LAN protocol
            Cataloging Software Wanted for a small library
                  Print screen problem on PCDOS 3.3
                  Newspaper Billing software wanted
                          Kaypro -> PC Query
              PS/2 Microchannel 5.25 1.2Mb drive wanted
               Memory Resident Program Extractor Wanted
                HP Laserjet II Hebrew softfont Wanted
                    Need machine roundoff constant

INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
Date: 13 Jul 87 12:54:02 GMT
Subject: Improved Patch for Procomm w/ DOS 3.x

Please replace my original patch for Procomm with the one supplied
here.  The first patch I developed was really a quick-and-dirty hack
which disabled the stack checker whereas the patch given below leaves
it enabled but removes a call to it in the routine which handles INT
1B (Control Break).

Procomm stack overflow patch:

Symptoms:
	Procomm v. 2.42 when running on PC DOS 3.2 and MS DOS 3.x
(some versions) will hang if CTRL-BREAK is pressed.  The message
"stack overflow" will be emitted as well as possibly some garbage
before the computer "locks up."

Cure: (Patching procedure)
With a copy of your procomm.exe file (not the original of course) do:

	RENAME PROCOMM.EXE PROCOMM.BIN
	DEBUG PROCOMM.BIN
	E 83D 90 90 90
	RENAME PROCOMM.BIN PROCOMM.EXE

The above procedure assumes procomm.exe is in the current directory
and debug is loadable (in current dir, or in a dir in PATH).  If
anything happens which is not understood, simply omit the W command
above (which writes to disk) and use Q (to quit) instead.

Technical details:
	Procomm v. 2.42 has a stack checker which is called on
function entry to insure sufficient stack space for the function to
execute.  PC DOS 3.2 and some MS DOS 3.x versions have an "improved"
stack management service which insures that each new hardware
interrupt which occurs is given a new stack to use in its interrupt
service routine.  The size of these stacks and their number are
settable with the CONFIG.SYS option STACKS=n,s (number, size).
	The "stack overflow" error discovered by procomm occurs
because DOS, in response to the CTRL-BREAK interrupt, has switched
stacks to one from the DOS stack pool, and Procomm is assuming its own
stack is still in use.  The limits used in the stack check routine
fail because the DOS stacks are normally much smaller (512 bytes by
default) than the stack used by Procomm.
	The easiest way to solve the disagreement about stack
ownership is to remove the call to the stack checking routine from the
interrupt handler for CTRL-BREAK.  The above patch does exactly this.
Procomm is otherwise happy to use the DOS supplied stack since
servicing the BREAK request does not require lots of stack space.
	There may be another option for DOS 3.3 users:  It is possible
with DOS 3.3 to disable the DOS stack swapping by putting STACKS=0 in
the CONFIG.SYS file.  I have not tried this, but my understanding of
the problem indicates this should also work.

    Gordon W. Ross              Phone: (617) 271-3205
    The MITRE Corporation       ARPA: linus!gwr@MITRE-BEDFORD
    Bedford, MA  01730		UUCP: decvax!linus!gwr

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 17 Jul 87 15:39 N
From:     <KRANENBU%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Deb2asm
To:       info-ibmpc-request@c.isi.edu

I would like to contribute the appended program DEB2ASM to the library.
DEB2ASM converts a disassembly output from the DOS DEBUG program to a more
regular and (hopefully) more legible format. The source is in TURBO pascal
and is packaged with an I/O -include- file. You will need SORT.BOX
(Borland Turbo Toolbox) or provide your own sorting routine.

The program produces labels from the hexadecimal offsets (both code-labels
and variables) appearing in debugger output and constructs a cross-reference
table with declarations of variables in the format:

     V_XXXX    LABEL    <TYPE> ; R_XXXX, R_XXXX, ...

     where <TYPE> is BYTE, WORD or DWORD
     and the R_XXXX's are the locations where the variable
     occurs in the code.

Usage of a memory location as more than one type (referenced both as a
BYTE and as a WORD for instance) results in multiple entries in the this table.

However, segment declarations are not generated and intersegment references are
not detected (this is an invitation, of cause).

Useful for deciphering ROM's of which the manufacturer failed to publish a
proper listing (for instance my PARADISE Graphics card, which makes improper
 use of the NMI line (IOCHK) on my PC).

I also managed to regenerate the missing part of the AT BIOS Listing this way
(PC-AT Technical Reference, POST6 routine). I never saw a supplement from IBM
here.
If anyone is interested (and if it is not illegal) I can also post it as an
example of the ouput generated by Deb2asm.

Please let me know,

P. Kranenburg. (KRANENBU@HLERUL5.BITNET).

[DEB2ASM.PAS has been added to the library. -rag]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 25 Jun 87 15:09:44-EDT
From: Ken Rossman <sy.Ken@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New CCMD info distribution list available

dealing with the CCMD package (TOPS-20 COMND% Jsys emulation written in C).

If you wish to be added to this list, please send mail to:

  Info-CCMD-Request@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU

Currently, CCMD runs under Berkeley 4.x Unix, System V, and MS-DOS.  We'd
like to see some other ports come along too.  If there is anyone currently
working on porting CCMD to something not mentioned above, or would like to
work on porting CCMD to another OS, we'd like to hear about it (VMS comes
to mind).

CCMD source code is available via ANONYMOUS FTP from CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU.
Files are in directory CCMD: (WS:<SOURCE.CCMD>).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 87 17:23:13 EDT
From: Fuat Baran <fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu>
To: info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
Subject: TOPS-20 COMND Jsys in C

Below is a copy of the intro documentation for CCMD.  I don't think we
ever sent this to INFO-IBMPC.  The CCMD package runs under MS-DOS so I
thought it might be of some interest to your readers.

					--Fuat Baran
					  CUCCA Academic Systems Group

                                     CCMD

                   TOPS-20 COMND JSYS EMULATION PACKAGE IN C

INTRODUCTION

     CCMD  is  a  library of user and program interface routines, written in C,
based on the TOPS-20  COMND Jsys.

     CCMD  provides  a  means for prompting and for parsing commands in various
forms (keywords, switches, fields, numbers, dates and/or times, tokens,  single
characters,  file  names,  user  names, group names, paragraphs, lines of text,
quoted strings, confirmation, noise (guide  strings),  etc.).    CCMD  provides
incremental  help.    At  any point during a parse the user can type a question
mark and the parser will provide  a  brief  help  message  describing  possible
reponses  at that point in the parse.  When the user types an escape the parser
will try to complete the command if a unique completion exists or it will  give
as much partial completion as possible and wait for more input from the user.

     CCMD  also  provides  a  simple  set of line editing control characters to
delete characters, words and lines, and to redisplay command lines or clear the
screen.   A limited history mechanism is also provided.  The last command typed
can be recalled by a single keystroke (^H).

SUPPORTED SYSTEMS

     CCMD was developed at Columbia University by Andrew Lowry and  Howie  Kaye
under 4.2BSD and later under DEC Ultrix 1.2 and MS-DOS.

     CCMD  currently  runs  under UNIX BSD 4.[23], Ultrix 1.2, SysV, SunOS, and
MS-DOS 3.1.  We are planning on porting it to HP-UX and  VMS  sometime  in  the
future.

MAILING LISTS

     There  are  two  mailing lists which you may wish to join.  One of them is
dedicated specifically to CCMD related  issues  and  the  other  is  for  other
TOPS-20 to Unix conversion discussions.

                         Info-CCMD@CU20B.Columbia.EDU
                     Info-CCMD-Request@CU20B.Columbia.EDU
                        Info-TOPSUX@CU20B.Columbia.EDU
                    Info-TOPSUX-Request@CU20B.Columbia.EDU

     Please  send  mail  to the -Request address if you wish to be added to the
list or need to get in touch with the coordinator of the mailing lists.

     CCMD bug reports may be sent to

                         Bug-CCMD@CU20B.Columbia.EDU.

     Bug reports may also be sent to

                      ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!bug-ccmd

via UUCP.

SOURCE

     CCMD may be obtained via  anonymous  FTP  from  CU20B.Columbia.EDU.    The
source  code  resides in [CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU] WS:<SOURCE.CCMD> (note that it is
on the WS: structure, not PS:).

     If you wish to get the sources in UNIX tar format they are  available  via
anonymous FTP from cunixc.columbia.edu in ~ftp/ccmd.tar.

NOTES

     There are a couple of things that you should be aware of:

   - The  CCMD  package  is  copyrighted,  and the copyright notice should
     always accompany the software.

   - CCMD is freely distributed, as long as it is not  resold.    See  the
     actual   copyright   notices   accompanying  the  software  for  more
     information.

   - Neither Columbia University nor anyone working for  Columbia  assumes
     any  responsibility  for  support  of  the  code,  or for its correct
     operation.  However, we would appreciate it  if,  in  the  spirit  of
     friendly   program  development  and  sharing,  any  of  you  who  do
     development with this package would let us know if you find any bugs,
     or  make  any  changes,  so  we  can  incorporate the bugfixes and/or
     changes into the source copies here.

   - This package is still under development and may change without  prior
     notice.

CONTACT

     If you wish to get in touch with the maintainers of CCMD you may send mail
to:

        Howie Kaye or Fuat C. Baran
        Columbia University
        Center for Computing Activities
        712 Watson Labs.
        612 West 115th Street
        New York, NY 10025
        (212) 280-2874 or (212) 280-5128
        howie@cunixc.columbia.edu  (...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!howie)
        fuat@cunixc.columbia.edu  (...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!fuat)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 87 09:07:33 CDT
From: Esmail Bonakdarian <bonak%cs.uiowa.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: (yet another) Turbo C bug?

Does anybody know why this parameter passing does not work? Is this
yet another Turbo C bug? If this has already been discussed please
point me to the source of discussion.

         main()
         { float a,b;

           a = b = 1;

           printf("Enter two numbers: ");
           scanf("%f %f", &a, &b);
           printf("You entered %4.2f %4.2f.\n", a, b);
           printf("%4.2f * %4.2f = %4.2f\n\n", a, b, a * b);
           operate(a, b);
         }

         operate( a, b)
         float a, b;
         {
          printf("in sub:\n%4.2f * %4.2f = %4.2f",  a,  b,  a  *  b);
         }

PROGRAM OUTPUT:
                        C:\TEMP\C>double.exe
                        Enter two numbers: 3 4
                        You entered 3.00 4.00.
                        3.00 * 4.00 = 12.00

                        in sub:
                        0.00 * 2.12 = 0.00

This code compiles and runs on MSC and on  4.3BSD UNIX C.

Some information about my machine and the software I'm using:

Turbo C is run on a HPVectra (AT compatible) with 640 K. I have
version 3.10 of MS-DOS.

thanks in advance for any information/suggestion/explanation. I'm
relatively new to C programming, but I just don't see what might be
the cause of this output.

esmail bonakdarian

------------------------------

Date:         Sat, 11 Jul 87 19:49:36 EDT
From:         J Law <PHYJLAW%UOGUELPH.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      TurboC "bug"?

I would like to thank J P Nelson & Billy Vol 6 #50, for putting the TurboC
patches on INFO-IBMPC.  Here is another little problem, which is still
not solved by the patches.  Maybe it is my understanding of the "double"
type usage: Anyway, here it is, from the TurboC User Guide pg85, and subsequent
paragraph, mentions changing the example by replacing the int a,b; by float
Works fine, except I then went a step further and replaced float by double.
Compilation is fine, on run, if you enter 10.0,3.0 you get the magic
statement: "underflow"  (it was overflow before I put the patches in)"

main()
{    /* modified as per page 85 TurboC user guide */
     /* This works fine                           */
        float a,b,ratio,prod;
        printf("Enter 2 numbers: ");
        scanf("%g %g",&a,&b);
        ratio = a/b ;prod=a*b;
        printf("Ratio is %g  product is %g\n",ratio,prod);
}

main()
{    /* modified as per page 85 TurboC user guide */
     /* This doesn't. Compiles fine, but
        fails on run time with errors: underflow  */

        double a,b,ratio,prod;
        printf("Enter 2 numbers: ");
        scanf("%g %g",&a,&b);
        ratio = a/b ;prod=a*b;
        printf("Ratio is %g  product is %g\n",ratio,prod);
}

All help gratefully acknowledged.  Maybe it's the scanf function
which can't handle "double"?

NetNorth/BitNet: Phyjlaw @ UOGUELPH
J Law, Physics  Dept, Univ of Guelph, Guelph, Canada N1G 2W1.

------------------------------

Subject: TurboC DTM
To: cit-vax!info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
From: oxy!bagpiper@csvax.caltech.edu (Michael Paul Hunter)
Date: 14 Jul 87 19:19:42 PST

People keep mentioning stuff about TurboC bugs and their fixes.  From
what I gather, the DTM of the file(s) change but not the version number(1.0).
We have a version of TurboC that we are thinking of using on a project.  If
anybody could post (I think this is of general interest) the DTM's of each
new mini-minor version, it would be a help.  At the least I would be interested
in the DTM of the most current copy of TurboC that Borland is shipping.

                                    Thanks

Michael Hunter         UUCP  : ....{seismo, rutgers, ames}!cit-vax!oxy!bagpiper
Box 241                ARPA  : oxy!bagpiper@csvax.caltech.edu
Occidental College     BITNET: oxy!bagpiper@hamlet.bitnet
Los Angeles, CA 90041  CSNET : oxy!bagpiper%csvax.caltech.edu@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 10 Jul 1987 10:16 EDT
From:         Villy G Madsen <VMADSEN@UALTAVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      DRIVPARMS

Some time ago it was mentioned that PC/DOS would also allow use of the
DRIVPARMS entry in the config.sys file.

I used it successfully with V3.2, after having added a 3.5" drive to a
xt clone. I have discovered that it doesn't work with PC/DOS 3.3. We must
realize that the changes to the drive table are ONLY required so that FORMAT
will work properly. When you stick a diskette in the drive, DOS reads the BPB
from the first sector, and modifies the drive tables accordingly. Format, of
course uses the default for the drive.

Interestingly enough, the entry for DRIVPARM is still present in IBMBIO.COM.
They have either disabled it, without actually removing from the list of
acceptable responses, or the format has changed. DRIVPARMS is not mentioned
in either the DOS manual, or the Tech Ref manual, as far as I can see.

Does one have any info about DRIVPARMS under 3.3, or failing that any ideas
about how one could path the default drive tables ??? I realize that I could
use driver.sys, and that does work, but who needs another device driver eating
up memory ??

           Villy

------------------------------

To: seismo!comp-sys-ibm-pc-digest@seismo.CSS.GOV
From: harvard!bucsb.bu.edu!madd@seismo.CSS.GOV (Jim "Jack" Frost)
Subject: PS/2 disk cache
Date: 11 Jul 87 20:22:11 GMT

This is in reply to one of the articles in info-ibmpc digest v6 #47 on
the disk cache program for PS/2 models 50+.

In article <8706210420.AA19377@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
writes:
>Date: 18 Jun 87   10:56 EST
>From: 26-324%HARVBUS1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>Subject: PS/2 comes with Disk Cache Software that Runs on AT
>
>I've been experimenting with the new PS/2s and have found something that
>may be useful to us ordinary AT users. The model 50 and above come with
>a feature that allows memory to be used as disk cache. However, the
>feature is very well hidden, in more than one sense. There is no mention
>of it in the Model 80 quick reference (I don't recall seeing it in the
>50/60 book either), there is no mention of caching in the nifty menus
>that come up when you boot the Reference Diskette, and the two relevant
>files on the Reference Diskette, IBMCACHE.COM and IBMCACHE.SYS, are
>hidden files.

Both _Byte_ and _PC_ magazines mention the use of the cache.  The
cache uses the above-640k memory on the PS/2 machines.

>I've used IBMCACHE on my AT for two days now, running Desqview, Fastback
>and other fairly demanding programs, with no sign of problems. There is
>a small improvement in speed the first time a file is read, but the real
>advantage comes with repeated reads of the same file, which can be up to
>80% faster. It is possible that problems will crop up after some use, so
>be very careful if you try using IBMCACHE on an AT.

There should be no improvement at all on the first read, but
subsequent reads will be considerably faster (80% should be close, but
I suspect it's a little lower than that).  There should be no problems
at all with using the cache on AT's:  if the PS/2 machines will boot
and run DOS 3.x, then they're close enough to use nearly everything on
the AT's, and vice versa.  The structure of both machines is really
pretty close, at least so far as disk I/O goes.

>By marketing IBMCACHE with the PS/2 reference disk rather than with DOS
>3.3, it appears that Big Blue is trying to give the PS/2 one extra, if
>spurious, performance shot over the AT. Maybe IBM will make caching
>officially available to AT users in the future, but there's no reason
>not to try it now. One note: I have tested caching only with PCDOS 3.3.
>It probably should not be run with earlier versions.

Big Blue is not trying to give the PS/2 something extra.  Check out
the average access times on the drive on the model 50!  I believe it's
something like 80ms, which is SLOW!  I think IBM had lots of extra XT
drives they wanted to pawn off.  If they didn't use a cache, user's
would tear their hair out waiting for things.  As it is, the model 50
should have at least a 40mb drive, not just the 20 they give you.  IBM
is just trying to make up for some really stupid moves.

The program should work on all DOS 3.x's, and maybe even 2.x.  I would
suspect the cache program traps BIOS calls to read the hard drive;
that's easy enough to do and will work even with other drivers
included.

>Rich Stillman
>ARPA/EDUnet: 26-324%HARVBUS1.BITNET
>BITNET: 26-324 at HARVBUS1
>(617)495-6135

You'll have to forgive any small technical inaccuracies here.  I
haven't had the chance to more than glance at the real PS/2 machines,
but I have read a good deal about them.  My personal opinion is that
IBM is blowing it -- the machines (model 50+) are little more than
AT's with a faster clock speed and a better bus, at least until OS/2
comes out.  Want to bet on how long that takes?  I know IBM is too big
to get tossed out of the race, but they sure seem to be trying hard.
Time will tell!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
H-C-C-OH <- heehee          +---------+----------------------------------
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 22 Jul 87  22:08:08 ADT
From:     <REGE210%DAL.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  MS FTN 4.0 BUG
To:       INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU

     A note for MS Ftn 4.0 user's, there is a bug in the eof statement
such that it leaves two bytes on the stack when it returns.  Having
programmed in pascal recently I tried to use the EOF statement in an
if statement to simulate a WHILE NOT EOF loop.  The result was a
stack overflow error at runtime.  I tracked the bug with Codeview and
it showed the stack pointer changing by 2 bytes after every call to EOF.
READ(...,END=label...) does not suffer from this problem and seems to work
ok.

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 14 Jul 87 09:56 PDT
From:     <DBUERGER%SCU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Recovering backed up dBase files without last disk
To:       info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu

Recently one of our users lost the last disk in a set of disks
containing her hard disk backup.  When she tried to restore these disks
following a hard disk crash, the restore wouldn't work.  Most of these
disks contained one large dBase III Plus .dbf file.

The lost disk was #13 of 13.  We tried to fake it as follows:  Using
Norton's Utilities, Adv. Ed., we edited the BACKUPID.@@@ file on disk
#12 such that the backup header became FF0201.  FF is the required
header representing the last disk, and 0201 designate #12.

We then went into the DATA.DBF file on disk #12 and went to the end of
that file, deleting the data in the last record visible, and replacing
it with an "end-of-file" marker.  In this case, dBase appeared to
require two right arrows for this marker, produced with the characters
of 1A1A.

Everything seemed fine at that point, but the restore still backfired
on the 12th disk.  Can anyone tell me what we've overlooked?  I'll post
the result to the net if it works.  Thanks.

David J. Buerger
P.C. Center, Santa Clara University
dbuerger%scu.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu (internet)
dbuerger@scu.bitnet (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 14 Jul 87 17:10 EST
From:     <OPER2%TRINCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Dbase Disk Full Problem
To:       info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu

I need help on dBASE III+ !!!

    I got a disk full error message on my program when I tried to save a memo
field to the .dbt file. The error message is the following:

    Disk full when writing file: filename.dbt.

and the program terminates.

    But, I have 2 megabytes of memory left in the hard disk.  Also, when I
am creating new record to the data file in my program, it will save my
new record only if I am not editing the memo field.

    I would really appreciate some one can help me for the problem!!!

                                        Hao Loi
                                        dBASE III+ programmer

[Have you done a CHKDSK?  Perhaps there are loose clusters. -rag]

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jul 87 16:16 +0500
From: Neal Holtz <holtz%cascade.carleton.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: info-ibmpc@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: LaserWriters .vs. PC software.

We have a LaserWriter attached to a PC-clone via RS232C (soon to be
networked, in some manner, but will remain serially attached).  We
are using Wordstar 4.0, Wordperfect, TeX and other stuff that emits
straight PostScript.  Problem is that Wordstar only uses Diablo
emulation mode, while everything else sends more or less well-behaved
PostScript (less, in the case of WordPerfect).  All this seems to require
continually changing that silly little rotary switch in the back, to switch
from Diablo emulation mode and back again.

I can't beleive that there isn't a hook into that emulation mode from
LaserWriter PostScript, except I can't find it in my (rather old)
documentation.  Anybody know what it is: i.e., how can I get at the
Diablo emulator without touching the rotary switch?  The alternative
seems to be writing a Diablo emulator in PostScript; if my first
question can't be answered, does anyone have such a beast that they
would be willing to share?

In a related question, it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult
to write a replacement RS232 driver for PC's that would honour
XON/XOFF and DTR protocols, and would pop up little window on the
screen to display messages from the LaserWriter.  Anyone know of
such a thing?

Neal Holtz
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario
(613) 723-0192

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 16 Jul 87 13:32:19 PDT
From:     larry@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: MicroEMACS sources
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isic.arpa

I've had three requests for info on how to get MicroEMACS in this last week
alone.  I should repeat that Dan Lawrence is the best source, since he's
coordinating maintenance of it.  If you can't get it from SIMTEL20 in
PD:<MSDOS.MICRO-EMACS>, try the following bulleting boards.  (The first is
Dan's.)
	The Programmer's Room   FIDO 201/2	(317) 742-5533
		(24 hours)				     300/1200 baud

	The Starship Trooper	Fido 201/1	(317) 423-2281	2400
	Duncan Communications			(317) 567-2143	2400
	Avatar			Fido 201/4	(317) 497-1970	1200

Also MicroEMACS should be availible from USENET via the mod.sources (aka
comp.unix.sources) notegroup, or its archives.

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 16 Jul 1987 21:01 EDT
From: Chris Petersen <petersc0@vuctrvx1.bitnet>
Subject:  PD Editor wanted

    Does anyone out there know of a (good(?)) PD text editor for MS-DOS
which comes with source?  Assembly source would be best, but C or Pascal
will do...  (The only real proviso to this request is that it use as few
'Big Blue' features as possible.)

Thanx,
Chris Petersen
petersc0@vuctrvx1.bitnet

[See previous msg. -rag]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 87 22:39:20 pdt
From: Robert Lenoil <lenoil%apple.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: info-ibmpc%c.isi.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Update to MOUSE.E

Having just got an EGA, I have found out that the Microsoft Mouse driver
initializes the maximum cursor position to 25 rows, even if you're running in
EGA 43 row mode.  The following procedure, from my mouse support for Epsilon,
properly initializes the mouse for all alphanumeric screen modes.  Please
substitute this procedure for the one now in <INFO-IBMPC.EEL>MOUSE.E.  If you
don't feel like editing the file, send me a note and I'll mail you the entire
file.

/* MOUSE_INIT performs mouse initialization, if a mouse is present. */
mouse_init()
{  m_regs.w.ax = 0;
   do_interrupt(MOUSE_SERVICES, &m_regs); /* initialize */
   if (mouse_present = m_regs.w.ax)
   {  /* Some mouse drivers don't know about EGA 43 row mode.  Perform the EGA
       * information call to get the number of rows and manually set the
       * maximum vertical mouse position.
       */
      m_regs.w.ax = 0x1130; /* EGA information call */
      m_regs.b.bh = 0;
      m_regs.b.dl = 24; /* default to 25 in case no EGA in system */
      do_interrupt(VIDEO_IO, &m_regs);
      m_regs.w.ax = 8;
      m_regs.w.cx = 0;
      m_regs.w.dx = (m_regs.b.dl + 1) * CWIDTH - 1;

From: Duy-Minh Nhieu <dmnhieu%math.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Date: 22 Jul 87 20:22:06 GMT
To: comp-sys-ibm-pc-digest%math.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: 3D Surface Plotting Program

I have a 3D surface plotting program to give away, however it is too long
to post here, if you want a copy, please notice me by electronic mail,
please write to:

                 dmnhieu@watmath.uucp

or you can write to:

                   D.M. NHIEU
                   137 University West # 1101
                   Waterloo  Ontario
                   Canada  N2L-3E6

The first 50 persons that ask will receive this program on a diskette
(5 1/4) and postage free, this program is for the IBM PC, XT, AT or
compatibles.

If you are the 51th person to ask, I will ask you to send 2$U.S. for
diskette, postage and handling or you can send me a self addressed
envelope and a blank disk.

Please spell out your address clearly (without ambiguity).
Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1987  21:21 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
To:   INFO-HZ100@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA, INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's MSDOS subdirectory names

As part of a directory reoganization project some of the MSDOS
subdirectories have been renamed.  Here is a handy reference guide
to the latest subdirectory names.  This file is updated when new
subdirectories are added or old ones renamed.  It is called
PD:<MSDOS>MSDOS.DIRLST.

--Keith

--cut here--
Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's PD:<MSDOS.x> directories
as of July 22, 1987 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

ARC-LBR       DESKACCESS    GAMES         NETWORK       SURFMODL
ASMUTL        DIRUTL        GENIE         PACKET        SYSUTL
AUTOCAD       DSKUTL        GRAPH         PCIP          TELNET
BASIC         EDITOR        GRAPHICS      PCMAIL        TURBO-C
BBS           EDUCATION     HAMRADIO      PLOT          TURBOPAS
C             EGA           KEYBOARD      PREPROCESS    TVX-EDITOR
CALCULATOR    EMULATORS     LAN           PRINTER       TXTUTL
CATALOG       FILEDOCS      LISP          PROLOG        UUCP
CIS           FILUTL        MEMACS        SCREEN        VOICE
COMPATIBLES   FLOWCHART     MENU          SPREADSHEET   XLISP
CROSSASM      FORMGEN       MODEM         SQ-USQ
DATABASE      FORTH         MUSIC         STARTER

--Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

------------------------------

Date: 11-JUL-1987 10:32:46.98
From: BTR414 AT DBTHRZ5 <btr414@dbthrz5.bitnet>
To:   BITNET::"ibmpc-l@dearn"
Subject: WE-FAX, METEOSAT, METEOR decoder wanted

Does anybody know of a PD software-decoder for FAX/METEOSAT/METEOR
transmissions using a XT with CGA or EGA.
Please tell me about it (direct).

Thanks in advance

Peter Maisel
University of Bayreuth
<btr414@dbthrz5.bitnet>

------------------------------

To: info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
Subject: PC MOS
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 87 16:58:44 -0400
From: Dave Farber <farber@UDEL.EDU>

I have started trying PC MOS (the Software Link operating system for the
386). If there are others trying it, lets trade war stories.

Dave

------------------------------

Subject: DESQVIEW Query
To: cit-vax!info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
From: oxy!bagpiper@csvax.caltech.edu (Michael Paul Hunter)
Date: 12 Jul 87 16:07:02 PST

From:  davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (   David M. Reed)  <5280012@hplsla.HP.COM>
>I chose DESQview over MS Windows ...
>because I can run LAN and modem communications

I have an old version of DESQVIEW (circa 1.1), but it doesn't allow
communications to run in the background.  I would be highly interested
to know if this is an errant posting (the comm line would be hard to
handle in a multitasking environment) or if DESQVIEW actually pulls it
off.

                           Thankx ,

Date:         Tue, 14 Jul 87 10:15:29 CST
From:         Terry Slocum <CLASSES%UKANVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Number Nine Query
To:           INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Would anyone having information regarding graphics primitives for
a Number Nine 640x480 non-interlaced board, please contact me?

                      Terry Slocum CLASSES@UKANVM BITNET (913) 864-5143

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 14 Jul 87 17:48 EST
From:     Joshua D. Males <josh%ILJCT.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
To:       info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu.bitnet
Subject:  MS C compiler V 4.00 Problem

    I started recently to work with the Microsoft C compiler V 4.00,
but, unfortunately, when I tried to use the library function "printf",
the linker (MS V 3.05) claimed that "printf" is an invalid object code.
the same error was encountered when I tried to compile with the /Zi option,
even for the minimal program: main(){}

The message of the linker was this time, for example :

Invalid object module
Input file: TRY.OBJ(try.c) pos: 10E Record type: 8C

Could you help me find out what is the problem?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 87 09:59:28 pdt
From: ihnp4!dual!cbosgd!cblpf!cblpe!kk@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
To: cblpf!C.ISI.EDU!Info-IBMPC
Subject: Problem with Turbo Pascal and 2 printers

I have just started using Turbo-Pascal in a Radio-Shack Tandy PC-AT.
I would like to know how I can access two printers ( connected to S-8 and
S-10 )?  I tried the "writeprinter" routine given in Turbo-Pascal
book, by alternating the values in the DX register between 1 and 0.
It does seem to print, but the characters are sometime printed twice
and it is extremely slow.  Typically, it pauses about 10-15 seconds
between each character printed.  I would really appreciate if any
readers can supply a procedure I could invoke before printing
on either printer.  Thanks for the help.

kesavan
ihnp4!cblpe!kk
1-614-860-7802

------------------------------

Date:        14 Jul 87 13:43 +0200
From:        "Staffan Johansson" <SJOHAN%QZCOM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
To:          "Info-IBMPC Digest" <INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU>,
             "Prolog (and) Logic Programming" <C169@QZCOM.BITNET>
Subject:     Query: Prolog expert systems / work shift planning system.

I'm looking for (preferably public domain) work shift planning
software for the IBM-AT.  Also looking for expert systems (shells) in
Prolog.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 16 Jul 87 09:35 MST
From:  DMGee@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:  LAN Question
To:  INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU

 I am curious to know what the maximum usable number of active nodes in
a good LAN (say Novell) is.

  The most I have heard of is several dozen; certainly less than 100.  A
salesman is proposing a 300 node LAN as a feasible solution to a potential
customer.  Surely the man is dreaming.

 - doug gee

------------------------------

To: comp-sys-ibm-pc-digest@seismo.CSS.GOV
From: cs223a38@umbc3.umd.edu (              )
Subject: question about interrupt driven LAN protocol
Date: 16 Jul 87 19:14:05 GMT

         I am developing a simple LAN program. I want it to be interrupt
driven. In the first phase, I will be having only two Ats to work with.
One will be the master and other the slave. I want to be able to perform
R/W on the slave's disk. How do I go about doing this. Let me give you
some specifications.
The program is to be developed on an AT under MS-DOS. Program will be
written in `C' using Microsoft's `C' compiler 4.0. The machines are to
hooked up by standard RS-232 cables.
Questions:
How do I disable the slave by sending an interrupt form the master, to
interrupt its current task and then execute the command from the master
on the slave (eg. write to its disk). After the command execution has
been completed the normal task should be resumed.
How to make the slave respond to an interrupt sent thru the port, seems
to be a problem to me.

Please respond by sending e-mail to dipto@umbc2 (BITNET) or posting an
article here. Any suggestions, guidelines will be welcomed. Thanks to
all of you in advance. I am a Unix person; and haven't been in touch
with the PC world until this project came up. So long for now ...

Dipto Chakravarty                                net address
Computer Science Department                      BITNET: dipto@umbc2
U. of Maryland Baltimore County
Catonsville, Maryland  21228.

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 17 Jul 87 13:37:50 CST
From:         Arlene Slocum <ARLENE%UKANVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Cataloging Software Wanted for a small library
To:           IBM PC USER GROUP <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

I work for a research institute and we are looking for cataloging software for
our library (we have around 15000 titles). Does anyone know how I can find out
about what is available? We plan to use an IBM AT compatible. We will consider
anything from good shareware to more expensive programs (up to $1000) if it doe
s what we want. Thank you.
                              Arlene Slocum
                              Programmer/Analyst
                              Institute for Public Policy and
                                Business Research
                              University of Kansas
                              Lawrence, Kansas 66045
                              913-864-3701
                              Bitnet: ARLENE at UKANVM

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1987  11:30 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
To:   INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: Print screen problem on PCDOS 3.3

I am having a strange problem with "Prt Sc" on an IBM-PC/XT running
PCDOS 3.3.  My printer is a NEC PC-8023A.  When I copy files to PRN or
use control-P it works fine.  When I use Prt Sc to dump the screen to
the printer, everything prints on one line.  It's as if the DOS Prt Sc
function is stripping all line feeds or simply not adding them.  Has
anyone else had this problem?  I don't want to turn on the printer's
auto line feed on receipt of carriage return because that would result
in double line feeds when copying a file to PRN.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ

------------------------------

Date: Mon 20 Jul 87 09:49:53-EDT
From: Chien Li Chung <UI.CHUNG@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Newspaper Billing software wanted
To: info-ibmpc@C.ISI.EDU

Does anyone know of any packages out for the PC that deals with billing
advertisers for a newspaper operation? Thanks.

Chien-Li Chung
Columbia Daily Spectator

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 87 14:49:30 EDT
From: <rbw@cs.williams.edu>
To: info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
Subject: Kaypro -> PC Query

Has anyone written or heard of a program to read floppies from a
Kaypro CP/M machine and convert them to PC format?  Any pointers
would be much appreciated.

Richard Ward
rbw@cs.williams.edu
89rbw@williams.bitnet

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 20 Jul 87 15:21:50 EDT
From: G B Reilly <reilly@facman.wharton.upenn.edu>
To:       info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
Subject:  PS/2 Microchannel 5.25 1.2Mb drive wanted

Why isn't IBM making one?  Is anyone else?

------------------------------

Date: Mon 20 Jul 1987 16:35:33 EDT
From: <DJEX@LL.ARPA>
Subject: Memory Resident Program Extractor Wanted
To: info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu

There is a need to find a piece of software which can control the
memory resident software, which includes Drivers and "Load and Stay
Resident" programs.  The requirement is to know hou much each piece
of Software takes up and to be able to unload it.  There is usually
not a problem of loading it, just unloading it, which now requires
rebooting with a different batch file.

Can anyone tell me if such a program exists, and where to get it.

------------------------------

Date:	Tue, 21 Jul 87 12:22:40 PDT
From:     5103%LSN.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: HP Laserjet II Hebrew softfont Wanted
To:       INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU

     I  recently  bought an HP Laserjet II.   Can anyone tell  me
about existing software for Hebrew softfonts?   I know of several
programs  which can be used to create and edit new fonts,  but  I
would be more interested in already existing softfonts.

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 21 Jul 87 10:41:13 EDT
From:     Gloria Wren <wren@BRL.MIL>
To:       Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject:  Need machine roundoff constant

I need to set a machine round-off constant for a public domain code
called Episode from Lawrence Livermore Lab.  The code is the older
version of what is today known as DGEAR, an ODE integrator.  In the
program which runs on a Cyber 7600, a value of UROUND=7.105427406E-15 is
set.  The comment also says to use UROUND=9.5367E-7 for short precision
on IBM 360 or 370.  Another name for this variable is SEPS.  Does anyone
know the correct value for an IBM-AT or any way to determine it since
neither value above works?  The constant is used to compare with desired
tolerance.

           Gloria Wren
           Ballistic Research Laboratory
           wren@brl.arpa  or  wren@brl.mil